PDA

View Full Version : This Year's Nolan?

airowe
09-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Obviously, Nolan got a huge bump in minutes last season with our dearth of guards. But even factoring in the increased minutes, Nolan increased his production dramatically.

We have a couple of obvious candidates for an increase in stats across the board in Andre and Ryan, but I wonder if Miles and Mason can embrace their new roles as the two top post players and take the crown of most improved player from our title run.

I have my opinion on who it will be, but I want to hear yours first.

roywhite
09-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Obviously, Nolan got a huge bump in minutes last season with our dearth of guards. But even factoring in the increased minutes, Nolan increased his production dramatically.

We have a couple of obvious candidates for an increase in stats across the board in Andre and Ryan, but I wonder if Miles and Mason can embrace their new roles as the two top post players and take the crown of most improved player from our title run.

Ryan Kelly.

His shooting touch, passing ability, and increased strength will give him more playing time, which in turn will lead to greater confidence and solid production.

mkline09
09-28-2010, 10:54 AM
I think Nolan was a guy who stepped up because Duke needed him to. The same can be said this year for either or both Plumlees. They need to both bring their game to the next level.

They don't have to be top 5 scorers but they need to rebound well, defend well, and bring energy when they are on the court. Essentially everything Zoubek and Lance did last year. They also need to finish. They have powerful moves and we know they can dunk, but haven't been always able to finish.

They have to stay out of foul trouble too.

I can see Ryan and Andre having strong seasons too, but the Plumlees growth, like Zoubek, Lance, and Nolan's last year is key.

Jderf
09-28-2010, 10:58 AM

I think it's between Ryan and Mason, and I might put my bet on Ryan. He can score in a variety of ways, but last year he didn't see much court time since he tended to get beaten up a bit on defense and he was our 5th big. This year, defensive superbeings Zoub and Lance are gone, moving him up to 3rd (or 2nd, as some suggest) in the rotation. He's also added some much needed muscle, which should help on the defensive end. I don't think his stat increase will be quite as striking (or as crucial) as Nolan's, but I think his numbers will more than justify calling it a breakout season.

kong123
09-28-2010, 10:58 AM
I think the 2 P's will improve their stats due to the presence of an elite point guard. I still think the offense will be run through the perimeter, but there will be more penetration and dishes than last year. I believe both P's will average close to double digits in scoring and at least one will average double digit rebounds. My guess would be Mason.

Jderf
09-28-2010, 11:02 AM
I think the 2 P's will improve their stats due to the presence of an elite point guard.

Small quibble: I'd say our point guard last year was fairly "elite." I would edit your statement to say, "due to the presence of a high speed point guard."

Jeff Frosh
09-28-2010, 11:02 AM
My vote is for Mason. Prior to his injury at the beginning of last season, many of us believed that Mason was going to be a big impact player. Given the typical freshman to sophomore improvement, which I think will be even greater for Mason, together with our different style of play which should compliment Mason's game, I see Mason having a big season. I trust that he and the coaching staff will figure out how to keep him out of foul trouble. I can picture many, many dunks for Mason on the fastbreak or off of Kyrie/Nolan penetration.

Bob Green
09-28-2010, 11:05 AM
I vote for Miles Plumlee who will be a beast inside this year. He will up his rebounds per game numbers from 5 to ~8. His scoring will go from 5.3 to ~8. With Miles Plumlee recording 8 & 8 in the box score on a consistent basis, Duke will be hard to handle.

Duke of Nashville
09-28-2010, 11:34 AM
I vote for Miles Plumlee who will be a beast inside this year. He will up his rebounds per game numbers from 5 to ~8. His scoring will go from 5.3 to ~8. With Miles Plumlee recording 8 & 8 in the box score on a consistent basis, Duke will be hard to handle.

I think everyone's role will certainly increase along with their stats. However, I like Andre to make the largest jump in playing time and putting points on the board. Here is why...

Andre was very efficient last year for having what most would call as a having a small role on a very good basketball team. Yet, Andre found ways to make big plays in big time situations. His athletic ability has not been fully tapped but we certainly saw flashes of what he is capable of doing on the floor.

