PDA

View Full Version : Rockier Top

CameronBornAndBred
09-10-2010, 01:44 PM
The Tennessee Vols' basketball program is now being investigated. I don't see after their football debacle that Hamilton is going to have his job for too much longer. It seems that someone (or someones) made a bunch of unauthorized phone calls to recruits. Aren't those the same violations that took down Indiana?
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5552505

Edit...I wonder with both programs apparently under such scrutiny for not so minor violations if they will pull out the "loss of institutional control".

OldPhiKap
09-10-2010, 01:50 PM
The Tennessee Vols' basketball program is now being investigated. I don't see after their football debacle that Hamilton is going to have his job for too much longer. It seems that someone (or someones) made a bunch of unauthorized phone calls to recruits. Aren't those the same violations that took down Indiana?
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5552505

Edit...I wonder with both programs apparently under such scrutiny for not so minor violations if they will pull out the "loss of institutional control".

"Once two strangers climbed Ol' Rocky Top
Looking for a moonshine still.
Strangers ain't come down from Rocky Top
Guess they never will . . . ."

roywhite
09-10-2010, 03:45 PM
In a related story:

Derek Dooley Cleans Up the Tennessee Football Program..Literally (http://lastangryfan.com/2010/09/derek-dooley-cleans-up-the-tennessee-football-program-literally/)

From the coach himself:

“We’ve had a few staph infections, so we did a clinic yesterday on proper shower technique and soap and using a rag,” Dooley said. ”We put some new rags in — y’all think I’m kidding, but I’m serious.”

“We had, I told them, the worst shower discipline of any team I’ve ever been around. So we talked a little bit about application of soap to the rag and making sure you hit all your body. You know, you can neglect it trying to cut corners, and it shows in how you practice and elsewhere. I’m hoping we show some improvement in that.”

muzikfrk75
09-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Ouch.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/15137/tennessee-penalizes-bruce-pearl-staff

* And, in what could be the most important penalty for Tennessee's on-court performance, Pearl will be prohibited from any off campus recruiting activities from Sept. 24, 2010 to Sept. 24, 2011.

Greg_Newton
09-10-2010, 04:19 PM

There's plenty of institutional control at UT, it's just of the wrong kind. Their "hostess" program is like something out of the Roman empire, and it's not just for basketball and football... I know a couple guys that got recruited to play baseball there who can attest to that firsthand. It's kind of funny, the whole town puts on a show for visiting 17 year olds, from the coeds to the bar/club owners. Lord knows what happens when a 5-star DT comes to town.

The SEC is a fascinating land - epic, almost - but nobody plays by the rules.

HaveFunExpectToWin
09-10-2010, 04:24 PM
The SEC is a fascinating land - epic, almost - but nobody plays by the rules.

Vandy follows the rules, but it remains to be seen whether we're actually playing.

CameronBornAndBred
09-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Ouch.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/15137/tennessee-penalizes-bruce-pearl-staff

Double ouch..it goes beyond just Pearl, as it should.

Each of his three assistants also had their salaries docked and will be forbidden from recruiting off campus for anywhere from three months to a year.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Harsh-self-imposed-sanctions-suggest-Tennessee-f?urn=ncaab-268864

(By the way, unc, this is how you show the NCAA you mean business in your self policing.)

cspan37421
09-10-2010, 05:56 PM
This bums me out, because Bruce Pearl's boundless enthusiasm for UT has been terrific for interest in the basketball program. I'm sure many of you remember him going out to support the UT women with his shirt off and face/body paint. What other major program coach has had the chutzpah and school spirit to do that? He seems like a nice guy, self-effacing, funny, you name it. He can coach, too.

That he (apparently) didn't think all those great qualities were enough to compete in the SEC and NCAA just saddens me.

Kids must really value having a coach text them or call them all the time. Maybe they can boast to their friends about it. I do find it strange though that exceeding a given number of calls or text messages is now all it takes to bring a program down. Back in my day, it was cash busting out of a shipping box at a FedEx handling facility.

