PDA

View Full Version : Best dunker in Duke history?

Lord Ash
09-16-2010, 11:12 PM
Spurred on by this video...

Duke dunks! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mcxpRrO-Lw)

I have to ask, who you do you all think is the best dunker in Duke history? Gotta pick one!

I have to say, I put...

At #3, Dahntay. He had some mean, mean dunks, and always threw it down with a lot of attitude.

At #2, GHill. Grant was obviously spectacular; the only reason he isn't #1 for me is simply because he is so tall that it really made dunking a bit easier for him, when compared to the #1 guy...

At #1, Gerald Henderson. He has, by himself, probably half of my favorite all-time Duke dunks. So much authority, power... and he always had that ability to just elevate, seemingly effortless, just that much higher than anyone else, and for that much longer than everyone else.

So! What do folks think?

Acymetric
09-16-2010, 11:21 PM
Make no mistake, I'm looking forward to the rest of the football season...but man is it basketball season yet? I can't wait to see this team play. For better or worse, should be a lot of fun this year!

NashvilleDevil
09-16-2010, 11:23 PM

I have to ask, who you do you all think is the best dunker in Duke history? Gotta pick one!

I have to say, I put...

At #3, Dahntay. He had some mean, mean dunks, and always threw it down with a lot of attitude.

At #2, GHill. Grant was obviously spectacular; the only reason he isn't #1 for me is simply because he is so tall that it really made dunking a bit easier for him, when compared to the #1 guy...

At #1, Gerald Henderson. He has, by himself, probably half of my favorite all-time Duke dunks. So much authority, power... and he always had that ability to just elevate, seemingly effortless, just that much higher than anyone else, and for that much longer than everyone else.

So! What do folks think?

Corey Maggette for the Florida game alone at Cameron back in the 98-99 season. I know he played one year but everytime he was on the court you just waited for him to do something freakish.

Bob Green
09-16-2010, 11:27 PM

So! What do folks think?

#33 Grant Hill.

sagegrouse
09-16-2010, 11:29 PM

I have to say, I put...

So! What do folks think?

IMHO (where the H is usually silent) the three best dunks in Duke history because of their art and game significance were (a) Tinkerbell over 7-4 Ralph Sampson circa 1980; (b) Phil Henderson over Alonzo Mourning of Georgetown in the 1989 regional finals and (c) the Grant dunk over Kansas in the 1991 National Championship game. FWIW, I don't have much interest in scoring dunks like a gymnastics or aerial skiing competition.

sagegrouse

SilkyJ
09-16-2010, 11:42 PM
I think our best in-game dunker was Gerald. As he learned to attack the rim with better angles he started to throw down some nasty ones off one-on-one moves, which is really impressive. Its not like these were back-door cut alley-oops (though he had plenty of those too). I'm thinking about the and1 on texas in the NCAAs. The up and under vs Wake (he had a couple of those, IIRC). The "answer" dunk @MD (and then mike patrick's response: "I don't care what the question was"). G takes it for me.

Obviously love dante, maggette, grant and jdawk, but I think G had more "whoa" dunks in one season than anyone else.

Jwill had some nice, surprise me-types. But he didn't dunk often enough to warrant consideration. There were also lots of other guys like banks, henderson, and thomas hill that could get up, but I guess the guys who are going to rise to the top of this list tended to have the ball a lot and were featured.

Silky "recently, I also think demarcus and ewing were underrated" J

edit: I wrote this before even watching the video. I'd add Mikey D to my underrated list, and change my answer to a tie b/w G Henderson and G Hill. It was 15-20 years ago so hard to remember all of Grant's amazing dunks, but glad I got a refresh :)

"I am gerald henderson, and I approved this message"

amazinballer323
09-17-2010, 12:04 AM
I've got to go with Gerald, just for the sole reason that all of his baseline inbound alley oop dunks were so memorable to me that during the FIBA World Championships I kept waiting for us to run this for Rose, Durant, Westbrook, Iguodala, Gay, or Gordon.

papa whiskey
09-17-2010, 02:06 AM
If Justin Anderson ends up coming to Duke, the top of this list may change.

sleepybear
09-17-2010, 02:10 AM
Air
Brickey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqAZZSqM-Io

juise
09-17-2010, 02:25 AM
I have to agree that Grant and Gerald are, in some order #1 and #2. I would say that they are closely followed by Danhtay and next is Corey. I loved that the Dahntay's Ball State dunk was there with K imitating it. Obviously, there were also some legendary individual dunks in that video from the likes of Brickey and Dawkins.

I love that video. Thanks, DBP!

Reilly
09-17-2010, 06:34 AM
Robert Brickey. The *only* name that popped into my mind when I read the question.

JBDuke
09-17-2010, 07:44 AM
When I think of "best dunker", I think of guys that got me sitting on the edge of my chair in anticipation when they've got the ball at halfcourt and a clear path to the rim.

Johnny D has to be on the list somewhere. He couldn't palm the ball, so his dunks were almost all one-handed, but there's something magical about watching a little guy fly. Johnny was listed at 6'2", but he was maybe 6' even, so he really had to get up to throw it down, especially two-handed. He would just levitate up there for a while. And he was so quick, he'd blow by guys and get to the rim before anyone expected it.

I wish I had seen more of Tink's play. I wasn't yet a Duke fan when he wore the blue and white, and I now regret missing out, because he apparently had some thunderous dunks.

David Henderson also should be mentioned. David was the athletic power dunker of the '86 team. His throwdown vs. Washington in 1985 was legendary. A lot like Gerald in that, in the words of Jay Bilas "that young man just has another step on his ladder that the rest of us don't have".

Others have mentioned Phil Henderson (what is it about guys named Henderson?) and Robert Brickey. The Mourning dunk is just one of many that Phil thrilled us with, but I can't think of a signature dunk for Robert.

But I'll agree with the folks touting Grant as the #1 dunker. At least of the ones I've seen. So, my list is:

#1: Grant Hill
#2: Gerald Henderson
#3: Johnny Dawkins

HM: Tink (on rep alone), Brickey, David Henderson, Phil Henderson, Dahntay, and Corey (makes it on this list with just one year of play)

davekay1971
09-17-2010, 07:47 AM
Air
Brickey

Loved that video, complete with the era appropriate music...and for Marty Padgett and Bill Dracos going nuts at the start of the video. Brickey was amazing.

