PDA

View Full Version : Duke @ Maryland Pre-game and In-game Thread

Bob Green
09-28-2010, 08:09 AM
Our Blue Devils travel to Maryland this Saturday to take on the Terps with a chance to even our ACC record. Obviously, we cannot afford turnovers. Maryland is last in the ACC in total offense averaging 106 less yards per game than Duke. We need to take care of the football and convert the yards advantage into an advantage where it counts - on the scoreboard!

CameronBornAndBred
09-28-2010, 08:54 AM
Obviously, we cannot afford turnovers.

I'm confident that we can win this game as long as we don't give it away. My guess is we'll come out pissed off and handle business. I think Renfree will show us more of the game he had versus Wake. That's good news about them being last in the ACC on offense..my guess is they are licking our chops thinking about how bad our D is, but as some have noted we did pretty well against the run last game..it's still our secondary that continues to struggle. Hard to stop your man if you are nowheres near him.

mkline09
09-28-2010, 09:14 AM
I'm not going to predict a Duke victory here because, well I did it last week and they lost. I'm a wee bit supersitious so I won't be doing that again.

Yes they can beat Maryland but their defense is going to have to step up and the offense has to wake up. Balanced is good but trying to hard to be a running team and not working to your strengths hurts the continuity of the offense.

Work the reciever out on the edge, utilize the speed, sneak in some runs and take a few shots down field. Renfree has been fixating on hi receivers and telegraphing or forcing some throws. He needs to go through his progression and for the most part has plenty of time to do that. If Duke can wake up the offense I believe they can win.

Bob Green
09-28-2010, 07:30 PM
Here are a couple of links to articles on one of two Maryland quarterbacks we will likely face on Saturday:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/17/AR2010091702991.html

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/bs-sp-terps-football-0927-20100926,0,3461842.story

Plus, the Baltimore Sun has a general Duke vs. Maryland article posted as well:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/bs-sp-terps-football-notebook-0929-20100928,0,482777.story

Both the Washington Post and Baltimore Sun have decent ACC coverage in their sports sections.

CameronBornAndBred
09-28-2010, 08:32 PM
Both the Washington Post and Baltimore Sun have decent ACC coverage in their sports sections.
One of the blessings of going to a school in D.C....got to see Duke play plenty (even back in the lat 80's) on tv and could still read a good writeup before their games..football and basketball.

pbc2
09-29-2010, 08:04 AM
My biggest concern is going to be the combination of O'Brien and Smith. The defense has got to stop giving up the "home run" plays. Even in a better effort against Army, we still gave up big pass plays for TDs, and I think it further deflated the team.

The best thing that could happen to us is to get an early lead. Getting behind quickly will not help the team's confidence.

Battierfan01
09-29-2010, 10:41 AM
The best thing that could happen to us is to get an early lead. Getting behind quickly will not help the team's confidence.

I agree. We got behind early in the Army game and tried to force a lot of things on offense, which only led to more turnovers. I think the team would be a lot more relaxed if we are not trying to play "catch-up" the whole game.

mkline09
09-30-2010, 10:29 AM
Heather Dinich has predicted a Maryland win. Giving how Duke has played of late I can't say I would disagree at this point. Here is hoping they show something on Saturday.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/15882/page/thursday-predictions/week-5-predictions-2

jimsumner
09-30-2010, 02:41 PM
LB Adam Banks (leg) – QUESTIONABLE

NG Tevin Hood (foot) – QUESTIONABLE

LB Damian Thornton (leg) – QUESTIONABLE

TE Brett Huffman (leg) – OUT

S Taylor Sowell (leg) – OUT

CB Johnny Williams (head) – OUT

S Quan Stevenson (leg) – OUT FOR SEASON

Reilly
09-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Thanks for posting. 6/7 on D. D's been shaky -- can we afford to lose 'em? D's been shaky -- maybe no great loss to let somebody else try?

devildeac
09-30-2010, 02:51 PM
LB Adam Banks (leg) – QUESTIONABLE

NG Tevin Hood (foot) – QUESTIONABLE

LB Damian Thornton (leg) – QUESTIONABLE

TE Brett Huffman (leg) – OUT

S Taylor Sowell (leg) – OUT

CB Johnny Williams (head) – OUT

S Quan Stevenson (leg) – OUT FOR SEASON
Longest list of the season, IIRC. Never saw a list from last week. Are these new or old injuries or a combination of the two? I was aware of Williams.

jimsumner
09-30-2010, 03:50 PM
Longest list of the season, IIRC. Never saw a list from last week. Are these new or old injuries or a combination of the two? I was aware of Williams.