CameronBornAndBred
09-10-2010, 06:07 PM
This bums me out, because Bruce Pearl's boundless enthusiasm for UT has been terrific for interest in the basketball program. I'm sure many of you remember him going out to support the UT women with his shirt off and face/body paint. What other major program coach has had the chutzpah and school spirit to do that? He seems like a nice guy, self-effacing, funny, you name it. He can coach, too.

I'll agree with everything you said there. He's good for the game, he's fun to watch. He reminds me of Dick Vitale back when Dickie V was worth listening too. An over the top character that progressed his sport. The bright side in this scenario is that he is the one who turned himself in, unfortunately for him he lied first. Well, actually he lied second, he broke the rules first. I'm sure he realized that the truth would come out and that it would be better if he were the one to admit it. Bottom line though, he broke the rules.
I don't see how Mike Hamilton survives this one. The Vols were calling for his head when Kiffin split for USC, and the mess he made getting his replacement. He's had too many fiascoes under his watch to keep convincing his supporters that he's actually doing a decent job.

DevilHorns
09-11-2010, 12:25 AM
Wow, they're punishing tennessee... KY must have done something really terrible this time. :p

throatybeard
09-11-2010, 02:24 AM
In a related story:

Derek Dooley Cleans Up the Tennessee Football Program..Literally (http://lastangryfan.com/2010/09/derek-dooley-cleans-up-the-tennessee-football-program-literally/)

From the coach himself:

That's like taking Coach Wooden's sock regimen to a whole nother level.

RoyalBlue08
09-11-2010, 07:39 AM

That he (apparently) didn't think all those great qualities were enough to compete in the SEC and NCAA just saddens me.

Kids must really value having a coach text them or call them all the time. Maybe they can boast to their friends about it. I do find it strange though that exceeding a given number of calls or text messages is now all it takes to bring a program down. Back in my day, it was cash busting out of a shipping box at a FedEx handling facility.

This is the part I just don't understand. If I was a big time recruit with people calling all the time, the last thing I would want is a school calling me everyday. Offer me the scholarship, keep in touch from time to time, but other than that leave me in peace. At some point these coaches must sound like telemarketers. And I don't know too many people who are excited to receive their phone calls, even if they happen to want what the person is selling.

sagegrouse
09-11-2010, 08:33 AM
This bums me out, because Bruce Pearl's boundless enthusiasm for UT has been terrific for interest in the basketball program. ...............

I do find it strange though that exceeding a given number of calls or text messages is now all it takes to bring a program down. Back in my day, it was cash busting out of a shipping box at a FedEx handling facility.

"It isn't the crime; it's the coverup."

From ESPN article --

"The latest black eye for Tennessee came Friday when men's basketball coach Bruce Pearl acknowledged publicly that he gave misleading and incorrect information to the NCAA about possible violations during a 17-month investigation of his program."
Bruce Pearl got nailed for misleading NCAA investigators. He lied, and if it had been the FBI, he could go to jail."

sagegrouse

DukieInBrasil
09-11-2010, 08:52 AM
"Once two strangers climbed Ol' Rocky Top
Looking for a moonshine still.
Strangers ain't come down from Rocky Top
Guess they never will . . . ."
To get that true TN flavor you have to get the lyrics right. Them "strangers ain't come down from Rocky Top, reckon they never will..."

I knows cuz I growed up just over yonder hill from Knoxville ...

cspan37421
09-11-2010, 04:40 PM
"It isn't the crime; it's the coverup."

sagegrouse

Oh, I definitely agree. They were going to get slapped anyway for the calls and texts ... but the hammer of justice fell hard because of misleading the investigators.

I know there's a lot of feeling of schadenfreude because Pearl had ratted out recruiting violations before. But I can hardly rejoice - not because I pull for TN - I don't - but because that snickering represents "don't [mess] with the cheating culture; if you do, we'll look forward to celebrating your eventual downfall."

