PDA

View Full Version : Sean Renfree appreciation thread

davekay1971
09-16-2010, 09:17 AM
This may be poor timing coming up on the Alabama game, where any quarterback would be likely to struggle. However...two games into the season we've already seen evidence that Sean Renfree is the real deal. He's just a sophomore, so we get this season and the next two to watch him develop. And there's every indication that's it's going to be a fun three years watching this guy. He's got the tools of a guy that could play on Sundays, and he's certainly got the coach to help him get there.

A clip from Heather Dinich's ACC blog on ESPN.com, referring to ACC players left off of Bruce Feldman's list of the 10 most exciting young players in college football...

"2. Sean Renfree. Eventually, he's going to be a special quarterback in the ACC. As long as the has the receivers (which he does), and the protection up front, Duke can put up points on anyone in the country (yes, even Alabama). Duke coach David Cutcliffe doesn't sugarcoat things, and he doesn't give credit where it's not deserved. He's already giving Renfree a lot of credit.

Cutcliffe: "With our quarterback, we're going to win a bunch of football games with our sophomore quarterback."
My take: Agreed. It's only a matter of time until the defense catches up."

One part of building a football program is getting stars that become household names and keep your program in the spotlight. Thad Lewis started to get that kind of recognition last year. Renfree is starting to get it already.

TruBlu
09-16-2010, 09:53 AM
IMHO, Renfree possibly has the most accurate arm that I have seen at Duke, and my days go back to Leo Hart (for you other old timers). I too am looking forward to his progression, because his beginning is impressive.

OldPhiKap
09-16-2010, 09:58 AM
This may be poor timing coming up on the Alabama game, where any quarterback would be likely to struggle. However...two games into the season we've already seen evidence that Sean Renfree is the real deal. He's just a sophomore, so we get this season and the next two to watch him develop. And there's every indication that's it's going to be a fun three years watching this guy. He's got the tools of a guy that could play on Sundays, and he's certainly got the coach to help him get there.

A clip from Heather Dinich's ACC blog on ESPN.com, referring to ACC players left off of Bruce Feldman's list of the 10 most exciting young players in college football...

"2. Sean Renfree. Eventually, he's going to be a special quarterback in the ACC. As long as the has the receivers (which he does), and the protection up front, Duke can put up points on anyone in the country (yes, even Alabama). Duke coach David Cutcliffe doesn't sugarcoat things, and he doesn't give credit where it's not deserved. He's already giving Renfree a lot of credit.

Cutcliffe: "With our quarterback, we're going to win a bunch of football games with our sophomore quarterback."
My take: Agreed. It's only a matter of time until the defense catches up."

One part of building a football program is getting stars that become household names and keep your program in the spotlight. Thad Lewis started to get that kind of recognition last year. Renfree is starting to get it already.

No, this is a perfect time to start it. I could not agree more. We are improving in all aspects of talent and depth, and this kid is clearly has the ability and coaches to develop into one of the best QB's in the country.

6th Man
09-16-2010, 10:01 AM
I would love it if Renfree could have a great game against Alabama. I think this would really propel him into the spotlight. He and Conner Vernon are going to be unbelievable by the time they are seniors. If any of you Duke fans are reading this and haven't been attending games, you are missing out on something special. Cutcliffe is working hard, the players are working hard, so we as fans need to work hard and get out there and support these guys. It may not be this year, but I am convinced special things will happen with our football program by the time Renfree, Vernon, and Scott are seniors.

mkline09
09-16-2010, 10:05 AM
I think it is interesting to point out that Renfree was the No. 4 ranked quarterback in his class. He originially had opted to go to Georgia Tech, but when Paul Johnson was hired he backed out and signed with Duke. He seems to have been forgotten by many of the same media that ranked him so high. Cutcliffe said he is extremely serious about his work ethic and spends hours in the film room. Kind of sounds like another QB Cutcliffe worked with named Peyton Manning.

Heather Dinich speaks highly of Renfree here:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/15057/acc-comes-up-empty-in-bruce-feldmans-latest-list

I believe he has the potential to be a great quarterback, although he is likely to fly under the radar much like Thad did because he plays at Duke. That all changes with a solid performance or win against Alabama though.

Battierfan01
09-16-2010, 11:37 AM
I would love it if Renfree could have a great game against Alabama. I think this would really propel him into the spotlight. He and Conner Vernon are going to be unbelievable by the time they are seniors. If any of you Duke fans are reading this and haven't been attending games, you are missing out on something special. Cutcliffe is working hard, the players are working hard, so we as fans need to work hard and get out there and support these guys. It may not be this year, but I am convinced special things will happen with our football program by the time Renfree, Vernon, and Scott are seniors.

I totally agree with your statement. Renfree and the receivers are so fun to watch. Renfree makes playing the QB position look so easy. I think this is because he spends so much time on the practice field and in the film room. I am so excited about this football team and what they are going to accomplish this year and in the future.

killerleft
09-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Dearest Sean:

I would appreciate it verily if you would throw for 600 yards against the Tuscaloosa Tusks. I will pay a lot for a small piece of ivory that I can carve into a little trinket that says, "Duke 41, Tidyrollers 37".

Thanks and more, your friend
killerleft

P.S. Say "hi" to Coach Cut for me!