His confidence should increase due to the fact that Kyrie, Tyler, and Josh (his peers) are now looking up to him for guidance and advice on Duke. Of course it doesn't hurt that he is a National Champion either. ; )

What I saw this summer were a few articles on Andre working out with Nolan Smith. Nolan is godsend and having that type of leadership and brotherhood can only develop Andre's game. Nobody can say that they have been in Andre's shoes, but what that kid went through last year is incomparable. What really impressed me is the fact that he dusted himself off, came back with heart, and helped an experienced basketball team win a National Championship.

With Seth Curry now eligible I see both players games rise to another level while pushing each other to greater expectations. These practices should be great to watch! What I look forward to the most is the story that these group of young men put together for 2011. Go DUKE! GTHC GTH.

Kedsy
09-28-2010, 11:34 AM
You know, it could be Nolan again. He could step it up to first team AA level. K has said as much in various interviews.

But in my opinion it will be Ryan. I do expect Miles and Mason to step it up to around 8 and 7 or 8 and 8, and I expect Andre to become a silent assassin from the outside. But the player who comes "out of nowhere" will be Ryan, who all of a sudden will get a lot of Tom Gugliotta comparisons.

Just my opinion, of course.

mkline09
09-28-2010, 11:38 AM
You know, it could be Nolan again. He could step it up to first team AA level. K has said as much in various interviews.

But in my opinion it will be Ryan. I do expect Miles and Mason to step it up to around 8 and 7 or 8 and 8, and I expect Andre to become a silent assassin from the outside. But the player who comes "out of nowhere" will be Ryan, who all of a sudden will get a lot of Tom Gugliotta comparisons.

Just my opinion, of course.

Gugliotta was a pretty damn good player so that wouldn't be a bad comparison at all.

detule
09-28-2010, 11:46 AM
I think the 2 P's will improve their stats due to the presence of an elite point guard. I still think the offense will be run through the perimeter, but there will be more penetration and dishes than last year.

I think the 2 P's will improve their stats due to having a(nother) year of experience under their belt and a hard-working off season.

A great point guard will certainly help, but they have put themselves in a position to take advantage of Kyrie's presence on the court.

Love the Plumlees - I'd take them over most any pair of big men in the ACC.

jipops
09-28-2010, 12:18 PM
My hope is for both Plumlees to make big jumps on the defensive end.

InSpades
09-28-2010, 01:01 PM
I think Mason has to be the most likely candidate. Nolan in his 1st 2 years showed flashes of brilliance but could never seem to put it together consistently. Last year it all just seemed to "click" for him and his "flashes" became pretty consistent.

Mason had very similiar flashes of brilliance in his 1st year. He just seems too talented not to have a breakout year. Of course many (Coach K and me included) thought that about Nolan in his sophomore year. I think Mason will benefit a lot from the increased playing time and the opportunities to finish around the rim he will get from playing with a different style of offense (the Plumlees seem built for a more up-tempo offense).

Aside from Mason I would guess Andre. The problem for Andre will be that there will be a lot more competition for playing time. I think he has the talent to really break out and be a star but it might have to wait until his junior year. I think Miles is going to continue his steady improvement, but I don't expect a real breakout year. It seems like everyone is really high on Ryan but I'm a bit more skeptical there.

flyingdutchdevil
09-28-2010, 01:06 PM
I think Mason has to be the most likely candidate. Nolan in his 1st 2 years showed flashes of brilliance but could never seem to put it together consistently. Last year it all just seemed to "click" for him and his "flashes" became pretty consistent.

I like this assessment. However, I would argue that Miles, and not Mason, showed the pieces last year. I really like Miles's game; if he stays out of foul trouble, I could easily see him being a ACC teamer.

I fully agree with Bob - 8&8 is a realistic goal and would place Miles as part of the "Core [xxx]" on the team (2,3,4, maybe 5).

