PDA

View Full Version : NL Playoffs thread

JasonEvans
10-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Predictions, discussions, comments go here.

Let me get you started --

1) The Reds do not have a chance. Their record was inflated by playing the majority of their games against a truly lousy division. The Phillies buzzsaw of a starting rotation will mow them down and the Reds don't even begin to have the pitching of the other teams in the NL playoffs.

2) The first team to score 2 runs will win each game in the Braves-Giants series. I think the over-under on runs scored in each game should be 4.5

3) Bobby Cox holding back Tim Hudson to not start until game 3 is a fatal mistake... or it might be genius if the Braves score a run or two for Tommy Hanson.

4) The Phillies will sweep the Reds and take out the Braves/Giants winner in 5 games.

--Jason "not sure I agree with all that, but it should get the conversation started" Evans

Duvall
10-06-2010, 11:06 AM
3) Bobby Cox holding back Tim Hudson to not start until game 3 is a fatal mistake... or it might be genius if the Braves score a run or two for Tommy Hanson.

Possibly. It may just mean that Hudson needed the rest; the Braves worked him hard down the stretch. Not sure there was much of a difference in the way Hudson and Hanson pitched in September/October, though - Hudson just got better (as in some) support.

4) The Phillies will sweep the Reds and take out the Braves/Giants winner in 5 games.

You probably should have just labeled this thread the "Phillies Coronation Thread." Then again, you could have done the same for the AL thread - I don't see any of the seven other teams in the postseason beating the Phillies in a five or seven-game series.

The Reds might actually have a better chance since they only have to steal three games.

theAlaskanBear
10-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Predictions, discussions, comments go here.

Let me get you started --

1) The Reds do not have a chance. Their record was inflated by playing the majority of their games against a truly lousy division. The Phillies buzzsaw of a starting rotation will mow them down and the Reds don't even begin to have the pitching of the other teams in the NL playoffs.

2) The first team to score 2 runs will win each game in the Braves-Giants series. I think the over-under on runs scored in each game should be 4.5

--Jason "not sure I agree with all that, but it should get the conversation started" Evans

Not so fast Jason. Remember the Central has an extra team: the hapless Pirates, and if you take them away, the 5 NL Central teams have a winning record against the 5 NL East. Additionally, the Phillies, for whatever reason, got to play 3 extra home games this year, which inflates their record. Phils and the Reds have similar away records (43 v 42 wins). The Phillies win differential of 32 comes almost entirely from the NL West (+12 games) and in their division.

Don't get me wrong, the Phillies will win the series. But Cinci actually had a more potent offense this year, the question is the pitching, which is talented but inexperienced.

mr. synellinden
10-06-2010, 01:26 PM
I'll make a bold prediction - the Phillies lose to the Reds.

The Reds are one of those classic - We Have Nothing to Lose teams going against a team with a lot of pressure (expectations, fan base) that looks like an overwhelming favorite. The Phillies are favored because of their starting pitching. But the Reds have three pretty good starters of their own and a great bullpen. Plus, they have the NL MVP.

A week from now, we'll be hearing stories like, why didn't we see the Reds coming? And they'll be on the cover of SI with a headline: The New Red Machine.

Duvall
10-06-2010, 01:40 PM
I'll make a bold prediction - the Phillies lose to the Reds.

The Reds are one of those classic - We Have Nothing to Lose teams going against a team with a lot of pressure (expectations, fan base) that looks like an overwhelming favorite. The Phillies are favored because of their starting pitching. But the Reds have three pretty good starters of their own and a great bullpen. Plus, they have the NL MVP.

Pretty good ain't great. The Phillies' rotation is great.

Also, the Reds don't have a great bullpen.

A week from now, we'll be hearing stories like, why didn't we see the Reds coming? And they'll be on the cover of SI with a headline: The New Red Machine.

Unlikely. The Phillies have been playing .700 ball since the beginning of August; I would be shocked if the Reds even slowed them down.

ivduke
10-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Not so fast Jason. Remember the Central has an extra team: the hapless Pirates, and if you take them away, the 5 NL Central teams have a winning record against the 5 NL East. Additionally, the Phillies, for whatever reason, got to play 3 extra home games this year, which inflates their record. Phils and the Reds have similar away records (43 v 42 wins). The Phillies win differential of 32 comes almost entirely from the NL West (+12 games) and in their division.

