PDA

View Full Version : 'Ol Roy's Chair Taping

trinity92
09-23-2010, 12:39 PM
Does anyone else absolutely burn when they see the masking tape over the "Duke" on Roy's chair when the heels come to Cameron? It makes me apoplectic. Is there any precedent for this anywhere in college basketball? Why do we allow it and what can we do about it? I, for one, would like to see Roy's chair replaced with an old rusty grey metal folding chair with nothing on it at all, or perhaps a bubblegum pink chair, or maybe a chair with a big Kansas Jayhawk on it for him to sit in. From where I'm standing, he started it, so he's fair game for the most humiliation possible.

Anyone else as offended by Roy's behavior as I am? Any other suggestions as to how we combat it?

JohnGalt
09-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Does anyone else absolutely burn when they see the masking tape over the "Duke" on Roy's chair when the heels come to Cameron? It makes me apoplectic. Is there any precedent for this anywhere in college basketball? Why do we allow it and what can we do about it? I, for one, would like to see Roy's chair replaced with an old rusty grey metal folding chair with nothing on it at all, or perhaps a bubblegum pink chair, or maybe a chair with a big Kansas Jayhawk on it for him to sit in.

Anyone else as offended by Roy's behavior as I am? Any other suggestions as to how we combat it?

Iowa or Iowa State (I think State) painted the away team's locker room (in football) completely pink. I'm talking Hot Pink too...urinals, stalls, everything. It caused such a stir among certain folks that ESPN ran a segment on it and - I believe - they had to re-paint it with a slightly less 'condescending' color (if colors can, in fact, be condescending). I thought it was pretty hilarious, really.

As for the taping...lame. REAL lame. I agree with the old, rusty fold-up chair idea.

mkirsh
09-23-2010, 12:59 PM
Does anyone else absolutely burn when they see the masking tape over the "Duke" on Roy's chair when the heels come to Cameron? It makes me apoplectic. Is there any precedent for this anywhere in college basketball? Why do we allow it and what can we do about it? I, for one, would like to see Roy's chair replaced with an old rusty grey metal folding chair with nothing on it at all, or perhaps a bubblegum pink chair, or maybe a chair with a big Kansas Jayhawk on it for him to sit in. From where I'm standing, he started it, so he's fair game for the most humiliation possible.

Not that I like defending Coach Williams, but he does this everywhere they play (even at home) to mark which chair is his.

You can kind of see it in this picture if you look closely.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3102/3180884667_1f12501110.jpg?v=0

That said, it's still pretty dumb.

Battierfan01
09-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Not that I like defending Coach Williams, but he does this everywhere they play (even at home) to mark which chair is his.

You can kind of see it in this picture if you look closely.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3102/3180884667_1f12501110.jpg?v=0

That said, it's still pretty dumb.

It seems kinda sad that Ol' Roy can't identify his chair without having a piece of tape on it. :(

BD80
09-23-2010, 01:48 PM
It seems kinda sad that Ol' Roy can't identify his chair without having a piece of tape on it. :(

They should put some tape on his invisible chair:

http://tarheelmania.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/roy-williams.jpg

mkline09
09-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Perhaps he need some tape on the floor to locate the place where he will fall when he has his annual fainting spell.

In all seriousness given the recent events at Michigan State he may want to have that looked into.

4decadedukie
09-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Of course, I have some concern that any retaliatory actions -- however clever -- could reduce "us" to "his" level.
:D

sandinmyshoes
09-23-2010, 03:35 PM
I've heard that a lot of coaches mark their chair so that they don't sit in a chair that's been sweated on by a player. I suppose there is some sense in that, with the exception, of course, of Gary Williams.

oldnavy
09-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Typical Roy, but I have to say it is one of the least obnoxious things that he does on a regular basis. Let him tape it, it makes him feel superior.

BD80
09-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Typical Roy, but I have to say it is one of the least obnoxious things that he does on a regular basis. Let him tape it, it makes him feel superior.

Can we sneak into the unc equipment locker and switch the tape with double-sided tape? Maybe one with a heat-activated adhesive on the "outside?" At least a tape that reads "Duke" when subjected to body heat.

WiJoe
09-23-2010, 05:04 PM

How about over his mouth? He does have a potty mouth on occasion.

wilko
09-23-2010, 05:24 PM
How about one of those trick chairs... that every time you try to sit in it a leg collapses that deposits you on the floor and then by the time you recover to examine the chair its self coorecting and stand looking perfectly normal....

Heck the whole team could join in that fun and be deserving of a special chair.

-bdbd
09-23-2010, 07:26 PM
It just seems kinda petty to me.
Then again, think about who we're talking about...

Indoor66
09-23-2010, 08:00 PM
It just seems kinda petty to me.
Then again, think about who we're talking about...

It is petty. Even more, to me, it is childish. I have never seen another coach do this.

Duke: A Dynasty
09-23-2010, 09:39 PM
Iowa or Iowa State (I think State) painted the away team's locker room (in football) completely pink. I'm talking Hot Pink too...urinals, stalls, everything. It caused such a stir among certain folks that ESPN ran a segment on it and - I believe - they had to re-paint it with a slightly less 'condescending' color (if colors can, in fact, be condescending). I thought it was pretty hilarious, really.

