PDA

View Full Version : #1 recruit Austin Rivers commits to Duke!!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

JasonEvans
09-30-2010, 11:27 AM
Time for a new thread!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5632647

--Jason "sweet!!" Evans

NSDukeFan
09-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Time for a new thread!!!

--Jason "sweet!!" Evans

Wooohoooo!

6th Man
09-30-2010, 11:34 AM
OH YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! Thank you Austin Rivers!!! This means a lot for a lot of reasons. GREAT NEWS!!!

patentgeek
If this report is accurate, that's great news.

Bob Green
This is fantastic news! I wonder where all the haters are now? You know, those big mouths who stated Coach Krzyzewski's involvement with USA Basketball was bad for Duke. Looks to me like Duke recruiting is doing okay.

:) :) :)

mph
09-30-2010, 11:35 AM
If you'll pardon the schadenfreude so early in the thread, this is looking like a rough day to be a heel.

Welcome to Duke Austin!

rotogod00
09-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Incredible news! Welcome Austin!

dchen09
09-30-2010, 11:36 AM
I can't believe it... no way...

soccerstud2210
09-30-2010, 11:37 AM
wow....

WOOOOOOOOW

sivartrenrag
This is beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfEGZ9RNTj0

Biscuit King
Please God, let someone find a quote where he mentions the football scandal as a factor in his decision. That would be the cherry on top.

Bluedog
09-30-2010, 11:38 AM
YES!!! I wish somebody other than Austin's high school coach broke the news. Like Austin himself. He has earned that right if he wants it. (And hopefully he himself will validate the report shortly.) But in any event, woo hoo! Welcome to Duke Austin!

Lord Ash
09-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Oh man, that makes my day!

Giant front page story of ESPN College basketball page:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/

1 24 90
09-30-2010, 11:43 AM
And yet more proof that Order Has Been Restored!

CharlestonDevil
09-30-2010, 11:43 AM
time for a new thread!!!

--jason "sweet!!" evans

well dagum! Take that roy!

D.C. Devil
09-30-2010, 11:45 AM
Tremendous news! Thanks AR - way to bring some sunshine to a rainy day.

Also love that he called Ol' Roy and Self to give them the news personally.

mph
09-30-2010, 11:46 AM
As if it was even possible, the atmosphere for CTC just got even better. Now the crazies will get a chance to welcome the newest member of the Duke family.

blazindw
09-30-2010, 11:47 AM
BOOOOOM! I love it. Welcome to Duke, Austin Rivers!!

JasonEvans
09-30-2010, 11:48 AM
Not that there is much question about it, but the Orlando Sentinel (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/highschool/basketball/os-hs-austin-rivers-commits-to-duke-20100930,0,5276913.story) now also has the story.

I think, rather than the football scandal, the thing that decided this was that Austin was about to make his trip to Carolina. I suspect that as he was getting ready to pack he thought, "why am I wasting their time and my time? I know where I want to go and nothing I see this weekend is going to change my mind."

--Jason "any old timers remember GGLC from the old board? I am feeling quite GGLC right now!" Evans

sdotbarbee
09-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Wow what a great day. Welcome AR!:D

MChambers
09-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Not that there is much question about it, but the Orlando Sentinel (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/highschool/basketball/os-hs-austin-rivers-commits-to-duke-20100930,0,5276913.story) now also has the story.

I think, rather than the football scandal, the thing that decided this was that Austin was about to make his trip to Carolina. I suspect that as he was getting ready to pack he thought, "why am I wasting their time and my time? I know where I want to go and nothing I see this weekend is going to change my mind."

--Jason "any old timers remember GGLC from the old board? I am feeling quite GGLC right now!" Evans

Shouldn't this be titled "Welcome to Duke Austin Rivers"? Or do we need official word for that?

rotogod00
09-30-2010, 11:51 AM

And that's what makes him different than most top recruits in his situation who would take advantage of the recruiting process and let himself be wined and dined. he knew where he wanted to go and respectfully called the other coaches to let them know of his decision. very impressed with his maturity.

BD80
09-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Austin couldn't bear to visit chapel hell and listen to ol' roy's spiel again, dadgummit. He had to announce this week!

But what a prima donna! No Skype, no Twitter countdown, no fanfare. What kind of kid is this?

Kedsy

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Lord Ash
I am grinning from ear to ear:)

bluedevil2012
09-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Welcome to Duke!!! Let the reign begin! :D

Bluedog
09-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Shooting guards in 2011:

Austin Rivers
Michael Gbinije (although could be considered SF)
Andre Dawkins
Seth Curry

Wow! That is some serious talent at one position. Obviously, Coach K just plays his best players though. ;)

mattman91
09-30-2010, 11:57 AM
What an awesome birthday present!!!!!!! Happy birthday to me!!!!!!

Huh?
09-30-2010, 11:57 AM
And that's what makes him different than most top recruits in his situation who would take advantage of the recruiting process and let himself be wined and dined. he knew where he wanted to go and respectfully called the other coaches to let them know of his decision. very impressed with his maturity.

Thank you for coming to Duke and thank you for not being a Diva.

Lord Ash
09-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Yeah, and let Austin play a bit of PG along with Tyler "The Winner" Thornton and maybe Quinn Cook, and let Gbinjie slide to SF, and that is a TON of talent.

Man, this is so sweet. It really feels like SUCH a load off our shoulders, knowing that we are losing some very important people next year.

So. Does Kyrie stay a second year? Or is it too early to think about it?

;)

Huh?
09-30-2010, 11:59 AM
Shooting guards in 2011:

Austin Rivers
Michael Gbinije (although could be considered SF)
Andre Dawkins
Seth Curry

Wow! That is some serious talent at one position. Obviously, Coach K just plays his best players though. ;)

Austin will probably play a PG/SG position kind of like Nolan and Scheyer did, I know he has stated he wants to run the point in college.

rotogod00
09-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Yeah, and let Austin play a bit of PG along with Tyler "The Winner" Thornton and maybe Quinn Cook, and let Gbinjie slide to SF, and that is a TON of talent.

Man, this is so sweet. It really feels like SUCH a load off our shoulders, knowing that we are losing some very important people next year.

So. Does Kyrie stay a second year? Or is it too early to think about it?

;)

well, he has said himself he'd more strongly consider it rivers were his backcourt mate. and with the nba lockout looming, you never know.

DeBlueDevil
09-30-2010, 12:00 PM
What was the kid's name from last year?!?! Can't even remember Duke recruiting him! My my how things have changed!!! It is truly a good day to be a Duke fan. Congrats everyone!!! This is a great feeling....1st a NC and then this....and a great upcoming season on the horizon!!! Wow how can things get any better!!!!

flyingdutchdevil
09-30-2010, 12:01 PM
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Why aren't we continuing the mega thread? Where's Kong?

pacificrounder
09-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Awesome news this Thursday morning. Paging Vash, duketaylor, and airowe -- time to take credit from your unwavering knowledge of Rivers to Duke!

GTHC, GTH!

davekay1971
09-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Great news! Congrats to Austin and to Duke basketball!

And now the reaction from the IC board (always good for laughs, though may damage your brain):

Jigoistic (4463 posts): "kay finally one one against roy and he only needed a multi year head start a faux championship and david falk putting the clamps on doc rivers. that vamp is a recruiting genius."

TrustinRoy (28766 posts): "His dad did want him to take other visits since he had only visited Florida and I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. (the two schools he has committed to.) He scheduled official visits to UNC and Kansas. But Doc left for training camp a couple days ago. It sure looks like Coach K did an awesome job convincing Austin to ignore his father's advice sometime in the last couple of days."

UNCeenNothingYet (5385 posts): "bummer. particularly since he was supposed to visit Chapel Hill this weekend. k must have really put the squeeze on him to commit to [Duke spelled wrong] before this weekend wowed him."

Ah, that evil Coach K, twisting kids to ignore their parents' advice and give in to his Machiavellian schemes...

Jderf
09-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Shouldn't this be titled "Welcome to Duke Austin Rivers"? Or do we need official word for that?

I would give it the title, "Where there is fire, there is fire: Welcome to Duke Austin Rivers."

DukieBoy
09-30-2010, 12:10 PM
I just saw Tyler Thorton's facebook status

Austin Rivers to Duke...thats another one to the 2011 class!

...and my heart literally skipped a beat

This is amazing

Battierfan01
09-30-2010, 12:15 PM
WOW, I just about wet my pants when I read the title to this thread. I just can't stop smiling. :D

HOW SWEET IT IS!!

sdotbarbee
09-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Great news! Congrats to Austin and to Duke basketball!

And now the reaction from the IC board (always good for laughs, though may damage your brain):

Jigoistic (4463 posts): "kay finally one one against roy and he only needed a multi year head start a faux championship and david falk putting the clamps on doc rivers. that vamp is a recruiting genius."

TrustinRoy (28766 posts): "His dad did want him to take other visits since he had only visited Florida and I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. (the two schools he has committed to.) He scheduled official visits to UNC and Kansas. But Doc left for training camp a couple days ago. It sure looks like Coach K did an awesome job convincing Austin to ignore his father's advice sometime in the last couple of days."

UNCeenNothingYet (5385 posts): "bummer. particularly since he was supposed to visit Chapel Hill this weekend. k must have really put the squeeze on him to commit to [Duke spelled wrong] before this weekend wowed him."

Ah, that evil Coach K, twisting kids to ignore their parents' advice and give in to his Machiavellian schemes...

Here's another.

Jason113 All-American
2708 posts this site
Posted: Today 11:59 AM

RE: Rivers to duke

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This sounds odd. From all indications he liked UNC and Roy then all of the sudden, without announcing it publicly, he commits to duke. Maybe K threatened to give his scholarship away to someone else if he didn't sign on the dotted line.
Reply | Quote

These people are out of their minds, someone must have feed them some real BS about AR and roy's visit.

HaHa.

sdotbarbee
09-30-2010, 12:19 PM
NdotSmitty Welcome to the family @AustinRivers25!!!
7 minutes ago via Echofon
Reply Retweet

SmartDevil
09-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Great news indeed! He's going to fit in well in all respects, and he and Duke are going to benefit mutually in numerous ways.....including perhaps going deep, deep, deep (perhaps as deep as you can go!) in the NCAA tourney.

Bluedevil114
09-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Now what do I do for the next two weeks until CTC? Every ten minutes I was checking the Austin Rivers thread to see if there was any news?

This is a great day for Duke Basketball and our future!!

sdotbarbee
09-30-2010, 12:21 PM
qmillertime S/O to my bro @AustinRivers25 for committing to Duke. Y'all never know who's next ;)
3 minutes ago via Echofon
Reply Retweet

davekay1971
09-30-2010, 12:22 PM
qmillertime S/O to my bro @AustinRivers25 for committing to Duke. Y'all never know who's next ;)
Reply Retweet

I like the sound of that!!

