PDA

View Full Version : C-Well blast from the past

lmb
06-01-2007, 02:52 PM
For your reading pleasure on this sunny Friday afternoon -
I ran across this today (taken from the Main Page in 2000) and really enjoyed the memories that it brought. It was too long for one post, so part 2 will be coming soon. It's just too good to edit!

The Wit and Wisdom of Cwell! 3/03
Chris Carrawell has become famous for his willingness to say just whatever he thinks, so when a friend suggested, as a tribute to this remarkable guy, we gather his best quotes and put them together, we thought - what a great idea. It's funny, because we started it thinking that it would be humor more than anything else, but what we found out was that when you read them through, actually, it's just C-well telling the truth as he sees it.
Some of it is funny, like his baiting of Cota. Some of it's sad, like dealing with his Dad showing up out of the blue, for the first time in his life. Some of it's just plain brutally honest, like telling Jason it's time to grow up or that Duke can't be just a 3 point shooting team, or talking about the consequences of losing in East St. Louis when people have bet money on your winning instead. Some of these quotes are just classic, but all of them are interesting and revealing. They're in reverse chronological order, and since tomorrow is C-well's last day in Cameron, we wanted to put these up now, as a retrospective of a hall of fame quote machine. Enjoy, and thanks for talking so much, Chris. We'll miss you.
"As long as I had Battier out there, I figured we'd be ok. Two-on-five, I think we could have took them. Well, add Jason and make it three-on-five."
After this year's Wake game

"Whoever picked North Carolina to win the league, I'm sorry. It didn't happen this year. Probably next year. But we're still No. 1, baby. Still No.1."

''This was a total team effort. We wanted to put them away early. They were hanging around with us a little bit in the first half but we didn't want to play with the game. We've got to put teams like this away. We don't want them to think that they can play with us. Tonight we did a good job of taking them out in the first half and finishing it off in the second half."
After this year's Wake game

"The mentality is, we don't want to lose anymore."

"The big thing tonight was we kept our composure. This team has a lot of heart. Last year, we had a great team, but in the tough games, against Cincinnati and Connecticut, when it got tough, we lost. "But we've been in close games, tough games, and won. It's almost like we like them. It takes heart to win them."

''You've got to rank this in the top three Duke-Carolina games.Of course, I wasn't around in the '60s.''

"I don’t want to say (the ACC race) is over, but it’s over."

"He got his points in the second half. They didn't mean anything. The game was over."
Chris Carrawell on Will Solomon

"Stay four years and if everybody goes, you can be the man."

"Guts. We really had to fight. This was a playground kind of game, a bring-your- lunch-bucket kind of game. I've always wanted to be in this situation.''
Chris Carrawell on the overtime State game In Cameron this year

''It would have been good to go even at 1-1 on the road, but to win those two road games kind of gave us a confidence boost. We're just going to roll with it.''

''I'm usually good for one brick a game but that one shot my arm was hit and the chant wasn't fair. They got on me, to come up with some big shots at the end It was great.''
After the Maryland game

''I've been in every game situation, played against all the top players, been to the national championship game and Final Four and even was part of a team that lost a 17-point lead in a game leading to the Final Four. Even with all that, there's nothing like winning games in this league.''
Chris Carrawell, after the Maryland game

"We haven't lost an ACC game since Carolina beat us in the tournament my sophomore year."

"I didn't look at coming to a place like Duke like I was in a foreign land. 'These people don't know how to relate to me. I'm not going to involve myself with these people because they don't understand where I come from.' Nothing like that....It looked at it as, 'Hey, God bless. How many guys get an opportunity to come to a place where everybody likes each other? I don't have to watch my back now, coming down the street.' There was a sense of security. 'I know I can make it.' I didn't bring anything from the inner city except my talking, of course."

"I try to find the good in people. Skin color doesn't matter. Background doesn't matter. I like people.' I never look at race as an issue. If you're a nice person, that's who I want to be around."

"Richardson is a warrior. You are not going to stop him. He has an outside shot now, so what more can he need? I don't know what the matchup is going to be, but I definitely want to guard him. If he can score 30 on me then they deserve to win. That's how I look at it."
Chris Carrawell on Quentin Richardson

"You can't ice me. I was having cramps and I couldn't bend my legs on my shot like I usually do. The timeouts [Illinois called] gave me a chance to take a deep breath and compose myself."
Chris Carrawell on Lon Kruger's attempt to ice him at the end of the Illinois game

"I want to do what he does. When I saw him over there [at the Wooden Classic], I said, 'Man, that's Jerry West!' It was great to play, and play well, in front of him. He's a legend, and he's making his mark off the court as well. I'm old school, so I know a lot about his history."

