PDA

View Full Version : Insightful Duke Preview From USA Today (with new quotes)

Greg_Newton
10-07-2010, 07:30 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/2010-10-07-duke-blue-devils-season-preview_N.htm

Highlights:

K on Kyrie:

"Kyrie, coming in, I would never say he's more talented than (Williams)," Krzyzewski said. "But he's more prepared to play the point guard position. Jason didn't play point in high school. He was still learning the position.

"Kyrie has a much better understanding coming in."

K On Curry and PT:

"He would probably be a guy that in tight end-of-game situations would be on the court because he has a really good knowledge of the game and he's never going to be nervous.

"He's not afraid of the moment."

K on the Plumbros:

"I think it's their time to go to another level," Krzyzewski said of the Plumlees. "Physically, they're ready. Hopefully, confidence-wise and maturity-wise, they'll do it."

How can you not love Mr. Singler?

Singler, from Medford, Ore., averaged 17.7 points and seven rebounds and hit 39.9% of his three-pointers as a junior. This season he could return to the post, where he played his first two seasons, to give the Plumlees a breather at times.

"I couldn't really care less as long as we win," Singler said.

And I just thought this was kind of funny:

That Krzyzewski is emphasizing defense to his players is no surprise. "Coach always notices the defensive end, not really the offensive end," senior guard Nolan Smith says.

Gthoma2a
10-07-2010, 07:35 PM
That Nolan quote was a thing of beauty!

OldPhiKap
10-07-2010, 08:01 PM

If the other team can't score, you're always in the game whether your shots are falling or not.

I am ramped about getting this season going. Should be some very exciting ball! In addition to the returning crowd, I am really looking forward to KI, Seth, and Andre making major contributions. They have the skill, and with the speed we will be running, they will get their opportunities if they produce in practice.

Time to pursue the prize for 2011.

CameronBornAndBred
10-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Great photo to highlight the article. How soon until Kyrie and Nolan are dubbed "the one - two punch"?

Devil07
10-07-2010, 08:18 PM
I thought K's comments on Curry were particularly interesting. You'd have to assume that Nolan and Kyrie would be on the floor at the end of games, but it sure sounds like Seth would also be in the game at the end. That's not particularly surprising, but it does make us a pretty small team. I wonder if we'll see more use of offense/defense substitutions this year or whether K is content to give up any size and rebounding advantage to have 3 guards on the floor. There are so many interesting pieces to this team, and I can't wait to see how it all plays out.

Greg_Newton
10-07-2010, 08:35 PM

Haha. I think the relationship between Nolan and K will be an entertaining thing to watch, even after he graduates. He seems to be one of the few players in history that dares (and gets away with) poking fun at ol' Coach K sometimes. I have a feeling that comment was made a little tongue in cheek...

SuperTurkey
10-07-2010, 08:53 PM
I love KI's confidence, but if those quotes had come from Harrison we would going nuts about his cocky attitude. You know, like with the meltdown over his "I'm that dude" t-shirt. :)

Bob Green
10-07-2010, 11:14 PM
I wonder if we'll see more use of offense/defense substitutions this year....

Coach Krzyzewski is a master at offense/defense substitutions. I'm sure we will see lots of them in close games.

Greg_Newton
10-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Coach Krzyzewski is a master at offense/defense substitutions. I'm sure we will see lots of them in close games.

...so basically, no, we shouldn't see any. ;)

gumbomoop
10-07-2010, 11:47 PM
I thought K's comments on Curry were particularly interesting. You'd have to assume that Nolan and Kyrie would be on the floor at the end of games, but it sure sounds like Seth would also be in the game at the end. That's not particularly surprising, but it does make us a pretty small team. I wonder if we'll see more use of offense/defense substitutions this year or whether K is content to give up any size and rebounding advantage to have 3 guards on the floor. There are so many interesting pieces to this team, and I can't wait to see how it all plays out.