PADukeMom
WELCOME TO DUKE AUSTIN!

You made an otherwise horribly, rainy day happy!

BD80
Think there will be any friendly peer pressure on Quinn to commit at CTC?

SuperTurkey
Reply Retweet

I like Nolan's reply:

@qmillertime I know who next

airowe
09-30-2010, 12:24 PM
Didn't expect it this early, but knew it would be soon. Looks like that trip to Orlando yesterday by Coach Collins really paid off (calls were made last night.)

Can't wait to see that shimmy shake jab step three that he's so well known for.

Wonder what number he'll wear? 25 is retired! Maybe 1?

striker219
09-30-2010, 12:26 PM

Hopefully it won't be available...

DevilWearsPrada
09-30-2010, 12:26 PM
I got a text message a few minutes ago, about Austin. That is awesome!!!! Looking forward to this upcoming season!!!! And perhaps we will see Austin & Doc Rivers seating behind the Duke bench this season!!! Great news on a dreary and wet day!! Another great recruit for the Coach K and the Duke BB Staff! :D:cool:

Battierfan01
09-30-2010, 12:28 PM

I hope Kyrie is still wearing that number next year!!

Dukeface88
I'm getting funny looks from my suitemate for the happy dance I just did :D

striker219
And because the first "Rivers to duke" thread wasn't enough at IC, now this thread has been started.

Austin Rivers the new face of evil?
Thoughts? Commits to I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. before visiting UNC, its like this was all a game, we all knew he was going to I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. but after getting Harrison I believe this was in the making for sometime. To be honest hes a talent but we will upperclassmen wings to go against him so I like the makeup of UNC's roster vs I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.s going forward and I always will!

Dukerati
09-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Anyone else thinking three-peat? Visions of crossovers and floaters from "Stone Cold" Austin dancing in my head.

Vasherized
09-30-2010, 12:30 PM
I'm going to miss the original Austin Rivers thread. But this confirms what we reported back in April. All that was required was a little patience, right? :cool:

Congrats on the huge pickup. He'll tear it up from day one.

Andy7207
09-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Reply Retweet

Hahahah looks like he took that tweet down... didn't want to cause too much controversy I think :D but I love Nolan's reply too

PADukeMom
09-30-2010, 12:33 PM
To quote from the ABC show the Middle: "IT'S A GREAT DAY TO BE A DUKE FAN".

I wonder if all of this rain we are having is Kong's tears.

SilkyJ
09-30-2010, 12:34 PM
I'm not a big fan of Kong's posts, but taunting him is beneath us. Come on guys.

Welcome to Duke, Austin Rivers!

sdotbarbee
09-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Hahahah looks like he took that tweet down... didn't want to cause too much controversy I think :D but I love Nolan's reply too

Glad I caught it when I did.:D Yeah Nolan's was good, I got beat to that one.;)

DukieBoy
09-30-2010, 12:35 PM
I got a text message a few minutes ago, about Austin. That is awesome!!!! Looking forward to this upcoming season!!!! And perhaps we will see Austin & Doc Rivers seating behind the Duke bench this season!!! Great news on a dreary and wet day!! Another great recruit for the Coach K and the Duke BB Staff! :D:cool:

You can probably guarantee it

Austin's brother Jeremiah plays at IU. Doc was at a game last year. I'm sure they'll make it to Duke

kong123
09-30-2010, 12:36 PM
congratulations guys. he called Roy this morning and gave him the news. the general attitude on the IC this morning is that everyone is glad that it is over. there is also a bit of backlash against the "insiders" that claimed that there was more of a chance. i still think UNC is OK without him. I think we are loaded the 2 spot. but nonetheless, would have been nice to have his talent playing for us and not against us.

superdave
09-30-2010, 12:38 PM
To add our newest family member:

http://twitter.com/austinrivers25

It makes me incredibly happy that he did this the day before the unc official. Love it!

CharlestonDevil
09-30-2010, 12:39 PM
congratulations guys. he called Roy this morning and gave him the news. the general attitude on the IC this morning is that everyone is glad that it is over. there is also a bit of backlash against the "insiders" that claimed that there was more of a chance. i still think UNC is OK without him. I think we are loaded the 2 spot. but nonetheless, would have been nice to have his talent playing for us and not against us.

Thanks for being a good sport kong. You know I'd love nothing more than to see an NBA lockout to create some Rivers/Irving vs. Barnes matchups. It is the greatest rivalry in sports, and would only intensify with a huge influx of talent.

Having said that, I hope you never get a top 100 recruit again.

sandinmyshoes
09-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Equal parts joy and relief. I couldn't have taken losing another high profile recruit at the last minute. :cool:

sdotbarbee
09-30-2010, 12:43 PM

Thanks for the congrats, but really, loaded at the 2 spot? I don't see that at all but okay.

JasonEvans
09-30-2010, 12:44 PM

Thanks for being a good sport, Kong. It takes guts to come and post after losing this one and after some of the heat you have taken.

Hey, if you are up for it, I would love for you to jump into the Carolina scandal thread and give us some thoughts from the perspective of a Carolina fan. Heck, please encourage some friends to post there too. I would like to hear if Carolina fans want Davis gone and how they feel about the breaking story about Blake and the agent.

Thanks again!

-Jason "treat him nicely, fellow Dukies... no need to gloat" Evans

kong123
09-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the congrats, but really, loaded at the 2 spot? I don't see that at all but okay.

Bullock, Strickland, McDonald, and PJ Hairston (which could be more of a 3)

NSDukeFan
09-30-2010, 12:48 PM

I have to agree with you here. AR was definitely a recruit at a position of need for UNC, but I am sure you would have liked to have had him just because of how talented he is. Bullock, Hairston, Strickland, McDonald, I would have to agree that you are loaded at the 2 spot.

Edit: Kong, I see you beat me to the punch.

watzone
09-30-2010, 12:48 PM
After a call to the coaches last evening, the process was fast forwarded which is refreshing in every way. No Skype, no PC, just a verbal to a school he wanted to play for. This one took patience but the writing had been on the wall since last July. Welcome to Duke to all of the Rivers family. He is now a part of "the" famly. It's a great day to be a Duke Blue Devil.

sdotbarbee
09-30-2010, 12:58 PM

Strickland and Mcdonald are backups and would not start over Rivers. I agree with you on Hairston I would think with his body he would slide over to the 3 but could also play the 2 if he had too.

devildeac
09-30-2010, 12:59 PM
To quote from the ABC show the Middle: "IT'S A GREAT DAY TO BE A DUKE FAN".

I wonder if all of this rain we are having is Kong's tears.

To Kong's credit, he did share "insider" info but personally really believed that AR would commit to Duke.

PADukeMom
09-30-2010, 01:04 PM
I'm not a big fan of Kong's posts, but taunting him is beneath us. Come on guys.

Welcome to Duke, Austin Rivers!

You are correct. I apologize for getting caught-up in the frenzy. I am sorry kong.

ChemGod
09-30-2010, 01:09 PM
I do not post a lot, but YEHHHAAAAA!

I hope all of the whiners who posted after we lost Harrison (who, after his ridiculous Skype, I am glad went to the Tarholes) are sucking it up.

K is a great recruiter, but this is a tough, competitive process. I am sure winning the last Olympic Gold (with the pic of ALL of the medals around his neck) and the NCAA title last year did not hurt!

ES '90, signing in from Nairobi, Kenya! ;)

DukeVol
09-30-2010, 01:12 PM
Just wanted to say YIIIIPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to DUKE Austin!!!!

**Now ending needless post.**

kong123
09-30-2010, 01:15 PM
You are correct. I apologize for getting caught-up in the frenzy. I am sorry kong.

No problem, I have tried to relay what other UNC fans were saying while tempering that info with my own opinion.

GDavidson
09-30-2010, 01:18 PM
All over other boards. We got him!

OldPhiKap
09-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Welcome, Austin!!!!

Kedsy
09-30-2010, 01:20 PM
All over other boards. We got him!

All over our board too.

Kedsy
09-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Strickland and Mcdonald are backups and would not start over Rivers. I agree with you on Hairston I would think with his body he would slide over to the 3 but could also play the 2 if he had too.

Based on reports, nobody in college would start over Rivers. UNC looks strong on the wing next year. So does Duke for that matter. Both schools would have loved to have Austin. Fortunately it looks like it's us who gets our way.

LSanders
09-30-2010, 01:28 PM
From Eammon Brennan at ESPN:

http://http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/15932/rivers-wastes-no-time-telling-duke-yes

My favorite quote:

"Perhaps more interesting is what it says about the current state of Duke's program. Remember when the Blue Devils were faltering? Remember when Duke couldn't get past the Sweet 16? Remember when Coach K was spending too much time with the national team? Remember when the Blue Devils weren't deep enough? Remember when Duke couldn't lure top recruits anymore?

Those days -- if they even existed in the first place -- are officially over. The Blue Devils are the reigning national champions; they're the favorite for the 2010-11 crown, thanks in part to one of the best recruits in the 2010 class, Kyrie Irving; and they just signed the best overall player in the class of 2011. If Duke "went" anywhere, it is officially back. That's a scary thought."

In K We Trust

Welcome, AR!! It's gonna be a fun ride ... :cool:

rhcpflea99
09-30-2010, 01:29 PM
This is awesome, wish Austin good luck his Senior year and we will see at CTC!!!

cbnaylor
09-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Welcome to the Duke Family Austin! Thanks for not pulling a Lebron on us!

elvis14
09-30-2010, 01:36 PM
This is really great news for both Duke and Austin Rivers. I think the sun just came out here in RTP! Order has been restored!

DukeBlueNV
09-30-2010, 01:36 PM
HAHAHA yes! They are talking about Austin and Duke on sportscenter now!

superdave
09-30-2010, 01:37 PM

http://http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/15932/rivers-wastes-no-time-telling-duke-yes

My favorite quote:

"Perhaps more interesting is what it says about the current state of Duke's program. Remember when the Blue Devils were faltering? Remember when Duke couldn't get past the Sweet 16? Remember when Coach K was spending too much time with the national team? Remember when the Blue Devils weren't deep enough? Remember when Duke couldn't lure top recruits anymore?

Those days -- if they even existed in the first place -- are officially over. The Blue Devils are the reigning national champions; they're the favorite for the 2010-11 crown, thanks in part to one of the best recruits in the 2010 class, Kyrie Irving; and they just signed the best overall player in the class of 2011. If Duke "went" anywhere, it is officially back. That's a scary thought."

I dont really have anything to add. It's just nice to see the media ackowledge Duke in a respectful and admiring tone.

whereinthehellami
09-30-2010, 01:37 PM
What a great suprise this is. Great job by Coach K to close the deal before the official visits. Great day to be a Duke fan and a not so great day to be a heel.

Battierfan01
09-30-2010, 01:39 PM
All over our board too.

