PDA

View Full Version : Melo Mess

BD80
09-28-2010, 11:31 PM
I am relieved that Billy King has backed off of the plan for the Nets to acquire Carmelo Anthony. While he can be a great player, I don't trust him as a person. While he has been fine in Denver, I think that bad things will happen if Melo gets back to the east coast.

What amuses me is the mess they are making of things in Denver, alienating a hall-of-fame coach who has just survived cancer, and sitting on an asset in Melo while missing opportunities. The owner's 30-year old son, Josh Kroenke, and his adviser Bret Bearup are key players in the Melo dealings, and seem to have killed the recent deal with the Nets because they can't decide what they want:

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/24900717

An amusing note, apparently MJ screwed up in dumping Eric Dampier's non-guaranteed $13 million salary so quickly, it would have ensured that the 4-way deal would have been finalized by now.

JasonEvans
09-29-2010, 09:27 AM
The Nets path to getting Melo is to trade Derrick Favors and Devin Harris. Ummm, why would Melo like this deal? He's be going to a Nets team that really would only have one other decent player on the roster (Lopez). The only way the Nets are attractive to Melo is if they can keep a couple of their young studs to build around Melo.

I still think a deal with Chicago makes the most sense. Chicago balked at including Joakim Noah in the deal and wanted to send Deng to Denver instead. I know they love Noah in Chicago but they need to get this deal done. Putting Melo in a team with Boozer and Rose is a no-brainer to be a very strong team and a real championship contender. I guess the problem is that neither Melo nor Boozer are known for their defense, which is why the Bulls feel they need to keep Noah.

As an aside, I am not sure the Bulls really need Melo. I think their team is going to be quite studly without him. I don't think folks realize how good a season Deng had last year and how potent a lineup with him, Rose, Boozer, and Noah will be. Wait... I am wrong, this columnist for NBA.com (http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/steve_aschburner/09/28/luol.deng/?ls=iref:nbahpt1) did realize it.

Deng had a stronger year in 2009-10 than some people realize or others give him credit for. He averaged 17.6 points and a career-best 7.3 rebounds for the 41-41 Bulls, and opened eyes with some of his defensive work on James in the Chicago-Cleveland first-round series.

He did it in a system that, under coach Vinny Del Negro, too often planted Deng in a corner waiting for an outside jump shot that never came. Now under Tom Thibodeau, Deng is hoping to play on the move, cutting and slashing to highlight his athleticism. He had a physically encouraging summer, playing for Great Britain's national team and working out regularly after spending the 2009 offseason "on the couch" with a right tibia fracture.

"The one thing that I'm excited about is that I can go back to moving without the ball," Deng said. "From what I've seen that coach is trying to do, playing an inside game, I don't think we're going to do so much just on the perimeter. I think it will allow me a little bit to use my instincts and just play basketball."

-Jason "Deng, Boozer, and Rose could all average around 20 ppg next season" Evans

Trooper
09-29-2010, 09:44 AM
I still think a deal with Chicago makes the most sense. Chicago balked at including Joakim Noah in the deal and wanted to send Deng to Denver instead. I know they love Noah in Chicago but they need to get this deal done. Putting Melo in a team with Boozer and Rose is a no-brainer to be a very strong team and a real championship contender. I guess the problem is that neither Melo nor Boozer are known for their defense, which is why the Bulls feel they need to keep Noah.

-Jason "Deng, Boozer, and Rose could all average around 20 ppg next season" Evans

As a Bulls Fan who watches most of their games, I have no interest in giving up Noah in any deal for Melo. When he was healthy last year, he was an enormous defensive and rebounding force. And what most non-bulls fans don't realize is that he's actually very valuable on offense as well. His offensive rebounding gets a ton of extra possessions (a la Zoubs last year), and he's a great passer for a big man, which helps facilitate the offense. And the trade wouldn't be Melo straight up for Noah -- it's Melo & Deng for Noah...that's not even close to worth it.

Deng is underrated, and he's constantly derided even in Chicago because of his huge contract (4 years, $51MM), but I think it's mostly unfair. Yeah, maybe he is overpaid, but he also averaged 17 and 7 last year while playing great defense at the age of 24 (He's 25 now). That said, the Bulls have to do the deal that they are currently proposing if Denver ever gets desperate enough: Deng/Taj Gibson/Charlotte's 2012 #1 pick for Melo. I doubt Denver ever agrees to that, because they won't want Deng's contract. I actually think that deal would get done if Luol had 3 years and $25MM left on his contract.