"I learned from Jeff Capel, guys like that who paved the way for me. They showed me how to lead. How, in tough situations, you have to be strong. That's what I try to show the freshmen, trying to lead by example. It's important. We haven't had that in a long time at Duke. "

"I stayed up all night long. So by the time the team got up in the morning, I was the first one on the bus because I didn’t go to sleep.”
About losing to UConn in the Finals

"It's not high school," Carrawell said a few feet away from a tearful Williams. "In high school you can juke and do your thing, but here you've got to know when to do that, to pull up and to drive and dish. But he'll get it. He's so valuable to us. I don't want to be the point. I want to score."
After the New York games

"My teammates over here are teasing me, telling me Duke's going to hit rock bottom and I'm remembering that. I'm remembering that. Duke's not going to be [at the bottom], and I'm here to tell them and I'm going to show them that we're going to be back on top."

"I'm going to have to be more of a leader [at Duke], so I'm trying to talk out here, trying to be a leader among leaders. Any time I can do that, that's only going to help me for next year...these guys respect me and that's what it's all about. So I know if these guys respect me, I shouldn't have no problem with any freshman. If I've got the respect from the top guys in the country, I definitely think I can lead a little, bony freshman."

"I just think this is a great opportunity. There were a lot of great players here, you could have picked a lot of them to be in this group of 16. Obviously, the (Men's Collegiate Committee) felt that the 16 picked so far are the best to fit into the game plan. (Duke teammate) Shane Battier was here last year, and he told me to be sure that I came out here in shape and I thought I was in the best shape possible, considering the altitude. And Elton (Brand) told me to just play, and I took that and ran with it."
On the World University Games

"Oh God, it was ridiculous. But it paid off, it paid off. If you don't go rebound, it's pathetic. It was one of those things where we worked on the fundamentals of just blocking out."
C-well on practices after Coach K was unhappy with rebounding

"He's a freak. He was so high. He plays with so much energy. He was so high. Oh, he was so high. He was so high. Oh God, he was so high.''
C-well on a Maggette Dunk

"If there's going to be a sequel, I guess I'd call it Hey, I'm Going to Kill Jason.''
C-well, on Tropicana Field

"I don't see how you can dare him. If you dare anyone, I'd dare me. If they were going to dare me, OK. They might have a chance. "
C-well, on who to not guard outside (referring to Trajan)

"B. I wouldn't give it an A. It was more of the coach just making statements. He wasn't really getting in guys' faces or anything like that. It was more that it had to come from us. We knew we were flat. You could look at my face at halftime and see it. I was, like, just out of it. It wasn't one of his best.''
C-well rating Coach K At Halftime of the Southwest Missouri Game

lmb
06-01-2007, 03:14 PM
'They played harder than us. It seemed like they wanted it more. We won because we had more talent and our talent took over.''
Chris Carrawell

"No, no, it's a setup out there, people talking like that. I don't pay any attention to people giving us the ring already. That's all nonsense."
Junior year, about the suggestions that no one could beat Duke

"If Ruffin thought it was even, let's show him an even matchup."
C-well To Brand, After Hearing Ruffin's Opinion Of The Goodwill Competition between himself & Brand

"I'll definitely come back. I have no choice."
Chris Carrawell on whether he'll jump to the NBA.

''If I lost? Hey, you can't lose too many more times, that's all. That's how it is in my neighborhood, know what I'm saying?''
On playing for shoe money as a kid

"I wanted to [call him], but I figured he was getting prepared for that long trip to the West Coast. I knew he had to wake up early and get ready to travel."
Chris Carrawell on his desire to call Ed Cota to discuss Ed's comments on the Blue Devils.

"Be a real man, don't come around when I'm in the spotlight. I definitely feel that guys should be there. If you're man enough to create it, you should be man enough to stick it through."
After meeting his dad for the first time in Charlotte.