As for the taping...lame. REAL lame. I agree with the old, rusty fold-up chair idea.

I think that is beat up right there. That cost money to fix and depending on how much it cost to redo can count as a felony. As for Roy.. i hate sticking up for him but i find it kinda funny. I worked at a grocery store when unc won a couple years ago and refused to bag the championship comemerative magazine for the customers cause i said i didnt want my hands covered in I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this..

JBDuke
09-23-2010, 10:18 PM
I think that is beat up right there. That cost money to fix and depending on how much it cost to redo can count as a felony. As for Roy.. i hate sticking up for him but i find it kinda funny. I worked at a grocery store when unc won a couple years ago and refused to bag the championship comemerative magazine for the customers cause i said i didnt want my hands covered in I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this..

I think you misunderstood the post to which you were replying. The school in question painted their own arena's visiting team locker room - so that when other teams came to town, they would be preparing for the game in a hot pink room. It's as if Duke decided to do this to the Cameron room dedicated to visiting team use.

No crime involved, unless you're an interior decorator...

Duke: A Dynasty
09-23-2010, 10:32 PM
I think you misunderstood the post to which you were replying. The school in question painted their own arena's visiting team locker room - so that when other teams came to town, they would be preparing for the game in a hot pink room. It's as if Duke decided to do this to the Cameron room dedicated to visiting team use.

No crime involved, unless you're an interior decorator...

LOL your right, im sorry i did misread that. I had a memory of high school on my mind where the week leading up to our rivalry football game something similiar happened and ppl were charged with a destruction of property felony and trespassing.

DevilHorns
09-23-2010, 10:50 PM

http://a.espncdn.com/media/ncf/2005/0928/photo/a_lockerroom_i.jpg

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2174828

"For decades, visiting football teams playing at Kinnick Stadium have dressed and showered in the pink locker room. The tradition was started by former Iowa coach Hayden Fry, a psychology major who said pink had a calming and passive effect on people."

Quite brilliant actually. And more importantly, hilarious.

As for this:

Easily solved with some:
http://www.overstockdrugstore.com/product_images/g/681421020039.jpg

left_hook_lacey
09-24-2010, 12:29 AM
Not to defend Roy, but I too am a chronic back pain sufferer. I'm not 100% sure, but I think his chair has extra padding or something to help with his back. At least I remember that being said during a game once. But I do know for a fact that he does it at every game, even home games. So it's not a slight at Duke.

Devilsfan
09-24-2010, 12:48 AM
Roy you're making ME dizzie "do it" or get off the pretend pot.

madscavenger
09-24-2010, 05:36 AM
i think Roy instead should bring along his "special motivational chair", you know the one with all those tiny, Carolina blue basketball stickers on it (kinda like the Buckeyes on OSU helmets). For readers new to the ACC, its Carolina tradition that they add one of their blue balls in a special ceremony after the game each time the team breaks down and plays a little defense. That chair's an antique. One day it'll be hung from the rafters, if you know what i mean.

theAlaskanBear
09-24-2010, 07:52 AM

You mean his invisible throne?? ;)

sandinmyshoes
09-24-2010, 09:42 AM
. But I do know for a fact that he does it at every game, even home games. So it's not a slight at Duke.

You got me curious, so I hit google. Turns out you're right, he even puts tape on the back of his chair at home games.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/say_yes/3180884667/

trinity92
09-24-2010, 08:49 PM
You got me curious, so I hit google. Turns out you're right, he even puts tape on the back of his chair at home games.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/say_yes/3180884667/

Ok in that case I guess I can accept it. Does it make me a bad person that I kind of wish there weren't an innocent explanation for the tape so I could hate more?

weezie
09-24-2010, 09:44 PM
OK, I have 'splained this to youse people before...there is a jerkazoid in my VA home-y town with the plates "H8DUK", avec tarhole insignia, who appears at the local health club from time to time. His cretinous wife sports "BOOST8"! Now just what the he-doublehockeystix am I supposed to do?! I'm not about the whole "acting like an adult" thing. I want some revenge when I see their sorry broke-down mobiles in the parking lot.

Speak up peoples. Lend a hand.

And PS, roy is simply emphasizing what an uneducated, unwashed, sorry, low class tool he is by acting like a little crying witch when he tapes over DUKE on his chair. Just a gosh darned loser, without an ounce of class or breeding or decency in his entire family tree.

BD80
09-25-2010, 02:16 AM
OK, I have 'splained this to youse people before...there is a jerkazoid in my VA home-y town with the plates "H8DUK", avec tarhole insignia, who appears at the local health club from time to time. His cretinous wife sports "BOOST8"! Now just what the he-doublehockeystix am I supposed to do?! I'm not about the whole "acting like an adult" thing. I want some revenge when I see their sorry broke-down mobiles in the parking lot.

Speak up peoples. Lend a hand.

And PS, roy is simply emphasizing what an uneducated, unwashed, sorry, low class tool he is by acting like a little crying witch when he tapes over DUKE on his chair. Just a gosh darned loser, without an ounce of class or breeding or decency in his entire family tree.

I'll have you know there is PLENTY of breeding in roy's family. All of it in.

-jk
09-25-2010, 07:00 AM
I think this one's about played out.

-jk