PDA

View Full Version : J-Will's Top 10 College PGs

SilkyJ
09-20-2010, 06:29 PM
J-Will's Top 10 PGs for 2010-2011 can be found over at ESPN (http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog?name=ncbexperts&id=5579418)

Its an insider article so I can't say much, but he's got Kalin Lucas #1 and Kyrie #2.

Other freshman cracking the list are Brandon Knight at #5 and Josh Shelby at #10

Malcolm Delaney also checks in at #4.

Turtleboy
09-20-2010, 06:37 PM
J-Will's Top 10 PGs for 2010-2011 can be found over at ESPN (http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog?name=ncbexperts&id=5579418)

Its an insider article so I can't say much, but he's got Kalin Lucas #1 and Kyrie #2.

Other freshman cracking the list are Brandon Knight at #5 and Josh Shelby at #10Jason was on SportsNation several months ago in The Seat of Knowledge or some such conceit, and Kyrie was one of the questioners. His question was along the lines of "What do I need to do to be the best point guard ever at Duke?" After Jason gave his boilerplate answer he asked Kyrie "Who do you think was the best point guard ever at Duke?" He thought for a moment, kind of pursed his, lips, looked up, looked at Jason, and said "I gotta go with Greg Paulus."

SilkyJ
09-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Jason was on SportsNation several months ago in The Seat of Knowledge or some such conceit, and Kyrie was one of the questioners. His question was along the lines of "What do I need to do to be the best point guard ever at Duke?" After Jason gave his boilerplate answer he asked Kyrie "Who do you think was the best point guard ever at Duke?" He thought for a moment, kind of pursed his, lips, looked up, looked at Jason, and said "I gotta go with Greg Paulus."

HAHAHA. That's classic! (no offense, Greg!)

Lord Ash
09-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Hm, wasn't Kyrie at the top of a list JWill put out just a short time ago?

DevilHorns
09-20-2010, 08:25 PM

I think he was top of the diaper dandies.

Remember when we were all hooked on Brandon Knight? My how Kyrie has simply elevated his status amongst the incoming PGs!

_TheFakeJWill_
09-20-2010, 08:28 PM
I bet you Kyrie is J Wills #1 PG in the nation but everyone knows J will went to Duke and now matter how good Kyrie is J Will would never put Kyrie as number 1... He would never hear the end of it.

Do i think he thinks Kyrie will be the best PG in the nation next year... without a doubt BUT he isnt dumb enough to put him #1 on his poll. Lucas is a safe good choice for #1.

OldPhiKap
09-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Jason was on SportsNation several months ago in The Seat of Knowledge or some such conceit, and Kyrie was one of the questioners. His question was along the lines of "What do I need to do to be the best point guard ever at Duke?" After Jason gave his boilerplate answer he asked Kyrie "Who do you think was the best point guard ever at Duke?" He thought for a moment, kind of pursed his, lips, looked up, looked at Jason, and said "I gotta go with Greg Paulus."

Now that there's funny, I don't care where you are.

Now, to tell one in favor of JWill: he was on a show with Kenny Smith a few years ago, some pregame show where they had a basket set up. JWill was about to shoot, and Kenny said something along the lines of "imagine you are at the Dean Dome, with 22,000 folks screaming at you." JWill's response: "no, if we were there the fans would already be leaving."

(I'm not doing it justice, maybe there's a clip out there somewhere).

Newton_14
09-20-2010, 08:58 PM
I think he was top of the diaper dandies.

Remember when we were all hooked on Brandon Knight? My how Kyrie has simply elevated his status amongst the incoming PGs!

You read my mind. Nothing against Brandon, he is a fine player in his own right, but I feel we garnered the better PG by a large margin. Kyrie is likely better than advertised while I am not sure Brandon is as good as advertised. BK may prove me wrong. Big Pappa and I had a friendly debate on that subject back in another thread in the early summer, and BP feels Brandon will be a dominant player. I am not so sure. I think he will be good but nothing close to what Kyrie puts out.

After seeing Kyrie up close and personal in the summer league, I was blown away with the things he can do with the basketball. He is just incredibly gifted in so many phases of the game, especially on the offensive side of the ball. Really good shooter from deep even when heavily defended, off the charts ballhandling skills, great vision, great passing ability, and when he wants to get to the rim, defensives are just about powerless to stop him. My only question marks for Kyrie is how well can he "on the ball defend", and how quickly can he learn the Duke team defensive scheme's. On offense, no questions at all though.