''And we did it without Trajan Langdon. How do you like that?''
On beating UNC

"How you doin', Ed? Nice game, Ed. What was the score, Ed?"
Chris Carrawell, after Ed Cota talked smack about Duke after three straight losses

"He's living in the past...we're the best team this year. Just admit it."
More on Cota

"I know the other teams in the ACC hate us. That's good; we hate them as well."
Chris Carrawell

"We're not pretty boys this year. Our attitude is, we're going to go get it."

"I said, 'What are you doing?' I said some other things I can't say. I told him it better not happen again or it's going to be payback, but we reacted in a good way, we reacted on the court."
After Clemson's Andreas Jurkunas took out Langdon on Senior Day

''I was mad that they broke our backboard, but I didn't shoot well on that rim anyway, so that didn't really matter.''
After a Wake Forest walk-on broke a Cameron backboard

"We didn't play well against Wake the first game. 'We've got to go out and show Wake who we really are. We didn't show them that in the first game, and they were in the game. We want to take it to Wake on Saturday.''

"Can you imagine coming from the background he comes from, to be at a school like Duke? And he's not an outcast. He's not a dud. He's not a dork. He's not a dipstick."
Linda Shannon, C-well's mom

"When I was coming to Duke, then I finally got the phone call: 'How you doing?' Some people probably wouldn't even speak to him, or it would be, 'Why are you calling me now? But I never looked at it harshly. I mean, I'm sorry it had to be that way, but my mom did a great job. And what if I would have had him? I don't know what kind of impact it would have had on my life."
Chris Carrawell, on his dad calling him for the first time, when he signed with Duke

"He wasn't the high school player of the year for taking charges".
Carrawell on Battier

"We haven't done anything yet. We've had the best start? Laettner's got two rings. We've still got a lot to accomplish"

"Maryland was supposed to be the team to compete with us in the league. But, hey, they're three games back. [And] Shane is the total package; he's Maryland killer."

"It'll be a relief when we beat Maryland. When we win that game, I can sit back and relax."

"I know he doesn't feel like he got shut down. But he did."
Chris Carrawell on Steve Francis

"Facing some of the best guys in college basketball doesn't seem that scary when you've seen some of the stuff I've seen growing up. I saw all types of gang fights. I remember getting beat up a little bit as a kid. "There's nothing bad about that; I don't downplay that or anything. Not everybody can come from the suburbs. Once I made it out of that tough part, this is easy. "Everybody's friendly here. I'm playing on one of the best teams in the country. This is fun. I know where it's bad. I don't want to go back there anymore."

"We're coming off a tough game. But we'll be ready for this one. I can't wait. They beat us two times last year. I'm looking forward to beating them all the time now.''
Chris Carrawell on The Heels

"They're definitely the best team we've played since Cincinnati. In order to play us, you've got to have a couple of pro players. They had two or three."
Chris Carrawell on St. John's

''Guys are wondering. Right now, it's not a good feeling.''
After Cincinnati

"By the time I got poked in the eye, we had the game sewed up. The way I look at it, I'm a soldier, and it's a war wound."

"I call him 'The Freak' because he's an unbelievable athlete, and because of all the stuff he can do in the air. When he plays like that, he not only gets the crowd in it, he gets us going, too."
Chris Carrawell on Corey Maggette

"I was heated; I'm still heated. I think it got ugly toward the end. Every time we play N.C. State, it's going to be one of those hard-fought, trash-talking games. I didn't like playing in today's game, but that's what you have to do."

"We can't allow teams to play with us. We allow teams to -- screw up, they get a couple of buckets and they start to feel 'Duke's not that tough,' (that) all that we do here is not really true."

"They're talented. They've got a lot of guys that are athletic. But you know, they haven't played us yet."
Chris Carrawell on the Terps

''They came in all rah-rah. We knocked them back. After that, there was no rah-rah.''

"I'm ready to get out of here, go to St. Pete, and get a little tan and try to win some games."
Before the UK game in Tropicana Field

"If we live and die by the three-point shot, we'll be going back to Durham pretty soon."

"I was trying to redeem myself."
Chris Carrawell, after Tech, about his UCLA game

''He did leave the game because he was kind of mental. Any time a crowd gets on that, it's not really good. You just want to leave it alone.''
On Loren Woods

dwater
06-01-2007, 04:23 PM
What's he doing professionally now? Sure would be noce to see him as an assistant coach for Duke. You know he loves the place.

