PDA

View Full Version : Former Wake BB Player Tony Woods

dukejim1
09-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Wake Forest University basketball player Tony Woods was arrested and charged this week with assault (http://www.wxii12.com/sports/24957967/detail.html)

CameronBornAndBred
09-12-2010, 10:36 PM
http://www.wxii12.com/sports/24957967/detail.html

http://www.wxii12.com/sports/24957967/detail.html[/URL]
Hard to add anything to that. Very sad. Not for him, but for the woman and child involved.
Vibes to her and the kid. Jebus..he broke her back.

MulletMan
09-13-2010, 10:16 AM
Didn't see this linked anywhere, but heard about it on the radio on the way into work this morning.

Not good (http://www.wxii12.com/sports/24957967/detail.html) for anyone involved or the Wake basketball program. Let's first hope that this girl is OK, but a fractured spine is pretty awful. Let's next hope that Woods' son didn't witness this. Then let's hope that this doesn't destroy Woods' life, but you have to think his career at Wake (and possibly elsewhere) is in big trouble.

EDIT: (Scroll down before posting, Mullet.)

JasonEvans
09-13-2010, 10:52 AM
To talk about this purely from a basketball standpoint-- this is a major blow for Wake. Woods, CJ Harris, and Ari Stewart were the only Deacs with real experience coming back. Many thought this would be the year Woods really exploded as a player and lived up to his tremendous potential as an athletic (almost) 7-footer. I figured his shot-blocking would be a significant part of Wake's defensive identity.

Wake seems to have plenty of talent on the wing, but will be a big starved at what many consider the two most important positions on the floor -- PG and C. Wake brings in a deep and talented freshman class, but this really pushes 6-10 freshman Carson Desrosiers into the spotlight. Desrosiers is very thin and his offensive game is a face-the-basket kinda game where he shoots mid-range jumpers. He is not a mix-it-up on the inside kinda player and Wake really needed someone like that.

Woods would have been on the floor at much as fouls would allow this coming season. Now, one has to wonder if he will ever wear a Wake uniform again. This is about as big a blow as Wake could have gotten.

--Jason "caveat, we obviously need to wait and see what the legal system brings to the table-- as Mike Nifong taught us" Evans

mgtr
09-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Recruiting really needs to consider character first. If the story is true as reported (which would be rare!), then the player is probably toast. Who recruited the kid -- Gaudio?

flyingdutchdevil
09-13-2010, 12:00 PM
Recruiting really needs to consider character first. If the story is true as reported (which would be rare!), then the player is probably toast. Who recruited the kid -- Gaudio?

Prosser, and Woods decided to attend WF even after Prosser's death. Woods was seen as a project with enormous potential.

Shame....real shame....

weezie
09-13-2010, 12:45 PM
....one has to wonder if he will ever wear a Wake uniform again....

I dunno...fracturing someone's back would sure steam me if I was a Wake student, male or female. I'd be thoroughly ashamed and revolted by the idea of a...ok, "suspected" abuser representing my university.
This guy sounds unhinged.

OldPhiKap
09-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Recruiting really needs to consider character first.

Not sure I want to start throwing stones in that glass house. We have been fortunate to have a great number of outstanding student-athlete citizens, but we are not without blemish. Who knows what this kid (allegedly) did in a possible fit of passion, and I don't think that would reflect on the coaches in any way.

(And, before someone says it, I don't think an argument of "yeah, but our kids' transgressions didn't result in this kind of injury" is a very satisfying retort. The issue is whether a player's off-court personal actions were foreseeable by the coaches when recruiting or not. If this guy flipped out, and in a fit of passion did something awful, that's on his head -- not the coach's).

Indoor66
09-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Not sure I want to start throwing stones in that glass house. We have been fortunate to have a great number of outstanding student-athlete citizens, but we are not without blemish. Who knows what this kid (allegedly) did in a possible fit of passion, and I don't think that would reflect on the coaches in any way.

(And, before someone says it, I don't think an argument of "yeah, but our kids' transgressions didn't result in this kind of injury" is a very satisfying retort. The issue is whether a player's off-court personal actions were foreseeable by the coaches when recruiting or not. If this guy flipped out, and in a fit of passion did something awful, that's on his head -- not the coach's).

