PDA

View Full Version : Joe Alleva Performance Review

4decadedukie
06-01-2007, 01:46 PM
http://www.dukenews.duke.edu/2007/06/alleva.html

Duke is conducting a periodic review of Joe Alleva's performance as our Athletic Director (please see the foregoing URL and/or the University website’s “News” section) and the Administration solicits opinions and inputs. This is an opportunity to influence Duke's athletic future. Many individuals have expressed concerns with Joe's performance, while others believe he has performed admirably. So, here is your chance to explain to the review committee how well Mr. Alleva has functioned, what you believe are his strengths and weaknesses, how his managerial execution can be improved, and -- for that matter -- why or why not he should be reappointed.

DevilAlumna
06-01-2007, 02:44 PM
This might be "Elizabeth King/Main Board" material.

4decadedukie
06-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Fine with me . . .

duketaylor
06-01-2007, 11:37 PM
I think I'll defer;)

arnie
06-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Thanks so much for alerting me to his review. I have calmly responded via email and hope many others that desire an AD with integrity and vision will also respond.

Indoor66
06-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Can't imagine the tone of your E-Mail.

Wander
06-02-2007, 01:50 PM
while others believe he has performed admirably.

Uh, really? There are people that believe that?

4decadedukie
06-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Uh, really? There are people that believe that?

Give me a break . . . I was obviously attempting to notify Dukies in a respectful, unbiased manner. And, yes, I am sure he has some allies and admirers . . . I don't really know any, but he is certain to have some.
:D

SmartDevil
06-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Great to see two outstanding former Duke footballers, Leo Hart and Duke trustee and Shaw University president C. G. Newsome, on the committee.

I imagine the performance reveiw will be critical in shaping (or justifying) whatever actions are taken regarding Alleva.

Our football program under Alleva (and, yes, somewhat prior to Alleva as well) has been pathetic. We've done quite well in a lot of other sports....but in addition to football there have been major "Alleva issues" relating to lacrosse, baseball, and women's basketball in recent years.

Years ago Duke moved basketball coach Bucky Waters to a medical center executive job. Maybe an Alleva solution would be something along those lines, with Alleva free to sink or swim in the new position.

I recently received a detailed "opinion research" survey questionaire dealing with Duke football. I believe I received it because I'm a former Duke football letterman but it may have gone to other former Duke athletes or beyond that for that matter. In any case, it struck me that the survey, whatever its results, may contribute to whatever action is taken (or not taken) re: Alleva as the administration and the Trustees consider his future. I did find it interesting that the step of commissioning a detailed and professional survey had been undertaken. Something could finally be brewing....

4decadedukie
06-03-2007, 06:34 AM
Thanks so much for your enlightening post.

I would add -- and, unfortunately, I do not remember the precise details -- that Coach Roof invited all football alumni back to campus recently (late last year?) and solicited their views re the program's direction, plans for improvement, etc. Further, again in 2006-2007, our team's graduation rate exceeded 90 percent, keeping us in the stratosphere (with Notre Dame, Northwestern, BC, and a few others) as Divisions I's perpetual graduation rate leaders. Finally, there has been some on the field and recruiting progress (my individual opinion, only), but it is also clear that we have a L-O-N-G way to go.

Some wise football alums, with whom I have served on the DAA Board, suggest that our advancements will remain modest and our successes will be constrained unless we hire a nationally prominent coach for big bucks. I am not expert enough to comment on the validity of that supposition, but I am not sure we should do so even if it is true. What I am certain about, however, is our football program MUST remain a model of character, academic performance, discipline, and so forth.

Personally (once more, my judgment only), I hope we can eventually be continuously competitive in the lower-tier of the ACC, while retaining "Duke proud" integrity, academics, and so forth.

freedevil
06-04-2007, 12:50 PM
I'm with ya 4deca!