PDA

View Full Version : Dukies in the NBA 2010-2011

Pages : [1] 2 3

SilkyJ
09-29-2010, 12:44 PM
With the start of training camp on Monday, now would seem like a good time to start this thread.

Today's DBR Frontpage has this article on McBob (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jEJPAuqo03J8eyCibbKEPep0H8SgD9IH63AO0?docId= D9IH63AO0) and his opportunity to grab a starting spot with the Pacers this year. According to the article he'll be competing with Tyler Hansbrough, Solomon Jones, Jeff Foster and rookie Magnum Rolle for that spot.

The most interesting quote, IMO, was what his coach expects from him:

"I said, you have to be able to run the court on a regular basis, you have to rebound every shot, and when the ball is in your hands as a playmaker, you have to take care of the basketball, do positive things."

O'Brien continued.

"I said, 'What is missing?' He said: 'Shooting.' I said 'That's exactly right. You are not being evaluated by me or my staff on anything other than those three things.'"

I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing for McBob and the Pacers. He may start launching 3s knowing that he's not going to get yanked if he misses.

Anyways, please post anything you find related to training camp news for our Dukies, especially the young ones like Jon & Zoubs!

cbnaylor
09-29-2010, 12:48 PM
I wish nothing but success for all of the Duke players in the NBA but I have a hard time rooting for McRoberts to succeed. I guess I'm still bitter by his attitude while at Duke. Moving on though, I'm looking forward to see what Boozer has up his sleeve in Chicago. This should make this squad dangerous.

Billy Dat
09-29-2010, 01:55 PM
My take on that O'Brien quote was that McRoberts should not be shooting, period, beyond the normal flow of the offense and any garbage points/putbacks he can manage.

JasonEvans
09-29-2010, 02:06 PM
My take on that O'Brien quote was that McRoberts should not be shooting, period, beyond the normal flow of the offense and any garbage points/putbacks he can manage.

Exactly, 'we want you to be a rebounder, energy, passer on the team" does not mean you can also put up endless bad shots.

-Jason "Josh made $825k last year but should be up to about a million this year -- if he starts for the Pacers, he could parlay that into a 3 or 4 year deal at about 2 mill per season" Evans

CameronBornAndBred
09-29-2010, 06:31 PM
Exactly, 'we want you to be a rebounder, energy, passer on the team" does not mean you can also put up endless bad shots.

I'll be amazed if he listens. McRoberts is convinced that he can and should shoot 3 pointers, he wants to live beyond the arc. He was that way at Duke and has continued to be that way in the pros.

Newton_14
09-29-2010, 07:54 PM

The only problem with that, is O'Brien's comments during a summer league game. I was watching Zoub's and the Net's take on McBob and the Pacers on the NBA channel. McBob was playing the 4 but camped out beyond the arc. He did make several impressive plays but he was also launching 3 after 3. After he was like 1 for 10, O'Brien stopped by and chatted with the tv announcers.

O'Brien was asked about all the 3 launching and he responded that was by design. They wanted McBob taking that shot to "keep the defensive honest". Uh, ok?

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I hope McBob does well but his shot will have to greatly improve to make that plan work out.

phaedrus
09-29-2010, 11:37 PM
I'll be amazed if he listens. McRoberts is convinced that he can and should shoot 3 pointers, he wants to live beyond the arc. He was that way at Duke and has continued to be that way in the pros.

Not true. McRoberts took 36 three-point attempts in 2 seasons at Duke, averaging about one attempt every two games.

He spent some time out beyond the arc, yes, but he that's because he was one of our best playmakers and ballhandlers, not because he was launching triples.

CameronBornAndBred
09-30-2010, 12:23 AM
Not true. McRoberts took 36 three-point attempts in 2 seasons at Duke, averaging about one attempt every two games.

He spent some time out beyond the arc, yes, but he that's because he was one of our best playmakers and ballhandlers, not because he was launching triples.
Check out his pro stats...he's convinced he can make them. I remember watching him outside so often at Duke, it drove me crazy. You are correct about his time at Duke, he didn't shoot that often, but his value was underneath (IMO) and he never saw it that way. From my point of view, he was at odds with the staff on that point of view. I think if he listened to K more, he would been drafted in the first round instead of the second and would have been a better NBA player much sooner.

Richard Berg
09-30-2010, 01:06 AM
Josh's freshman year we had Shelden as our natural center. His sophomore year we had no choice but to slot him as the 5. And he did it. He was clearly uncomfortable, but he managed to put up decent stats nonetheless, and learned to play great defense against opposing bigs. (I'd say he was easily the #2 defender on that team, just behind Markie)

Compare with, say, Mason Plumlee. Loads of innate talent, set back by injury, preferred to create from the outside-in, looked a little lost when forced to bang, committed stupid reach-in fouls whenever he missed an offensive rebound. Does that combo make Mason uncoachable? No, it makes him an underclassman -- in particular, a 6'11" underclassman.

Or take Zoubek. Big physical advantages [of a different sort] over most opponents. Injuries. One of the smartest guys on the team (higher SATs than Paulus, as I recall). Couldn't learn how to keep the ball high to save his life. Was he just being stubborn?

Thankfully, no. I don't like the idea of giving up on a young kid for any reason. With a Coach K recruit, you better show me clear & convincing evidence why I should believe the pessimists' interpretation of the story.

Class of '94
09-30-2010, 04:13 AM
I didn't see this posted anywhere. If it has...Sorry :cool:

Here are a couple of recent links about Grant......Man, at 37 (38 in October) Grant still looks great. One is interview from the Phoenix Suns Training camp and Scott Williams (UNC) is interviewing him. Decent interview but I like how Grant snuck in a final comment before the end of the interview.

The other link is an article from Crazie-talk about Grant being at Duke this past weekend for homecoming; and there is a link on the page to Blue Planet where there are pictures of Grant from the weekend hanging out with students as well as a couple of pictures of him with the current team (minus Singler) that were taken in Cameron.

http://www.nba.com/suns/video/2010/09/30/2010campday2hillwmv-1426810/index.html

http://www.crazie-talk.com/2010/09/27/deviled-eggs-september-27th-2010/

I missed SilkyJ's thread.....Sorry SilkyJ.....Mods please feel free to merge this with Silky's thread since it is related.

pfrduke
09-30-2010, 10:03 AM
Check out his pro stats...he's convinced he can make them. I remember watching him outside so often at Duke, it drove me crazy. You are correct about his time at Duke, he didn't shoot that often, but his value was underneath (IMO) and he never saw it that way. From my point of view, he was at odds with the staff on that point of view. I think if he listened to K more, he would been drafted in the first round instead of the second and would have been a better NBA player much sooner.

Pro stats: 83 NBA games, 34 3pt attempts, only 1 of every 8 shots he takes is a 3. That still may be too much, but that doesn't strike me as someone who wants to live behind the arc.

CameronBornAndBred
09-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Pro stats: 83 NBA games, 34 3pt attempts, only 1 of every 8 shots he takes is a 3. That still may be too much, but that doesn't strike me as someone who wants to live behind the arc.
I'll agree to disagree...but remember he only averaged 10 minutes a game, I would look at it differently if he were out there for longer than a quarter each game. 7% of his attempts were 3 pointers last season. That's not a lot, but out of those 34 attempts, he only hit 8 of them. 8-34 doesn't equal much reason for confidence, but he's convinced he can do it.

BigZ
09-30-2010, 11:26 AM

just think about it this way the more PT he gets the less for Hanstravel.

DukieInBrasil
09-30-2010, 09:55 PM
Check out his pro stats...he's convinced he can make them.
He made 3s at a 35% rate last year, that's actually pretty efficient. Granted he was terrible shooting 3s his first 2 years, he didn't shoot poorly from 3 last year.
Maybe he's convinced he can make them because he can? Just a thought.

hq2
10-02-2010, 12:17 PM
What McBobs really needed then (and now) is a decent mid range game. Usually, most power forwards are going to get good open looks in the 10-15 foot range. Sticking that shot consistently can make a huge difference in how much a player contributes. That was one of Shelden's problems too; I saw him clank a lot of open 15 footers last year. That's what McBobs should be concentrating on, instead of standing out at the arc and pretending to be Rasheed Wallace. He'd be much more of a factor in all aspects of the game if he could do that.

COYS
10-02-2010, 11:37 PM
That's what McBobs should be concentrating on, instead of standing out at the arc and pretending to be Rasheed Wallace. He'd be much more of a factor in all aspects of the game if he could do that.

Of course, Rasheed Wallace would've been even better if he hadn't been standing around the arc acting like Rasheed Wallace ;). Seriously, though, Rasheed would've been a far more efficient player if he limited his three point shots to spot up shots off of kickouts and ball movement. A 6'11 player who only shoots 33% from three shouldn't be taking 3+ 3's per game. He shot really well from midrange throughout his career, he just didn't use that shot as a weapon enough. Considering that McRoberts isn't even as good a shooter as 'Sheed, 'Sheed really is the LAST person McRoberts wants to be compared with right now.

DevilHorns
10-03-2010, 01:02 AM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/ap/6f/fullj.cc064f88edb50b6d820819d5e6f0eb6a/bafef994fb0f41c886ee2ce39d02094d.jpg

Nice read on the Dukeblueplanet blog regarding Carlos (http://blog.dukeblueplanet.com/2010/09/boozer-bullish-on-chicago/).

“I’m looking forward to having a true center,” Boozer said. “I haven’t had that in my career yet and that will help me a lot. A great point guard. [And] a star player in Luol Deng.”

With the core four players in Boozer, Rose, Noah and Deng, plus the additions of a lockdown athletic defender in Ronnie Brewer and sharpshooter Kyle Korver, Chicago’s versatile squad should be able to compete for Eastern Conference supremacy. Although Miami is pegged by many as the favorite in the conference, Boozer is making expectations clear to his teammates.
“You can’t be afraid to play somebody because they have three really good players,” Carlos said. “We’re going to fight, we’re going to attack, we’re going to throw it out there and let’s just see what happens. We’re not just here to win regular-season games and compete in the playoffs. We want to win championships. Look at those banners. That’s what we play for. If we reach our full potential, we’ll put another one up there at some point.”

Dukeface88
10-03-2010, 01:12 AM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/ap/6f/fullj.cc064f88edb50b6d820819d5e6f0eb6a/bafef994fb0f41c886ee2ce39d02094d.jpg

Nice read on the Dukeblueplanet blog regarding Carlos (http://blog.dukeblueplanet.com/2010/09/boozer-bullish-on-chicago/).

“I’m looking forward to having a true center,” Boozer said. “I haven’t had that in my career yet and that will help me a lot. A great point guard. [And] a star player in Luol Deng.”

With the core four players in Boozer, Rose, Noah and Deng, plus the additions of a lockdown athletic defender in Ronnie Brewer and sharpshooter Kyle Korver, Chicago’s versatile squad should be able to compete for Eastern Conference supremacy. Although Miami is pegged by many as the favorite in the conference, Boozer is making expectations clear to his teammates.
“You can’t be afraid to play somebody because they have three really good players,” Carlos said. “We’re going to fight, we’re going to attack, we’re going to throw it out there and let’s just see what happens. We’re not just here to win regular-season games and compete in the playoffs. We want to win championships. Look at those banners. That’s what we play for. If we reach our full potential, we’ll put another one up there at some point.”

Pity that the Magic retained JJ instead of letting hm go to Chicago. It would have been fun to see 3 Duke alums playing on a possible title contender (and should have killed the "K doesn't develop NBA players" nonsense).

basket1544
10-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Pity that the Magic retained JJ instead of letting hm go to Chicago. It would have been fun to see 3 Duke alums playing on a possible title contender (and should have killed the "K doesn't develop NBA players" nonsense).

Yeah, and I wouldn't have the pain of rooting for both Chicago and Orlando. When they play each other this year, I think I'm rooting for a tie. Of course, Duhon had already made his way to Orlando so I probably still would have had a hard time with it.

theAlaskanBear
10-03-2010, 09:58 AM

I actually think the Bulls had one of the smartest off-seasons in the NBA. Obviously Miami gets credit for pulling of The Scenario, but I really like where the Bulls are going. Brewer wasn't the first option, but he's a good defender. Redick would have given them more versatility, but Brewer is a stout plan-B.

Now they have Korver to stretch the floor for their slashers, he can play SG or SF depending on the matchups. Brewer is not a good shooter, so that is where Redick really hurt them...I think you will see a trade at some point in the season for SG type character...although don't sleep on CJ Watson -- he had a very intriguing year last season...showed some flashes of talent.

The real question about the Bulls center around the Coach....I hope he fares well, but rookie seasons have been known to be bumpy affairs.

JasonEvans
10-07-2010, 08:43 AM
Good night of preseason for McJosh last night.

He started and played 24 minutes. Scored 14 points on 6-8 shooting and 2-4 3FG. He had 7 rebounds and 4 assists but also had 4 turnovers. He had 2 steals and he blocked a shot.

--Jason "play like that, and he will be the starter for sure" Evans

flyingdutchdevil
10-07-2010, 10:09 AM
Good night of preseason for McJosh last night.

He started and played 24 minutes. Scored 14 points on 6-8 shooting and 2-4 3FG. He had 7 rebounds and 4 assists but also had 4 turnovers. He had 2 steals and he blocked a shot.

--Jason "play like that, and he will be the starter for sure" Evans

I have, and will always be, a big McBob fan. I think he gets a bad rap because of his on-the-court body language (which, to be fair, was terrible) and the fact that he "led" Duke to one of our worst seasons in the K era. However, without McBob, we wouldn't have made the tourney that year. He was a versatile player that played first banana when he was clearly a second (or even third) banana player.

I really like his game. He reminds me of Theo Ratliff (minus the crazy shot-blocking abilities).

NSDukeFan
10-07-2010, 01:14 PM
I have, and will always be, a big McBob fan. I think he gets a bad rap because of his on-the-court body language (which, to be fair, was terrible) and the fact that he "led" Duke to one of our worst seasons in the K era. However, without McBob, we wouldn't have made the tourney that year. He was a versatile player that played first banana when he was clearly a second (or even third) banana player.

I really like his game. He reminds me of Theo Ratliff (minus the crazy shot-blocking abilities).

What part of Theo Ratliff's game do you really like besides his shot-blocking abilities?

flyingdutchdevil
10-07-2010, 01:44 PM
What part of Theo Ratliff's game do you really like besides his shot-blocking abilities?

You kiddin me? Before theo's contract became a joke, he was a hard working defensive player with an opportunistic offensive game. Mcbob could be exactly that, except with better rebounding numbers.

NSDukeFan
10-07-2010, 01:53 PM
You kiddin me? Before theo's contract became a joke, he was a hard working defensive player with an opportunistic offensive game. Mcbob could be exactly that, except with better rebounding numbers.

Unfortunately, there must not have been many opportunities in the last few years.

juise
10-09-2010, 01:45 AM
It's preseason, but Shelden had 21 and 14 (http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=301008007) tonight in the Nuggets win over Portland.

Elliot Williams didn't shoot terribly well for Portland, but he did some other things to fill up the box score.

CameronBornAndBred
10-09-2010, 09:12 AM
It's preseason, but Shelden had 21 and 14 (http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=301008007) tonight in the Nuggets win over Portland.

