PDA

View Full Version : The ongoing saga of Thad Lewis' NFL career

rasputin
09-18-2010, 02:09 PM
The Rams waived Thad Lewis to make roster room for a cornerback.

Rats.

SCMatt33
09-18-2010, 03:51 PM
I don't see any transaction listed on the Rams website. Link?

If true, does this mean that the Rams are only keeping 2 QB's. That seems a little odd.

Bob Green
09-19-2010, 11:09 AM
I don't see any transaction listed on the Rams website. Link?

If true, does this mean that the Rams are only keeping 2 QB's. That seems a little odd.

Thad Lewis isn't on this Rams roster at the St. Louis Dispatch:

http://stltoday.stats.com/fb/teamstats.asp?tm=14&type=roster

Bradford and Feeley are the only QBs listed.

SCMatt33
09-19-2010, 11:38 AM
Thad Lewis isn't on this Rams roster at the St. Louis Dispatch:

http://stltoday.stats.com/fb/teamstats.asp?tm=14&type=roster

Bradford and Feeley are the only QBs listed.

So I looked into this a little and the Rams have 5 CB's on the roster. One is out today , Kevin Dockery, and one is questionable, Justin King (I'd assume this move means that they're leaning towards out for him as well). This left them with only three available CB's. My guess is that this is not a long term thing, and the Rams made the call that it would be tough to slot in a safety at CB for dime packages and would rather take the risk of not having a third QB until either one of the other CB's is healthy or is hurt badly enough to place on IR for the year.

Bob Green
09-19-2010, 12:47 PM
My guess is that this is not a long term thing, and the Rams made the call that it would be tough to slot in a safety at CB for dime packages and would rather take the risk of not having a third QB until either one of the other CB's is healthy or is hurt badly enough to place on IR for the year.

Your explanation sounds solid so I hope you are correct and we see Thad Lewis back on the Ram's roster soon.

CameronBornAndBred
09-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Well hell. Makes little sense..hope he gets to keep a bunch of money.

ST. LOUIS RAMS: CB Marquis Johnson signed from practice squad. QB Thad Lewis waived.

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/18/2233607/for-the-record.html#ixzz100cyGMGR

DevilWolf
09-20-2010, 10:55 AM
I hope he's not available if the Rams try to pick him back up because I hope he's in Charlotte.

Class of '94
09-20-2010, 10:58 AM
I hope he's not available if the Rams try to pick him back up because I hope he's in Charlotte.

Our QB situation in the Carolina Panthers is horrible right now. I think Moore needs to go to the bench at this point. He looks really bad right now. I'd love to see Thad on the Panthers team and compete for back-up slot with a chance of being a starter if Clausen gets hurt.

sagegrouse
09-20-2010, 11:22 AM
I thought the NFL had a rule where it could have a QB who was not on the 53-player active roster available as an emergency QB if the first two QBs went down.

Are we sure that is not the Thad Lewis situation? Perhaps a QB must clear waivers to go to the practice squad.

I can't believe even the StL Rams would go without a third QB.

sagegrouse

johnb
09-20-2010, 11:29 AM
this site indicates that the Rams didn't expect anyone to pick him up while they were preparing for games and that they expect to re-sign Lewis today:

http://www.ramsgab.com/2010/09/19/thad-lewis-waived-marquis-johnson-activated/

Deslok
09-20-2010, 11:33 AM
I'm definitely not familiar with how roster spots are taken up, and I too thought there was something along those lines, that a 3rd QB didn't count against the players that you suit up on gameday or something like that. But I was watching the Pittsburgh-Tennessee game on Sunday(bizarre game, Pittsburgh returns the opening kickoff for a TD, the Titans turn the ball over 7! times on the day, and yet were still not far off from winning the thing), and the Steeler QB(Dixon) went down in the first half with a knee sprain and Charlie Batch came in. Apparently the Steelers had opted not to pick up a 3rd QB with Roethlisberger waiting for his suspension to end and needing an extra defensive back, so the only QB who could have suited up for them(and was not out of the realm of possibility with the way the Titans were swarming on D) was Antwan Randel-El, who played QB at Indiana, but not in the 8 or so years since in the NFL(aside from a flirtation with it as a rookie).