DevilHorse
09-28-2010, 01:14 PM
0 to 14 ppg in 15 mpg. That will be the biggest statistical change, other then Kyrie's assists.

Larry
DevilHorse

cato
09-28-2010, 01:21 PM

I agree with Bob. Usually the player who makes the biggest leap is someone who has been very close, doing the right things almost, but not quite, consistently. That's the guy that is best suited to take a leap forward with increased minutes and responsibility.

Ryan Kelly is least likely to make a huge leap. It's a lot to ask a guy who was not a factor last year to suddenly be a huge part of the team. His minutes and stats will increase, but he will still be behind Miles, Singler and Mason in the front court rotation.

cato
09-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Of course many (Coach K and me included) thought that about Nolan in his sophomore year.

I'm not sure about K on that one, but certainly the fans. Year in, year out, fans expect too much, too soon from some players. In recent years, that lead people to be disappointed by Nolan in his Sophomore year and Demarcus, Zoubek and LT in their Junior years. All of those guys ended up fulfilling very high expectations, but it took time.

Tim1515
09-28-2010, 02:00 PM
Couldn't it be argued that Z had the bigger turnaround last year then Nolan?

If we are looking at a player who got minutes like Nolan did but took a leap in getting the most out of their abilities...i would go with Miles. The addition of a drive and dish PG will help Miles put a ton of points on the board.

IMO one of the biggest benefactors to Miles and Mason joining the team was Z because he had to play against big and talented players in practice for once. On this year's team with the addition of Seth, Tyler and Kyrie i think Andre takes the biggest step forward by the end of the season.

Billy Dat
09-28-2010, 03:50 PM
I do agree with the others who have pointed out that if we are answering the question based purely on where is the greatest incremental contribution going to come from, I
think you have to start with the 3 new starters who figure to be Kyrie, Miles and Mason. After that, I expect the winner of the Andre/Seth practice battle to get the most minutes and therefore have the next greatest impact. If that's 1-6, I figure 7-9 being Andre/Seth, Ryan and Hairston...and I don't see those later slots becoming "the next Nolan"

Wojo has really been hyping Miles in his recent comments, which has me really excited. I thought he was just on the brink of busting out last year, and had Lance and Z not been so irreplaceable, I think he would have turned that corner with additional minutes. Aside from his extraordinary athleticism, he also showed a decent touch on that elbow jumper. I have to admit, watching him, I often found myself thinking of the character Strap from 'Hoosiers', the preacher's son who came in during the state semi-final and, despite being told not to shoot, was pouring in the baskets. That's what I felt like when Miles would shoot, but I loved the kid's confidence on offense and he sank that shot more often then not. Obviously, he has to improve defensively so that he can stay on the court, but I am sure I am not the only one who thinks about him rising over Kyle's back for the monster slam against WVU and imagining Kyrie and Nolan lofting alley oops as he and his brother fill the lanes.

thenameisbond
09-28-2010, 04:19 PM
While there are plenty of candidates, I think the most likely two to have a significant jump in production are Ryan and Andre. Both had their moments as freshmen and both should see more minutes on the floor this season with the departures of Scheyer, Thomas and Zoubek. Both are excellent shooters and hopefully both have improved their strength over the summer (especially Ryan).

superdave
09-28-2010, 05:22 PM
I agree with Bob. Usually the player who makes the biggest leap is someone who has been very close, doing the right things almost, but not quite, consistently. That's the guy that is best suited to take a leap forward with increased minutes and responsibility.

Ryan Kelly is least likely to make a huge leap. It's a lot to ask a guy who was not a factor last year to suddenly be a huge part of the team. His minutes and stats will increase, but he will still be behind Miles, Singler and Mason in the front court rotation.

I think Miles is better prepared than Mason to be a defensive force because he's been in the system for two years. I can see Irving getting both Plums some easy buckets and Mason has a better offensive repertoire. But defense earns you playing time at Duke.

Cockabeau
09-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Nolan Smith was consistently our best player last year,imo. I just don't know if he will top his junior year-he was great all season. People forget that.

