PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke vs Alabama post game thread

Bob Green
09-18-2010, 07:10 PM
Discuss it here.

The good: we ran the ball for 144 yards. Now this might seem like a BS stat after a 62-13 butt whuppin', however, the ability to run the ball is important to winning future games. We don't have to play Alabama again.

The bad: no points in the 2nd half.

The ugly: unknown, but perhaps the injury report. Hopefully, Johnny Williams is okay.

roywhite
09-18-2010, 07:50 PM
I guess the main value in a game like today is to see first hand what an outstanding football team looks like and plays like. Alabama has size, speed, multiple offensive weapons, good coaching, and are excellent at the basics of blocking and tackling.

We sometimes hear from our basketball opponents that have been wiped out by Duke that the game was a valuable experience, so this game today can be that sort of thing. We may not approach Alabama's excellence, but Coach Cut can keep moving Duke in a positive direction.

Our defense has a long, long way to go.

moonpie23
09-18-2010, 08:08 PM
bama would whup most any college team at this point....

i give our guys a big thank you for going out there and gettin after it!!

go duke

Dukeface88
09-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Discuss it here.

The good: we ran the ball for 144 yards. Now this might seem like a BS stat after a 62-13 butt whuppin', however, the ability to run the ball is important to winning future games. We don't have to play Alabama again.

We scored a touchdown. It's not much, but it's more than Penn State can say.

DevilHorns
09-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Our offense scored the first touchdown on Alabama this year.

If our receivers weren't scared of getting pummeled (which I don't blame them for as a fair number of thrown balls were 'leaving them out to dry'), we could have racked up more yards through the air. Our running game and O-line are legit. Our offense should be very successful in the ACC this year.

We played the current best team in easily the toughest conference in america. And I think we honestly did about as good as we could have. Our corners appear more than a few inches shorter than their counterparts on offense. Our interior defense are just a step below the elite Alabama offensive weapons.

Even though this game was rough, I feel like we're taking steps in the right direction. Give it a few years.

4decadedukie
09-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Doubtless, we were "taken to the woodshed" today, however Duke's football PROGRAM continues to show improvement in many areas, especially the most important ones: on-field play, coaching, recruiting, and student/fan/alumni support. I am not suggesting that our results warrant celebration, but Duke's football decline was measured in decades and I suggest our restoration will take only several more years. In addition, I believe we need to have reasonable expectations; specifically, I do not believe that the Trustees, the senior administrative leadership, or the Athletic Department envision Duke as a National Championship contender. To do so would probably jeopardize critical Duke attributes including demanding academics and most selective admissions. On the other hand, I feel it is reasonable that by the middle of this decade we compete successfully with ACC schools such as UNC, Wake, UVa, and BC and that we occasionally defeat universities including Miami, VPI and Clemson.

cspan37421
09-18-2010, 09:17 PM
Our interior defense are just a step below the elite Alabama offensive weapons.

So many thoughts came to my mind -

disbelief: did we watch the same game?
humor (paging Ned Ryerson): watch that first step, it's a doozy!
gut check: you weren't being facetious, were you?

It's nice that so many of us support coach Cut and are making lemonade out of lemons. But our defense was really spanked today. AL averaged 9 yards a rush and 12 per pass attempt. Funny to hear Saban say that he felt his defense played below their standard in the first half - they shut us out in the second. Guess his halftime speech worked.

Four years ago we led AL at half and only trailed 16-14 going into the fourth quarter. Granted, AL has improved, but supposedly so have we. I think our offense undoubtedly has. Our running game - 4 yards per attempt against Bama?! That's great, actually. And our passing game is pretty good - perhaps soph Renfree will be better than senior Lewis eventually, but he's not there yet. That's OK.

But the defense has not been as strong, it seems. Giving up 54 to Wake, heck, 27 to Elon, and let's be honest, Bama could have put up nearly 100 if they were willing to risk injury to their starters after the game was out of hand. Maybe Roof knew something about defense. Didn't we make Tennessee sweat pretty hard one year, maybe down 9-6 going into the fourth? I'm not saying he didn't have to move on, but I'm not sure our defense is as good as it was. Hopefully they can turn it around ... and quick!

Merlindevildog91
09-18-2010, 09:18 PM
I thought our O-line played pretty well. Josh Snead is a keeper, and we had some good running plays. I thought Renfree hung in the pocket, and he made some nice throws (some of which, unfortunately, were dropped). We had a couple of kickoffs into the end zone. Our guys were still playing hard and hustling even when the outcome was no longer in doubt. Some young players got a chance to get game experience.

Obviously we have a long way to go, but it could have been a lot worse.

Kewlswim
09-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Hi,

I hope our football playing freshman get a chance to play Alabama again before their tenure at Duke is through. I want them to save the arrogant quotes by Ingram about how the Tide wants to dispirit the teams they play so much that they never want to play them again. Au Contraire, I want to play them again and again. Enjoy it while you can, Alabama and all the Duke haters across the land, because slowly, but surely Duke is putting it together.

Coach Cut and his kids will look back on this game and it will either be a turning point or yet another Duke football team headed to the depths of depression. Football is a game won and lost on the offensive and defensive lines, always has been, always will be. So far our defensive line looks terrible and our offensive line looks much improved. Once the defensive line gets the help it needs we will be fine.

Roll DUKE Roll... :)

GO DUKE!

Greg_Newton
09-18-2010, 09:41 PM
I just can't figure out why the line was only 23-24 - Bama was bigger, stronger and often faster at every position, and you're just not going to compete at that level unless you're getting those kind of athletes. Nothing our guys could have done.

However, like others, I was pretty encouraged by our running game. I only saw the first half (since I was watching on replay and knew the result), but I'd say we actually won the battle of the trenches against Alabama's first team DL more often than not when we ran, and Snead and Scott were up to the task.

That's encouraging to me, grotesque score aside - in these games, it's not so much the final score but whether or not you competed in certain areas against the best in the business.

I also think this will be good for our young guys. Maybe it'll give them some confidence against the Miami's and UNC's of the world in the future - they'll never play another team this good as this Alabama team, so they'll have nothing to be afraid of.

DevilHorns
09-18-2010, 10:06 PM
So many thoughts came to my mind -

disbelief: did we watch the same game?
humor (paging Ned Ryerson): watch that first step, it's a doozy!
gut check: you weren't being facetious, were you?

It's nice that so many of us support coach Cut and are making lemonade out of lemons. But our defense was really spanked today. AL averaged 9 yards a rush and 12 per pass attempt. Funny to hear Saban say that he felt his defense played below their standard in the first half - they shut us out in the second. Guess his halftime speech worked.

Four years ago we led AL at half and only trailed 16-14 going into the fourth quarter. Granted, AL has improved, but supposedly so have we. I think our offense undoubtedly has. Our running game - 4 yards per attempt against Bama?! That's great, actually. And our passing game is pretty good - perhaps soph Renfree will be better than senior Lewis eventually, but he's not there yet. That's OK.

But the defense has not been as strong, it seems. Giving up 54 to Wake, heck, 27 to Elon, and let's be honest, Bama could have put up nearly 100 if they were willing to risk injury to their starters after the game was out of hand. Maybe Roof knew something about defense. Didn't we make Tennessee sweat pretty hard one year, maybe down 9-6 going into the fourth? I'm not saying he didn't have to move on, but I'm not sure our defense is as good as it was. Hopefully they can turn it around ... and quick!

A step below, like a rung on a ladder. As in, clearly, they are on a different level.