Don't get me wrong, the Phillies will win the series. But Cinci actually had a more potent offense this year, the question is the pitching, which is talented but inexperienced.

The Phillies series versus Toronto was scheduled for Toronto but moved to Philadelphia because of the security concerns surrounding the G-20 summit which was being held in toronto at the time.

mr. synellinden
10-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Pretty good ain't great. The Phillies' rotation is great.

Also, the Reds don't have a great bullpen.

Unlikely. The Phillies have been playing .700 ball since the beginning of August; I would be shocked if the Reds even slowed them down.

And that's why they play the games.

You're probably right about the Reds bullpen though - great is an overstatement.

Duvall
10-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Three, four, four.

DukeUsul
10-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Halladay throws the second ever postseason no-hitter. Wow. Great start for the Phils.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=301006122

dukebluelemur
10-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Halladay throws the second ever postseason no-hitter. Wow. Great start for the Phils.

Such a tragedy that Doc has been this long getting to the playoffs. Imagine the legend he could be if he hadn't been stuck in that frozen canadian wasteland (*wink*) pitching against the Rays/Sox/Yanks all those years.

That pitching staff is amazing....

JasonEvans
10-06-2010, 10:58 PM
http://beta.images.theglobeandmail.com/archive/00927/Halladay07_927184cl-8.jpg
http://beta.images.theglobeandmail.com/archive/00927/Halladay2_927185cl-8.jpg
http://assets.espn.go.com/sportscenter/images/pitch.jpg
http://assets.espn.go.com/sportscenter/images/getty1.jpg

--Jason "the Reds hit only 4 balls out of the infield all game-- that's sick!" Evans

Olympic Fan
10-07-2010, 02:01 AM
Obviously, great start by Halladay and the Phillies ... but keep in mind that the goal of every road team in a 2-2-1 series is to split the first two games on the road. That's not going to be easy with Oswalt going in Game 2, but if the Reds do get the split in Philly, they'll return to Cincinnati feeling like they have a great chance.

I heard an interesting analysis by one of the MLB guys who suggested that if your goal is to win the NL pennant and play in the series, you are better off playing the Phillies in the NLDS than in the NLCS.

His point was that the Phillies are clearly the best team in the NL, but the way baseball is, even the best teams lose once and awhile. He argued that an inferior team actually has a better chance in a best-of-5 series than in a best-of-7 series -- the more matchups, the more chance the best team has of winning. Conversely, the less games, the more chances for a fluke upset (as we see every year in the one-and-done NCAA Tournament).

I still favor the Phillies big (even bigger after tonight), but I don't discout the Reds yet. I think they still have a better chance against the Phillies than either the Giants or the Braves will have in the NLCS.

roywhite
10-07-2010, 08:05 AM

Is there such a thing as an easy no-hitter? Wow indeed...true excellence on display.

He faced 28 batters and threw first pitch strikes to 25. And drove in a run!

theAlaskanBear
10-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Hats off to Halladay. As much as I hate the Phillies, I cannot root against the man.

4decadedukie
10-07-2010, 12:22 PM
In 64 years, I have watched a lot of baseball; obviously, post-season tends (not universally, but generally) simply to be at a different intensity level. Doc's no hitter last night was superb . . . something to remember with happiness for many years (regardless of any individual's feelings about the Reds or the Phillies).

DUKIECB
10-07-2010, 02:36 PM
I read somewhere the other day that in the last 24 five game series in MLB, the team that won game 1 is 21-3! That's crazy!

We'll see if that trend continues this year I guess. Here's hoping the Bravos win tonight and the trend does continue!

Also, I agree with those that think that the Phillies will breeze to the title. They are superior in almost every way to every other team in the playoffs.

Duvall
10-07-2010, 11:36 PM
Sure would be nice to have Yunel Escobar right about now.

JasonEvans
10-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Lincecum has been awesome. Grrrrrr. 12 ks in 8 innings and only 2 hits. Not quits Doc's performance, but not far from it.