As for the original question, however, I go with Grant. We had four years of him electrifying us with his athleticism, game after game. But it was the Kansas dunk that seals the deal for him. It would have been a sensational dunk in any game situation. But in that context - opening up the national championship game with an emphatic announcement that no, Duke is not tired or satisfied or emotionally spent after the UNLV game, and that Kansas is in for a long night - and the fact that I will always remember that moment, being in Cameron Indoor Stadium watching it on the big screen and going crazy with 5,000 of my closest friends - makes me remember that dunk as the coolest moment of basketball I've ever seen.

hood7
09-17-2010, 08:39 AM
To say who is the "best" is impossible, as it's really subjective/opinion. But I've been around long enough to have enjoyed watching and cheering for all the players named on this list, and they're all great and deserving. We Duke fans have really been spoiled!

But the first and last name that comes to my mind is Brickey. What an unusual and spectacular and cool athlete. People used to say "Brickey" instead of "cheese" when someone was taking a picture...it always brought out the biggest and most genuine smiles!

Also Johnny Dawkins deserves a mention and so does Jason Williams. Johnny just floated higher than you could imagine (the reverse jam vs. Navy has to be one of the best single Duke dunks ever), and Jason threw down some dunks that were just sort of violent.

DevilWolf
09-17-2010, 08:58 AM
I'm surprised Josh McRoberts isn't at least in the conversation.

CLT Devil
09-17-2010, 09:06 AM
Robert Brickey. The *only* name that popped into my mind when I read the question.

I have a freind who was the PF on the William and Mary team that was associated with the famous quote - "I think only Mary showed up for this game (sic)." He said that he literally looked over and Brick's sneakers were right at his face-level...guy is about 6'8"...impressive.

Does McBob get a mention on this thread? He might not have left on the best terms, but it was pretty amazing what he could do off of an inbounds pass, backward alley-oops and just throwing it down with authority.

I also agree Markie and Ewing were under rated. All time, partly because of my age and partly because the dunk has become more common I would go:

1) G - Amazing hops
2) Grant - Significance of Dunks and for nearly hitting head on backboard a few times
3) Between Dhantay and Maggette. I'd go with Dhantay bc I got to see more. I remember Maggette getting a couple of T's for doing pullups on the rim...

superdave
09-17-2010, 09:10 AM
Air
Brickey

I always thought of Brickey. I think he aspired to dunk like Len Bias.

roywhite
09-17-2010, 09:29 AM
I always thought of Brickey. I think he aspired to dunk like Len Bias.

Another vote for Brickey.

Lots of good candidates (and Mason Plumlee should be up there also), but Brickey is the name that came to mind first.

Tremendous explosiveness.

flyingdutchdevil
09-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Gerald Henderson. It's always more impressive with a little man (although a legit 6'4" isn't little, it is in the ACC).

I like GHill, but another poster stated that GHill is taller, which makes his dunks a little less impressive (don't get me wrong, GHill's dunks are still amazing!).

Of all the ACC games I've watched, the only non-last-5-minutes-of-the-game-play where I've gotten out of my chair is the GHenderson dunk against Maryland. That was the greatest revenge dunk I have every seen.

monkey
09-17-2010, 10:16 AM
Maggette. And I'm incredulous that others don't have him in their top 3. He had serious ups. And length of tenure should have nothing to do with it.

strawbs
09-17-2010, 10:41 AM
gerald henderson!

His dunk at Maryland is my all time favorite dunk. It was a sick dunk, and then his reaction put it over the top.

Tommac
09-17-2010, 11:17 AM
I'll go with Gene Banks.

Rogue
09-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Tinkerbell

GENE, GENE, THE DUNKIN MACHINE

Lord Ash
09-17-2010, 12:15 PM
Maggette. And I'm incredulous that others don't have him in their top 3. He had serious ups. And length of tenure should have nothing to do with it.

I agree that Corey was INSANE, and he would probably be number 4 or 5 on my list. However, I think length of tenure DOES have something to do with it, because you can build a body of work:) Grant had four years worth of spectacular to amaze us, and Gerald had a bunch too.

About McRoberts, I would definitely put him in the top somewhere... but not top 3, which is why I didn't mention him.

And yeah, Gerald's revenge dunk against Maryland is my favorite Duke dunk ever.

monkey
09-17-2010, 12:52 PM
I agree that Corey was INSANE, and he would probably be number 4 or 5 on my list. However, I think length of tenure DOES have something to do with it, because you can build a body of work:) Grant had four years worth of spectacular to amaze us, and Gerald had a bunch too.

Ok - gotta go against this - even if you are the original poster :) ... the question you posed was (to be technical) - who is [or was, I suppose] the best dunker in Duke history... not who had the best dunks in Duke history. The focus of the question was on the player - and therefore the player's abilities, not what they actually achieved in games for a length of time. Now, certainly the longer they were at Duke gives us a better view as to their abilities (body of work so to speak) - however, given that Corey has showcased his abilities in the NBA for many years afterwards, I think it's pretty publicly available what he's able/has been able/was able to do. And man ... scandal notwithstanding, I really wish we could have seen several more years of Corey in Duke uni.

PADukeMom
09-17-2010, 02:12 PM
I would concur that it would have been if Maggette had stayed for more than one year so I would say it is a toss-up between Henderson & Dawkins.

However the best ever dunk has got to be Danhaty's dunk into a push-up. I have it bookmarked.

CharlestonDevil
09-17-2010, 02:37 PM

Several factors go in to someone being the "best". Quantity, Quality (how high, who they dunked over), and the WOW factor (player size/ability, agressiveness, and speed).

Magette was a FREAK. The kid just looked like he would take your arm off if you tried to block his dunk. All of Grant's dunks looked so easy b/c of his althletic ability. His dunks were awesome but they weren't intimidating. And Brickey was similar from I have seen.

