PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke-Army Pre-game and In-game Thread

OldPhiKap
09-20-2010, 05:57 PM
Okay, next play.

Army has a very balanced running game, having a different player lead the team in rushing each game this year. They have also done well against pass-offenses, such as North Texas. Per their website, Army is ranked 29th in the nation in pass defense, giving up 160.0 yards per game.

It seems to me that defense is going to be the key in this game. Time to step up and get the job done. It would be nice to put together a fairly complete game and right the ship.

(Mods, I thought I capitalized "Army" but apparently did not. If someone could correct that, I would appreciate it. No disrespect intended).

CLT Devil
09-20-2010, 06:19 PM
Do they still have that WR/TE who is 6'10" or close to it in size?

Last year this game was Renfree's coming out party. Thad had a bad game and Renfree came in to give us the win. I hope our Offense can get back on track, but I agree that ultimately the D is the storyline. I just hope our young secondary does not get discouraged after Wake and AL games.

CameronBornAndBred
09-20-2010, 06:27 PM
It seems to me that defense is going to be the key in this game.

I think we can say that for every game to follow this season. We know the offense can get the ball moving and score. (Yes, there is room to improve there too.) Army has a tricky offense, and this game has me far more nervous than I was at the beginning of the season.
Here is what Cutcliffe had to say..

"We are preparing to play an option offense, and a good one, in Army," Cutcliffe said. "They provide a lot of looks and different things then what Georgia Tech and Navy typically do. They are challenging in their own way."http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204997311

I was looking for wins versus both the academies as good setups for GT..but we've done poorly against the run and the pass, and all three of these teams will have us guessing at every turn. (Tech is so good with the option that I get confused from the stands, it has require serious concentration to follow and stop the ball on the field.) We could go 0-3 against all three of them easily, especially if our offense is not having a good day like last Saturday.
I have the confidence in our offense that we can stay ahead and get the win, I just hope our defense is able to keep it from being a shootout similar to Wake.

P.S. No turnovers on our part!!!!!! That is also going to be huge, and could decide the game even more than our D just stopping them from scoring. As much as we knock our defense...they have done a really good job in creating turnovers. They created TO's in each of their games so far.

6th Man
09-20-2010, 10:20 PM
I'm looking forward to watching Josh Sneed this week. Be great to see him build on his performance against Alabama. Also, Scott has played well. Amazing how we went from the worst rushing team in division 1 last year to having a sound running game this season. With that kind of improvement, imagine how good our defense will be next year! :cool:

Been an interesting start so far, but I really enjoy this team. I know we have not come close to putting it all together, but their are so many bright spots and flashes of great things.

Newton_14
09-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Well, one good thing is, our guys will have to feel like they are lining up against the sisters of the poor this week after what they went through Saturday. That should give them an emotional lift.

Like others I have confidence in our offense, even our running game which is starting to show promise. Josh and Desmond are really looking good, and Josh especially ran with confidence against Bama. He showed no fear at all. We need to run the ball even more than we did Saturday when we face Army.

The defense is a head scratcher for sure. After watching all 3 of the games so far, 2 in person, I have developed a love/hate relationship with our defensive backs.:) With the exception of a couple of mistakes where there was a blown assignment leaving a receiver wide open, our d-backs have done an excellent job of sticking with their man. Honestly, I was talking with a friend Saturday about the fact that they are right there, running step for step with the receiver most everytime. Which is great. The problem in the first 2 games is they never look back for the ball. They have made a slight improvement with that, but they are now looking but waiting to late to do so.

They could easily have 4 or 5 interceptions across the 3 games if they found the ball earlier. Several underthrown passes could have been easy picks. It is just frustrating to me to see that all of them have the speed required to defend, but technique must improve there.

The D-Line and especially the linebackers look confused at times from my view, causing them to be in the wrong place at the wrong time a lot. I think that is hurting moreso than the missed tackling at this point.

