PDA

View Full Version : Who was the better Blue Devil?

Duke: A Dynasty
09-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Saw this on another site and thought id give it a shot here. Remember stats, accomplishments, work ethic, attitude, heart, and overall skills or anything else you think should count.

So to start...Singler or Dunleavy?

JasonEvans
09-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Saw this on another site and thought id give it a shot here. Remember stats, accomplishments, work ethic, attitude, heart, and overall skills or anything else you think should count.

Impossible to judge-- Singler's carer isn't over yet.

Personally, I am not a fan of this idea. Who are we to judge who "was a better Blue Devil." Asking someone about their favorite player, or the guy they enjoyed watching play, or something like that is fine. In fact, we did a massive "favorite Blue Devil" poll a few seasons ago that encompassed scores of players and had a brakcet and went on for months. It was great fun in the off-season.

But asking for the "better player" is something I would rather we avoided.

--Jason "others may disagree and post on this, but this will be my last look at this thread" Evans

dukeballboy88
09-22-2010, 12:18 PM
id say right now skill wise it was dunleavy but all the rest id have to say singler. but if singler completes the deuce this year, he will definately move up into the elite of duke basketball players then id put him over dunleavy.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-22-2010, 12:23 PM

If you mean "Who has been the best Duke basketball player of all time?"..... what time line are you considering? There were some absolutely fabulous Duke basketball players long before the ones you mentioned.

This subject has been debated many times, but I don't remember a consensus. What a problem to have!

PADukeMom
09-22-2010, 01:33 PM
It is like trying to compare apples to oranges.

Since Kyle's career isn't over it would be impossible to judge however if he were to leave DUKE with 2 rings and was named NPOY it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. Then again what Dunleavy did in the Arizona game is special. I do have an appreciation of players who graduate from DUKE. I can't recall whether Dunleavy did or not.

4decadedukie
09-22-2010, 01:51 PM
I can't recall whether Dunleavy did (graduate) or not.

FYI, the Alumni Association’s database indicates that Mike received his AB in History in 2003.

Cockabeau
09-22-2010, 02:05 PM
I would have to say Kyle. Kyle has outperformed Dunleavy with less talent around him, has a ring,stayed four years and will get his jersey retired.

09-22-2010, 02:05 PM
In the other forum its a preety close debate between Singler and Dunleavy. majority say Dunleavy was the more skilled guy but Singler is his teams go to guy so will have better looking stats. If Mike was in the same situation as singler or vice versa who would have done more in your own opinion

PADukeMom
09-22-2010, 03:03 PM
In the other forum its a preety close debate between Singler and Dunleavy. majority say Dunleavy was the more skilled guy but Singler is his teams go to guy so will have better looking stats. If Mike was in the same situation as singler or vice versa who would have done more in your own opinion

Can't make that call; different players, different situation, different game.
The 2001 team had 2 NPOY in Battier & J-Will who were the natural "go-to" guys. They were the guys who you wanted to be handling the ball with 5 seconds on the shot clock. It was a different team chemistry. Just compare Jon to J-Will or Boozer to Zoubs. Dunleavy was free to roam around the court to make the plays. If opponents were going to double-up on a player they were most likely concentrating on Battier & Jason not Mike.

This year there wasn't one clutch guy but rather an entire squad players who gelled as one concentrated effort. This year the target is on Kyle and to an almost equal extent, Nolan.

I am happy to hear Mike did indeed graduate.

PADukeMom
09-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Allow me to change my stance on this question. EVERY player that has ever put on a DUKE jersey is the BEST Blue Devil. I love them all, some more than others.
Trajan will ALWAYS be my favorite but then the walk in the UConn game is a knife in my heart. Yes I know I just went off in a tangent but I can not in all honesty make a choice who would have been better in the other circumstances.

devil84
09-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Allow me to change my stance on this question. EVERY player that has ever put on a DUKE jersey is the BEST Blue Devil. I love them all, some more than others.

I agree.

And like Jason said, who are we to judge who "was a better Blue Devil?" Different teams, different times, different team roles, different coaches (there was some pretty good basketball happening at Duke prior to Coach K). I've got my favorites (anyone on the '81-'84 teams bubbles to the top immediately), and I've got my favorite plays.

But determining "better" between two Blue Devils? Not what we like to do around here.

Duvall
09-22-2010, 03:37 PM
But determining "better" between two Blue Devils? Not what we like to do around here.

Perhaps in terms of direct player comparisions. But I see a fairly lengthy discussion of Singler's place in Duke basketball history coming to this forum next spring.

09-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Perhaps in terms of direct player comparisions. But I see a fairly lengthy discussion of Singler's place in Duke basketball history coming to this forum next spring.

Yes i cant wait to see how his season goes so the debate can start on where he belong in Duke greatness.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-22-2010, 10:11 PM
Who was the better Blue Devil? I think the Wootman was the best Blue Devil. http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/19.gif Ever. :cool: He was also a pretty darn good fullback on the Club Football team back in the day.

AZLA
09-23-2010, 12:59 AM
Hard to say, but I will give a slight edge in the toughness category to Singler.

BobbyFan
09-23-2010, 07:54 AM
I don't see the problem in saying one player is better than the other. In this case, though, it's tough to pick because Dunleavy and Singler are very close. It would probably depend on the team around them.