I cannot wait until CTC to see him wearing that Duke #1 jersey for the first time. The kid is special.

ElSid
09-20-2010, 09:37 PM
...or people just refuse to believe kyrie is better because he's a dukie? when i checked the poll on the ncaabb portion of espn earlier, brandon knight was winning by 4 or 5%. kalin lucas was second. kyrie was third.

i guess freshman point guard at kentucky means something lately.

dukeballer2294
09-21-2010, 01:39 AM
i thought i heard about a month ago that there were eligibility issues josh selby? can any1 clarify? if so thats a shame because i think he is the 2nd best frosh pg, behind kyrie of course

AlaskanAssassin
09-21-2010, 02:03 AM

True, a couple weeks ago on his twitter: http://twitter.com/RealJayWilliams/status/23270929762

My top 10 college PG's for 2010-11: 1.Kyrie Irving 2.Brandon Knight 3.Kemba Walker 4. Jimmer Fredette 5.Corey Fisher 6. Shelvin Mack

Lord Ash
09-21-2010, 07:06 AM
True, a couple weeks ago on his twitter: http://twitter.com/RealJayWilliams/status/23270929762

Yeah, I knew I wasn't crazy. I think maybe he just had a "brain fart" and forgot Lucas. I guess it can happen to anyone!

superdave
09-21-2010, 09:45 AM
Irving's rise in the rankings shows how Coach K's recruiting is better and smarter than the simple cast-a-wide-net strategy that lands guys who maybe were great as soph's but their peers passed them in terms of development. Remember how Chris Burgess was the #1 player after junior year, then 10th or so after senior year? He didnt get worse, he just didnt develop a whole lot more. Also, Sebastian Telfair and Dajuan Wagner come to mind as prodigys who eventually were no longer prodigious. Irving's only going to get better - I can see a Chris Paul trajectory!

JasonEvans
09-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Also, Sebastian Telfair and Dajuan Wagner come to mind as prodigys who eventually were no longer prodigious.

Wagner averaged 21ppg as a freshman at Memphis before going #6 in the NBA draft. His game may not have translated well to The League, but he was still pretty darn "prodigious" as a college freshman.

Bassie went straight to the NBA and was a starter for several years, though he was never quite the talent he was expected to be.

You are correct that these two players, when they were midway through their high school careers, were seen as sure-fire NBA stars. They never got there. But, it is not like they were the "busts" that Burgess turned out to be... not even close.

-Jason "Derrick Caracter is another who was a mega-stud as a soph in high school... and then fell off a cliff" Evans

superdave
09-21-2010, 01:05 PM
Wagner averaged 21ppg as a freshman at Memphis before going #6 in the NBA draft. His game may not have translated well to The League, but he was still pretty darn "prodigious" as a college freshman.

Bassie went straight to the NBA and was a starter for several years, though he was never quite the talent he was expected to be.

You are correct that these two players, when they were midway through their high school careers, were seen as sure-fire NBA stars. They never got there. But, it is not like they were the "busts" that Burgess turned out to be... not even close.

-Jason "Derrick Caracter is another who was a mega-stud as a soph in high school... and then fell off a cliff" Evans

I think another good comparison in a couple of years could be the Wear twins vs. Mason and Miles Plumlee.

Duke: A Dynasty
09-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Its probably go to do with a combination of how long he has been at the top and how explosive he is offesively. Kyrie may be the best all around but Brandon is known for lots of scoring and people nowadays love offense and lots of scoring. And the fact that coach cal was involved had somthing to do with it imo.

Lennies
09-21-2010, 03:21 PM
I can't believe that Corey Fisher (Villanova) isn't on this list, but three freshmen are..

UrinalCake
09-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Irving is going to be a stud, but I can't find fault with placing Lucas ahead of him today. He's a senior and Irving hasn't played a game yet. Let's revisit these rankings in March.

NovaScotian
09-22-2010, 08:50 PM

hahahahahahahahahahahahhaha, thats the best thing i've ever heard

DevilHorns
09-25-2010, 10:39 PM
Somebody's gotten a lot bigger....

http://dukeblueplanet.smugmug.com/2010-11/Media/DBP-Video-Shoot/VideoShoot2010-010/1019862289_i4ipF-M.jpg

http://steveboylephoto.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/20091103-0067a.jpg