PDA

View Full Version : J.J -Rising Star (NBA.com)

Battery
09-16-2010, 02:14 AM
Great article on nba.com about rising stars in the Association featuring (among others) our very own Jonathan Clay Redick. Hope the predictions are true and JJ has a healthy and stellar season

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/shaun_powell/08/30/rising.players/index.html

JasonEvans
09-16-2010, 08:17 AM
Nice find. I like the picture the article leads with--

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/2010/news/features/shaun_powell/08/30/rising.players/jj.jpg

I chuckled a bit at this line in the article --

It's no secret that Redick's biggest fan, after Coach K, is Stan Van Gundy, who showed plenty of confidence in Redick during the post-season by using him in big spots.

Ummm, those of us who watched Stan bury JJ on the bench for his first couple seasons in the association would beg to differ. If Stan is a fan now, it is largely because JJ has improved his game so much that it is simply impossible to ignore it at this point. Then again, perhaps Stan ignoring him is what caused JJ to work harder and improve to where he is now.

--Jason "the article also mentions Steph Curry as a breakout star -- as if he wasn't already!" Evans

Lord Ash
09-16-2010, 08:26 AM

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/2010/news/features/shaun_powell/08/30/rising.players/jj.jpg

Ummm, those of us who watched Stan bury JJ on the bench for his first couple seasons in the association would beg to differ. If Stan is a fan now, it is largely because JJ has improved his game so much that it is simply impossible to ignore it at this point. Then again, perhaps Stan ignoring him is what caused JJ to work harder and improve to where he is now.

--Jason "the article also mentions Steph Curry as a breakout star -- as if he wasn't already!" Evans

Amen... I was beginning to be driven crazy by that. A lot of Magic fans, however, have said they have found JJ has especially improved his D, to the point where he is one of the best guard defenders on the team.

JBDuke
09-16-2010, 08:36 AM
Great article on nba.com about rising stars in the Association featuring (among others) our very own Jonathan Clay Redick. Hope the predictions are true and JJ has a healthy and stellar season

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/shaun_powell/08/30/rising.players/index.html

On the same page is an embedded video of a press conference JJ held to discuss his summer. The best line was about his honeymoon: "We kept a blog, and we've talked to a publisher about releasing it. It oughtta come out at about the same time as the rap album." No real news in the presser, but JJ talks about the free agent flirtations with Chicago and Boston and his role in Orlando.

One of the best things I think Duke does for its players is coach them on how to deal with the media. JJ sure comes off as polished here, like he almost always does, and I attribute a lot of that to the Duke staff.

Billy Dat
09-16-2010, 10:01 AM
I heard Colangelo, in one of his post World Championships interviews, saying that they need to expand their pool of shooting guards. JJ was part of the USA Basketball pool after his senior year, perhaps an invite is forthcoming? This summer, since they won the World Championship, the senior national team will not have to play in a tournament. I am sure, and Colangelo has said as much, that they will hold some kind of week long camp in Vegas, like they did in 2009, where guys in the program will compete and "build equity". Here's hoping JJ gets an invite...something I am sure is a real possibility if he has a strong season. His defense has improved to the point where I think he's an ideal candidate.

Lord Ash
09-16-2010, 10:08 AM
I would love for JJ to make a US team. I would think that the very close-range 3 line in international play (which I believe is remaining?) would make JJ a doubly-nasty threat, as he could fire from WAY beyond the 3 and still be perfectly in range.

flyingdutchdevil
09-16-2010, 10:14 AM
A lot of Magic fans, however, have said they have found JJ has especially improved his D, to the point where he is one of the best guard defenders on the team.

Considering that Jameer Nelson and Vinsanity are guards on the team, I would think that I would be one of the better defenders on that team if given a roster spot.

But you're right, JJ's D is the difference between playing 41 games a year and playing 82 games a year as the first player off the bench.

gumbomoop
09-16-2010, 10:22 AM
I would love for JJ to make a US team. I would think that the very close-range 3 line in international play (which I believe is remaining?) would make JJ a doubly-nasty threat, as he could fire from WAY beyond the 3 and still be perfectly in range.

