PDA

View Full Version : P gets an extension

-jk
09-24-2010, 07:59 PM
Coach McCallie got a contract extension through 2016-17 (http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_8545/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=tWAswcPa).

-jk

Indoor66
09-24-2010, 08:32 PM
Coach McCallie got a contract extension through 2016-17 (http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_8545/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=tWAswcPa).

-jk

A very wise decision, IMO. I think she has earned the extension.

Kedsy
09-24-2010, 11:11 PM
She deserves it. All the people who said she couldn't recruit look kind of silly now.

miramar
09-25-2010, 10:51 AM
I think she has earned an extension, and I'm all for stability, but seven years seems long to me.

Maybe it's just me, but I also found White's comments a bit strange: "Joanne has won an ACC Championship and her teams have performed at a consistently high level."

I would have given her three years and gone out and hired an offensive coordinator.

Indoor66
09-25-2010, 11:03 AM
I think she has earned an extension, and I'm all for stability, but seven years seems long to me.

Maybe it's just me, but I also found White's comments a bit strange: "Joanne has won an ACC Championship and her teams have performed at a consistently high level."

I would have given her three years and gone out and hired an offensive coordinator.

I don't understand your post. Please expand.

miramar
09-25-2010, 04:58 PM
I don't understand your post. Please expand.

I'm glad she got the extension and hope that she and the team have every success, but that just seems like a very long extension to me (just one man's opinion, of course). Nevertheless, I could understand a long extension once she establishes Duke as the top program in the conference and has more success in the NCAAs.

I found White's comments unusual in the sense that Duke WBB was one of the elite programs in the country and the expectation was the Coach P would continue that performance and ideally improve on it (that last part was asking a lot since improvement could only mean a national championship). One conference championship and a consistently high level is fine, but it seems that he is saying that she has basically done OK.

The team has played lock down defense and crashed the boards really well, but it has had a lot of offensive problems. I think Sendek used to have an assistant who was an unofficial offensive coordinator for a while, and that may be a solution for Duke. Anything to avoid elimination in the NCAAs while shooting 26.9% and 23.1%.

Incidentally, I'm not surprised that recruiting has improved. She only had two real recruiting classes since this year's seniors were recruited by Coach G, so I expected it to turn around fairly quickly.

killerleft
09-27-2010, 09:04 AM
I'm glad she got the extension and hope that she and the team have every success, but that just seems like a very long extension to me (just one man's opinion, of course). Nevertheless, I could understand a long extension once she establishes Duke as the top program in the conference and has more success in the NCAAs.

I found White's comments unusual in the sense that Duke WBB was one of the elite programs in the country and the expectation was the Coach P would continue that performance and ideally improve on it (that last part was asking a lot since improvement could only mean a national championship). One conference championship and a consistently high level is fine, but it seems that he is saying that she has basically done OK.

The team has played lock down defense and crashed the boards really well, but it has had a lot of offensive problems. I think Sendek used to have an assistant who was an unofficial offensive coordinator for a while, and that may be a solution for Duke. Anything to avoid elimination in the NCAAs while shooting 26.9% and 23.1%.

Incidentally, I'm not surprised that recruiting has improved. She only had two real recruiting classes since this year's seniors were recruited by Coach G, so I expected it to turn around fairly quickly.

Perhaps (much like Coach K, in fact, exactly like Coach K) she brought in her own system that required players of the type she did not have upon arrival. She lost some games and confused some players. It was not good enough to score points and rest on defense. Defense was the priority, and the players eventually responded.

Let's see what she can do with "McCallie-type" players. It may turn out we don't need an offensive coordinator after all.

But, yes, our offense has been painful to watch at times.