PDA

View Full Version : Feinstein should keep his thoughts to basketball.

CameronBornAndBred
10-06-2010, 11:58 AM
I hate when people continue to assume that Duke football is just being "Duke football" again. Everyone knew that this would be a rebuilding year, we don't have the experience that last year's squad of seniors was able to use to be as successful. But we are showing improvements, and while we still (thankfully) have many games left year, next year we are going to be a team to be reckoned with. Cutcliffe has these guys on a solid plan, one that is still only in it's third year.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/voices/blogpost/8405926/

BD80
10-06-2010, 12:07 PM
I hate when people continue to assume that Duke football is just being "Duke football" again. Everyone knew that this would be a rebuilding year, we don't have the experience that last year's squad of seniors was able to use to be as successful. But we are showing improvements, and while we still (thankfully) have many games left year, next year we are going to be a team to be reckoned with. Cutcliffe has these guys on a solid plan, one that is still only in it's third year.

Actually, he is probably better off writing about golf, and just golf

Bluedog
10-06-2010, 12:53 PM

Actually, he is probably better off writing about golf, and just golf

I think he's better writing about nothing that's currently happening. His historical stories are MUCH more enjoyable to read. On another note, I somewhat disagree with the above. I think people thought we could be improved from last year, but with the schedule had expectations of 4-5 wins this year. That's a reasonable number when "rebuilding" and I think we've fared far below expectations. Obviously, it's still possible to get to that mark, but after our performances against Army and Maryland, we need to improve FAST. We keep hearing "next year" is the year, but frankly, that's what I hear from Cubs fans all the time. I still think Cutcliffe is the guy for the job though. He's a great coach and motivator. I'm still not convinced about the effectiveness of his recruiting strategy however....except for QBs.

superdave
10-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Isnt Feinstein doing a book on Dean Smith?

Fact of the matter, Duke football is going to have to dig its way out of the last two decades. As long as people believe in Cutcliffe and the team, who cares what the pundits have to say?

Duvall
10-06-2010, 01:07 PM
I'm not sure Feinstein actually has thoughts at this point. His columns and commentary seems to consist mostly of conditioned responses to certain stimuli - lashing out at Duke football, the Duke administration, Tiger Woods - regardless of whatever he's actually supposed to be talking about at the time.

sagegrouse
10-06-2010, 01:26 PM
John F. has been saying this for years: "SAT" conference with Rice, Vandy, Army and Navy. I don't think Stanford, recently a top ten team, is a candidate.

Ain't gonna happen. Duke and Duke football can't afford the pay cut. :p

John really grooves on the mid-majors and the lesser known conferences (Patriot League, service academies, etc.). That's his right.

sagegrouse

CameronBornAndBred
10-06-2010, 01:34 PM
I think people thought we could be improved from last year, but with the schedule had expectations of 4-5 wins this year. That's a reasonable number when "rebuilding" and I think we've fared far below expectations.
I agree with that. I but you Cutcliffe agrees with that. I think the program, team and fans saw a reasonable chance of bowling this year coming into the season. I know I did. I still think we have a bright future, which is why I get turned off when people say Duke shouldn't play in the ACC or FBS. It's a defeatest attitude.

6th Man
10-06-2010, 01:36 PM
I'm sure it would be in Duke's best interest to give up football, drop out of the ACC and then play the "Conference SAT" teams in basketball. :rolleyes: Come on Feinstein...

I will say this though...it is nice to see Duke finally getting committed to football. The fact that Duke did not even have a 100 yard practice field until Cut arrived is absolutely astonishing to me.

CameronBornAndBred
10-06-2010, 03:10 PM
So the folks on the front page have pitched in with their thoughts...and it's hard to argue against any of it. Well said guys!

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=35774

Biscuit King
10-06-2010, 03:10 PM
The greatest mystery to me is how Feinstein has cultivated a friendship with Krzyzewski for all these years. Honestly, it makes me respect K just a little less.