Banks didn't play last week and Williams still is recovering from his concussion. Huffman has been out awhile.

Duke is required to send out injury reports for ACC games but not non-conference games.

Bob Green
09-30-2010, 09:56 PM
Here is a short article from the Washington Post, which I agree with 100 percent:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/terrapins-insider/2010/09/turnover_margin_tells_the_stor.html

Maryland is 3-1 because of turnover margin. Duke is 1-3 because of turnover margin.

We must take care of the football this Saturday! The losses to Wake Forest and Army can be directly contributed to too many turnovers.

davekay1971
09-30-2010, 10:14 PM
For a team like ours turnovers are absolutely critical. Our defense is young and inexperienced and can't be put in a bad position (ie: a short field after a turnover). Our QB is young, as good as he is, and may struggle trying to force a come-from-behind effort. Our offense, actually, has enough big-play potential to come back when we're behind, but they need to be efficient and capitalize on our possessions to provide some cushion for the defense.

Maryland is an opportunity for a win. It'll be a tough game. We have to eliminate the mental errors and turnovers to have a chance to win.

watzone
10-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Nice in depth preview from Patrick Cacchio on the game - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/10/bdn-previews-duke-at-maryland/

RelativeWays
10-01-2010, 11:59 PM
I just want to see the team do two things tomorrow.

1. Portect the football (no turnovers)

2. Play with some fire and passion, especially on D

I think a lot of the other things will take care of themselves if those two things occur. This 1-3 start has been rough but could have been prevented. Now, to focus on those two things, and possibly get a win into the bye would be great.

DevilHorns
10-02-2010, 01:09 PM
I live in Maryland and it appears the Duke game won't be televised (I can't find it on my Directtv programming guide).

I'll have to watch it online on ESPN3.. bizarre that the local team won't be on tv.

Bob Green
10-02-2010, 04:15 PM
I'll be interested to see if the Coaching staff makes adjustments to our passing game today. Specifically, we have not had much success on the quick slant routes the pass two weeks. Alabama took Conner Vernon out of the game with a great CB and double teams, while Army picked off passes on those routes. Perhaps Coach Cutcliffe will look to stretch the defense vertically early in the game.

Acymetric
10-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Is ESPN3 working for anyone? I've tried in all 3 browsers on 2 different computers with no luck (it'll take me to the screen to watch the games, but the part where video should be remains blank).

Indoor66
10-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Is ESPN3 working for anyone? I've tried in all 3 browsers on 2 different computers with no luck (it'll take me to the screen to watch the games, but the part where video should be remains blank).

I've got it here in South Florida - no problem. I am on Comcast.

DevilHorns
10-02-2010, 06:10 PM

Its working fine for me (using google chrome)

DevilHorns
10-02-2010, 06:22 PM
3-0 good guys, some long passes for a pretty satisfying drive, wish we could've gotten the TD but 3 is better than nothing.

Let's see how MD responds. Come on Defense!

Acymetric
10-02-2010, 06:33 PM
I am so [ticked] right now. ESPN3 is supposed to be available on college campuses, where I live. It lets me get to the window to watch the games, but no video streams (rest of the page loads). Really frustrating.

Glad to see we got 3 on the board though. Go Devils!

DevilHorns
10-02-2010, 06:41 PM
I am so [ticked] right now. ESPN3 is supposed to be available on college campuses, where I live. It lets me get to the window to watch the games, but no video streams (rest of the page loads). Really frustrating.

Glad to see we got 3 on the board though. Go Devils!

If it lets you get to the window to watch the games then I'm guessing you have a plug-in problem (as opposed to just denying you and giving you a message that says you don't qualify for whatever reason for the video coverage). Are you sure all your browser plug-ins/codecs are up to date?

You could also try justintv?

Update: 6-0 good guys. Frustrating as a great drive ends in a 3rd and 12 that looked very open for a TD (slightly overthrown, but Varner got his hands on it, and IMO, should've snatched it). Hope these FGs that should've been TDs don't end up biting us in the butt.