In my mind Dhantay and G were SCARY dunkers. G could take off from anywhere and slam one down. He was so exciting b/c he would literally fly over anyone in his way. And yes Jay Bilas, the kid does "have an extra step on his ladder". But I give the edge to Dhantay here b/c his agressive style and cocky attitude combined with his awesome athleticism separate him from the pack. If Grant does pushups after dunking on someone, or Coach K is so wowed that he imitates G's slam I would probably give them the edge.

But Dhantay pulls out the win here. Put me down for vote #1.

hq2
09-17-2010, 11:17 PM
A tough race between Brickey and G Hill. I give the nod to G Hill, not because he had more dunks, but many of his were truly incredible (although some of Brickey's were too).

IMHO (where the H is usually silent) the three best dunks in Duke history because of their art and game significance were (a) Tinkerbell over 7-4 Ralph Sampson circa 1980; (b) Phil Henderson over Alonzo Mourning of Georgetown in the 1989 regional finals and (c) the Grant dunk over Kansas in the 1991 National Championship game. FWIW, I don't have much interest in scoring dunks like a gymnastics or aerial skiing competition.

Those three dunks would be hands down the best in Duke history, although I would put Grant's first; I saw that one in person, and I still can't believe it happened. I would put McBob's reverse slam against Carolina, where he caught it about 10 feet from the basket and reverse jammed it, as #4.

cspan37421
09-18-2010, 12:28 AM
We appreciate what we know best. Banks was before my time.

The Brickey video was good but was missing his greatest dunk - and one of the best dunks I ever saw at Duke, maybe 2nd only to Hurley to Hill vs. Kansas. This dunk ended up being called a charge ... quite wrongly, IMO. Anyway, he was pretty much horizontal as he threw it down. Guy had mad hops. Someone said something about 6'8"? He was listed at 6'5", which makes his aerobatics all the more impressive.

Hurley to Hill was incredibly important ... and impressive. Not far behind was Phil Henderson's dunk on Alonzo Mourning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbIxFvMmcmc

As for a career body of work, it's hard for me to say - I focus more on their total game, don't put that much weight on dunking ability. For me, GHill's dunks were impressive more because of the moves that got him to the rim, not as much the dunk itself. That first step was lethal.

Back to individual dunks, though. Memory lane. Didn't Johnny Dawkins put a fast-break, reverse slam down on Navy in the '86 NCAAT? That same year, I think, Quin Snyder flew down the lane from the free throw line (or so) on some winter-break opponent.

I once saw a jaw-dropping baseline move by Carmen Wallace (I think it was him) that ended in a throwdown from the other side of the rim. I'd enjoy seeing that again, though maybe it was amazing because it was an A-level move from a second-team player. Even then, I can't help but think, it truly was that great.

Edouble
09-18-2010, 01:57 AM
People are qualifying the question in different ways, but to me the question is "Which player who wore a Duke uniform could dunk the ball the best"--to me it's pretty clearly Magette. I am pretty sure he is the only Duke player we are discussing that has participated in the NBA Dunk Contest.

dukestheheat
09-18-2010, 05:59 PM
I was at Duke when the Brick was throwing it down! One versus the holes at Cameron still gives me the chills. I can still see him floating down the lane with the tomahawk and then he just seemed to CONSUME the rim.

dth.

ScreechTDX1847
09-18-2010, 09:13 PM
Grant Hill

kthanksbye.

trinity92
09-18-2010, 10:29 PM
Grant was the better player and could take anyone off the dribble, but Brickey is #1 for what he did when he got there.

jipops
09-18-2010, 11:22 PM
My personal favorites

- Grant's dunk vs G Tech (shown at the 1:05 mark)
- Grant's dunk over Marquette and McIlvaine in the ncaa tournament
- Phil Henderson's dunk on Mourning - just b/c it was on a great defensive presence like Mourning

striker219
09-19-2010, 03:54 AM
Put me down as one vote for GH.

And yes.

CrazyNotCrazie
09-19-2010, 08:23 AM
He's not the best, but I also have to log a vote for Carmen Wallace for honorable mention. He had ridiculous hops, and in the limited PT he got, made some incredible dunks, and he was a huge fan favorite.

I agree that Henderson's dunk on Mourning was one of the top two or three ever at Duke, both in terms of style and significance - it really showed that we weren't afraid of anyone.

4decadedukie
09-19-2010, 09:23 AM
Many of deserving nominees, but please permit me to add a "+1" to Gene Banks (originally proposed by Sage). I suppose many DBR participants never saw Tinkerbell in action -- hell, many weren't born when he graced Cameron -- but he was an artist with the ball and he could dunk. I am not suggesting he was Duke's best (Grant is my pick for that honor), but Banks was awfully good -- especially in clutch situations.

DevilHorns
09-19-2010, 10:06 AM
This is easy for me. GH. (But I wasn't a Duke fan during the Brickey days, though comparing dunks I go with GH).

Lord Ash
09-19-2010, 11:55 AM
I think people should be sure to specific if GH is Grant Hill or Gerald Henderson:)

dukestheheat
09-19-2010, 02:24 PM
We appreciate what we know best. Banks was before my time.

The Brickey video was good but was missing his greatest dunk - and one of the best dunks I ever saw at Duke, maybe 2nd only to Hurley to Hill vs. Kansas. This dunk ended up being called a charge ... quite wrongly, IMO. Anyway, he was pretty much horizontal as he threw it down. Guy had mad hops. Someone said something about 6'8"? He was listed at 6'5", which makes his aerobatics all the more impressive.

Hurley to Hill was incredibly important ... and impressive. Not far behind was Phil Henderson's dunk on Alonzo Mourning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbIxFvMmcmc

As for a career body of work, it's hard for me to say - I focus more on their total game, don't put that much weight on dunking ability. For me, GHill's dunks were impressive more because of the moves that got him to the rim, not as much the dunk itself. That first step was lethal.

Back to individual dunks, though. Memory lane. Didn't Johnny Dawkins put a fast-break, reverse slam down on Navy in the '86 NCAAT? That same year, I think, Quin Snyder flew down the lane from the free throw line (or so) on some winter-break opponent.

