PDA

View Full Version : New TV Season

JasonEvans
09-13-2010, 07:27 AM
So, what shows are folks jazzed to check out this year? I don't think there is anything as hyped as FlashForward was last year. Then again, hype proved to be meaningless because FFWd mostly sucked and was gone after one disappointing season.

--Jason "gotta decide what I am gonna add to the TIVO in the next few days" Evans

OZZIE4DUKE
09-13-2010, 08:03 AM
So, what shows are folks jazzed to check out this year? I don't think there is anything as hyped as FlashForward was last year. Then again, hype proved to be meaningless because FFWd mostly sucked and was gone after one disappointing season.

--Jason "gotta decide what I am gonna add to the TIVO in the next few days" Evans
Did they ever resolve FFWd? I remember sort of watching what I thought was the last episode but I think I blacked out during it...

bjornolf
09-13-2010, 08:52 AM
My wife wants to see Nikita, cause she's been heartbroken since Alias went off, and some critics are drawing comparisons. She's also excited about Hawaii Five-O cause she loves Alex O'Loughlin.

I enjoyed the first episode of Terriers, but then I'm a big DL fan. I also like Tom Selleck, so I'm gonna give Blue Bloods a shot. And I like Belushi and O'Connell, so I'll give The Defenders a look.

Not sure about "The Event". I'll give it a look, but I don't think it'll replace Lost.

DUKIECB
09-13-2010, 08:55 AM
I'm intrigued by NBC's The Event. It's supposed to be a little on the sci-fi side and may fill a little of the Lost void from what I've heard. Probably will give it a shot.

Lonestar is getting quite a bit of pub but I'm not sure if I'm all that interested. Seems a little to soap opera for me.

Probably will give Undercovers a shot only because Abrams is behind it but I've got to say it doesn't look as promising as some of his past endeavors.

I think I'll give Detroit 1-8-7 seven a shot. Another cop show but what can I say, I'm a sucker for cop shows.

New comedy looks a little weak this year. Mike and Molly looks O.K., $#&! My Dad Says might be all right, and if you liked My Name is Earl you may like Raising Hope.

In my opinion, nothing really stands out although I'm hoping The Event will surprise.

JasonEvans
09-13-2010, 09:04 AM
I'm intrigued by NBC's The Event. It's supposed to be a little on the sci-fi side and may fill a little of the Lost void from what I've heard. Probably will give it a shot.

I would like another mysterious sci-fi show to succeed, but the recent history of this genre on TV is not good.

1) Lost was great, but ended very poorly
2) Heroes started with promise for maybe a half-dozen episodes but ended up sucking
3) FFwd (see Heroes, but the promise only lasted about 2 or 3 episodes)
4) V is just blaah and still may fall prey to the "ends poorly" problem

I am understandably gun-shy. Fringe is the lone recent exception, I must say. Though I tire a bit of the "monster of the week" episodes and was getting frustrated for a while when the main story was going nowhere (something they certainly took care of at the end of last season-- WOW!). Still, there are precious few successes in this genre and I fear The Event (which appears to have large scope, a bad sign if you ask me) will disappoint too.

--Jason "am I missing any? Dollhouse was in this genre, right? I never caught that show" Evans

snowdenscold
09-13-2010, 09:25 AM
I would like another mysterious sci-fi show to succeed, but the recent history of this genre on TV is not good.

2) Heroes started with promise for maybe a half-dozen episodes but ended up sucking

I am understandably gun-shy. Fringe is the lone recent exception, I must say. Though I tire a bit of the "monster of the week" episodes and was getting frustrated for a while when the main story was going nowhere (something they certainly took care of at the end of last season-- WOW!). Still, there are precious few successes in this genre and I fear The Event (which appears to have large scope, a bad sign if you ask me) will disappoint too.

--Jason "am I missing any? Dollhouse was in this genre, right? I never caught that show" Evans

Firefly was great but they killed it after about 13 episodes? Does that count?

Thankfully they at least let them make a movie to wrap up most of the mysteries/loose-ends.

HaveFunExpectToWin
09-13-2010, 10:31 AM
I'm looking forward to the second set of Wallander (http://mythbusters.tvsquad.com/2010/09/10/new-pbs-masterpiece-fall-dramas-coming-soon/)shows on PBS. If you missed the first 3 episodes of the miniseries, I definitely recommend them. Kenneth Branagh is quite good in these, playing the Swedish detective from the Henning Mankell series.

hurleyfor3
09-13-2010, 11:11 AM
My wife wants to see Nikita, cause she's been heartbroken since Alias went off, and some critics are drawing comparisons.

Oh, so it'll be a decent show the first year and then get unbelievably stupid?

InSpades
09-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Boardwalk Empire (on HBO) looks very interesting. I've found myself more and more interested in series on pay TV of late. Dexter is amazing. True Blood is decent. Weeds was really good for a while. I still kind of watch Entourage (season finale last night was pretty good). Anyway... Martin Scorsese directed the 1st episode and is heavily involved. Steve Buscemi is the main character (can't really go wrong there). Season Premeir is next sunday I think. For those who haven't seen... it's basically about corruption in prohibition era Atlantic City.

bjornolf
09-13-2010, 02:09 PM

I don't know if it will last, but I've kind of enjoyed "Haven" on SciFi. It's a Stephen King thing, and it's that kind of show.

bjornolf
09-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Boardwalk Empire (on HBO) looks very interesting. I've found myself more and more interested in series on pay TV of late. Dexter is amazing. True Blood is decent. Weeds was really good for a while. I still kind of watch Entourage (season finale last night was pretty good). Anyway... Martin Scorsese directed the 1st episode and is heavily involved. Steve Buscemi is the main character (can't really go wrong there). Season Premeir is next sunday I think. For those who haven't seen... it's basically about corruption in prohibition era Atlantic City.