At least UNC also lost today.

weezie
09-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Well, the temporary end zone seats were actually not too bad. We got to walk past the AL bench along the track, pretty close up, before the game, which was extremely cool. That's the closest I've ever physically been to a pro (;)) team. And, man alive, they are every bit as big and impressive as can be imagined. Maybe it's been remarked upon elsewhere but their fans were respectful and more than tolerable.
Seeing Coach K make an appearance on the Duke sideline was a treat. I couldn't figure out what made him look so different until I realized it was the fact he was outside and in sunglasses. :cool:
Nate and Chris were shepherding some young guys, maybe a recruit was in tow, too.

Enjoyed meeting the DBR/Crazie crew. All gracious,welcoming and classy people, as expected.
The 'holes loss was a crowd pleaser in our section.

Newton_14
09-18-2010, 10:23 PM
Well, the temporary end zone seats were actually not too bad. We got to walk past the AL bench along the track, pretty close up, before the game, which was extremely cool. That's the closest I've ever physically been to a pro (;)) team. And, man alive, they are every bit as big and impressive as can be imagined. Maybe it's been remarked upon elsewhere but their fans were respectful and more than tolerable.
Seeing Coach K make an appearance on the Duke sideline was a treat. I couldn't figure out what made him look so different until I realized it was the fact he was outside and in sunglasses. :cool:
Nate and Chris were shepherding some young guys, maybe a recruit was in tow, too.

Enjoyed meeting the DBR/Crazie crew. All gracious,welcoming and classy people, as expected.
The 'holes loss was a crowd pleaser in our section.

Totally agree on Alabama fans. I met many of them and all were gracious and nice. Tailgated with several. The size of Alabama at every position was incredible. Easily the biggest and best college team I have ever seen in person.

Highlight of the day for me was meeting Kenny Dennard during tailgating activities with Devil In Bluedress! I hung out with DIB, OldPhiCap and stopped by CB&B's tent.

Game was disappointing of course but like someone else mentioned, our guys faced the best of the best today, so facing the "powers" of the ACC will be child's play compared to today. Our defense is young and green, and have a lot to learn, but it is a process. Like K says, this is a marathon not a sprint. Cut has the team moving in the right direction and he is building a program. It will not happen overnight, but I do believe the day will come when we win more that we lose, and days like today never happen.

Bring on Army. Next Play.

weezie
09-18-2010, 10:34 PM
One other thing: does anyone else who was there today share in my opinion that the not so very funny anymore undergrad costumed tailgating has gone on past it's shelf life?

There seems to be an endless supply of "fun-loving" drunks wearing striped socks and tutus while swinging half cans of beer in benediction of the crowds of geezers like me filing into the stadium. Yeah, yeah, I'm sure I'm sounding like a tiresome old scold but how about a little respect for our team sweating their hearts out on that field.
Maybe the kiddos could try a dressy tailgate for a change, like the olden days?

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-18-2010, 10:35 PM
The size of Alabama's players is a significant advantage over many teams. I suspect their third team could beat many ACC teams. As for comparing this game to the Duke - Alabama game a few years back, both programs have improved..... exponentially. The wider separation in level of play today reflects the extent to which Alabama has increased the gap between the level of play of these two teams.

After seeing Alabama today, I wondered when they might consider scheduling the Colts or the Saints.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-18-2010, 10:39 PM
One other thing: does anyone else who was there today share in my opinion that the not so very funny anymore undergrad costumed tailgating has gone on past it's shelf life?

There seems to be an endless supply of "fun-loving" drunks wearing striped socks and tutus while swinging half cans of beer in benediction of the crowds of geezers like me filing into the stadium. Yeah, yeah, I'm sure I'm sounding like a tiresome old scold but how about a little respect for our team sweating their hearts out on that field.
Maybe the kiddos could try a dressy tailgate for a change, like the olden days?
Yes, it's old, but at least none threw up or had the dry heaves beside my tailgate tent this year.

On a slightly different subject related to our students, I was very pleased with how many were at the game, stayed involved in cheering and supporting the team and remained in the stadium even as Alabama built up their lead.

Farlan
09-18-2010, 10:40 PM
I thought the Alabama fans were great! They appreciated Duke's hospitality and were gracious during the game with kind words about Duke's effort. It's the same kind of classy behavior that I hope most Duke Basketball fans display.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-18-2010, 10:43 PM
I thought the Alabama fans were great! They appreciated Duke's hospitality and were gracious during the game with kind words about Duke's effort. It's the same kind of classy behavior that I hope most Duke Basketball fans display.
Some joined our tailgate party and seemed pleasantly surprised that they were welcome. It was also clear that many of them knew more about Wallace Wade than some of us. .... and that's saying something since he left Alabama in 1931 to come to Duke.

jipops
09-18-2010, 11:30 PM
It looks like we finally have a running game. Snead has some very nice quicks. As has been noted the D needs tons of work. Some at the game said they saw the writing on the wall concerning the D against Elon. Renfree also had to be very frustrated in this one.

Gerald Henderson and Michael Beasley were there hanging out with Nolan Smith.

DU82
09-19-2010, 12:06 AM
A couple of observations:

As others said, we're a step behind athletically (a large rung below the ladder.) The strength of their runners and line (their center, in particular, was huge) shows up in our missed tackles, and their breaking out of packs (along with their speed, of course.)

We seemed really nervous on offense to start, with Renfree missing some easy passes. In fact, I think his first pass of the game, if he leads his receiver right, and not too much, goes for a 70 yard score. (The receiver, either Vernon or Varner, had only one man to beat, and had the angle.) That would have changed the game, at least when we had the ball.

Along the same lines, everything seemed a lot quicker, and rushed. Their players are obviously quicker and stronger than Elon or Wake, and Renfree seemed to try and play faster, which resulted in more missed passes (along with more drops, since I'm guessing the receivers weren't expecting the ball that soon.)

An example of that was the fake punt. Alex King had plenty of time to throw (nobody was around him) but he rushed it and through it to the first guy he saw, who wasn't close to getting a first down, had he caught the ball. (In Alex's defense, he's just been moved up to first string, and probably hasn't practiced that play much. He definitely got off some good punts, including one of 63 yards with no return.)

Wallace Wade felt like big time college football today, thanks to the Alabama crowd. The guy next to me, who flew in from London for the game (!!), said he hadn't seen a game like this in WW since 1976, playing Pitt. Even though it didn't go the way we wanted it to, it was exciting to be there.

I'll echo the feelings about the 'Bama fans. While there were a few jerks (as there are in every crowd), the vast majority were great to talk to and sit with during the game. Some of our fans could learn a few things while visiting others' arenas.

Duke: A Dynasty
09-19-2010, 04:09 AM
It looks like we finally have a running game. Snead has some very nice quicks. As has been noted the D needs tons of work. Some at the game said they saw the writing on the wall concerning the D against Elon. Renfree also had to be very frustrated in this one.

Gerald Henderson and Michael Beasley were there hanging out with Nolan Smith.

you sure that was Gerald? cause quinn cook was supposed to be there today with nolan and beasley. all 3 are great friends.

sciencegeek
09-19-2010, 08:28 AM
you sure that was Gerald? cause quinn cook was supposed to be there today with nolan and beasley. all 3 are great friends.

I also saw Wojo and Nate James at the game. They were sitting a few rows away in section 27.

A-Tex Devil
09-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Could someone who is more technologically savvy than me that hasn't burned the game tape please post the clip of Hightower decking Vernon in the third quarter right after Vernon alligator armed a pass. Then Hightower kindly picks him up off the ground like Vernon weighs 20 pounds? It was the game in a microcosm and added a little humor to an otherwise tough game. It would be appreciated!! (And it may have been Varner -- -one of the Vs)

OZZIE4DUKE
09-19-2010, 11:25 AM
I also saw Wojo and Nate James at the game. They were sitting a few rows away in section 27.
That's the first time in many years that the coaches have used that/those seats and attended a game, even if Wojo only stayed for part of the first quarter. 25 years ago, the coaches used to sit there with recruits and their parents on a regular basis. I met Joey Beard and his folks at one game when he was being recruited.

mapei
09-19-2010, 11:45 AM
As the most casual of fans when it comes to football, I can't help but note that it says so much about Duke football that, after giving up 116 points in our last two games and getting beat by 49 yesterday, most posters are feeling that we're on the right track.