Yeah, can you believe we are already on page 5 of this thread. :)

theAlaskanBear
09-30-2010, 01:39 PM
well, he has said himself he'd more strongly consider it rivers were his backcourt mate. and with the nba lockout looming, you never know.

With the Wizards owner telling the media there will be a hard cap in the NBA, it does indeed appear like a lockout is going to happen. It also makes sense why so much $$$ was thrown around this offseason -- teams knew they could collect the rights to the players and not be inflating salaries down the road. I think Kyrie is two years.

And welcome to Duke Austin Rivers! Another NBA family with great tradition joins the fold!

Duvall
09-30-2010, 01:48 PM

A solid group, even if it looks like they will probably have to cover the 3 as well as the 2 in 2011-2012.

cspan37421
09-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Is this another tragedy in Chapel Hill on the order of a Haitian earthquake? I mean, c'mon, it's Roy's life we're talking about here.

But seriously, while I don't wish a lockout on anyone, I would enjoy turning down the dial on the one-and-dones for awhile.

jipops
09-30-2010, 01:55 PM

You guys are more than OK without him with all the scorers already loaded in the back court. Should be some good battles in the coming years, which means I better go ahead and get my blood pressure under control.

weezie
09-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Great day to be a Duke fan and a not so great day to be a heel.

Every day is a great day to be a Duke fan...and every day of being a 'hole fan must be pretty miserable.

Yay Austin!!!! Can't wait!

kong123
09-30-2010, 01:59 PM
You guys are more than OK without him with all the scorers already loaded in the back court. Should be some good battles in the coming years, which means I better go ahead and get my blood pressure under control.

we will see, if there is a lockout, then UNC will have a ton of talent next year. i still hold out hope that this years squad can be a special bunch. maybe not final 4 special, but fun to watch and anything can happen special.

Bluedevil114
09-30-2010, 01:59 PM
That is too bad for Carolina that this was done just before his official visit. Looks like Austin will now have to wait for his official visit to UNC in February/March 2012 when he drops 40 on them in a Duke uniform.

bl33dblu3
09-30-2010, 02:01 PM
Dynasty in durham!

AlaskanAssassin
09-30-2010, 02:02 PM
“Even though it’s the worst kept secret in basketball, he was thinking, ‘How does this set me up for life?’” Joseph said. “‘What am I gonna do for the next 40 years instead of just playing basketball. Duke can help me in life besides basketball.’”

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/09/30/austin-rivers-to-duke

enick66
09-30-2010, 02:04 PM
New Tweet from Austin! @AustinRivers25 World i have decided to go to duke! Let's go blue devils ha'

kong123
09-30-2010, 02:05 PM
Every day is a great day to be a Duke fan...and every day of being a 'hole fan must be pretty miserable.

Yay Austin!!!! Can't wait!

after last years collapse and now the football investigation, we need something good to happen. basketball season starting soon will be a great distraction for the fans. personally, I expected this the entire time, so it becoming a reality isn't a big blow. I am not even a bit bummed out about it. There are some over on the IC that devour all of the "inside" info and get so pumped on it that they go insane, those guys are bumming right now. I have learned that "inside" info doesn't really exist over there. These guys are mostly guys who know one or two people that work for the university and then throw around a bunch of BS trying to get attention. Its a joke and these guys got busted on it this time. People will never learn their lessons though. They still hold out hope that they are truly getting inside info and when they think they have it, the run with it. Unless it comes from a moderator, I choose to limit my interest in it. I admit, i did get caught up in it. First time, last time.

loran16
09-30-2010, 02:14 PM

My favorite quote:

In K We Trust

Welcome, AR!! It's gonna be a fun ride ... :cool:

Look at this past year:

8/22 Irving Commits to Duke

11/13 Barnes Commits to UNC
12/2 Duke Loses to Wisconsin in first Road Game
1/9 Duke Loses to GT in second Road Game, is 1-1 in ACC.
1/20 Duke Loses to NC State in 3rd Road Game (Rock Bottom)
1/30 Duke Loses to GTown.

2/10 Duke beats Carolina on Road
2/13 Zoubek into starting lineup. Duke beats Maryland.
3/3 Duke barely loses to MD on road.
3/6 82-50

3/11 Gbinije Commits to Duke

3/14 Duke wins ACC Tourny
3/28 Duke beats Baylor, into Final Four
4/3 Big 3 Combine to Crush WVU
4/5 National Champs

9/30: Austin Rivers Commits to Duke

Seriously, before the Maryland game, Kyrie looked like the only good thing in a miserable year. Then after UNC and Maryland, everything goes our way.

What a difference 7 months makes.

Bluedevil114
09-30-2010, 02:17 PM
Look at this past year:

8/22 Irving Commits to Duke

11/13 Barnes Commits to UNC
12/2 Duke Loses to Wisconsin in first Road Game
1/9 Duke Loses to GT in second Road Game, is 1-1 in ACC.
1/20 Duke Loses to NC State in 3rd Road Game (Rock Bottom)
1/30 Duke Loses to GTown.

2/10 Duke beats Carolina on Road
2/13 Zoubek into starting lineup. Duke beats Maryland.
3/3 Duke barely loses to MD on road.
3/6 82-50

3/11 Gbinije Commits to Duke

3/14 Duke wins ACC Tourny
3/28 Duke beats Baylor, into Final Four
4/3 Big 3 Combine to Crush WVU
4/5 National Champs

9/30: Austin Rivers Commits to Duke

Seriously, before the Maryland game, Kyrie looked like the only good thing in a miserable year. Then after UNC and Maryland, everything goes our way.

Dont forget about Marshall Plumlee. That proved how great Coach K is to play for when you have three brothers from different years choose the same school.

SuperTurkey
09-30-2010, 02:18 PM

Indeed. And it should also keep us humble knowing how quickly things can flip on you.

dukeballboy88
09-30-2010, 02:19 PM
wow i feel like i took a 5hour energy!!!

i didnt know why roy was recruiting him to begin with because they are loaded at the guard position and im pretty sure roy has a few tricks up his sleeve.

anyway, kyrie and austin back court maybe the best the acc has ever seen!

PADukeMom
09-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Okay call me crazy or perhaps I've had too much Nyquil but...

Even though it’s the worst kept secret in basketball, he was thinking, ‘How does this set me up for life?’” Joseph said. “‘What am I gonna do for the next 40 years instead of just playing basketball. Duke can help me in life besides basketball.’

...this statement does not sound like a one & done player.

loran16
09-30-2010, 02:25 PM
Okay call me crazy or perhaps I've had too much Nyquil but...

Even though it’s the worst kept secret in basketball, he was thinking, ‘How does this set me up for life?’” Joseph said. “‘What am I gonna do for the next 40 years instead of just playing basketball. Duke can help me in life besides basketball.’

...this statement does not sound like a one & done player.

Eh. I'm of the opinion there are 3 types of one and done players:
#1: The ones who have no interest in school and would clearly jump to the NBA right away if they didnt have to go to college. (Demarcus Cousins fits this pretty well)
#2: The ones who are not projected out of HS to be one and dones, have great seasons and then leave before their stock can decrease (Eric Bledsoe, Daniel Orton are examples here).

Then there's #3:
The guys who probably could've gone straight out of HS if the rule wasnt in place, but who are interested in college, and with the rule in place, don't want to rule out staying in college if something (injury, fluke bad performance) lowers their stock in the first year.

I think Kyrie, Barnes, and now Rivers are the 3rd type. They're still probably one and dones, but they have some interest in college, and won't jump to the next level if they have a bad year that reduces their stock too much. Lockouts may also affect things (hard to tell).

(Note that Duke should have an edge on the #3 type players, as those guys are the ones likely looking at the school's academic credentials as well as chances to win a championship, rather than just showcasing their skills (Kentucky))

nmduke2001
09-30-2010, 02:26 PM
I was firmly on the side of those that thought the national team was hurting recruiting. Crow never tasted so good.

superdave
09-30-2010, 02:26 PM
after last years collapse and now the football investigation, we need something good to happen. basketball season starting soon will be a great distraction for the fans. personally, I expected this the entire time, so it becoming a reality isn't a big blow. I am not even a bit bummed out about it. There are some over on the IC that devour all of the "inside" info and get so pumped on it that they go insane, those guys are bumming right now. I have learned that "inside" info doesn't really exist over there. These guys are mostly guys who know one or two people that work for the university and then throw around a bunch of BS trying to get attention. Its a joke and these guys got busted on it this time. People will never learn their lessons though. They still hold out hope that they are truly getting inside info and when they think they have it, the run with it. Unless it comes from a moderator, I choose to limit my interest in it. I admit, i did get caught up in it. First time, last time.

When it rains, it pours. Duke fans felt that way after an 09 title for unc, losing Wall and Barnes and not getting past the Sweet 16 for a few years.

Just keep in mind that 300 other NCAA basketball programs would happily trade places with us.

MChambers
09-30-2010, 02:28 PM
we will see, if there is a lockout, then UNC will have a ton of talent next year. i still hold out hope that this years squad can be a special bunch. maybe not final 4 special, but fun to watch and anything can happen special.

All UNC needs is Cody Zeller, right?

SilkyJ
09-30-2010, 02:33 PM
I have learned that "inside" info doesn't really exist over there......I admit, i did get caught up in it. First time, last time.

Way to man up, Kong. Seriously.

I hope folks here will learn there lesson as well. We have our own insiders who are plenty knowledgeable and needn't put much stock in the "insiders" over at IC, who a have terrible track record.

enick66
09-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Cool article with quotes from AR from Scout about his decision - http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1007516.html

CLW
09-30-2010, 02:42 PM
For what it is worth, ESPN now has Duke with the #2 class (behind Kentucky).

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/classrankings

I'm really interested in whether K and Co. set their sites on Miller or Cook as the final piece to this year's class. (my understanding is that there is only 1 Scholarship left now)

grossbus
09-30-2010, 02:44 PM
welcome to Duke, Austin.

now i can at least look at him when we are in the gym or at 310 park south and not have to pretend he isn't there. :D

moonpie23
09-30-2010, 02:49 PM
Way to man up, Kong. Seriously.

look, kong comes in here armed with stability and patience, tempered with reasonable posts and a thick skin. We, in turn, treat him as fairly as we can with dark blue glasses on....

but MAKE NO MISTAKE........if kong went into IC as a duke fan with EXACTLY the same demeanor, posts, reason, and thick skin....he'd be run out of there, or he'd just quit going...i know.......

this is a civil board...

http://ui32.gamespot.com/479/702headbanginstick_2.gif

Battierfan01
09-30-2010, 02:58 PM
look, kong comes in here armed with stability and patience, tempered with reasonable posts and a thick skin. We, in turn, treat him as fairly as we can with dark blue glasses on....

but MAKE NO MISTAKE........if kong went into IC as a duke fan with EXACTLY the same demeanor, posts, reason, and thick skin....he'd be run out of there, or he'd just quit going...i know.......

this is a civil board...

http://ui32.gamespot.com/479/702headbanginstick_2.gif

I agree with you 100%. This is why we all love DBR and enjoy posting here. I recommend DBR to every true blue Duke fan I know. :D

UrinalCake
09-30-2010, 03:06 PM
My favorite quote:

"Remember when the Blue Devils were faltering? Remember when Duke couldn't get past the Sweet 16? Remember when Coach K was spending too much time with the national team? Remember when the Blue Devils weren't deep enough? Remember when Duke couldn't lure top recruits anymore?"