I would LOVE to see Boardwalk Empire, but I don't get HBO. Maybe I'll see it on DVD, like TrueBlood.

DukeBlueNV
09-13-2010, 05:54 PM
Shows to watch:
Boardwalk Empire -The next Sopranos?
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia -Season 1-3 were great! Last few were okay still worth watching
How I Met Your Mother -Starting to jump the shark still good though
Eastbound and Down -Season 1 was AMAZING! MUST WATCH!!
The Office -Jumped the shark but still cant stop watching
30 Rock -Funniest show on TV... hands down
Community -Give it a chance... it's pretty good
The Walking Dead -AMC doing a show about zombies... I'm in
Running Wilde -Will Arnett reunites with the producers of Arrested Development. Worked well the first time so I'm giving it a shot.

Udaman
09-13-2010, 08:11 PM
First - returning shows we will definitely watch

How I Met Your Mother (drifted last year, but we're still in)
Glee (love it)
Survivor (will be impossible to follow Heroes v Villians)
Modern Family (2nd best show on TV)
Big Bang Theory (3rd best show on TV)
30 Rock (best show on TV)
The Office (we stopped watching last year...but will watch again)

Next - new shows we will start watching

Hawaii Five-0 (wife is very skeptical)
The Event (ditto)
Lone Star (good reviews...but I don't see how they make a season out of it)
No Ordinary Family (surprised this isn't getting better reviews, I think it will last)
Outsourced (might be like the Caveman thing...one trick pony)

Next - returning show we will give a try

Parenthood (taping tomorrow)

Finally - shows that will not make it

Cougar Town (can't believe this show made it. I think the writing is laughable, and the story lines even worse. There are a few OK actors in it...but, overall it's just bad. This is especially true when you watch it right after Modern Family, which has some of the best writers on TV. SPOILER for next year...one episode is apparently about them tricking their neighbor to do chores for them by letting them think their baby has died. Sorry - but that's just not funny. And the fact that you never see the baby, and they are always over and drinking and hanging out without the baby....it's just really awfu. OK, rant over)

S#$T my Dad Says....previews just don't do anything for me. Though we'll probably watch an episode or 2 just because we liked the blog.

Finally - very excited for Dexter and Breaking Bad (which is the best drama on TV, by far).

alteran
09-13-2010, 09:39 PM

Thankfully they at least let them make a movie to wrap up most of the mysteries/loose-ends.

"Let them" had nothing to do with it, FWIW. Fox had the series rights but NOT the movie rights. Whedon wanted to shop it to other networks, and Fox wouldn't sell. Fox didn't want to make the series, didn't want to sell the series-- how lame is that?

So Whedon decided to do an end run by making the movie.

snowdenscold
09-13-2010, 10:09 PM
"Let them" had nothing to do with it, FWIW. Fox had the series rights but NOT the movie rights. Whedon wanted to shop it to other networks, and Fox wouldn't sell. Fox didn't want to make the series, didn't want to sell the series-- how lame is that?

So Whedon decided to do an end run by making the movie.

Yeah, I know - I was condensing history quite a bit. The people who "let them" (i.e. approved the budget for the film) was not Fox. I was more referring to general powers-that-be in Hollywood.

Kimist
09-13-2010, 10:37 PM
You gotta add "Mad Men" on AMC to the list. Now in its 4th season, the writing and acting are both superb. It is a great look backward into the 60's. The show has collected many Emmys with more definitely to come.

"Rubicon" is now also picking up some steam, after a very slow start.

k

darthur
09-13-2010, 11:30 PM
It's not coming out until the spring but I'm really excited about the Game of Thrones on HBO.

Mal
09-14-2010, 11:43 AM
The more Boardwalk Empire promos I see, the more excited I am for it. Hopefully it's not just The Sopranos set 70 years earlier, but I like Scorcese's involvement.

Also fired up for the return of Modern Family, which I think has taken over as the best comedy on TV, which is pretty amazing for a show that's been on for just one season. It really hit the ground running. 30 Rock hasn't been as good the last season or two, and nothing else is in the same league these days.

I'll second Kimist's rec on Rubicon. It's gotten pretty good, and the writers seem to have an idea where it's supposed to be going.

Also, for those of you with HBO, if you haven't checked out Bored to Death, the new season for that is starting soon, too. Definitely worth catching up on. Zach Galifianakis is his typical bizarre-but-doesn't-know-it funny self, and Jason Schwartzman's pretty good, but IMHO Ted Danson steals every episode and has become the star of the show.

NashvilleDevil
09-14-2010, 01:06 PM
You gotta add "Mad Men" on AMC to the list. Now in its 4th season, the writing and acting are both superb. It is a great look backward into the 60's. The show has collected many Emmys with more definitely to come.

"Rubicon" is now also picking up some steam, after a very slow start.

k

I second Mad Men. Season 4 has been great probably the best of the four seasons. Surprised that the board does not have a Mad Men thread.