Duvall
09-28-2010, 06:29 PM
Nolan Smith was consistently our best player last year,imo. I just don't know if he will top his junior year-he was great all season. People forget that.

Well, that isn't actually true. For one thing, it's hard for anyone to be better than Scheyer was for the first couple months of the season, when he was playing better than anyone in the country. (You could probably divide the seasons into thirds pretty neatly, with Scheyer being Duke's best player during the first portion, Smith being Duke's best player during the second third, and Singler being Duke's best player during the last portion.) Smith did a lot of volume scoring early in the season, but it wasn't until ACC play that he started scoring efficiently enough to be considered an elite player. Fortunately for us, Nolan was able to sustain that success for the remainder of the season.

Greg_Newton
09-28-2010, 06:34 PM
The really exciting thing is how many possibilities there are. You could make a very strong case for four players, not even counting new players that should be very high-impact (Kyrie and Seth):

-Miles: He's got an NBA body, elite athleticism, and is coming off his first real season where he played a major role and sometimes started for a national championship team. He showed huge potential, but just seemed to be a half-step off on a lot of plays. Wojo has raved about his improvement over the summer, and complimented his leadership. Combine all this with an elite drive-and-dish PG and a beard, and you've got a recipe for a big leap.

-Mason: After being hailed as the most talented player on the team in last year's preseason, he got kind of a late start on college play after his injury. He was only able to play tentatively before January, so he was put in the unfortunate position of regaining strength and confidence in his wrist and getting used to the college game in the midst of tough ACC play. Now that he's got that experience, a summer of Duke training and workouts, and the confidence that comes with a healthy, strong body (knock on wood), he won't be starting from behind and thrown cold into the meat grinder like last year. He couldn't ask for a better opportunity to show everyone why he's a projected lottery pick who coaches and teammates have been raving about.

-Ryan: he's a long 6-10 with guard skills, a great shot, and elite passing ability... but he really didn't tap into any of that last year. He knew his limitations, and seemed to be the nervous, awkward, scrawny white kid just trying not to hurt the team when he was out there. But now, he looks to be a completely different player, both in stature and confidence. I have a feeling we'll see more of the flat-out baller he was in high school next year - if he can get comfortable enough with the speed and power of the college bball to start trusting his game and instincts again, you won't even recognize him from last year.

-Andre: actually, I'll defer to the arguments already made here. I have to admit... I'm a little more bearish on Andre than others. I really, really want him to succeed and thrive, but he has limitations. He's on the small side for a wing, and doesn't possess great quickness or handles for his size. He's good at dunking, and I think that leads people to conclude he's a better athlete than he is at times. I kind of think he needs to completely remake his body, JJ style - shed that baby fat and gain more lean muscle - before he becomes a a guy you can't keep off the floor. But it sounds like he's been working hard this summer, so I really, really hope I'm wrong. Lord knows he deserves it.

---

But when it comes down to it, I agree with Kedsy - I think it will be Nolan again. He is absolutely chiseled, and is playing with complete confidence and freedom. Plus, the new system and pace should be much more complimentary to his skills than a deliberate halfcourt chessmatch. I don't think there will be a better or more complete player in the entire country; Mack, Dunn, maybe Pullen, Fisher and Barnes are up there, but I'd take Nolan over pretty much anybody right now. I think he's that good.

sgdevil
09-28-2010, 06:44 PM
IMHO Dre will be the one to make a Nolan type jump this year. I think he has just scratched the surface of his potential.

Lord Ash
09-28-2010, 07:00 PM
I think Mason and Ryan will maybe step up the most.

Everyone knows how talented Mason is, but frankly, between the injury and the natural time it takes for a big to adapt, he got off to a slow start. However, I think he will improve quite a bit this year. Guys do usually improve on things like fouling and defensive positioning in the summer between their freshman and sophomore year, and I expect Mason will do the same. He has good hands, natural talent, and a decent shooting touch that was maybe ever so hurt by freshman nerves this year... I think next year he will be quite a bit better.