Feinstein should stick to commenting on subjects where he can actually add value to the conversation, and if that happens, we'll probably never hear from him again.

oldnavy
10-06-2010, 03:28 PM
The greatest mystery to me is how Feinstein has cultivated a friendship with Krzyzewski for all these years. Honestly, it makes me respect K just a little less.
Feinstein should stick to commenting on subjects where he can actually add value to the conversation, and if that happens, we'll probably never hear from him again.

Really? I feel the exact opposite. I respect K for being able to tolerate the curmudgeon if he can, but I doubt that they are real close.

Didn't JF get all riled up a few years back when the administration went a different way than he wanted with a coaching selection?? Seems like it envolved the football program, anybody remember the details?

OldPhiKap
10-06-2010, 03:29 PM
I would agree with Feinstein if the administration was not willing to commit to football. However, it clearly has attempted to do so by bringing in a real D-1 Coach; giving him real resources to get the staff he wants; invested in new facilities and infrastructure, etc. So, I think that John has missed the boat on this one.

Any school that is not willing to commit to trying should not be in D-1. I think that there have been long periods in the recent past where Duke fell into that category, unfortunately. I am glad to see that we are no longer doing that, and that we are investing in trying to build a competitive program. I believe we are making forward progress, and do not confuse some disappointing losses for lack of effort to improve.

The best way to prove Feinstein wrong is to field teams that can compete in the conference. We have several more opportunities this year to prove that we can play in this league. While I wish we had won some of the games gone by, no reason to cry over spilled milk. Win the next one, and move on.

killerleft
10-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Gosh darn it, you all know that Feinstein bleeds Duke Blue:rolleyes:. I only read his columns when somebody links them here, but what he's written in those is, to reuse a partial Brodhead line, "bad enough".

Don't write about Duke, John. Maybe you care too much. Maybe you don't care at all. Who can really tell? But it's a sure thing that you'll say something stupid.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Really? I feel the exact opposite. I respect K for being able to tolerate the curmudgeon if he can, but I doubt that they are real close.

Didn't JF get all riled up a few years back when the administration went a different way than he wanted with a coaching selection?? Seems like it envolved the football program, anybody remember the details?

I don't think they are anything close to friendly, if I am remembering right. I was under the impression that K and JF have been icy for many, many years, including many thinly (if at all) veiled attacks from JF on his blog and in articles.

I admit that I have enjoyed some of his writing in the past but I believe that in many Duke athletic circles, JF is persona non grata.

LSanders
10-06-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm not sure Feinstein actually has thoughts at this point. His columns and commentary seems to consist mostly of conditioned responses to certain stimuli - lashing out at Duke football, the Duke administration, Tiger Woods - regardless of whatever he's actually supposed to be talking about at the time.

:D :D :D Well said!

You tell 'em, John! A deepening talent pool ... A rejuvenated fan base ... Improved facilities ... Who needs it?

I say, let's dump Cutcliffe and hire Harry Potter as coach! Let's see ... Hagrid at left tackle ... Ron Weasley at free safety (course, we'll have to get a waiver for the broom) ... Maybe add some Vela to the cheer leading squad ... And, this is starting to take shape!

Rebuilding a program based on sound fundamentals, intense conditioning, teamwork, a desire to be great, a deep belief in being part of something bigger than yourself ... Are you kidding? That's a fantasy!

Don't believe me and John? Just ask Coach K!!

OldPhiKap
10-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Rebuilding a program based on sound fundamentals, intense conditioning, teamwork, a desire to be great, a deep belief in being part of something bigger than yourself ... Are you kidding? That's a fantasy!

Nail
Head

sagegrouse
10-06-2010, 04:43 PM
I don't think they are anything close to friendly, if I am remembering right. I was under the impression that K and JF have been icy for many, many years, including many thinly (if at all) veiled attacks from JF on his blog and in articles.