I once saw a jaw-dropping baseline move by Carmen Wallace (I think it was him) that ended in a throwdown from the other side of the rim. I'd enjoy seeing that again, though maybe it was amazing because it was an A-level move from a second-team player. Even then, I can't help but think, it truly was that great.

Hey cspan,

Might you be referring to Brick's right-hand in your face over the Holes' Scott Williams at UNC? The referee whistled him for traveling as he loaded up the dunk; that, for sure, was his best dunk that I've ever seen and he did NOT TRAVEL on the play! Brick got the ball mid-court and only Williams stood between him and the goal, and Brick comes down the right side of the lane at very high speed, takes off, and Williams works to block the dunk but to no avail, and then Brick just crushes the ball into the rim, with Williams looking up at him. It was just an incredible dunk and thrown with incredible power.

I have spoken on two separate occasions to RB about that dunk: last time we chatted about it was this summer in Mebane at a Subway for lunch. I told him I had vivid memories of that one and he said 'yep, me too. The ref whistled me for traveling but I didn't think I did. And when I got home that night after the game, my roommate had the dunk on the video and we watched it over and over to see if I'd traveled, and I didn't.'

Anyway, we've had many great dunkers but I stick with The Brick.

dth.

mpj96
09-19-2010, 03:53 PM
Hill, Maggette

everybody else.

striker219
09-19-2010, 04:39 PM
I think people should be sure to specific if GH is Grant Hill or Gerald Henderson:)

No, I think I'm just going to stick with GH.

Lord Ash
09-19-2010, 06:33 PM
*laugh* Okay, I suppose in some way you outsmart us all that way:)

Are there any other GHs in Duke history? I could not think of any off the top of my head, but...

Lord Ash
09-19-2010, 07:04 PM
In answer to my own question no, there are only two GHs in Duke history, if you don't count HG Hendrick, who played for Duke in the 1909-1911 seasons.

Verga3
09-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Props to GH & GH, but Phil Henderson's face dunk over Alonzo Mourning respecting the team, the game, the time, and the shock value was absolutely amazing to see live.

Cockabeau
09-19-2010, 07:40 PM
Robert Brickey-hands down

basket1544
09-19-2010, 08:12 PM
*laugh* Okay, I suppose in some way you outsmart us all that way:)

Are there any other GHs in Duke history? I could not think of any off the top of my head, but...

That's it! Recruit more players with the initials GH! Or based on other comments more players with the last name Henderson.

My vote is still for Grant. There were other players with great dunks, but G Hill was money every time.

aro24
09-21-2010, 08:47 AM
Ok....these were not Duke players, but I remember watching these in installments during halftimes of Duke games when I was in high school. Included in these were 2 of the most impressive dunks I have ever seen, both by longjumper Michael Conley.....2 hands from the foul line and 1 hand from a step behind the line.....

Anyone else remember these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29TixSRcEA4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I33ajPZzWzU

ARo24

Tom B.
09-21-2010, 12:39 PM
- Grant's dunk over Marquette and McIlvaine in the ncaa tournament

That one was especially sweet because Grant had won the Henry Iba Corinthian Award (the award given annually to the best defensive player in college basketball) the year before, but McIlvaine won it in 1994, thus preventing Grant from being a repeat winner. I like to think of the dunk as Grant's way of saying, "Well congratulations, Mr. Defensive Player of the Year."

Another one of my favorite Grant dunks occurred in the game against UNC in Cameron in 1992 -- the one where Grant took off from the baseline, dunked on Eric Montross and ended up straddling Montross like he was riding a horse (and to add insult to injury, the ref called a foul on Montross).

SilkyJ
09-21-2010, 01:21 PM
Ok....these were not Duke players, but I remember watching these in installments during halftimes of Duke games when I was in high school. Included in these were 2 of the most impressive dunks I have ever seen, both by longjumper Michael Conley.....2 hands from the foul line and 1 hand from a step behind the line.....

Anyone else remember these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29TixSRcEA4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I33ajPZzWzU

ARo24

WHOA. Never seen those videos. Love the Deon/Griffey/Conley one.

The 2 hander from inside the foul line was scary. Meaning scary good and literally scary to watch. I HATE seeing guys hang on the rim with that much forward momentum. I've seen too many guys lose their grip and fall 10 feet straight onto their back. Injury waiting to happen...

60's Devil
09-21-2010, 03:01 PM

sagegrouse

Who can ever forget the announcer saying " in your face Alonzo!" I think it was Brent Musberger

magjayran
09-21-2010, 03:16 PM
I never saw Gene Banks play but I've heard that he could throw it down with the best.

I rank them like this...

1) Brickey. Man I wish there was more Brickey footage online. He threw down so many dunks and with authority. I know Johnny D and Kenny Denard had thrown down some reverse dunks before Robert but they didn't do it so monstrously.

2) Grant. Sometimes he made it look too easy but he threw down some sick dunks and that one against Kansas is legendary.

3) D. Jones/G. Henderson. Had a couple of legendary facials plus the signature mid-air pose on fast breaks. I was at a game against Georgetown sitting at eye level to the rim when he caught an alley from Duhon. One of those plays where you think the pass was a bad decision until you saw Dahnte with his eyes at rim level catching and slamming with ease. Then of course there's G. Wasn't that long ago so not as many reminders are needed. Going back and looking through some of his highlights he definitely began to understand that there were things that he had the ability to do that other people couldn't by his final year.

4) Josh McRoberts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PABT1hqX6nc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWIqZKhNY90

5) Tony Lang/ Johnny Dawkins. Maybe he was overshadowed by Grant during his time at Duke but he was nasty. Remember when we had Brian Davis, T. and G. Hill, and Tony Lang all on the same roster. There were lots of dunks. Even Marty Clark would throw one down on occasion. Remember Princess Peach in Super Mario Bros. 2? That's how JD used to float through the air. His feet always seemed to be way too far away from the floor on those alley-oops. Love that guy.