And I don't disagree, really: 4 wins and 5 wins in the last two seasons are better than the 1, zero, and 1 in the three that preceded them. But, wow, the hole that we're trying to climb out of was sooooo deep.

Olympic Fan
09-19-2010, 11:58 AM
It's pretty obvious that as of this moment, Duke has half a football team.

The offense is first-rate ... I'm not saying it's the best in the country (for instance, Alabama's is much better), but it's a well above average FBS offense. The passing game has been first-rate for years, buit now Cut has added an effective running game.

Best of all, the offense starts just three seniors (and one of those, Harper at OG, is alternating with a redshirt freshman). So the long-term prospects are great.

On the other hand, the defense is terrible.

I'd love to mince words and make nice, but there is no hiding it. Duke can't defend at all. It's not so much the 62 points to a great Alabama team, but the 54 points to Wake Forest and the 27 to Elon.

I think the defensive problems come down to two things:

(1) The defensive line just does not have the physical talent to compete at the FBS level. The graduation of Oghobaase and Opokowuruk and the rest hurt badly. The off-season dismissal of John Drew was devastating.

(2) The physically talented youngsters trying to break in at LB and DB just aren't ready. Unlike the guys playing on the line, these guys DO have the physical skills to complete with most FBS teams. But they are not ready -- which shows in the frequent breakdowns.

I have hope that as the season develops, guys like Glover and Cockrell and Campbell and Gamble and Rojas and Canty and Young-Wisemen and Justin Foxx will develop and blossom. Hopefully, we'll get to the point in the program where guys won't have to play before they are ready.

I'm less optimistic about making headway this season on the defensive front. Only a few true freshmen are mature enough to play on the DL (which is why Drew was so special). I doubt that any of this year's freshmen at that position are ready to make an impact. Hopefully by next year guys like Bruce and Sink and Ingram and Bryant will be ready to help.

For this year, I'm hoping the LBs and DBs improve enough to give our excellent offense a chance to win some shootouts.

PS Did anybody notice freshman LB Kelby Brown? In his college debut, he had a sack and a fumble recovery. More hope for the future.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-19-2010, 11:59 AM
As the most casual of fans when it comes to football, I can't help but note that it says so much about Duke football that, after giving up 116 points in our last two games and getting beat by 49 yesterday, most posters are feeling that we're on the right track.

And I don't disagree, really: 4 wins and 5 wins in the last two seasons are better than the 1, zero, and 1 in the three that preceded them. But, wow, the hole that we're trying to climb out of was sooooo deep.
It's one thing to read about a team like Alabama; it's another thing to see them play. Their size, strength and skill would be a challenge to any team including some pro teams. There was so much more to that game than the stats you mentioned.

Considering how easily the Duke team could have been shell shocked for the entire game, it's indeed remarkable that they managed to score the only touchdown that's been scored on Alabama so far this season.

t will be interesting to see how much others can score on Alabama as the season unfolds. It will also be interesting to see how Duke plays in subsequent games this year.

Take a look at the Wake - Stanford outcome. Wake lost by a similar margin. (Stanford 68, Wake 24)

jjh1080
09-19-2010, 12:17 PM
7 big points! 49-7 final; actually it think it might be worse.

It was worse.

Ingram had over 100 yards in the first quarter, his first rush of the year was over 40 yards.

Duke football will be lucky to get 4 wins this season. NO bowl games in the near future, next 2 years.

Hey, do you think Duke can lure Butch Davis away from his current gig? I think he could get Duke to a bowl game.

jipops
09-19-2010, 12:21 PM

Positive it was Gerald. Not sure if Cook was there though he wouldn't be as recognizable to me as the other guys.

Bob Green
09-19-2010, 12:44 PM
It's pretty obvious that as of this moment, Duke has half a football team....the defense is terrible....

Not that I'm writing off 2010, but my concern for next season is the six starters on defense who are seniors: Patrick Egboh, Wes Oglesby, Abraham Kromah, Damian Thornton, Chris Rwabukamba, and Adam Banks. That's a lot to replace so the youngsters really need to progress this season so they are ready to step up into starting roles in 2011.

The coaching staff has a big task in front of them so they are going to have to keep recruiting and developing to build the defense into a competitive squad.

hudlow
09-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Hey, do you think Duke can lure Butch Davis away from his current gig? I think he could get Duke to a bowl game.

Probably could...but winning without cheating means something at Duke.

Wildcat
09-19-2010, 01:17 PM
I think the idea of playing top-tier teams is great; I just wonder was it too soon for you guys
to face off with the number one team in the country. It takes time to "build" a program;
win consistently in your conference first; continue to build and excite your fan-base, which
obviously Cut has done. Then reach for bigger and better opponents. I wonder was
yesterday's game an intrinsic embarrassment to Cut. I would like to see you win those close
conference games before you take on the real powerhouses of college football. Yesterday
was a good barometer as to where you are, compared to other power programs. Go Duke!

mpj96
09-19-2010, 01:27 PM
This was the first Duke football game I've been to for many years -- possibly since graduation. It won't be my last, however, as I bought season tix. Cutliffe, Renfree and Vernon have me in an optimistic mindset despite the results from this weekend.

2 questions, the first practical. Are the bounce houses always there or just for big games like this one where a larger than average turn out is expected? My kids loved it.

Second, much has been said in basketball threads about Coach K's response to the blowout at the hands of UVA. This game was a whipping and I hope no recruits were there for any Duke team. Do our guys just try to forget this? Or never forget this? I would think that if we are going to really compete it will have to be the latter. No silver linings, just motivation and lots and lots and lots and lots of hard work.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-19-2010, 01:44 PM
This was the first Duke football game I've been to for many years -- possibly since graduation. It won't be my last, however, as I bought season tix. Cutliffe, Renfree and Vernon have me in an optimistic mindset despite the results from this weekend.

2 questions, the first practical. Are the bounce houses always there or just for big games like this one where a larger than average turn out is expected? My kids loved it.

Second, much has been said in basketball threads about Coach K's response to the blowout at the hands of UVA. This game was a whipping and I hope no recruits were there for any Duke team. Do our guys just try to forget this? Or never forget this? I would think that if we are going to really compete it will have to be the latter. No silver linings, just motivation and lots and lots and lots and lots of hard work.

(1) Your children can enjoy bouncing around before each game. The same sort of entertainment was provided at each game last year.
(2) There were 100+ football recruits there and several basketball recruits as well. Coach Cutcliffe didn't seem concerned about the final score turning away good recruits who may have viewed this as a situation where they could really make a difference. The atmosphere was certainly a positive factor.

Olympic Fan
09-19-2010, 03:32 PM
Not that I'm writing off 2010, but my concern for next season is the six starters on defense who are seniors: Patrick Egboh, Wes Oglesby, Abraham Kromah, Damian Thornton, Chris Rwabukamba, and Adam Banks. That's a lot to replace so the youngsters really need to progress this season so they are ready to step up into starting roles in 2011.

The coaching staff has a big task in front of them so they are going to have to keep recruiting and developing to build the defense into a competitive squad.

I have the exact opposite reaction. The guys Duke will lose are -- on the whole -- not FBS talented players. They are starting because they have experience and know what to do.

Duke has very little to replace going into next season -- a couple of capable tight ends (Huffman and King), one solid wide receiver (Kelly) and an undersized, but very smart and dependable center (Bryan Morgan).

Nobody on defense will be missed ... nobody.

The players who will take their places are MUCH more physically gifted. The question is how much can they learn in the next year.