HaveFunExpectToWin
09-12-2010, 05:27 PM
I'll agree with everything you said there. He's good for the game, he's fun to watch.

Funny, I can't stand the guy. No one in the SEC besides Tennessee cares much for him either. I suppose he's one of those personalities that gets tedious the more contact you have with him. I like to think of Pearl as Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack without any of the endearing qualities.

JasonEvans
09-13-2010, 09:14 AM
Just wanted to point out that I LOVE THE IDEA that Pearl is giving back a hefty chunk of his salary as part of the punishment for this stuff. It is not like he will be going hungry, as he will still be making over a million a year - but this still comes off a bit like he is being fined $1.5 million dollars (or something like that).

If you want to really start making a dent in rules violations, hit coaches where it counts... in the wallet!

--Jason "in theory, I suppose Tenn could have fired Pearl which is why they had the leverage to redo his contract like this" Evans

BD80
09-14-2010, 11:43 PM
Bruce Pearl improperly hosted high school junior recruits at his home. The NCAA had a picture of the recruits in Pearl's house, which led to questioning of Pearl, and Pearl lied, denying they had been in his house.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/13947411/sources-exrecruit-craft-at-center-of-further-pearltennessee-ncaa-probe

His punishment for recruiting at home? A one year ban on recruiting on the road!

Jderf
09-15-2010, 12:03 AM
Bruce Pearl improperly hosted high school junior recruits at his home. The NCAA had a picture of the recruits in Pearl's house, which led to questioning of Pearl, and Pearl lied, denying they had been in his house.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/13947411/sources-exrecruit-craft-at-center-of-further-pearltennessee-ncaa-probe

His punishment for recruiting at home? A one year ban on recruiting on the road!

Interesting. They already knew that he had committed the violation, but inquired anyway just to see if he would lie? Is that a sting operation?

It's an opportunity for the NCAA to set an example, I suppose. Now, when the NCAA starts asking questions, the coaches won't know whether or not they've already been exposed.

BD80
09-15-2010, 12:44 PM
I had remembered Pearl was considered "the whistleblower," but there is an interesting twist to the story: the "whistleblowee" still maintains that Pearl blew the whistle to cover up his own wrongdoing:

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/Tennessee-coach-Bruce-Pearl-squirming-makes-former-rival-happy-091310

"The thing was that his allegations against me was to cover up what he was doing,” said Collins, who retired this past summer after a 14-year stint as the head coach at Illinois-Chicago. "It was documented and said by Deon Thomas’ grandmother that I didn’t do anything, but Bruce Pearl did.”

It was exactly 20 years ago when Pearl, then an assistant under Tom Davis at Iowa, tossed out the allegations [Illinois Assistant Jimmy] Collins had offered prized recruit Deon Thomas and his grandmother $80,000 and a new car.

Everywhere Collins went for two years, he was viewed as a cheater. ...

Finally, after two years, Collins was essentially cleared of any wrongdoing by the NCAA.

"But it’s not as if I was vindicated,” Collins said. "People would come up to me and say that I beat it. That’s prison talk for you having a good lawyer.”

Hmmm. This puts a whole new perspective on things for me. I had always thought that Illinois got nailed for the infraction. Didn't realize that Collins had been cleared.

Which brings us to the question: Why would Pearl suddenly start cheating now? Now that he has the big contract and security? It seems more likely to me that if he is willing to cheat (and lie about it) now, that he was willing to cheat (and lie about it) back when he was trying to "make it" in the business as an assstant at Iowa. Iowa was a good program, but they did have trouble bringing in a stream of top recruits.

SilkyJ
09-15-2010, 07:57 PM
If you want to really start making a dent in rules violations, hit coaches where it counts... in the wallet!

YESSSSSS

This is the ONLY way to stop the shady behavior and violations, punish the coach and do it with his pocketbook.

In most cases, the punishment ends up hurting the coaches/players who come in after the fact and had nothing to do with the original violation (see USC and Lane Kiffin -- not that I like Kiffin). And what happens to the coach? He gets a coaching gig in the Pros! (see Pete Carroll, Tim Floyd, Kelvin Sampson, etc.)