Clipsfan
06-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Reading those quotes bring back a lot of good memories from my time at Duke, thanks for posting them!

VaDukie
06-01-2007, 07:59 PM
I still don't understand how he didn't have a career in the nba. Solid defender, good slashing to the basket, good jump shot, hard worker - what went wrong?

lmb
06-01-2007, 09:18 PM
I still don't understand how he didn't have a career in the nba. Solid defender, good slashing to the basket, good jump shot, hard worker - what went wrong?

IIRC, he went in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft to the Spurs. Apparently he felt he should have gone much higher and allowed his attitude to affect his performance. He never made the roster and then he went to play somewhere overseas.

throatybeard
06-01-2007, 11:48 PM
He went in the 2nd round, I want to say 41st. There is no third round and hasn't been for a long time.

ACCHoopsFan1
06-02-2007, 09:15 PM
I just find it hard to believe it's been seven years since the last team C-well was on. That seems absurd to me. Seven freakin years. That 2000 team is one of my all-time favorite teams. I just never imagined they could lose the type of firepower they did and come back and go 29-5 and dominate the conference.

I still remember the UNC talking point from the old Dave Chen THT days of that time. Their favorite word was "meltdown", which they used a lot of the off season because of all the player losses as well as Quin leaving and K having surgery. Culminating with the 0-2 start in November in NY.... And then 18 straight wins followed. LOL.

Exiled_Devil
06-02-2007, 09:53 PM
IIRC, he went in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft to the Spurs. Apparently he felt he should have gone much higher and allowed his attitude to affect his performance. He never made the roster and then he went to play somewhere overseas.

That does not sound like C-Well. I had a chance to get to know him through some work with the basketball program couple of years ago (2004) and he is an incredible humble, had-working guy. I think it was likely that he just didn't make the roster when he came out, and then he played over in Europe and Australia. In '04 when I met him, he had a recent abdominal injury that kept him off a roster for a season. In '05, I think he went back to Australia for a while. I haven't heard where he is playing now, but I do know he was engaged last summer to a woman here in Durham.

C-Well is a great guy. He is making a living playing b-ball, and I can't think of anyone more deserving.

Exied

Lord Ash
06-02-2007, 11:56 PM
I must say, as much as I loved Chris, he had almost the most awkward dribble of any Dukie I've seen! My friends and I used to watch him, with the ball way out to the outside of his dribble and that other hand in guarding it, and just shake our heads in wonder. Anyone else remember that?

Exiled_Devil
06-03-2007, 10:16 AM
I must say, as much as I loved Chris, he had almost the most awkward dribble of any Dukie I've seen! My friends and I used to watch him, with the ball way out to the outside of his dribble and that other hand in guarding it, and just shake our heads in wonder. Anyone else remember that?

My wife would always get nervous whenever C-Well dribbled. She called it 'the edge of chaos'

Exiled

ACCHoopsFan1
06-04-2007, 04:14 PM
My wife would always get nervous whenever C-Well dribbled. She called it 'the edge of chaos'

Exiled

Oh that's a piece of cake. Chaos is when Duke is in the delay and DeMarcus Nelson has the ball lol.

77devil
06-04-2007, 04:41 PM
What's he doing professionally now? Sure would be noce to see him as an assistant coach for Duke. You know he loves the place.

Did he ever come back and graduate?

billybreen
06-04-2007, 05:10 PM
CWell is the man, but as a resident of Bassett Hall in 96-97, I can speak from firsthand experience of his utter lack of ping pong game. Great reach, but not much else.

captmojo
06-04-2007, 06:38 PM
Chris may have had adventures with his ballhandling but I've yet to see any one who could consistently dribble upside down like Ed Cota and never get called for palming.

dukestheheat
06-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Lord Ash,

yes, i remember his awkward dribble, and the palm of the ball, but mostly i remember those bank shots and the shots he'd pull 'out of his rear-end' to get duke over a hump or give us an edge.

c-well was a total warrior for duke, and man i miss him.

he brought such a swagger to our team, a confidence, and his playground toughness helped us so much.

i was in cameron that night we went to overtime with state, and we slapped hands as he was running off the court after we'd won, and he seemed happy but also totally relieved. it was then, when i was standing next to him, that i noticed just how large his feet were and i thought how tough it'd be to have to guard him.

what a great player and a clutch player, and i hope we can develop someone like that for duke (henderson?).

we need a warrior.

dth.

alteran
06-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the blast!