DevilHorns
10-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Update: 9-0 good guys. Snyderwine is doing his best JJ impression. Renfree got hit hard from the blindside on 2nd down, fumbled, but thankfully recovered by Scott. On 3rd and 19 a smart play to get good yards on a dump throw to set up a short field goal.

riverside6
10-02-2010, 07:05 PM
live stats and play analysis for the game here...

http://www.scacchoops.com/FB_ViewHDGame.asp?hGame=357&bView=0

mkline09
10-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Much better effort so far. Need to convert Red zone chances into touchdowns. Defense is sounding better.

DevilHorns
10-02-2010, 07:23 PM
9-7 good guys.

What a frustrating half given how much we dominated all but the last 4-5 minutes of the game so far. Could be anywhere from 28-0 to 9-7. And its 9-7. The important thing is our defense is playing well overall. Let's see if we can keep it up. I like our effort so far.

loran16
10-02-2010, 07:26 PM
I can't be the only one who wishes Coach Cut would you know, actually try to go for it at times?

1:12 left, at least 2 time outs ( i think all 3) left, and Cut just runs it meekly and lets time expire. GO FOR THE JUGULAR! Make some momentum going into half!

CameronBornAndBred
10-02-2010, 07:34 PM
I can't be the only one who wishes Coach Cut would you know, actually try to go for it at times?

1:12 left, at least 2 time outs ( i think all 3) left, and Cut just runs it meekly and lets time expire. GO FOR THE JUGULAR! Make some momentum going into half!
Agreed and you aren't. That's frustrating. All running plays..hell we've moved the ball very well passing tonight. Arrrgh!

loran16
10-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Agreed and you aren't. That's frustrating. All running plays..hell we've moved the ball very well passing tonight. Arrrgh!

Join us in snrubchat CB&B. Need more people there.

CameronBornAndBred
10-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Join us in snrubchat CB&B. Need more people there.
I would but ctn's chatroom is keeping me busy. I'll stop in before game's end.

Greg_Newton
10-02-2010, 07:56 PM

It's okay though, because we came out guns blazing in the 3rd quarter as usual...

mkline09
10-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Maryland has gained the momentum. Looks like another bad 3rd quarter for Duke again.

Greg_Newton
10-02-2010, 08:17 PM
They are absolutely dominating us on special teams today.

PDDuke85
10-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Oh boy,
More tackling practice this week.

Hate to say it but Duke is looking more and more like...Duke

mkline09
10-02-2010, 08:38 PM
I had anticipated a drop off this season with so many new guys. Not sure I expected this though. The offense clicks for periods then goes cold. The defense showed moments tonight against Maryland which gives you hopes for the future, but too many young guys with little experience.

Another loss and many of us are thinking this looks like the Duke of old but I think we have better days to look forward to. Just not sure it will come this year.

killerleft
10-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Down by 5 with 7:20 left.

Richard Berg
10-02-2010, 08:53 PM
I still don't like the punt in the 4th quarter against Army. Not one bit. And yes, most of today's 2nd half has been a total disaster.

However:
1) the conservatism at the end of the 1st half today was the right play. we were gonna get the ball back in the exact same spot (or better) to open the 2nd half, without any time constraints, and plenty of chance for the O to refocus during the break.
2) if you don't think Cut/Renfree have testicular fortitude, how 'bout that pass on 4th & 19? heck yeah!

killerleft
10-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Duke with ball on own 19 with 4:16 left down by 5.

6th Man
10-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Down 5 and the defense forced a punt. One good drive away....

mkline09
10-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Where did this come from. Go Duke!

killerleft
10-02-2010, 09:04 PM
4th down conversion with 2:35 left at M 45. 1st

Richard Berg
10-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Varner drops a pass that would've been 1st down at the 20, if not a TD since he had great position to run.

Now 4th & 15 at about the 40.

killerleft
10-02-2010, 09:09 PM
4th down and 15, at M 38 with 2:00 left.

killerleft
10-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Pass incomplete. M ball :(

6th Man
10-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Too bad...but, on a positive note...sounded better than the Army game.

theman5207
10-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Pass incomplete. M ball :(

I only got to watch on Gamecast - how many of the incompletes were drops? Did the receivers perform better or worse than in previous games?

CameronBornAndBred
10-02-2010, 09:15 PM
poop

CLW
10-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Good to see the defense play much better. Settling for field goals instead of TDs was the difference in the game.

I'm very impressed with Renfree and Vernon.