Blue in the Face
09-14-2010, 06:33 PM
It's not coming out until the spring but I'm really excited about the Game of Thrones on HBO.
I recently read the first book, and really enjoyed it. I'll keep reading them, though I'm a little wary of getting sucked into the entire series, since it sounds dubious as to whether or not he'll ever finish it. But so far it's a hell of a story that I want to keep going with.

A-Tex Devil
09-14-2010, 06:39 PM

Sepinwall just wrote up articles on each episode and the movie at hitfix.com. Very entertaining reads. I watched the movie on a whim first and loved it. Then saw the show and regretted not seeing it in the correct order.

A-Tex Devil
09-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Cougar Town (can't believe this show made it. I think the writing is laughable, and the story lines even worse. There are a few OK actors in it...but, overall it's just bad. This is especially true when you watch it right after Modern Family, which has some of the best writers on TV. SPOILER for next year...one episode is apparently about them tricking their neighbor to do chores for them by letting them think their baby has died. Sorry - but that's just not funny. And the fact that you never see the baby, and they are always over and drinking and hanging out without the baby....it's just really awfu. OK, rant over)

Did you stick with this show? It made one of the best in-season comebacks I have ever witnessed. The first 4-6 episodes were tough, but now I am not even ashamed to admit I like it. It should have changed its title, but c'est la vie.

A-Tex Devil
09-14-2010, 06:43 PM
I tried to start a thread on this and it clearly isn't thread worthy, but works here. If you like edgy TV shows like The Shield, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, etc. you need to hop on that hog and watch Sons of Anarchy. Ep 1 of Season 3 was last week and Ep 2 was tonight. May be hard to just jump in, but it's worth it.

Always Sunny and the League (another show that got better as season went along) start on Thursday!!

Jarhead
09-14-2010, 08:37 PM
After reading all about the new season I can't help but wonder. Has the shark already been jumped by the new ones? It looks like we'll settle for a set of shows that have been coming up on cable channels-- things like Burn Notice, White collar, Royal Pains, and Covert Affairs. Probably not award winners, but they are entertaining with interesting characters.

The networks do have a few carryovers that we'll watch with Castle being at the top of our preferential list. I still like the Law&Order package, but don't know about the new one. For the most part, though, our 47" liquid crystal array will be showing sports and NetFlix. Oh, forgot. We still have Flash Forward scheduled on our DVR. just in case.
One question about Lone Star. Who has the JR role?http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/icon_tease.gif

bjornolf
09-15-2010, 07:45 AM
I recently read the first book, and really enjoyed it. I'll keep reading them, though I'm a little wary of getting sucked into the entire series, since it sounds dubious as to whether or not he'll ever finish it. But so far it's a hell of a story that I want to keep going with.

Try being one of his fans who finished the last one right after it came out. He drives us NUTS. Finish the next one, for the love of God, man! My dad is one of his biggest fans, and at this rate, he's not gonna live long enough to read it! And he's not THAT old.

bjornolf
09-15-2010, 07:47 AM
It looks like we'll settle for a set of shows that have been coming up on cable channels-- things like Burn Notice, White collar, Royal Pains, and Covert Affairs. Probably not award winners, but they are entertaining with interesting characters.

I LOVE Burn Notice! What a great show.

NashvilleDevil
09-15-2010, 03:54 PM
I have not searched the board to see if this has been mentioned (I'm sure it has) but the actor who plays Lane Pryce on Mad Men is Jared Harris an '84 Duke graduate and the son of Richard Harris.

kmspeaks
09-15-2010, 10:51 PM

I love those books!! I didn't even know they were making a show but that's awesome thanks for the info.

jimmymax
09-15-2010, 11:23 PM
I'll never be a slave to any TV show but the DVR has changed things...

Loving "The Closer" (personal connection) but jonesing for new seasons of "Breaking Bad","Treme" and "Top Gear" with a sprinkling of "Modern Family" and "Community" for fun. Have a bad feeling the latter is going to suck in season 2 despite Duke's Senor Chang, Spanish genius.

Reisen
09-16-2010, 12:21 AM
James Weir, an 02 grad who was in my freshman dorm at Duke, is on this season's Apprentice.

Kimist
09-16-2010, 01:39 AM
I have not searched the board to see if this has been mentioned (I'm sure it has) but the actor who plays Lane Pryce on Mad Men is Jared Harris an '84 Duke graduate and the son of Richard Harris.

I did not know that! Thanks for the heads up.

"Harris was born in London and is the son of famed Irish actor Richard Harris. He attended North Carolina’s Duke University, where he majored in drama and literature and after graduation, studied at the Central School of Speech and Drama in London."

k

CrazyNotCrazie
09-16-2010, 05:55 AM
I think Boardwalk Empire could be the talk of this season - it looks really impressive. On a completely different note, I became a big fan of Parenthood on NBC last season - it really seemed to hit home for some reason. I haven't watched my recording of the season 2 premiere yet. I just worry about the size of its following, and that it will have trouble attracting new viewers as the cast is quite big so some of the family dynamics that are so critical to appreciating the show are initially a bit tough to absorb.

Lord Ash
09-23-2010, 04:50 PM
Too early to discuss TV yet?

Gotta say, did NOT like "Running Wilde." Honestly, after watching the first episode, we had no interest in watching another, even though both the wife and I find Will Arnett to be very, very funny.