I know it's hard to be optimistic when you watch a whipping like we saw Saturday, but think back to March of 1983. At the end of his third season, Coach K saw his freshman-dominated Duke team routed by 43 points (109-66) in the ACC Tournament by Virginia.

If there had been an internet and a DBR then, would we be despairing that Duke basketball was awful and would never get any better?

Yet, the next year, those same players took Duke to the ACC finals and a No. 14 finish in the AP poll ... and by the time they were seniors, they were playing for the national championship and were ranked No. 1 in the nation.

I'm not equating what Cut has on hand with what K had in 1983, just suggesting that kids do grow up. He's at the stage in his program where he has to play guys who aren't ready. When they are ready, these guys might be pretty good -- not No. 1 in the nation good, but an above-average FBS defense.

And, as I said, the offense is already above average good ... and as long as Renfree stays healthy, it should remain that way for at least the next three years.

I'll give you one more analogy. Jim Grobe at Wake Forest has the program we need to aspire to match. Our resources and our academic hurdles are comparable with theirs. He took over a program, in 2001 which was in only slightly better shape than the one that Cutcliffe inherited.

Grobe didn't turn it around overnight. His first five Wake teams finished 7th, 7th, 7th, 9th (in a nine-team league) and finally 5th (in a six-team division) in the ACC. After two straight 4-7 seasons in 2004 and 2005, his SIXTH Wake team won 11 games and the ACC title in 2006. He won nine games in 2007 and eight games the next year.

My point is that it takes time -- more time in football than in basketball.

Cut is on the right track. I know it's tough to plead for patience, but when you get angry or embarrassed or frustrated, just think about that Duke-Virginia game in 1983 and remember what came out of that.

mpj96
09-19-2010, 03:43 PM
DIBD,

(1) thanks for the info! Always nice to be able to set expectations for the little ones.

(2) My recruiting comment was a bit of a throw away. I am more interested in what this team's response to the loss will be than the response of prospective members of any future team. It would be very tempting to say we did very well considering blah, blah, blah. I wonder if Cutliffe will handle it like K or be more philosophical.

Since you did mention that several basketball recruits were there, who were they? I thought I saw one much discussed recruit and then thought, "nah, couldn't be..."

Although this would not have been my choice of events to showcase what Duke is all about, I'm no expert. I don't know what works with HS kids these days and I don't know what either coach's actual feelings were about showcasing a drubbing.

You say Cutliffe didn't seem concerned about it. If K and Cutliffe are happy with how yesterday went I'd be surprised but readily admit that they know a lot more about their respective sports and what it takes to be a successful recruiter than I. The atmosphere was good considering that our team was getting demolished on the field. But that's a big "considering"...

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-19-2010, 04:16 PM
DIBD,

(1) thanks for the info! Always nice to be able to set expectations for the little ones.

(2) My recruiting comment was a bit of a throw away. I am more interested in what this team's response to the loss will be than the response of prospective members of any future team. It would be very tempting to say we did very well considering blah, blah, blah. I wonder if Cutliffe will handle it like K or be more philosophical.

Since you did mention that several basketball recruits were there, who were they? I thought I saw one much discussed recruit and then thought, "nah, couldn't be..."

Although this would not have been my choice of events to showcase what Duke is all about, I'm no expert. I don't know what works with HS kids these days and I don't know what either coach's actual feelings were about showcasing a drubbing.

You say Cutliffe didn't seem concerned about it. If K and Cutliffe are happy with how yesterday went I'd be surprised but readily admit that they know a lot more about their respective sports and what it takes to be a successful recruiter than I. The atmosphere was good considering that our team was getting demolished on the field. But that's a big "considering"...

What could Coach Cutcliffe say he was asked after the game if the score would scare away recruits?

When I had a conversation with the basketball managers I know, I didn't ask them who was on campus though will likely hear more later.

I talked with several Alabama fans before and after the game yesterday..... just met these folks yesterday; had never seen them before!. They made some interesting comments. One was that they wished that Coach Cutcliffe was their coach..... now. They said they'd rather have his excellent coaching and loyalty than an outstanding coach who will eventually leave.

CameronBornAndBred
09-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Here's my thoughts without reading everyone else's yet (going back and doing that now)...yesterday was just flat out fun! There were several moments of frustration, Renfree and the receiving corps picked a bad day to have bad games (Helfet specifically), but beyond the loss itself I've never had that much fun watching a blowout. The day started at 7am in the lots, and ended at 9PM as we finally left. The Alabama fans were great. Besides traveling insanely well, they were wonderful guests, and I think Duke did a really nice job of playing host to them. As with the Elon game, I took tons of photos..so feel free to look for familiar names and faces..there are also some game shots as well.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/album.php?aid=218651&id=330893144629

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-19-2010, 04:30 PM
DIBD,

I just read watzone's comments on BDN and want to share them with you. I give you my word that I read his after I posted my own thoughts in response to your query.

Recruits a plenty at the game

Duke had a bunch of prospects at the game and it is true that they saw Duke get walloped by Alabama. Keep in mind that Cut has played against 25 or so Tide teams in his career and he stated this was the best of them all. The perception that a game like this hurts recruiting is wrong for these kids know Duke is moving in the right direction and they know Alabama is good. I thought Cut was asked a very untimely question when one reporter asked if this kind of thing that helps or hurts recruiting during the press conference. What was he supposed to say and what did the guy think he’d say? Cutcliffe quipped, “Well they probably think they could help us right away,” in a joking manner. Needles to say the conference ended on that question. As for recruiting, BDN is already getting positive feedback from players who visited which we’ll share as the week goes on.

devil84
09-19-2010, 04:55 PM

I do have a bit of an idea of what works with high school kids. And I also know that K and Cutcliffe weren't happy with losing (neither of them likes that!), but the team did do some things that #18 Penn State wasn't able to do. K and Cut both can find positives for recruits (and the current team) in yesterday's game.

What I saw was a FULL Wallace Wade with EXCITED fans. I saw tailgating at Duke the likes of which I've never seen. I saw student support -- a full student section is close to HALF the student body, right? (Can other big state schools boast that?) I saw people taking their photographs in front of the Wallace Wade statue and Cameron Indoor. I saw the Yoh football center with all its treasures quietly selling itself as one looked at the fans and scoreboard in the north end of the stadium.

I saw the visiting team, last year's football champions and the current #1 ranked team on the field. At halftime, three people were honored who helped the USA win the gold in the FIBA World Championship -- all three are at Duke, and one is the legendary coach who coached Duke to last year's basketball championship (and oh, BTW took Team USA to the most recent gold medal). I saw elite athletics AND academics. And I saw a Blue Devil football team that has made IMMENSE progress from being a dead-last football team to some respectability in just a few short years under a coach who has coached at some of the best schools and developed some pretty phenomenal players.

And that up-and-coming Duke team with a great coach and history of excellence, who plays #1 teams so they can see what football excellence looks like, needs some good football players. Not just anybody, mind you. The school wants someone who can make a difference. Someone who wants to help take a team from worst to first. Some smart kid like YOU, who can be the face of a new, triumphant program.

The right kids, the Johnny Dawkins type, would eat that up with a spoon.

(For you young'uns that don't remember or know about Johnny and that 1986 team, here's a little more history (http://www.dukemagazine.duke.edu/dukemag/issues/010206/eightysixers2.html) on them, as well as to not forgetting a monumental loss. I can't find an article that discusses how important Johnny was to that class, though Jim's article touches on it a bit, but he was the first big-time recruit, and when he committed, others jumped on board. He was very, very important to Duke Basketball's success.)

Bob Green
09-19-2010, 06:11 PM
I have the exact opposite reaction. The guys Duke will lose are -- on the whole -- not FBS talented players. They are starting because they have experience and know what to do.