To make a long story short, I've got no idea what the rule is these days, but it seems like the 3rd QB rule isn't the case anymore, or has been significantly altered. Here's hoping Thad lands somewhere.

SCMatt33
09-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Sorry for not posting a link to back this up, but the official NFL rules are not available online for free. The NFL only provides a "digest" of rules that most casual fans are already familiar with.

The NFL allows a roster of 53, players, but only 45 can play in any single game. This is similar to the NBA rule which allows a 15 man roster, but only 12 for any single game. The "emergency" quarterback does not count against the limit of 45, but if he enters the game before the start of the fourth quarter, then the first two quarterbacks may not re-enter the game under any circumstances (he is allowed to sub in freely in the final quarter). The emergency quarterback does count against the limit of 53 players, though.

The Rams were in the position where there were only 3 healthy CB's on the 53 man roster. To add a fourth, they would have to place someone on waivers. I'm guessing that they wanted to protect all of their other players and assumed that Thad would be the least likely to be claimed off of waivers. It's not that unusual to see a team only have two available quarterbacks in a game, but usually, it is due to an injury to the starting or backup quarterback.

Turtleboy
09-20-2010, 12:29 PM
I believe the Steelers did something similar with Leftwich recently.

johnb
09-20-2010, 01:04 PM
Sorry for not posting a link to back this up, but the official NFL rules are not available online for free. The NFL only provides a "digest" of rules that most casual fans are already familiar with.

This is interesting and a little odd.

SCMatt33
09-20-2010, 01:09 PM
This is interesting and a little odd.

I just found this. Here's why the full rules aren't available (http://www.amazon.com/2010-Official-Rules-NFL/dp/1600784178/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285002358&sr=8-1). Anyone surprised?

johnb
09-20-2010, 02:04 PM
I just found this. Here's why the full rules aren't available (http://www.amazon.com/2010-Official-Rules-NFL/dp/1600784178/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285002358&sr=8-1). Anyone surprised?

One of my favorite sayings:

If you're disillusioned, you were illusioned in the first place....

duke blue brewcrew
09-20-2010, 05:29 PM

The NFL allows a roster of 53, players, but only 45 can play in any single game. This is similar to the NBA rule which allows a 15 man roster, but only 12 for any single game. The "emergency" quarterback does not count against the limit of 45, but if he enters the game before the start of the fourth quarter, then the first two quarterbacks may not re-enter the game under any circumstances (he is allowed to sub in freely in the final quarter). The emergency quarterback does count against the limit of 53 players, though.

The Rams were in the position where there were only 3 healthy CB's on the 53 man roster. To add a fourth, they would have to place someone on waivers. I'm guessing that they wanted to protect all of their other players and assumed that Thad would be the least likely to be claimed off of waivers. It's not that unusual to see a team only have two available quarterbacks in a game, but usually, it is due to an injury to the starting or backup quarterback.

And the Steelers could officially use another QB now that Dixon is out with a knee injury, as is Leftwich and Big Ben out with a suspension. My guess/hope is that the Steelers new WRs coach, Scotty Montgomery, will mention his name to Tomlin this week...

SCMatt33
09-20-2010, 05:44 PM
And the Steelers could officially use another QB now that Dixon is out with a knee injury, as is Leftwich and Big Ben out with a suspension. My guess/hope is that the Steelers new WRs coach, Scotty Montgomery, will mention his name to Tomlin this week...

It is highly doubtful that Thad will end up anywhere else. The waiver period is only 24 hours during the season, so unless there hasn't been an announcement for some reason, he hasn't been claimed. It is unlikely that he would choose to go to a team like the Steelers where he knows that he will eventually be the odd man out once everyone comes back. He knows there is a spot for him in St. Louis once the CB problem is fixed.