Elliot Williams didn't shoot terribly well for Portland, but he did some other things to fill up the box score.
Wow...and how about Shelden only fouling twice in 35 minutes? Too bad he turned it over 4 times, but those are the most impressive NBA numbers I think I've ever seen from him.
What happened to Harrington...he started but only played 1 minute. Injury? Is that why Shelden saw so much court time?

Indoor66
10-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Did you notice in the box score that Eric Boatang got 15 minutes for Denver? I didn't realize he was that close to the league. I wish him well.

RoyalBlue08
10-09-2010, 09:50 AM

this got me wondering about something.... When Duke is touting the number of players it has in the NBA, or salaries, or whatever; will they include Elliot in these numbers? I guess my question is in Elliot officially a "Dukie in the NBA". (In my heart, he certainly is....I don't fault him at all in his decision to go play close to home for a year.)

Jderf
10-09-2010, 09:53 AM
this got me wondering about something.... When Duke is touting the number of players it has in the NBA, or salaries, or whatever; will they include Elliot in these numbers? I guess my question is in Elliot officially a "Dukie in the NBA". (In my heart, he certainly is....I don't fault him at all in his decision to go play close to home for a year.)

I don't see why he wouldn't be part of the family. He left the university in good standing, gave us a great freshman year, and represented Duke and our values well. I think a lot of people were sad to see him go, and not just because we were thin at guard. He'll always be a Blue Devil in my book.

CameronBornAndBred
10-09-2010, 10:16 AM
I don't see why he wouldn't be part of the family. He left the university in good standing, gave us a great freshman year, and represented Duke and our values well. I think a lot of people were sad to see him go, and not just because we were thin at guard. He'll always be a Blue Devil in my book.
Yup, and he wasn't at Memphis any longer than he was at Duke.

CameronBornAndBred
10-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Wow...and how about Shelden only fouling twice in 35 minutes? Too bad he turned it over 4 times, but those are the most impressive NBA numbers I think I've ever seen from him.
What happened to Harrington...he started but only played 1 minute. Injury? Is that why Shelden saw so much court time?

Found answer to my own question. Bad for Harrington, but this could be good for Williams.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5664364

He was helped off the court favoring the left foot and immediately taken to the locker room.
Team officials said he would not return and his status was day to day.

sagegrouse
10-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Twenty-one points and 14 rebounds last night (http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=301008007), although the AP (http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=301008007) misspelled his name.

Also, here (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_16272390) is a Denver Post story that is nothing but positives. The main point is that for the first time in his NBA career, the Nuggets are looking to Shelden for scoring.

sagegrouse

hq2
10-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Yeah, I think Denver could be Shelden's big break; as soon as I found out he was going there, I felt this was his chance. He fits perfectly into the sets they run with K-Mart and Nene, and apparently he's getting confidence back in his shot while playing his usual solid defense. How ironic it would be if both Shelden and Dahntay would be saved by ex-Carolina guy Geoge Karl.

Reilly
10-14-2010, 11:22 AM

In the football program, they list something along the lines of "former Duke players in the NFL" and never list Ben Watson, former NE TE, who had transferred to Georgia. I guess Ben was playing for somebody else and not Duke when he caught that TD against UVa in 1999? Seems football would want to claim any NFL players it could. I'd argue for completeness: both Ben and Elliot are former Duke players playing professionally and should be designated as such.

Dev11
10-14-2010, 01:41 PM
In the football program, they list something along the lines of "former Duke players in the NFL" and never list Ben Watson, former NE TE, who had transferred to Georgia. I guess Ben was playing for somebody else and not Duke when he caught that TD against UVa in 1999? Seems football would want to claim any NFL players it could. I'd argue for completeness: both Ben and Elliot are former Duke players playing professionally and should be designated as such.

I believe Duke, like other schools and the NBA itself, will only recognize those players who went to Duke as their most recent basketball school. See Dahntay Jones's NBA profile: http://www.nba.com/playerfile/dahntay_jones/index.html

No Rutgers to be found. We can talk about Elliot as one of our own, but he won't ever officially be that way.

Reilly
10-14-2010, 02:05 PM
When it comes to football at least, Duke is arguable a bit inconsistent.
see:
http://www.goduke.com//pdf8/705934.pdf?SPSID=22695&SPID=1843&DB_OEM_ID=4200

On p. 107 of the media guide, Ben Patrick is listed as a letter winner.
On p. 109 of the media guide, Ben Watson is listed as a letter winner.
Both TEs named Ben ended up transferring and finishing elsewhere (Delaware; Georgia).
On the players in the NFL page (p. 123), Patrick is listed, Watson is not. Patrick did spend more time at Duke than Watson. For football especially, I'd tout any NFL experience of any former player, even those who transferred. Some might say, well, just shows you need to go elsewhere to get to the pros -- the realy good ones leave. For completeness sake, why not list them? Ben Watson played at Duke, lettered at Duke, caught a TD in a Duke win, and has had a long-ish, productive NFL career. Let's claim him. And claim EWill, too.

MIKESJ73
10-26-2010, 01:23 PM
It's tongue in cheek, but a little out of the "blue".

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?id=5724444

superdave
10-26-2010, 01:44 PM
It's tongue in cheek, but a little out of the "blue".

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?id=5724444

That's cheap heat at the expense of Duke, yet again. We should alert the ombudsman for consistent bias!

gam7
10-27-2010, 05:14 PM
I believe it was in the Austin recruiting thread that I saw some good comparative stats on numbers of players from schools in the league and aggregate salaries. Has anyone done or is anyone doing an analysis of how many Dukies are on opening day NBA rosters and how much those Dukies are making in aggregate, each compared to guys from other schools in the league?

Mods, of course, feel free to change title or fold into another thread if that's what I should have done. Thanks!

Dukeface88
10-27-2010, 08:14 PM
I believe it was in the Austin recruiting thread that I saw some good comparative stats on numbers of players from schools in the league and aggregate salaries. Has anyone done or is anyone doing an analysis of how many Dukies are on opening day NBA rosters and how much those Dukies are making in aggregate, each compared to guys from other schools in the league?

Mods, of course, feel free to change title or fold into another thread if that's what I should have done. Thanks!

DukeBluePlanet (http://blog.dukeblueplanet.com/2010/10/2010-11-nba-devils-preview/) has a list of Duke alums currently in the NBA and their salaries. Not sure how we compare to other schools though. IIRC we had the most NBA players and the highest aggregate salary last year.

Outside of salaries, there's this article (http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2010/10/superstar-u/) arguing we have the most success in the NBA, as well as this blog post (http://sethcurrysavesduke.blogspot.com/2010/04/duke-is-best-team-in-nba.html), although it's a year out of date.

BigZ
10-27-2010, 10:09 PM
watching some of the pacers/spurs game tonight and McRoberts is nasty, hits a 3 on one position than gets a nasty alley and then goes down and stuffs Blair at the rim.

Acymetric
10-27-2010, 11:51 PM
Wow, Shelden went off on the boards for the Nuggets against the Jazz...16 rebounds (7 offensive). His shooting was pretty bad (3-11) but off to a good start in Denver (and starting!)

tommy
10-28-2010, 12:00 AM
watching some of the pacers/spurs game tonight and McRoberts is nasty, hits a 3 on one position than gets a nasty alley and then goes down and stuffs Blair at the rim.

And he started while Hansbrough (is he hurt? box score just said DNP Coach's Decision) got nothing but pine.

loran16
10-28-2010, 12:28 AM
And he started while Hansbrough (is he hurt? box score just said DNP Coach's Decision) got nothing but pine.

I thought Hansbrough was healthy...but he's McBob's only competition for PF. Odd, really.

BigZ
10-28-2010, 01:03 AM
I don't believe Psycho T is hurt, just benched. I knew this years back, Tyler would be the better college player and that Josh would be the better pro. Tyler has more fundamentals and Josh is just a great athelete. I really believe Josh is one of the top 3 in game dunkers in the NBA if he isn't the best.

flyingdutchdevil
10-28-2010, 05:45 AM
I really believe Josh is one of the top 3 in game dunkers in the NBA if he isn't the best.

That's quite a bold statement. JR Smith, Josh Smith, Gerald Wallace, Andre Iguodala - those guys aren't too shabby.

IMO, I don't even think McBob is the best Duke dunker in the NBA. That would have to be either Dahntay or Gerald.

Duke of Nashville
10-28-2010, 09:45 AM
Blake Griffin is looking like he may just take that top spot for best dunker. Although he has not had time to prove himself. Blake has been consistently throwing down and look what Blake has done for Chris Kamen, oh my goodness.

Billy Dat
10-28-2010, 10:11 AM
I am wondering how you guys feel about rooting for rivals that wind up on your NBA team. As a lifelong Knick fan, I have seen a bunch of Tar Heels come through NY in the 20 years since I started at Duke. The most prominent were Hubert Davis who the Knicks drafted and now Ray Felton who is our current point guard. My honest feeling - I love those guys while they play for my team, I was cheering like crazy for Felton last night. It's a strange sensation.

Indoor66
10-28-2010, 11:36 AM
I am wondering how you guys feel about rooting for rivals that wind up on your NBA team. As a lifelong Knick fan, I have seen a bunch of Tar Heels come through NY in the 20 years since I started at Duke. The most prominent were Hubert Davis who the Knicks drafted and now Ray Felton who is our current point guard. My honest feeling - I love those guys while they play for my team, I was cheering like crazy for Felton last night. It's a strange sensation.

Wash your mouth out with soap! See what happens when you watch the NBA? You become a supplicant to the dark side.

jipops
10-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Blake Griffin is looking like he may just take that top spot for best dunker. Although he has not had time to prove himself. Blake has been consistently throwing down and look what Blake has done for Chris Kamen, oh my goodness.

Blake Griffin is a great talent to watch and he's going to get better. Kaman has actually been one of the better centers in the league for the past five years. Skill-wise he is a very solid big man. You just don't hear about him b/c he is on the Clippers. But now with the explosive Griffin next to him you'll probably hear about Kamen more (and yes Griffin will free him up more too). Griffin is a beast and he's more than just a powerful dunker. Last night he showed a spin move, he passes well and rebounds the ball like his life depends on it. I hope more Clippers games are televised b/c watching a team of Griffin, Kaman, and Gordon is a lot of fun.

SilkyJ
10-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Other notables from last night:

Elton had 12, 9 and 3stls, 2 blcks

McBob finished with 11,6 and 2 blocks...Dunleavy had 8 and 7 rebs in the same game

Luol had 13 pts on 5-13 shooting including 1-4 from 3...the last couple of years he has really shied away from the 3 ball -- mainly because he didn't shoot them too well) and instead shot a lot of mid-range J's (last year he shot one 3 per game, and in the previous 2 years he shot one 3 every 4 games). Last year he hit almost 40% of his tries, but 1 per game isn't a whole lot...If he's expanded his range, then maybe he can start shooting them more, but shooting multiple 3s per game did not work well for him earlier in his career

Gerald got 16mins last night hitting a jumper, pulling down 4 boards and getting 2 blocks. Hopefully his PT will increase this year.

Also worth noting that everyone's team except Sheld's lost...

(p.s. I forget who did it last year, but it would be great to have that simple website that auto-pulls from ESPN every night and shows our guys' boxscore. Definitely a great service!)

SilkyJ
10-28-2010, 12:41 PM
Almost forgot! JJ and C-Du make their debut 2010-11 debut tonight! TNT, 8pm eastern.

First time they've been on the same team since 2004 when...well...I don't want to talk about it...

They're taking on John Wall and the Gilbert Arenas show. Should be a good game...and hopefully Gilbert will do something ridiculous

IrishDevil
10-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Almost forgot! JJ and C-Du make their debut 2010-11 debut tonight! TNT, 8pm eastern.

First time they've been on the same team since 2004 when...well...I don't want to talk about it...

They're taking on John Wall and the Gilbert Arenas show. Should be a good game...and hopefully Gilbert will do something ridiculous

I'm looking forward to seeing if JJ can get a few more touches this season, whether its prying the ball from Nelson's reluctant grasp or once again being on the receiving end of a few Du-du-du-duhon passes.

Unless he's wearing a particularly ridiculous argyle sweater on the sideline (as was his wont in years past), I think Arenas' potential for ridiculous behavior will be limited. Or perhaps someone will check his locker?

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2010-10-27/gilbert-arenas-to-miss-at-least-first-two-games-for-wizards

-jk
10-28-2010, 02:07 PM

Wait. You - root - for an nba team? Isn't that antithetical to the nba's cult of the individual, fostered from Bird/Magic, Jordan, and the James presser being merely the latest manifestation of the individual.

Me, I don't have the energy to pull for a college and a pro team, so I just look for our guys to have a good season.

-jk

roywhite
10-28-2010, 02:16 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob_KElHX6Vg

Yep. Nice.

Additionally, I so enjoyed watching Durant and Westbrook this summer with the FIBA team, that I'll try to catch some Ok City Thunder action.

They didn't disappoint last night; Durant had 30 and Westbrook 28 and 10 rebounds. If somebody wants a definition of "athletic" in a basketball sense, they might just post a picture of Westbrook.

moonpie23
10-28-2010, 02:29 PM
does anyone have the link for that site that gives you the last-night results of duke players in the nba?

grad_devil
10-28-2010, 02:30 PM
Other notables from last night:
(p.s. I forget who did it last year, but it would be great to have that simple website that auto-pulls from ESPN every night and shows our guys' boxscore. Definitely a great service!)

I was the one that scripted the devils in the NBA page! You can find it here: http://huckleberry.mhc.edu/devilStats.html

It updates after the games are done every night, not real-time. Bookmark it so you can check out how our Dukies are doing!

--grad_devil

SilkyJ
10-28-2010, 03:09 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing if JJ can get a few more touches this season, whether its prying the ball from Nelson's reluctant grasp or once again being on the receiving end of a few Du-du-du-duhon passes.

Unless he's wearing a particularly ridiculous argyle sweater on the sideline (as was his wont in years past), I think Arenas' potential for ridiculous behavior will be limited. Or perhaps someone will check his locker?

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2010-10-27/gilbert-arenas-to-miss-at-least-first-two-games-for-wizards

Guess we'll have to wait until week 2 for him to do something ridiculous...

I was the one that scripted the devils in the NBA page! You can find it here: http://huckleberry.mhc.edu/devilStats.html

It updates after the games are done every night, not real-time. Bookmark it so you can check out how our Dukies are doing!

--grad_devil

Thanks! A trident for your troubles :)

gam7
10-28-2010, 03:21 PM
I crunched some numbers to see where we stood compared to other schools in terms of numbers of former players on 2010-11 opening day rosters and salaries of those players. Back-up numbers will appear in a post that will follow this post - I got the names and numbers from NBA.com and ESPN.

I limited my number crunching to the 10 college programs with the most former players on NBA rosters. These programs are UCLA, Duke, Kentucky, Carolina, Kansas, UConn, Arizona, Texas, Florida and Wake.

TRIVIA QUESTION (DON'T CHEAT): Every team in the NBA has at least 1 player who came from a school listed in the group of 10 above. But, there are two NBA teams that each have on their opening day rosters only one player who played at one of the ten schools listed above. Can you name those two NBA teams?

Anyway, here are my three big takeaways from this analysis (which are pretty convincing in terms of debunking the Duke doesn't produce NBA talent myth):

1. UCLA has the most former players on opening day rosters with 14. Duke and Kentucky are tied for second with 13 apiece, and Carolina and Kansas are tied for fourth with 12 each.