I feel better about the d-backs improving at this point. I think they have the shortest gap to close to be good. The other two areas need a lot of work. How much they improve will determine the fate of this year. I am not ready to give up though. We need to keep going to games and encouraging these guys no matter what.

Beating Army will help the cause greatly. Go Duke!

loran16
09-21-2010, 01:14 AM
I'm going to be there for homecoming. Maybe I'll meet some of you guys.

gep
09-21-2010, 02:01 AM
Okay, next play.

Army has a very balanced running game, having a different player lead the team in rushing each game this year. They have also done well against pass-offenses, such as North Texas. Per their website, Army is ranked 29th in the nation in pass defense, giving up 160.0 yards per game.

It seems to me that defense is going to be the key in this game. Time to step up and get the job done. It would be nice to put together a fairly complete game and right the ship.

(Mods, I thought I capitalized "Army" but apparently did not. If someone could correct that, I would appreciate it. No disrespect intended).

Well... against Army, Hawaii with their pass-first run-and-shoot got 343 yards passing... 13.7 yards per reception. I think Sean and the V's and Kelly can do as well, especially with a better running game than Hawaii showed (52 yards rushing). And, without those very quick big "men" in the defensive backfield, the receivers can concentrate on catching the football, instead of being concerned of being totally flattened out...

It seems that Army made it a game when they made their adjustments at half-time, and Hawaii did not. So, given that Duke has Coach Cut, I think Duke has a great opportunity to get a W...

duke09hms
09-21-2010, 02:33 AM
As a former West Pointer and Dukie, when it comes to football, I have no ambivalence in my support. Let's GO DUKE!

I cannot stand to lose to USMA in football.

I'm gonna be there this weekend, cmon Devils!!

Play smart, heads-up defense and stop the option attack at the line of scrimmage. Even though this isn't Alabama rolling through here, let's not get mentally complacent. Keep building on that great Saturday, O-line. Make room for Scott and Snead to run wild and let Renfree fling the ball up and down the field. Don't let up!

RelativeWays
09-21-2010, 07:16 AM
Army's two wins come against Eastern Michigan and North Texas, two terrible teams. North Texas has a WR running QB as both the starter and backup were out.

Army doesn't have the athletes that Bama, or even Wake or possibly Elon does and option offenses are the preferred method for undersized teams (lots of cut blocking).

If Duke's offense is on point, Army cannot stop them. We had drives on Alabama that were stymied by drops more than anything else. I'm assuming our guys won't be as scared of Army as they appeared to be with Bama.

Duke's D actually did a very good job on Richardson (minus special teams play) for this game, they simply need to play. Duke CBs should be able to keep up with the Army WRs, but can they play smart?

Duke will not keep Army off the scoreboard. The keys are taking advantage on O and trying to force a few punts. As long as Duke doesn't sleep on Army or come out deflated from last week. The sign of a good team to me would be if they came out determined and extremely angry. Any team with any sort of pride would want to smash their next opponenet after being embarrassed on TV.

Duke plays to its true potential 48-24 win. If not 28-16 loss and the end of the season.

CameronBornAndBred
09-21-2010, 07:47 AM
I'm going to be there for homecoming. Maybe I'll meet some of you guys.
Swing by Devil's Alley in the Card gym lot, several of us are there at both crazietalk's and DitbD's tents. Would love to meet you. (That goes for anyone, not just Loran. ;))

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Swing by Devil's Alley in the Card gym lot, several of us are there at both crazietalk's and DitbD's tents. Would love to meet you. (That goes for anyone, not just Loran. ;))
I second that invitation!

Bob Green
09-22-2010, 02:59 PM
Here are excerpts from Army Coach Rich Ellerson's recent press conference:

http://www.goarmysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=204998428&DB_OEM_ID=11100

he sounds impressed with hard hitting safety Matt Daniels:

Daniels is the leading tackler. How are you going to make a big play if he's on the field because he's faster than all of your guys by a lot.