Jderf
10-22-2010, 10:43 AM
YESSSSSS

This is the ONLY way to stop the shady behavior and violations, punish the coach and do it with his pocketbook.

In most cases, the punishment ends up hurting the coaches/players who come in after the fact and had nothing to do with the original violation (see USC and Lane Kiffin -- not that I like Kiffin). And what happens to the coach? He gets a coaching gig in the Pros! (see Pete Carroll, Tim Floyd, Kelvin Sampson, etc.)

Details on Pearl's pay cut of $1.5 million. (http://www.rockytoptalk.com/2010/10/22/1767323/pat-summitt-does-not-say-non-employee-bruce-pearl-should-be-fired) (Scroll down to the second bullet.) It's also interesting that, technically speaking, he currently is "not exactly an employee of the university," in the words of the author. He has been working without a contract since Sept. 9, under a "letter of appointment." I agree that this is definitely an encouraging gesture from Pearl. I think it says a lot about his intentions and dedication to his program that he is willing to take a financial hit just to stay at the helm.

JasonEvans
10-22-2010, 11:33 AM
I think it says a lot about his intentions and dedication to his program that he is willing to take a financial hit just to stay at the helm.

Ummm, what choice does he have? He is a badly tainted coach who would likely have some trouble getting a job that paid him anything close to what Tenn is paying him. at this point, his choice is to get paid by Tennessee (at some still-to-be negotiated rate) or get paid nothing.

--Jason "I do love the precedent here of a school slapping a coach with a hefty pay cut for NCAA infractions" Evans

77devil
10-22-2010, 12:02 PM
YESSSSSS

In addition to fining coaches significant amounts, making other sanctions, such as loss of scholarships and post season penalties, follow them for the term imposed will make them less or unemployable for several years.

BD80
10-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Details on Pearl's pay cut of $1.5 million. (http://www.rockytoptalk.com/2010/10/22/1767323/pat-summitt-does-not-say-non-employee-bruce-pearl-should-be-fired) (Scroll down to the second bullet.) It's also interesting that, technically speaking, he currently is "not exactly an employee of the university," in the words of the author. He has been working without a contract since Sept. 9, under a "letter of appointment." I agree that this is definitely an encouraging gesture from Pearl. I think it says a lot about his intentions and dedication to his program that he is willing to take a financial hit just to stay at the helm.

Haven't seen this info posted.

Pearl knew he was breaking the rules by having recrits to his house for a bbq.

Pearl TOLD the recruits and their families that he was breaking the rules, thus causing the RECRUITS to also be in violation, and asked them not to say anything.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=5715172

The recruit that did choose UT is being held out of practice pending investigation.

Devil07
11-19-2010, 03:10 PM
The hits keep on coming for Pearl. Although the NCAA hasn't issued any ruling yet, the SEC commissioner has now suspended Pearl from coaching the team's first 8 SEC games. He's not even allowed to be in the building. This is on top of the university-issued pay cut and recruiting restriction. This is pretty interesting stuff, since this is the first time that the SEC commissioner has used his new power to suspend players and coaches. Needless to say, with a possible NCAA punishment still to come, things are not looking particularly good for Bruce.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5824966

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-19-2010, 03:19 PM
The hits keep on coming for Pearl. Although the NCAA hasn't issued any ruling yet, the SEC commissioner has now suspended Pearl from coaching the team's first 8 SEC games. He's not even allowed to be in the building. This is on top of the university-issued pay cut and recruiting restriction. This is pretty interesting stuff, since this is the first time that the SEC commissioner has used his new power to suspend players and coaches. Needless to say, with a possible NCAA punishment still to come, things are not looking particularly good for Bruce.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5824966

It's just shocking to me that he is still employed by the university. They're going to get nailed either way, but why continue to stand outside holding onto a flagpole in the middle of a thunderstorm?