2. Duke has the highest aggregate salary for its former players at $89.6M. UConn is second at $82.4M (this figure is actually a bit higher but Jeff Adrien's salary with the Golden State Warriors this season has not been made public to my knowledge; regardless, it likely would be less than $1M and would not change the aggregate salary rankings). Arizona is third at $70.1M. Carolina is fourth at $63.9M.

3. UConn's average salary per former player is the highest at $7.5M per player (even without adding in Jeff Adrien's salary). Arizona is second at $7.0M per player (thanks largely to Gilbert Arenas who is set to make about $17.7M this year). Duke comes in third at $6.9M per.

Obviously, schools with a ton of recent NBA draft picks (Carolina and Kentucky come to mind) are going to jump in terms of aggregate salary and probably salary per player when their draft picks get their second contracts.

Anyway, thought this was some interesting stuff. Not sure how the formatting will turn out. If it's messed up and it bothers you, well, whatever. Back-up to follow.

COLLEGE PLAYERS ON NBA ROSTERS, 2010-2011
SUMMARY TABLE

School # Players Aggregate Salary Avg Salary Per Player
UCLA 14 $55,373,733 $3,955,267
Duke 13 $89,553,832 $6,888,756
Kentucky 13 $48,468,155 $3,728,320
UNC 12 $63,868,750 $5,322,396
Kansas 12 $47,771,200 $3,980,933
UCONN 11 $82,390,574 $7,490,052
Arizona 10 $70,116,702 $7,011,670
Texas 10 $39,101,081 $3,910,108
Florida 9 $37,255,214 $4,139,468
Wake 8 $47,820,898 $5,977,612

Edit: Ugh, seeing how this ended up getting formatted, I think I'll just leave off the back-up stats (lists of players at each of these 10 schools, their teams and salaries) unless folks are interested in seeing it. Just let me know.

SilkyJ
10-28-2010, 05:49 PM
^Awesome! Thanks for the work there. Formatting could be better I guess, but it works fine given the amountt of info.

sagegrouse
10-28-2010, 05:51 PM
School

# Players Aggregate Salary Avg Salary Per Player
Ky. 13 $48,468,155 $3,728,320

Edit: Ugh, seeing how this ended up getting formatted, I think I'll just leave off the back-up stats (lists of players at each of these 10 schools, their teams and salaries) unless folks are interested in seeing it. Just let me know.

How's this?? Key is to use code and /code and then Preview Post and make adjustments.

sagegrouse

Acymetric
10-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Big game tonight on TNT...8:00 tip-off for JJ and Duhon with the Magic, up against the Wizards with Arenas and John Wall. Should be a pretty good game!

pfrduke
10-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Big game tonight on TNT...8:00 tip-off for JJ and Duhon with the Magic, up against the Wizards with Arenas and John Wall. Should be a pretty good game!

At least for the Magic. There's a good chance that the Wizards have the inside track to the Harrison Barnes lottery next year.

Son of Mojo
10-28-2010, 10:34 PM
Watching the Magic/former Bullets reminds me of why I dislike nba......it's just not a fun game to watch. Feed the ball in. Feed the ball in. Feed the ball in. Watch Nelson and the half-man/half-retired take shots that they're never shy about taking. It's not helped either when the Magic are still actively not looking to pass to JJ (though he missed at least 2 shots while I've watched that he should hit, he's only gotten 4 attempts). Chris isn't looking too crisp right now either. Hopefully things will improve for both.

moonpie23
10-28-2010, 11:08 PM

--grad_devil

thanks man......it's on my bookmarks bar... ;)

Greg_Newton
10-29-2010, 12:41 AM
Boy, Grant Hill looks great, physically. He just got called for stepping out of bounds, but he kind of casually finished his baseline drive by taking off from outside the lane and throwing it down. He's like Benjamin Button or something.

gam7
10-29-2010, 01:25 AM
How's this?? Key is to use code and /code and then Preview Post and make adjustments.

sagegrouse

Thanks for the reformatting advice, sagegrouse. Below is the back-up to my analysis on my prior post. Kind of fun to take a little trip down recent memory lane with some of these names.

By the way, the answer to the trivia question I posed in my prior post is that the Blazers (LaMarcus Aldridge) and Jazz (Earl Watson) are the two NBA teams with only one player on their opening day rosters who attended one of the NBA's 10 largest feeder schools.

COLLEGE PLAYERS ON NBA ROSTERS, 2010-2011

SUMMARY TABLE

School # Players Aggregate Salary Avg Salary / Player
Ky. 13 $48,468,155 $3,728,320

DUKE
Players Team Salary
Elton Brand Sixers $15,959,099
Carlos Boozer Bulls $14,400,000
Luol Deng Bulls $11,345,000
Mike Dunleavy Pacers $10,561,984
Dahntay Jones Pacers $2,500,000
Josh McRoberts Pacers $885,120
Corey Maggette Bucks $9,600,000
Ger. Henderson Bobcats $2,103,840
Chris Duhon Magic $3,500,000
J.J. Redick Magic $7,250,000
Shane Battier Rockets $7,354,400
Sh. Williams Nuggets $854,389
Grant Hill Suns $3,240,000

TOTAL: $89,553,832

UCLA
Players Team Salary
Jordan Farmar Nets $3,750,000
Jrue Holiday Sixers $1,627,920
Jason Kapono Sixers $6,641,440
Ryan Hollins Cavs $2,333,333
Darren Collison Pacers $1,361,040
Mbah a Moute Bucks $854,389
Trevor Ariza Hornets $6,322,320
Aaron Aflalo Nuggets $1,959,577
Kevin Love Wolves $3,638,280
Ru. Westbrook Thunder $4,017,720
Earl Watson Jazz $854,389
Dan Gadzuric Warr. $7,248,325
Baron Davis Clips $13,000,000
Matt Barnes Lakers $1,765,000

TOTAL: $55,373,733

KENTUCKY
Players Team Salary
Rajon Rondo Celtics $9,090,911
Kelenna Azubuke Knicks $3,300,000
Jodie Meeks Sixers $762,195
Keith Bogans Bulls $1,600,000
Tayshaun Prince Pistons $11,148,760
Nazz Mahammed Bobcats $6,883,800
Jamaal Magloire Heat $854,389
Daniel Orton Magic $1,028,400
John Wall Wizards $5,144,280
Chuck Hayes Rockets $1,972,500
Pat. Patterson Rockets $1,823,280
Eric Bledsoe Clips $1,485,000
DeM. Cousins Kings $3,374,640

TOTAL: $48,468,155

UNC
Players Team Salary
Raymond Felton Knicks $7,000,000
Ed Davis Raptors $1,919,160
Antawn Jamison Cavs $13,358,905
Jawad Williams Cavs $1,029,389
T. Hansbrough Pacers $1,998,600
Marvin Williams Hawks $7,262,500
J. Stackhouse Heat $854,389
Vince Carter Magic $17,522,375
Brendan Heywood Mavs $6,900,000
Ty Lawson Nuggets $1,546,560
Wayne Ellington Wolves $1,078,800
Brandan Wright Warr. $3,398,072

TOTAL: $63,868,750

KANSAS
Players Team Salary
Paul Pierce Celtics $13,876,321
Julian Wright Raptors $2,858,057
Brandon Rush Pacers $2,069,040
Drew Gooden Bucks $5,765,000
Sherron Collins Bobcats $473,604
Mario Chalmers Heat $854,389
Kirk Hinrich Wizards $9,000,000
Darrell Arthur Grizz $1,123,680
Xavier Henry Grizz $2,020,200
Cole Aldrich Thunder $2,126,520
Nick Collison Thunder $6,750,000
Darnell Jackson Kings $854,389

TOTAL: $47,771,200

UCONN
Players Team Salary
Ray Allen Celtics $10,000,000
Ben Gordon Pistons $10,800,000
Rip Hamilton Pistons $12,500,000
Ch. Villanueva Pistons $7,020,000
A.J. Price Pacers $762,195
Hilt. Armstrong Wizards $854,389
Caron Butler Mavs $10,561,960
Rudy Gay Grizz $13,603,750
Hash. Thabeet Grizz $4,793,280
Emeka Okafor Hornets $11,495,000
Jeff Adrien Warriors

TOTAL: $82,390,574

ARIZONA
Players Team Salary
Andre Iguodala Sixers $12,345,250
Mike Bibby Hawks $5,564,767
Gilbert Arenas Wizards $17,730,694
Jason Terry Mavs $9,873,000
Chase Budinger Rockets $780,871
Jordan Hill Rockets $2,669,520
Jerryd Bayless Hornets $2,292,600
Rich. Jefferson Spurs $8,400,000
Luke Walton Lakers $5,260,000
Channing Frye Suns $5,200,000

TOTAL: $70,116,702

TEXAS
Players Team Salary
Avery Bradley Celtics $1,418,160
Damion James Nets $1,156,320
Daniel Gibson Cavs $4,015,334
T.J. Ford Pacers $8,500,000
Maurice Evans Hawks $2,500,000
D.J. Augustin Bobcats $2,540,000
Dexter Pittman Heat $473,604
LaM. Aldridge Blazers $11,244,000
Kevin Durant Thunder $6,053,663
Royal Ivey Thunder $1,200,000

TOTAL: $39,101,081

FLORIDA
Players Team Salary
Marr. Speights Sixers $1,773,960
Joakim Noah Bulls $3,128,536
Al Horford Hawks $5,444,857
Udonis Haslem Heat $3,500,000
Mike Miller Heat $5,000,000
Jason Williams Magic $854,389
Matt Bonner Spurs $3,050,000
Corey Brewer Wolves $3,703,472
David Lee Warr. $10,800,000

TOTAL: $37,255,214

WAKE FOREST
Players Team Salary
Dar. Songaila Sixers $4,818,000
James Johnson Bulls $1,713,600
Jeff Teague Hawks $1,476,840
Josh Howard Wizards $3,000,000
Ish Smith Rockets $473,604
Chris Paul Hornets $14,940,153
Tim Duncan Spurs $18,835,381
A-F Aminu Clips $2,563,320

TOTAL: $47,820,898

MChambers
10-29-2010, 09:42 AM
Boy, Grant Hill looks great, physically. He just got called for stepping out of bounds, but he kind of casually finished his baseline drive by taking off from outside the lane and throwing it down. He's like Benjamin Button or something.

Pretty sure I read that his coach's daughter calls him that.

Acymetric
10-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Pretty sure I read that his coach's daughter calls him that.

That's pretty funny...I've really enjoyed watching Grant's resurgence since he got healthy. Wish the Suns were still looking like a legit title contender these days.

MChambers
10-29-2010, 01:23 PM
That's pretty funny...I've really enjoyed watching Grant's resurgence since he got healthy. Wish the Suns were still looking like a legit title contender these days.

"I really do feel young," said Hill, nicknamed "Benjamin Button" by coach Alvin Gentry's daughter, Alexis. "I feel like people have been waiting for me to slow down. I don't feel like I'm slowing down at all. I enjoy the game and competing. I enjoy the brotherhood. I enjoy that I can still do it, be competitive and get the better of matchups at times to help this team."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2010/10/04/20101004phoenix-suns-grant-hill-defies-age.html#ixzz13lm1gCm0

mo.st.dukie
10-29-2010, 01:59 PM
Watching the Magic/former Bullets reminds me of why I dislike nba......it's just not a fun game to watch. Feed the ball in. Feed the ball in. Feed the ball in. Watch Nelson and the half-man/half-retired take shots that they're never shy about taking. It's not helped either when the Magic are still actively not looking to pass to JJ (though he missed at least 2 shots while I've watched that he should hit, he's only gotten 4 attempts). Chris isn't looking too crisp right now either. Hopefully things will improve for both.

I thought Chris did a nice job, had two fantastic pick and roll assists to Gortat and had some nice takes to the hoops. In 19 minutes he was 3/3 from the field. Certainly looked better than Jason Williams as that's his competition for backup PG.

J.J. did what he's supposed to do. His defense is really sharp as it seemed like any time his man went up for a shot J.J. was right on him contesting it. He had a really nice drive to the basket in the first half that was very assertive. He needs to get more shots up to get into a rhythm from downtown. Pietrus had 8 points to J.J.'s 2 but also had 9 shot attemps to J.J.'s 4. Same thing with Ryan Anderson who took 8 shots (0-3 from 3 pt) and ended with 6 points. J.J. also played more minutes than those two but 1.) they don't look to get him the ball much, 2.) There's probably times where he could be more asserive looking for his shot, and 3.) he has a role to play which is spell the starters, provide solid defense, hustle, and get the ball to the playmakers in a position for them to score.

sagegrouse
10-29-2010, 02:02 PM

Well, the sad irony is that Grant went to Phoenix to try and get a ring. The Orlando fans were really mad that he left after earning full salary for six years but missing nearly 300 game with his injuries. And if Grant had remained in Orlando, he might have gotten a ring.

sagegrouse

Acymetric
10-29-2010, 09:08 PM
Edit: In the future, I'll keep my mouth shut, haha. At least 'til after the game.

Hopefully Redick is fine!

CameronBornAndBred
10-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Edit: In the future, I'll keep my mouth shut, haha. At least 'til after the game.

Hopefully Redick is fine!
That was a nice looking Halloween style blood gusher he had below his eye. Full on Lebron elbow...ouch.

CameronBornAndBred
10-29-2010, 10:02 PM
JJ lives, but the Magic are getting the stuffing beaten out of them. Down 20 in the third.

DukieInBrasil
10-29-2010, 11:39 PM
Shel's off to a good start out West, consecutive strong outings on the glass along with 8 pts each night. McRoberts has been on fire from the field but Dunleavy has not shot very well yet. Maggette has also played well so far. I've been pleased that Brand has started off much quicker this year than last year.
Overall, teams with Duke alum have a losing record (5-12) with one game in progress. No team has a winning record, though several are 1-1.

SilkyJ
10-30-2010, 12:32 AM
Grant having a great night in Phoenix: 20-5-5 heading into the 4th quarter.

Silky "Some NBA games are not fun to watch, but these two teams are" J

Edit: We have a Josh Childress sighting. The former Stanford grad that elected to play in Greece for 3 (?) years is now back in the NBA on the Suns...backing up Grant, along with Jared Dudley.

SilkyJ
10-30-2010, 12:51 AM
Interesting side-note: Rondo had 24 assists tonight. Yes, 24. No seriously, 24 of them.

I think after last year's playoffs most people had him as the 3rd best PG in the league behind CP3 and Deron Williams, and ahead of guys like Nash, Rose, and Westbrook. I find that interesting b/c while he thrives in the NBA, his game simply isn't suited for the international game and he couldn't make the USA "B-Team" this past year.

Not really trying to imply or say anything, just an interesting observation, imo, b/c I would still call him a top 3 or 5 PG in the NBA.

Orange&BlackSheep
10-30-2010, 02:34 AM
JJ lives, but the Magic are getting the stuffing beaten out of them. Down 20 in the third.

JJ finished the game with a +/- of +1 in a game they got drilled in. Vince Carter? -26 in 14 minutes of action. Holy BeJeezus.

theAlaskanBear
10-30-2010, 05:22 AM
JJ finished the game with a +/- of +1 in a game they got drilled in. Vince Carter? -26 in 14 minutes of action. Holy BeJeezus.