I would also add: Remember when it wasn't considered "cool" to play for Duke? Remember when Duke didn't recruit any athletes?

NashvilleDevil
09-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Remember when it wasn't considered "cool" to play for Duke?

I was watching some of Austin's mix tapes after the announcement and that was one of the first things I thought. I am always excited about Duke basketball but these next couple of years are going to be a joy to watch.

Gthoma2a
09-30-2010, 03:17 PM
Here is my thing, I don't know where to go from here. I think Quincy is just playing and that Cook is our guy considering Quincy wants to stay with Bello. If Kyrie stays, I would feel bad for Quinn having to mix in at PG, but if Kyrie goes, he will be one of the men running the show. If Kyrie stays, it would be a complete luxory to have Quincy to play the 4. I don't know what needs to happen, but I am excited about the prospects of that much talent on a team. Tyler Adams is a beast from Quincy's accounts, so a dominating big man is there, and plenty of talent and athleticism is there to go around him. Yikes!

If you read this board, thank you so much Austin Rivers for your commitment! You have made my day.

Saratoga2
09-30-2010, 03:22 PM
He is another special player and will be part of a very strong team. He couldn't do better than Duke and coach K will know how to use him to his and the schools full benefit.

jv001
09-30-2010, 03:26 PM

Kong my man, you are far different than most unc fans that I know. Like Jason said, way to man up. I respect you and most of your comments. Keep posting man. And like Jason said give us a perspective from other unc fans regarding the football program. Have a great day. And Austin, welcome to Duke University.

mph
09-30-2010, 03:37 PM
http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/09/30/austin-rivers-to-duke

The article contains a couple of nice quotes, especially from Rivers himself. However, Zagoria needs to start proofreading his posts or hire someone else to do it for him.

“I made the decision last late last night,” the 6-foot-5, 197-pound Rivers said by phone.

followed by...

The 6-foot-3 Rivers — who initially committed to Florida and then changed his mind — had planned to visit Carolina this weekend and Kansas Oct. 22.

Rivers lost two inches in three paragraphs!http://www.eoeforums.com/tatsu/smilies/eek.gif

wtm001
09-30-2010, 03:48 PM
Saw this on espn mobile while I work! I ran around giving everyone high fives!:D

Indoor66
09-30-2010, 03:53 PM
And yet more proof that Order Has Been Restored!

And I chose today to wear my Order Has Been Restored tee shirt!!!! :cool:;)

cbnaylor
09-30-2010, 03:54 PM
The more and more I think about it, it makes me happy that Rivers committed just before going to UNC for the weekend. :) I bet Roy is PO'd because they probably put a lot of planning into this weekend. What goes around comes back around Roy!

Duke of Nashville
09-30-2010, 03:56 PM
Here is my thing, I don't know where to go from here. I think Quincy is just playing and that Cook is our guy considering Quincy wants to stay with Bello. If Kyrie stays, I would feel bad for Quinn having to mix in at PG, but if Kyrie goes, he will be one of the men running the show. If Kyrie stays, it would be a complete luxory to have Quincy to play the 4. I don't know what needs to happen, but I am excited about the prospects of that much talent on a team. Tyler Adams is a beast from Quincy's accounts, so a dominating big man is there, and plenty of talent and athleticism is there to go around him. Yikes!

If you read this board, thank you so much Austin Rivers for your commitment! You have made my day.

"They were just honest with what they see me doing," he said about Duke. "They loved me. That was something I was looking for, a school that loved me and cared about me and wanted to make me better."

This quote from Rivals says it all. This makes me proud to be a Duke Fan. Welcome to Duke Austin Rivers!

As far as Quincy Miller goes I think this can only help our chances to land him. I haven't bought into him and Bello being a package.

Between him and Cook he is actually the only one to have been formally offered, correct?

Duvall
09-30-2010, 04:03 PM
Between him and Cook he is actually the only one to have been formally offered, correct?

It's my understanding that both Cook and Miller have offers.

AlaskanAssassin
09-30-2010, 04:07 PM
The word today is that Duke has landed the prized recruit, but his father insists that it's not quite a done deal.

"He's leaning there," Doc Rivers said of Duke. "Most likely he'll commit within the next couple of days."

http://www.nesn.com/2010/09/doc-rivers-on-austins-committment-to-duke-its-not-official-yet.html

Battierfan01
09-30-2010, 04:11 PM
http://www.nesn.com/2010/09/doc-rivers-on-austins-committment-to-duke-its-not-official-yet.html

Yeah, I read this as well. What?? :confused:

deezl
09-30-2010, 04:13 PM

AustinRivers25

World i have decided to go to duke! Let's go blue devils ha' half a minute ago via Echofon

cbnaylor
09-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Guys, it's a done deal. That's just somebody trying to get hits on their page.

Battierfan01
09-30-2010, 04:17 PM

AustinRivers25

World i have decided to go to duke! Let's go blue devils ha' half a minute ago via Echofon

Thanks for the reassurance. ;)

Devilsfan
09-30-2010, 04:20 PM
Our star recruit didn't need ESPNU to stage a major production. He committed with class and humility.

Battierfan01
09-30-2010, 04:22 PM
Our star recruit didn't need ESPNU to stage a major production. He committed with class and humility.

Sounds like he is a PERFECT fit!!

deezl
09-30-2010, 04:23 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVpmz1HDLpg

Like Kyrie? lol I know what you are saying.

-bdbd
09-30-2010, 04:23 PM
"They were just honest with what they see me doing," he said about Duke. "They loved me. That was something I was looking for, a school that loved me and cared about me and wanted to make me better."

This quote from Rivals says it all. This makes me proud to be a Duke Fan. Welcome to Duke Austin Rivers!

As far as Quincy Miller goes I think this can only help our chances to land him. I haven't bought into him and Bello being a package.

Wahooo! Especially with some of the recent Kerlina trash-talking, this one is SWEEEET! (It also is great payback and "restoration to the natural order of things" turnaround after HB last year.) That said, great props to Kong for manning up. Class move.

I would think as well that this HAS to enhance our shot at QM... Hadn't heard a lot recently in the wake of his L'ville visit, which is probably good.

And, yes, all the reports I've seen have said only QM has been offered, though there was a clear expectation that one was headed for Mr. Cook. I really don't see it as any sort of show-stopper if KI stays a second year - something that won't be known for 6 months - b/c (1) KI is probably still more than 50/50 to go pro, (2) They can always play together a la Bledsoe and Wall at KY last year (both becoming lottery pick as I recall), (3) Didn't it used to be the NORM that a kid spent at least one year backing up upperclassmen before starting (at PG or any other slot)?? Seems like a terrific opportunity for Cook to learn a LOT from two sure-fire future NBA guards before taking over control of a reigning National Champion team his soph year...

Oh happy day!! :D :) :cool:
Welcome to Duke Austin !!!!!!!!! ;)

UrinalCake
09-30-2010, 04:27 PM

This reminds me of how Kevin Durant handled his recent contract extension, as opposed to, say, Lebron.

Greg_Newton
09-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Guys, it's a done deal. That's just somebody trying to get hits on their page.

Yup.
"It's not official yet," Doc Rivers said at Celtics training camp in Newport, R.I. "I'll wait and let him do it."

Sounds like Doc just hadn't caught up with Austin since everything leaked, and wanted to be absolutely sure he didn't steal his son's thunder. Just being a good dad!

I tell ya, I was having a horrible day, and then I pull up the DBR home page to this wondrous news. Today is a good day!

Side note, big props to airowe (Dukehoopblog) and watzone (Bluedevilnation) for clearly being in tune with Duke's info and mindset throughout the whole process. Pitchforks aside, we should remember that going forward. Also, props to Vasherized... his connection was with the Rivers camp rather than Duke's, if I remember correctly, but he gained some credibility in my book too.

sdotbarbee
09-30-2010, 04:31 PM
AR will be on ESPNU's recruiting show at 5pm est today, if anyone wants to check it out.

Dukeface88
09-30-2010, 04:36 PM
Wahooo! Especially with some of the recent Kerlina trash-talking, this one is SWEEEET! (It also is great payback and "restoration to the natural order of things" turnaround after HB last year.) That said, great props to Kong for manning up. Class move.

I would think as well that this HAS to enhance our shot at QM... Hadn't heard a lot recently in the wake of his L'ville visit, which is probably good.

And, yes, all the reports I've seen have said only QM has been offered, though there was a clear expectation that one was headed for Mr. Cook. I really don't see it as any sort of show-stopper if KI stays a second year - something that won't be known for 6 months - b/c (1) KI is probably still more than 50/50 to go pro, (2) They can always play together a la Bledsoe and Wall at KY last year (both becoming lottery pick as I recall), (3) Didn't it used to be the NORM that a kid spent at least one year backing up upperclassmen before starting (at PG or any other slot)?? Seems like a terrific opportunity for Cook to learn a LOT from two sure-fire future NBA guards before taking over control of a reigning National Champion team his soph year...

Oh happy day!! :D :) :cool:
Welcome to Duke Austin !!!!!!!!! ;)

The issue with Cook is that we only have one scholarship open right now, which is (presumably) reserved for Miller. It's possible that we end up with more at the end of the year from KI or MP2 leaving early, but I think the staff prefers not to make that assumption. Of course, if Miller goes elsewhere this is all moot.

DevilHorns
09-30-2010, 04:51 PM
http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/Coach/PHOTO/COLLINS-CHRIS150.JPG

Collins seals the deal on Wednesday night!!

Feels so great! Can't wait for the ESPNU recruiting special at 5 pm today.

PS - Anybody think its kind of bizarre how the high school coach spilled the news to ESPN? At first I was a little hesitant, but now that Austin posted this tweet (http://twitter.com/austinrivers25), no reason for skepticism.

A preview of our future star (A MUST WATCH!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfEGZ9RNTj0

Battierfan01
09-30-2010, 04:53 PM
AR will be on ESPNU's recruiting show at 5pm est today, if anyone wants to check it out.

Just set my DVR. Thanks for the info. Man this is a GREAT DAY!!

striker219
09-30-2010, 05:11 PM
Can anyone give a recap after the recruiting show for those of us without ESPNU access?

NashvilleDevil
09-30-2010, 05:12 PM
Can anyone give a recap after the recruiting show for those of us without ESPNU access?