Turtleboy
09-20-2010, 06:32 PM
And the Steelers could officially use another QB now that Dixon is out with a knee injury, as is Leftwich and Big Ben out with a suspension. My guess/hope is that the Steelers new WRs coach, Scotty Montgomery, will mention his name to Tomlin this week...The Steelers just re-signed Leftwich.
(http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5597117)

stillcrazie
09-20-2010, 09:06 PM
According to a relative in St. Louis, if Thad clears waivers, the Rams can sign him back to the practice squad (for less money) and he still works with the team, but can't be activated for a game (without dumping someone else off of the active roster). Anyone know if this is true?

Acymetric
09-20-2010, 09:29 PM
According to a relative in St. Louis, if Thad clears waivers, the Rams can sign him back to the practice squad (for less money) and he still works with the team, but can't be activated for a game (without dumping someone else off of the active roster). Anyone know if this is true?

They could still bring him back to the active roster after he clears waivers, they'll just have to release someone else to keep the roster at 53. At least that's how I understand things. Whether they'll release anyone is another question, I suppose.

JasonEvans
09-20-2010, 10:57 PM
NFL Practice Squad players generally make around $90k for the season. Some are paid far more than that, depending on how badly the team wants to keep them and other contract circumstances.

--Jason "Thad was making a little less than $300k when he was on the full roster" Evans

CameronBornAndBred
09-20-2010, 11:04 PM
NFL Practice Squad players generally make around $90k for the season. Some are paid far more than that, depending on how badly the team wants to keep them and other contract circumstances.

--Jason "Thad was making a little less than $300k when he was on the full roster" Evans
How does it work with Thad being waived and then resigned? What did he sign in the first place, was there any guaranteed money? I would assume he signed a contract of some sort..does it say this is good until we dump you next week and then pick you back up under different terms?
As far as the practice squad goes, Patrick Bailey was signed to the Steelers' practice squad after graduating from Duke..then activated..then sent back to the practice squad...then activated again! End of year result? A super bowl ring and the honor of being named Steelers' rookie of the year. I don't know how many games he was actually suited up for, but it wasn't the whole season. Proof positive that coaches are paying attention to everyone in the clubhouse..if you earn your chance you will get it.

JasonEvans
09-21-2010, 08:30 AM
How does it work with Thad being waived and then resigned? What did he sign in the first place, was there any guaranteed money? I would assume he signed a contract of some sort..does it say this is good until we dump you next week and then pick you back up under different terms?
As far as the practice squad goes, Patrick Bailey was signed to the Steelers' practice squad after graduating from Duke..then activated..then sent back to the practice squad...then activated again! End of year result? A super bowl ring and the honor of being named Steelers' rookie of the year. I don't know how many games he was actually suited up for, but it wasn't the whole season. Proof positive that coaches are paying attention to everyone in the clubhouse..if you earn your chance you will get it.

NFL salaries are broken down by weeks you are employed. So, Thad makes 1/16th of $300k for each week he is on the full roster and 1/16th of $90k for each week he is on the practice squad. There are other payments for being on the pre-season roster.

While it is not the mega-dollars we generally associate with being a pro athlete, it is quite good money compared to virtually all of his Duke classmates ;)

At a certain point of success, players sign contracts that guarantee their full-season salaries so long as they are on the roster at various key moments.

--Jason "here is a thread on the Rams fan board (http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2010/9/18/1696525/rams-waive-thad-lewis) with folks talking about how much they want the team to retain Thad" Evans

Farlan
09-21-2010, 10:54 AM
This reminds me of a question I had during the preseaseon -- what happens to a player who is not under contract and is injured while trying to make a NFL team? Does the team or league cover his costs to recuperate?

SCMatt33
09-21-2010, 12:28 PM
This reminds me of a question I had during the preseaseon -- what happens to a player who is not under contract and is injured while trying to make a NFL team? Does the team or league cover his costs to recuperate?

I would doubt that any player in an NFL training camp isn't under some sort of contract. Generally, the players who aren't necessarily expected to make the roster sign a short term contract with no guarantees. Essentially, there is no one in training camp who isn't on the team, the team is just bigger before the regular season. I would also guess that contract requirements including health care issues are stipulated in the CBA. The only way I can see a player getting screwed in regards to injuries is if he is a free agent training on his own during the off-season, but I would also hope that anyone who doesn't have a contract has purchased his strong health insurance on his own, especially with the increased risk of injury.