JJ was alright on a lousy Orlando night. I watched almost all of the game, and JJ looked off his game as well. One thing I noticed is that was was hesitating like crazy (to shoot) and going out of the way not to shoot the ball. In fact the whole magic team looked like they were going out of their way to make useless passes...no one really wanted to score (with the exception of Howard). He did do more than the other guards try and get other players involved, there were several drives and dishes (not that the shots went in).

Also, this technical foul bull hockey HAS GOT TO STOP. I'm all for cutting the arguing, but you have to let players react (a little) to calls. If a player even looks at a ref he is getting T'd up. Like LeBron's steal/foul. He lopes away from the ref, holding his arms to his chest containing himself and he gets T'd anyway. It really threw Howard off his game as well. And the Ilgauskas tech? wha?

sagegrouse
10-30-2010, 09:53 AM
Anyone notice the pas de deux between McBob and Hansbrough when the Pacers played in UNC's alternative home town against the Bobcats?

In the opening game at San Antonio, McBob played (24 mins., 11 pts., 6 RBs) while Hansbrough sat (0, 0, 0).

Last night in Charlotte, Hansbrough, coming off the bench, got more minutes than the starter Josh. Tyler did OK with 12 and 4 in 20 minutes. Josh was productive with 8 and 7 in 17 mins.

I think I see a pattern: when the NBA comes to North Carolina, the Duke guys sit and the UNC guys play. I guess it's a good thing Dunleavy's sub, James Posey (Xavier), isn't a Tarheel. :p

sagegrouse
'Anyone else going to the tailgate today at the Navy game?'

superdave
10-30-2010, 10:38 AM
Just checked and saw that Elliot Williams has not played through two games. He is making $1.254 million this year though, which helps.

Does he still have lingering injury issues? Knee maybe?

Also, I saw an article form June that said EW had an outrageous vertical measured in a private workout (he missed the official combine): 48 inches. Wow!

CameronBornAndBred
10-30-2010, 10:45 AM
Also, this technical foul bull hockey HAS GOT TO STOP.
I didn't notice the technicals so much, but the defensive 3 second calls drove me nuts. Talk about a sure fire way to interrupt the flow of the game.

theAlaskanBear
10-30-2010, 11:20 AM
I didn't notice the technicals so much, but the defensive 3 second calls drove me nuts. Talk about a sure fire way to interrupt the flow of the game.

This is true, but at least those are understandable -- actions that influence the game. One final note on the Orlando game -- other than early season rust, the biggest Magic issue is PG (or lack thereof). Magic had 5 assists the ENTIRE GAME. Rondo out-assisted the Magic by 19. Jameer Nelson is a decent scoring guard, but get a real PG and I guarantee that the Magic make it to the finals...it would also improve Howards game so much.

Oriole Way
10-30-2010, 01:13 PM
This is true, but at least those are understandable -- actions that influence the game. One final note on the Orlando game -- other than early season rust, the biggest Magic issue is PG (or lack thereof). Magic had 5 assists the ENTIRE GAME. Rondo out-assisted the Magic by 19. Jameer Nelson is a decent scoring guard, but get a real PG and I guarantee that the Magic make it to the finals...it would also improve Howards game so much.

Nelson is a capable PG, especially for the Magic system. While he is not an elite PG, he puts up decent assists numbers (hard to do in an offense where Howard gets so many touches and goes to the foul line so much, essentially stalling the offense and severly limiting assist opportunities) and has a career assist to turnover ratio of better than 2.2 to 1, which is solid considering the Howard effect.

Last night's game was not an indicative example of how the Magic function with Nelson. Not only did they shoot atrociously (Lewis was 0/9), but Howard took on even more of an offensive role than he normally does. Howard actually showed an improved and expanded offensive repertoire last night, busting out spin moves and hooks that he had been working on with Hakeem Olajuwon over the summer. These 1-on-1 moves not only negated assist chances, but they also probably caught the entire Magic team off guard and perhaps disoriented them, contributing to their poor shooting night.

Furthermore, what makes Nelson an ideal lead guard for the Magic is that he is an excellent 3-point shooter, shooting over 40% in two the past three seasons and 38.8% for his career. With Howard as a main component of their offense, the PG needs to be a capable 3-pt shooter in order to better space the floor and take advantage of double and triple teams on Howard.

Lastly, it's just not feasible to be able to get a better PG than Nelson. All the best young PG's are locked up or too expensive, and there are not going to be/have not been better PG's available in the drafts at the position where the Magic usually have their first round pick.

basket1544
10-30-2010, 01:48 PM
Jameer Nelson is a very good 3-point shooter, this is true. But he is a terrible passer. I watched him try to dribble his way out of double-teams all night and at the last second just throw the ball toward a teammate in hopes that the teammate would bail him out. He doesn't pass the ball in to Howard up top where he can easily score; he doesn't pass the ball to the other shooters on his team where they can go straight up with a shot in their rhythm. Other than the fact that he is in a point guard sized body, I don't see why he is considered a point guard.
That being said, I can't wait to see the next Magic game because they are my favorite Eastern Conference team right now.

SilkyJ
10-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Watching Elton and the Sixers take on McBob, Dunleavy and Hansblah with the Pacers. Back to back and-1's by Elton and Mike. (Free NBA league pass during the first week of the season on Comcast)

And somehow, hansbrough continues to find ways to score even in his own, awkward ways.

Shane vs Shelden also on NBA TV.

SilkyJ
10-30-2010, 09:52 PM
Sheld's not exactly featured in the Nugget's offense, but he's playing good D and showing lots of energy grabbing boards, blocking shots, getting steals, etc.

Probably better suited to a backup PF role as opposed to starting at PF and playing some C for Denver, but he's definitely looking worthy of 15-20 minutes per night.

SilkyJ
10-30-2010, 09:53 PM
And about .6 seconds after I finished that^ post, McRoberts threw down a monster slam right as I looked up. That'll make sportscenter.

_Gary
10-30-2010, 10:28 PM
Gerald got 16mins last night hitting a jumper, pulling down 4 boards and getting 2 blocks. Hopefully his PT will increase this year.

Don't count on it. No matter what anyone says about Brown being a fair guy, I don't think Gerald will E-V-E-R get a fair shot in Charlotte. He desperately needs to get the heck out of there.

SilkyJ
10-30-2010, 11:20 PM
The McBob dunk got up to Youtube quickly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyclWhP70g4

(If/when a better version is uploaded, I'll update. It was big, and he was fouled (he then missed the FT but Dunleavy tipped it in with a crafty play on the block)

theAlaskanBear
11-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Luol is on the verge of a 40pt night with the Bulls...

jipops
11-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Luol is on the verge of a 40pt night with the Bulls...

vs. a good team too, not some bottom feeder. His shooting has been pretty horrid starting out, good to see him get on track. Rose has fed him for some nice looks as well. Luol is far more effective as a spot up shooter than one that has to create for himself.

JasonEvans
11-01-2010, 10:53 PM
The game is final (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2010110104)and Luol ended with a career high (I think) 40.

14-19 FG, 3-5 3FG, 9-11 FTs, plus minus of +18 in a game the Bulls won by 12.

Extremely impressive!

-Jason "Luol was at 111 ppg before this game-- will be fun to see that average jump!" Evans

SCMatt33
11-01-2010, 11:35 PM
The game is final (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2010110104)and Luol ended with a career high (I think) 40.

Extremely impressive!

-Jason "Luol was at 111 ppg before this game-- will be fun to see that average jump!" Evans

ESPN's recap headline (http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=301101004) agrees that it was a career best. While 40 is impressive on it's own considering that his teammate (Rose) started the night as the NBA's leading scorer, but it's even more amazing because he did it so efficiently, shooting 73.6% on the night. Incredible.

DukieInBrasil
11-02-2010, 09:11 AM

-Jason "Luol was at 11.1 ppg before this game-- will be fun to see that average jump!" Evans

now his average is a shade over 20ppg. Luol had an extremely impressive game, keep it up Luol!!!
40 is definitely the season high (so far) for NBA-Duke alums, will it stand for the whole season? When was the last time a Duke alum scored 40 in an NBA game?

theAlaskanBear
11-02-2010, 09:49 AM
now his average is a shade over 20ppg. Luol had an extremely impressive game, keep it up Luol!!!
40 is definitely the season high (so far) for NBA-Duke alums, will it stand for the whole season? When was the last time a Duke alum scored 40 in an NBA game?

Boozer scored 41pts twice with Utah Jazz in 2006-7 season, one of which was a playoff game.

Grant Hill scored 46 in 1999.

Elton Brand scored 44 twice, also in 1999-2000 it seems.

Those are career highs, I am not sure how many 40+ pt games they have had total...cant get to the season game logs.

DukieInBrasil
11-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Boozer scored 41pts twice with Utah Jazz in 2006-7 season, one of which was a playoff game.

Grant Hill scored 46 in 1999.

Elton Brand scored 44 twice, also in 1999-2000 it seems.

Those are career highs, I am not sure how many 40+ pt games they have had total...cant get to the season game logs.

Thanks for diggin up those stats. That's some pretty fine company Luol's got there. LD has come pretty close to achieving his potential so far. A couple of injuries have hampered him somewhat. I'm hoping that LD can put it all together this year.

hq2
11-02-2010, 11:25 AM
That's some pretty fine company Luol's got there.\

....by that, I would also mean his teammate, Mr. Boozer, who should soon start showing the NBA what an all-Duke forward combo can do. Definitely to be looked forward to.

theAlaskanBear
11-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Thanks for diggin up those stats. That's some pretty fine company Luol's got there. LD has come pretty close to achieving his potential so far. A couple of injuries have hampered him somewhat. I'm hoping that LD can put it all together this year.

Absolutely. Deng has been a very solid SF, with a shooting weakness. But he is perfect for this Bulls team. Statistically, Luol was one of the best SF last year, a year were he was coming off injury and being floated in trade talks. If he has improved his shooting this year (as opposed to just getting uberhot last night) the Bulls will be extremely hard to beat.

\
hq2 sez:

....by that, I would also mean his teammate, Mr. Boozer, who should soon start showing the NBA what an all-Duke forward combo can do. Definitely to be looked forward to.

I cannot wait until Boozer gets back, though I expect some rough games while he learns his teammates...this is going to be the best Bulls team since Jordan. I think they are better than the Magic, right there with the Celtics and the Heat. It's just too bad the Magic matched Redick's contract, because he would be a near perfect SG for the Bulls offense -- good passer, shooter, doesn't need a lot of shots.

Right now Chicago is one of the youngest, most athletic teams in the NBA. Noah has turned into a young Denis Rodman in his rebounding...15rpg so far. Taj Gibson a long, active, post player who can run like Noah and throw it down. James Johnson (of Wake Forest/martial arts fame). Rose. Deng. Boozer. There are going to be a ton of highlight dunks this year.

SilkyJ
11-03-2010, 12:59 AM
Elton had a nice night tonight, scoring in double figures for the 4th straight game. John Wall went off for 29 and 13 in the same game. He also had 8 TOs and managed to chip in 9 steals. He'll start to reduce those TOs with more maturity, and when he does he's going to be scarrrrry good.

Elton had a big play in OT, scoring on a 15 footer with 15 seconds left to put the Sixers up 1, but then got burned by Andre Blatche on the next possesion and fouled him. Blatche hit both and the sixers lost by 1. Highlight is here (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?categoryId=2459789&id=5758386).

theAlaskanBear
11-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Elton had a nice night tonight, scoring in double figures for the 4th straight game. John Wall went off for 29 and 13 in the same game. He also had 8 TOs and managed to chip in 9 steals. He'll start to reduce those TOs with more maturity, and when he does he's going to be scarrrrry good.

Elton had a big play in OT, scoring on a 15 footer with 15 seconds left to put the Sixers up 1, but then got burned by Andre Blatche on the next possesion and fouled him. Blatche hit both and the sixers lost by 1. Highlight is here (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?categoryId=2459789&id=5758386).

That was an entertaining game, not the best basketball you have ever seen, but both teams bumbling into a close OT finish is sometimes good enough :p Brand looks halfway healthy this year -- though his defense will never be the same...efficient night.

(and thank you NBA for the free online league pass trial that ended last night!)

DukieInBrasil
11-03-2010, 10:01 AM
That was an entertaining game, not the best basketball you have ever seen, but both teams bumbling into a close OT finish is sometimes good enough :p Brand looks halfway healthy this year -- though his defense will never be the same...efficient night.
Elton is racking up the steals so far and is averaging almost 2 blocks/game, so his defense looks pretty good to me. Plus his rebounding average is just a shade below his career average. Granted, it's only been 4 games (and Philly is terrible so far) but I'd say Elton is playing solid D and is close to playing like he used to.

mkirsh
11-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Elton is racking up the steals so far and is averaging almost 2 blocks/game, so his defense looks pretty good to me. Plus his rebounding average is just a shade below his career average. Granted, it's only been 4 games (and Philly is terrible so far) but I'd say Elton is playing solid D and is close to playing like he used to.

It was really just that last play where Elton got beat (and it looked like he got a lot of the ball from where I was sitting, but I haven't seen a replay). Overall the Wiz starting frontcourt shot 11-32, with Blatch 5-17 (he did hit 13-14 from the line though). Elton had 21 points on 9-11 shooting, grabbed 9 boards, had 4 steals and a block, so pretty good night for him individually despite the L. Hope he's finally back to full health and can keep this up all year.

Was really impressed with Wall in the open court (the way he chased down Igoudala to attempt that block was insane), but he still has a lot to learn in the half court on both offense and defense. Evan Turner didn't show me very much - wasn't bad, but couldn't really tell when he was on the court. Pretty big gap between the #1 and #2 picks.

sagegrouse
11-03-2010, 10:53 AM

Looks like that timeline is being confirmed. Elton's injury was -- when? -- December 2008. He looks pretty good to me right now.

sagegrouse

SilkyJ
11-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Maggette had a decent game last night as well scoring 16pts...in 17mins. The bucks are spending $10/year on Maggette and yet he's coming off the bench and averaging 21mpg.

theAlaskanBear
11-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Maggette had a decent game last night as well scoring 16pts...in 17mins. The bucks are spending $10/year on Maggette and yet he's coming off the bench and averaging 21mpg.

Interesting factoid: Maggette has gone to the line 29 times in 4 games. He is 29/29 so far. A perfect 100%. As for his role with the team...he is basically their super-sixthman. He comes in off the bench and is pure aggression. The Bucks don't see Maggette as a long term option for them, so his time will be limited to develop Milwaukee's younger forwards...Carlos Delfino, Mbah a Moute, Chris Douglas Roberts (who is having a surprisingly good year). Salmons has even been playing some at the SF this year (having signed that multi-year contract he is going to get PT).

flyingdutchdevil
11-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Interesting factoid: Maggette has gone to the line 29 times in 4 games. He is 29/29 so far. A perfect 100%. As for his role with the team...he is basically their super-sixthman. He comes in off the bench and is pure aggression. The Bucks don't see Maggette as a long term option for them, so his time will be limited to develop Milwaukee's younger forwards...Carlos Delfino, Mbah a Moute, Chris Douglas Roberts (who is having a surprisingly good year). Salmons has even been playing some at the SF this year (having signed that multi-year contract he is going to get PT).