Duke has very little to replace going into next season --

Nobody on defense will be missed ... nobody.

The players who will take their places are MUCH more physically gifted. The question is how much can they learn in the next year.

Thanks for answering my concerns. I know you are correct but it is tough right now finding anything to be optimistic about in regard to the defense. We need to put all our energy into getting ready for Army. All we can do is move forward.

OldPhiKap
09-19-2010, 06:13 PM
I have not had a chance to go over the thread yet -- just got back from Durham -- but a few random points:

1. Great atmosphere to start the game. To their credit, Alabama did what a championship team does (and what our basketball team does) -- opened with a dominating performance that took the wind out of the sails pretty quickly. The "Roll, Tide" isn't as bad as hearing "Rocky Top" a hundred times, but kickoff after kickoff after kickoff made it tough sledding. Still, through the first half, I think the crowd did pretty well.

2. The Alabama fans were great. They were fun to talk to and knew their history. They gave a very nice round of applause to the Wallace Wade piece (as you would expect), and to Coach K and the Team USA presentation (which you would hope). But they also gave a round of applause to the women's basketball team which was honored for winning the ACC last year, and for the 1945 Rose Bowl players who defeated Alabama. I'm rooting for them to win the NC this year. Banjeaux, nice to meet you and hope your Tide keeps Rolling on.

3. Alabama is HUGE. I mean Mongo big. They had a tight end that looked like he ate a few freshmen on the way to the stadium.

4. Last week, Cut was asked if he was tempted to sell this game to a neutral site such as Charlotte. His response was (paraphrasing) that "big time football belongs at Duke. This game belongs at Duke." I give him all the credit in the world for trying to change the attitude of the players and fans. He is from a conference where you have to play some combination of Alabama, Auburn, Florida, LSU, Georgia, and Tennessee every year. If we want to make a dent in the national scene -- let alone finish in the top half of our conference and make a bowl -- you need to act like you belong. Good for you, Coach.

5. Special shout out to Devil in a Blue Dress (the Hostess with the Mostest) and Boozer for some fun pre-game 'gating, and glad to meet Ozzie and Devildeak briefly (like to chat longer next time). This is a great community, made up of great people.

Okay, next play. Beat Army, get to 2-2, then focus on the conference schedule.

-- OPK

OZZIE4DUKE
09-19-2010, 07:33 PM
I saw tailgating at Duke the likes of which I've never seen.
I'd say great post D, but I don't want to get any infraction points or warnings http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/3.gif (still, great post http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/happy/bouncyblue.gif). Of more posting value, we've been tailgating http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/chef.gif like that since the first game last season, and the traditions are growing. Please be sure to come by and visit more often! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

CameronBornAndBred
09-19-2010, 08:21 PM
I think the idea of playing top-tier teams is great; I just wonder was it too soon for you guys
to face off with the number one team in the country. It takes time to "build" a program;
win consistently in your conference first; continue to build and excite your fan-base, which
obviously Cut has done. Then reach for bigger and better opponents. I wonder was
yesterday's game an intrinsic embarrassment to Cut. I would like to see you win those close
conference games before you take on the real powerhouses of college football. Yesterday
was a good barometer as to where you are, compared to other power programs. Go Duke!
I wasn't embarrassed. I was frustrated at times, but never embarrassed. I doubt Cutliffe and the team were either. Remember, we played at 'Bama 3 years ago..so I'm not sure where the "too soon" statement comes from. We actually were in that game until we faded in the third quarter. The team we saw yesterday was the most talented team I've ever seen in person, I enjoyed all of it. We could have done several things better, and it wasn't the best day to not have our best game..which obviously we would have needed to have a chance. We'll have better games this season, and some solid wins. Check back to see where we are at the end of November, you might have a different tune.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-19-2010, 09:36 PM
I wasn't embarrassed. I was frustrated at times, but never embarrassed. I doubt Cutliffe and the team were either. Remember, we played at 'Bama 3 years ago..so I'm not sure where the "too soon" statement comes from. We actually were in that game until we faded in the third quarter. The team we saw yesterday was the most talented team I've ever seen in person, I enjoyed all of it. We could have done several things better, and it wasn't the best day to not have our best game..which obviously we would have needed to have a chance. We'll have better games this season, and some solid wins. Check back to see where we are at the end of November, you might have a different tune.
I agree with you. That Alabama team was scary good. I cannot put not words the difference between seeing them on TEEvee, as they say in Alabama, and seeing them in person. Because we have an intimate football stadium, much like our basketball stadium, the views of the field and this team were unobstructed and without distortion of a jumbo screen. We saw their true size, speed and strength.

The rest of the season will reveal how really good they are..... and may put Duke's performance in a very different light.

dukelifer
09-19-2010, 11:12 PM
I know it's hard to be optimistic when you watch a whipping like we saw Saturday, but think back to March of 1983. At the end of his third season, Coach K saw his freshman-dominated Duke team routed by 43 points (109-66) in the ACC Tournament by Virginia.

If there had been an internet and a DBR then, would we be despairing that Duke basketball was awful and would never get any better?

It is hard to believe that K managed to win 4 NC's after what happened that year. Nobody ever would have predicted that. But you are right- Duke has 1/2 a team and this group is not getting it done. I don't care how good your O is, it is hard to put up 40 or 50 points every game against a team that plays solid D. Wake got killed yesterday and so Duke's O is not quite as good as it may have looked after week 2. If Duke cannot stop anyone- then this team may have a hard time winning after next week. It may be time to start playing the young guys now.

scottcpa
09-19-2010, 11:17 PM
Just a few thoughts:

1. I thought the O line played great. I don't think they gave up a sack but I could be wrong. Granted, Renfree rushed many passes and did get hit a couple times but I was really proud of the O line. Seeing the size mismatch, I didn't think Renfree would have more than a couple seconds to get the ball off and I sure didn't think we would be able to run the ball. However, we did a good job of running the ball and Renfree had decent time to throw. I wish he would have thrown down field more when he recognized single coverage. Several times he threw to the short routes too quickly, I guess anticipating pressure.

2. For the second game in a row, I was VERY disappointed with all the dropped passes. They cost us the game against WF and killed a couple drives against AL. I'm sure the receivers coach will be all over this.

3. I agree with all of the posts about how great the AL fans were. I was very impressed. Florida State and Virginia Tech fans could learn a lot from them. Funny moment, I asked one AL fan at halftime if we could borrow 4 of their 6-6 300lb 4.5/40 guys for the second half and he said sure if they could borrow a couple of our basketball players for this coming season.

4. I agree with a lot of the other posts that our defense has a long way to go. Our players need to learn how to tackle. AL players did not wait for the Duke RB or receiver to make a move, they just closed the gap (very quickly) and tackled through the player. They hit hard, wrapped up, and didn't give the Duke player time and space to juke a few times before taking off. We had the same poor tackling against WF (I did not see the Elon game).

5. How does a Duke team prepare for a team like AL? There are no other teams in the ACC that can come close to matching their size and speed as a whole. Except Williams, I don't think there were any significant injuries for Duke, right? Any word on Williams yet?

6. Thank you Coach Cut and the administration for not selling this game! We finally have a football program moving in the right direction. Yes, it is going to take a few years, but it is great to finally be excited about the future of Duke football!

SharkD
09-20-2010, 12:05 AM

Duke was, without question, the worst Division I football team for 3-4 years running and held the dubious distinction of breaking the NCAA's record for number of games lost in a row.

We've been abjectly awful since 1995 and haven't fielded a cohesively-coached squad since 1989. That is all changing, especially in regards to recruiting.

Sure, we got pounded by the defending national champs and #1 team in the nation, but so did #18 PSU, who didn't manage a touchdown or interception against Alabama.