I'm not 100% on any of that, since this type of minutiae isn't available from reliable sources on the internet, so if anyone has more reliable info, please add it. I would love to know for sure.

johnb
09-21-2010, 06:05 PM
According to this article, Thad did clear waivers and was signed to the practice squad.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-report/article_36162902-c5c3-11df-9654-00127992bc8b.html

throatybeard
09-04-2011, 02:35 PM
Thad did OK in the Rams preseason this past month, but has been re-cut, with AJ Feely remaining Bradford's backup:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-report/article_d1c6493e-d681-11e0-83d9-0019bb30f31a.html

Acymetric
09-04-2011, 03:57 PM
He has apparently been picked up by the Browns...not a great place necessarily but not a bad spot to fight for the QB job and Thad has experience with teams trying to overcome losing cultures.

Edit: Worth noting that Shurmur was the OC with the Rams, so he is familiar with Thad. Clearly thinks he is good enough to be in the NFL.

PumpkinFunk
09-04-2011, 05:10 PM
A lot of St. Louis fans on a blog I was looking at earlier today were pretty surprised that they cut Thad... seems that they felt that Thad was a better QB2 to keep than Feeley. Interesting pick-up by the Browns.

ArkieDukie
09-04-2011, 08:41 PM
A lot of St. Louis fans on a blog I was looking at earlier today were pretty surprised that they cut Thad... seems that they felt that Thad was a better QB2 to keep than Feeley. Interesting pick-up by the Browns.

This is EXACTLY what I've been hearing. I've talked to multiple Rams fans locally who thought Thad looked great in the pre-season. All are surprised by the cut and thought Thad should've been the #2 guy. Serves the Rams right if someone else picked him up.

ETA: Discussion on ESPN analysis thread seems to agree with everything I heard about the cuts: St. Louis Rams Cutdown Analysis (http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/44304/st-louis-rams-cutdown-analysis-2#comments).

CDu
09-04-2011, 10:21 PM
He has apparently been picked up by the Browns...not a great place necessarily but not a bad spot to fight for the QB job and Thad has experience with teams trying to overcome losing cultures.

Edit: Worth noting that Shurmur was the OC with the Rams, so he is familiar with Thad. Clearly thinks he is good enough to be in the NFL.

It's a better opportunity to compete for a backup spot, but the Browns are pretty committed to Colt McCoy as their #1 QB.

dukeballer2294
09-05-2011, 02:05 AM
I am a die hard rams fan and the feeling i have been getting from a lot of message boards is that aj feely could better help mentor sam bradford because of his experience. Thad was definitely a fan favorite though.

ArkieDukie
09-05-2011, 09:19 AM
It's a better opportunity to compete for a backup spot, but the Browns are pretty committed to Colt McCoy as their #1 QB.

That makes the situation quite similar to St. Louis then, since the Rams are pretty committed (and rightfully so) to Sam Bradford as their #1 QB. Injuries happen, so it's always a good idea to have a solid backup. I'm glad the Browns are giving Thad Lewis a shot.

ArkieDukie
09-05-2011, 09:26 AM
I am a die hard rams fan and the feeling i have been getting from a lot of message boards is that aj feely could better help mentor sam bradford because of his experience. Thad was definitely a fan favorite though.

That's what makes this decision questionable to me. Sam Bradford is no longer a rookie, and he had a solid year last year. At what point did he show that he needed AJ Feely to mentor him? The management chose to keep someone not as good as Thad, but with more experience, to mentor a quarterback who had a very good rookie season. Granted, I don't follow the Rams religiously, so I don't watch many games. However, being local, I hear quite a bit of chatter. Please correct me if I missed something.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that the Rams planned to claim Lewis off waivers and put him on the practice squad in the event that they needed him. Looks like that plan didn't work so well for them, since the Browns were impressed enough with Lewis' pre-season play to sign him. Maybe the Rams gambled and lost?

Acymetric
09-05-2011, 09:33 AM
I think the idea of older QBs mentoring young QBs is way overblown. And even if it isn't, is the guy for that job really Feeley?