Duke79UNLV77
09-21-2010, 03:51 PM
for what it's worth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx6QsEC8AV8

Duke: A Dynasty
09-21-2010, 10:06 PM
Id say:
1. Gerald Henderson
2. Johnny Dawkins
3. Grant Hill (height took away points for me)

O and why Josh? I dont specifically remember anything flashy except one in bounds alleyoop from Greg

aro24
09-22-2010, 09:13 AM
for what it's worth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx6QsEC8AV8

I have not seen this in years.....it seems like they showed this as a promo during the Maui invitational that year. I remember seeing it on TV but haven't seen it since.

Thanks for sharing.

ARo24

magjayran
09-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Id say:

O and why Josh? I dont specifically remember anything flashy except one in bounds alleyoop from Greg

Then you must not have watched many of his games. Dude might have thrown down more reverse jams than regular jams.

hq2
09-22-2010, 07:31 PM
As I stated earlier, the one he did against Carolina was pretty incredible. I hope
someone has a tape of it somewhere.

UrinalCake
09-23-2010, 09:24 AM
Agreed; McRoberts had some serious hops. He had a couple alley-oops towards the end of the 2006 game against LSU that nearly brought us back into it. And that year I also remember a monstrous slam against NC State during the ACC tournament. Say what you will about the guy but he could definitely slam.

AZLA
09-24-2010, 02:24 AM
Grant is the best IMO. I like to also include his NBA dunks and his first few years in Detroit were incredible. The Kansas dunk was epic. I believe it broke the Jayhawks' collective will to fight at that point. I seemed to remember a few sweet Ricky Price dunks, but couldn't find any video to back it up online. Then I wondered what he's been up to and found this: http://www.blogger.com/profile/06961191829988529173

hq2
09-24-2010, 09:20 AM
That should be it's own thread. Hey, it's great Ricky is doing so well. His Duke career was sort of a disappointment. Nice he's managed to become a good TV personality.

uh_no
09-24-2010, 09:24 AM
Jon
Scheyer

duke blue brewcrew
09-24-2010, 09:55 PM

I have to say, I put...

So! What do folks think?

My top 5 all time favorite dunkers:

5. Dahntay Jones - Raw power, athletecism and intimidation when he went to the hole
4. Corey Maggette - We only got to enjoy it for one year, but WHAT a year!
3. Johnny Dawkins - My childhood hero and an amazing talent, he was fun to watch!
2. Gerald Henderson - Easily deserving of the number 1 ranking, his dunks made my jaw drop! In particular the response dunk against Maryland made me stand up and scream!
1. Grant Hill - He gets the nod for my top spot. He piled up an impressive resume of dunks in his career. The crown jewel has to be his ally-oop throw down in the '91 Championship game...still trying to figure out how he even got his hands on that pass!

sleepybear
09-24-2010, 11:16 PM
1. Brickey
2. G. Hill
3. Dawkins
4. G. Henderson
5. Banks
6. Magette
7. Jones
8. P. Henderson
9. McRoberts
10. Boozer
11. D. Henderson
12. Brand
13. Battier

Azdukefan
09-25-2010, 05:02 PM
After lurking this thread, and mulling through the options, I think I will go with consistency. JJ Redick never missed a dunk. He has to be the greatest Duke dunker ever.:p

duke blue brewcrew
09-25-2010, 05:07 PM
After lurking this thread, and mulling through the options, I think I will go with consistency. JJ Redick never missed a dunk. He has to be the greatest Duke dunker ever.:p

Don't forget about Marty Clark...he has to be an all-timer! :D

magjayran
09-25-2010, 06:30 PM
1. Brickey
2. G. Hill
3. Dawkins
4. G. Henderson
5. Banks
6. Magette
7. Jones
8. P. Henderson
9. McRoberts
10. Boozer
11. D. Henderson
12. Brand
13. Battier

Favorite is a great way to put it. If I want to rank favorites then it's Brickey, Brian Davis, D. Jones, Tony Lang, G. Hill, and Gerald Henderson in that order. T. Hill with the honorable mention.

hq2
09-25-2010, 09:35 PM
After lurking this thread, and mulling through the options, I think I will go with consistency. JJ Redick never missed a dunk. He has to be the greatest Duke dunker ever.

Actually, on this vein, I nominate as one of my top ten Duke ten dunks of all time the one Jim Spanarkel threw down in the ACC championship in 1978. Spanarkel, in my memory, had never dunked in a game before. It was near the end of the game, when Duke was celebrating it's first ACC championship in 12 years, and he drove in and (barely) slammed one. It brought the house down. It's still one of my favorite Duke basketball moments.

Doctor Joe
10-11-2010, 12:05 AM
I recall being at Cameron for Price's first game back after academic suspension vs. Mercer. He threw down the most hellacious 360 slam I have even seen. Yes, it was in the open court and uncontested, but never seen anything like it by a Duke player in a game.

chrisheery
10-11-2010, 12:51 AM
I recall being at Cameron for Price's first game back after academic suspension vs. Mercer. He threw down the most hellacious 360 slam I have even seen. Yes, it was in the open court and uncontested, but never seen anything like it by a Duke player in a game.

I was at that game too. It was unreal. He spun the wrong way (if you are looking down at his head, he spun clockwise--harder for a righty, I'd think, I've never done a 360 dunk spinning either way) and then threw it down with two hands. I think he also jumped from about a full step inside the free throw line, about 3/4 of the lane, so 8-9 feet from the rim? It was just unreal. I took my brothers and sister to that game and we all still talk about it as one of the most amazing dunks we have ever seen.

chrisheery
10-11-2010, 12:53 AM

Not sure if JJ missed one. I know I saw him get one down, but I thought he might have missed one too. I know Trajan got down the only one I ever saw him attempt. And he really punched it too. It was shocking.

flyingdutchdevil
10-11-2010, 03:13 AM
Not sure if JJ missed one. I know I saw him get one down, but I thought he might have missed one too. I know Trajan got down the only one I ever saw him attempt. And he really punched it too. It was shocking.

Pretty sure that JJ was 2 for 2 in this college career. I remember watching the first one live; Cameron exploded like I've never seen it for a full minute.

stevenc23
10-18-2010, 06:24 PM
Actually Johnny Dawkins was also in the NBA Dunk Contest. His reverse jam against Navy in the NCAAs was without a doubt one of the best dunks in Duke history.