As for Ryan, I think he will get minutes, which is the major thing. He has great IQ, good hands, is an excellent passer, and despite a funky shooting form is a good enough shooter. I think Ryan will get enough minutes to really show a lot.

As much as I would like to see from Dre, I think he will simply not get the minutes needed to double his production, which is basically what Nolan did this year. Mason, however, could easily double his 3.7 point/game average, and even triple it, and Ryan should have no problem multiplying his 1 point per game average by six times:)

SupaDave
09-28-2010, 08:06 PM
I find it interesting that noone has mentioned Kyle. He most definitely still has room to grow and I think he could hit Battier proportions this year.

We should see a more consistent outside shot, better handles, points in transition, improved footwork and strength, increased perimeter skills, and an improvement in the rest of his all around game. He'll surely get the minutes to assert himself. I'm thinking Kyle could see many Player of the Year nods.

I have no doubt we'll score more points this year so everyone has a chance of improving their stats - but I think it will be Kyle who will have more than a few monster games.

Azdukefan
09-28-2010, 08:29 PM
-Andre: actually, I'll defer to the arguments already made here. I have to admit... I'm a little more bearish on Andre than others. I really, really want him to succeed and thrive, but he has limitations. He's on the small side for a wing, and doesn't possess great quickness or handles for his size. He's good at dunking, and I think that leads people to conclude he's a better athlete than he is at times. I kind of think he needs to completely remake his body, JJ style - shed that baby fat and gain more lean muscle - before he becomes a a guy you can't keep off the floor. But it sounds like he's been working hard this summer, so I really, really hope I'm wrong. Lord knows he deserves it.Posted by Greg_Newton

I find it odd that the only person you came down on was Dre. Of all the guys you listed; Miles, Mason, and Ryan (excluding Nolan), he made probably the most contributions last season. He single handidly kept us in the Wisconsin game and made huge shots against Baylor. The other three have more unknowns surrounding them. Can Miles not turn the ball over every time he touches it? Can Mason do something other than dunk? Did Ryan fix the mechanics on his shot? That being the case, watch out for LDII, Henson, Strickland, etc. because they have just as much potential to grow as Miles, Mason, and Ryan.

I guess my point is that Andre was further along (IMO) in his progress towards being a complete player than the other three. If we are looking for most room to grow, why not go with Casey Peters? Just my thought.

*Not sure if you can tell but I am huge Dawkins fan.

Bob Green
09-28-2010, 08:30 PM
I find it interesting that no one has mentioned Kyle. He most definitely still has room to grow.....

No question Singler has the potential to be National player of the Year as a senior. IMO, no one is mentioning him in this thread because the context is "major improvement" and Singler has played at an extremely high level all three previous years. I for one am not forgetting about Singler and I doubt anyone else is but your point is definitely a valid one. Singler has the potential to explode this season.

Newton_14
09-28-2010, 09:50 PM
I find it odd that the only person you came down on was Dre. Of all the guys you listed; Miles, Mason, and Ryan (excluding Nolan), he made probably the most contributions last season. He single handidly kept us in the Wisconsin game and made huge shots against Baylor. The other three have more unknowns surrounding them. Can Miles not turn the ball over every time he touches it? Can Mason do something other than dunk? Did Ryan fix the mechanics on his shot? That being the case, watch out for LDII, Henson, Strickland, etc. because they have just as much potential to grow as Miles, Mason, and Ryan.

I guess my point is that Andre was further along (IMO) in his progress towards being a complete player than the other three. If we are looking for most room to grow, why not go with Casey Peters? Just my thought.

*Not sure if you can tell but I am huge Dawkins fan.

Sorry but I cannot agree here. First, I don't feel Greg "came down" on Andre. He stated that he really wanted Andre to succeed, and he listed what he felt were weaknesses that Andre needs to work on, without attacking Andre. I thought it was a very fair assessment without being overly negative.

