PDA

View Full Version : Duke's best 3 point shooter this year?!

_TheFakeJWill_
09-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Me and my other Duke friend had an argument on who Dukes best 3 point shooter will be this year... Wonder what yall think!

Lord Ash
09-17-2010, 12:31 PM
Argh, so hard to say when we haven't really seen Kyrie or Seth play on this level... I am not sure I would even hazard a guess.

nocilla
09-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Me and my other Duke friend had an argument on who Dukes best 3 point shooter will be this year... Wonder what yall think!

Do you mean most 3 pointers or highest percentage. I can see Smith or Singler leading the team in 3s made but someone like Dawkins or Curry with a higher percentage.

monkey
09-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Does Nick Horvath still have eligibility remaining?

Indoor66
09-17-2010, 01:17 PM
Too early to say. Too many unknowns.

ElSid
09-17-2010, 01:25 PM
Best percentage?

Most made?

What's the minimum number of attempts?

I'm going with Seth Curry, based almost solely on player reports from practice last year...he will be playing more difficult defenders, but I doubt he'll have to create his own shot as much as just wait for Kyrie and Nolan to drive and dish.

Azdukefan
09-17-2010, 01:53 PM
I will take Dawkins in 3 pt % and best stroke. I will take Nolan with most threes made (followed closely by Kyle). Overall IMO, Dawkins is the best shooter to land in Durham since JJ.

BD80
09-17-2010, 01:59 PM
I would bet that Chris Collins still gives the pups a run for their money after practice.

My money will be on Seth. I heard he was the leading freshman scorer 2 years ago on a team where there was no second option. He might get some open looks from 3 this year if Kyrie or Nolan are able to penetrate or if a team concentrates too much on Kyle. A shooter like Seth being our FOURTH option on offense? Inconceivable.

Lord Ash
09-17-2010, 02:03 PM
I would bet that Chris Collins still gives the pups a run for their money after practice.

My money will be on Seth. I heard he was the leading freshman scorer 2 years ago on a team where there was no second option. He might get some open looks from 3 this year if Kyrie or Nolan are able to penetrate or if a team concentrates too much on Kyle. A shooter like Seth being our FOURTH option on offense? Inconceivable.

He was the top scoring freshman in the NCAA two years back on a Liberty team that had nobody else. He DID shoot a VERY high number of 3s and an okay percentage. Your point on him being left along a lot might indeed help his %s.

CLW
09-17-2010, 02:09 PM
It's really hard to guess w/o knowing/seeing how Curry and Irving are going to react but my hunch is Singler will lead the team in 3s made.

My guess is that Singler, Smith, Curry and Dawkins all roughly shoot the same % somewhere either just shy of or just over 40%

MChambers
09-17-2010, 02:58 PM
It's really hard to guess w/o knowing/seeing how Curry and Irving are going to react but my hunch is Singler will lead the team in 3s made.

My guess is that Singler, Smith, Curry and Dawkins all roughly shoot the same % somewhere either just shy of or just over 40%
If we have four players shooting around 40% from 3, it will be a fun year. Be even better if we have five such players. It really could happen, of course.

I voted for Nolan, because I think he'll have the best shot selection, given his experience, so that his percentage will be best.

Wonder who the best free throw shooter will be?

Fish80
09-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Last year Miles had the best percentage of three's made, 100%! Clearly, we need to specify a minimum number of attempts. :)

I'm going with Kyle. Nolan might lead the team in scoring, but I expect Kyle to be a close second and shoot lights out all year. Kyle impressed more than a few people with his shot over the summer playing against great competition on USA Basketball.

Last year Kyle went thru a bit of a shooting slump for a while and still finished averaging 39.6% from 3 for the season. This year he'll get even more open looks from 3.

dukejim1
09-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Kyle, because of experience, strength, and shot selection.

Gthoma2a
09-17-2010, 03:23 PM
There needs to be an option for "what night is it?" It will change constantly, we will have five guys who just make buckets (Kyle, Seth, Andre, Nolan at this pont, and Kyrie hits a good number from deep too). Depending on what night it is it could be any of them and I don't mind who gets the shots in, so long as they go in.

sagegrouse
09-17-2010, 04:37 PM
... around "best 3-point shooter." Especially since the Duke percentage record is held by Christian Laettner. I wouldn't give the award to a player that shot 10-20 (or even 30-60) over the whole season.

How about the most three's by a guy averaging at least 38% from the arc? Last season -- the only one I checked -- we had four players between 38 and 40%. Scheyer had the most and Kyle the second-most. Nolan and Andre also were in that range. No one else was above 26% (where Ryan was 5-19).

sagegrouse
'Once an academic, always a pain in the butt'

jipops
09-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Even without a definition of best 3 pt shooter I'm surprised by the percentage so far counting on Seth being the guy. Is this based on word of mouth or actually witnessing the guy play against ACC level competition on a regular basis?

I'm pretty torn between Nolan and Kyle on this one. With a pg like Kyrie I think both these guys will get tons of open looks. The remarks by the USA World Champs during the practice sessions were that Kyle was the best shooter out there amongst the college guys. Based on last season Nolan drained 3's consistently, though mostly off of offensive boards. I feel it's unlikely we'll get those types of shots (3's off offensive boards) in volume with a different offensive system in place. But with Kyrie, Nolan is still going to get some high percentage looks from outside, much of them in transition. I'm actually going with Kyle as our best 3pt threat.

chrisheery
09-17-2010, 05:45 PM
... around "best 3-point shooter." Especially since the Duke percentage record is held by Christian Laettner. I wouldn't give the award to a player that shot 10-20 (or even 30-60) over the whole season.