NovaScotian
06-26-2007, 11:50 AM
I haven't been a Duke fan for very long (I'm just a senior this year) and I've been trying to learn all I can about Duke's history so I figured this is the place to ask:

I've seen Chris Carrawell play on espn classic, and he was awesome. He was ACC POY in 2000. He was drafted in the second round, right? What is the knock on him professionally, that he hasn't played a game in the nba? Is it a matter of not getting a contract and then giving up on the NBA altogether, like what happened with Trajan after he left Cleveland? Is that even what happened to Trajan?

thanks, fellas. this is one hell of a board youve got here.

cspan37421
06-26-2007, 12:39 PM
IMO, and IIRC, Chris benefited from lots of early departures. He stayed 4 years and was thus by default the most experienced and he put up good numbers - but he wouldn't have been a standout if he faced other 4-yr competition. He was a good player that appeared great due to attrition. You can run the stats on his numbers. I don't think he was more than a capable ball-handler. Not in the same league as a JWilliams or Hurley, or even Avery, neither in speed or sure-handedness with the ball.

There are many players who don't excel at the NBA level even after being ACC-POY great in college. I was stunned that Randolph Childress of WFU didn't excel in the NBA, after seeing him hang some 40-pt games in the ACC Tourney and against solid competition.

For whatever reason Trajan didn't shine with the Cavs. I remember him barely getting PT and then giong off for 31 or so and hitting about 90% of his 3s in a game. But then back to the bench. Not sure why. Maybe he couldn't defend well enough. Maybe the NBA 3 was too far. Maybe no one set screens for him. I don't know.

And IIRC even Tommy Amaker never played a game in the NBA, though he was drafted. Yet Marty Nessley - a vastly less capable player, but over a foot taller - did get half a season in with the Clippers and scored some NBA points. It's supply and demand, I guess. Go figure.

cspan

ps your "benchpaulus" name is rather unkind. I don't think the last chapter has been written on Greg Paulus and if he ever enjoys an injury-free season, he might surprise you. No point in getting down on him now, while you still depend on him.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-26-2007, 01:39 PM
ps your "benchpaulus" name is rather unkind. I don't think the last chapter has been written on Greg Paulus and if he ever enjoys an injury-free season, he might surprise you. No point in getting down on him now, while you still depend on him.

I strongly suggest that you retire your screen name after one post and choose something less derorgatory. Else you will be labeled a troll and roundly riduculed, including by me, and hopefully banned by the moderators. On the otherhand, you can express questions or negative thoughts on any of our players, as long as you can back them up with facts. After all, none of them are perfect.

Welcome to the board.

NovaScotian
06-26-2007, 04:22 PM
thanks for you detailed response cspan, i appreciate your helping me out. it is pretty strange to see how sometimes peripheral college stars can either fade or made great livings on the next level.

with regards to my name, i understand where you're coming from, but frankly i'd rather not change it. i am of course a duke fan above all (st.johns a distant second), but i think i represent a decent number of duke fans by expressing my frustration with greg. although i think he is a great on court leader, vocally and otherwise, i dont feel his skills are of any value to the team other than his spot up three point shooting. hes incredibly slow, hasnt demonstrated a great deal of court vision (leading the acc in assists is much easier with jj coming off mad screens and shelden being a true force down low) and is a horrible horrible defender (something k basically admitted last year by having dave essentially double team faster point guards). although we didnt get to see much of scheyer at the point last year, i think he could work out incredibly well if he was given time to settle in, just like daniel (an incredibly similar player) did three years ago.

sorry to go a little long on this. i havent read all the memoranda but i would imagine a tangent this long about paulus on a thread about chris carrawell probably isnt welcome, especially one of this nature.

i apologize for having such a "derorgatory" handle, but i dont actually hate greg; i just think we would be a much better team if he was in a suit holding a clipboard. with regards to changing it; do i really have to?

cspan37421
06-27-2007, 08:25 AM
i just think we would be a much better team if he was in a suit holding a clipboard.

I'm content with Mike Krzyzewski making that judgment. Not that I haven't second guessed him in certain situations - like calling a timeout for the last possession of the title game in '99 - but w/r/t personnel, I'm sure he puts his best starting 5 out there.