Getting to the line is Maggette's forte. He is easily a top-5 talent at that skill. If he cared about playing D, or focused on his jump shot for a summer, he would be an incredible talent.

He reminds me of Tim Thomas - so much potential, so little care...

DukieInBrasil
11-03-2010, 01:56 PM
I don't understand the dynamics of the NBA and $$$ but that seems like a waste of resources there. If he's worth that much money, why not give him a chance to show if he's worth being a starter? OTOH, Maggette has made a career of being a 6th man (dating back to his days at Duke). He has won his way onto the starting roster in GS and periodically elsewhere but always finds himself back in the 6th man role.
What is it about his play that makes him not a starter even though he does lots of stuff as well or better than many NBA W/F starters? Scoring? Check. Getting to the line? Check. Great FT%? Check. Rebounding? Check. FG%? Decent, not great. 3FG%? A shade less than average (32% career). Passing? Career-wise, pretty good.
In fact, after only 4 games, it seems that the Bucks want to use CM as an attack the basket wing, which admittedly is what he does best as he is a great FT shooter and a not-so-good 3pt shooter, but they don't want him to pass the ball. Or at least the team's composition limits that aspect of his game. Career-wise, his a/t is a shade less than 1, but averages 2.2 apg, so he's done a respectable job in that respect. Actually, for as much as he attacks, it's quite remarkable that he limits his TOs so much and can still actually pass the rock for some assists. This year, he's got 2 assists for a 0.5 apg. There's still a lot of ball left to play, but it seems that the Bucks are using him in a way that limits his worth somewhat. It'd be interesting to hear a reason as to why.
Why pay a guy $10M to do something that you could've gotten for a lot less? Why not let Maggette, a proven veteran, teach the young'uns on the team a thing or two by example?

hq2
11-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Over the years, true or not, Maggette has developed a reputation for being a selfish player who worries too much about his own stats. As such, he's better coming in off the bench where he can just blast away at lesser defenders and tired starters. As a starter, he just doesn't play the kind of team ball needed for an offense to run smoothly, at least in the eyes of the coaches.

pfrduke
11-03-2010, 08:31 PM
My goodness the Timberwolves are bad. They trail by 35! at the half to Orlando, giving up 78 points in 24 minutes of play.

Duhon and Redick each played 9 minutes in the first half - Chris was +19, with 6 points and 2 assists; JJ +14 with 7 points and a steal. Wayne Ellington played 7 minutes for the T-Wolves during which they were outscored by 20.

Daniel tosh
11-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Brand had a great game tonight with 25,12,and 4.I sure hope he gets back to his old form.

CameronBornAndBred
11-03-2010, 10:16 PM
My goodness the Timberwolves are bad. They trail by 35! at the half to Orlando, giving up 78 points in 24 minutes of play.

Duhon and Redick each played 9 minutes in the first half - Chris was +19, with 6 points and 2 assists; JJ +14 with 7 points and a steal. Wayne Ellington played 7 minutes for the T-Wolves during which they were outscored by 20.
LOL...everyone on the Magic except for Pietrus had a plus in the +/- column.
http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=301103019

theAlaskanBear
11-04-2010, 07:46 AM
LOL...everyone on the Magic except for Pietrus had a plus in the +/- column.
http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=301103019

There is a reason for that...and it aint luck.

Elton Brand had another big night -- 25 13reb 4ast 2blk in the Sixers win. Shot 60% from the field and was perfect from the line. Maybe he is finally getting back to form. I thought he had lost it.

The indefatigable Grant Hill had a good night in the Suns loss to the Los Spurs. 15pts 8reb 3stl 2blk.

Corey Maggette finally missed a free throw...was 7/8 from the line. Is 35/36 on the season. Bucks lost a great OT game in the Garden to the Celtics. Announcer threw out something interesting: Maggette is 2nd all time player with the highest % of his career points coming from free throws. You get a treat if you find out who is #1.

DevilHorns
11-04-2010, 08:04 AM
Brand had a great game tonight with 25,12,and 4.I sure hope he gets back to his old form.

Elton is playing had a very high level right now. With the free NBA dream pass over the past week I've got to see him in action for several games and I'm very impressed.

BTW, I didn't know Daniel Tosh was a Duke fan?

NSDukeFan
11-04-2010, 08:35 AM

Elton Brand had another big night -- 25 13reb 4ast 2blk in the Sixers win. Shot 60% from the field and was perfect from the line. Maybe he is finally getting back to form. I thought he had lost it.

The indefatigable Grant Hill had a good night in the Suns loss to the Los Spurs. 15pts 8reb 3stl 2blk.

Corey Maggette finally missed a free throw...was 7/8 from the line. Is 35/36 on the season. Bucks lost a great OT game in the Garden to the Celtics. Announcer threw out something interesting: Maggette is 2nd all time player with the highest % of his career points coming from free throws. You get a treat if you find out who is #1.

Tyler Hansbrough? :p

CameronBornAndBred
11-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Maggette is 2nd all time player with the highest % of his career points coming from free throws. You get a treat if you find out who is #1.
I'd guess JJ, but he sure had a ton from outside. I could see Beaker having it also.

sagegrouse
11-04-2010, 09:07 AM
BTW, what's with Corey's physique -- especially his shoulder development? He makes Dwight Howard look, well, normal.

sagegrouse

theAlaskanBear
11-04-2010, 09:28 AM
I'd guess JJ, but he sure had a ton from outside. I could see Beaker having it also.

I need to clarify: 2nd highest % of career points from free throws in the NBA.

MChambers
11-04-2010, 09:57 AM
I need to clarify: 2nd highest % of career points from free throws in the NBA.
I have to admit that I really don't have a good idea. I know that Jerry Stackhouse has always gotten a very high percentage of his points at the line, but I have to think there is someone more prominent who's got the record.

jipops
11-04-2010, 09:58 AM

Dolph Schayes

Farn
11-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Elliot Williams to have season ending surgery

http://www.iamatrailblazersfan.com/ArticleDisplay/tabid/120/itemid/2024/Default.aspx

Daniel tosh
11-04-2010, 06:32 PM
I have to admit that I really don't have a good idea. I know that Jerry Stackhouse has always gotten a very high percentage of his points at the line, but I have to think there is someone more prominent who's got the record.

My first guess would be Jordan.

SilkyJ
11-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Knicks pulled off a nice road win over the Bulls following the Luol's 40pt effort. Toney Douglas (ex-FSU) led the way for the knicks off the bench with 30pts. Ray Felton also had a double-double for the knicks putting up 20pts/10asts. The knicks shot 16-24 from 3 (!)

Luol had 17 pts on 5-13, but hit 3-4 from downtown. Also had 5 TOs.

I'm quickly eating my word WRT Luol's 3 pt shooting: he's 7-14 so far this year and shooting 3.5 per game, after shooting only 1 per game last year, and 1 every few games in prior years. If he's truly expanded his range, then that could be a big weapon for him. (And it shouldn't surprise anyone if he has extended his range to the 3pt line -- he's been an excellent jump shooter from 18-20 feet for several years, just needed to work on the range a bit)

SilkyJ
11-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Shelden vs Blake Griffin on ESPN right now.

Sheld just hit an 18 footer and then played good D on Kaman and got a steal to start the 2nd quarter. Griffin isn't in right, and not sure if Sheld would guard him as he's likely to spend time at the 5 with Nene out.

BattierD12
11-06-2010, 01:52 AM
And for the buzzer beater...Grant Hill to Laet...I mean Jason Richardson. Perfect half-court alley-oop inbounds pass from Hill to send the game into overtime, where the Suns ultimately prevailed over the Grizzlies. Sportscenter just showed the shot, along with "The Shot." Maybe Hill should pull a Paulus and become a quarterback for the NFL after finishing his bball career.

DukieInBrasil
11-06-2010, 08:32 AM
Shelden Williams has been surprisingly steady and scored double figures for the first time this year to go with 6 boards. He's bound to lose his starting gig when Nene (Baby in Portuguese) comes back but Shel's play this year has been much better than in Boston last year where he lost his role off the bench to Big Baby (now which one is bigger?).
Neither Duhon nor Redick has played particularly well. Chris's a/t is not very good so far which is what he needs to be doing better at, and he's not scoring much (3.5ppg). JJ hasn't gotten very many minutes but also hasn't shot well (<30% FG) so maybe he needs to earn them back.

theAlaskanBear
11-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Knicks pulled off a nice road win over the Bulls following the Luol's 40pt effort. Toney Douglas (ex-FSU) led the way for the knicks off the bench with 30pts. Ray Felton also had a double-double for the knicks putting up 20pts/10asts. The knicks shot 16-24 from 3 (!)

Luol had 17 pts on 5-13, but hit 3-4 from downtown. Also had 5 TOs.

I'm quickly eating my word WRT Luol's 3 pt shooting: he's 7-14 so far this year and shooting 3.5 per game, after shooting only 1 per game last year, and 1 every few games in prior years. If he's truly expanded his range, then that could be a big weapon for him. (And it shouldn't surprise anyone if he has extended his range to the 3pt line -- he's been an excellent jump shooter from 18-20 feet for several years, just needed to work on the range a bit)

Luol hit the 3 at the end of the game last night to tie and send it to overtime. He finished with 20pts and 6rebs.

Brand also had a good night, another 20pt showing but strangely ended with just 2 rebounds.

Dunleavy, Maggette, and Williams also scored in double figures.

phaedrus
11-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Through 6 games, Brand is actually the #1-ranked fantasy player according to Yahoo. A nice little reward to those with some faith.

theAlaskanBear
11-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Dolph Schayes

Correct! Schayes hit 6712 free throws, of his approx 19,000 points.

Jordan only hit 7300, and scored 32,000 points.

Starter
11-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Through 6 games, Brand is actually the #1-ranked fantasy player according to Yahoo. A nice little reward to those with some faith.

I think Elton went in the 11th round in my league, obviously a terrific pick. I took him in the first round (!) two years ago and got burned like never before, so I shied away. But he's getting it done, man. I have no Dukies, though I do have three Knicks, my favorite team. So far they're actually watchable, which is a tremendous change from the past decade or so.

basket1544
11-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Duhon is starting tonight for the injured Nelson. So far he's got 4 assists and is taking care of the ball. I'm not able to see the game, just watching the gamecast on ESPN.
I'm a Mavs fan that is going to have major issues tonight when the Mavericks play Denver. I've already told Dad when Shel and Haywood are fighting for a rebound, I can't cheer for Brendan. It's impossible.

sagegrouse
11-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Duhon is starting tonight for the injured Nelson. So far he's got 4 assists and is taking care of the ball. I'm not able to see the game, just watching the gamecast on ESPN.
I'm a Mavs fan that is going to have major issues tonight when the Mavericks play Denver. I've already told Dad when Shel and Haywood are fighting for a rebound, I can't cheer for Brendan. It's impossible.

That was Duhon's tally for the game. Sounds like a great outing for the new Magic player.

sagegrouse

nocilla
11-07-2010, 08:01 AM
Shelden Williams has been surprisingly steady and scored double figures for the first time this year to go with 6 boards. He's bound to lose his starting gig when Nene (Baby in Portuguese) comes back but Shel's play this year has been much better than in Boston last year where he lost his role off the bench to Big Baby (now which one is bigger?).
Neither Duhon nor Redick has played particularly well. Chris's a/t is not very good so far which is what he needs to be doing better at, and he's not scoring much (3.5ppg). JJ hasn't gotten very many minutes but also hasn't shot well (<30% FG) so maybe he needs to earn them back.

Actually Shelden had been starting at PF until Nene went out and then he moved to C. When Nene returns he will likely return to PF where he was pulling double digit rebounds. But he may lose his spot down the road when Chris Anderson returns in December and Kenyon Martin is expected to return in January. Hopefully by then he will have established a role though.

timmy c
11-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Actually Shelden had been starting at PF until Nene went out and then he moved to C. When Nene returns he will likely return to PF where he was pulling double digit rebounds. But he may lose his spot down the road when Chris Anderson returns in December and Kenyon Martin is expected to return in January. Hopefully by then he will have established a role though.

Shelden DeMar Williams has a new website. Check it out at:
http://www.sheldenwilliams.com/

DukieInBrasil
11-07-2010, 05:18 PM

Brand had another great game today, probably even better in the Fantasy basketball world. 20-7-2-1-2. And the 6ers won in New York. He's scored 20+ in each of the last 4 games. It's pretty obvious that his more toned physique is helping him with mobility and quickness. It'd be awesome if he kept this up all year.

theAlaskanBear
11-09-2010, 06:48 AM
Grant Hill had a great game (19pts, 12trb) in a loss to Memphis.
Luol Deng had a solid 17pts and 7trb in a Chitown win over Shelden's Nugs.
The Landlord had a forgettable game with 2pts 5trb.
Redick had 11pts and 3ast, Duhon 4pts 4ast in the Magic win over ATL.
Henderson had 20 minutes in a loss to the Los Spurs, 8pts 3ast 3trb.

hq2
11-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Shelden's starting to fade. 1 for 5 last night, only 12 minutes P.T. Looks like Al Harrington's starting to pass him. Oh well, a nice start, anyway.

BigZ
11-09-2010, 11:25 AM
JJ has been bad so far this season. Sure he had 11 pts last night but that was on 4 for 12 shooting and 0 for 5 from three.

mike88
11-09-2010, 11:30 AM
JJ has been bad so far this season. Sure he had 11 pts last night but that was on 4 for 12 shooting and 0 for 5 from three.

JJ's shooting has been poor from 3 point range (all the Magic players are shooting poorly from 3 except for Vince) but he played pretty well last night and iced the game with two free throws in the final seconds. He also took a big charge and had a couple of good assists.

COYS
11-09-2010, 11:56 AM
JJ's shooting has been poor from 3 point range (all the Magic players are shooting poorly from 3 except for Vince) but he played pretty well last night and iced the game with two free throws in the final seconds. He also took a big charge and had a couple of good assists.

I wouldn't worry too much about JJ's shot. His role has been a little inconsistent again in the early season. Hopefully his all around play will continue to get him more and more minutes so he can get his shot back on track.

grad_devil
11-09-2010, 10:42 PM
...for Mike Dunleavy tonight. He scores 31 as the Pacers score 54 third quarter points to rout the Nuggets 144-113. Yep, you read that right.

Junior was 9-13 (6-10 from 3), and 7-8 from the line.

The Pacers were 20-21 in the third, the lone miss coming from our own Josh McRoberts, as he missed a 3 with 1.9 remaining in the period. Don't you just hold onto that one? :)

Box score:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AqCZfHc47btHpU78Wjd4AgmQvLYF?gid=201 0110911

Recap:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2010110911

--grad_devil

phaedrus
11-09-2010, 10:49 PM
The Pacers were 20-21 in the third, the lone miss coming from our own Josh McRoberts, as he missed a 3 with 1.9 remaining in the period. Don't you just hold onto that one? :)

--grad_devil

I apologize to whomever I earlier attempted to convince that Josh was not a reckless launcher of three-bombs.

DevilHorns
11-09-2010, 10:49 PM
...for Mike Dunleavy tonight. He scores 31 as the Pacers score 54 third quarter points to rout the Nuggets 144-113. Yep, you read that right.

Box score:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AqCZfHc47btHpU78Wjd4AgmQvLYF?gid=201 0110911

Recap:

--grad_devil

What a great game by Mike!