Gonna have to get it done in the 9th. Will they leave The Freak in or will they go to the best closer in the NL? Freak has 105 pitches thrown so far.

-Jason " I would leave him in" Evans

Duvall
10-07-2010, 11:49 PM
Lincecum has been awesome. Grrrrrr. 12 ks in 8 innings and only 2 hits. Not quits Doc's performance, but not far from it.

Gonna have to get it done in the 9th. Will they leave The Freak in or will they go to the best closer in the NL? Freak has 105 pitches thrown so far.

-Jason " I would leave him in" Evans

To be fair, he's only had to face half a lineup tonight. Bit of an advantage.

Duvall
10-08-2010, 12:06 AM
PROTIP: Most team find it easier to win in postseason play when they bring an actual major league lineup with them.

Olympic Fan
10-08-2010, 01:46 AM
Lincecom was great ... props to him.

Sometimes you get beat by great pitching. No complaints there. My only problem was the way he consistently got the swinging third strike on pitches out of the strike zone. At least four times on 3-2 pitches Braves hitters whiffed on balls in the dirt.

Oh well, at least the Braves are in better shape than the Rays or the Twins. Win Friday and we'll be in great shape ... as I said earlier, the road team's goal has to be to steal one in the first two games away and get home 1-1.

It would be a nice change if the Braves could actually score a couple of runs for Mr. Hansen.

PS I will I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. about one thing. There was a disputed pitch to Lance Berkman in the Yanks-Twins game that got massive coverage on all the networks. It would have been the third strike to Berkman ... instead it was called ball two and he followed with a double to drive in the tying run and key the Yankees two-run inning.

The pitch track showed that the ball was right on the corner -- it was close, but it should have been a strike.

Okay, I'm watching Derrick Lee in the ninth for the Braves. The count is 2-1 and Lincecom throws a pitch that's at least four inches off the plate inside and it's called strike two. The next pitch is wa-a-ay high and should have been ball four. Instead its ball three and on the next pitch Lee strikes out ...

My point is that pitch track showed that strike two was not close to the strike zone -- it was a much more egregious mistake than the Berkman pitch. But no comment fron the announcers and I didn't see any of the networks suggest that it was a blown or controversial call.

Maybe Bobby should have got himself thrown out arguing it.

Duvall
10-08-2010, 02:05 AM
Umptober!

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/teamphotos/mlb/20101007/NLDS_Braves_Giants_Baseball.sff_198178_game.jpg

dukebluelemur
10-08-2010, 05:17 AM

Sometimes you get beat by great pitching. No complaints there. My only problem was the way he consistently got the swinging third strike on pitches out of the strike zone. At least four times on 3-2 pitches Braves hitters whiffed on balls in the dirt.

Oh well, at least the Braves are in better shape than the Rays or the Twins. Win Friday and we'll be in great shape ... as I said earlier, the road team's goal has to be to steal one in the first two games away and get home 1-1.

It would be a nice change if the Braves could actually score a couple of runs for Mr. Hansen.

PS I will I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. about one thing. There was a disputed pitch to Lance Berkman in the Yanks-Twins game that got massive coverage on all the networks. It would have been the third strike to Berkman ... instead it was called ball two and he followed with a double to drive in the tying run and key the Yankees two-run inning.

The pitch track showed that the ball was right on the corner -- it was close, but it should have been a strike.

Okay, I'm watching Derrick Lee in the ninth for the Braves. The count is 2-1 and Lincecom throws a pitch that's at least four inches off the plate inside and it's called strike two. The next pitch is wa-a-ay high and should have been ball four. Instead its ball three and on the next pitch Lee strikes out ...

My point is that pitch track showed that strike two was not close to the strike zone -- it was a much more egregious mistake than the Berkman pitch. But no comment fron the announcers and I didn't see any of the networks suggest that it was a blown or controversial call.

Maybe Bobby should have got himself thrown out arguing it.

Berkman had an important hit later in the at bat... that's the difference. If he hadn't done that nobody would care.

