PDA

View Full Version : Watching State on ESPN, and I'm impressed.

Jarhead
09-16-2010, 08:22 PM
State is up by 14 early over Cincinnati, and I've never seen that stadium as full as it is tonight.

moonpie23
09-16-2010, 08:32 PM
i pull for state as long as they're not playing duke..
http://ui32.gamespot.com/479/702headbanginstick_4.gif

30scheyer
09-16-2010, 08:32 PM
Agreed, but State just fumbled at the one, well-stripped by Cincy.

Geez, Nate Irving just went down and espn showed a photo of the vehicle Nate was in when he fell asleep at the wheel and crashed. C'mon Nate.

Slackerb
09-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Great game last night. At least so far, the Pack look legit.

Their offense has been scary for the past few years, but the defense seems to be able to hold people to less than 30 points now, which has made a huge difference.

left_hook_lacey
09-17-2010, 10:46 AM
I agree, I think State may be in for a great season if everyone can stay healthy. I really expected Cinci to give them a better game.

If I had to say one bad thing about State in this game it would be that they were a little careless with the ball in the in the first half, but that's nitpicking.

The ESPN crew calling the game seemed equally impressed. Overall, a good showing for State and the ACC on ESPN prime-time.....Finally.

jimrowe0
09-17-2010, 11:09 AM
I agree, I think State may be in for a great season if everyone can stay healthy. I really expected Cinci to give them a better game.

If I had to say one bad thing about State in this game it would be that they were a little careless with the ball in the in the first half, but that's nitpicking.

The ESPN crew calling the game seemed equally impressed. Overall, a good showing for State and the ACC on ESPN prime-time.....Finally.

Granted Cinci is not good this year. But overall State played well, but I agree they were careless with the ball several times.

I was at the game last night and pull for State as well unless they are playing Duke. It was a great atmosphere at the game

Devilsfan
09-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Reminder, it was Cincinnati out off the big least not a football powerhouse like JMU.

Olympic Fan
09-17-2010, 12:03 PM
I give them credit ... the Big East may be the only BCS league worse than the ACC, but Cincinnati is the defending champion.

State is 3-0 for the first time since Amato's big year -- 2002? -- when they won their first seven and ended up with 11 wins and a victory over Notre Dame in the Gator Bowl.

I'm not ready to go that far yet -- let's see how they stand after their next two games -- at Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech at home.

I will say that I'm glad to see people come around on Russell Wilson. After all the ridiculous preseason hype over Ponder, Harris and Taylor -- Heisman candidates, really? -- it's about time that people realize that Wilson is the best QB in the ACC (unless it's Sean Renfree ... although he's got to prove it).

left_hook_lacey
09-17-2010, 05:30 PM
I give them credit ... the Big East may be the only BCS league worse than the ACC, but Cincinnati is the defending champion.

State is 3-0 for the first time since Amato's big year -- 2002? -- when they won their first seven and ended up with 11 wins and a victory over Notre Dame in the Gator Bowl.

I'm not ready to go that far yet -- let's see how they stand after their next two games -- at Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech at home.

I will say that I'm glad to see people come around on Russell Wilson. After all the ridiculous preseason hype over Ponder, Harris and Taylor -- Heisman candidates, really? -- it's about time that people realize that Wilson is the best QB in the ACC (unless it's Sean Renfree ... although he's got to prove it).

Yeah, and let's not forget that Cinci was in the Sugarbowl last year. That's an accomplishment that any of the tobacco road schools would like to be able to say.

I agree that Wilson is overlooked a lot. He plays for a school that doesn't get much attention nationally, and he's battled injuries on a bad team almost his entire career. I really hope he can stay healthy and have a good season, he deserves it.

And of course they hyped Harris, Ponder, and Taylor. They play for Miami, FSU, and VT. They're just following protocol as clueless media types that don't have time or make time to really look at all players in the league and just default to a good player at a big name shcool. That is something that has always burned me up. The good thing is, they're starting to take notice now.

Bob Green
09-25-2010, 02:20 PM

Russell Wilson is having a great afternoon in Atlanta. He just ran for a touchdown to give Sate a 31-14 lead over Georgia Tech.

Newton_14
09-25-2010, 02:25 PM
I am watching the game as well Bob. State looks good on offense and defense. Very good team. The Ga Tech radio announcer was interviewed yesterday on our local station here in the Triangle and he made an interesting statement. He said he spoke with Paul Johnson, and they agreed that State was the best team Tech had played so far and at the end of the year it may be that State is the best team they play all year.

Looking at everyone else in the ACC, only Clemson looks anywhere near as good as State. Very glad we do not play them this year.

Bob Green
09-25-2010, 02:29 PM
Looking at everyone else in the ACC, only Clemson looks anywhere near as good as State. Very glad we do not play them this year.

As Olympic Fan pointed out in a different thread, in the preseason, all the hype was on the Coastal Division with four teams ranked in the Top 25, but it now appears the Atlantic Division has the stronger teams. It's nice not to have to play State and Clemson this year.

davekay1971
09-25-2010, 03:03 PM
State has dominated Tech on both sides of the ball today. Only two short missed field goals and a truly horrendous pass from Wilson (in an otherwise stellar afternoon) have kept Ga Tech in this game. Of course, that's State's mojo - critical errors that make life a lot harder on State fans than it ought to be.

All that said, State's offense has been basically unstoppable this year, and State's defense has been much improved over the last two years. They have a good running game, great receiving corps, and probably the ACC's best quarterback (at least, the quarterback who's playing the best in the ACC). With Irving healthy and anchoring the defense, State's defense has become solid and, frequently, opportunistic.

This week and next could really show us where State is in the ACC. Beating Ga Tech at Ga Tech then Va Tech at home would put them firmly in the Top 25 and right in the conversation of ACC contenders.

pfrduke
09-25-2010, 09:06 PM
Granted Cinci is not good this year.

They may be down from last season, but they're looking pretty solid against OU right now. Within 2 with 8 1/2 to play.

Bob Green
10-02-2010, 03:49 PM
State just took the opening kick-off and drove 80 yards for a TD. Russell Wilson repeatedly avoided heavy pressure to complete passes. State 7, VT 0.

GLTBD
10-02-2010, 04:03 PM
NC State 14 VA Tech 0

Bob Green
10-28-2010, 11:17 PM
NC State (3-1) just handed FSU (4-1) their first conference loss of the season. The Wolfpack are having a very good season and represent why all Duke fans need to keep the faith. We will get there!