Was a little disappointed regarding McRoberts' numbers 2 pts, 10 rebs, 5 asts, +25 over 30 min
(in contrast to his most direct competition, Hansbrough's numbers 20 pts, 9 rebs, 3 asts, +20 over 29 min)

roywhite
11-09-2010, 11:22 PM

Mike had 24 points in the 3rd quarter alone.

Don't know if anybody keeps track of such things, but that would pretty much have to be a record---most points scored by a Dukie in one quarter in the NBA.

By the way, not Duke related....but the Heat blow a 22-pt lead at home and lose in OT to the Jazz, for their third loss of the young season. Hmmmm.

DukieInBrasil
11-09-2010, 11:23 PM

Was a little disappointed regarding McRoberts' numbers 2 pts, 10 rebs, 5 asts, +25 over 30 min
(in contrast to his most direct competition, Hansbrough's numbers 20 pts, 9 rebs, 3 asts, +20 over 29 min)

It appears that both McBobs and Psycho were on the floor together for at least 9 minutes or so. It's quite possible that Josh assisted T seeing as JM finished with 5 assists and TH had several buckets. It's crazy that Josh and Tyler have such totally dis-similar games yet both are labeled as PF. If Josh could learn how to a) have better shot selection and b) shoot better he would be an amazing player. He's got excellent athleticism for his size and a great motor to go along with a feel for the game more in line with a PG than a PF.
Dunleavy finally had a breakthrough game, that's the best he's played since his injury 2(?) years ago. He's played a decent all-around game so far this year, but has shot poorly, until tonight. If he can approach this level of play consistently he may be an All-Star caliber player.

BattierD12
11-09-2010, 11:28 PM
By the way, not Duke related....but the Heat blow a 22-pt lead at home and lose in OT to the Jazz, for their third loss of the young season. Hmmmm.

Lebron had a triple double, Wade scores about 40, Bosh actually rebounded, and Deron Williams fouled out before overtime. Yep, Miami wins by like 30.

But then again, Chris Bosh couldn't play a lick of D on Milsap, who had a Jason Williams miracle minute to end regulation.

superdave
11-10-2010, 10:08 AM
It appears that both McBobs and Psycho were on the floor together for at least 9 minutes or so. It's quite possible that Josh assisted T seeing as JM finished with 5 assists and TH had several buckets. It's crazy that Josh and Tyler have such totally dis-similar games yet both are labeled as PF. If Josh could learn how to a) have better shot selection and b) shoot better he would be an amazing player. He's got excellent athleticism for his size and a great motor to go along with a feel for the game more in line with a PG than a PF.
Dunleavy finally had a breakthrough game, that's the best he's played since his injury 2(?) years ago. He's played a decent all-around game so far this year, but has shot poorly, until tonight. If he can approach this level of play consistently he may be an All-Star caliber player.

If McRoberts were Serbian, he'd get paid twice as much.

Super "Congrats to Dunleavy, and here's hoping he continues on his run during his contract year" Dave

COYS
11-10-2010, 10:11 AM
If McRoberts were Serbian, he'd get paid twice as much.

Super "Congrats to Dunleavy, and here's hoping he continues on his run during his contract year" Dave

Dunleavy has had some bad luck after a breakout year in Indy a few years back. I think that if he can stay healthy, we'll see him get back in the flow. Hopefully he can regain some of his '07-'08 form.

Edit: He's also rebounding at a level that would be a career high for him. That's a good indicator that his knee is healthier than it has been in a few years.

superdave
11-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Dunleavy has had some bad luck after a breakout year in Indy a few years back. I think that if he can stay healthy, we'll see him get back in the flow. Hopefully he can regain some of his '07-'08 form.

Edit: He's also rebounding at a level that would be a career high for him. That's a good indicator that his knee is healthier than it has been in a few years.

Dunleavy's contract is up and with his injury history, he probably ought to see demand for his services go down. Also, Indy can clear tons of cap room with him and a few others coming off the books. However, Indy rarely signs splashy free agents so they will probably have to build through trades, the draft and guys who like it there. Or they could overpay for players. Will be interesting to see how a solid season from MD helps out his status.

dukelifer
11-10-2010, 10:41 AM

Box score:

Recap:

--grad_devil

Josh always had a tendency to be in his own little world. How could you not know that your teammates had not missed a shot all quarter?

COYS
11-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Josh always had a tendency to be in his own little world. How could you not know that your teammates had not missed a shot all quarter?

To be fair to Josh, not missing a field goal attempt is quite different than pitching a no hitter or a perfect game. Unless he were actively checking the box score while on the court, he may not have notice. Plus, box scores at basketball games rarely show FG% by quarter. Dunleavy didn't even notice until after the fact . . . and he was the one making most of the shots.

theAlaskanBear
11-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Lebron had a triple double, Wade scores about 40, Bosh actually rebounded, and Deron Williams fouled out before overtime. Yep, Miami wins by like 30.

But then again, Chris Bosh couldn't play a lick of D on Milsap, who had a Jason Williams miracle minute to end regulation.

Millsap was 3/3 from three in this game, despite being 2/20 for his career. Pretty absurd. The Heat have lost 3 games now -- not a big deal, except all three games have been to elite PGs. Rondo 17ast, Paul 19ast, Williams 14ast. I think we see are seeing a trend...and a weakness of the Miami roster. No one to defensively contain good PGs.

SupaDave
11-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Anyone else see the 31 point barrage he put on against the Nuggets in a record setting quarter?

CameronBornAndBred
11-10-2010, 06:37 PM
Made yahoo's front page. (with video)

http://sports.yahoo.com/sportsminute

SilkyJ
11-10-2010, 06:38 PM
Yea dude! We were talking about it last night over here (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?22429-Dukies-in-the-NBA-2010-2011/page8)...

hedevil
11-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Dunleavy sure did go off. The entire team for that matter. 20 in a row? I found it a little amusing that McRoberts played the entire fourth quarter and missed his only shot attempt of the quarter as the game was winding down, which prevented 21 straight baskets. Come on Josh! :)

SupaDave
11-11-2010, 07:38 AM
Yea dude! We were talking about it last night over here (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?22429-Dukies-in-the-NBA-2010-2011/page8)...

Thanks Silky - I totally forgot about this thread.

theAlaskanBear
11-11-2010, 10:01 AM
NBA Roundup:

Brand had 17pts 9trb and 5ast in the loss to OKC. Shot .545%

Maggette led his team in scoring with 20pts and 1ast in a thumping of ATL. He was almost perfect from the floor with 7/8 1/1 5/6.

Henderson had his first double digit scoring game of the season, with 10pts and 5trb at a respectable 3/5 shooting.

Shane had a poor night with 0pts, 3trb 3ast and 2blk in 25minutes in the loss to the Wizards.

JJ and Duhon had pretty forgettable nights for Orlando in another Utah comeback win. The whole team looks pretty disjointed right now, and they are not shooting well. I watched this game, Redick had good passes and ball movement but couldnt connect on any shots. Ditto for Chris. They only played a combined 26minutes.

I have a hard time believing Utah had the energy for another behind by 18pt comeback. The common thread is that as poorly as Deron Williams plays in the first half, he plays as brilliantly in the second half. Millsap came back down to earth, but Al Jefferson made up for him with several nice turn-around push shots (I dont want to them hooks, they are almost like quick stationary floaters, like shot-putting in track) over Howard and some good put backs. Oh, and Andre Kirilenko is his pre-2006 self. He looks like the 5x5 guy he came into the league as, and he is shooting lights out from 3.

sagegrouse
11-11-2010, 10:54 AM
NBA Roundup:

Brand had 17pts 9trb and 5ast in the loss to OKC. Shot .545%.....

Here's last night's line against Houston:

John Wall, PG 42 8-16 2-4 1-2 1 9 10 13 6 1 1 3 +12 19

That's 13 assists and only one TO and a triple double.

sagegrouse

SilkyJ
11-11-2010, 02:01 PM
^methinks he is. if Gilbert can quit all his antics (HIGHLY unlikely) that could be a tremendous backcourt.

More likely, I imagine, is that Gilbert will show flashes of his old self, but keep up some of the antics, and the Wiz will look to move him.

gam7
11-11-2010, 03:05 PM
^methinks he is. if Gilbert can quit all his antics (HIGHLY unlikely) that could be a tremendous backcourt.

More likely, I imagine, is that Gilbert will show flashes of his old self, but keep up some of the antics, and the Wiz will look to move him.

They won't be able to trade him. No one will want his contract.

Greg_Newton
11-11-2010, 03:08 PM

sagegrouse

Not to mention he was four steals away from the second recorded Point-Rebound-Assist-Steal quadruple double in NBA history. It's amazing how much faster he still is than everybody in the open court, even in the NBA.

I still claim him as a Triangle product first and a UK product second, if it all. :)

theAlaskanBear
11-11-2010, 04:00 PM

sagegrouse

Yes, yes, yes. I admit to disliking Wall, and his stupid pretentious dance...but there is no doubt Wall is going to be a GREAT player. Only John Wall and OSCAR "BIG O" FREAKING ROBERTSON have ever had 7 assists in each of his first seven games. The only people to have triple doubles at a younger age are LeBron James, Lamar Odom, and....another guy I cant remember...

...Wall still needs to work on a couple of things. Cutting down turnovers and working on his shooting. If he put in a little mid-range jumper he would be nigh unstoppable.

As to the Arenas-Wall chemistry someone mentioned above: I actually think it will work out if the Wizards give it a chance. Gilbert is not a bad guy, yeah he's done some stupid things, but he is no Marbury or AI (no insult to AI as a person, but talking about his game)...what I am saying is that his game can be adapted and he can play well with others. I actually think his problem in DC was that the Wizards were asking too much. They tried to make him the PG and the center of the franchise and Arenas got too big. Plus he is not an ideal PG -- I see him more of a scorer/assassin mindset, who happens to have the skills to PG in a crunch.

All this Wall talk aside, LeBron James is still the best PG in the NBA. I don't care what people call him, Forward, Point-Forward....he is a PG in a PF body. The last couple of Heat games I have watched (including the loss to Utah) he is just zipping brilliant passes. When he and his teammates learn each other, they are going to be very special.

I think to maximize James you need to run a high-tempo variation of the Princeton offense, or maybe some motion sets where James is at the top of the key or the high post. It's a shame, because Byron Scott utilizes these types offenses -- he is running a Princeton variation in Cleveland...and they are doing surprising well.

I would like to see James and the Heat make it a goal to help him average a triple-double for a season at some point in the future.

DukieInBrasil
11-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Loul dropped 26 pts 11 rebs 6 assists 1 steal and 2 blocks vs 0 turns. What a magnificent game!

flyingdutchdevil
11-12-2010, 06:40 AM
Loul dropped 26 pts 11 rebs 6 assists 1 steal and 2 blocks vs 0 turns. What a magnificent game!

Luol is having a career year. I really hope I don't year anymore "Luol is one the most overpaid players in the league!" columns again.

I've always liked Luol but never liked the Bulls (they broke my Jazz's hearts one too many times). However, with a Rose-Boozer-Deng-Noah line-up, that has got to be one of the most exciting starting line-ups in the game! I wish Boozer wasn't made from glass, though...

superdave
11-12-2010, 09:37 AM

Arenas should come off the bench! He'd be much better for that team off the bench because no one would consider thinking it's HIS team anymore.

I enjoyed watching Miami fall to Boston again last night. But I'm not going to be able to get into the NBA completely until the all star break.

_Gary
11-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Well, it just wouldn't seem like November if I didn't write my annual "Why JJ needs to get out of Orlando" post. Is anyone here still happy that he's with the Magic instead of getting a change of scenery by going to Chicago? I just see so many similarities to the situation Dunleavy found himself in his first couple of years in Golden State. There was some guy (can't even remember his name now) who I knew was only going to be a flash in the pan but was just playing out of his mind at the same time Mike was trying to really get going with the Warriors. Of course, the coaching situation wasn't good there either as I believed then, and still do, that the current Warrior's coach just didn't get Dunleavy and was more than willing to sit him in favor of the "flash in the pan" guy. Finally, when Mike got out of GS he started really coming around.

JJ is in the exact same situation. He's just not going to succeed to the degree I believe he can while here in Orlando. If it's not Peitrus going nuts and playing above his head offensively (look at tonight's box score to see what I mean) then it's Q Rich depriving JJ of playing time. And the worst of it is that when he is in the game I don't see his teammates trying to get him the ball the same way they do the other players at his position. It's been this way the entire time he's been there. His teammates just don't seem to seek him out offensively and I get the impression it's almost a disrespect thing - regardless of the accolades his teammates and the coaches give him in interviews. I'm just convinced he needs a change of scenery in order to reach his full NBA potential.

BTW, I know JJ hasn't helped his cause early on this year. He has played poorly thus far. But confidence is huge in sports and if you don't feel your teammates are really looking for you, and if you feel like you are on a short leash, it's easy to push a bit when you are on the floor and actually play worse. I think that's been an issue for JJ since day one in Orlando. I think had he gone to Chicago we'd be seeing him play a lot more minutes and look much better than what we are seeing right now.

OK, early season "JJ must get out of Orlando" rant over. :D

NSDukeFan
11-12-2010, 10:53 PM
I know he is not a Dukie but Kevin Love had a 30-30 night tonight. Wow! You don't see that every 20 years.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/gameflash/2010/11/12/28375_recap.html

SupaDave
11-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Simply b/c I always like to see the word beserk in headlines...

However, this is truly getting busy...

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/25806481

theAlaskanBear
11-13-2010, 10:07 AM
Simply b/c I always like to see the word beserk in headlines...

However, this is truly getting busy...

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/25806481

Equally nuts is Beasley's 45 and 32pt outbursts in consecutive games. This is shaping up to be an interesting season...

Duke players struggled a bit last night. Dunleavy was very good -- 15pts on 6/9 shooting .500 from 3 and tacked on 6ast and 4trb. Shane had 7pts, 4 blocks (great job!) in a Houston win over Ind(uke)iana. McBobs struggled at 1/6 but had 8trb.

Brand had 8pts 9trb in a loss to Dallas. Redick and Duhon were blanked for the Magic in 27minutes of play but on just 4 shots...they lost. Grant Hill had 4pts and 4trb in a win at sactown.

FireOgilvie
11-13-2010, 09:33 PM
http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/11/13/801252/thomas-out-while-henderson-in.html

Henderson has had some leg problems and here's what Larry Brown has to say about it:

“The fact that he hasn’t been able to practice,’’ Brown said of likely sitting Henderson. “It’s one thing when you have an older player and you give a guy a day off. But when you’re a young player, practice is important. If he’s not ready to go in practice, I don’t see any reason why he should play in a game.’’

Ouch. I thought Henderson actually looked pretty good so far this year. When he gets minutes, he puts up points. He's consistent.

_Gary
11-13-2010, 11:18 PM
That is a shame, but I'm just not surprised by Larry's attitude. In my opinion Gerald is in a worse place than JJ, and that's saying a lot coming from me. They both desperately need a change of scenery.

theAlaskanBear
11-14-2010, 02:04 PM
There were a couple of great performances last night by Luol Deng and Mike Dunleavy Jr. Both went for 20pts, both shot .500 for the game. Deng hit three 3s, Dunleavy hit 4. Luol added 9trb and 6ast, while Jr collected 5trb and 2ast.

