PDA

View Full Version : Autumn Movies

cf-62
09-19-2010, 08:03 PM
so we're out of summer blockbusters and in a lull before HP VII comes out. What are the movies that pique your interest most?

JBDuke
09-19-2010, 08:46 PM
Three immediately come to mind for me:

1. "Red", the comedy/action film starring Bruce Willis as the retired leader of a special ops team that has to get them back together for a special mission. Helen Mirren as a sniper!

2. "Tron: Legacy", if only for the nostalgia. To prep for this one, I get to introduce my 12-year-old stepson to the original.

3. "How Do You Know", James L. Brooks's newest feature. It's a rom/com about a romantic triangle between Reese Witherspoon, Paul Rudd, and Owen Wilson. I like the cast, and Brooks's directorial efforts rarely miss. His other works: "Spanglish", "As Good As It Gets", "I'll Do Anything", "Broadcast News", and "Terms of Endearment".

bjornolf
09-20-2010, 06:05 AM
Three immediately come to mind for me:

1. "Red", the comedy/action film starring Bruce Willis as the retired leader of a special ops team that has to get them back together for a special mission. Helen Mirren as a sniper!

2. "Tron: Legacy", if only for the nostalgia. To prep for this one, I get to introduce my 12-year-old stepson to the original.

3. "How Do You Know", James L. Brooks's newest feature. It's a rom/com about a romantic triangle between Reese Witherspoon, Paul Rudd, and Owen Wilson. I like the cast, and Brooks's directorial efforts rarely miss. His other works: "Spanglish", "As Good As It Gets", "I'll Do Anything", "Broadcast News", and "Terms of Endearment".

I am TOTALLY juiced for Tron, but isn't that a Christmas release? I've heard from everyone that "The Town" is supposed to be EXCELLENT. Any chance we get a review, Jason or others? :D

hurleyfor3
09-20-2010, 07:42 AM
I am TOTALLY juiced for Tron, but isn't that a Christmas release?

Well, December 17 is still technically autumn. Just as today is still technically summer. 96 down in Denver yesterday, Leadville hit 75.

cf-62
09-29-2010, 01:09 AM
Went and saw Easy A. Expecting typical teen comedy junk. Pleasantly surprised. Emma Stone is awesome, and the story was a nice homage to Scarlet Letter, as opposed to a comedic re-write.

Tom B.
09-29-2010, 04:14 PM
Went and saw Easy A. Expecting typical teen comedy junk. Pleasantly surprised. Emma Stone is awesome, and the story was a nice homage to Scarlet Letter, as opposed to a comedic re-write.

Agreed. I knew nothing about Easy A, but my wife heard good things about it and I saw that it had been well-reviewed, so we saw it last weekend. It's very clever, with strong writing and a number of laugh-out-loud moments. Its one weakness is that it's a little too overtly referential to the 80s teen comedy/John Hughes genre (though I imagine many of the references are lost on the film's target audience, most of whom were either in diapers or not even born yet when those movies were made), but overall it was very enjoyable. I think this is the movie that will make Emma Stone a bona fide star -- she pretty much owns it from start to finish, though Stanley Tucci and Patricia Clarkson (who play her parents) manage to steal a couple of scenes.

cf-62
10-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Saw The Town over the weekend. Slow at times, but a nice heist flick.

So many movies today (for theaters and television) set up so many sub-plots, only to pull a Lost and just ignore most of the questions.

Everything in The Town came together nicely.

C