But the big thing is, I just cannot see how you feel Andre made more contributions than Miles or Mason last season. I say that even though I have said myself that I am not sure we win the ACC title game without Andre, or the Baylor game without Andre. His contributions in those 2 games, though not overwhelming in terms of minutes played and stats, were crucial. Small but crucial.

But in no way did Andre make more contributions over the course of the season, or even the course of the 2 tourney's than did Mason and especially Miles. Miles Plumlee started 24 games, played in 40 games, played in both halves in all 40 games, averaged 5 points and right at 5 boards per game in 16.5 mpg.

Miles played even better than that until he hit a slump right after the Wake game in which he scored 19 points and pulled 14 boards. Starting in the 2nd half of the unc game in Cameron, he started playing better, and played solid both in the ACC and NCAA tourney's. If you go back and watch the tourney games, especially the Baylor and WVU games, Miles played really well, providing solid D and rebounding.

Mason had his moments throughout the year but like someone else posted, missing the early season games killed Mason's development and put him in a hole. He still found a way to make contributions, and provided good defense and rebounding in both tournaments. Mason made a couple of bad plays on defense in the Baylor game that I feel cause folks to forget he actually played well for the most part in that game and several of the other tourney games. He did not play as well as his brother, and Mason has further to go than Miles, but I am confident he can get there.

I am also confident that Andre can build on his progress and become a very good player over his career, but there is no way in good faith that I can say Andre outperformed Miles and Mason last season.

InSpades
09-28-2010, 10:03 PM
I find it odd that the only person you came down on was Dre. Of all the guys you listed; Miles, Mason, and Ryan (excluding Nolan), he made probably the most contributions last season.

Miles started 20+ games last year. He played significant minutes in almost every game all year. If you just want to look at major impact in a game... he had 19 points and 14 rebounds against Wake.

As for people bringing up Kyle and Nolan... what do you expect them to do next year? I'm not sure that type of improvement is even possible, especially with how much they will be sharing the ball next year.

flyingdutchdevil
09-29-2010, 08:25 AM
But when it comes down to it, I agree with Kedsy - I think it will be Nolan again. He is absolutely chiseled, and is playing with complete confidence and freedom. Plus, the new system and pace should be much more complimentary to his skills than a deliberate halfcourt chessmatch. I don't think there will be a better or more complete player in the entire country; Mack, Dunn, maybe Pullen, Fisher and Barnes are up there, but I'd take Nolan over pretty much anybody right now. I think he's that good.

Could not agree more. What amazes me about Nolan is his progress year after year. Although many believe that his freshman-to-sophomore improvement wasn't that impressive, he was extremely impressive before ACC play and, when ACC play started, the team enjoyed playing "Gerald watching," especially Nolan. IMO, Nolan's sophomore-to-junior improvement was more impressive than JJ's. While I don't expect Nolan to increase his scoring average by another 10 points, I do expect him to be incredibly more efficient, especially in an up-tempo game.

Also, I can't help but be bias towards Nolan, even within the team itself. Nolan's off-the-court presence is amazing and his interviews are always genuine, powerful, and interesting. I'm pretty sure that, by the end of the year, he will be my favorite Dukie of all time. I just hope he leads this team to another NC! That would guarantee his jersey being retired, right?

davekay1971
09-29-2010, 09:48 AM
Mason Plumlee.

First of all, he's going to have the opportunity for big jump in playing time. Coach K has probably been getting the message through, loud and clear, to both Plumlees that they are our inside game. I think Miles had a tendency to defer to Zoubs, and I think Mason was just learning college hoops last year, and both brothers had a comfort zone with Zoubs and Lance being there. Both of those guys are going to be told that they're the inside game now, and I think they'll both respond well to that.

Secondly, our game will be much more end-to-end this year, and Mason can run the court. He's going to flourish with Kyrie and Nolan finding him on the break and we're going to see some thundering finishes.

Mason has the talent to really explode this year. He's been projected as a NBA player, and we've seen him flash the tools, but inconsistently (not surprising in his freshman year). With that year of experience, with role that Coach K will ask of him, and with the change in our style of play, expect him to be a force this year.

As long as he remembers to play defense...