For the season Deng is averaging 20 points, and he has elevated other parts of his game. The last two games he has been a 20-10-5 guy.

DukieInBrasil
11-14-2010, 03:05 PM
There were a couple of great performances last night by Luol Deng and Mike Dunleavy Jr. Both went for 20pts, both shot .500 for the game. Deng hit three 3s, Dunleavy hit 4. Luol added 9trb and 6ast, while Jr collected 5trb and 2ast.

For the season Deng is averaging 20 points, and he has elevated other parts of his game. The last two games he has been a 20-10-5 guy.
One of the things that makes Deng's game so much different this year is that he is shooting the 3 really well. He shot a good % from 3 last year, but he averaged like 1 attempt per game. This year, he is shooting a higher volume from 3 AND shooting a better %. Actually, his 3FG% is marginally better than his overall FG%.
It looks like Deng might be starting to figure out how good he is.

timmy c
11-15-2010, 07:43 PM
Redick sidelined with backspasms :(
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5810510

hq2
11-16-2010, 05:54 PM
One of the things that makes Deng's game so much different this year is that he is shooting the 3 really well. He shot a good % from 3 last year, but he averaged like 1 attempt per game. This year, he is shooting a higher volume from 3 AND shooting a better %. Actually, his 3FG% is marginally better than his overall FG%.
It looks like Deng might be starting to figure out how good he is.

He looked O.K., not great, against the Celtics a week ago or so. However, he is definitely coming into the prime of his career. Once Boozer comes back, Chicago is going to be very tough to beat. Boozer, Deng, Noah, Rose; that's a nucleus as good as anybody's, and the supporting players are pretty good too. I'm betting on a Chicago-Boston eastern conference final (sorry LeBron!).

hedevil
11-17-2010, 04:52 PM
I was just watching Sports Nation, and wanted to give some recognition for Sheldon Williams' nasty dunk that earned him one of the 3 cheers on the show. As a whole, Denver is playing pretty good.

Duke of Nashville
11-17-2010, 05:06 PM
I was just watching Sports Nation, and wanted to give some recognition for Sheldon Williams' nasty dunk that earned him one of the 3 cheers on the show. As a whole, Denver is playing pretty good.

Here is the dunk...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEuvBvxxf6k

hedevil
11-17-2010, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the video. I just caught it while watching the show. That was a sweet one.

hq2
11-17-2010, 05:24 PM
Pretty good! Didn't see him do too many like that last year. He had 10 points in that game, shot 4 for 4, played 33 minutes. Looks like the Denver folks are reconsidering giving his minutes to Al Harrington.

Lord Ash
11-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Wow! Don't remember Shel getting that far off the ground when he was at Duke! An impressive, strong dunk. Good for him!

hedevil
11-17-2010, 07:13 PM
Grant Hill and the Suns are taking on the Heat right now. I can't help but imagine how fun a game like this would have been if Grant was in his prime, minus injuries. WOW!

SilkyJ
11-23-2010, 01:33 AM
Dunleavy came off the bench and played a season low 17mins tonight as the Pacers whooped the Heat. Still played well scoring 11pts on 4-8.

Dunleavy was averaging 30+mpg and had started all the previous games, I believe, so I've got to imagine this was an adjustment to combat Miami's athleticism on the wing.

McBob is also having his best season so far, averaging 5ppg and 6.6 rpg in 23mpg. Nothing amazing, but he's the starting PF for a 6-6 team in the NBA. Not too shabby. Those rebounding #'s could be higher for a guy with his size and athleticism, and that's an easy way for him to increase his value.

JJ also had his best game of the season scoring 11pts and adding 4 asts.

Best dukie of the night had to be Grant with his 17, 7 and 7. Shane had 10, 6 and 4 in the same game, but only shot 3-13.

juise
11-23-2010, 01:49 AM
It looks like the decision to sit Mike was defensive one in the match-up against the Heat (unfortunately, Rush played well offensively in his stead). As a fellow new father, I'd like to think that his reduced role had more to do with the lack of sleep that comes with the added duties. :)

DMV2434
11-24-2010, 10:23 PM
Gets his first start of the season against the Heat and drops 20 points and 5 assists with only one turnover in a team leading 43 minutes in a 104-95 Magic win.

Acymetric
11-25-2010, 02:16 AM
Gets his first start of the season against the Heat and drops 20 points and 5 assists with only one turnover in a team leading 43 minutes in a 104-95 Magic win.

Pretty awesome...I wasn't able to watch the game who seemed to be guarding him the most?

juise
11-25-2010, 02:41 AM
Grant Hill was tonight's high scoring Dukie with 27 points and 8 boards in a double-overtime loss to the Bulls. Luol Deng contributed 26 and 10 to the winning effort (http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=301124021).

In other news, Shane had twice as many blocks as the opposing team to go along with 13 points and 6 boards in a Rockets win (http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=301124010). I was curious if the blocks matched a career high for Shane, butt it looks like his high was against the same team last year (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=291203009) (6 blocks). Pretty solid for a perimeter player.

juise
11-25-2010, 02:51 AM
Pretty awesome...I wasn't able to watch the game who seemed to be guarding him the most?

I wasn't able to watch either and the NBA.com highlights (http://www.nba.com/video/games/magic/2010/11/24/0021000213_mia_orl_recap.nba/?ls=iref:nbahpt1) didn't reveal much. In a 2:30 minute clip they show J.J. score once, a nice move he put on Eddie House. The rest of the highlights appeared to show Wade being matched up with JJ, but he was cheating off of him heavily. Maybe that's how JJ put up 20.

Poincaré
11-25-2010, 04:07 AM
This is admittedly a trivial thing, but I found the following line in ESPN's recap of Orlando's win over Miami.

Nelson drove back down and found Redick for a jumper that put Orlando ahead 95-89. (link: ESPN story (http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=301124019))

There is a video of that particular play in the page. What really happened was the following: Nelson passed to JJ outside the arc. JJ totally fakes out his defender, drives to the free throw line and pulls up to stick a nice mid-range jumper.

What part of that was Nelson "finding" JJ for a jumper? I really hope that Nelson didn't get an assist on that play. Reason #273 that the NBA is a little bit like pro wrestling: Such passes are often counted as assists, especially if you are Chris Paul playing at home.

I actually enjoy the NBA, but this is just one of my pet peeves.

Billy Dat
11-25-2010, 07:48 AM
I wateched Q4 of the Magic/Heat game and was very pleased to see JJ play the whole time. He was also GUARDING Wade, and did a very effective job. He has become such a smart position/team defender that even though he had no hope of containing him one on one, the Magic were helping and Miami, as you may have read, plays offense like an AAU team. Make no mistake, though, Jameer Nelson owned the 4th Quarter and was making tons of huge plays down the stretch.

My hometown Knicks played the Bobcats back to back (home and away) Tuesday and Wednesday nights. While I was thrilled to see the Knicks win their 4th and 5th in a row after losing 6 in a row, it hurt to see Gerald on the bench in both games. He should call JJ and get the pep talk about how a player needs to better themselves to see action at the 2 in the NBA. As for the Knicks, my love of Ray Felton grows with every game. It is amazing (some might say pathetic) how I immediately put the rivalry aside when a Heel winds up on the Knicks. That being said, it was not hard to hate Larry Brown during his time in MSG.

nmduke2001
11-25-2010, 12:21 PM
I watched the entire game. JJ and Wade were guarding one another on nearly every possession. JJ forced Wade into several poor shots. Who would have thought that JJ could play Dwayne Wade man-to-man an entire game and outscore him? It's a testament to how hard he has worked. Granted, having Howard guarding the rim helps.

Too bad the Magic matched the Bulls offer for JJ. It would have been nice to see him start every game alongside Luol and Boozer.

hq2
11-25-2010, 09:58 PM
This might be what J.J. needs to get him going. Up until now, his 3 point shooting has been atrocious, and he has had a number of D.N.P.s Now, if he can start and get enough shots to get confidence, he may get untracked. Hope he can build on this and get it going.

SilkyJ
11-26-2010, 10:05 AM
I was on a flight Wednesday so didn't see the game until last night via DVR. JJ looked great and had a couple of great passes that should have been assists. One was to Dwight Howard where he could have thrown down a 360-windmill-between the legs and somehow blew the layup. On another he hit Q Richardson in the chest with a pass right in front of the basket and Q wasn't ready for it.

Glad to see him play well and get back into it. At one point Wade was 3-13 or something. JJ basically turned him into a jump shooter and he didn't deliver.

Lord Ash
11-26-2010, 10:18 AM
Who would have thought that JJ could play Dwayne Wade man-to-man an entire game and outscore him?

Me! J.J. played against a RAFT of super, super talented players in college, and pretty much performed better than all of them. I know that some of the NBA guys are viewed as untouchable basketball gods on a whole different plane of existence, but they are just very good basketball players, and I know that J.J. is a very good basketball player as well.

Jeff Frosh
11-26-2010, 01:33 PM
This might be what J.J. needs to get him going. Up until now, his 3 point shooting has been atrocious, and he has had a number of D.N.P.s Now, if he can start and get enough shots to get confidence, he may get untracked. Hope he can build on this and get it going.

I agree that he may be on his way to getting untracked. His last game was easily his best game of the season, and the game before that (11-4-2 at San Antonio) was probably his second best game of the season. It seems like he always has big games when he knows in advance that he will start and get big minutes because Vince is out. And just to clarify, JJ's only DNP's this year were when he was out with a bad back.

DukieInBrasil
11-27-2010, 07:39 AM
Last night (Fri.) was a good night for Duke alums in the Show. JJ had his 3rd strait game with 5 FGs made, he was absolutely terrible early in the year, but ever since sitting out a game (or two?) and then being put in the starting lineup in Vince's absence he has been lighting it up. He gets assists, he gets rebounds, he scores points and offers great value to the team while on the floor. Duhon had a very nice night too, with 9 assists vs 3 turns. Chris is usually a scoring liability, although he did put up 8 points on only 4 shots.
Shelden continues to start for Denver and although his stats aren't gaudy, he seems to always have a good +/-.
McRoberts had a stellar game for Indy as did Dunleavy. Josh did a little bit of everything, but Dunleavy ended up with a 2x double. Dhantay really needs to find a new team cuz his coach is not giving him any sort of chance.
Deng and Hill both had sweet games, although Deng's 2x double was more stat-worthy, Hill's Suns got a win while Deng's Bulls took an OT loss. Can't wait til Boozer gets back on the court.
Battier had a terrible shooting night though he did a bit of everything as he always does and Brand had a terrible shooting night but ended up with otherwise decent stats.
Hendedrson continues to be OOC.

Billy Dat
11-29-2010, 01:28 PM
This Pacers phenomenon is really interesting. I haven't seen them play yet, but they have come from nowhere to knock off the Lakers in LA.

Mike D, McRoberts and Psycho T all getting meaningful minutes. Another K protege, Team USA's Danny Granger filling it up. Roy Hibbert emerging as one of the best young centers in the NBA. Dahntay trying to earn some PT. Interesting times in Indy.

NSDukeFan
11-30-2010, 12:21 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/nba/11/29/boozer.returns.bulls.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

No time line on Boozer's return to game action, but he made it through a practice.

dball
12-01-2010, 01:08 AM
Nice shout out for Josh from teammate Roy Hibbert.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/26168763

Hibbert, who is playing really well this year, gives some credit to McRoberts for reminding him how hard they worked this summer to be ready for late game pushes.

Starter
12-01-2010, 01:57 AM
I wouldn't have predicted this, but McRoberts is actually playing pretty well for a very surprising Pacers squad. Besides solid rebounding, check out this dunk (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5869194&categoryid=2459789).

Jeff0r3
12-01-2010, 02:01 AM
Made the Play of the Day on Sportcenter! wow...

hq2
12-01-2010, 09:31 AM
He had a couple at Duke that were even better. It was the other things he didn't do back then that he's doing now that are making the difference. Glad he's finally maturing and showing what he can do.

Spencer's Daddy
12-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Caught it and slammed it with his right (non-shooting) hand!

theAlaskanBear
12-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Duke players in action tonight:

It is unlikely Boozer will play in tonights game (more likely he will start next week) but if the Bulls do play them then we have a matchup of Boozer and Deng vs Redick and Duhon. CHI v ORL

Maggette and the Bucks face off against Shelden Williams and the Suns.

Shane and the Rockets play the Lakers, and Gerald's Bobcats play as well (but forget PT).

SilkyJ
12-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Duke players in action tonight:

It is unlikely Boozer will play in tonights game (more likely he will start next week) but if the Bulls do play them then we have a matchup of Boozer and Deng vs Redick and Duhon. CHI v ORL

Maggette and the Bucks face off against Shelden Williams and the Suns.

Shane and the Rockets play the Lakers, and Gerald's Bobcats play as well (but forget PT).

Sheld and the nuggets, my friend!

Also, Gerald is injured right now so his lack of PT is b/c of that. Just FYI in case you hadn't heard. In fact, I think he just had his knee examined by doctors at Duke.

theAlaskanBear
12-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Sheld and the nuggets, my friend!

Also, Gerald is injured right now so his lack of PT is b/c of that. Just FYI in case you hadn't heard. In fact, I think he just had his knee examined by doctors at Duke.

Yeah, I knew about Gerald's injury.

Sorry for the errors but I have a terrible cold/virus so I am in a perpetual fog. I think the Nuggets and Phoenix D have traded places the last couple of years anyway...

Hill and Suns play Golden State tomorrow after the Miami-Cleveland game!

basket1544
12-02-2010, 12:42 AM
Anyone know why JJ didn't play tonight?

juise
12-02-2010, 12:48 AM
Anyone know why JJ didn't play tonight?

It was a stomach bug (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-orlando-magic-news-1202-20101201,0,2584457.story).

theAlaskanBear
12-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Grant Hill continues to impress in old age. 24pts on 9-11 shooting. Leading scorer JRich had 25. Phoenix needed all of them to edge the Warriors in SF.

Also, Boozer played his first game of the season yesterday in a disappointing Magic-Bulls game. He is still finding his game legs, but he did do a little of everything: 5pts on 2-5 shooting, 2trb, 2stl, 1blk, 1ast in 22 minutes. Doesn't sound great, but considering the fact that he is trying to fit in with team mates, and compared to Noah's ZERO rebounds in 25 minutes....

During his end of his injury I was reading articles and watching vid about Boozer and they show a true professional at work. Everyone kept saying how Boozer traveled with the team on the road (which can be uncommon for injured players) and watched practice and his a real clubhouse presence and has good chemistry with the Bulls...etc etc.

Also yesterday, some of you noticed it already after the Mich St game but I thought I would enter it here as historical fact. Battier had one of his best clutch performances yesterday as they held on to beat the Lakers. Shane drained two threes and a two between minutes two and one in the second half to finish the Lakers. He ended the game with 17 pts on 4-6 from the 3, 5-7 overall.

theAlaskanBear
12-03-2010, 09:32 AM
Oh and tonight you can watch one of the best rivalries the past couple of years in sports: Bulls-Celtics on ESPN at 8. (and catch Boozer's second game, and the awesomeness of Luol who drained a bunch of big 3's to send it to OT last time).

BattierD12
12-04-2010, 12:14 AM
Who's the only player that can stop Dwight Howard and Jameer Nelson? JJ Redick.