(Though I agree the *****ing is silly. Earlier in the at bat a clear ball got called a strike, so the errors evened out. Not that anyone is mentioning that... )

northernduke
10-08-2010, 07:59 AM

Same thing with Heyward in the ningth, 2-1 count goes to 2-2 on a ball outside. My only complaint was the Braves hitter's were sitting dead red with two strikes. Didn't matter the count, but they were not going to put away looking. Need to relax the muscles and react to the pitch, not be committed before it leaves the pitchers hand.

So much easier to hit a 90+ mph fastball with movement from your living room couch.....

Overall was not dejected by our performance. They were in the game and can certainly win this next one!

Channing
10-08-2010, 10:29 AM
I got so frustrated watching last nights game. Lincecum was on, but the Braves helped him out. At this point, I wish Bobby would at least give Diory Hernandez a shot. Its not like Conrad is hitting and he has been AWFUL in the field Hernandez CAN'T be any worse.

With the umpire broohaha in the Twins and Rays games, the biggest and clearest blown call directly led to the Giants winning last night - Posey's steal of second.

Its unfortunate, but the Braves do not have 8 major league quality hitters. Ankiel and Lee have been striking out Adam Dunn like rates, Conrad is a career minor league utility player being forced into the starting lineup, and Gonzalez looks like he forgot how to swing properly.

Olympic Fan
10-08-2010, 03:21 PM
Its unfortunate, but the Braves do not have 8 major league quality hitters. Ankiel and Lee have been striking out Adam Dunn like rates, Conrad is a career minor league utility player being forced into the starting lineup, and Gonzalez looks like he forgot how to swing properly.

An interesting concept ... do the Braves have eight major league quality hitters? Let's think about the lineup Bobby put out there last night (and what options he has on the bench):

Infante -- a career untility man, but a solid hitter for most of his career. He's having a career year (third in the NL in batting). A liability at second or third base on defense, but I think he qualifies as a major league quality hitter (MLQH for short).

Heyward -- very good and will be (I think) great if he stays healthy. But even this year, he qualifies as MLGH.

Lee -- I know he's been erratic, but he was the star of the last regular season game. He's a career .865 OPS and he's only off that a little bit this year (.849). A MLQH.

McCann -- one of the best hitting catchers in baseball. Easily MLQH.

Gonzales -- he's actually been a decent hitting shortstop for most of his career and he's having a career year this season -- overall, he's probably been the best offensive shortstop in baseball for the season (although a lot of that at Toronto). Considering his position, he's a MLQH shortstop.

But Gonzales represents the first problem in the lineup -- he should not be the No. 5 hitter. With a better hitting team he ought to be 7th or 8th in the batting order.

Conrad -- I love what he's given us this season, but he's a career minor leaguer. Weak in the field and NOT a MLQH.

Diaz -- A quality platoon hitter -- he's a career .907 OPS vs. lefthanders. That is definitely a MLQH. Unfortunately, he's much less effective against righthanders (as he was last night). There should have been a left option to platoon -- McLouth? Carbrera? But their OPS vs. rightiesw is worse than Diaz.

Ankiel -- Arrgh ... he had a brief window in 2007-08 when he was a decent (mid .800s OPS) hitter, but he's been going steadily downhill ever since. He's under .700 since 2009. Decent defensive CFer, but NOT a MLQH.

So there are three real holes in the lineup -- Conrad, Ankiel and (against a righthanded pitcher) Diaz. But I don't know what to do. Glaus has been awful for three months (and where would he play?). McLouth and Cabrera aren't upgrades at the plate (and Cabrera is the worst defender available). Maybe Hinskie, who is a lefthanded platoon hitter, could have played left in place of Diaz, but that hurts defensively.

We can blame the injuries to Chipper and Prado, which really did hurt, but the team's real failure was the inability to acquire a quality OF bat. I guess if Chipper and Prado stay healthy, they can play third and second, which would free up Infante to play OF ... although that still leaves the team short an outfielder.

Oh well, I guess you do the best with what you have ... besides, I think lincecom was more to blame for the Braves offensive woes last night than the lack of MLQH in their lineup. He would have made the Yankees look silly.

Duvall
10-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Gonzales -- he's actually been a decent hitting shortstop for most of his career and he's having a career year this season -- overall, he's probably been the best offensive shortstop in baseball for the season (although a lot of that at Toronto).

