PDA

View Full Version : Considering

RaineyDevil
10-08-2010, 02:15 AM
Proposing to my girlfriend on midcourt after the UNC game....what does everyone think?

snowdenscold
10-08-2010, 02:43 AM
Depends, does she read DBR message boards?

juise
10-08-2010, 02:45 AM
Proposing to my girlfriend on midcourt after the UNC game....what does everyone think?

If she loves Duke basketball and it's a Duke win, I think it sounds like a great idea. If she doesn't love Duke basketball, if she's only going with you because she loves you and loves being with you, then you may want to consider something that's more special to her.

Are you sure you'll be able to get on the court? If I remember right (last game in Cameron was 2004), it's usually pretty well roped off after games.

RepoMan
10-08-2010, 07:21 AM

Marriage is a big commitment

jimsumner
10-08-2010, 09:21 AM
I've been going to Duke basketball games since Lyndon Johnson was president.

I've never seen an on-court proposal.

There might be reasons for that.

Some things are more important than hoops.

Just my two cents.

hurleyfor3
10-08-2010, 09:33 AM
After the game? Ususally it's a disorganized mess on court, with people milling about and dismantling stuff. If it's a dramatic victory you have kids storming the court. If unc wins by 20 you probably just want to go home. Are these the kind of unknowns you want to deal with?

At the very least, I'd talk to the athletic department about your plans. This may have been done before, not that that's bad but it would know how to handle things. It may offer alternative ideas where you have better control over the environment, such as before the game or during a timeout.

4decadedukie
10-08-2010, 09:43 AM
It certainly would be a quite, intimate, private environment for such a deeply personal and life-long commitment.
:D

ACCBBallFan
10-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Suggest you think about upper level of Duke Chapel instead.

Easier to predict availability.

jimsumner
10-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Suggest you think about upper level of Duke Chapel instead.

Easier to predict availability.

Plus, it won't be on national TV. In case she says no. :)

BD80
10-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Plus, it won't be on national TV. In case she says no. :)

You certainly wouldn't want it to be part of a PowerPoint presentation (this was #11 of 13)!

I'm still trying to come up with things that are more important than hoops ...

If she is fanatic about the Devils, then it might be the right move, something you can tell future generations.

Best of luck with the proposal and with the marriage!

flyingdutchdevil
10-08-2010, 12:07 PM
You certainly wouldn't want it to be part of a PowerPoint presentation (this was #11 of 13)!

Ahhhh - The first Karen Owens referencing. Been waiting for someone to break the ice and use it

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-08-2010, 12:15 PM
I'm a lifelong Duke fan and about as Duke blue as you can get. I think if center court after the Carolina game had been chosen for the marriage proposal I received back in the Bubas days, I would have been very disappointed and upset. This venue and timing are more about basketball than your love for someone you think you want to marry.

A proposal and where it takes place should focus on the young woman you love and include thoughtful touches that reflect your commitment to her.

OldPhiKap
10-08-2010, 05:01 PM
The Sarah P. Duke Gardens may be a better idea. After a nice post-game stroll from Cameron, if it is important that you do it on that day.

(Better yet, do it before the game and away from the stadium. Your first game together as an engaged couple -- captures the fun without the issue that DiBD and others rightly raise).

$.02

dukelifer
10-08-2010, 05:27 PM

Not a good idea on any level. There are so many ways this could come back to bite you. Make the proposal about her.