Regardless, and to be clear I like Colt and want to see him have a good season, I think he is more likely to get hurt at some point in the season...Thad has a better chance of seeing the field in Cleveland.

CDu
09-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that the Rams planned to claim Lewis off waivers and put him on the practice squad in the event that they needed him. Looks like that plan didn't work so well for them, since the Browns were impressed enough with Lewis' pre-season play to sign him. Maybe the Rams gambled and lost?

This happens all the time. The Rams gambled that no one would claim Lewis. They lost that gamble. Apparently they felt more comfortable with Feeley as the injury backup than a guy who hasn't taken an NFL regular season snap.

CDu
09-05-2011, 10:38 AM
That makes the situation quite similar to St. Louis then, since the Rams are pretty committed (and rightfully so) to Sam Bradford as their #1 QB. Injuries happen, so it's always a good idea to have a solid backup. I'm glad the Browns are giving Thad Lewis a shot.

Except that there may be a better opportunity to be the #2 in Cleveland (I don't know who their backup QB is, but St Louis apparently preferred Feeley as their #2). So it's a better situation in that regard.

juise
09-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Except that there may be a better opportunity to be the #2 in Cleveland (I don't know who their backup QB is, but St Louis apparently preferred Feeley as their #2). So it's a better situation in that regard.

Seneca Wallace is the established backup. The Browns' GM said that the team was only planning to carry two QB's until Thad became available (http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2011/sep/05/wssport03-browns-pick-up-ex-duke-qb-lewis-ar-1358624/), which could be perceived as positive or negative.

When I was watching preseason highlights at NFL.com the other day, I not only stumbled across some nice Thad highlights from the Ram's last preseason game, but also a nice clip of Eron Riley catching the Broncos' only TD (courtesy Tim Tebow). Apparently, he was also waived and later signed to the Broncos' practice squad. The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18817968) had some nice words to say about Eron after the aforementioned game:

Nobody made a bigger last impression in the preseason than rookie wide receiver Eron Riley​. Riley caught three passes for 144 yards and a touchdown Thursday night, including the 43-yard score from Tim Tebow to go with an 89-yard catch-and-run on a pass from Adam Weber on the Broncos' final possession of the game.

"They always say, don't count the reps, make the reps count," Riley said after the game. "I left it all out there, so whatever happens, I can't be mad at myself."

ArkieDukie
09-11-2011, 09:00 PM
http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/276188/3/Rams-QB-Bradford-leaves-game

Wonder how the Rams feel about the decision to cut Lewis now. Sure hope the injury to Bradford isn't a bad one.

killerleft
09-12-2011, 12:44 PM

Wonder how the Rams feel about the decision to cut Lewis now. Sure hope the injury to Bradford isn't a bad one.

I feel just as bad about it, 'cuz I would love to see Thad get his chance in the NFL. For those of you waiting for Duke to win eight games (or whatever) a year before you commit to watching a game in person, you really missed out - Thad's improvement in four years at Duke, game by game, was one of the very good things I've been party to seeing as a Duke fan. He has the intangible thingys going for him, too. And nobody questions his toughness.

throatybeard
09-13-2011, 02:39 PM

SJ39 is all busted up too, and it sounds like he's less likely to play than Bradford. I may be adding Cadillac to the end of my bench in some fantasy leagues.

75Crazie
08-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Dusting off an old thread here, because I wanted to highlight an article about my second favorite Duke quarterback (after Ben Bennett). Thad is still generating some positive press in Cleveland: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/21/pat-shurmur-hints-thad-lewis-will-be-third-quarterback/ .

killerleft
08-28-2012, 03:18 PM
I have nothing more to add about Thad that I didn't say earlier in the thread, but it would really be nice for him to someday get a chance to show what he's got in a regular-season game. Good luck, Thad!

nocilla
08-28-2012, 03:20 PM
Dusting off an old thread here, because I wanted to highlight an article about my second favorite Duke quarterback (after Ben Bennett). Thad is still generating some positive press in Cleveland: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/21/pat-shurmur-hints-thad-lewis-will-be-third-quarterback/ .