He's not even the best offensive shortstop in the NL East (Ramirez), or even the second-best (Reyes).

Olympic Fan
10-08-2010, 04:17 PM
He's not even the best offensive shortstop in the NL East (Ramirez), or even the second-best (Reyes).

Mea culpa on Ramirez ... he did slip my mind. I also blanked on Troy Tulakowski, who was also a better hitting SS this season -- by far.

Not so sure about Reyes (.282/11/54) had a better offensive year than Gonzales (.250/23/88). Reyes' OPS of .749 was slightly better than Gonzales .741, but he also played just 133 games to Gonzales 157 games.

Even with my lapses and the quibble about Reyes, the point stands -- Gonzales was AMONG the top hitters at SS in baseball this season. With the sharp declines of Jeter and Bartlett, nobody in the AL matched his OPS ... and only two or three (if you count Reyes) had better offensive years in the NL.

Let me be clear -- I'm not trying to argue that Gonzales is one of the top offensive SSs in the game, only that he had one of the top years. The only complaint that Braves fans should have about him as a batter is where he has to fit in the lineup.

Channing
10-08-2010, 11:38 PM
Ankiel -- Arrgh ... he had a brief window in 2007-08 when he was a decent (mid .800s OPS) hitter, but he's been going steadily downhill ever since. He's under .700 since 2009. Decent defensive CFer, but NOT a MLQH.

As bad as the Braves offense is, Ankiel is by far the worst. Its a major victory if he makes contact and fouls the ball off.

JasonEvans
10-09-2010, 01:11 AM
Braves just turned a clutch double play to get out of a bases loaded jam in the 10th. We go to the 11th. Billy Wagner hurt himself so Kyle Farnsworthless came in and got into a huge jam but then got out of it thanks to Troy Glaus making a nice play at 3B.

I swear, I don't even begin to recognize the team on the field for the Braves right now.

The Braves must score soon and end the game because they are all but out of pitchers. I think they have only one more available arm in the bullpen right now. Farnsworthless is going to have to be Farnsworthalotofinnings if this goes much longer.

-Jason "please score soon" Evans

dukebluelemur
10-09-2010, 01:11 AM
As bad as the Braves offense is, Ankiel is by far the worst. Its a major victory if he makes contact and fouls the ball off.

I think he heard you....

JasonEvans
10-09-2010, 01:12 AM

Holy @^@!%^Y@!!!!

Rick Ankiel just hit a homer in the 11th!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--Jason "steven52682 with one of the great reverse woofs of all time!!!" Evans

JasonEvans
10-09-2010, 01:25 AM
Whole new series now, baby!!!

I want to kiss Ankiel and Farnsworthy!

-Jason "Hudson going in game three suddenly looks genius!" Evans

northernduke
10-09-2010, 01:28 AM
Farnsworthless is going to have to be Farnsworthalotofinnings if this goes much longer.

Heck of a comeback - this was a gutsy performance and hats off to Farnsworth. He's not who I want on the mound, but he got the key double play after loading the bases and closed out the 11th. This was a HUGE win for us.

WHEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. Heading back to Atlanta with Huddy on the mound on Sunday. Great double play, timely hitting by Ankiel (who absolutely crushed that fastball) and clutch performance by Kyle. We're in this boys!!!!!!!!!

devildeac
10-09-2010, 01:39 AM

This is great stuff. Homer in the 11th by Ankiel (mlb/espn says it was the 10th inning) and Fartsworth holds on for the W. BWAHAHAHAHA!

gotoguy
10-09-2010, 01:47 AM
Go Braves! Nice July 31 trade by Frank Wren. See y'all at the game tomorrow.

JohnGalt
10-09-2010, 06:00 AM
Umptober!

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/teamphotos/mlb/20101007/NLDS_Braves_Giants_Baseball.sff_198178_game.jpg

http://topics.pe.com/photo/09ReeREeU61oE

Is it just me....or is this getting out of hand?
Just cave, Bud. It's for the better.

theAlaskanBear
10-09-2010, 08:26 AM
Holy @^@!%^Y@!!!!