Or those of us still at work in flyover country

DevilHorns
09-30-2010, 05:19 PM

Decided Wednesday night. Said he just knew it was right for him, had that "gut feeling." Said something to the tune of 'I just really love Duke University.' Thought there was no need to prolong his recruitment, so why even take those other scheduled visits. Talked to his dad about it, and really just felt that he could envision a perfect fit at Duke for him in the future. Called Coach Collins first as he was talking to him earlier that evening/night. Repeatedly said that he wants to win, and that he wants to be a leader, not just a scorer/playmaker.

What a great day to be a Blue Devil (false, every day is a great day to be a Blue Devil)

Class of '94
09-30-2010, 05:59 PM
I was tied to my desk and work all day and didn't have a chance to check DBR or espn until now. Man, I can't believe all that's happened while I was away.....

This is awesome!!!!!! Welcome to Duke Mr. Rivers, and congrats to the Coaching staff for sealing the deal.

As some other posters have noted, I too would like to congratulate our "insiders" for staying strong and convicted about their information. Airowe, Watzone, JimSumner, Duke Taylor....You guys are the best. And a special shout out to Vash who stood strong with his belief and insider information that AR was coming to Duke for months. You deserve a lot of kudos as well.

PS I'm in awe at how quickly this new thread went to 8 pages in only a matter of a few hours;)

OldPhiKap
09-30-2010, 05:59 PM
Decided Wednesday night. Said he just knew it was right for him, had that "gut feeling." Said something to the tune of 'I just really love Duke University.' Thought there was no need to prolong his recruitment, so why even take those other scheduled visits. Talked to his dad about it, and really just felt that he could envision a perfect fit at Duke for him in the future. Called Coach Collins first as he was talking to him earlier that evening/night. Repeatedly said that he wants to win, and that he wants to be a leader, not just a scorer/playmaker.

What a great day to be a Blue Devil (false, every day is a great day to be a Blue Devil)

Interesting to hear about his budding relationship with Collins -- probably helps that he is the son of an NBA coach as well. I didn't really think about that until now; I suspect that Chris helped close the deal in a pretty significant way.

jnastasi
09-30-2010, 06:04 PM
Any reason for Doc saying he hasn't committed yet? I just read that through an AP report

4decadedukie
09-30-2010, 06:06 PM
Welcome Austin, thank you, and know that being a Dukie is a life-long advantages, in many areas that extend beyond basketball.

Lord Ash
09-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Any reason for Doc saying he hasn't committed yet? I just read that through an AP report

That quote may have been from earlier in the day, and dad just wanted his son to be the first official family member to say it.

DevilHorns
09-30-2010, 06:15 PM

He's gone live on ESPNU and stated the he has chosen Duke.

If Doc was interviewed, I'm sure he'd say the same. Official AP reports are fast, but not as fast as live tv.

BD80
09-30-2010, 06:30 PM
Interesting to hear about his budding relationship with Collins -- probably helps that he is the son of an NBA coach as well. I didn't really think about that until now; I suspect that Chris helped close the deal in a pretty significant way.

Then how come Chris couldn't reel in Cody Karl? ;)

Daddies Doug and Doc were also former college AA's, high first round picks, and NBA all-stars. Chris and Austin do have a lot in common, at least in dealing with paternal expectations.

Hmm, the Duke bench has recently been full of sons of pro players/coaches:

Gerald, Marty, Nolan, Seth, Austin, Coach Collins.

I think Coach K's message has always resonated with those that have been successful at the highest level.

60's Devil
09-30-2010, 06:32 PM
Fabulous news. Coach K head to head with Ol' Roy and we win!!!!!!!

airowe
09-30-2010, 06:37 PM
So, I told my Pops about this today. He started calling his Hole friends offering free tours of the unc basketball facility. When they asked why, he told them Austin Rivers' spot just opened up and they were looking for people to fill in!

dukeimac
09-30-2010, 06:42 PM
Isn't anyone concerned?

Lets see, I'll commit to Florida, and then I'll change my mind.
I'll take my time making my college decision, and then I'll change my mind.
I'll take 3 site visits to colleges of my choice, and then I'll change my mind.

I won't get excited until the boy signs on the doted line, no wait I decided to change my mind.

You'd all be saying the same thing if he choose one of the other schools.

Class of '94
09-30-2010, 06:48 PM
Shabazz and Alex Murphy.......

Just kidding, I'm going to take some time to enjoy Austin's announcement and decision to come to Duke before thinking about the class of 2012...:cool:

kong123
09-30-2010, 06:50 PM
Fabulous news. Coach K head to head with Ol' Roy and we win!!!!!!!

i wouldn't call it a fair fight, he leaned Duke all the way. Shabazz will be a fair fight.

SuperTurkey
09-30-2010, 06:52 PM
I won't get excited until the boy signs on the doted line, no wait I decided to change my mind.

Not concerned in the least. He dotes on the dotted line. He's coming to Duke.

wtm001
09-30-2010, 06:54 PM
Can't wait for CTC!

Duvall
09-30-2010, 06:56 PM
i wouldn't call it a fair fight, he leaned Duke all the way.

No excuses, now.

kong123
09-30-2010, 07:08 PM
No excuses, now.

no excuses, just stating the facts.

Spam Filter
09-30-2010, 07:19 PM
Watching the highlights he actually reminds me a lot of Stephen Curry.

He's a little bit bigger but the game is very similar.

NashvilleDevil
09-30-2010, 07:26 PM
Isn't anyone concerned?

If I recall Austin always said his time frame for choosing a school was going to be before his season started. He is coming to Duke please do not play chicken little.

jimsumner
09-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Isn't anyone concerned?

No concerns at all. Nada, zilch, zero.

Relax. Deep, cleansing breathes. Repeat as necessary.

airowe
09-30-2010, 07:28 PM
i wouldn't call it a fair fight, he leaned Duke all the way. Shabazz will be a fair fight.

How is that not a fair fight? There was nothing unfair about it, roy just got his orange oompa-loompa looking butt handed to him on every turn.

juise
09-30-2010, 07:47 PM
How is that not a fair fight? There was nothing unfair about it, roy just got his orange oompa-loompa looking butt handed to him on every turn.

I don't want to take anything away from Roy's success, but comparing him to K in any way is about as fair a fight as 82-50 was. :cool:

Welcome to the family, Austin (and the rest of the Rivers clan, of course).

DevilHorns
09-30-2010, 08:24 PM

Hmm... I think it truly wouldn't have been a fair fight if his name was Austin Krzyzewski Rivers :p

Waynne
09-30-2010, 08:33 PM
This is huge. I almost fell out of my seat when I turned on the computer a few minutes ago. Getting Kyrie and Austin could really open up our recruiting. Welcome to the family, Austin and Doc, and congratulations for making a very wise decision.

CLT Devil
09-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Isn't anyone concerned?

Very good day, but I agree that I won't be completely un-anxious until I see that pic like Kyrie recently sent with his actual jersey on. I think he's 100% in the truck, but me being me I will find a way to be worried...just a little...can't help it...

Welcome to Duke Austin....you are in for the ride of your life!!

Nugget
09-30-2010, 08:43 PM

I'm thrilled to hear of Austin's commitment to Duke, but I think Kong does have a point, in that it's got to be a bit easier to sell Austin on Duke given our roster situation than it is for Roy to do so already having a prime recruits at Austin's position 1 year ahead in the program (Bullock) and in the same class (Hairston).

I think there is some truth to the notion of Austin being a "need" recruit for Duke, and a bit more of a "luxury" recruit for UNC.

airowe
09-30-2010, 08:48 PM
I'm thrilled to hear of Austin's commitment to Duke, but I think Kong does have a point, in that it's got to be a bit easier to sell Austin on Duke given our roster situation than it is for Roy to do so already having a prime recruits at Austin's position 1 year ahead in the program (Bullock) and in the same class (Hairston).

I think there is some truth to the notion of Austin being a "need" recruit for Duke, and a bit more of a "luxury" recruit for UNC.

I disagree. Rivers would start anywhere. I'm also pretty sure that we didn't have Austin meet his childhood idol by his Ferrari underneath Cameron, didn't have the most ridiculous alumni basketball game while we raised a banner, passed out rings, and had Rivers' idol inducted into the Hall of Fame. I'm also pretty sure that Rivers wasn't named after any former Duke Basketball players.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Duke: A Dynasty
09-30-2010, 08:51 PM
OK so the one day I dont have access to the internet until late is the day AR commits. I feel cheated but am so relieved he finally commited I cant help but be excited :D

SilkyJ
09-30-2010, 08:53 PM
I disagree. Rivers would start anywhere. I'm also pretty sure that we didn't have Austin meet his childhood idol by his Ferrari underneath Cameron, didn't have the most ridiculous alumni basketball game while we raised a banner, passed out rings, and had Rivers' idol inducted into the Hall of Fame. I'm also pretty sure that Rivers wasn't named after any former Duke Basketball players.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Well of course not! Everyone knows there's no parking lot under cameron...though there is a secret entrance from Card, not that I ever used it to sneak into a UNC game ;):eek::cool:

09-30-2010, 08:54 PM

I would have to disagree as well. AR would have started anywhere but what if he was on the team this year? Would we be forced to play a 3 guard lineup? Cause Kyrie/Austin/Nolan i mean who would be benched in a traditional lineup.

OldPhiKap
09-30-2010, 09:03 PM
Well of course not! Everyone knows there's no parking lot under cameron...though there is a secret entrance from Card, not that I ever used it to sneak into a UNC game ;):eek::cool:

Not to give away state secrets, but for those who ever did "tunneling" or who plan to -- the diagrams and schematics were stored in the rare records collection in Perkins and I assume are still there.

(If this doesn't make any sense to you -- probably for the best).

Oh yeah, and I don't see this as the great statement between K and Roy, or Duke and UNC. Both coaches are great recruiters, both schools have great tradition, both programs present great opportunities to play hoops and launch a career. Austin obviously felt that we were a better fit for a number of reasons, most of which seem to have been hit on this thread. I for one think he made a wonderful and wise decision, but if he had chosen the Dark Side it would not reflect negatively on Duke, K, or anything else. Those who are meant to be here come here, those who are meant to go elsewhere go elsewhere.

Glad he's coming here.

Jim3k
09-30-2010, 09:13 PM
Not to give away state secrets, but for those who ever did "tunneling" or who plan to -- the diagrams and schematics were stored in the rare records collection in Perkins and I assume are still there.

Well, if you've ever been in the Card basement locker room (and OPK, I'm sure you were), the tunnel to Cameron (well, DIS, in your case) was no secret. It was wide open and used by every male who used the locker room and who wanted to play a little rat ball. Well, varsity/freshman practices meant you had to wait until they were over.