Does anyone remenber Robin Bodkin and the incident on Campus Drive in the 60's?

mgtr
09-13-2010, 02:19 PM

I agree, and wasn't so much thinking of this guy, about whom I know nothing beyond the article, but about recruiting in general. There have been outstanding talents who gave every indication of being a real jerk who were snatched up by other coaches.

OldPhiKap
09-13-2010, 02:35 PM
There have been outstanding talents who gave every indication of being a real jerk who were snatched up by other coaches.

We are in accord.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-13-2010, 05:30 PM
I know of one possibility. Please refresh my memory.

jimsumner
09-13-2010, 09:29 PM
From Wake Forest press release earlier today.

"Wake Forest junior center Tony Woods has been suspended indefinitely from the men’s basketball team, according to head coach Jeff Bzdelik.

“We are suspending Tony Woods indefinitely in order to allow him to devote his time and effort to address the allegations that he is facing,” said Bzdelik. “It is also important that Tony have the necessary time to maintain his good academic standing.” "

roywhite
09-13-2010, 09:35 PM

That was a little before my time, but I've heard stories. Something about a huge fight with (more than one) "townie". I know Robin was a football player.

What happened and what is the association to the allegations involving Tony Woods?

brevity
09-14-2010, 01:01 AM
Who knows what this kid (allegedly) did in a possible fit of passion, and I don't think that would reflect on the coaches in any way.

Agreed. From a personal standpoint, I don't think anything could ever happen at work that would tick me off (in front of co-workers) as much as I can get ticked off at home on a regular basis (in front of family members). My temperament is entirely based on environment.

Similarly, coaches see recruits at their best, in games and in carefully planned home visits. Assuming the recruit has no documented history of domestic issues, a coach has no way to predict something like this, and the blame rests on the player's shoulders alone. All the coach can do is deliver some disciplinary measure (in this case, an indefinite suspension) and make himself available for personal support.

Duvall
10-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Won't be seeing Tony Woods this year (http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/16576/woods-wont-play-for-wake-this-season/).

Suspended for a semester by the university honor court, which will make him ineligible to play this season.

Cockabeau
10-08-2010, 03:03 PM

I am surprised that no one has brought up the egregious undercut foul that Woods gave to Singler last year. I thought it was malicious and ironically it could have caused Singler serious back injury.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Won't be seeing Tony Woods this year (http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/16576/woods-wont-play-for-wake-this-season/).

Suspended for a semester by the university honor court, which will make him ineligible to play this season.

In addition to the Honor Court decision regarding Woods' immediate future at Wake Forest, Coach Bzdelik has suspended him indefinitely from the team. To return at all, Woods must re-apply for admission to Wake. It's not at all clear that he'd be welcomed back to the team.

juise
10-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Woods has asked for a release from Wake and the university has gladly obliged.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5674388).

4decadedukie
10-12-2010, 05:50 PM
After he pleaded guiilty to assault charges, junior center Tony Woods has been released from Wake's basketball program.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/14112319/suspended-woods-granted-release-from-wake-foresthttp://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/14112319/suspended-woods-granted-release-from-wake-forest

Duvall
10-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Tony Woods is a popular guy (http://community.foxsports.com/goodmanonfox/blog/2010/10/14/wakes_woods_set_to_visit_louisville;_kentucky,_oth ers_also_express_interest).

Wake Forest big man Tony Woods, who was granted his release from the program following a misdemeanor assault on his girlfriend, is scheduled to head to Louisville this weekend.

However, the Cardinals aren’t the only big-time program that has expressed interest in bringing in the talented big man.

Woods’ former summer coach, Norman Parker of the Georgia Stars, told FOXSports.com that Woods is expected to take an official visit to Rick Pitino’s program.

``He’ll go this weekend,” Parker said.

Parker also said that Kentucky, West Virginia, Georgetown, Auburn, Xavier, Cincinnati – among others – have reached out to both him and Woods’ mother in an attempt to recruit the junior.

``I’ve literally gotten about 30 calls about him,” Parker said.

Bluedog
10-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Tony Woods is transferring to Louisville supposedly.

http://www.bloggersodear.com/2010/10/17/1757696/tony-woods-who-was-expected-to-start-at-center-for-wake-forest-this

According to his AAU coach:

"He plans to enroll at Louisville in January," said Norman Parker, Woods' former AAU coach. "He's going to focus on getting his community service and all that stuff worked out now. He's got some obligations that he's got to fulfill, but it looks like come January he's going to Louisville."