Rick Ankiel just hit a homer in the 11th!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--Jason "steven52682 with one of the great reverse woofs of all time!!!" Evans

The curious legend of Rick Ankiel:

Rick's 2000 debut season in the majors with the Cardinals, which I remember vividly, was so promising. He had a golden arm and a tough attitude to go with it. He was second in K/9 to Randy at 9.98 and second to Park in H/9 at 7. Then the meltdown in the postseason pitching against the Braves the Braves. 4 walks, 5 wild pitches in one inning. The Cardinals won anyway, and then advanced to play the Mets...the struggles continued.

Ankiel was sent to minors, became even worse, struggled with control, and then began suffering with injuries. Had Tommy John. Eventually, in 2005, the Cardinals and Ankiel, ever-conscious of Ankiels elephant-sized talent decided to convert him to an outfielder.
He suffered a season-ending knee injury in 2006 but had put up decent numbers since as a hitter. I actually saw him play in Johnson City when he was trying to piece his pitching together....he pitched and hit a home run.

Anyway, in his new debut as a hitter for the Cardinals in the majors he hits a three run homer. He ends up having a couple of great years (for a pitcher converted to an outfielder)...then he and the Cardinals parted ways.

You have to remember that Ankiel has been a professional MLB hitter only since 2005...but as wildly self-destructive as he was as a pitcher, he is CLUTCH as a hitter. He had some really big hits in his second stint with the Cardinals. His average will never be good, he will always strike out a ton. But the boy can still deliver.

camion
10-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Wow!! I just read about it and it sounds like an amazing game. The story below is a lot more believable than the one where Farnsworth and Ankiel save the Braves bacon.

a link (http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2010/10/09/bedtime-baseball-braves-giants-game-two/)

Olympic Fan
10-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Amazing night ... first, both winning teams in the NL playoff came back from 0-4 deficits ... that almost never happens, yet the Phillies and Braves both pulled it off.

Second, Ankiel and Farnsworthless end up playing key roles in the win ... wow, I never would have guessed that. In thanks, that will be the last time I use that derogartory name for Farnsworth. Even if he never does another positive thing (and he probably won't), he justified his presence last night.

1-1 series and we're going back to Atlanta with a well-rested Hudson ready to go.

We're in the ballgame ...

Channing
10-09-2010, 10:52 AM

Crow has never tasted so sweet.

northernduke
10-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Crow has never tasted so sweet.

I second that. Farnsworth made me eat my words last night, as I'm sure he did most Braves fans. Let's hope the ATL crowd can match the electricity in the bay!

Duvall
10-09-2010, 11:16 AM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/09ReeREeU61oE/350x.jpg

Is it just me....or is this getting out of hand?
Just cave, Bud. It's for the better.

That's certainly one of the two or three worst calls made in favor of Chase Utley on that trip around the bases. Odious.

devildeac
10-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Saw where Bobby gotted tossed from the game last PM. Anyone have any details? I haven't seen/read any highlights (Or should that be lowlights?).

Olympic Fan
10-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Saw where Bobby gotted tossed from the game last PM. Anyone have any details? I haven't seen/read any highlights (Or should that be lowlights?).

I've seen the replay dozens of times and while I THINK Bobby was right and the first baseman was off the bag, I'm not sure the replay is conclusive. It's close. I doubt that instant replay would reverse it (on the other hand, if the ump had called him safe and they'd have reviewed it, I don't think they'd have reversed it either ... it was simply too close to call).

I will say that I'm becoming increasingly frustrated by the strike zone judgment at home plate. I know a big to-do was made about the apparent strike that was missed in the key Berkman at bat, but I pointed to an even worse call Thursday night against Derrick Lee (a clear ball that was called a strike). Poor Jason Heyward was the victim of two awful strike calls last night -- one well outside the zone and the other -- a called strike three -- that was clearly low.

Channing
10-10-2010, 08:22 PM
What was Brooks Conrad still doing in the game? Diory Hernandez can't be any worse of a hitter (does Conrad even have a hit this post season?). Does Conrad now have 8 errors in his last 7 games? 3 errors, 2 strike outs, and a blown sacrifice attempt - EPIC FAIL.

gotoguy
10-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Just returned from Turner Field. I liken the high and low to the last few seconds of the Duke UK regional final in 1992... if you cheered for Kentucky. Not quite that bad mind you but close enough.