I admit that I have enjoyed some of his writing in the past but I believe that in many Duke athletic circles, JF is persona non grata.

In defense of Feinstein: When we had the 100th anniversary of the Duke Chronicle a few years ago (2006?), John organized a terrific panel on sports, full of Duke guys like Bill Brill. FWIW, Seth Davis, also a Chron alum, was a no-show. John hung out all weekend and, believe it or not, was a cheerful addition to the festivities.

John lives on controversy. Look at the book that made him rich: Season on the Brink. Do you think he was popular in the state of Indiana after it was published?

sagegrouse

HaveFunExpectToWin
10-06-2010, 04:57 PM
John F. has been saying this for years: "SAT" conference with Rice, Vandy, Army and Navy. I don't think Stanford, recently a top ten team, is a candidate.

Ain't gonna happen. Duke and Duke football can't afford the pay cut. :p

John really grooves on the mid-majors and the lesser known conferences (Patriot League, service academies, etc.). That's his right.

sagegrouse

The original name for this idea is the Magnolia Conference. Schools included would be the Southern Ivy's like Duke, Vandy, Tulane, Rice, etc.

A Vandy fan resurrected it awhile back and created this pipe-dream - http://www.magnolialeague.com/ It's all in jest, Vandy has no desire to give up the millions in SEC money. However, it would be nice to consider 6-7 wins as a down year instead of an golden age. Go Dores.

jipops
10-06-2010, 05:09 PM
By Feinstein's logic, shouldn't the entire ACC dump football? Or go mid-major?

Tom B.
10-06-2010, 07:06 PM

I don't think it was a coaching selection. I believe it was the selection of Joe Alleva to succeed Tom Butters as Athletic Director. It's my understanding that Feinstein wanted Tom Mickle to be the next AD, and made no secret about his displeasure when that didn't happen.

Tom B.
10-06-2010, 07:17 PM

For whatever it's worth, here's a column (http://www.feinsteinonthebrink.com/index.php?categories=Kevin%20White) that Feinstein wrote earlier this year in which he talks about several of these topics, including his relationships with K and the school, and his feelings on the Alleva/Mickle matter. The bottom line (at least, from Feinstein's perspective) -- he acknowledges that his relationship with K has had its ups and downs, but his biggest beef over the years was really with Nan Keohane.

Other parts of the column are interesting, especially in hindsight, like how he frets that Duke wouldn't be anything more than a Sweet 16-level basketball program as long as K continued to coach the U.S. national team.

(Note that I'm not making fun of Feinstein for having that concern at the time. Heck, even I was questioning the wisdom of K continuing to coach the national team after Beijing. I'm glad to have been proved wrong.)

Duvall
10-06-2010, 07:38 PM
I don't think it was a coaching selection. I believe it was the selection of Joe Alleva to succeed Tom Butters as Athletic Director. It's my understanding that Feinstein wanted Tom Mickle to be the next AD, and made no secret about his displeasure when that didn't happen.

That was the main beef, and the one about which he is still bitter. But Feinstein also complained about several of Alleva's coaching hires (some of which were, admittedly, terrible.)

sagegrouse
10-06-2010, 07:45 PM
(Note that I'm not making fun of Feinstein for having that concern at the time. Heck, even I was questioning the wisdom of K continuing to coach the national team after Beijing. I'm glad to have been proved wrong.)

In terms of Feinstein's support for Tom Mickle -- it was genuine. I attended a reception in the DC area after the Duke search committee (of which John was a member) had recommended Mickle, and the purpose was for John F. to introduce Mickle to some of the alums in the DC area. I also heard his NPR broadcast after Alleva was chosen instead that really roasted Pres. Keohane.

Sounds like he may be getting along OK with the basketball office -- but give him time!

sagegrouse

RelativeWays
10-06-2010, 08:12 PM
I am guilty of throwing Duke football under the bus this season for its performance, I'll admit it. I'll say stupid things to vent, feel like a donkey, get over it and regroup for the next game. At the end of the day, I believe in the team and I want it to succeed, same with Coach Cut. I go to games, buy the merch, actually know players names and positions, I'm all in (I'm just a poor loser).