I'm sure he knows of a pro agent who can get us tickets, too.

I wonder was yesterday's game an intrinsic embarrassment to Cut.

Why? The man, not only chose to take over the worst football team in Division I, but stuck by us when he was offered his dream job. If anyone on Earth was mentally prepared for what happened on Saturday, it was David Cutcliffe. He's already said that while the game was a dramatic defeat, there was plenty to be positive about, and there were plenty of teachable moments, particularly the gaps on defense.

SharkD
09-20-2010, 01:06 AM
Another point to bring up: Penn State did not manage to stop Alabama in the red zone. Duke held them off during a goal line stand.

Our defensive line was inconsistent, left too many wide-open gaps and did give up rushing yardage in buckets, particularly in the first quarter, but we also managed a few sacks and pushed back a number of rushing plays for losses.

Our secondary was mostly on-assignment and coverage was decent (but not great), but the combination of giving up (at least) 3-4 inches per matchup and Bama's accurate QB's made us appear flat-footed.

Greg_Newton
09-20-2010, 02:07 AM
Just a few thoughts:

1. I thought the O line played great. I don't think they gave up a sack but I could be wrong. Granted, Renfree rushed many passes and did get hit a couple times but I was really proud of the O line. Seeing the size mismatch, I didn't think Renfree would have more than a couple seconds to get the ball off and I sure didn't think we would be able to run the ball. However, we did a good job of running the ball and Renfree had decent time to throw. I wish he would have thrown down field more when he recognized single coverage. Several times he threw to the short routes too quickly, I guess anticipating pressure.

Several good points in your post... and I agree with those emphasizing just how good Alabama is. They have three bona fide NFL stars in Jones, Ingram and Richardson just in the glamour offensive positions. I'm fairly certain Julio Jones would be the #1 WR on a few NFL teams right now; the guy is just a different species.

One play in particular just made me shake my head... on the first drive, he caught a pass and shook off several defenders like flies, then took off down the sideline until Robo closed the angle and got a good clean hit on him - and just bounced right off. Robo gathered himself and got in another hit a few yards downfield, which finally did the job. But when you've got a guy that's so physically dominant that the CB covering him can't even push him out of bounds when he gets a clean hit (and when that type of discrepancy exists to some extent across the board), there's just no way you're going to be able to compete for an entire game.

I also agree with the comments on tackling fundamentals. We know how loyal Cut is, but if things don't get better - a lot better - fast - it's going to be hard to justify not finding a new defensive coordinator and starting from scratch. I also wonder if we'll switch back to a 4-3 at some point in the season, as the transition to 3-4 seems to be a little harder than expected. 9 yards per rush is nuts. It is nice that a lot of our downfalls seemed to be teachable though, rather than simply not having enough talent.

But I think the magnitude of the defeat is keeping us from appreciating how much worse several aspects of the game could have gone. First and foremost, THE O-LINE! Wow. Talk about a dramatic off-season improvement. They went from being a major liability last year (remember how much Thad got hit?), to opening up 146 rushing yards on 4.1 YPC and allowing zero sacks (until they got Connette late in the 4th) against one of the better defenses CFB has ever seen. I mean, that's huge.

Second, I may be wrong, but it seemed to me that we actually weren't at a very significant speed disadvantage to Alabama. Their players were massively larger than ours, but if I wasn't seeing things, we didn't look like we were running in slow motion compared to them. That would be a major change from the past decade or two; it's easy to forget how frustratingly slow our teams have been in the past. Perhaps Cut's initial recruiting goal has been achieved - get speed - now, we really, really, REALLY need some bigger, stronger bodies, especially in the trenches. We need more muscle, plain and simple.

BTW - this picture (http://espn.go.com/ncf/photos?gameId=302610150&photoId=837225) kind of sums it up for me. Their 6-3, 190 CB taking the ball from our 5-9, 175 WR... :rolleyes:

mkline09
09-20-2010, 06:55 AM
First I don't think any of us should judge this team by the score. Duke did a lot of things well but they won't translate in a 62-13 score. I thought considering, Duke's defense did better in spurts.

Coverage down field was better, but McElroy made some great passes. I think he is very underrated. The Alabama backs were as advertised, so I'm not sure given their line we had much of a shot at stoppoing them.

I was more disappointed by the offense. Aside from Josh Snead who really looked good out there, Renfree was off and his receivers got a major case of the drops.

Not a pretty game but one they can learn from. Also no major injuries that I've heard so that is good.

Regarding the Alabama fans though I'm mixed. I've heard some who said they were great, but my experience was different. I can live with the Roll Tide Roll chants. I can even live with the 6-8 year old girl sitting directly behind me screaming at the top of her lungs "Go Bama" before every single play. But the attitudes of some of the fans even surpasses some UNC fans.

The fans I sat near had a general attitude of superiority. I had one lady sitting in front of me throw her purse behind her knowing I was sitting there. No "I'm sorry, excuse me." She didn't even acknowledge anyone was sitting there. Had Alabama fans stepping over top of people, leaning into people with no regard for them even being there. Some of their comments were a bit much. One even asked my dad who was clearly a Duke fan (wearing hat and shirt) Why doesn't Duke just give up football and stick to basketball. My dad who is not short on words especially when people are taking shots at Duke fired back with a "Because our football players know how to keep score." He later told me he had grown up an Alabama fan but would never, pull for them again. I've always respected them as well but now I'm sure I will pull against them every chance I get, just because of their fans.

roywhite
09-20-2010, 07:19 AM
Duke was, without question, the worst Division I football team for 3-4 years running and held the dubious distinction of breaking the NCAA's record for number of games lost in a row.

We've been abjectly awful since 1995 and haven't fielded a cohesively-coached squad since 1989. That is all changing, especially in regards to recruiting.

Don't forget Duke's 1994 team. They started 7-0, finished the regular season 8-3 (after tough 1-point losses to both NCSU and UNC) and played in the Hall of Fame Bowl, losing to Wisconsin to finish 8-4. Robert Baldwin, Ray Farmer, Matt Williams, and John Zuanich were 1st Team All-ACC.

And they were well coached...not everybody was a Fred Goldsmith fan, but that year he had some excellent coaches including Mike Heimerdinger who has been an NFL assistant for many years and is currently offensive coordinator with the Tenn. Titans, and Craig Bohl, who is a very successful head coach at North Dakota State.

alteran
09-20-2010, 09:40 AM

Not even in jest, my man. Not even in jest.

And who wants a vacated bowl?

alteran
09-20-2010, 10:14 AM
Well, I invited a friend who was an Auburn graduate (for those that don't know, Auburn is Alabama's plucky in-state rival, holding their own against the larger behemoth). He wore his Auburn shirt to the game, and that was definitely a lot of fun.

I saw one young man kind of hassling the Duke fans walking in on their way to the stadium (not in a particularly mean-spirited way) who did a complete double-take. The guy stopped mid-sentence and didn't know what to say. My friend just looked at him and said, "welcome to Durham" good-naturedly and kept on walking.

About 3-4 fans said something to him during the game, he had a different smart-(censored) remark every time.

I'd give the Alabama fans a solid B+, A-. I'm sure there were some jerks, but by and large they seemed an affable lot and not mean-spirited. Good guests, although my baseline is UNC fans in Wallace Wade and they're the worst when they come to town.

I saw upthread that someone said there were bounce-houses for kids. I came in on the east side (opposite the press building), were the bounce-houses on the west side, or near the main entrance, or somewhere else? I've got some kids who I'd like to bring but they get bored pretty quick.