People are qualifying the question in different ways, but to me the question is "Which player who wore a Duke uniform could dunk the ball the best"--to me it's pretty clearly Magette. I am pretty sure he is the only Duke player we are discussing that has participated in the NBA Dunk Contest.

SilkyJ
10-18-2010, 06:31 PM
Pretty sure that JJ was 2 for 2 in this college career. I remember watching the first one live; Cameron exploded like I've never seen it for a full minute.

Yup. Did it back to back games, IIRC. First was MD at home, next was BC on the road. Definitely came out of nowhere and made sportscenter too, haha.

I remember him saying afterwards something to the effect of "I won't be doing that again, it takes a lot of effort to get up that high. My legs hurt."

Hyoster
10-19-2010, 01:07 PM
The first guy I thought of was Brickey, then Carmen Wallace and actually Billy King, the latter two because they were unexpected.

Agree with most that Brickey, G Hill and G Henderson were tops. Also "Mean Gene the Dunking Machine" (I actually saw him in a warm up suit with that nickname written on the back, on the main quad) was awesome.

Carmen really threw it down, and does anyone else remember Billy King's dunks? Not too many, but I remember a few that were very reminiscent of James Worthy, with the arm completely straight as he flew toward the basket.

hq2
10-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Agree with most that Brickey, G Hill and G Henderson were tops. Also "Mean Gene the Dunking Machine" (I actually saw him in a warm up suit with that nickname written on the back, on the main quad) was awesome.

Humility was never one of Gene's strong suits. As I recall, not that long ago, (maybe 10 years ago) he showed up at a Duke game in an outfit that said "The Gene Banks legend". But, be that as it may, I would have to say that Gene's coming to Duke was the single greatest recruiting coup in Duke history. And his dunks certainly resonate to this day, especially the one against Ralph Sampson. That will never be forgotten.

Reilly
12-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Mason now has the most dunks in Duke history.

Saw these stats in today's gamenotes:

Career Dunks - Duke
Rk Player, Years Dunks
1. Mason Plumlee, 2010-p 149
2. Robert Brickey, 1987-90 147
3. Shelden Wiliams, 2003-06 146
4. Grant Hill, 1991-94 135

[emphasis added] ... when I saw the stats I thought of this thread ... Brickey is still the best I've seen ... he was 6-5, not 6-11, and his dunks would come on drives in traffic ...

Atldukie79
12-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Humility was never one of Gene's strong suits. As I recall, not that long ago, (maybe 10 years ago) he showed up at a Duke game in an outfit that said "The Gene Banks legend". But, be that as it may, I would have to say that Gene's coming to Duke was the single greatest recruiting coup in Duke history. And his dunks certainly resonate to this day, especially the one against Ralph Sampson. That will never be forgotten.

I recall with some (marginal) pride leading the Duke Pep band in playing a musical riff from the then popular TV show "The Gong Show" which always preceded a spontaneous dance routine from a character named "Gene, Gene, the dancing machine". Of course Gene Banks was referred to as "Gene, Gene the dunking machine".

To HQ2's point, Gene was a departure recruit for Duke. He brought a combo of power and grace that has become more common in the gamenow, but stood out in the late 1970's. Compared to his peers, Gene's dunking abilities stood out. The only contemporary Duke dunk which compared was Kenny Dennard's break away reverse jam in Providence RI. I had never seen such a thing and wasn't quite sure it was possible at the time.

Indoor66
12-01-2012, 11:36 AM
I recall with some (marginal) pride leading the Duke Pep band in playing a musical riff from the then popular TV show "The Gong Show" which always preceded a spontaneous dance routine from a character named "Gene, Gene, the dancing machine". Of course Gene Banks was referred to as "Gene, Gene the dunking machine".

To HQ2's point, Gene was a departure recruit for Duke. He brought a combo of power and grace that has become more common in the gamenow, but stood out in the late 1970's. Compared to his peers, Gene's dunking abilities stood out. The only contemporary Duke dunk which compared was Kenny Dennard's break away reverse jam in Providence RI. I had never seen such a thing and wasn't quite sure it was possible at the time.

The thing about the Dennard reverse dunk was the HUGE grin on his face at the time. Take that, Rollie, take that.

jv001
12-01-2012, 02:00 PM
I liked the Phil Henderson dunk myself. Little guy dunking over a good big man. Can't remember who that big guy was. Ralph Sampson? GoDuke!

summerwind03
12-01-2012, 02:21 PM
I liked the Phil Henderson dunk myself. Little guy dunking over a good big man. Can't remember who that big guy was. Ralph Sampson? GoDuke!

Alonzo Mourning.

jv001
12-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Alonzo Mourning.

Thanks, I knew it was on a good big guy. GoDuke!

DisplacedBlueDevil
12-01-2012, 03:14 PM
For all you GH (Gerald Henderson Jr.) folks - one of my all-time top 5's at Duke was KS in the Blue-White game in 2007. An unknown frosh, he caught an alley oop pass over Henderson and reverse slammed it. I'm pretty sure it was still the first half. There was a split-second of shock before the place erupted and GH had a look of disbelief - he got even a few times later in the game. I think Singler's freshman year was his best year of dunking (with fresh, unworn legs), and that first time on Cameron's court was his best one I ever saw...

JBDuke
12-01-2012, 04:21 PM

Alonzo Mourning.

In an NCAA Regional Final game where Georgetown was the #1 seed in 1989.

pamtar
01-26-2013, 05:25 PM
IMHO, you gotta put Mason in the top 3 after today. Coupled with the OSU alley, he's got two of the top 25 dunks in Duke history in 1/2 season. As previously mentioned, he also leads the program in all-time dunks made.

LINK (http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2013/01/26/mason-plumlee-2-handed-reverse-follow-dunk-is-crazy-athletic/) courtesy Les Grossman (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?30330-MBB-Duke-84-Maryland-64-Post-Game-Thread&p=620785#post620785)

and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4ijEh2y13c&feature=player_embedded

and for good measure http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7imMdUFUR0&feature=player_embedded

slower
01-26-2013, 06:18 PM
IMHO, you gotta put Mason in the top 3 after today. Coupled with the OSU alley, he's got two of the top 25 dunks in Duke history in 1/2 season. As previously mentioned, he also leads the program in all-time dunks made.

