PDA

View Full Version : Buying/Selling tickets on campus before games

killerleft
09-13-2010, 03:20 PM
It appears that the Alabama fans buying up Duke season tickets to see only their game against Duke has prompted a change in policy regarding the selling and buying of previously-bought tickets by Duke.

At the Elon game, I was prevented from selling my extra ticket anywhere near the gate. I was even accused of scalping by one gentleman for trying to unload the ticket at well under face value., I was told that no one would be able to sell tickets anywhere on Duke property before the game. It was suggested that only on roads or intersections not owned by Duke would the selling of tickets be permitted.

Did anybody else experience this? Does anyone know more about the situation? I've never heard of anything like this policy being enforced at any other venue at any level. I know scalping is considered illegal in North Carolina, but was kinda surprised to be stopped from doing what would seem to be a legal transaction.:confused:

DukeUsul
09-13-2010, 03:58 PM
It was always my understanding that NC law allowed resale of tix for face value with up to a $3 service charge. It's interesting that Duke may have changed policy to prohibit something perfectly legal in the state (selling for face or under value).

uh_no
09-13-2010, 04:28 PM
It was always my understanding that NC law allowed resale of tix for face value with up to a $3 service charge. It's interesting that Duke may have changed policy to prohibit something perfectly legal in the state (selling for face or under value).

its probably because if duke can stop people from selling extra tix, it means that people then have to buy a real ticket from duke.....=profit

DukeDude
09-13-2010, 04:43 PM
This policy enforcement may have been special for the Elon game where I think they were giving free tickets to employees from a tent on the other side of Card gym. They didn't want to see 200 employees blocking the entrances while trying to sell tickets.

uh_no
09-13-2010, 05:00 PM
This policy enforcement may have been special for the Elon game where I think they were giving free tickets to employees from a tent on the other side of Card gym. They didn't want to see 200 employees blocking the entrances while trying to sell tickets.

that's a more generous explanation. It will be interesting to see what the policy will be both this saturday and at later home games.....especially ones that are not presently sold out

4decadedukie
09-13-2010, 09:16 PM

Obviously, state statues also allow a private property owner (such as Duke University) to restrict activities on their land.

Kimist
09-13-2010, 10:30 PM
There is no "new" policy at all by the Duke folks.

Duke has always had its own rules re ticket resales. Private property - end of story.

Please read my related post from last year on the "Ticket Exchange" board. Things can get really complicated if an Iron Dukes member sells a basketball ticket, even at face value or lower.

Excerpt: At a recent home football game, I saw the campus cops almost arrest an older gentleman for attempting to sell his $40 football tickets for $10 each. He was a bit irate and said something to them like "where are you guys when someone is here scalping basketball tickets for $500 each?!?"

k

CameronBornAndBred
09-13-2010, 10:52 PM

Duke has always had its own rules re ticket resales. Private property - end of story.

Please read my related post from last year on the "Ticket Exchange" board. Things can get really complicated if an Iron Dukes member sells a basketball ticket, even at face value or lower.

Excerpt: At a recent home football game, I saw the campus cops almost arrest an older gentleman for attempting to sell his $40 football tickets for $10 each. He was a bit irate and said something to them like "where are you guys when someone is here scalping basketball tickets for $500 each?!?"

k
I've tried biting my tongue, but I can't do it. 1st off, I think that Schwarz was onto something about them not wanting the employess to take advantage of a situation. But beyond the Elon game (and the first of any season, employee day), you can't tell me that the same scalpers aren't present for EVERY Duke game...football and basketball included. These guys are also at the heels game. I've been to enough to recognize faces..and they are blatant. As far as I know they are never prosecuted, or even discouraged..it's like an old school Grateful Dead show where folks would walk around the parking lot shouting out what drugs they had for sale. The cops turned a blind eye. Same with the scalpers at Duke...and at the other local schools. It's a business and someone is making some good cash from it. They show up with aprons with pockets! One pocket has cash, the other pocket has tickets. Those same guys will be there for Alabama..guaranteed..and nobody will say anything.

killerleft
09-13-2010, 10:58 PM
Obviously, state statues also allow a private property owner (such as Duke University) to restrict activities on their land.

That's correct, of course.