Redick's been out the past couple of games due to a stomach virus, which spread to Dwight, Jameer, and Pietrus, sidelining all of them for the game. The Magic still ended up beating the Pistons at Detroit 104-91 behind vintage VC (25 pts, 9 assists) and Bass (27 pts, 11/12 shooting). Duhon started and got 6 pts. Definitely one of the most satisfying wins in the regular season as a Magic fan to see our reserves pull through.

NSDukeFan
12-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Another solid game for Battier last night (12 points, 4 rebs, 5 assists, 3 steals and a block) in a victory over Memphis. I liked this quote from the re-cap:

Battier, who played his first five years for Memphis, still gets cheers in pregame introductions.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/gameflash/2010/12/03/28503_recap.html

A little different than LeBron's reception in Cleveland?

DevilHorns
12-04-2010, 11:38 AM
I don't know if this has been noted... but Gerald Henderson is out with a left knee injury. He's expected to be back within a week or so.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4617/news;_ylt=ApUj6sMld8vE20kY0L.Q1kCkvLYF

Kdogg
12-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Another solid game for Battier last night (12 points, 4 rebs, 5 assists, 3 steals and a block) in a victory over Memphis. I liked this quote from the re-cap:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/gameflash/2010/12/03/28503_recap.html

A little different than LeBron's reception in Cleveland?

But the Cleveland fans did cheer for Big Z.

gumbomoop
12-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Check out this interesting article on how several NBA guys credit their time with Team USA for improving their game, and more broadly, their understanding of how to play:

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-101203-05/team-usa-bump-effect

The overall theme is worth noting: ... "a breakout fivesome that is clearly relying on the common boost of increased self-confidence after the players' time working with Mike Krzyzewski and Coach K's staff, which we should also say does more effective teaching in the Team USA setting than it ever gets credit for."

theAlaskanBear
12-05-2010, 08:41 AM
Carlos Boozer had a breakout game on his third try. 25pts 9trb on 60% shooting in a win over Houston. Deng added another 15pts and was 6/12 from the field. Battier had 12 and 7 in the loss.

Brand and the 76ers also won. 15pts 10trb.

IrishDevil
12-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Check out this interesting article on how several NBA guys credit their time with Team USA for improving their game, and more broadly, their understanding of how to play:

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-101203-05/team-usa-bump-effect

Judging from gumbo's title, he could have also been referring to this, but there's an interesting side bar in that same weekend dime article:

"Houston's Shane Battier played in his 700th career regular-season game last weekend, making him the ninth player from Duke to reach that milestone in the NBA. The others are Jeff Mullins, Jack Marin, Mike Gminski, Danny Ferry, Christian Laettner, Grant Hill, Corey Maggette and Elton Brand. Only North Carolina (14) and UCLA (13) have produced more 700-game NBA players than Duke."

NSDukeFan
12-06-2010, 11:20 AM
I thought this was an interesting tidbit:

Grant Hill, the Suns' 38-year-old forward, is averaging more than 14 points. If he continues that pace through the end of the season that would put him in select company. Only five players in NBA history - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Michael Jordan, Karl Malone, Reggie Miller and Robert Parish - have averaged 14 or moe at the age of 38 or older.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/gameflash/2010/12/05/28517_recap.html

In other notes, Shelden had 9 points and 9 rebounds in the Nuggets' victory.

hq2
12-06-2010, 12:21 PM
That was a good game. He's been up and down, but consistently starting, and his team has been winning. I think his steady defense and (usually) reliable rebounding have kept him in the starting lineup. His D doesn't always show up in the stat sheet, but it's still important.

theAlaskanBear
12-06-2010, 11:43 PM
Boozer in just his 4th game back, is delivering big time. His in his last two games he has 54 points and 21 rebounds. Tonight he had 29 and 12 and carried the Bulls to a 9-pt win over the OKC Thunder in a night where Rose struggled with 3-13 shooting. Deng also pitched in with 19 pts.

Acymetric
12-07-2010, 12:43 AM
I thought this was an interesting tidbit:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/gameflash/2010/12/05/28517_recap.html

In other notes, Shelden had 9 points and 9 rebounds in the Nuggets' victory.

I think that is exactly representative of the type of career he could have had if he'd been able to avoid injuries...but even still he has put together a career that is more than respectable.

DukieInBrasil
12-07-2010, 07:57 AM
I think that is exactly representative of the type of career he could have had if he'd been able to avoid injuries...but even still he has put together a career that is more than respectable.
Well, I'd have to say that prior to arriving in Denver Shelden was unable to show the fullness of his game, and that being a sub and accumulator of DNP-CDs is a shade short of a respectable NBA career. If his career had been spent in Denver or had gotten off the bench more frequently prior to arriving in Denver, he'd have a solidly respectable career already. He's still trying to shake off the "bust" label, which may be unfair. If his career continues on the path he is on now, he'd be a more than respectable NBA player.
It was a pretty good night for the alums: Chicago's pair, Boozer and Deng, both had very good games in a win, Dunleavy and McRoberts both had solid games in an Indiana win, JJ has shaken off his early-season slump and then the stomach virus to score 11 and Duhon had another steady night as the starting PG in a Magic loss, and Corey Maggette shook off a string of sub-par games to score 20 in a Bucks loss.
Just to touch on McBobs, after a very slow start to his career he has really blossomed in Indiana as a New-style PF. He's a solid rebounder and defender, very good passer at the PF position and an opportunistic scorer. I believe that his shooting will continue to improve over time and will become a reliable offensive player. He has improved his FT shooting and is over 65% for the year. The main gripe/knock on his game used to be 3FGs, but he is shooting over 40% from 3 this year. I still think he left Duke at least 1 year too early, which helped cement his rep as selfish, but he has improved on a lot of the weak points of his game and has apparently grown up quite a bit. Good on you Josh.

sagegrouse
12-07-2010, 08:21 AM

"More than respectable." Ya' think? Grant has been in six all-star games, and in his last year in Detroit averaged nearly 26 ppg. He has scored nearly 16,000 points and his career average (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/grant_hill/career_stats.html)is 17.8.

sagegrouse

theAlaskanBear
12-07-2010, 08:58 AM
"More than respectable." Ya' think? Grant has been in six all-star games, and in his last year in Detroit averaged nearly 26 ppg. He has scored nearly 16,000 points and his career average (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/grant_hill/career_stats.html)is 17.8.

sagegrouse

If we project Hills time in Detroit out to 16 years he'd be staring at close to 27,000 points and somewhere between 12th and 6th on the all time scoring list (figuring 26 to 27k), 13th and 8th in on all time assists (approx 7400), top 50 in rebounds (9000), 9th and 6th in steals (2100). Definitely a legendary career. But even now, he is a legend of perseverance and an ambassador of the game.

note all stats are rough.

SilkyJ
12-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Good to see JJ return after missing another couple of games, and good to see him getting back into form He had 11pts on 3-6 shooting last night and seems to be getting back into the role he excelled in last year.

Since returning from back spasms in mid-november, after a horrible October and early November, JJ's #'s look like this (7 games):

Mins 27
Pts 11.1
FG% 44.0%
3FG% 45.8%
FT% 92.0%
REB 2.1
ASTS 3.1
TO 1

Notably, he played 43 minutes, scored 20 points, had 4 boards and 5 dimes in a win over the heat just before thanksgiving. Keep it up JJ!

hq2
12-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Well, I'd have to say that prior to arriving in Denver Shelden was unable to show the fullness of his game, and that being a sub and accumulator of DNP-CDs is a shade short of a respectable NBA career. If his career had been spent in Denver or had gotten off the bench more frequently prior to arriving in Denver, he'd have a solidly respectable career already. He's still trying to shake off the "bust" label, which may be unfair. If his career continues on the path he is on now, he'd be a more than respectable NBA player.

He's still only 26 (or is it 27?), and Denver is the exact right spot for him. He's got 4 or 5 more years physically left to have a decent NBA career, so if he stays where he is, he could still do well. Let's hope for him.

Acymetric
12-07-2010, 09:19 PM

sagegrouse

We're on the same page here. My point is that what he has done is "more than respectable" meaning good, maybe great, but that injury free he would have been up there among the all time greats, which is significantly higher than where he'll end up now.

DevilHorns
12-07-2010, 11:15 PM
Duhon to Redick!

http://www.nba.com/video/games/magic/2010/12/06/0021000303_atl_orl_recap.nba/index.html

juise
12-08-2010, 12:50 AM
Grant had another nice night in a Suns loss (http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=301207022&refresh=30). He filled up the box score with 23 points, 8 boards, 2 assists, 2 steals, and 2 blocks.

snowdenscold
12-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Duhon to Redick!

http://www.nba.com/video/games/magic/2010/12/06/0021000303_atl_orl_recap.nba/index.html

Wow, some things don't change :D

hq2
12-08-2010, 11:16 AM
J.J. has been playing better lately. He's found his shooting touch recently, and is getting more minutes.

"I'm cold, Captain Yossarian..."...but who doesn't remember that?

juise
12-10-2010, 03:17 PM
I'm a little late on this and I know it's not actually the NBA, but Lance had a really nice game (23 points on 10-12FG, 3-3FT, best +/- on team) in a close win for the D-League's Austin Toros (http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20101207/AUSSXF/gameinfo.html). Here's hoping for more nights like that a call-up to The League.

DukieInBrasil
12-11-2010, 06:38 AM
I'm a little late on this and I know it's not actually the NBA, but Lance had a really nice game (23 points on 10-12FG, 3-3FT, best +/- on team) in a close win. Here's hoping for more nights like that a call-up to The League.
K said that he wouldn't be surprised to see LT in the League.
Speaking that, is there any news a bout Z? His fearsome beard could be put to good use by more than a few teams around the League, oh and his fearsome picks and Oboard skills too.
JJ continues to improve his game after a horrible start, admittedly brought on by health/back issues.
The Bulls continue to benefit from the addition of Boozer + Deng (oh and Rose is pretty good too ;) Although the Booz didn't put up huge numbers, I'm sure his 2x double was highly appreciated.

CameronBornAndBred
12-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Speaking that, is there any news a bout Z?
According to here, he's looking at Europe.

Former Duke center Brian Zoubek (http://www.realgm.com/src_playerfile/2493/brian_zoubek/) may start his professional basketball career in Europe very soon. According to the Greek media, Zoubek is close to signing a contract with Panelinios Athens.

http://hawks.realgm.com/src_feature_pieces/993/20101124/european_review_sean_may_iverson_meijia_rubio_&_more/

I looked up the team mentioned and Z is not listed on their roster.

moonpie23
12-13-2010, 08:04 AM
i mean, since he's gone to italy.......

does anyone have a quick update showing the DUKE vs. UNC NBA update?

i thought there was a link of some sort that showed the progress...

on rosters, time, points, money all that...

just curious.....it's changed a bit over the last few months...

moonpie23
12-13-2010, 07:34 PM
ok.....here's what i've got...

Duke: 14

Battier
Boozer
Brand
Deng
Duhon
Dunleavy
Henderson
Hill
Jones
Maggette
McBob
Redick
Williams(elliot)
Williams (shelden)

UNC: 11
Carter
Davis
Ellington
Felton
Hansbrough
Haywood
Jamison
Lawson
Williams(jawad)
Williams (marvin)
Wright

did i miss anyone? couldn't find shav and we know mccants is in the d league...

tommy
12-13-2010, 08:01 PM
Sorry if this has already been covered and I missed it. But I don't see Gerald Henderson's name at all in the Bobcats boxscores and haven't since, well, all year I think. I am assuming that he's got some kind of injury cuz he's not even getting garbage time minutes.

He was not in the rotation last year -- on a lousy team -- and hasn't played really at all this year. Not the kind of start to his career that he, or many here on the boards, would have hoped. He's not really gonna fall out, is he?

NSDukeFan
12-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Sorry if this has already been covered and I missed it. But I don't see Gerald Henderson's name at all in the Bobcats boxscores and haven't since, well, all year I think. I am assuming that he's got some kind of injury cuz he's not even getting garbage time minutes.

He was not in the rotation last year -- on a lousy team -- and hasn't played really at all this year. Not the kind of start to his career that he, or many here on the boards, would have hoped. He's not really gonna fall out, is he?

He has been injured and has just been cleared for practise, I believe.

Edit: found the link
Bobcats G Gerald Henderson (knee) said he's been cleared to return to practice Monday.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/gameflash/2010/12/11/28554_recap.html#ixzz182lqLAzc

theAlaskanBear
12-13-2010, 08:39 PM
In what is essentially a Duke reunion tour -- chitown is taking on the pacers. Boozer, Deng, McBob, Jones, Dunleavy.

Boozer has shown up to play -- 8pts and 7trb in the 1st quarter alone. Dahntay is got some burn in the 1st too.

yancem
12-13-2010, 08:39 PM

Battier
Boozer
Brand
Deng
Duhon
Dunleavy
Henderson
Hill
Jones
Maggette
McBob
Redick
Williams(elliot)
Williams (shelden)

Carter
Davis
Ellington
Felton
Hansbrough
Haywood
Jamison
Lawson
Williams(jawad)
Williams (marvin)
Wright

You forgot Rasheed Wallace.

SuperTurkey
12-13-2010, 08:53 PM
You forgot Rasheed Wallace.

He retired. You can tell because he's giving slightly less effort in games.

AlaskanAssassin
12-13-2010, 09:49 PM

Battier
Boozer
Brand
Deng
Duhon
Dunleavy
Henderson
Hill
Jones
Maggette
McBob
Redick
Williams(elliot)
Williams (shelden)

Carter
Davis
Ellington
Felton
Hansbrough
Haywood
Jamison
Lawson
Williams(jawad)
Williams (marvin)
Wright

elliot williams left to the nba as a memphis tiger, not a blue devil.

moonpie23
12-13-2010, 09:59 PM
well, true, but he is a former blue devil....

sheed is not listed on an nba roster....

AlaskanAssassin
12-13-2010, 10:14 PM
True, but I still wouldn't include him in the count. That's saying Rutgers including Jones because he was once a scarlet knight.

*and Rasheed retired.

moonpie23
12-13-2010, 10:21 PM
if i were a scarlet knight, i'd claim the human push up....

dukebluelemur
12-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Today's Bulls/Pacers game saw 5 Duke players combine for (by my count) 62 points and 43 rebounds.

Hansbrough got another DNPCD.

CameronBornAndBred
12-13-2010, 11:06 PM
True, but I still wouldn't include him in the count. That's saying Rutgers including Jones because he was once a scarlet knight.

I would have included Elliot also. The circumstances of his transfer were much different than Dahntay's.

gam7
12-13-2010, 11:28 PM

Battier
Boozer
Brand
Deng
Duhon
Dunleavy
Henderson
Hill
Jones
Maggette
McBob
Redick
Williams(elliot)
Williams (shelden)

Carter
Davis
Ellington
Felton
Hansbrough
Haywood
Jamison
Lawson
Williams(jawad)
Williams (marvin)
Wright

On page 4 of this thread, I listed the players from Duke, UNC and a bunch of other schools that were on opening day rosters. Your lists look correct, if you are counting Elliot Williams, which I did not. Carolina had 12 players on opening day rosters, but Jerry Stackhouse, who was on Miami's opening roster, was released by the Heat about a month ago.