Duvall
09-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Also, I can't help but be bias towards Nolan, even within the team itself. Nolan's off-the-court presence is amazing and his interviews are always genuine, powerful, and interesting. I'm pretty sure that, by the end of the year, he will be my favorite Dukie of all time. I just hope he leads this team to another NC! That would guarantee his jersey being retired, right?

I shouldn't think so. Two good years are not enough.

oldnavy
09-29-2010, 12:07 PM
You know what? I am not even sure who I think will have a breakout year. Last year my gut told me that Nolan would be the key and he came through in a big way. Zoubs was an unexpected surprise to me.

I have to smile while reading ALL the possibilities listed in this thread!! I am very excited about this year and the potential this team has!! Anyone of the guys mentioned or all of them could show great improvement over last year - hang on, this should be a FUN season!! GO DUKE!!!

ice-9
09-29-2010, 12:28 PM
My theory is that for a player to have a "breakout" season (i.e. a star season after a journeyman one), that player needs a combination of top tier talent and the right opportunity to consistently use that talent. To me the two players on the team that fit that description best are Mason and Ryan -- both have NBA potential talent, and both will see more playing time next season.

However, I give the nod to Mason. Ryan is a better scorer than Mason, but we have a lot of scoring threats on next year's team in Nolan, Singler, Curry and Kyrie. Ryan/Mason wouldn't be needed to score in double figures every game. Therefore, Mason's court awareness and passing abilities will come at a premium (imagine guards cutting in for uncontested buckets, or shooters getting the ball zipped to them for the open jumper!). His bigger size and athletcisim will also be advantages when it comes to defense, rebounding and shotblocking.

Kedsy
09-29-2010, 12:42 PM
My theory is that for a player to have a "breakout" season (i.e. a star season after a journeyman one), that player needs a combination of top tier talent and the right opportunity to consistently use that talent. To me the two players on the team that fit that description best are Mason and Ryan -- both have NBA potential talent, and both will see more playing time next season.

However, I give the nod to Mason. Ryan is a better scorer than Mason, but we have a lot of scoring threats on next year's team in Nolan, Singler, Curry and Kyrie. Ryan/Mason wouldn't be needed to score in double figures every game. Therefore, Mason's court awareness and passing abilities will come at a premium (imagine guards cutting in for uncontested buckets, or shooters getting the ball zipped to them for the open jumper!). His bigger size and athletcisim will also be advantages when it comes to defense, rebounding and shotblocking.

I think you are selling Ryan short. From what I've seen, he has much better court awareness and passing ability than Mason. And they're about the same size (Ryan is listed at 6'11", 235; Mason at 6'10" 240). Last year their shot blocking per 40 was about the same (Mason at 2.50; Ryan at 2.47). Mason rebounded better in 2009-10 (8.67 per 40 vs. 6.69 per 40) and he certainly has superior athleticism, although at least last year that didn't translate into defensive ability.

They are very different players. Mason reminds me of an Amare Stoudemire type, while Ryan makes me think of Tom Gugliotta. I think Mason has more NBA upside, but until we see which of them has advanced more on the defensive end, we won't know who is more likely to break out this season.

DukieInBrasil
09-29-2010, 01:48 PM
They are very different players. Mason reminds me of an Amare Stoudemire type, while Ryan makes me think of Tom Gugliotta. I think Mason has more NBA upside, but until we see which of them has advanced more on the defensive end, we won't know who is more likely to break out this season.
I love our team and I certainly hope these kids enjoy playing as much as I love pulling for Duke but let's temper the comparisons a bit ok? Mason has a load of potential but Amare Stoudemire is an NBA All-star and just a total stud on the court. Ryan also has a very nice game, reputedly, but Tom Gugliotta was an All-ACC performer and had a nice NBA career.
I understand what you're getting at, but I'd just hate to see us load up the guys that we're pulling for with comparisons to guys who were/are beyond successful as players. I mean, neither Mason nor Ryan have started a game for Duke yet and have shown that they have a lot to learn and have a lot of room to grow.