I don't know about you guys, but I found "Modern Family" to be very... well, formulaic and a bit trite. Before it even happened you knew that Phil was going to do something about time machine and the car, and the Manny/Mom storyline was just empty and pointless (although watching Sophia mix chocolate milk was a damned highlight... animated GIF, please!) Overall I thought it was a REAL let down of an episode.

The wife enjoyed "Raising Hope" and felt it had a very "Earl" vibe, but wasn't 100 percent sure she'd stick with it.

Thoughts so far? Personally looking forward to "Fringe" and "Hell's Kitchen" (so soon, too!) I will REALLY miss "Parks and Rec" though... that show has really hit its stride.

SlimSlowSlider
09-23-2010, 05:50 PM
Too early to discuss TV yet?
Gotta say, did NOT like "Running Wilde." Honestly, after watching the first episode, we had no interest in watching another, even though both the wife and I find Will Arnett to be very, very funny.

Totally agree. Arnett is a riot, as is the other guy from Arrested Development. But that might have been the worst pilot I have ever seen. My wife and I almost bailed through. We struggled to the conclusion of the show, but I don't know if I dare watch another episode. It was really that bad.

Duvall
09-23-2010, 08:49 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I found "Modern Family" to be very... well, formulaic and a bit trite. Before it even happened you knew that Phil was going to do something about time machine and the car, and the Manny/Mom storyline was just empty and pointless (although watching Sophia mix chocolate milk was a damned highlight... animated GIF, please!)

http://www.gifsoup.com/view2/1160438/sofia-vergara-chocolate-milk-o.gif

Lord Ash
09-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Holy cow... talk about service... now THAT deserves a positive comment!!!:D Thank you!

Just finished "Hell's Kitchen"... about 30 seconds in, my wife (a counselor) sees Raj and says "Oh, he has Asperger's." He totally does! The inability to really communicate, the obsessive bit (notice he kept turning off the stoves/looking in the pots every time he walked past them...) I actually feel a little bad for the guy:(

And that blond girl is crraaaaaaaa-zy.

DevilAlumna
09-23-2010, 09:32 PM
The networks do have a few carryovers that we'll watch with Castle being at the top of our preferential list.

We started watching Castle re-runs this summer, and have gotten kind of hooked on it. I totally love Nathan Fillion, which is enough to overcome the otherwise far too standard "murder mystery solved by cops" CBS formula.

Lord Ash
09-23-2010, 10:19 PM
Hm. "The Office" was not very good. Imagine that.

*sigh*

http://www.panelsonpages.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/jump_the_shark.gif

JasonEvans
09-23-2010, 11:08 PM
Totally agree. Arnett is a riot, as is the other guy from Arrested Development. But that might have been the worst pilot I have ever seen. My wife and I almost bailed through. We struggled to the conclusion of the show, but I don't know if I dare watch another episode. It was really that bad.

I watched Running Wilde in stunned silence. It was truly awful. I don't even begin to care about any of the characters. Arnett's title character has no depth to him and is pretty much a reprehensible, spoiled brat. All the side characters who serve him seems worthless. The female lead is absurd. she just left David Cross in the jungle without any further thought. I doubt Cross is going to be on it regularly. He'll make 2-3 guest appearances per season, I bet.

The only reason I would dare watch another episode is the hope that the pilot was bad so they could "set things up" for the series and now that the set up is done, they can hit their stride.

So, I'll watch one more --

--Jason "Running Wilde got a 2.5 rating in the demo and had 5.87 million viewers-- pretty weak numbers" Evans

dball
09-24-2010, 12:14 AM
I watched Running Wilde in stunned silence. It was truly awful. I don't even begin to care about any of the characters. Arnett's title character has no depth to him and is pretty much a reprehensible, spoiled brat. All the side characters who serve him seems worthless. The female lead is absurd. she just left David Cross in the jungle without any further thought. I doubt Cross is going to be on it regularly. He'll make 2-3 guest appearances per season, I bet.

The only reason I would dare watch another episode is the hope that the pilot was bad so they could "set things up" for the series and now that the set up is done, they can hit their stride.

So, I'll watch one more --

--Jason "Running Wilde got a 2.5 rating in the demo and had 5.87 million viewers-- pretty weak numbers" Evans

Didn't stick with the whole show but did like the "Wilde" response to the kid finally speaking. "If you tell anyone I can read minds, the deal is off." (paraphrasing)

Lord Ash
09-24-2010, 08:13 AM
Is it possible to give negative comments to a non-post... say, if someone edited out an animated gif of a beautiful woman making a glass of chocolate milk? Because if so, someone better be ready to lose some pitchforks.

:)

So no Hell's Kitchen watchers here?

Mal
09-24-2010, 10:33 AM
I, too, thought the premiere of "Modern Family" was lacking. Hopefully that doesn't last. Although I liked Jay's line about helping Mitchell build something when he was a kid: "That was my Vietnam. And I was in Vietnam."

"30 Rock," on the other hand, came flying out of the gate last night. I'm changing my fantasy football team's name to "Elk Tongue." Lots of great quotes from the first episode already. "Hmmm...is that on my "Sadness Scavenger Hunt" list? Why, yes it is." "Mark Foley once described them as 'piercing.'"

Re: new shows, I caught 20 minutes of the one with Maura Tierney and Rob Morrow, two actors I've always liked. My wife and I both agreed it will fail. Flat, predictible, nothing new under the sun, and the central conceit of the show is just not interesting enough. Just about what you'd expect from a Bruckheimer production - pervasive mediocrity. Also, I hate Tierney's hair chopped like that. Are they trying to make her look like Maggie from "Northern Exposure" and think no one would notice? Are they trying to get us to subliminally remember the good chemistry between her and Morrow from close to 20 years ago?

