PDA

View Full Version : Best Stadiums Article: Top Five, Baby!

DukeUsul
09-28-2010, 01:43 PM
I have to take exception to some of the items in this list that DBR linked from the front page.

http://best.complex.com/lists/The-50-Stadiums-to-See-Before-You-Die/cameron-indoor-stadium

While I think Cameron coming in at #5 is quite reasonable, I object to the fact that #4 is the shrine to Jerry Jones' ego the new Cowboys Stadium. Not only does it beat out Cameron but it also beats out Centre Court at Wimbeldon? A stadium barely a year old that has only one claim to fame, that of being huge? I agree it should be on the list, but not #4.

I also think putting new stadiums like the Staples Center and Pac Bell park very high, while they are so young and only have such recent history (though both more than Cowboys Stadium) isn't right in my book. I like to give more credit to the history of a venue.

Duvall
09-28-2010, 01:58 PM
I have to take exception to some of the items in this list that DBR linked from the front page.

http://best.complex.com/lists/The-50-Stadiums-to-See-Before-You-Die/cameron-indoor-stadium

While I think Cameron coming in at #5 is quite reasonable, I object to the fact that #4 is the shrine to Jerry Jones' ego the new Cowboys Stadium. Not only does it beat out Cameron but it also beats out Centre Court at Wimbeldon? A stadium barely a year old that has only one claim to fame, that of being huge? I agree it should be on the list, but not #4.

I also think putting new stadiums like the Staples Center and Pac Bell park very high, while they are so young and only have such recent history (though both more than Cowboys Stadium) isn't right in my book. I like to give more credit to the history of a venue.

PacBell/AT&T/Whatever Park is a magnificent facility, so I don't have a problem with it getting a high ranking. Plus it doubles as a crime scene - how many other stadia can offer that?

mkline09
09-28-2010, 02:03 PM

Isn't Cowboys Stadium just a big tranformer? That is riddiculous that that stadium made it. The only list it should be on is the one where I'd rather die first than visit there.

rasputin
09-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Interesting that old Durham Athletic Park was on the list.

I was surprised to see Heinz Field (Steelers) on the list, but not PNC Park (Pirates). I've been to PNC, and I've been to many of the newer baseball stadia (although not new Yankee or where the Giants play), and PNC is spectacular.

4decadedukie
09-28-2010, 05:03 PM
"Yes, you'll be sitting next to a blue-haired trust funder (we'd say "obnoxious trust funder" but that's redundant, right?)"

What I most object to is the gratuitous, "journalistic" ridicule of Duke, with no legitimate factual basis. Over 40 percent of our undergraduates receive scholarships (and other financial assistance), and the numbers are even higher in the graduation and professional school ranks. Yet, best.complex.com wants to perpetuate an image of Duke that emphasis affluence, rudeness and arrogance. That's simply as dishonest as it self-serving and shameful.

lifelongdevil
09-28-2010, 06:02 PM
the picture they have for Old Trafford(#3) is actually the Camp Nou(FC Barcelona).

I wouldn't put too much thought into this ranking, the writers obviously didn't.

BD80
09-28-2010, 06:58 PM
Wow! The writer did a pretty thorough job! It takes awhile, but if you click through enough links you can get the entire list: 1 through 116,442.

The Dean Dome came in at 116,441, ahead of only the Jimmy Dean-Dome, a combination hog-racing venue and slaughterhouse built in 1953, and behind the largest porta-potty in the state of Texas.

DukeFanSince1990
09-28-2010, 08:26 PM
wow! The writer did a pretty thorough job! It takes awhile, but if you click through enough links you can get the entire list: 1 through 116,442.

The dean dome came in at 116,441, ahead of only the jimmy dean-dome, a combination hog-racing venue and slaughterhouse built in 1953, and behind the largest porta-potty in the state of texas.

:d:d:d:d:d

Duke: A Dynasty
09-29-2010, 09:51 AM

Well it says 50 stadiums to see before you die. And from everything I have heard it is amazing! Its not just about the history. Its where America's team plays, and its huge, and its very ver nice as well as high tech

BD80
09-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Well it says 50 stadiums to see before you die. And from everything I have heard it is amazing! Its not just about the history. Its where America's team plays, ...

Ahem. America's team plays in Pittsburgh.

It's like Jerry Jones calling himself a genius. Saying it don't make it so.

Ask the outnumbered Tampa Bay fans last Sunday who America's team really is.

GO STILLERS!

DukieInKansas
09-29-2010, 10:45 AM

GO STILLERS!

Didn't the Cowboys give themselves that nickname in the 70's? When they were losing to the Steelers in the Super Bowl. (or at least 2 Super Bowls.)

throatybeard
09-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Interesting that old Durham Athletic Park was on the list.

I was surprised to see Heinz Field (Steelers) on the list, but not PNC Park (Pirates). I've been to PNC, and I've been to many of the newer baseball stadia (although not new Yankee or where the Giants play), and PNC is spectacular.

Indeed, you see/hear lots of things from SI and ESPN that mention it as the best park in MLB.

09-29-2010, 03:05 PM

GO STILLERS!

No way lol. If its not the Cowboys then its deff not the Steelers. Im not a fan of either btw.

DukeUsul
09-29-2010, 04:51 PM
Well it says 50 stadiums to see before you die. And from everything I have heard it is amazing! Its not just about the history. Its where America's team plays, and its huge, and its very ver nice as well as high tech

I have no issue with it being on the list. It is something I'd love to see (the Eagles beating up on the Cowboys there, to be specific). But I can't buy that a stadium that is only a year old is more of a must see than Cameron or Wimbledon or any of a dozen other stadiums.

09-29-2010, 05:14 PM
I have no issue with it being on the list. It is something I'd love to see (the Eagles beating up on the Cowboys there, to be specific). But I can't buy that a stadium that is only a year old is more of a must see than Cameron or Wimbledon or any of a dozen other stadiums.

Yea I understand what your saying buts its just his opinion. I would rather see the Cowboys stadium over Wimbledon anyday imo. But that is just me.