Battierfan01
09-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Here are excerpts from Army Coach Rich Ellerson's recent press conference:

http://www.goarmysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=204998428&DB_OEM_ID=11100

he sounds impressed with hard hitting safety Matt Daniels:

He also sounds very impressed with Renfree and our offense.

Duke of Nashville
09-22-2010, 03:37 PM
I'm looking forward to watching Josh Sneed this week. Be great to see him build on his performance against Alabama. Also, Scott has played well. Amazing how we went from the worst rushing team in division 1 last year to having a sound running game this season. With that kind of improvement, imagine how good our defense will be next year! :cool:

Been an interesting start so far, but I really enjoy this team. I know we have not come close to putting it all together, but their are so many bright spots and flashes of great things.

Yes, I am definitely looking forward to a more balanced running attack. We have to be able to run the ball to let our passing game be as effective as possible.

4decadedukie
09-23-2010, 07:27 AM
We certainly cannot presume this is an assured victory, and I only hope our defense (especially) plays close to its potential.

As a side-note, Saturday appropriately is Duke's "Military Appreciation Day," so I hope all of us will say a small, silent prayer that the kids deployed to Southwest Asia return safely to their homes, their families, and to us.

devildeac
09-23-2010, 08:59 AM
Predictions anyone?

Duke 45
Army 38

CameronBornAndBred
09-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Predictions anyone?

Duke 45
Army 38
I like your 45, I won't give them quite that many though..our defense is gonna be pissed off and ready to take it out on somebody. I give Army 28.

mkline09
09-23-2010, 10:01 AM
Heather Dinich has predicted a high scoring affair with Army coming out on top 42-38

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/15465/page/thursday-predictions/week-4-predictions-2

I don't know if it is just me but I feel pretty confident in Duke's ability. They should have a lot to prove after last weeks game and should come out plenty motivated. I think they learned a lot from the Alabama game and believe they will apply it. I know the defense has been bad but they are young and still learning. I expect them to start turning things around. I think they can and will win this game. They may give up some yards but I suspect they will keep them out of the end zone enough to pull off a victory.

I'm going with a 28-17 score.

CameronBornAndBred
09-23-2010, 11:02 AM
So far, Army has the 7th best rushing offense in the country, going up against the 117th best defense in the country. (Out of 120!)
So expect a lot of rushing yards...I think Army is averaging something like 280 rushing yards per game, and Duke is averaging well over 200 rushing yards allowed. Bright side, Army can't throw the ball to save their lives. Their longest completion this year has been for 20 yards.

Bob Green
09-23-2010, 12:31 PM
I don't know if it is just me but I feel pretty confident in Duke's ability.

It is not just you as I am equally confident in Duke winning. I'll say 34-27 though I'm hoping for a score in the neighborhood of 41-17. Army is 2-1 but their two wins are over Eastern Michigan (0-3) and North Texas (0-3). This will be a tough game as the Cadets will give us a battle, but in the end, Duke has too many offensive weapons. We will be able to run and throw the ball on Saturday.

mkline09
09-23-2010, 12:38 PM
It is not just you as I am equally confident in Duke winning. I'll say 34-27 though I'm hoping for a score in the neighborhood of 41-17. Army is 2-1 but their two wins are over Eastern Michigan (0-3) and North Texas (0-3). This will be a tough game as the Cadets will give us a battle, but in the end, Duke has too many offensive weapons. We will be able to run and throw the ball on Saturday.