Oh yeah, and I don't see this as the great statement between K and Roy, or Duke and UNC. Both coaches are great recruiters, both schools have great tradition, both programs present great opportunities to play hoops and launch a career. Austin obviously felt that we were a better fit for a number of reasons, most of which seem to have been hit on this thread. I for one think he made a wonderful and wise decision, but if he had chosen the Dark Side it would not reflect negatively on Duke, K, or anything else. Those who are meant to be here come here, those who are meant to go elsewhere go elsewhere.

Glad he's coming here.

Agree, but great fun, nevertheless.

OldPhiKap
09-30-2010, 09:24 PM
^^^ True, and true.

77devil
09-30-2010, 09:53 PM

Never saw the plans, but had lot's of fun in the tunnels under East and West. Back in the day, the entrances on West were a state secret or at least closely guarded.

NYC Duke Fan
09-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Could you imagine if Irving stayed after this year....Rivers, Irving, Curry, Thorton and Dawkins in the backcourt.....WOW !!!!

OldPhiKap
09-30-2010, 10:18 PM
Never saw the plans, but had lot's of fun in the tunnels under East and West. Back in the day, the entrances on West were a state secret or at least closely guarded.

On East, you can get all the way down to the power plant on the other side of the painted bridge. The campus is a big loop. Or, um, so I'm told.

On topic -- Austin, you don't need to Dome or Tunnel or go backwards around the traffic circle. I'll leave the other two up to you, if you choose, but discretion is key. Everyone has a videophone these days.

(Again, if this doesn't make any sense to you -- probably even better than the last time it didn't make sense).

_TheFakeJWill_
09-30-2010, 10:20 PM
so question.... (knowing this is 400 days away BUT) does anyone see a Kyrie, Curry, Rivers, Plum1, Plum2 lineup? I mean Henderson was 6' 4'' and so is rivers. And Henderson had 2 6' 8'' PFs and Rivers would have 6' 10''+ in front of him.... just a thought!

airowe
09-30-2010, 10:27 PM
so question.... (knowing this is 400 days away BUT) does anyone see a Kyrie, Curry, Rivers, Plum1, Plum2 lineup? I mean Henderson was 6' 4'' and so is rivers. And Henderson had 2 6' 8'' PFs and Rivers would have 6' 10''+ in front of him.... just a thought!

No. Kyrie won't be here anymore.

OldPhiKap
09-30-2010, 10:29 PM
No. Kyrie won't be here anymore.

Kyrie will be on the three-year JWill program. They will play together for two years.

09-30-2010, 10:31 PM

yea i could see it but the only problem is all 3 of those guards are considered pgs who play best with the ball in their own hands so how well will that work. And heres a real dillema for everyone: Imagine you are the Coach with that lineup down 2 with three seconds left. OK so who inbounds it and who gets ball if your set play gets who you want open to recieve the inbounds pass? O and you have already gotten past halfcourt btw.

airowe
09-30-2010, 10:31 PM
Kyrie will be on the three-year JWill program. They will play together for two years.

I wish that were the cases, but unless something happens (injury, lockout, unexpected poor play) Kyrie is gone...

wtm001
09-30-2010, 10:32 PM
I wish that were the cases, but unless something happens (injury, lockout, unexpected poor play) Kyrie is gone...

I sure hope you're wrong

airowe
09-30-2010, 10:34 PM
I sure hope you're wrong

It's happened before once or twice. :rolleyes:

Kyrie will have a tough decision on his hands at the end of this season. He's already projected very high. Enough of that talk though, this is the day to celebrate!

Kedsy
09-30-2010, 10:39 PM
Getting Kyrie and Austin could really open up our recruiting.

Yeah, because it hasn't been so good up 'till now.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-30-2010, 10:41 PM
Very cool, Mr. Rivers! :cool: Welcome to Duke! See you on the 15th!

09-30-2010, 10:42 PM

well KI is the pg we have been in need of since J-will and AR is the superstar (sure fire NBA lvl recruit) we havnt had in awhile and it will make more kids open their eyes to being recruited by Duke for the next few years

Jderf
09-30-2010, 10:49 PM
For what it is worth, ESPN now has Duke with the #2 class (behind Kentucky).

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/classrankings

Favorite quote from ESPN's page on recruiting class rankings: "He will fit well in coach Mike Krzyzewski's up-tempo style."

That sounds more like a reason to go get coached by Ol' Roy. A year ago we were the team who's plodding pace dragged their opponents into a half-court slugfest. Now we are suddenly champions of the up-tempo style again? We're supposed to run and gun next year, but we haven't actually seen that on the court. Yet now they're already proclaiming that K's hallmark has always been the up-tempo style? The quote should read like this: "He will fit well in Coach K's style because K can (and will) adapt his style to fit his players."

D.C. Devil
09-30-2010, 10:58 PM

I recently rewatched the 2001 Final Four, and near the end of the Final Nantz said something to the effect of "not Duke's most talented team, but by far their toughest!" I first thought, "wtf? Battier, Boozer, Williams, Dunleavy, Duhon? top 5 are all lottery picks and/or current NBA contributors!" But then I remembered where K had come from in '99 with Brand, Maggette, Avery, Deng, Langon, Battier. Only against THAT squad can you even begin to consider 2001 a diminished group by talent.

Until now.

jimsumner
09-30-2010, 11:01 PM
I recently rewatched the 2001 Final Four, and near the end of the Final Nantz said something to the effect of "not Duke's most talented team, but by far their toughest!" I first thought, "wtf? Battier, Boozer, Williams, Dunleavy, Duhon? top 5 are all lottery picks and/or current NBA contributors!" But then I remembered where K had come from in '99 with Brand, Maggette, Avery, Deng, Langon, Battier. Only against THAT squad can you even begin to consider 2001 a diminished group by talent.

Until now.

You might want to revisit that '99 lineup.

D.C. Devil
09-30-2010, 11:10 PM
You might want to revisit that '99 lineup.

yah . . . my bad with Deng. I think the point still stands. K used to be Dr. Nasty with recruiting classes, and now he's back again.

jipops
09-30-2010, 11:12 PM
If there are any PTI watchers out there, Wilbon had some very glowing and favorable comments about Duke's program. He ripped into Duke hate a little bit stating that people just don't like clean-cut smart kids who behave themselves and play good basketball. There may be more to it than that but it certainly was nice to hear. This all of course related to the Rivers commit where Duke has added yet another former nba player or nba coach's son.

papa whiskey
09-30-2010, 11:19 PM

airowe, I don't claim to be 1/10 the expert on basketball that you have proven to be. However, if you look at most available media, (ESPN, SI, etc), it would seem that a lockout has gone from likely to almost certain.

airowe
09-30-2010, 11:35 PM
airowe, I don't claim to be 1/10 the expert on basketball that you have proven to be. However, if you look at most available media, (ESPN, SI, etc), it would seem that a lockout has gone from likely to almost certain.

I'm not an expert on basketball by any means, just obsessed with it!

I would hope a lockout doesn't occur, because for every Kyrie Irving that would stay in college, there are countless other former Duke NBA players that I love just as much or more that would be out of work. I tend to think that the government wouldn't let a lockout happen, but I certainly don't know very much about the situation, so there is certainly a possibility.

Even if a lockout does occur, the draft will more than likely still happen...

chrisheery
09-30-2010, 11:44 PM
yea i could see it but the only problem is all 3 of those guards are considered pgs who play best with the ball in their own hands so how well will that work. And heres a real dillema for everyone: Imagine you are the Coach with that lineup down 2 with three seconds left. OK so who inbounds it and who gets ball if your set play gets who you want open to recieve the inbounds pass? O and you have already gotten past halfcourt btw.

If you have that lineup, how often will you be losing with 2-3 seconds left?

DevilHorns
09-30-2010, 11:46 PM

I really hope a lockout doesn't occur. I wouldn't want Nolan and Kyle in the position of having to play in Europe for a year.

09-30-2010, 11:50 PM
If you have that lineup, how often will you be losing with 2-3 seconds left?

It happens. UNC took Kentucky to the wire last year. Kansas lost when ppl did not think they would. Same goes for other teams as well. Love your confidence in the team though. But we dont know what the leadership will look like that season or our chemistry. It changes every year. Mayb we have a bad shooting night or the other team has a good one (ala G'town game)

chrisheery
09-30-2010, 11:50 PM
If I were Kyle or Nolan, being college educated kids with a broader view of the world, I would jump at a chance to play in Europe risk free for a year. It would be awesome.

Personally, I think the NBA has changed the rules of basketball to showcase highlight reel plays by allowing one on one play. I think it cheapens the game and destroys the spirit of playing 5 players as 1 team. This has been the challenge of USA basketball in international competition, and it has taken possibly the greatest college coach ever (except possibly Wooden) to bring players together and play as a team. Playing in Europe may be the highest level of TEAM basketball left.

Plus, you are in Europe and get to see the world (instead of OK City).

chrisheery
09-30-2010, 11:51 PM
It happens. UNC took Kentucky to the wire last year. Kansas lost when ppl did not think they would. Same goes for other teams as well. Love your confidence in the team though. But we dont know what the leadership will look like that season or our chemistry. It changes every year. Mayb we have a bad shooting night or the other team has a good one (ala G'town game)

Right, but you are having to dig in to come up with examples that fit. My point is that it is a great problem to have.

09-30-2010, 11:55 PM
Right, but you are having to dig in to come up with examples that fit. My point is that it is a great problem to have.

I didnt have to dig at all those were just super fast into my mind. If i dug then there are 100's of cases per year. And i agree its a great problem i was just curious on what everyone else would do.

chrisheery
10-01-2010, 12:06 AM
I didnt have to dig at all those were just super fast into my mind. If i dug then there are 100's of cases per year. And i agree its a great problem i was just curious on what everyone else would do.

Please name 10 more situations where there was even a team that loaded at guard. There simply aren't any teams as talented as that in last years college basketball landscape. Sorry, but we are going to just have to agree to disagree if you think there are 100s of cases of a team THAT talented being down 2-3 at the end of a game each year. There aren't even 2 teams per year that talented at guard in the country in a given year. I can only think of 2-3 teams in the last 10 years that talented at guard at all.

10-01-2010, 12:13 AM
Please name 10 more situations where there was even a team that loaded at guard. There simply aren't any teams as talented as that in last years college basketball landscape. Sorry, but we are going to just have to agree to disagree if you think there are 100s of cases of a team THAT talented being down 2-3 at the end of a game each year. There aren't even 2 teams per year that talented at guard in the country in a given year. I can only think of 2-3 teams in the last 10 years that talented at guard at all.

Well there is the problem. Your comparing teams to that loaded Duke one. Im comparing relative situations. Say my Kansas example for instance Kansas was loaded compared to Northern Iowa but Northern came out on top or UNC and CoC when CoC won

chrisheery
10-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Right, but that was not the supposition upon which I based my comment.

10-01-2010, 12:22 AM
Right, but that was not the supposition upon which I based my comment.