The one thing about Deng's game that does bother me is his lack of 3pt shot. He's a great shooter from 21 feet, and the Bulls have desperately needed 3pt shooting the past couple of years that he hasn't been able to provide. Every summer, I hope that he's somewhere shooting 1,000 NBA threes a day to add that weapon to his game, but it hasn't happened (he's been hurt a couple summers). Now that we've got Rose/Boozer to run the pick and role and our two guard can't shoot (Ronnie Brewer), we need Luol to space the floor even more. He's been healthy all summer, so I really hope he has at least added the short corner three to his game, if not a legit 3pt shot from all over the court.

I was seriously bummed when the Magic matched JJ's offer sheet. He was the perfect 2 guard for this team...

jipops
09-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Deng had a stronger year in 2009-10 than some people realize or others give him credit for. He averaged 17.6 points and a career-best 7.3 rebounds for the 41-41 Bulls, and opened eyes with some of his defensive work on James in the Chicago-Cleveland first-round series.

I think Deng may have opened eyes with his defensive work on James in a bad way. LeBron destroyed Deng in the playoffs averaging 31.8 in the series while shooting well over 50%. Deng is one of those role players that can still fill up a stat sheet and provide some good defense (just not against LeBron) and doesn't disrupt any chemistry.

Starter
09-29-2010, 10:23 AM
I am relieved that Billy King has backed off of the plan for the Nets to acquire Carmelo Anthony. While he can be a great player, I don't trust him as a person. While he has been fine in Denver, I think that bad things will happen if Melo gets back to the east coast.

I agree with you that Denver is looking like they have David Kahn consulting for them. But I don't think acquiring Carmelo Anthony would be a bad thing for the Nets, or for Billy King. As a Knicks fan who covets Carmelo myself, I'd consider that to be a definitive swing in attention and the balance of power of New York basketball. The Nets have always been a red-headed stepchild in this area. (No offense to redheads, of which I am one) Getting a 30-point scorer and wildly popular player like Carmelo would mean a great deal -- not to mention that it would likely lead to Chris Paul in Jersey in two years. If King delivers all that, he's golden.

In terms of his personal behavior, Carmelo had a pot bust in 2006, the infamous brawl in the Garden and a DUI or something two years ago. He's not flawless. But he's not Mike Vick either. I'd worry if he were going to, say, DC. But I think he'd be okay around here hanging out with Amar'e, as long as he doesn't go all Plaxico in a club.

I do agree with a later poster though -- that trade made little sense for Melo on the surface, as he would get to Jersey and find a very weakened team and no draft picks. That said, Troy Murphy and Humphries come off the cap after this year, leaving 14 million free.

SilkyJ
09-29-2010, 01:21 PM
As an aside, I am not sure the Bulls really need Melo. I think their team is going to be quite studly without him. I don't think folks realize how good a season Deng had last year and how potent a lineup with him, Rose, Boozer, and Noah will be. Wait... I am wrong, this columnist for NBA.com (http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/steve_aschburner/09/28/luol.deng/?ls=iref:nbahpt1) did realize it.

Count me in this bucket. That starting lineup is going to be extremely potent. I think depth will be their main issue, but if Gibson and Johnson make solid improvements (they were both rookies last year, so I expect they will) they could have enough depth to compete in the playoffs. JJ would have really helped in that area, but oh well.

And if you give up Noah, who starts at center? Kurt Thomas? I say keep Noah for his hustle, defense, and rebounding and let your big-3 carry the scoring load. Worked for Duke this year :)

superdave
09-29-2010, 02:41 PM
Melo to the Knicks or Nets would likely keep him happy for a year or two until the teams could add assets. But Melo to the Rockets or Clips probably makes the most sense as both have nice rosters, expendable assets to pull off the trade, and could use his scoring to make the leap as a team.

Duke: A Dynasty
09-29-2010, 03:01 PM
I just hope he goes to the knicks to be with Amare and then when Chris Pauls contract ends he will follow them the NY to form the second "Big 3."

Cockabeau
09-29-2010, 03:04 PM

What amuses me is the mess they are making of things in Denver, alienating a hall-of-fame coach who has just survived cancer, and sitting on an asset in Melo while missing opportunities. The owner's 30-year old son, Josh Kroenke, and his adviser Bret Bearup are key players in the Melo dealings, and seem to have killed the recent deal with the Nets because they can't decide what they want:

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/24900717

An amusing note, apparently MJ screwed up in dumping Eric Dampier's non-guaranteed $13 million salary so quickly, it would have ensured that the 4-way deal would have been finalized by now.

I have never liked Melo. Either his game or his personality.Plus he has pointy elbows. I dont like that.

weezie
09-29-2010, 03:33 PM
I just hope he goes to the knicks to be with Amare and then when Chris Pauls contract ends he will follow them the NY to form the second "Big 3."

I thought Melo acquitted himself pretty well during the Olys. He seems to have grown up a bit. The above scenario would be pretty interesting for NYC. Definitely worth watching, especially if they spruce up MSG.