PDA

View Full Version : Cheerleader of the Week: Our own Katie Brown

SilkyJ
09-16-2010, 12:30 PM
A bunch of photos (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1009/campus.cheer.duke.katie/content.1.html) and a Q&A (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/extramustard/09/16/Duke.cheerleader/index.html?section=si_latest) with Katie.

I hope no one takes offense to this (especially b/c I was friends with several, and dated one of the cheerleaders), but I must say that the attractiveness of our cheerleaders has really increased since I graduated a few years ago.

Jim3k
09-16-2010, 02:02 PM
In pic #20, Katie shows she can palm a basketball (presumably a women's ball). If she can do that, maybe Coach P can find a place for her on the playing floor.

See--most guys can't do that with a men's ball--and we all know that if we could have, we'd have all been big stars. :D

Good for Katie -- nice pics and fun presentation.

And, if they denied her the trip to the Indy FF, I'm darn sure she will have another chance next spring.

CameronBornAndBred
09-16-2010, 02:09 PM
And, if they denied her the trip to the Indy FF, I'm darn sure she will have another chance next spring.
My guess is she wasn't denied, but instead she was on the JV squad last year. They handle the women's games. Devildeac can explain it better, his daughter is Duke cheerleader, this is her second year on the varsity squad. (One is the white team, one is the blue team.)

Lord Ash
09-16-2010, 02:10 PM
Nice! Always fun to see Dukies around.

I have to say, I think the basketball palming picture is a fake... I think there is some sort of sticky substance at work, because her hand does not look like it is doing any work. Hopefully I am wrong.

DukeUsul
09-16-2010, 02:11 PM
I presumed she was doing a high dribble and it was an "action" shot, timed well.

SilkyJ
09-16-2010, 02:34 PM
My guess is she wasn't denied, but instead she was on the JV squad last year. They handle the women's games. Devildeac can explain it better, his daughter is Duke cheerleader, this is her second year on the varsity squad. (One is the white team, one is the blue team.)

I don't know which squad she was on last year, but yes, there is a JV squad that does the women's bball games. They also do the Football games with the varsity (or at least they used to).

A few years ago when I was in school, all freshman cheerleaders were assigned to that squad and could move up to the Varsity for soph year and beyond, but sometimes it took a few girls an extra year to make the jump. Tumbling (i.e back handsprings, flips, etc.) was usually the hurdle there.

Devildeac- which one is your daughter? I know a couple of the current girls through a friend who is a senior this year and met them in Indie last April.

watzone
09-16-2010, 03:43 PM
She was on the varsity last season. Haven't you guys seen our cheerleader of the week pics in the Monday Musings columns? As for the so called ugly cheerleaders schtick ... Coach K can't win a national championship with a short rotation and being the Olympic coach hurts recruiting:)

DrChainsaw
09-16-2010, 04:38 PM
I have to say, I think the basketball palming picture is a fake... I think there is some sort of sticky substance at work, because her hand does not look like it is doing any work. Hopefully I am wrong.

Although Stickum is banned in the NFL, I'm not sure that the NCAA has made a similar ruling for the cheerleading squad.

Perhaps a pre-emptive internal investigation & self-imposed penalties would ward off any official sanctions.

BD80
09-16-2010, 04:44 PM
A bunch of photos (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1009/campus.cheer.duke.katie/content.1.html) and a Q&A (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/extramustard/09/16/Duke.cheerleader/index.html?section=si_latest) with Katie.

I hope no one takes offense to this (especially b/c I was friends with several, and dated one of the cheerleaders), but I must say that the attractiveness of our cheerleaders has really increased since I graduated a few years ago.

Here's an interesting test: Of the 500 or so people that have viewed the thread, how many clicked on the picture link before clicking on the Q & A link? Many of you might be shocked to hear that I went for the picture link :o

Bob Green
09-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Of the 500 or so people that have viewed the thread, how many clicked on the picture link before clicking on the Q & A link?

Those who clicked on the Q & A link are the same folks who buy Playboy for the articles.

SilkyJ
09-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Those who clicked on the Q & A link are the same folks who buy Playboy for the articles.

Interestingly enough, those are the same people who read Greg Doyell for his insightful analysis and thoughtful reporting.

devildeac
09-16-2010, 05:47 PM

I don't know which squad she was on last year, but yes, there is a JV squad that does the women's bball games. They also do the Football games with the varsity (or at least they used to).

