PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Question

OZZIE4DUKE
06-05-2007, 06:57 PM
I would like to copy my Firefox bookmarks and move them to another computer. Is there any way to do this? I am using Windows XP and have upgraded to the new 2.0.0.4 version.

Thanks.

DevilAlumna
06-05-2007, 07:04 PM
You could try XP's built-in "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard."

From the XP help system:

Using the Files and Settings Transfer WizardThe Files and Settings Transfer Wizard helps you move your data files and personal settings from your old computer to your new one, without having to go through much of the same configuration you did with your old computer. For example, you can take your personal display properties, folder and taskbar options, and Internet browser and e-mail settings from your old computer and place them on the new one. The wizard will also move specific files or entire folders, such as My Documents, My Pictures, and Favorites. Passwords are not moved with program settings when you use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. This is a feature of the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard that helps to keep your passwords confidential.

To access it:

Open the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-05-2007, 07:48 PM
You could try XP's built-in "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard."

Thanks DA. If all else fails I'll try that (it says it can do IE, but nothing about Firefox), but I'm hoping there is a way to do it more directly through some hidden command in Firefox. Anybody?

Exiled_Devil
06-05-2007, 08:10 PM
I would like to copy my Firefox bookmarks and move them to another computer. Is there any way to do this? I am using Windows XP and have upgraded to the new 2.0.0.4 version.

Thanks.

GO to Bookmarks on the menu

go to organize bookmarks

When the new window opens up, go to File

Go down to Export

THe rest should be self explanatory.

I think there is away to transport your passswords and cookies too - I'll look around for that.

edit: here (http://firefox.fligtar.com/passwordexporter/) is the link to a password exporting add on

Exiled

Jarhead
06-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Exiled_Devil has your solution for you, and Firefox makes it a lot easier than other browsing software. I recently bought a new computer, and my wife wanted my old one, so I complied. I cleaned it up as good as I could, and added Firefox to it, since the Netscape version (8) I had on it was a piece of junk. When I got my new one set up I added a wireless network. Firefox on my new one was able to find everything I needed right from the old computer, just exactly the way Exiled_Devil described. I also use Thunderbird, and it worked the same way for getting my address book, and it gave me the option of porting over some mail folders. I was going to do that, but when I took a look at the old mail on the old computer, I deleted most of it, and decided that I would leave the rest on my wife's computer until I need it. I'll delete it soon, I guess.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-05-2007, 10:33 PM
GO to Bookmarks on the menu

go to organize bookmarks

When the new window opens up, go to File

Go down to Export

THe rest should be self explanatory.

I think there is away to transport your passswords and cookies too - I'll look around for that.

edit: here (http://firefox.fligtar.com/passwordexporter/) is the link to a password exporting add on

Exiled

That worked nicely. Thanks. The password thing copied from my old computer fine, but the new one didn't have the import/export button as described, so that is still a work in progress.

Also, the new Firefox toolbar offered this add-on solution, which I wish I had seen first...
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2410

OZZIE4DUKE
06-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Also, the new Firefox toolbar offered this add-on solution, which I wish I had seen first...
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2410

Wow! Did that ever work well! It was easy to install on both computers and eliminated the garbage that was already on the new one. Now, they both look the same!

alteran
06-06-2007, 03:15 PM
Wow! Did that ever work well! It was easy to install on both computers and eliminated the garbage that was already on the new one. Now, they both look the same!

If you like having the same bookmarks on each computer you use Firefox on, you should consider using the FoxMarks (http://www.foxmarks.com/) extension. Every time you close Firefox, it syncs your bookmarks with a central database, and every time you open Firefox, it syncs your bookmarks. Book mark in one place, it's available in the others.

You also can log into the Foxmarks website and view all your links without adding the extension.

Pretty cool.

TillyGalore
06-09-2007, 02:30 PM
How can I import bookmarks from Netscapte to Firefox?

devil84
06-09-2007, 03:16 PM
How can I import bookmarks from Netscapte to Firefox?

To import everything, go to File | Import... and choose Netscape 6 /7, and follow the prompts.

To do just bookmarks, go to Bookmarks | Organize Bookmarks... to open the Bookmarks Manager window. From there, select File | Import... and choose Netscape 6 /7, and follow the prompts.

- della

TillyGalore
06-10-2007, 07:05 PM
To import everything, go to File | Import... and choose Netscape 6 /7, and follow the prompts.

To do just bookmarks, go to Bookmarks | Organize Bookmarks... to open the Bookmarks Manager window. From there, select File | Import... and choose Netscape 6 /7, and follow the prompts.

- della

Thanks for the help Della. I got all my bookmarks moved over. :)