In those games when Duke leads by, say, 7-8 points with 2-3 minutes left, I'd guess Seth would be on the floor if he's a good FT-shooter, since Kyle can defend the 4, and the other team might be tempted to hoist up some 3s rather than spend time posting-up a small defender. If Andre is a far better FT bet than Seth, then probably he'd be in there end-game. Or, say, Duke leads by 5 and has the ball with less than a minute left - maybe it would be Kyle, Nolan, Kyrie, Seth, and Andre.

I don't really expect lots of close games, but there would be a few. I'll definitely be surprised at any loss. I'm always surprised when we lose. Entitlement-Kool-aid, I guess.

gam7
10-08-2010, 03:11 AM
Time to pursue the prize for 2011.

Let's also pursue the pumpkin.

JohnGalt
10-08-2010, 04:24 AM
I love KI's confidence, but if those quotes had come from Harrison we would going nuts about his cocky attitude. You know, like with the meltdown over his "I'm that dude" t-shirt. :)

I disagree 100%. Laettner said "I'm the first Christian Laettner" to a comment comparing him to Danny Ferry (I think) and KI responding that there's "only one KI" after being compared to CP3 shows confidence, not cockiness. And that's respectable. As flattering as it'd be, I really wouldn't want to be compared to anyone already in the business nearly as much as I'd want to make my own name. I never understood why athletes wore other's numbers or commented how they wanted to be 'the next so&so'.

I'm proud of him for that statement as I'd be if it came from Harrison's mouth...

basket1544
10-08-2010, 07:33 AM
I also don't think Kyrie is being cocky. I mean it is much less cocky than, "Yeah, I am the next CP. My game is just like his." I guess the best response would be to say that a comparison to CP is flattering but not one I am ready for yet, but that wouldn't be a true response. I like Kyrie's response.

obsesseddukefan
10-08-2010, 12:11 PM
If this doesnt get you excited I dont know what will. I cannot wait till season starts. ;)

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/2010-10-07-duke-blue-devils-season-preview_N.htm

El_Diablo
10-08-2010, 12:18 PM
thread already exists here:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?22519-Insightful-Duke-Preview-From-USA-Today-%28with-new-quotes%29

obsesseddukefan
10-08-2010, 12:25 PM
thread already exists here:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?22519-Insightful-Duke-Preview-From-USA-Today-%28with-new-quotes%29

Sorry for the mixup, it's friday and I am not seeng straight...my appologies El.

obsesseddukefan
10-08-2010, 12:28 PM
was excited to get the season started but after reading this article I literally have goosebumps. Great insight on Kyrie, and always nice to hear we will put a little more emphasis on the up tempo game this year. Very very excited. Hoping the Plumlees put up some big big defensive numbers this year as well.

El_Diablo
10-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Sorry for the mixup, it's friday and I am not seeng straight...my appologies El.

No need to apologize...just pointing out that there's already a discussion started on this. I even avoided the condescending "try using the search feature first" comment that usually follows when someone commits the mortal sin of duplicating a thread. :)

Anyway, I'm excited too. Coach K's comments reflect those he made last week about "pursuing" rather than "protecting" the title. He's been emphasizing the faster pace and speaking very highly of Kyrie, Seth, and Ryan. It's gonna be fun.

The Gordog
10-08-2010, 12:52 PM

How can you not love Mr. Singler?

Singler, from Medford, Ore., averaged 17.7 points and seven rebounds and hit 39.9% of his three-pointers as a junior.
This season he could return to the post, where he played his first two seasons, to give the Plumlees a breather at times.

"I couldn't really care less as long as we win," Singler said.

Love his attitude! Plus, he used the correct construction - I guess "could care less" is pet peeve of mine...

MChambers
10-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Love his attitude! Plus, he used the correct construction - I guess "could care less" is pet peeve of mine...

I was happy to see he got it right. And "could care less" is sort of a cleaner version of what Ol' Roy said on national teevee after Kansas lost to Syracuse.

superdave
10-08-2010, 02:17 PM
I love USA Today and all you guys, but Duke's season has not been analyzed until Jumbo chimes in. One week away? Two weeks?