CameronBornAndBred
09-23-2010, 08:51 AM
Who was the better Blue Devil? I think the Wootman was the best Blue Devil. http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/19.gif Ever. :cool: He was also a pretty darn good fullback on the Club Football team back in the day.
That's the first thought I had when I saw the thread. But then again, he's the only Blue Devil I've met unmasked. But back when I was a kid, he was reason I showed up to games!

dukeballboy88
09-23-2010, 09:19 AM
with all that said, i would have loved for Dunleavy to come back for his senior year and be the focal point of the team. i think he could have put up big numbers. Kyle has a chance to go down as top 5 Duke player of all time.

Lets face fellas, you can say all the politicaly correct stuff you want like cant compare players or i love em all but the bottom line is if you put a all time duke team out there you could only start 5!

Chester Jumob
09-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Kyle has a chance to go down as top 5 Duke player of all time.

I doubt it. I think you need a history lesson.

I love Singler but he would have to have one heck of a senior season to pass Dawkins, Ferry, Battier, JWill, JJ, Laettner, GHill, or Hurley. And that is just the K era. Gminski, Groat, Heyman -- there are some old timers who are in the conversation too.

Even if he has an All-American senior season, I think a strong case could be made that Singler would not even make the 12-man squad of the all-time Dukies.

Turtleboy
09-23-2010, 09:54 AM
It is like trying to compare apples to oranges.Apples and Oranges -- a Comparison. (http://improbable.com/airchives/paperair/volume1/v1i3/air-1-3-apples.html)

Wander
09-23-2010, 10:00 AM
It has to be Singler. The simplest way for me to think of it is that Singler will have his jersey retired if he merely stays at the same level as last year, and Dunleavy did not. Everyone likes pointing to Dunleavy's threes against Arizona (which obviously were awesome), but that's not as impressive as what Singler did in his championship game.

PADukeMom
09-23-2010, 10:13 AM
It has to be Singler. The simplest way for me to think of it is that Singler will have his jersey retired if he merely stays at the same level as last year, and Dunleavy did not. Everyone likes pointing to Dunleavy's threes against Arizona (which obviously were awesome), but that's not as impressive as what Singler did in his championship game.

THAT is a major "WOOF". You have to retract that immediately then repeat GO TO HELL CAROLINA GO TO HELL 4 times while turning ina circle. You are angering the WOOF GODS & I have visions in my head of Kyle getting injured & being out the entire season thus vacating any chance of his jersey retirement.

PADukeMom
09-23-2010, 10:16 AM
Apples and Oranges -- a Comparison. (http://improbable.com/airchives/paperair/volume1/v1i3/air-1-3-apples.html)

You made me ;) on the second most depressing day of the year.

Reddevil
09-23-2010, 10:23 AM
It is just human nature to compare things - everything. In sports, it's - who was the best QB, pitcher, goaltender, tennis player, PG, etc. - ever? Most often these debates include players from different eras, and need to be taken with a grain of salt. Speaking of salt, I have always thought it best to just create a "top shelf". Cop out? Maybe, but it keeps things simpler for me. Dunleavy and Singler live at the same level in my mind, and they are in very good company. We are a fortunate bunch.:D

camion
09-23-2010, 11:02 AM
I guess the term "better Blue Devil" means something slightly different to me than to most of the people on this thread. I always thought Greg Paulus was an outstanding Blue Devil. He just wasn't a great basketball player.

Edouble
09-23-2010, 11:39 AM
I have to put myself in the crowd of folks that don't really care for the terminology "better Blue Devil". That aside, I think this is a very difficult question for me to address in any kind of thoughtful, unbiased manner, coming off of the emotional high of an NCAA Championship in which one of the players we are supposed to compare was a key cog, plus the additional excitement over Kyle's upcoming senior season.

That said... I'd have to say Dunleavy is probably the slightly more talented of the two in college, based on three seasons of play. I actually think Kyle is more athletic and tougher, but Dunleavy had more jaw-dropping plays, IMO. But I may be overcompensating for my current high level of love for Kyle.

DukieInKansas
09-23-2010, 11:43 AM
You made me ;) on the second most depressing day of the year.

I wonder if they got a government grant for that grant.

I'm sorry it is a depressing day for you. I hope people do more things to bring a smile to your heart today.

Suggestion - Watch this - it might help: http://www.youtube.com/v/Mrurx57Jlsk&hl=en_US&fs=1&

dcdevil2009
09-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Instead of the better/best blue devil question, how about a list of will farrell related awards/superlatives? Just to start out, here are a few that I thought of in the last couple minutes. I'm a pretty biased toward the more recent teams, so don't take my choices as a slight to the old guys.

The Ron Burgandy award for I hate you, but gd do i respect you to the player most hated by opposing fans...JJ/laettner

The Ricky Bobby if you're not first, you're last award for the most competitive player...wojo

and the follow up cal norton jr. award for best number 2 who could be number 1...sheldon/freshman j-will

The Jackie Moon award for all around good guy who might not have been the best basketball player, but wanted to help the team and invented the alley oop...greg paulus for giving up his starting role to come off the bench (ferrell letting woody harrelson coach), playing d1 football after a long hiatus (jackie's singing career), and starting what looks like will be a successful coaching career (the alley oop analogy)

I ran out of steam on the last one, but i'm sure there are more out there