Well I am confused. I saw this yesterday and looked into it. He did pretty well in the preseason opener against Detroit and this article came out shortly after that game. However, according to the boxscores he didn't play in the next 2 preseason games. I don't see any news of him being hurt. Wallace and McCoy continue to play even though the article indicated that one of them could be dropped to make room for Thad. If they were interested in keeping him, I would think they would be playing him. Anyone with more insight?

CameronBornAndBred
08-28-2012, 03:23 PM
Well I am confused. I saw this yesterday and looked into it. He did pretty well in the preseason opener against Detroit and this article came out shortly after that game. However, according to the boxscores he didn't play in the next 2 preseason games. I don't see any news of him being hurt. Wallace and McCoy continue to play even though the article indicated that one of them could be dropped to make room for Thad. If they were interested in keeping him, I would think they would be playing him. Anyone with more insight?

I've noticed the same. I do bet he gets significant playing time in the last game since the starters usually are kept out.

sporthenry
08-28-2012, 05:15 PM

I think this is a case similar to VY in Buffalo or Trent Edwards in Philadelphia where the team needs a true backup QB and uses the 3rd QB on a young QB they can develop. They think they can develop Thad and if they cut him risk losing him meanwhile, you only really need one veteran backup and in case of injury, you can always go out and get another veteran QB like VY or the loser of the Wallace/McCoy battle who will be out of a job soon. So it is a bit unfortunate he isn't getting snaps but he should be fairly safe in a job assuming they want to keep working with him.

BlueDevilBrowns
08-28-2012, 07:03 PM
As both a serious Duke and Browns fan, I can tell you Shurmer is very high on Thad, having coached him in St. Louis his rookie season and knows what Thad brings to the table, hence not needing to see him in game action during the preseason. In-fact, Lewis played well in the 1st preseason game against Detroit, leading the Browns back to win the game with 2 scoring drives in the 4th quarter. After the game, Pat Shurmer praised Thad's ability to play without a moment's notice and excell. Thad's contract is obviously modest and Shurmer believes in his potential to grow, so look for the Browns to either trade McCoy(higher trade value than Wallace) or cut/trade Seneca Wallace($3 million contract this year) and keep Thad as the developmental 3rd string.

THE SEASON'S SHORT SO BARK HARD!... GO BROWNS!!!

JasonEvans
08-28-2012, 10:27 PM
Should he make the team, as seems likely, Thad will earn something like $435,000 this season. I am not sure, but I would imagine he has made well over $1 million in his short, sideline-filled NFL career so far. It may not be a fortune that will allow him to never work another day in his life, but even if his NFL career never includes a single meaningful snap, he will have a great head start on whatever life brings him next.

-Jason "that said, I know he has worked his butt off and I'd love to see him get a chance to show the world what he can do some time" Evans

CameronBornAndBred
08-29-2012, 08:34 AM
Should he make the team, as seems likely, Thad will earn something like $435,000 this season.
Which is another reason Cleveland is likely to keep him vs. one of the other two options...Thad is the cheapest.

I mean the one with the most value!!

CameronBornAndBred
08-29-2012, 06:12 PM
McCoy is starting, Weeden will sit, and Lewis and Wallace will play. No idea how long Thad will get, but there is is this....

Thad Lewis took the majority of reps, which means he'll probably get plenty of playing time against the Bears

http://www.tribtoday.com/page/content.detail/id/575910/Browns--final-safety-position-still-up-for-grabs.html?nav=5024

nocilla
09-05-2012, 01:20 PM
This may be old news but I didn't see it posted.

Thad did play in Cleveland's final preseason game. He was an unimpressive 4/9 passing for 56 yds and an INT. He also ran the ball 3 times for 23 yds.

The Browns did cut Seneca Wallace though, leaving Thad as the 3rd string QB.

cspan37421
09-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Thad did play in Cleveland's final preseason game. He was an unimpressive 4/9 passing for 56 yds and an INT. He also ran the ball 3 times for 23 yds.

Sounds no worse than Tebow!