ArnieMc
09-24-2010, 10:51 AM
If anyone is tempted to watch "Outlaw" tonight, don't bother. The premise, writing, acting, directing, and everything else is horrid! We actually fought our way all the way to the end hoping for some redeeming qualities, but it was just bland, predictable and totally without drama or interest.

Duvall
09-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Re: new shows, I caught 20 minutes of the one with Maura Tierney and Rob Morrow, two actors I've always liked. My wife and I both agreed it will fail. Flat, predictible, nothing new under the sun, and the central conceit of the show is just not interesting enough. Just about what you'd expect from a Bruckheimer production - pervasive mediocrity. Also, I hate Tierney's hair chopped like that. Are they trying to make her look like Maggie from "Northern Exposure" and think no one would notice? Are they trying to get us to subliminally remember the good chemistry between her and Morrow from close to 20 years ago?

Not sure her hair is cropped, exactly (http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/television/article_9d5120c2-731c-5c51-85ac-639a422d61a6.html).

pfrduke
09-24-2010, 01:29 PM
I realize I'm coming to this a touch late, since the show premiered on Monday, but the pilot of Lone Star was really, really good TV. Strong acting performances, compelling characters, compelling story. The only concern (and it's one that's been echoed in almost every review of the show) is that it's not clear how exactly they maintain this over the course of a 13-22 episode season (let alone multiple seasons).

Mal
09-24-2010, 01:46 PM
Not sure her hair is cropped, exactly (http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/television/article_9d5120c2-731c-5c51-85ac-639a422d61a6.html).

Well, don't I feel like the such-and-such. I certainly take back that commentary. :( Pleased to hear of her recovery.

Duvall
09-24-2010, 01:51 PM
I realize I'm coming to this a touch late, since the show premiered on Monday, but the pilot of Lone Star was really, really good TV. Strong acting performances, compelling characters, compelling story. The only concern (and it's one that's been echoed in almost every review of the show) is that it's not clear how exactly they maintain this over the course of a 13-22 episode season (let alone multiple seasons).

Based on the ratings for the premiere, that's almost certainly not going to be a problem (http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/09/fox_not_cancelling_lone_star_j.html). But the pilot was quite good.

Jarhead
09-24-2010, 01:59 PM
From what I read here it seems that the sitcoms are worse than ever, and trending even worse. We won't touch 'em. In the drama category, we did like Detroit 187, but maybe that was because of so many roles with familiar, likable actors. That young detective that was shot at the end of the show -- are they killing him off for some reason? He didn't show up in the previews. Too bad. Any more of that, and I'll change my mind. :mad:

bjornolf
09-24-2010, 02:10 PM
From what I read here it seems that the sitcoms are worse than ever, and trending even worse. We won't touch 'em. In the drama category, we did like Detroit 187, but maybe that was because of so many roles with familiar, likable actors. That young detective that was shot at the end of the show -- are they killing him off for some reason? He didn't show up in the previews. Too bad. Any more of that, and I'll change my mind. :mad:

My wife and I liked "Mike and Molly" okay, but we like both actors, so we'll see. Being a fat guy myself, I like the jokes. I BELIEVE we saw the back of the detective that got shot running for a split second during one of the previews, so I think he'll be back, but I'm NOT 100% positive. Just looked at IMDB. I know they aren't 100% accurate, but they DO have him listed for four episodes this season, same as the other main characters' actors.

pfrduke
09-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Based on the ratings for the premiere, that's almost certainly not going to be a problem (http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/09/fox_not_cancelling_lone_star_j.html). But the pilot was quite good.

That's a shame, although I can't say I'm surprised.

Lord Ash
09-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Okay folks... thoughts on "Fringe?"

LOVED that Bubs was on it, playing the cabbie! Love that actor; just seems to create such a sense of empathy. I think he will stick around. Interesting that next weeks episode seems completely removed from the alt-world... they are just going to roll with it being a fairly normal "X-Files"y episode... very cool, actually:) I thought they would just ignore real Olivia, but interesting that they dealt with her straight out and got it out of the way in the first episode.

Anyway, I have to say, I enjoy "Fringe," and I am impressed that they really seem willing to mess with the fundamental elements of the show.

Lord Ash
09-25-2010, 12:17 AM
Oh, and call me silly, but I sort of enjoyed "Outsourced." Something about a majority-Indian cast, with the setting and culture as it is, tickles my interest. The wife was also amused by it; I think we'll give it a go!

Oh, and yes, "30 Rock" was very funny. I need that show to be good... it seemed like it slipped juuuust a touch, and I really want to make sure it stays on top. Oh, and how do they get permission to use "Late Night With David Letterman" and "The Mentalist" and stuff like that?! Is it a cross-promotion with another network, or is it just common domain sort of stuff? Anyway, I enjoy it, it brings an interesting feeling to the show:)

blazindw
09-25-2010, 07:10 PM
I watched the premiere of Detroit 1-8-7. As a native Detroiter, I was straight offended that they would name a show after the city by that name...just fueled the stereotype that Detroit is nothing but a dead/dying city with nothing but vicious people living within it's borders. I said that I wouldn't watch it and and I did anyway to give it a chance. I hated it. The setup wasn't unique, and it really didn't do anything for the city. In fact, there were very few city shots and you could tell clearly that the show was filmed in Atlanta (my roommate is from Atlanta and could tell after 1 second what part of the city they were in). They didn't make anything Detroit authentic, from the informant with the gold grill to putting ketchup on a coney dog (huge no-no) to calling it SODA instead of POP. Lots of holes and no reason for having the rookie shot at the end. Won't be watching it again, and most of my Detroit friends won't be watching either.