I think Feinstein, as one of Duke's more visible alums, is despicable. Lets not get into the whole Lacrosse thing where he flipped his viewpoint to match whatever the dominant feeling was that the time, he has publicly thrown the team under the bus time and time again. Its not just this year, he did it last year when Duke was doing well in October. He shrugged it off as Cutcliffe is a decent coach and in reality the ACC is really terrible. I don't think this does our team any favors for support or confidence. They need a "Dukie V" character more than the BB team does.

BD80
10-06-2010, 08:26 PM
For whatever it's worth, here's a column (http://www.feinsteinonthebrink.com/index.php?categories=Kevin%20White) that Feinstein wrote earlier this year in which he talks about several of these topics, including his relationships with K and the school, and his feelings on the Alleva/Mickle matter. The bottom line (at least, from Feinstein's perspective) -- he acknowledges that his relationship with K has had its ups and downs, but his biggest beef over the years was really with Nan Keohane.

Other parts of the column are interesting, especially in hindsight, like how he frets that Duke wouldn't be anything more than a Sweet 16-level basketball program as long as K continued to coach the U.S. national team.

I have found over the years that the best way to be able to say "I told you so" is to defend Coach K's decisions rather than to question them.

Just out of curiosity how many on this board have openly questioned a Coach K decision and have had the clear opportunity to later say "I told you so?"

arnie
10-06-2010, 10:12 PM

I think Feinstein is more often right than he is wrong - and this is the best example.

verga
10-06-2010, 10:26 PM
all i can say on the matter of Duke football is when, when will it turn around? we have heard how the program is in good hands and i do think that Cutcliffe is the man for the job but winning not talking about winning is the measuring stick. we heard about how we should be a bowl team next year (2009) it didn't happen and this year the team seems to be stuck in neutral. i don't have any answers but my opinion is Feinstein may not be far off base, of course just because it comes out of his mouth doesn't make it law but he does present a good case. i'm a Duke fan, i support them no matter the season but it would be nice to go to a bowl every now and then, i know the staff is frustrated and i hope the season is not lost.

devildownunder
10-06-2010, 11:03 PM
I read the commentary linked on the front page until I realized it was about something Feinstein said about the football program. Then I immediately stopped.

pfrduke
10-07-2010, 12:05 AM
all i can say on the matter of Duke football is when, when will it turn around? we have heard how the program is in good hands and i do think that Cutcliffe is the man for the job but winning not talking about winning is the measuring stick. we heard about how we should be a bowl team next year (2009) it didn't happen and this year the team seems to be stuck in neutral. i don't have any answers but my opinion is Feinstein may not be far off base, of course just because it comes out of his mouth doesn't make it law but he does present a good case. i'm a Duke fan, i support them no matter the season but it would be nice to go to a bowl every now and then, i know the staff is frustrated and i hope the season is not lost.

If you're saying that he presents a good case about the football team having a less successful season thus far than some expected, fine.

But as to everything else in his comments, he makes a terrible case. Duke leaving the ACC - which, by the way, is what they would have to do if they left the ACC in football - is so far beyond rational that it doesn't really merit legitimate discussion. So much of the athletic department's revenue comes from the the school's affiliation with the ACC (and, by virtue of that affiliation, football) that moving away from the ACC would diminish the athletic profile of the University across the board, and the cut would most likely be felt in non-revenue sports.

Moreover, this supposed "SAT conference" is a geographic nightmare. Pulling in teams from random geographic locales and throwing them in a conference together because of supposed academic similarities makes no financial sense. Again, non-revenue sports would be hurt the most by the increased travel budgets necessary to compete against these "SAT" schools.