I think Duke might keep it a bit lower as they try to run the ball more and control the clock a bit. But I can see them putting up 40 especially if everything is clicking. It might be wise for them to try and run the clock to keep the defense off the field. But I certainly won't complain if they put up 40.

killerleft
09-23-2010, 01:49 PM
My prediction is 52-24 Duke. Our offense will shine, Army's will not. We can run and pass, they will only be able to run.

davekay1971
09-23-2010, 05:57 PM
Heather Dinich has predicted a high scoring affair with Army coming out on top 42-38

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/15465/page/thursday-predictions/week-4-predictions-2

Heather Dinich is pretty sharp and one of my favorite ESPN.com writers, but her picks this week seem way off to me. She's giving UVa too much credit (this is a classic UVA letdown game scenario, with them pulling out a home win something like 21-17); I think she's giving NC State a little too much credit having them beat Ga Tech at home; I think she's giving UNC too little credit losing by 10 to Rutgers, easily their least imposing opponent this year; and I think she's flat-out wrong in the Duke-Army pick.

This week Duke's offense rolls, and our defense starts to put it together...

Duke 38, Army 24

mkline09
09-23-2010, 06:00 PM
Heather Dinich is pretty sharp and one of my favorite ESPN.com writers, but her picks this week seem way off to me. She's giving UVa too much credit (this is a classic UVA letdown game scenario, with them pulling out a home win something like 21-17); I think she's giving NC State a little too much credit having them beat Ga Tech at home; I think she's giving UNC too little credit losing by 10 to Rutgers, easily their least imposing opponent this year; and I think she's flat-out wrong in the Duke-Army pick.

This week Duke's offense rolls, and our defense starts to put it together...

Duke 38, Army 24

I agree. I enjoy Heather's blog and often she gives Duke more credit than just about anyone else I can think of but I agree I think she is off on this one. I also am a little disappointed she has been so critical of Duke's defense without pointing out that they are young and inexperienced, which sounds more like an excuse but can explain why they have struggled early.

watzone
09-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Bob Green takes an in depth look at stats to date for DFB.
http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/09/stats-update-josh-snead-and-lee-butler-shine/

watzone
09-24-2010, 01:02 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/09/bdn-previews-army-vs-duke/ Duke vs Army game preview and prediction

RWD
09-24-2010, 09:09 PM
I'll be in town for the game for the first time in more years than I'd like to admit. Could someone let me know when the pre-game walk occurs and the route? Thanks, and go Duke!

RWD

Kfanarmy
09-24-2010, 10:46 PM
As a former West Pointer and Dukie, when it comes to football, I have no ambivalence in my support. Let's GO DUKE!

I cannot stand to lose to USMA in football.

I'm gonna be there this weekend, cmon Devils!!

Play smart, heads-up defense and stop the option attack at the line of scrimmage. Even though this isn't Alabama rolling through here, let's not get mentally complacent. Keep building on that great Saturday, O-line. Make room for Scott and Snead to run wild and let Renfree fling the ball up and down the field. Don't let up!

Pls explain what a "former West Pointer" is. I don't think I've ever heard a grad say that.

devildeac
09-24-2010, 10:47 PM
I'll be in town for the game for the first time in more years than I'd like to admit. Could someone let me know when the pre-game walk occurs and the route? Thanks, and go Duke!

RWD

I believe it starts about 2.5 hours before game time, or about 1230 PM, and goes right by our tent in Devil's Alley/Card Gym lot about 1245 PM.

http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/duke_bluedevil.gif

Bob Green
09-25-2010, 08:32 AM
Duke has come out flat after halftime this season managing only three points in the 3rd Quarter. This will be something to keep our eyes on today as we need to play a complete 60 minutes to win. A couple of more key points:

1. The defense must contain Army's ground game. Time of possession will be a key factor as both Duke and Army are teams that desire to have their offense on the field more than their defense.

2. Our vaunted receiving corps has suffered with a bad case of the slippery fingers the past two games so I expect they will be focused upon catching every ball thrown their way. We cannot afford dropped passes.

3. The running game needs to build off of the success achieved to date. At 155.7 yards per game, the running game is much improved. It would be really nice to see both Desmond Scott and Josh Snead have a productive day today.