Also, what happened on that weird on-side kick near the end of the first half? Did we deck the 'Bama player before the ball hit the ground?

scottcpa
09-20-2010, 10:20 AM
Another thing that struck me about the AL game: Duke's players were not cramping during the 4th qtr. Remember how out of shape the team was when Coach Cut took over? The team seemed to fade quickly in the 4th qtr of games in years past but not the past couple years. The conditioning of the players is MUCH better. Not an insignificant point.

nocilla
09-20-2010, 10:28 AM
Also, what happened on that weird on-side kick near the end of the first half? Did we deck the 'Bama player before the ball hit the ground?

I believe the Duke player hit him as he was trying to catch the ball. He actually gave him a pretty nice lick, but according to the rules you have to give him ample oppurtunity and space to catch the ball before you can hit him because he is defenseless. Had he timed it a second later it would have been legal. The same thing happened on the punt in the first quarter. Both hits were a second or two early. Which can be attributed to the speed on the team. As was noted earlier, the speed is there we just need to add some bulk.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-20-2010, 10:41 AM
Well, I invited a friend who was an Auburn graduate (for those that don't know, Auburn is Alabama's plucky in-state rival, holding their own against the larger behemoth). He wore his Auburn shirt to the game, and that was definitely a lot of fun.

I saw one young man kind of hassling the Duke fans walking in on their way to the stadium (not in a particularly mean-spirited way) who did a complete double-take. The guy stopped mid-sentence and didn't know what to say. My friend just looked at him and said, "welcome to Durham" good-naturedly and kept on walking.

About 3-4 fans said something to him during the game, he had a different smart-(censored) remark every time.

I'd give the Alabama fans a solid B+, A-. I'm sure there were some jerks, but by and large they seemed an affable lot and not mean-spirited. Good guests, although my baseline is UNC fans in Wallace Wade and they're the worst when they come to town.

I saw upthread that someone said there were bounce-houses for kids. I came in on the east side (opposite the press building), were the bounce-houses on the west side, or near the main entrance, or somewhere else? I've got some kids who I'd like to bring but they get bored pretty quick.

You'll find the bounce houses set up in K'ville. There are portable toilets nearby, another handy feature for children and adults.

A-Tex Devil
09-20-2010, 10:58 AM
We really have a lot to be excited for on the offensive side of the ball. I can tell you as a Texas fan that the run blocking was excellent (I'd give it an A-) for this game, considering the competition. Texas has 4 star recruits across its o-line and can't make a hole against Wyoming or Rice. An Alabama fan might tell you that they were giving us the run, but there were true holes. I imagine that when you take away sacks (if there were any) we'll have one of the best yards per run averages against 'Bama of any team this year. That's something to point to in recruiting, because it is a stat that coaches and players look at. Combine that with our talent in the passing game, and our offense may be looking like Stanford's sooner than later.

The only 3 real negatives which I still think we could have done better on were:
1. Too many alligator armed receivers. I know 'Bama is biggger, and hits hard, but you are just as likely to be laid out over the middle against Army as you are Alabama. You've chosen to be a football player in D1-A. Go get that ball.

2. Our tackling form on defense, especially in the secondary, is atrocious. It has always been since Ray Farmer et al left us in 1995. I know sometimes you have to sacrifice tackling for speed at the corner and safety positions, but some of the tackling efforts and giving up on plays the last 2 weeks would make a junior high coach wince.

3. Related to 2 and 3 -- our defense many times seemed to slow up as they were reaching the ball carrier, especially when taking angles. This puzzles me, and again points to poor fundamentals or intimidation or both.

Overall, I was thinking 52-10ish. If it weren't for the absolute onslaught before we put our first drive together, it would have been a bit more respectable. But I also thought we went all out as far as gameplan and didn't play to not get blown out, which made me happy and proud.

CameronBornAndBred
09-20-2010, 11:31 AM

I have no idea who these two people were, but we gave them some grub as they walked past our tailgate...gotta love the attitude.

94duke
09-20-2010, 01:09 PM

Sure, we got pounded by the defending national champs and #1 team in the nation, but so did #18 PSU, who didn't manage a touchdown or interception against Alabama.

I'm sure he knows of a pro agent who can get us tickets, too.

Why? The man, not only chose to take over the worst football team in Division I, but stuck by us when he was offered his dream job. If anyone on Earth was mentally prepared for what happened on Saturday, it was David Cutcliffe. He's already said that while the game was a dramatic defeat, there was plenty to be positive about, and there were plenty of teachable moments, particularly the gaps on defense.

I do NOT believe Duke owns this dubious distinction.
According to the 2010 NCAA record books it is still Northwestern (34 games, '79-'82).
see page 21:
http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats/football_records/DI/2010/2010Collegiate.pdf

Wander
09-20-2010, 01:12 PM
According to the 2010 NCAA record books it is still Northwestern (34 games, '79-'82).
see page 21:
http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats/football_records/DI/2010/2010Collegiate.pdf

In fact, the key game that prevented Duke from taking over that statistic was an upset victory at Northwestern in 2007.

Battierfan01
09-20-2010, 01:36 PM
Anybody have any word on Johnny Williams? I have been searching all morning and can't find any news. :confused:

jimsumner
09-20-2010, 06:46 PM
Anybody have any word on Johnny Williams? I have been searching all morning and can't find any news. :confused:

Mild concussion. We'll know more in a few days.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-20-2010, 06:58 PM

Mild concussion. We'll know more in a few days.
As Jim said. As bad as he looked from the stands, and I think he puked a couple of times while sitting on the trainer's table and his mom was there looking after him, I expect he'll be out a couple of weeks per the NCAA concussion guidelines this year. He needs to be completely over the concussion before he comes back, or he's likely to get another more serious one one and miss the rest of the year.

Newton_14
09-20-2010, 07:11 PM
As Jim said. As bad as he looked from the stands, and I think he puked a couple of times while sitting on the trainer's table and his mom was there looking after him, I expect he'll be out a couple of weeks per the NCAA concussion guidelines this year. He needs to be completely over the concussion before he comes back, or he's likely to get another more serious one one and miss the rest of the year.

I was very relieved to see him get up. I actually thought he had broken his neck from my view. It was scary. I have never been so happy to hear the word "concussion" in my life.

They teach you early on in football to always keep your head up on a tackle and I wonder if being new to the defensive side of the ball was a factor on that play. I saw a replay Sat night and he dropped his head and took a direct hit just above the bama kid's need which drove Johnny's head even further down an in. All I could think of was Darrell Stingley..

Get well soon Johnny!

uh_no
09-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Their size, strength and skill would be a challenge to any team including some pro teams.

You underestimate how much better NFL teams are than college teams. The worst of the professional teams would roll alabama.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-20-2010, 08:03 PM
You underestimate how much better NFL teams are than college teams. The worst of the professional teams would roll alabama.
Were you in Wallace Wade Stadium Saturday? I ask this question because watching them on TV doesn't allow for as clear a view of their prowess as our intimate stadium does. You may be underestimating how good Alabama is and how poor some pro teams are.

uh_no
09-20-2010, 08:21 PM
Were you in Wallace Wade Stadium Saturday? I ask this question because watching them on TV doesn't allow for as clear a view of their prowess as our intimate stadium does. You may be underestimating how good Alabama is and how poor some pro teams are.

I was good sir. An NFL team would do to bama what they just did to us. if you took a college all star team, they would still have difficulty matching up with an NFL team. The size difference and ridiculous concentration of talent (relative to college) is more than any college team could possibly hope to handle.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-20-2010, 08:26 PM
I was good sir. An NFL team would do to bama what they just did to us. if you took a college all star team, they would still have difficulty matching up with an NFL team. The size difference and ridiculous concentration of talent (relative to college) is more than any college team could possibly hope to handle.
While we can agree to disagree on this point, I can assure you that I am no sir. :D

Merlindevildog91
09-20-2010, 08:27 PM

Having watched some of the Panthers game and some of the Bills game, I'm not so sure.