Kedsy
09-29-2010, 02:26 PM
I love our team and I certainly hope these kids enjoy playing as much as I love pulling for Duke but let's temper the comparisons a bit ok? Mason has a load of potential but Amare Stoudemire is an NBA All-star and just a total stud on the court. Ryan also has a very nice game, reputedly, but Tom Gugliotta was an All-ACC performer and had a nice NBA career.
I understand what you're getting at, but I'd just hate to see us load up the guys that we're pulling for with comparisons to guys who were/are beyond successful as players. I mean, neither Mason nor Ryan have started a game for Duke yet and have shown that they have a lot to learn and have a lot of room to grow.

It's a style of play thing. That's who they remind me of when I watch them play. I'm not saying they're that good yet or that they'll ever be that good. (However, it may be worth pointing out that Gugliotta scored 2 ppg and had 1.3 rpg as a freshman and wasn't as highly regarded as Ryan coming out of high school.)

MChambers
09-29-2010, 02:31 PM
It's a style of play thing. That's who they remind me of when I watch them play. I'm not saying they're that good yet or that they'll ever be that good. (However, it may be worth pointing out that Gugliotta scored 2 ppg and had 1.3 rpg as a freshman and wasn't as highly regarded as Ryan coming out of high school.)
We can dream, can't we? Googs was a heck of a player, and I agree that Ryan has a similar style.

Cockabeau
09-29-2010, 03:03 PM
Nolan might even be a better player than his JR. season. However please do not be disappointed if he has a year that isn't as good as his junior year. Nolan was spectacular ALL season for Duke. Nolan Smith turned out to be one of the gems of the class along with Kyle Singler. 4 year studs....awesome.

Gthoma2a
09-29-2010, 03:20 PM
I hope the Plumlees have the biggest step up. The reason I don't think Kelly will do it is that Ryan doesn't have the mean streak needed to be a big man. He is very talented. The Plumlees have a similar problem IMO. At times last year, they looked like they thought of themselves as backup players. They never decided to throw everything at it. They have tons of talent and raw athleticism. I want to see them step up their attitudes next year. That is what is missing for them to succeed at the highest level of college basketball (Zoubs and Lance learned it). I think Andre will improve a lot, but he has people in his way of doing enough. In the case of the Plumlees, they need to realize that you never know how smart you are until you open your mouth. They need to do some proverbial talking during games this year for us to be as strong as possible.

DukeDiva
09-29-2010, 04:58 PM
I didn't see this anywhere so I apologize if this has already been posted.

http://ampersandthreads.bigcartel.com/product/ndotsmitty-for-president

CameronBornAndBred
02-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Two weeks left in the regular season, and as of now it appears that Ryan is getting K's vote.

"He's a key player for us in his sophomore year," Krzyzewski said. "I'm not sure anybody in the league has improved more than Ryan Kelly. He's a very good player, and he'll keep getting better because he's smart and is a hard worker, and he doesn't play outside of himself."

http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/11518392/article-Devils-look-to-avoid-an-ACC-sting?instance=main_article

Jderf
02-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Two weeks left in the regular season, and as of now it appears that Ryan is getting K's vote.

"He's a key player for us in his sophomore year," Krzyzewski said. "I'm not sure anybody in the league has improved more than Ryan Kelly. He's a very good player, and he'll keep getting better because he's smart and is a hard worker, and he doesn't play outside of himself."

http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/11518392/article-Devils-look-to-avoid-an-ACC-sting?instance=main_article

The key aspect of that quote is the very last clause: "he doesn't play outside himself." Ryan, to me, seems to be very aware of what he's capable of doing at any given time, and rarely does he chunk up a shot that makes you think, "Yeesh, that was ugly." He plays smart and takes what is given to him by the situation, almost never forcing things.

That's a pretty valuable attribute -- one that, to be honest, isn't really shared by many others on the team, at least not to the same extent. All in all, Ryan has done really well in somewhat limited playing time this season (19 mpg), though K's quote suggests that number may go up soon.