Duke does, however, rely on the local citizenry to fill up its football stadium. Which means that not all people who go to Duke games can afford a $30 ticket per family member. These walk-ups have for years relied on a cheap re-sell ticket to be able to watch Duke football.

With all of the tickets that will be floating around for the rest of the year, Duke is fighting a losing battle anyway. Why make folks mad? Duke is still a long way from selling out a season's worth of football tickets.

At the very least Duke can educate the people they hire to enforce rules. I was treated rudely by someone representing Duke University who was obviously not armed with the information he needed to do his job.

Kimist
09-13-2010, 11:17 PM
I've tried biting my tongue, but I can't do it. 1st off, I think that Schwarz was onto something about them not wanting the employess to take advantage of a situation.... .

You may well be onto an additional factor with the "employee" free tix issues for the opening game, but the Duke resale ban extends to all games. In recent seasons there were a lot of "family zone" tickets that got recycled/misused/misrepresented.

I know virtually all of the scalpers by face - and their cute signs - as you noted they are always there for the basketball games. They know where to stand, or as in the case of the gentleman I previously cited, where not to stand!

I guess Duke picks its rules to enforce. Attempting to walk into Wally Wade with a bottle of water in your hand on a hot day represents contraband smuggling. OTOH, leave game at halftime, get drunk(er) as a skunk, and no one seems to care when you do return. Wanna bring in those huge golf umbrellas on a rainy day - blocking everyone's view behind you and "draining" on them - no problem!!

Sorry for the mini-rant.

k

uh_no
09-13-2010, 11:19 PM
That's correct, of course.

Duke does, however, rely on the local citizenry to fill up its football stadium. Which means that not all people who go to Duke games can afford a $30 ticket per family member. These walk-ups have for years relied on a cheap re-sell ticket to be able to watch Duke football.

With all of the tickets that will be floating around for the rest of the year, Duke is fighting a losing battle anyway. Why make folks mad? Duke is still a long way from selling out a season's worth of football tickets.

At the very least Duke can educate the people they hire to enforce rules. I was treated rudely by someone representing Duke University who was obviously not armed with the information he needed to do his job.

Perhaps the best solution is to email the folks in the athletic department and let them know how you were treated, and how this rude treatment will discourage you from attending future blue devil events.....then make suggestions on how they can make it better: ie posting the policies and educating people in general

killerleft
09-13-2010, 11:22 PM

k

Regarding your excerpt, kimist: a $500 scalped ticket to games that are always sold out
makes the price of season tickets (donation plus ticket prices) look good and costs Duke nothing. Someone at Duke has decided that not scalping the tickets make Football look bad, and theoretically Duke loses money. As always, there is no principle involved at all. Money talks.

This year MAY be the rare exception with the season ticket buys made by Alabamians, but I think most years the loss of good will caused by this policy hurts Duke in the long run.

Kimist
09-14-2010, 12:46 AM
Regarding your excerpt, kimist: a $500 scalped ticket to games that are always sold out makes the price of season tickets (donation plus ticket prices) look good and costs Duke nothing. Someone at Duke has decided that not scalping the tickets make Football look bad, and theoretically Duke loses money. As always, there is no principle involved at all. Money talks.

This year MAY be the rare exception with the season ticket buys made by Alabamians, but I think most years the loss of good will caused by this policy hurts Duke in the long run.

Perhaps I did not make my points well enough.

This policy against any resale of football tickets is NOT new to the current season. The policy against the resale of basketball tickets, whether above OR below OR even at face value, is also not new.

How/where/when Duke chooses to enforce said policy is a different matter.

The way you were apparently treated is no different from the way the gentleman I referenced was treated over a year ago.

I agree that the rule could potentially be a negative to Duke. In recent (lean) years I have bought more season football tickets than I sometimes need, just to have them available for family members whose nearness to Durham can be unpredictable. I personally had no philosophical problem with an infrequent sale of some unused tickets at face or far below same. More than once I saw someone and asked does the child need a ticket - and then (s)he did for gratis. But in the future I may just buy the "minimum" ahead of time to simplify things and avoid the ire of the campus police.

And as you noted, for some locals who may not even consider attending a game unless they have a reasonable chance of procuring such reduced price tickets, the good will issue can come into play. I go to the game with extra tickets in my pocket, and someone else does not go to the game at all. I would describe that as a lose/lose scenario.

k