Yes I didnt realize we were comparing two different things; that is my fault. But still no team is invincible and can lose even one that loaded could potentially lose. Other factors come into play besides talent: lack of depth due to injuries, lack of leadership, chemistry issues, bad shooting night, other team is hot shooting, young starters struggle on D, etc...

Kedsy
10-01-2010, 12:37 AM
I tend to think that the government wouldn't let a lockout happen, but I certainly don't know very much about the situation, so there is certainly a possibility.

Even if a lockout does occur, the draft will more than likely still happen...

Why do you think the government would step in? It certainly did nothing of the kind during the many work stoppages in all the major sports in the past, including the last few NBA lockouts.

The key is not whether there is a draft, but whether the players drafted would be paid during the lockout. If I'm Kyrie, looking at being a top 5 pick in 2011 but not being paid for a significant percentage of the year, or alternatively being big man on campus for another year and then being a top 5 pick in 2012, I don't know what I would do.

Edouble
10-01-2010, 01:20 AM
Why do you think the government would step in?

Because now we have a President who is a hoops nut? ;)

richardjackson199
10-01-2010, 02:00 AM
I am thrilled Austin made the right choice, and know it will be a win-win situation for him and Duke. ;) (Or win-win x 40). I can't wait to cheer him on to victory! Many articles have referenced Kyrie's commitment as a turning point for Duke recruiting in the restoration of order. (It was huge and I can't wait to cheer him on.) But in my opinion, K and staff recently accomplished an even bigger "recruiting" coup to establish this momentum. I believe order was restored and Duke retook the college basketball throne with the "recruitment" of Kyle and Nolan for their 4th year. Starting out the year, those in the know thought Kyle was gone. Then he wins the NC, wins MOP of the Final 4, is a certain first-round draft pick, and yet loves Duke so much he wants to return for his senior year. Kyle and Nolan are huge reasons why we are #1 and the favorite to repeat this year. Their statement shows Austin and the best recruits why playing in a Duke uniform for Coach K is the best possible decision. It is a great day to be a Duke fan. Our players - Kyle, Nolan, Zoubek, Lance, Scheyer, Kyrie, Austin, MP's, etc. ALWAYS represent Duke with class as winners. They never embarrass us. Our recruits don't arrogantly commit by skyping about their "legacy" from the harry barn. We never have to read stuff like the Tony Woods thing about Duke players. Our coaches win by showing the epitome of class. We never have to worry about Coach K saying ridiculously stupid things like Roy's quotes to his massage therapist. We never see K having meltdowns on the sideline like 'ol Roy when things aren't going well. I am so proud to call Duke my alma mater. Thank you Austin. This is going to be a fun season - let the good times roll..

Poincaré
10-01-2010, 02:28 AM
Austin Rivers, he's the maaaaaaaan---for you!

I am positively giddy.

Dev11
10-01-2010, 08:11 AM
Did anybody else notice this in the recent GoDuke article about Josh Hairston?

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205001799

Austin is making a little cameo in the picture, on the right side. Not particularly fascinating since we knew they were both on that USA team, but it makes that article ring a little truer, and its always great to see our guys in the red, white and blue together. Duke fans have a lot to be proud of in USA basketball. from coaches to current seniors down to recruits.

Bonus:

http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/u18/

No need to hide back there Austin, go ahead and smile! You're a Blue Devil!

sdotbarbee
10-01-2010, 08:45 AM

Rivers would start over Bullock and Hairston is 6'4" 230 pounds so I think he will play the 3 more than the 2. We will have Curry, Dawkins to play the 2 and Gbinije is like Hairston who can play the 2 or 3. I just think it is unfair to say that he is a "luxury" for unc and a "need" for Duke, AR is a "need" for any school.

airowe
10-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Rivers would start over Bullock and Hairston is 6'4" 230 pounds so I think he will play the 3 more than the 2. We will have Curry, Dawkins to play the 2 and Gbinije is like Hairston who can play the 2 or 3. I just think it is unfair to say that he is a "luxury" for unc and a "need" for Duke, AR is a "need" for any school.

I think you have everyone else right, but I don't see any way Josh Hairston ever plays shooting guard for Duke unless there are UNC-Cheat like suspensions and we only have 5 players to field a team.

Dev11
10-01-2010, 09:13 AM
I think you have everyone else right, but I don't see any way Josh Hairston ever plays shooting guard for Duke unless there are UNC-Cheat like suspensions and we only have 5 players to field a team.

I think we're confusing our Hairstons. Josh is not ever playing the 2, but PJ is a 2/3, like Gbinije.

MChambers
10-01-2010, 09:14 AM

Think he meant PJ Hairston.

sdotbarbee
10-01-2010, 09:49 AM

I was talking about PJ, Josh is only 210 pounds compared to PJ at 230. PJ is listed as a 2 but his body is more of a 3, at least weight wise.

airowe
10-01-2010, 10:38 AM
I was talking about PJ, Josh is only 210 pounds compared to PJ at 230. PJ is listed as a 2 but his body is more of a 3, at least weight wise.

My bad. I'm good for a brain fart like that every 6 months or so. One of PJ's AAU coaches recently told me he will mostly play the 3 at UNC, with a little 2 mixed in if needed so you're right.

As an aside, if the carolina coaching staff is telling him that, what does that tell you about their feelings for Barnes staying an extra year?

sagegrouse
10-01-2010, 10:43 AM
I would hope a lockout doesn't occur, because for every Kyrie Irving that would stay in college, there are countless other former Duke NBA players that I love just as much or more that would be out of work. I tend to think that the government wouldn't let a lockout happen, but I certainly don't know very much about the situation, so there is certainly a possibility.

Duh govinmint, espeshally the White House of either purty, ain't gonna get in the middul of a food fight between millionaire playaz, who are seen as undeserving and out of control (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professional_sportspeople_convicted_of_cri mes), and billionaire ownaz, many of whum are totully hated by the public. Nice couple thar running the Lakers. Dan Gilbert and Mark Cuban, the salt of the earth, ain't they. Great PR LeBron -- so smart to get the Maf-i-a to give you a good image. Thar ain't gonna be no winning politicks in the NBA. The excepshun is the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service (http://www.fmcs.gov/internet/), which is alwuz available to help med-i-ate labor-management disputes, which it has dun in the past for baseball and mebbe the NFL.

sagegrouse
'Standard English is easier'

sdotbarbee
10-01-2010, 11:28 AM
My bad. I'm good for a brain fart like that every 6 months or so. One of PJ's AAU coaches recently told me he will mostly play the 3 at UNC, with a little 2 mixed in if needed so you're right.

As an aside, if the carolina coaching staff is telling him that, what does that tell you about their feelings for Barnes staying an extra year?

No problem, I could have been a little more clear. Yeah PJ is a little short to play the 3 but I think he is more suited for that position. I agree with you whole heartedly that Barnes is gone after his first year. These unc fans that are buying that he wants to play there 3 years have lost their minds. They are probably the same ones that thought they had a chance at AR.

Cockabeau
10-01-2010, 11:35 AM
There is no way PJ can guard Austin. He tried it on some aau event last year and got totally embarrassed.

MisterRoddy
10-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Read the info yesterday but didn't have time to sign on.

Welcome Aboard Austin!! I litteraly yelled in happiness when I first read.

Great Addition by K and the staff. Now let's work on Cook and the 2012 class.

Channing
10-01-2010, 01:30 PM
this may have been mentioned (I haven't had time to read the 11 pages of comments), but it was nice to see an elite recruit make his decision in a timely manner, not string along other teams (e.g. by going on visits to UNC and KU when he already made up his mind), and announce without the fanfare of a huge production.

juise
10-01-2010, 02:27 PM
ESPNU interview here (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5636226).

snowdenscold
10-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Interesting, he called Collins before K to let Duke know. Works for me!

Bluedog
10-01-2010, 02:40 PM

I think Collins was the major recruiter for Austin. Didn't he watch him just a couple of days before? Was Coach K there too?

DukeSean
10-01-2010, 03:12 PM

Maybe it's just the way I hold K in reverence, but maybe that's the proper humility with which one ought to approach one of the greatest basketball coaches of all time. Even if AR has a great relationship with K, it's almost like you don't really have the right to just call him up on his cell phone at night. But the guy who has been recruiting you, talking to you constantly, he wants to be in constant communication and has given you that right, so to speak.

slower
10-01-2010, 04:26 PM
I recently rewatched the 2001 Final Four, and near the end of the Final Nantz said something to the effect of "not Duke's most talented team, but by far their toughest!" I first thought, "wtf?

That's my first thought EVERY time Jim Nantz says anything basketball-related. He is a chimp with a comb-over.

cbnaylor
10-01-2010, 04:39 PM
ESPNU interview here (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5636226).

Thanks for the clip. Rivers said "We are going to be one hell of a team!" I was thinking after he said this yes! He has a little of Mr. 32 in him which is nice to have a cocky player once in a while. It's good for the team if they know how to use it in the right way.

Go Duke

ACCBBallFan
10-01-2010, 04:50 PM

No if Andre picks up his defense, the guards would never get the ball past the defensive pressure.

Tyler Thornton, Myck Kabongo, Dre/Mike Gbinije, Josh Hairston and Ryan Kelly would give them a game with Marhsall Plumlee and Tyler Adams ready to help out on the elder Plumlees.

miramar
10-01-2010, 05:14 PM
this may have been mentioned (I haven't had time to read the 11 pages of comments), but it was nice to see an elite recruit make his decision in a timely manner, not string along other teams (e.g. by going on visits to UNC and KU when he already made up his mind), and announce without the fanfare of a huge production.

I'm also glad he chose Twitter over Skype (unlike some people).

CameronBornAndBred
10-01-2010, 05:35 PM
I haven't posted since I'm still fighting with my emotions. On the one hand, I'm no fan (as I've stated in the past) of a stated one and doner coming in. I struggle with the idea of getting behind a guy that I know up front I will only be supporting for one year. On the other hand, I've got to be supportive of the program showing continuity by landing yet another top rated recruit. That is a no brainer, it's awesome to see us continue to land these kids and disprove the myth that Duke's recruiting has declined for any number of reasons that we've heard.
Like it or not, until the NCAA and NBA change their ways, this will probably be the working model for college basketball for the future, and if Duke wants to stay at the top of the game, Duke has to play the game. I'm not thrilled, but I'll learn to accept it.
Right smack in the middle of the two hands is the fact that no matter who is playing for us, no matter who is coaching for us, no matter our success or failures...I will always be a die hard supporter of the TEAM...of which Austin Rivers will be a member of.
Since no one person defines a team, as last year so awesomely proved, I say welcome to Duke A.R.. Pull up a chair and stay a while. GO DUKE!!!

oldnavy
10-01-2010, 05:43 PM
I haven't posted since I'm still fighting with my emotions. On the one hand, I'm no fan (as I've stated in the past) of a stated one and doner coming in. I struggle with the idea of getting behind a guy that I know up front I will only be supporting for one year. On the other hand, I've got to be supportive of the program showing continuity by landing yet another top rated recruit. That is a no brainer, it's awesome to see us continue to land these kids and disprove the myth that Duke's recruiting has declined for any number of reasons that we've heard.
Like it or not, until the NCAA and NBA change their ways, this will probably be the working model for college basketball for the future, and if Duke wants to stay at the top of the game, Duke has to play the game. I'm not thrilled, but I'll learn to accept it.
Right smack in the middle of the two hands is the fact that no matter who is playing for us, no matter who is coaching for us, no matter our success or failures...I will always be a die hard supporter of the TEAM...of which Austin Rivers will be a member of.
Since no one person defines a team, as last year so awesomely proved, I say welcome to Duke A.R.. Pull up a chair and stay a while. GO DUKE!!!