JasonEvans
09-25-2010, 11:13 PM
Okay folks... thoughts on "Fringe?"

LOVED that Bubs was on it, playing the cabbie! Love that actor; just seems to create such a sense of empathy. I think he will stick around. Interesting that next weeks episode seems completely removed from the alt-world... they are just going to roll with it being a fairly normal "X-Files"y episode... very cool, actually:) I thought they would just ignore real Olivia, but interesting that they dealt with her straight out and got it out of the way in the first episode.

Anyway, I have to say, I enjoy "Fringe," and I am impressed that they really seem willing to mess with the fundamental elements of the show.

I have not watched the season premiere yet, but Fringe gets it own thread (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?11214-Fringe-discussion/page11). It is too great a show to stick inside this random mishmash of mostly new shows ;)

--Jason "in fact, I think I am going to move your post into the Fringe thread to bring it back to life" Evans

Lord Ash
09-26-2010, 12:25 AM
Good idea. Jason, have you seen any of the other new shows/returning shows? Thoughts?

Faustus
09-26-2010, 08:44 AM
Sigh... page three and no mention of "Chuck". Such a fun show but sadly still getting poor ratings and Season 4 seems likely its last. Hope they'll at least wrap up the storyline before shutting it down.

Oh, and a new Amzing Race begins tonight!

brevity
09-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Sigh... page three and no mention of "Chuck". Such a fun show but sadly still getting poor ratings and Season 4 seems likely its last. Hope they'll at least wrap up the storyline before shutting it down.

Okay, I'll mention Chuck. A week into the season, and I've seen a few things, mostly on demand or on DVR (two sentence maximum):

Sunday

Boardwalk Empire, HBO: The origins of organized crime is a fascinating subject. I'm proud of Martin Scorsese for resisting the urge to use the Rolling Stones' "Gimme Shelter" for the first time ever.

Monday

Chuck, NBC: A fairly decent reset from the season finale, and good use of Dolph Lundgren. But I'm not excited yet.

Lone Star, FOX: Excellent. I'll watch every episode until they pull it off the air next month.

The Event, NBC: Recorded it. Thinking about deleting it instead of watching it.

Castle, ABC: I enjoyed how Det. Beckett planted the idea "they make lots of money" into Castle's head. I believe the term for that is "inception."

Tuesday

Glee, FOX: I missed the last 5 or so episodes of Season 1, and now I kind of remember why. Rachel's weight loss is disturbing, and Sue Sylvester failed to insult Will Schuester's hair.

Running Wilde, FOX: The first few minutes were actually pretty sharp -- if they could build a whole show around Will Arnett and his servants, that might be funny.

Wednesday

Undercovers, NBC: Cute and zippy, but it began the same way Chuck's pilot did. Might get better, might get worse.

Modern Family, ABC: Luke's "buckety" line was so subtle that I had to process it for a moment before chuckling. But kind of a weak episode all around.

Cougar Town, ABC: I rarely watch this, but I tried it for the Friends reunion. Jennifer Aniston brought the crazy, but other elements of the episode were funnier.

The Defenders, CBS: Low expectation meets more than competent pilot. The moment it gets serious I'll probably lose interest.

Thursday

Community, NBC: They throw in so much material that it's both weaker and stronger than other TV comedies.

30 Rock, NBC: I liked the "sadness scavenger hunt" line, but not a great effort.

Bones, FOX: A very forced reset, I thought. Sweets' beard is a mistake.

The Office, NBC: Not the episode to instill hope for this season. Needs to improve quickly.

Outsourced, NBC: Being Indian, I'm not going to say much negative here. Having seen the movie, it has the potential to get a lot better.

The Mentalist, CBS: Didn't break any new ground after a strong second season. Should be twistier, at the very least.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, FX: Very uneven. The gay marriage episode hit all the right notes, but the divorce episode did not work at all.

Friday

Smallville, CW: A lot of ideas to get excited about, but the writing is as nonsensical as ever. More event TV than good TV.

The Good Guys, FOX: I don't mind that it's formulaic because I love the formula. Nothing about it seemed like a season premiere, though.

Supernatural, CW: Recorded it, and will get around to watching. But the show ended perfectly last season.

For the next few weeks there's still Mad Men. Premieres of Dexter, The Good Wife, and Human Target arrive this week, and then a bit of TV Darwinism will pare down the list significantly. (I also watch Fringe, but only on DVD.)

theAlaskanBear
09-26-2010, 11:58 AM
Well I finally got around to watching the few openers I was interested in.

Community: Same as last season, over-the-top, and a bit ridiculous, but still enjoyable...

The Office: I thought this was a perfectly acceptable episode. After 6 seasons, no need to reinvent the wheel. I particularly enjoyed the new Kelly Kapoor, and Creed's invective against Betty White was that much better following White's appearance in Community. The musical intro sucked though...