PumpkinFunk
09-25-2010, 09:13 AM
I believe it starts about 2.5 hours before game time, or about 1230 PM, and goes right by our tent in Devil's Alley/Card Gym lot about 1245 PM.

http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/duke_bluedevil.gif

Yep, that's correct. Campus is getting excited for this - yesterday, we had a pep rally with none other than Grant Hill introducing Coach Cut for the students, with the 3 permanent captains (the only one coming to mind right now is Bryan Morgan, because half of DUMB knows him from Wind Symphony). The rest of the students should be out in force today after tailgate, I'd hope. The weather might be a deterrent, but hopefully they take it all easy during tailgating. I also had the pleasure of meeting blazindw last night, so I continue to put faces to the names of a few people on here.

Only concern to me for this game is us stopping the run. They'll look at the Wake and Bama game tapes to see how we got beat, so we've gotta be on our A-game. They can't pass, we know that, but they will try to run all over us. When they pass, we have to be going for the ball instead of just incompletions. I hope it was simply weak run defenses that helped them look good, but you never know.

RelativeWays
09-25-2010, 09:26 AM
More than anything I want to see this team come out angry and hungry. USMA and UMD are winnable games and it would be nice to head into the bye 3-2, knowing the WF game got away. They cannot come out flat as Army will make Duke pay, They are looking for a post season berth too. We catch the balls and actually make tackles? Duke wins by 14 at least.

riverside6
09-25-2010, 03:01 PM
You can follow live stats and play analysis for the Duke/Army game here...

http://www.scacchoops.com/FB_ViewHDGame.asp?hGame=303

The game can be watched on ESPN3

Bob Green
09-25-2010, 03:11 PM
Well this isn't the start I was looking forward to. We can't turn the ball over.

94duke
09-25-2010, 03:43 PM
2 INT's in the 1st, both leading to TD's on the drive after the INT.

Ouch.

I'm following online at work (grrrrr).
Were either of these tipped, or were they just bad passes.

gep
09-25-2010, 03:50 PM
I'm following online at work (grrrrr).
Were either of these tipped, or were they just bad passes.

2 bad passes. Sean didn't see the linebackers... like they knew what was going to happen...

duke blue brewcrew
09-25-2010, 04:03 PM
or swiss cheese? random flashes of brilliance followed by heavy doses of wtf are they doing?!? is it basketball season yet? ughhh!

Duvall
09-25-2010, 04:10 PM
or swiss cheese? random flashes of brilliance followed by heavy doses of wtf are they doing?!? is it basketball season yet? ughhh!

Don't single out the defense. This has been a comprehensive failure.

duke blue brewcrew
09-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Don't single out the defense. This has been a comprehensive failure.

you're absolutely right...the renfree picks were horrible as well. watching this makes me want to puch a hole in my laptop screen. they've gotta wake up at halftime and come out looking and playing like a team that expects to win this game. did bama shatter their confidence that badly?

Duvall
09-25-2010, 04:44 PM
you're absolutely right...the renfree picks were horrible as well. watching this makes me want to puch a hole in my laptop screen. they've gotta wake up at halftime and come out looking and playing like a team that expects to win this game. did bama shatter their confidence that badly?

I wouldn't blame too much of this on confidence. Lack of talent is also playing a major role.

duke blue brewcrew
09-25-2010, 04:46 PM
One turnover after another...one failed defensive stop after another! Down three TDs early in the 3rd. This season Duke football has been shown squirt gun like flashes of brilliance in an ocean of inconsistency. This is hard to watch, no wonder the stands are only half full for homecoming.

Duvall
09-25-2010, 04:56 PM
It sure it. Many teams play in conferences at one level and then football at another level.

Not "many" teams. Only in the Big East, because the Big East is a joke. It wouldn't happen in the ACC.

Acymetric
09-25-2010, 05:12 PM
If the coaches have given up on this game so have I. Running every down losing by 4 scores is ridiculous. Disappointed that I wasted an afternoon baking to see this.

Newton_14
09-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Folks, our guys are obviously having a tough day but please keep the discussion civil. I have deleted several inappropriate posts.

Please think before you post.