What's more, Feinstein, for all his obstreperousness, is a smart guy. He certainly knows all this, and knows he's not making an actual realistic suggestion. He's throwing these ideas out there solely to stir the pot.

I lost what little respect for him I had left when, earlier this year, listening to the local sports talk station on my way home from work before the first Duke-UNC game (he has a weekly segment with one of the Seattle afternoon guys), he called the rivalry "overrated" and said it wasn't all it was cracked up to be (and then bashed on Cameron and the current Duke student body for a while for good measure).

oldnavy
10-07-2010, 07:11 AM

I believe you are correct. I knew that John got mad about something that really was little to none of his business and he has pouted ever since.

Edouble
10-08-2010, 02:07 AM
Just out of curiosity how many on this board have openly questioned a Coach K decision and have had the clear opportunity to later say "I told you so?"

Paulus... although everyone around here loves him. I thought it was clear halfway through his sophomore season that he wasn't talented enough to play in the ACC. Sort of our own Adam Boone.

Feinstein's books aren't even that good. The Punch was well researched and crafted, but his Patriot League book bored me to tears. I never made it through. I thought A Season On the Brink wrote itself.

I like writers where I have to look up a word every once in a while.

77devil
10-08-2010, 08:45 AM

I have found over the years that the best way to be able to say "I told you so" is to defend Coach K's decisions rather than to question them.

JF wrote that he was wrong in a subsequent article. He's overly opinionated sometimes for my taste, but when it comes to Duke football, he is right about Alleva and Nan, who put the program in a hole from which it remains to be seen if and how it will recover.

I prefer a strong, knowledgeable voice willing to hold the program and the school to account at times even if he occasionally misses the mark. However Feinstein's exclusion in the media guide from the list of distinguished journalism alums is just petty.

http://www.feinsteinonthebrink.com/index.php?id=6676039482657886249

roywhite
07-07-2011, 04:29 PM
John Feinstein recently indicated he is leaving his gig as Navy football analyst after 14 seasons.

Dan Steinberg explains in his Washington Post blog (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/why-john-feinstein-left-navys-radio-broadcasts/2011/07/07/gIQAc6kD2H_blog.html)

Why? Well, it’s sort of complicated. Feinstein wrote that he had long been trying to get made an Army-Navy football documentary based on “A Civil War,” pitching the project to CBS Sports, among others.

John assures us he's not "throwing a hissy fit at being left out."

Hmmm...

CameronBornAndBred
07-07-2011, 04:41 PM
John Feinstein recently indicated he is leaving his gig as Navy football analyst after 14 seasons.

Dan Steinberg explains in his Washington Post blog (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/why-john-feinstein-left-navys-radio-broadcasts/2011/07/07/gIQAc6kD2H_blog.html)

John assures us he's not "throwing a hissy fit at being left out."

Hmmm...
Eh...I can't really fault him there. If indeed it was his idea, and he pitched it to the folks doing it now and he's not involved, he has a right to be pissed off. I can indeed imagine it would be hard for him not to be distracted and harbor ill feelings while at games seeing those cameras around.

Acymetric
07-07-2011, 04:46 PM
Eh...I can't really fault him there. If indeed it was his idea, and he pitched it to the folks doing it now and he's not involved, he has a right to be pissed off. I can indeed imagine it would be hard for him not to be distracted and harbor ill feelings while at games seeing those cameras around.

Can you blame CBS for not wanting to deal with him while they put it together though?

Reilly
07-07-2011, 06:03 PM
I once saw a hilarious parody movie poster skewering an over-the-top narcissistic professor, in which the school where the professor taught was to be featured as a movie .... in memory of that: "John Feinstein Productions Presents: "A Civil War -- a behind the scenes look at the Army/Navy game" ... Directed by John Feinstein, based on the book: "A Civil War" by John Feinstein ... narrated by John Feinstein ... featuring interesting stories by true heroes, as told to John Feinstein ... all for the greater glory of the United States of America, home of John Feinstein ...."