30 Rock: ehhh, it will shake off the doldrums and kick into gear -- but man I hate Matt Damon in this role...

Outsourced: Energetic, and doesn't take itself too seriously...I think I will really enjoy this one, if it doesn't get too cheesy.

Btw, anyone seen the movie Rocket Singh?

Channing
09-27-2010, 01:35 PM
I really liked episode 1, but kept hearing the show got cancelled. I have since (I think) confirmed that it is staying on the air.

Is this show going to be like Friday Night Lights - a GREAT show that just never really grabs a following?

pfrduke
09-27-2010, 01:51 PM
I really liked episode 1, but kept hearing the show got cancelled. I have since (I think) confirmed that it is staying on the air.

Is this show going to be like Friday Night Lights - a GREAT show that just never really grabs a following?

Moved this post because there's been a brief discussion of Lone Star in this thread (see posts 45, 47, 50 above). Apparently the ratings were terrible, but I agree that the pilot was great (I'm holding off on calling it a great show until I see how they string a series of episodes together without making it seem too ridiculous - sustainability of the story could be a challenge).

DUKIECB
09-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Impressions so far:

Sitcoms

Mike and Molly: Thought it was funny. Doesn't take itself too seriously and I liked the actors. Will keep watching.

#$*! My Dad Says: Didn't do much for me. Wasn't very funny. Deleted from DVR.

Raising Hope: It stunk in my opinion and I actually liked Earl! I thought it was bad acting, bad writing and bad everything else.

Better With You: The wife and I loved it! It was funny throughout. Will definitely keep watching.

Dramas

Detroit 1-8-7: I thought it was boring. The lead actor was boring as watching grass grow. It is no different than the hundred other cop shows that have already been on TV for years.

The Event: I have to disagree to an extent with Jason on this one and say I like it for now. We'll see how it goes but I think I'll give it a couple more episodes before I decide for sure if I'm going to get hooked and keep watching. I liked it but am skeptical.

Blue Bloods: I thought it was really good. It's a cop show but it has the human emotion side of the story too. Through the family of cops you are introduced to a lot of different angles that other cop shows don't capture. Will watch again.

Hawaii Five-0: Have it recorded but haven't watched yet. Two friends watched and both said it was good. We'll see.

moonpie23
09-28-2010, 07:32 AM
hah...man, you guys have a lot of free time to be getting all those shows in.....

i dvr only two shows apart from sports ...

Castle and Warehouse 13.......

http://ui32.gamespot.com/479/702headbanginstick_4.gif

Lord Ash
09-28-2010, 08:34 AM
My wife LOVES fall TV. She literally sits with the Fall TV Guide from Entertainment Weekly and ends up starting a solid ten new shows every fall. As they stink, she drops them. Gotta give her credit; she was onto shows like Mad Men and 30 Rock from the very first episodes:)

Duvall
09-28-2010, 06:56 PM
Lone Star cancelled (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i677c428c4dc16c2cbf661b5e3953feee).

pfrduke
09-28-2010, 08:39 PM
Lone Star cancelled (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i677c428c4dc16c2cbf661b5e3953feee).

If the first week's ratings weren't bad enough, the 25% drop from week 1-2 was definitely a death knell. It's a shame; it was good TV.

Lord Ash
10-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Please don't laugh, but I sort of enjoy "Outsourced." I like the music, I like the guy who plays the assistant manager... I am hoping it will do well, especially if it gets into somewhat deeper stories at some point about things like the caste system.

cf-62
10-06-2010, 08:38 AM
My Generation is gone!

This show looked doomed from the start. I must say that on top of the boring BORING premise of the show, the plot "twists" that happened during the missing 10 years seemed REALLLLLLLLLLLY out there.

I caught a 3 minute glimpse on its premier night - didn't even bother watching to the end of the sub-story it was so boring.

Lord Ash
10-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Hey can I ask; does anyone here watch "Bored to Death" on HBO? It is a rather funny and quirky little show with a real Woody-Allen-esque tone. Anyone else watch it?

cf-62
10-07-2010, 01:24 AM
Hey can I ask; does anyone here watch "Bored to Death" on HBO? It is a rather funny and quirky little show with a real Woody-Allen-esque tone. Anyone else watch it?

I watched the first two episodes. After that, I felt like I do watching a Woody Allen movie. One joke - repeated over and over and over and over and...

CLT Devil
10-07-2010, 11:30 AM
The first season of Eastbound and Down was one of my favorite seasons of any TV show, ever. It was crude, offensive and downright hilarious. Maybe because it was filmed and set in places that I know well, and I can relate with a lot of the characters having lived in NC my whole life but I loved that show.

The new season just seems like they have 'sold out' and are making generic jokes that some writers came up with, not the freestyling improv that made season 1 great. They also got rid of just about every character from the first season...has anyone ever seen a show that was such a hit get rid of so many people who were a part of the show's initial success? I just feel like the writers used up all of their best material and now are either using less-funny jokes or have someone they have to go to to approve the crude lines that made the show unique.

In a way it reminds me of Chappelle Show; The first two seasons Dave got to write whatever he wanted and he probabley used up all of the material he had been writing his whole life. When the show turned into a runaway success they wanted to pay him a ton of money and do another season but Dave flipped out and couldn't deliver. I think it had to do with all the pressure to make it as funny as past episodes/seasons, and I am seeing the same thing happen with Eastbound and Down. What a shame. It's only two episodes in but I can tell they have lost their edge.

