PDA

View Full Version : Gonna be hot Saturday. But Duke has a plan

jimsumner
09-23-2010, 11:39 AM
From Duke press release.

"Duke Athletics announced on Thursday its heat management plan for Saturday, September 25 when temperatures are expected to be in the mid-90s for Duke’s home football game against Army at Wallace Wade Stadium. Kick-off is set for 3 p.m.

The strategy will be implemented by Duke Athletics in conjunction with its gameday partners including Duke EMS, Duke Police, Duke Emergency Medicine/Division of Prehospital and Disaster Medicine, Duke LifeFlight, Durham County EMS, Parkwood EMS, SMAT, NROTC, AAAA, and Staff One.

The following services will be provided:

1. Water and Gatorade stations will be available adjacent to the First Aid/EMS tents located behind sections 6 and 20. Fans are permitted to bring empty plastic containers no larger than 20 ounces to be filled at the water and Gatorade stations.

2. Air-conditioned cooling stations will be available in the Parkwood EMS trailer located behind section 6 next to the East Gate and in the Murray Building/Main Medical First Aid Station located behind section 20. Cooling and mist fans also will be located in these areas.

3. Shade is available in multiple locations around the stadium including behind sections 6 and 9, and under the breezeways to the Finch-Yeager Press Box.

4. For medical assistance, fans should visit the first aid stations located behind sections 6and 20 or notify the nearest event staff or police officer.

Fans may visit the Guest Services Gazebos located at the north, east, and west gate entrances with any questions or concerns."

CameronBornAndBred
09-23-2010, 11:43 AM
I noticed during the Alabama game they broadcast that the "Heat Management Plan" was in effect. This was the first time I'd ever heard of such a thing, but I'm very happy they have something set up. Wallace Wade can be brutal during the day. I remember the Navy game 2 years ago had the EMT's working hard due to the number of heat related cases that they had to handle.

SharkD
09-23-2010, 02:38 PM
I noticed during the Alabama game they broadcast that the "Heat Management Plan" was in effect. This was the first time I'd ever heard of such a thing, but I'm very happy they have something set up. Wallace Wade can be brutal during the day. I remember the Navy game 2 years ago had the EMT's working hard due to the number of heat related cases that they had to handle.

Last week, it felt nearly 20 degrees cooler in the B-5 lot than in the stands. It was brutal enough that we packed it in a halftime (a sleepy 20-month-old sealed the deal). At least they had enough bottled water (and took credit cards), though they still won't sell otherwise empty cups of ice for less than the $4 fee for a soda.

Sitting in section 9, event staff kept checking on the elderly folks sitting behind us, just to make sure they were okay -- a marked difference from the 2008 Navy game, when it took 7 minutes for any medical staff to arrive on scene when Dr. Ed Mabry collapsed in section 27. Instead, my very pregnant wife had to hurdle a couple of rows to administer first-aid (thread (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?11177-Duke-41-Navy-31&p=192705#post192705)).