JasonEvans
10-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Brooks Conrad is dead to me. He has got to be having the worst defensive post-season in history. Heck, he has been wretchedly bad no matter where he has played for the past 2 weeks. He is not even playing low minor league level defense right now. The dude can't hit worth a lick either. Bobby should have put Eric Hinske at 3B and left Infante at 2B. Sigh.

I was not a fan of lifting Kimbrell. He's been fabulous. The fact that he gave up one hit should not have ended his chance to close it out. He's the future closer of the team, everyone seems to think that. Let him win or lose it.

Now the Giants can safely keep The Freak on the sidelines for a potential game 5 in San Fran when he will be fully rested. Sigh.

This one was hard to take. I hope the team can bounce back.

--Jason "I feel sorry for Conrad, he has earned a place in baseball history that will be hard to live down" Evans

roywhite
10-10-2010, 11:58 PM
Great performance by Cole Hamels, as he throws a 5-hit shutout with 9 K's and 0 walks to close out the Reds. The H2O starting rotation of Halladay, Oswalt, and Hamels is in good form and the Phils' defense was solid in the final game. NLCS doesn't start till Saturday so rust could be an issue.

SoCalDukeFan
10-11-2010, 12:54 AM
Great performance by Cole Hamels, as he throws a 5-hit shutout with 9 K's and 0 walks to close out the Reds. The H2O starting rotation of Halladay, Oswalt, and Hamels is in good form and the Phils' defense was solid in the final game. NLCS doesn't start till Saturday so rust could be an issue.

Roy Halladay was not rusty last Wed. when he pitched on 9 days rest. On Saturday he will pitch with 10 days rest.

Hopefully the Phillies hitters will use the days off to get their hitting form back.

SoCal

northernduke
10-11-2010, 08:33 AM
What was Brooks Conrad still doing in the game? Diory Hernandez can't be any worse of a hitter (does Conrad even have a hit this post season?).

Do you start Diory in game 4 or continue to go with Conrad. Or do you put Hinske or Glaus at 3rd and Infante at 2nd. My fear is we've just wasted Hinske's post season magic...

Olympic Fan
10-11-2010, 11:56 AM
As upset as I am at Conrad, I can't forget all the times he's won games with his bat.

Thinking about last night, I thought about Bill Buckner and the ball that went through his leg in the 1986 world series ....

What struck me is that neither Buckner nor Conrad should have been out there to make his crucial error. Both should have been pulled in the ninth for a defensive replacement. Both were proven defensive liabilities. With a lead in the ninth, it makes sense to pull them for a better defender.

Now, I can understand the thinking about starting Conrad over Hernandez -- he's a MUCH better bat (and the Braves obviously need all the offense they can get). But with a 2-1 lead and three outs to get, Hernandez -- an awful bat, but a decent infield glove -- should have been out there.

Terrible, terrible loss ... but much of the blame has to fall on Bobby Cox.

JasonEvans
10-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Terrible, terrible loss ... but much of the blame has to fall on Bobby Cox.

What did you think of the use of relievers in the 9th? I really did not like taking out Kimbrell, who had not been hit hard at all.

-Jason

mr. synellinden
10-11-2010, 01:06 PM
What did you think of the use of relievers in the 9th? I really did not like taking out Kimbrell, who had not been hit hard at all.

-Jason

You didn't ask me, but I thought Cox way overmanaged the 9th inning last night. I thought Kimbrell was pitching fine and would have left him in. And then when I heard the announcers say that Huff has a better average against lefties, I was certain he was making a mistake taking him out.

Duvall
10-11-2010, 01:58 PM
What was Brooks Conrad still doing in the game? Diory Hernandez can't be any worse of a hitter (does Conrad even have a hit this post season?).

Hernandez has a .424 career OPS.

JasonEvans
10-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Hernandez has a .424 career OPS.

Yeah, but we did not need him to hit. Bottom of the 9th we only need him to field 2nd base.

-Jason

Duvall
10-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Glaus is starting tonight at 3B, batting 7th.