How about the most three's by a guy averaging at least 38% from the arc? Last season -- the only one I checked -- we had four players between 38 and 40%. Scheyer had the most and Kyle the second-most. Nolan and Andre also were in that range. No one else was above 26% (where Ryan was 5-19).

sagegrouse
'Once an academic, always a pain in the butt'

I was thinking the same thing. How can we pick the best 3 point shooter without a definition.

I propose the following:
- Assign 3 points for every shot made
- Subtract 1 for every shot missed

So, a player that shoots 200 shots and makes 35% (70 shots) gets a score of 40 points.
A player that shoots 140 and makes 42% (59) gets a score of 37.
A player that shoots 100 and makes 50% (50) gets a score of 50.

Seems pretty fair. I'd say the last player is the best shooter, just needed more shots. Agree?

_TheFakeJWill_
09-17-2010, 05:47 PM
I would guess it would be, as stated above, some mathematical equation between shots and percentage of shots hit.

I put down Nolan but i could easily see Kyle being up there also... a toss up between Seth and Dawkins.... Dawkins better hit some 3's this year unless his handles stepped up a little :)

Kedsy
09-17-2010, 07:27 PM
If we have four players shooting around 40% from 3, it will be a fun year. Be even better if we have five such players. It really could happen, of course.

Whoever is "best," this will be one of the best three point shooting teams Duke has ever had. The three is going to be a major weapon for us. As will the dunk. And the fast break. And the drive-and-dish. And the pick-and-roll. And the... you name it. Defenses will not know what to key on because whatever they leave open will hurt them.

Duke is going to be an extremely effective team on offense next year. As many have said, how much our bigs improve on defense is going to determine how great the team truly becomes.

BD80
09-17-2010, 08:20 PM
Whoever is "best," this will be one of the best three point shooting teams Duke has ever had. The three is going to be a major weapon for us. As will the dunk. And the fast break. And the drive-and-dish. And the pick-and-roll. And the... you name it. Defenses will not know what to key on because whatever they leave open will hurt them.

Duke is going to be an extremely effective team on offense next year. As many have said, how much our bigs improve on defense is going to determine how great the team truly becomes.

I know I drift off topic, but I can't wait to see Seth play. I think back to our prior transfers (all two of them) and remember what an immediate impact they had. They had spent a year playing in practice and watching games, so they exploded when they finally had the chance to play. Add to that the influence of a Dad who was a pro and dead-eye shooter and a big brother who tore up The League as a rookie. I think Seth will be ready to play.

Add to that a layer of competition for playing time with Andre and I think it will be a fun dynamic. I believe K will ratchet up the level of defensive pressure to new heights, and let it be known that pressure D will win you minutes. I think Seth will fully understand and be ready.

Back to the main topic, from what I hear of Seth's shooting stroke, he will be the perfect 3 point option filling in on the break.

I smile thinking of what our D will do against unc's young backcourt next year, and the look on ol' roy's face while he watches it happen. Four more weeks huh?

Nrrrrvous
09-17-2010, 08:45 PM
I was thinking the same thing. How can we pick the best 3 point shooter without a definition.

I propose the following:
- Assign 3 points for every shot made
- Subtract 1 for every shot missed

So, a player that shoots 200 shots and makes 35% (70 shots) gets a score of 40 points.
A player that shoots 140 and makes 42% (59) gets a score of 37.
A player that shoots 100 and makes 50% (50) gets a score of 50.

Seems pretty fair. I'd say the last player is the best shooter, just needed more shots. Agree?

OK, I wasn't a math major but I just tried to follow you and something isn't quite right. Player A would be at 80. Player B would be at 96 and Player C would be at 100. I think it still proves your point. :D

Devilsfan
09-17-2010, 09:06 PM
I'm expecting Kelly to display a sudden Zoubsesq. transformation on the court with his much improved play (not necessarily the beard) and earn mega pt.

basket1544
09-17-2010, 09:14 PM
There's no option for our 100% three-point shooter.
Go Miles!

chrisheery
09-17-2010, 09:14 PM
OK, I wasn't a math major but I just tried to follow you and something isn't quite right. Player A would be at 80. Player B would be at 96 and Player C would be at 100. I think it still proves your point. :D

Actually I think player A would be 110, but yeah, I did that too fast and didn't check my work.

chrisheery
09-17-2010, 09:18 PM

Instead of the formula I typed, I used the one I think makes more sense, which is subtracting 1 point for every shot taken. That makes my numbers work I think and may be more fair because it doesn't doubly reward a made shot.

Bob Green
09-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Actually I think player A would be 110, but yeah, I did that too fast and didn't check my work.

Player A makes 70 of 200 shots, which means Player A missed 130 shots. 70 X 3 = 210. 210 - 130 = 80.

BD80
09-17-2010, 09:41 PM
Nerds

brevity
09-17-2010, 09:57 PM
Even if this question were better defined, it's silly. Maybe Nolan and Kyle will end up 4th and 5th on the team by most statistical measures, but they'll still be the 1st and 2nd (or 2nd and 1st) outside shooting options with the game on the line.

chrisheery
09-18-2010, 12:01 AM
Player A makes 70 of 200 shots, which means Player A missed 130 shots. 70 X 3 = 210. 210 - 130 = 80.

I have to admit, I am just embarrassed.

Anyway, if the question is who would I want shooting a three when we need it most, it's gonna be Kyle or Nolan. They have earned that.