LINK (http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2013/01/26/mason-plumlee-2-handed-reverse-follow-dunk-is-crazy-athletic/) courtesy Les Grossman (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?30330-MBB-Duke-84-Maryland-64-Post-Game-Thread&p=620785#post620785)

and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4ijEh2y13c&feature=player_embedded

and for good measure http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7imMdUFUR0&feature=player_embedded

Wouldn't put him in the Top 3. Right off the top of my head, he's behind Gerald Henderson, Brickey and Dahntay Jones. Top 10, definitely.

pamtar
01-26-2013, 06:33 PM
Wouldn't put him in the Top 3. Right off the top of my head, he's behind Gerald Henderson, Brickey and Dahntay Jones. Top 10, definitely.

Brickey is definitely No 1. I'll give you Dahntay at 2, no argument. But I gotta put Mason ahead of Gerald. G has more hop, but the fact that Mason is a senior and has more dunks than anyone, ever, puts him at No.2 for me.

slower
01-26-2013, 07:03 PM
Brickey is definitely No 1. I'll give you Dahntay at 2, no argument. But I gotta put Mason ahead of Gerald. G has more hop, but the fact that Mason is a senior and has more dunks than anyone, ever, puts him at No.2 for me.

Fair enough. We can agree to disagree. :D

ChicagoCrazy84
01-26-2013, 07:05 PM

I like your argument, but I tend to think if you have Dahntay #1, you have to have G up there as well because a lot of their highlight reel dunks are the same. I still have G ahead of Mason because of the sheer surprise you would get with his. With Mason being 6'11, he doesnt have that jump out of your seat type stuff that G had IMO.

pamtar
01-26-2013, 07:39 PM
Fair enough. We can agree to disagree.

Works for me :)

I like your argument, but I tend to think if you have Dahntay #1, you have to have G up there as well because a lot of their highlight reel dunks are the same. I still have G ahead of Mason because of the sheer surprise you would get with his. With Mason being 6'11, he doesnt have that jump out of your seat type stuff that G had IMO.

I agree with you that G's dunks had a certain wow factor that, aside from today, Mason's don't. Pound-for-pound (or inch-for-inch) G was probably better. I guess the purist in me just can't ignore that he left early...

WVDUKEFAN
01-26-2013, 09:06 PM
I didn't read the first four pages of posts, but I have to nominate Grant Hill. I used to love the way Bobby Hurley would would set him up on an alley oop or how Grant could take it off the dribble to the rack. My personal favorite was the reverse throw down against the fab five in the 1992 title game that we were supposed to loose. Grant Hill was beyond a special player.

throatybeard
01-27-2013, 01:51 AM
Mason now has the most dunks in Duke history.

Saw these stats in today's gamenotes:

Career Dunks - Duke
Rk Player, Years Dunks
1. Mason Plumlee, 2010-p 149
2. Robert Brickey, 1987-90 147
3. Shelden Wiliams, 2003-06 146
4. Grant Hill, 1991-94 135

[emphasis added] ... when I saw the stats I thought of this thread ... Brickey is still the best I've seen ... he was 6-5, not 6-11, and his dunks would come on drives in traffic ...

Brickey is still in my top 3 favorite Duke players list, and I have an autographed jersey. (I was born in 1976 and started paying attention in 1984). In no order, it's him, Brian Davis, and Wojo. The dunk stat doesn't surprise me.

Cameron
01-27-2013, 06:52 AM
In terms of combing creativity, power and awe, the top five, in chronological order, are hands down Robert Brickey, Grant Hill, Corey Maggette, Dahntay Jones and Gerald Henderson. When taking into account that Mason Plumlee is as tall as a ladder, the awe just isn't there. It is what it is. Although, to be sure, Mason has certainly pulled off some outstandingly difficult and powerful dunks during his tenure at Duke.

My personal favorite dunk of all-time. Ricky Price's around the world against Mercer in '97. Elliot Williams tried to duplicate it years later, but Ricky authored the original and it was beautiful.

I think Andre Dawkins, with more attempts -- although, as a three-point specialist, that'll never happen -- might also be on a list such as this. As demonstrated in the '10 ACC Tournament final, that kid can fly. He without question has the best hops of anybody currently at Duke. To great misfortune, we just don't ever see it.

Newton_14
01-27-2013, 08:09 PM
In terms of combing creativity, power and awe, the top five, in chronological order, are hands down Robert Brickey, Grant Hill, Corey Maggette, Dahntay Jones and Gerald Henderson. When taking into account that Mason Plumlee is as tall as a ladder, the awe just isn't there. It is what it is. Although, to be sure, Mason has certainly pulled off some outstandingly difficult and powerful dunks during his tenure at Duke.

My personal favorite dunk of all-time. Ricky Price's around the world against Mercer in '97. Elliot Williams tried to duplicate it years later, but Ricky authored the original and it was beautiful.

I think Andre Dawkins, with more attempts -- although, as a three-point specialist, that'll never happen -- might also be on a list such as this. As demonstrated in the '10 ACC Tournament final, that kid can fly. He without question has the best hops of anybody currently at Duke. To great misfortune, we just don't ever see it.

Mason's two blind behind the head two-hand dunks in traffic his freshman year against first Wake at home, then UNC on the road were pretty darn impressive as well, height be damned. He also completed the same dunk Len completed yesterday, against Presbyterian his Sophomore year, but did it almost on a full sprint coming down the baseline which to me had a higher degree of difficulty than did Len's (and Len's was awesome).

Brickey was a man-beast. Had he been 2-3 inches taller he would have been All-World. Great, great player. Had hops like Gerald, and toughness like Nate.

davekay1971
01-27-2013, 09:00 PM
Grant Hill. Of course, I always support Grant in any and all "Best" lists at Duke...if only because he belongs on them.

Best Defense? Check. Top 5.
Best All Around? Check. Top 1? Top 5, certainly.
Best Dunks. Without question.