Anyone else here watch the show? I'd like to hear what other people think.

cf-62
10-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Doctor, Lawyer, and Cop shows are the traditional stalwarts of drama, but we got a brief respite for 6 years while everybody tried to copy Lost.

Now we got inundated with a WHOLE BUNCH of new shows - that mostly stink and, more importantly, seem like they'll mostly be gone by December.

Does anybody like ANY of the new spate of typical dramas?

JasonEvans
10-12-2010, 01:50 PM
I dunno why, but I have been tracking the ratings for The Event. I guess, because it is a mystery show, I want to make sure the mystery will be somewhat answered before it gets canceled.

18-49 Total Percent
Episode Rating Viewers Change
Ep. 1 3.6 10.9 ----
Ep. 2 2.9 9.1 (16.5)
Ep. 3 2.4 7.5 (17.6)
Ep. 4 2.2 6.5 (13.3)

Ummm, that is not good. Still, the Event started out with good ratings so even with these weekly declines, the show is not yet in danger of imminent cancellation. I think NBC is also trying to be patient because the network has so few shows that are a success right now. Obviously, if the show continues to shed about 15% of the audience every week it will be in huge trouble in a couple weeks but, at its current levels, it is a survivor.

--Jason "by the end, Heroes was only getting a little more than 4 million viewers per episode" Evans

JasonEvans
10-13-2010, 09:18 AM
My kids like it but the wife and I are about to give up on No Ordinary Family. I swear, the show is being written by 9-year-olds who have no idea what the words nuance or subtle even mean, let alone how to include those concepts in a plot. It is simply one of the worst-plotted and written shows on TV...

...and it is a pity because I think the general idea behind it could work and make for a decent TV series. It is sorta Greatest American Hero meets The Incredibles and it really had potential to be fun, but it is badly misfiring and logically inconsistent.

Ahh well, another slot opens up on my TIVO.

--Jason "Meanwhile, Running Wilde is starting to grow on me a little bit" Evans

camion
10-13-2010, 09:31 AM
I've been disappointed in No Ordinary Family. The thing that might save it for me is if they brought in Edna.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh149/dora61/ednamode.jpg

Lord Ash
10-13-2010, 11:48 AM
--Jason "Meanwhile, Running Wilde is starting to grow on me a little bit" Evans

Really? We gave up on it straight out. Is it starting to hold together a bit? Is the narrator-girl a little less irritating? I found her a bit annoying in the first episode.

How do people feel about "Outsourced?" Still meh? I have to say, the wife and I are still enjoying it. It is definitely a bit heavy handed, rather than subtle, but somewhat cute.

No one else here has tried "Bored to Death?" I find it to be just such a quirky, funny little show:)

Channing
10-14-2010, 01:36 PM
I have found the Undercovers to be quite entertaining. I don't have to think much, which I enjoy, and the premise plays on the spy thrill. Anyone else watching this?

cf-62
10-19-2010, 12:43 AM
Don't know why, but I can't stand to watch 5 seconds of Running Wilde. It just plain bores me. When it's not boring me, I find myself cringing, not laughing.

Conversely, Raising Hope (which comes on in front of RW) had us in stitches. Twice, I laughed so hard that I cried -- and once I had trouble breathing because I was laughing so hard.

DUKIECB
10-19-2010, 07:41 AM
I dunno why, but I have been tracking the ratings for The Event. I guess, because it is a mystery show, I want to make sure the mystery will be somewhat answered before it gets canceled.

18-49 Total Percent
Episode Rating Viewers Change
Ep. 1 3.6 10.9 ----
Ep. 2 2.9 9.1 (16.5)
Ep. 3 2.4 7.5 (17.6)
Ep. 4 2.2 6.5 (13.3)

Ummm, that is not good. Still, the Event started out with good ratings so even with these weekly declines, the show is not yet in danger of imminent cancellation. I think NBC is also trying to be patient because the network has so few shows that are a success right now. Obviously, if the show continues to shed about 15% of the audience every week it will be in huge trouble in a couple weeks but, at its current levels, it is a survivor.

--Jason "by the end, Heroes was only getting a little more than 4 million viewers per episode" Evans

I read on MSNBC this morning that NBC picked up The Event for the entire season. I'm still somewhat intrigued by it and want to like it but I'm still not entirely sold on it.

weezie
10-19-2010, 08:56 AM
I noticed that I have indeed grown a pretty good crush on the new Steve McGarret. Took a few episodes. Last night the air horn interrogation was lol.

Did anyone catch "Luther" on BBCA? Great stuff! Another crush there.

Lord Ash
10-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Don't know why, but I can't stand to watch 5 seconds of Running Wilde. It just plain bores me. When it's not boring me, I find myself cringing, not laughing.

Conversely, Raising Hope (which comes on in front of RW) had us in stitches. Twice, I laughed so hard that I cried -- and once I had trouble breathing because I was laughing so hard.

Hm, my wife loves "Raising Hope" but I have to say I barely crack a smile during it. She admits that it really appeals to her white trash roots.

Oh, and I am anxiously looking forward to AMCs new "The Walking Dead," which is only six episodes but they already picked up a 12 episode second season, so yipee!

bjornolf
10-20-2010, 06:25 AM
I've been disappointed in No Ordinary Family. The thing that might save it for me is if they brought in Edna.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh149/dora61/ednamode.jpg

Sorry, I think she's on NCIS: LA. ;)