PDA

View Full Version : pot meet kettle?

kellsie16
10-07-2010, 11:37 PM
yeah, acc tournament getting a sponsor, real bummer. wait....how many ads can you count on this page alone? hmmmmm.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=35730

i guess no one is immune to the need for some ad revenue from time to time.

ElonIsRising
10-07-2010, 11:43 PM
i can't believe you man. how can you call dbr out like that? they need the ad revenue to keep the site up that i am sure you so desperately rely on for information on a daily basis.

mods, lets be sure to lock this up before it gets out of hand. wouldn't want any negativity or criticism swirling around here. :mad:

Bob Green
10-07-2010, 11:47 PM
mods, lets be sure to lock this up before it gets out of hand. wouldn't want any negativity or criticism swirling around here. :mad:

There is no reason to lock this thread. DBR has no problem with criticism as long as it stays within the boundaries spelled out in the posting rules.

Bluedog
10-08-2010, 12:03 AM
The ACC football tournament has been sponsored by Dr. Pepper since 2005. I don't think it's had much of an effect. While I agree the corporate sponsorships have somewhat gotten out of control, it's just how it's been going the past several years. I see no problem with ACC basketball getting a sponsor. At least, it's not like it says "Best Buy" on the front of Duke jerseys as they do in soccer worldwide. I'm not a fan of that...

Edouble
10-08-2010, 02:15 AM
yeah, acc tournament getting a sponsor, real bummer. wait....how many ads can you count on this page alone? hmmmmm.

"We hope this doesn't happen" --DBR

I don't think they royally called out the ACC Tourney for considering it. They just said that they hope it doesn't happen. It's not like they were happy to put ads on the site either. They did what they had to do.

hurleyfor3
10-08-2010, 08:50 AM
Fair question. Here's the difference: The ACC is considering a title sponsor, selling the name of the tournament like most college football bowl games do. It would become the Bojangles ACC Tournament or whatever. We're not the T-Mobile Duke Basketball Report (to cite the ad that is showing up on my screen right now). There's be a giant Bojangles or whatever logo at center court, on screen going into and coming out of timeouts, et cetera. A few conferences already do this.

Also, the ACC already makes tons of money off the tournament from teevee rights and ticket sales ($360 times 23,000 seats when it's in Greensboro). DBR doesn't. What would the league do with the extra money, anyway? What exactly is it competing with in North Carolina in early March?

The ACC tournament already has tons of sponsors at the event site, something on the order of a dozen. I in fact wish a couple former sponsors would come back. Alltel used to hand out those plastic ticket jacket thingies for free, but they weren't at the tournament this year.

If I'm the ACC, before getting a title sponsor I'd look into selling the tickets BC or Miami don't want back to the public. Large portions of the upper deck in Greensboro were empty for the entire 2010 tournament. Quit having it in Atlanta, that kind of thing.

CameronBornAndBred
10-08-2010, 08:53 AM
The ACC football tournament has been sponsored by Dr. Pepper since 2005.
Damn...there's a tournament I've been dying for, and I've totally missed it!

superdave
10-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Damn...there's a tournament I've been dying for, and I've totally missed it!

They can name the ACC Tournament whatever they want, but I will continue to call it the ACC Tournament. If it means more $ for scholarships for the non-revenue sports, faaaaantastic.

Super "As long as they dont name it after Dean Smith" Dave

jimsumner
10-08-2010, 09:24 AM

Your outrage might be more justified if DBR were a premium site for which you paid.

deezl
10-08-2010, 10:43 AM

I didn't see one ad, but then again I use Firefox with Ad Block Plus.

Chard
10-08-2010, 12:52 PM
I didn't see one ad, but then again I use Firefox with Ad Block Plus.

I use Firefox as well for that purpose. I did use IE yesterday to look at the front page and the ad on the right featured hot girls and an advertisement that said I could "meet them." I must say I was a little shocked. It wasn't the content, it was the venue.

The OP has a point. I don't have a problem with sponsorship for either DBR or the ACC.

Duvall
10-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Also, the ACC already makes tons of money off the tournament from teevee rights and ticket sales ($360 times 23,000 seats when it's in Greensboro). DBR doesn't. What would the league do with the extra money, anyway?

I hope the money goes to the schools, where it can be used to pay for scholarships for the student-athletes new and better football facilities.

If I'm the ACC, before getting a title sponsor I'd look into selling the tickets BC or Miami don't want back to the public. Large portions of the upper deck in Greensboro were empty for the entire 2010 tournament. Quit having it in Atlanta, that kind of thing.

But the tickets were all sold, I think - people (Heel fans) just didn't bother showing up to the games. That's why the league keeps going to the Georgia Dome; the conference makes more money selling 35,000 seats at full price in a 55,000 seat arena than it does selling 23,000 seats at full price in a 23,000 seat arena.