BTW, Devil in the Blue Dress is not a sir, unless she changed drastically since Saturday's tailgating.

OldPhiKap
09-20-2010, 08:34 PM
While we can agree to disagree on this point, I can assure you that I am no sir. :D

DiBD is the Hostess with the Mostest, and a lady in all respects.

Newton_14
09-20-2010, 09:09 PM
DiBD is the Hostess with the Mostest, and a lady in all respects.

Not only that the kind lady is a "star magnet". If you want to chat it up with a "who's who" of the Duke Family, hang out with her during tailgating cause she draws them in!

As for her comments, I am not sure she is that far off. If the Panthers lined up against this Bama team, Bama would match their size at most positions, and the Panthers could not score 62 points over 3 or 4 games, no matter who they are playing!:eek:

CameronBornAndBred
09-20-2010, 09:17 PM
Have to agree with this, and I've been thinking it often when I read the statements I've read about how they could hang with a pro team. Think about how selective the NFL is...they only choose for their teams the best of the best..I'm pretty sure if you put Alabama up against a team made up of only NFL practice squads the Tide would lose. If they went up against a pro team that is actually a cohesive, practiced unit they would be totally squashed.

DU82
09-20-2010, 10:18 PM
I was very relieved to see him get up. I actually thought he had broken his neck from my view. It was scary. I have never been so happy to hear the word "concussion" in my life.

They teach you early on in football to always keep your head up on a tackle and I wonder if being new to the defensive side of the ball was a factor on that play. I saw a replay Sat night and he dropped his head and took a direct hit just above the bama kid's need which drove Johnny's head even further down an in. All I could think of was Darrell Stingley..

Get well soon Johnny!

What struck me about that play was that it was on the Alabama side, and their training staff was out to Johnny immediately, well before our staff could get to him. Normally, you won't see the opposing team's medical staff do that, but the hit, and the way he was on the ground made me think the same thing, that he'd broken his neck. Props to their staff for doing that, making sure that if it was anything worse (not that a concussion is good), they got to him before he could move and make it worse.

devildeac
09-20-2010, 10:58 PM
What struck me about that play was that it was on the Alabama side, and their training staff was out to Johnny immediately, well before our staff could get to him. Normally, you won't see the opposing team's medical staff do that, but the hit, and the way he was on the ground made me think the same thing, that he'd broken his neck. Props to their staff for doing that, making sure that if it was anything worse (not that a concussion is good), they got to him before he could move and make it worse.

I noticed that, too. Classy stuff from their staff. Seriously.

http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/77.gif

http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/eusa/clap.gif

SharkD
09-20-2010, 11:37 PM
see page 21:

In fact, the key game that prevented Duke from taking over that statistic was an upset victory at Northwestern in 2007.

I stand corrected. If I could edit the original post, I would.

From November 11, 1995 through September 13, 1997, Fred Goldsmith's Blue Devils lost 15 straight. Beginning November 20, 1999 through August 31, 2002, Duke, under Carl Franks, dropped 23 consecutive games. During the Ted Roof era, between September 24, 2005 and September 15, 2007, Duke lost 22 straight contests.

ArnieMc
09-21-2010, 09:52 AM
I was good sir. An NFL team would do to bama what they just did to us. if you took a college all star team, they would still have difficulty matching up with an NFL team. The size difference and ridiculous concentration of talent (relative to college) is more than any college team could possibly hope to handle.Actually, they used to do that. A college all-star team would play the previous year's NFL champions in the first game of the season. The last game was in 1976 with the overall record 31-11 in favor of the NFL (or Superbowl) champions.

scottcpa
09-21-2010, 10:23 AM

Our training staff helped an injured AL player earlier in the game until the AL training staff was able to get to him. Classy all the way around!

calltheobvious
09-21-2010, 11:21 AM
Have to agree with this, and I've been thinking it often when I read the statements I've read about how they could hang with a pro team. Think about how selective the NFL is...they only choose for their teams the best of the best..I'm pretty sure if you put Alabama up against a team made up of only NFL practice squads the Tide would lose. If they went up against a pro team that is actually a cohesive, practiced unit they would be totally squashed.

This outstanding Alabama team has about seven players currently capable of making an NFL roster. There are many more who will eventually do so, but we're talking about players as they are performing right now. That group would be absolutely brutalized by even the weakest NFL roster that dresses 45 actual NFL players, including an NFL quarterback, which Alabama most certainly does not have.

banjeaux
10-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Wow! Three weeks ago today, I departed Durham. I arrived in Slidell on Monday night, as I stopped en route overnight for a visit with my sister. After recovery from my trip, I intended to post a report of my visit. Well, folks, I ain't as young as I once was. ;) And, I'm a perfectionist, sometimes. So, my report was delayed.

DitBD, indeed, my sons and I enjoyed your guests and meeting Duke fans, especially your Blue Devil mascot and Bill Brill. Truely, Southern Hospitality at its finest. I was only a few feet away, as Coach Cutcliffe led the Blue Devil team to the stadium to change into their uniforms. What a fine group of clean-cut young men! I have confidence that you coach will make steady improvements to your football program. It is very important fans to attend games. Visible support will aid in recruiting.

IMO, Wallace Wade Stadium is a great football venue. Seems, every seat is a good one. I was pleased that there was much Crimson present. Was it 'bout 50/50? What did y'all think. I hope Bama fans were well behaved. Some can get rowdy. Rammer Jammer at end of game was muted for the most part. Some may have though Coach Saban ran up the score. He did play a lot of reserves, when the game was in hand. All players are expected to do their best, when they are in the game.

Someone ranked the Bama game as #5 alltime for Duke football. I hope yesterday's
Crimson Tide lost to South Carolina doesn't change that. Congratulations to the Ol' Ball Coach, Steve Spurrier and his many fans in the Duke Nation. Our regular season win streak ends at 29, 19 including post season. Reckon t's time for us to start a new streak. :cool: Winning a national championship puts a target on your back. You get everybody's best game. Of course, y'all know that.

Geaux Bleu Devils!

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Wow! Three weeks ago today, I departed Durham. I arrived in Slidell on Monday night, as I stopped en route overnight for a visit with my sister. After recovery from my trip, I intended to post a report of my visit. Well, folks, I ain't as young as I once was. ;) And, I'm a perfectionist, sometimes. So, my report was delayed.

DitBD, indeed, my sons and I enjoyed your guests and meeting Duke fans, especially your Blue Devil mascot and Bill Brill. Truely, Southern Hospitality at its finest. I was only a few feet away, as Coach Cutcliffe led the Blue Devil team to the stadium to change into their uniforms. What a fine group of clean-cut young men! I have confidence that you coach will make steady improvements to your football program. It is very important fans to attend games. Visible support will aid in recruiting.

IMO, Wallace Wade Stadium is a great football venue. Seems, every seat is a good one. I was pleased that there was much Crimson present. Was it 'bout 50/50? What did y'all think. I hope Bama fans were well behaved. Some can get rowdy. Rammer Jammer at end of game was muted for the most part. Some may have though Coach Saban ran up the score. He did play a lot of reserves, when the game was in hand. All players are expected to do their best, when they are in the game.

Someone ranked the Bama game as #5 alltime for Duke football. I hope yesterday's
Crimson Tide lost to South Carolina doesn't change that. Congratulations to the Ol' Ball Coach, Steve Spurrier and his many fans in the Duke Nation. Our regular season win streak ends at 29, 19 including post season. Reckon t's time for us to start a new streak. :cool: Winning a national championship puts a target on your back. You get everybody's best game. Of course, y'all know that.

Geaux Bleu Devils!

Thank you for your kind words regarding your experience in Durham. You offer some good advice for us fans as we prepare for our next Saturday in Wallace Wade.

It's always good to spend some time with our Wade family cousins!

Love that Geaux Bleu Devils!