Dude, I feel your pain. Times, they are a changing!! I would love for all the players to be four year players, but they are not, so we have to adapt. Hard for this old dog to learn the new tricks, but I will get used to it. I will just enjoy the time we do have with AR and any others that come and go too quick for my taste! GO DUKE!!

SilkyJ
10-01-2010, 05:57 PM

Dude, I feel your pain. Times, they are a changing!! I would love for all the players to be four year players, but they are not, so we have to adapt. Hard for this old dog to learn the new tricks, but I will get used to it. I will just enjoy the time we do have with AR and any others that come and go too quick for my taste! GO DUKE!!

Third-ed. I don't love the landscape, but we have to adapt to it and we are.

I believe I said in the Quinn Cook thread that I think the best formula for us is to recruit select OADs while focusing most of our attention on other highly-rated prospects that are more likely 2-4 year types.

I also said that the #1 most important thing to remember is that the guy driving the bus has 4 rings, so let's trust that he knows where he's going. In K we trust.

juise
10-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Let's also remember that Duke's last two one-and-done players, Corey and Luol, were both on Final Four teams that probably shouldn't have lost to UCon(n). Yes, that was before the NBA draft rules changed, but those were still very good Duke teams that were also lead by upperclassmen. Most of us consider Corey and Luol to be full-fledged members of the Duke family and, by all accounts, they still have good relationships with the program.

Class of '94
10-01-2010, 07:01 PM
No if Andre picks up his defense, the guards would never get the ball past the defensive pressure.

Tyler Thornton, Myck Kabongo, Dre/Mike Gbinije, Josh Hairston and Ryan Kelly would give them a game with Marhsall Plumlee and Tyler Adams ready to help out on the elder Plumlees.

Not to single you out, but you're the second or third person that's mentioned the possibility of Kabongo being with Duke in either this thread or another; yet, Kabongo is committed to Texas. Am I missing something or is there a real possibility of Kabongo joining Austin at Duke?

yancem
10-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Not to single you out, but you're the second or third person that's mentioned the possibility of Kabongo being with Duke in either this thread or another; yet, Kabongo is committed to Texas. Am I missing something or is there a real possibility of Kabongo joining Austin at Duke?

There have been a lot of rumors the past couple of months that Kabongo might de-commit from Texas and that he is really good friends with Rivers. At first the rumors seemed fairly possible but the longer he stays committed to Texas the less likely they become. If there is any truth to the rumors there should be a lot of chatter real soon now that Rivers has committed. Otherwise we will stay concentrated on Cook.

On another note, how old is Rivers' younger brother? Anyone know anything about him?

thenameisbond
10-01-2010, 09:03 PM
There have been a lot of rumors the past couple of months that Kabongo might de-commit from Texas and that he is really good friends with Rivers. At first the rumors seemed fairly possible but the longer he stays committed to Texas the less likely they become. If there is any truth to the rumors there should be a lot of chatter real soon now that Rivers has committed. Otherwise we will stay concentrated on Cook.

On another note, how old is Rivers' younger brother? Anyone know anything about him?

Myck and Austin are good friends, so I'm sure they've talked. Austin's little brother is still in junior high, but he attends Austin's AAU games and the coach even lets him suit up occasionally. Given his pedigree, it's reasonable to conclude that he will follow in the footsteps of his brother.

CameronBornAndBred
10-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Given his pedigree, it's reasonable to conclude that he will follow in the footsteps of his brother.
Committing to Florida? http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/4.gif (http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/posting.php?mode=post&f=3#)http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/24.gif (http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/posting.php?mode=post&f=3#)http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/24.gif (http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/posting.php?mode=post&f=3#)http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/duke_bluedevil.gif (http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/posting.php?mode=post&f=3#)

MarkD83
10-01-2010, 09:31 PM

I have come to live with players that leave early by thinking of two players: Dahntay Jones and Roshown McLeod. They played only two years at Duke because they transfered in, but that does not make them any less a part of the Duke family.

CameronBornAndBred
10-01-2010, 09:58 PM
I have come to live with players that leave early by thinking of two players: Dahntay Jones and Roshown McLeod. They played only two years at Duke because they transfered in, but that does not make them any less a part of the Duke family.
I know where you are coming from but there is a huge difference. They came in as transfers, so really they were 3 year Dukies. That first year they can go share stories with Seth Curry about. They had no preconcieved conceptions about leaving for the NBA once they cleared that transfer year either. Dahntay and Roshown paid their dues in Cameron before they ever played a public game. I remember asking my dad about both as they sat on the end of the bench in suits (different years..I always ask about the guys in suits). Especially for Dahntay his answer was "that's the most athletic guy on the team". That athlete looked good in his tie, but he looked way better once he hit the court a year later.

juise
10-01-2010, 10:00 PM

Not to mention that Dahntay and Seth both worked their butts off in practice for a year to help their teams win NCAA titles. It's not often that All-American caliber players like J-Will, Duhon, Nolan, and Scheyer get that kind of a challenge from the practice squad. Transfers doing that kind of unheralded work really endears them to me.

Similarly, I have no doubt that the guards on the 2011-2012 squad will benefit from having to defend Austin for 6+ months.

MarkD83
10-01-2010, 10:28 PM
I know where you are coming from but there is a huge difference. They came in as transfers, so really they were 3 year Dukies. That first year they can go share stories with Seth Curry about. They had no preconcieved conceptions about leaving for the NBA once they cleared that transfer year either. Dahntay and Roshown paid their dues in Cameron before they ever played a public game. I remember asking my dad about both as they sat on the end of the bench in suits (different years..I always ask about the guys in suits). Especially for Dahntay his answer was "that's the most athletic guy on the team". That athlete looked good in his tie, but he looked way better once he hit the court a year later.

I know there is a difference, this is just how I have come to live with the fact that players leave early.

MarkD83
10-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Lets move back to the positive perspective.

We don't live in the past. We don't live in the future. We live in the now. Right now Duke's 2011 recruiting class looks great. Right now Duke's 2010-11 team looks great. I plan to enjoy the present.

SilkyJ
10-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Am I missing something or is there a real possibility of Kabongo joining Austin at Duke?

The below should tell you everything you need to know I (same question was addressed in the Quinn Cook thread, here (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?22041-Quinn-Cook-Recruiting-Thread&p=435441#post435441))

Quinn Cook has an unconditional scholarship offer.

Kabongo should be a very good player for Texas.

Class of '94
10-02-2010, 12:23 AM
The below should tell you everything you need to know I (same question was addressed in the Quinn Cook thread, here (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?22041-Quinn-Cook-Recruiting-Thread&p=435441#post435441))

Got it.....Thanks SilkyJ and JimSumner

ACCBBallFan
10-02-2010, 01:16 AM
http://www.highschoolhoop.com/hsh-diary/2010/10/austin-rivers-diary-the-duke-decision/

roywhite
10-02-2010, 01:20 AM
http://www.highschoolhoop.com/hsh-diary/2010/10/austin-rivers-diary-the-duke-decision/

Thanks for the post.

It's all good; I especially enjoyed this comment:

I know a lot of people were mad, especially Carolina fans, because they wanted me to go to their school, but I’m not going places that people want me to go. I got a lot of messages from people with “Carolina” on their screen names just talking a lot of junk. That didn’t really bother me. I was always gonna go where it was best for me. Those people don’t know what they’re talking about anyway. This was the process that I had to go through to make the right decision for me.

Welcome, Austin.

10-02-2010, 01:57 AM

"Quinn Cook is my man too. He’s a real good guy and I love playing with him, but I don’t even think that I need to recruit him. I think there’s a good chance of him coming with us"

I like he says he is gonna help try and get Alex Murphy and Shabazz.

Poincaré
10-02-2010, 02:09 AM
Must...stop...watching...Austin...Rivers...highlig hts. HELP.

Starter
10-02-2010, 02:24 AM
Don't get it twisted, I loved how this year's championship team came together, that in a landscape where nobody stays in school very long, Scheyer, Zoubek and the rest melded their talents together to become a championship team. It was wonderful to watch unfold, and it validated Krzyzewski's methodologies as remaining more than applicable in today's instant-gratification climate.

But I see no need to be ambivalent over Duke's verbal from Rivers, a player with the skills and mentality to go pro after one year.

Rivers, from all accounts, seems like a "Duke kid" -- well spoken, thoughtful, with a terrific upbringing. And where I think he helps this team, besides his ridiculous skill level -- watch his Youtube clips. SMH -- is perception. The reason Barnes spurning us last year irritated me so much is that at the time, it really seemed as if Duke no longer had that buzz and cool factor that would attract truly elite talent (Kyrie Irving notwithstanding, but he was a Duke kid through and through). Not to mention, UNC had just won a national title and stolen our top recruit, and Duke was fresh off getting beaten thoroughly by Villanova in the NCAA's in a definitive contrast of styles. But an incredible national title run, another Team USA gold medal and a Rivers commitment later, and you're looking at one last full-fledged renaissance for Krzyzewski.

Just witnessing Rivers working his magic in a Duke uniform will make other elite talents want to follow in his footsteps, much as it was for Jason Williams and J.J. Redick. You saw that diary entry, he wants to work on guys like Shabazz Muhammad and Alex Murphy to come to Duke, and who's to say his coming to Duke won't have an effect?

Krzyzewski is still going to get his guys, the building block types like Gbinije and Marshall Plumlee that will develop more slowly and eventually become invaluable players on championship teams. But I, for one, can't wait to watch Rivers on the court -- on OUR court -- doing amazing things in blue and white. And even if it's only for one year, I still don't see a single negative about the situation, but I see a whole lot of positives.

Dukeface88
10-02-2010, 02:28 AM
On the subject of one and done's:

"Do not lament that the rosebush has thorns; rather rejoice that the thornbush bears roses."

Rather than bemoan player that are here for one year instead of four, be glad that they'll be here one year instead of none.

On a less philosophical note, I'm fine with guys who leave early if they treat their time at Duke seriously, not just as a way to build hype for the NBA. I trust K to find those players, and by all accounts Irving and Rivers fit. As long as we aren't recruiting an entirely new team every year cough-Kentucky-ahem, I think we'll be okay.