A few years ago when I was in school, all freshman cheerleaders were assigned to that squad and could move up to the Varsity for soph year and beyond, but sometimes it took a few girls an extra year to make the jump. Tumbling (i.e back handsprings, flips, etc.) was usually the hurdle there.

Devildeac- which one is your daughter? I know a couple of the current girls through a friend who is a senior this year and met them in Indie last April.

If she did not go to Indy this year it means one of several things:

1. She was injured.
2. She was the Blue squad alternate and all 12 members went so the alternate could not go/cheer.
3. She was on the White squad last year and made the Blue squad this year.

Blue/varsity squad cheers MBB and FB.
White/JV team cheers WBB and FB.

Few freshman make the Blue team. They are expected to learn the dances, cheers, routines and improve their tumbling on the White squad before (hopefully) making the Blue team. The White squad is usually not completed until after a try-out or two after the academic year begins.

Hope that answers/addresses most of the questions.

Silky, please PM me or stop by the Brunchgate/crazietalk tent on Saturday if you will be at WW and introduce yourself. She'll be there before the game for a short time and will certainly stop by after the game. She kinda looks like this: http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/happy/cheerleaderkid.gif but wears colors like this: http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/duke_bluedevil.gif

Thanks.

Lord Ash
09-16-2010, 05:56 PM

Without dragging this TOTALLY off course, I do have to say... if you have never read Bob Knight's Playboy interview from some years back, you are missing the most fascinating piece that has EVER been written on Coach Knight. It was simply mind-blowing. I'll see if I can find a link... if I do, I'll post it in another thread.

dukeENG2003
09-16-2010, 06:09 PM
IMO, its WEAK that she wasn't at the championship last year if she really "hopes one day to go to one". Whether she's on the team or not, if your team is in the FF and you have a chance to go (student tickets were only TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS) you should go. I couldn't afford to go since my ticket was over 10 times that, but found a way. WHAT IS SHE WAITING FOR?

I guess my criticism applies to all students who didn't go though. I don't understand it, especially with the lineup that was there against us. We were the FAVORITES!

watzone
09-16-2010, 07:08 PM
In pic #20, Katie shows she can palm a basketball (presumably a women's ball). If she can do that, maybe Coach P can find a place for her on the playing floor.

See--most guys can't do that with a men's ball--and we all know that if we could have, we'd have all been big stars. :D

Good for Katie -- nice pics and fun presentation.

Here is proof Katie was at the Final Four - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/05/more-of-watzones-monday-musings/

CameronBornAndBred
09-16-2010, 07:16 PM
Here is proof Katie was at the Final Four - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/05/more-of-watzones-monday-musings/

So when did they ask her? Maybe they should have asked for top three things on bucket list that you haven't done yet.

Jim3k
09-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Gosh -- now I'm confused.

From the SI link:
A big sports fan, Katie hopes to one day go to an NCAA men's basketball championship game.

Why would SI attribute that 'hope' to her if she had already been to this year's FF?

I'm sure she would have said she'd been there if she had. Presumably, she would want to go again and say that.

Is SI not to be trusted? (Oh, wait....)

Son of Jarhead
09-16-2010, 08:17 PM
I don't think that she is palming that ball at all. You can see all 4 fingers & thumb. I think it is either, as DukeUsul said, a high dribble action photo, or she has the ball cradled against her forearm.

On the SI Q&A... perhaps they left "again" off the end of her 'Bucket List... 2) Go to the NCAA men's basketball championship game'... she liked it so much she wants to do it again! (:confused: or they asked her these questions last March.)

Very nice pics... glad to see our cheerleaders getting some pub.:D

Suffolk5
10-08-2010, 08:09 AM
I know this is a bit past the time of relativity, but just found this site. Just wanted to let you know that the interviews for Cheerleader of the Week were done last fall near the end of football season. The only thing that SI updated was class year, so at the time of the interview we had not yet won the championship. I figure that it was a good case of foreshadowing. Maybe it will work for 2011 as well.

thenameisbond
10-08-2010, 09:22 AM
I know this is a bit past the time of relativity, but just found this site. Just wanted to let you know that the interviews for Cheerleader of the Week were done last fall near the end of football season. The only thing that SI updated was class year, so at the time of the interview we had not yet won the championship. I figure that it was a good case of foreshadowing. Maybe it will work for 2011 as well.

I like that thinking.