Channing
10-11-2010, 03:55 PM
well, despite their patchwork lineup, the braves have lost their two games by a combined ... 2 runs. With Lowe going tonight, the Braves need to claw and fight for a W. Going back to San Fran for a decisive game 5 means anything can happen.

Lets put last night's debacle behind us and press forward!

ps - this series has been an all timer so far in terms of drama and "edge of your seat-ness"

JasonEvans
10-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Glaus is starting tonight at 3B, batting 7th.

And they have moved Heyward down in the lineup from 2nd to 6th. He has been ice cold in the playoffs so far.

--Jason "not many Braves bats have been anything but ice cold" Evans

JasonEvans
10-11-2010, 09:41 PM
It is easy to question Bobby's moves but I just wanted to go on the record right now saying--

1) I love that he left Lowe in after Lowe begged him to stay in. Even though Lowe gave up a walk, I admire Bobby for letting the veteran determine his own fate.

2) I like going to Moylan, a good ground-ball pitcher when we needed a double-play. Moylan did what he was supposed to do, giving up a grounder. It was not his fault that Gonzalez could not make the throw to 2nd.

3) The Braves now trail 3-2. 3 innings left to get a run or two or Bobby's career could be over. C'mon boys!!!

--Jason "Diaz to McCann just saved the season" Evans

juise
10-11-2010, 10:49 PM
I wonder if there's ever been another playoff series in which every game was decided by one run... or even a series in which the team that won the series won each game by one run.

hurleyfor3
10-11-2010, 11:41 PM
I wonder if there's ever been another playoff series in which every game was decided by one run... or even a series in which the team that won the series won each game by one run.

One recent series was close: the four games of the 2005 World Series were decided by a total of five runs.

Blue in the Face
10-11-2010, 11:47 PM
This was the first (according to espn.com) where every game was decided by 1. Not sure about your second question, but 2000 was close. The yanks won three games by 1 run and one by 2 (the lone mets win was by 2).

One recent series was close: the four games of the 2005 World Series were decided by a total of five runs.
Six runs - 2 two run games, 2 one run games.

hurleyfor3
10-11-2010, 11:51 PM
Six runs - 2 two run games, 2 one run games.

Crap, forgot there was a guy on base when Geoff Blum hit that home run. Still, one walkoff ninth-inning homer, one 14-inning game and a 1-0 clinching game in 2005.

A-Tex Devil
10-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Crap, forgot there was a guy on base when Geoff Blum hit that home run. Still, one walkoff ninth-inning homer, one 14-inning game and a 1-0 clinching game in 2005.

Ugh. Don't remind me. I was at that 14 inning game. Roy Oswalt was killing it, then just blew up in the 7th, and as the Astros have always been prone to do, they went into a team wide slump. They were as good as the White Sox, but just couldn't get clutch hits.

Blue in the Face
10-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Billy Wagner has announced his retirement. Obviously disappointing that he wasn't available to help the Braves in this series, but it's nice to see a great player go out when he's still performing at an incredibly high level.

cato
10-12-2010, 12:43 PM

It is a very fitting way to decide the ultimate winner of the Giants, Braves, Padres race -- three teams that got to where they were (or, in the case of the Padres, weren't) by eking out wins in low scoring games.

roywhite
10-13-2010, 10:35 AM
50 years ago today:

9th ininning of a tied World Series game 7...

Ralph Terry on the mound for the Yankees; Bill Mazeroski up for the Pirates...

Still one of the greatest moments in sports IMO. "Beat 'em Bucs" team won it all in dramatic fashion.

pfrduke
10-19-2010, 08:20 PM
So far, at least, the Giants and Rangers appear not to have received the memo that the World Series is supposed to be a Phillies-Yankees rematch.

On that note, though, how much less watched do you think a Giants-Rangers WS will be than a Phillies-Yankees WS? Lowest ratings since 2002??

Duvall
10-19-2010, 08:23 PM
So far, at least, the Giants and Rangers appear not to have received the memo that the World Series is supposed to be a Phillies-Yankees rematch.

Once again Bud Selig proves that he is no David Stern.

Duvall
10-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Welp, that should just about do it. Looks like another pennant for the Phillies.