I submit, as evidence A: Duke vs. Kansas, G as the recipient of an alley oop that, if a mere mortal were on the receiving end, would have ended up in causing a nosebleed in the 6th row. Amazing dunk, and the play, of course, set the early tone for the natty.

I submit, as evidence B: Duke vs. Michigan, the next year. Grant elevates from one side of the basket, turns, and jams it two handed on the other side of the basket.

I submit, as evidence C: The down-the-lane dunk against Ga Tech

I submit, as evidence D: the list slightly upthread of all-time most dunks in Duke history. Of the top four dunkers, by number, there are two non-centers (as you'd expect your centers to have more opportunities to throw it down)...Brickey, who should be on anyone's top-Duke-dunkers list...and Grant Hill.

Some of the others mentioned...Dahntay, Gerald...had thunderous dunks. But I rank them definitively behind the holy duo of Brickey and Grant. Mason, however, with that sick dunk against Maryland, not to mention his other sick dunks and sheer volume, has joined Brickey and Grant, IM(h)O.

slower
01-27-2013, 09:34 PM
Some of the others mentioned...Dahntay, Gerald...had thunderous dunks. But I rank them definitively behind the holy duo of Brickey and Grant. Mason, however, with that sick dunk against Maryland, not to mention his other sick dunks and sheer volume, has joined Brickey and Grant, IM(h)O.

Gotta disagree. Though Grant was obviously the better player, some of Gerald's dunks were sicker than anything Grant or Mason ever did. Everybody has their opinion, of course.

Jarhead
01-27-2013, 10:59 PM
Grant Hill. Of course, I always support Grant in any and all "Best" lists at Duke...if only because he belongs on them.

Best Defense? Check. Top 5.
Best All Around? Check. Top 1? Top 5, certainly.
Best Dunks. Without question.

I submit, as evidence A: Duke vs. Kansas, G as the recipient of an alley oop that, if a mere mortal were on the receiving end, would have ended up in causing a nosebleed in the 6th row. Amazing dunk, and the play, of course, set the early tone for the natty.

I submit, as evidence B: Duke vs. Michigan, the next year. Grant elevates from one side of the basket, turns, and jams it two handed on the other side of the basket.

I submit, as evidence C: The down-the-lane dunk against Ga Tech

I submit, as evidence D: the list slightly upthread of all-time most dunks in Duke history. Of the top four dunkers, by number, there are two non-centers (as you'd expect your centers to have more opportunities to throw it down)...Brickey, who should be on anyone's top-Duke-dunkers list...and Grant Hill.

The glorious thing about Grant's dunk against Kansas was the fact that Hurley's pass was a bit off the mark, and he had to adjust in mid air. All of those other sick dunks, as good as they were, required no such adjustment. Watching it live, I sent a cascade of beer and chips all over the family room. He's the man of the last sixty years. Full disclosure, Dick Groat was 61 years ago. It's a virtual tie, and I've seen them all.

UrinalCake
01-28-2013, 01:20 AM
In terms of sheer volume of dunks, Mason is obviously top three. As others have stated, his size and athleticism give him a huge advantage over his defender. But for creativity and "wow" factor I'd have to put several guys above him. Don't get me wrong, he's had some jaw-dropping dunks. He's at his best when he doesn't have time to think, he simply reacts and lets his natural athleticism take over - like the OSU allez-oop from this season. But in a dunk contest format I'd take Maggette, Henderson, McRoberts, and Dahntay, probably in that order. A lot of people seem to forget the amazing dunks that Josh had.

Cameron
01-28-2013, 09:03 AM
Gotta disagree. Though Grant was obviously the better player, some of Gerald's dunks were sicker than anything Grant or Mason ever did. Everybody has their opinion, of course.

This is my view as well. Gerald was AMAZING. That dunk he threw down on Maryland in College Park his junior year was as powerful and as awe-inspiring as anything Mason or anyone not named Grant or Robert or Corey (the top three dunkers in Duke history, bar none IMO) have ever done. I won't go overboard and say that he literally jumped out of the building, but Gerald did draw the crowd to complete silence, and at Maryland, that's even more impressive. He put the hammer down. I like to refer to the dunk as the "Lance Ito."

As slower states, though, everyone views these very subjective debates very differently.

UrinalCake
01-28-2013, 09:14 AM
I won't go overboard and say that he literally jumped out of the building....

I think he literally blew up. Literally. The whole team was literally on fire.

Dev11
01-28-2013, 09:19 AM
This is my view as well. Gerald was AMAZING. That dunk he threw down on Maryland in College Park his junior year was as powerful and as awe-inspiring as anything Mason or anyone not named Grant or Robert or Corey (the top three dunkers in Duke history, bar none IMO) have ever done. I won't go overboard and say that he literally jumped out of the building, but Gerald did draw the crowd to complete silence, and at Maryland, that's even more impressive. He put the hammer down. I like to refer to the dunk as the "Lance Ito."

As slower states, though, everyone views these very subjective debates very differently.

I don't particularly have a horse in this race, but Gerald's dunk against Maryland was not his best dunk. That honor, I believe, belongs to his dunk in Maui where he produced so much rotational inertia that he did a 180 in the air after finishing and then another 180 on the ground just to stop himself. That thing was filthy.

davekay1971
01-28-2013, 09:27 AM
Clearly, Duke needs to put together a compilation film of top 100 dunks in Duke BBall history. I know there are some youtube compilations out there and things of that nature. But we need the definitive, official, Coach K stamp-of-approval version. Now.

jv001
01-28-2013, 10:13 AM
I forgot about Kenny Dennard's behind the head dunk in '78. I thought to myself, did K Dog really do that? Kenny walked to the beat of a different drum. GoDuke!

Indoor66
01-28-2013, 12:59 PM
I forgot about Kenny Dennard's behind the head dunk in '78. I thought to myself, did K Dog really do that? Kenny walked to the beat of a different drum. GoDuke!

This one was definitely first class. The crowd in Providence went crazy. The setup with the Rollie Massemino quotes about Duke being slow was perfect. Duke ran them out of the gym and Kenny placed an exclamation point on the performance. His smile was worth the price of admission. ;)