Moving back toward but not quite to NBA line as of 10/1/10. Still easy for JJ.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/news/story?id=3368944

hq2
09-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Examining Vince's decline curve and J.J.s improvement, I'd say J.J. starts by mid season.
They actually ought to play Vince some at small forward, but I'm not sure if he's any good there. Anyway, I'd say J.J. gets at least 25 minutes a game this year, if not more.

SilkyJ
09-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Examining Vince's decline curve and J.J.s improvement, I'd say J.J. starts by mid season.
They actually ought to play Vince some at small forward, but I'm not sure if he's any good there. Anyway, I'd say J.J. gets at least 25 minutes a game this year, if not more.

He got 22mpg last year, so I'd hope he's closer to 28-30mpg this year.

Battery
09-16-2010, 02:19 PM
J.J. will start when the Magic plays teams where a lot of screens are run for their SGs. In an interview with Bill Simmons last year, J.J himself mentioned that the reason he is a successful defender against teams like the Celtics for e.g is because the sets and screens that they run for Ray Allen are pretty much identical to Duke circa 2004-2006 when he was our main offensive weapon. That can be applied to many other SGs in the league (R. Hamilton comes to mind).

Given his work ethic (summer 2004 e.g) I'm willing to bet his on-the-ball isolation defense has improved dramatically this offseason. And with Duhon as backup point guard, the Duke family support can only help.

We're pulling for you JJ!

AZLA
09-16-2010, 04:04 PM

Well written, thank you from those of us who have been saying this all along. JJ had to suck it up, put his head down and work his butt off improving every aspect of his game not related to shooting.

In any other situation, I feel he would have already played much more. Basically, JJ had to make himself bulletproof to SVG's (and the previous Coach's) predisposition to always find or exaggerate more flaws in his game -- whether real or perceived.

Sooner or later, SVG had to face reality, JJ is one of the best pure shooters in the NBA with tremendous potential; he's a Magic fan favorite; and, now he's proven in the playoffs he can be scrappy and defend all star shooting guards. Granted, he's still a little small by NBA standards but his abilities far surpass any negatives.

I think everyone can agree, JJ has matured in a unique way and his ability to not be discouraged and sulk. It's examples like this that I believe represent values of the Duke program. Its also why I don't see JJ resting on his laurels and making the most of his opportunities -- perhaps emerging as a leader.

The only problem about that article is that it didn't include Jameer Nelson as having finally learned how to pass a basketball.

basket1544
09-17-2010, 07:32 AM
I think one of my favorite things that the Magic did this summer was getting Chris Duhon too. The Magic's backup backcourt is going to be incredible. If JJ starts doesn't really matter. What matters is how much playing time he sees and I think he'll be on the court more than Vince. Duhon can pass the ball far better/more than I've ever seen Jameer so I'd rather JJ and Duhon be on the court together.

Lord Ash
09-17-2010, 10:06 AM
The next time Jameer passes the ball to JJ will be the first.

Having watched the Magic a bit over the last few years and having kept up with them via forums, I often wonder why it seems some of the players tend to "freeze" JJ out. Are they just not very generous passers? Could it be possible there is still some Duke/Golden Child flashback?

gumbomoop
09-17-2010, 10:29 AM
The next time Jameer passes the ball to JJ will be the first.

Having watched the Magic a bit over the last few years and having kept up with them via forums, I often wonder why it seems some of the players tend to "freeze" JJ out. Are they just not very generous passers? Could it be possible there is still some Duke/Golden Child flashback?

Maybe the good news is that JJ's best friend on the court is Dwight Howard, for the very good reason that JJ is Dwight's best friend, in the sense that JJ is the most willing to make, and most capable of and most efficient at making a 45-degree-angle pass into Howard.

duke4life32182
09-17-2010, 10:34 AM
^ I've noticed that as well. Seems they are hesitantat getting him the ball. Bet that changes this year.

Duke: A Dynasty
09-23-2010, 10:25 PM
http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2010/8/20/1633024/jj-vc

seems like he just keeps gaining support from the fans