Super "The Phase threads are the best" Dave

Edouble
10-08-2010, 03:37 PM

That really made my day as well, that Kyle said it correctly. I am sick and tired of hearing people tell me that they "could care less". It makes no sense.

MarkD83
10-09-2010, 01:13 PM
By the way I just listened to the Grad school camp out video on Duke Blue Planet. Great stuff from Coach K.

striker219
10-09-2010, 06:29 PM
I love USA Today and all you guys, but Duke's season has not been analyzed until Jumbo chimes in. One week away? Two weeks?

Super "The Phase threads are the best" Dave

Last year, Phase 0 was posted on October 15, 2009, so...

A little light reading to keep you occupied until Phase 0 2010. (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?17372-Phase-0)

ACCBBallFan
10-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Last year, Phase 0 was posted on October 15, 2009, so...

A little light reading to keep you occupied until Phase 0 2010. (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?17372-Phase-0)

Thanks for posting that. Too much for a geezer like me to read on line, but I was able to print the first 120 posts before my ink cartridge ran dry at end of page 6.

What impressed me was both the quality and the general civility of the discussion. Jumbo does a great job at thorough topic selection and also at preventing anyone foolish enough to attempt to rderail his "Phase threads", which ws not the case in last year's thread for that reason.

Maybe it's because Duke ending up winning it all, and because hope springs eternal this time of year but in those 120 posts there were a lot fewer than I would have expected that in retrospect were way off:

Nolan not having a break out year

Duke not being Final 4 potential national champ material

lack of quickness will haunt the team success

will have trouble in half court offense

prediction of small ball with Singler and Lance the priamry bigs.

Even of these 5 items, it was usually just a post or two not a recurring theme.

Other than that though amazing how well all the DBR posters prognosticated with more than 90% of the posts right on the money.

There was not the attacks on Lance and Zoubs that I thought might have been there, possibly because at that point, actually shortly after the initial post in exhibitions, both Plumlees were starting, until Mason hurt his wrist a testament to point #1 Jumbo raised.

Will read through pages 7 to the end as I get time.

ACCBBallFan
10-10-2010, 01:27 AM
I finally made it thru all 240 posts and trend stayed pretty much the same.

A couple more items that turned out to be false but still over 90% of posts right on:

Can Jon be a PG? - can't win national championship without Bobby Hurley or Jason Williams or Kyrie Irving type.

edouble had a creative definition of Horvathian

I had to look long and hard but even found one post #152 where Jumbo mis-spoke but he covered himself with a category called "Surprises": "How about this - either Lance Thomas or Brian Zoubek started virtually every game last season. They won't start this year ... Miles is clearly ahead of a pair of seniors - Thomas and Zoubek - in the pecking order".

Not alone in that as another stated Lance would be the 4th big in the depth chart

Kyle will not be playing his natural college position

Kyle will get more (well deserved) All American recognition than Jon Scheyer

If a SG is guarding Jon (instead of a shorter PG) will Scheyer not be as effective as he was at end of last season when they had to guard Elliott.

Not enough go to guys (just Kyle and Jon, not Nolan) is most glaring weakness

To have 240 posts and to have so few mis-statements many of which were reasonable at time that just turned out not to be true in retrospect is amazing.

Props to oldnavy in #230 for being the only poster I recall pointing out what may have ended up being the biggest surprise "AND don’t discount the second chances a good rebounding team gets as well".

Lots of posters were thinking biggest team ever but no one else that I recall specifically mentioned Offensive rebounds.

Not only a great start in post #1 but a great wrap up in post # 239 by Jumbo.

johnb
10-11-2010, 09:12 AM
I thought K's comments on Curry were particularly interesting. You'd have to assume that Nolan and Kyrie would be on the floor at the end of games, but it sure sounds like Seth would also be in the game at the end. That's not particularly surprising, but it does make us a pretty small team....

Some of k's comments seem designed less to inform the public than to motivate his own players. Curry may or may not be in the game at the end, but he probably won't be in games at the beginning, and k certainly wants him to have the attitude of a starter.