PDA

View Full Version : May cut from Nets

dukelifer
09-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Looks like Sean May's NBA career may be approaching the end.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=5544369

He and McCants are struggling to make a team - mostly due to injuries and medical conditions. But they will always have that National Championship.

BD80
09-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Looks like Sean May's NBA career may be approaching the end.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=5544369

He and McCants are struggling to make a team - mostly due to injuries and medical conditions. But they will always have that National Championship.

The 6-foot-9, 266-pound May

Oh come on! Really?

Although this should temper the crap from unc about ol' roy preparing players for the pros, this news doesn't make me happy. Sean wasn't like many tar heels - he wasn't easy to despise. He should be financially set, and maybe this news will be a relief for him, he can stop chasing a goal he never seemed too interested in achieving.

SCMatt33
09-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Oh come on! Really?

Although this should temper the crap from unc about ol' roy preparing players for the pros, this news doesn't make me happy. Sean wasn't like many tar heels - he wasn't easy to despise. He should be financially set, and maybe this news will be a relief for him, he can stop chasing a goal he never seemed too interested in achieving.

Actually, 6-9 266 isn't that bad on it's own. For reference, Shelden is listed at 6-9 250 and Big Baby is 6-9 289, so there is room to get bigger even. What I'd be interested in seeing is his body fat percentage. It's probably through the roof for a pro athlete, at least one who isn't offensive lineman in the NFL or a sumo wrestler.

4decadedukie
09-08-2010, 03:35 PM
Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there a fellow named Zoubek who is still on the Nets' roster?
:D

BD80
09-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Actually, 6-9 266 isn't that bad on it's own. For reference, Shelden is listed at 6-9 250 and Big Baby is 6-9 289, so there is room to get bigger even. What I'd be interested in seeing is his body fat percentage. It's probably through the roof for a pro athlete, at least one who isn't offensive lineman in the NFL or a sumo wrestler.

Do you really think the 266 is accurate? I think Sean was 266 as a freshman - in high school.

Aren't they supposed to have somebody there to tell him to put BOTH feet on the scale?

Devilsfan
09-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Hard work and practice, practice, practice prepares you for the future. In Seans' case he's ready for any meal he sits down to.

SCMatt33
09-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Do you really think the 266 is accurate? I think Sean was 266 as a freshman - in high school.

Aren't they supposed to have somebody there to tell him to put BOTH feet on the scale?

I have no idea, There's not enough chance to ever see him on the court! And to be fair, putting both feet on the scale would cause him to be listed with too much weight since they couldn't get him to let go of the bucket of fried chicken.

DevilWearsPrada
09-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Sean May has always hung out more In Chapel Hill, than his resident NBA town. Eating and gaining weight. Perhaps, he never wanted a professional career, just the paychecks. Now, he can move back to the CH, and watch the Tarholes, all he wants too. Think he is thinking about European ball? Or KFC?

weezie
09-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Oh woe.

And still, our pals at the end of 15/501 still kid themselves about the Devils not having a legit presence in the NBA.
Whatevs. Somebody get Sean another plate of bbq and be quick about it.

billy
09-08-2010, 10:18 PM
May has suffered throughout his pro career, if not also during the latter part of his collegiate career, from knee injuries (similar to Greg Oden in nature; Kobe also had similar problems but has done quite well in comparison). I imagine this played a huge role in his relative lack of NBA success and probably also plays a role in his current fitness level. Prior to his injury, on the other hand,.....

http://www.nba.com/bobcats/may_surgery_071005.html

JasonEvans
09-08-2010, 10:48 PM
We can joke and kid about him (and I heartily approve of it), but it is worth noting that when that dude was healthy in college, he was a ridiculous beast inside. He had some of the softest hands I have ever seen on a big man and his basketball IQ (as shown by his ability to figure out where rebounds were going, grab them, and then quickly do something productive with them) was off the charts.

I have a hard time coming up with a big man who has punished Duke more than May did. I am sure someone will point out someone who was better at it, but it sure felt like May put up a HIGH double-double almost every time he came up against Duke.

--Jason "he apparently had soft hands at the buffet table too-- no question about that" Evans

OldPhiKap
09-08-2010, 11:04 PM
I have a hard time coming up with a big man who has punished Duke more than May did. I am sure someone will point out someone who was better at it, but it sure felt like May put up a HIGH double-double almost every time he came up against Duke.

Jameson comes to mind, as does Hansborough.

I hate to see anyone's career cut short by injuries, even a Heel.

to be honest, May was not one of my favorites though -- better than McCants, not as high on my chart as Felton. I seem to recall May catching fire for the last month of his college career, but otherwise being a somewhat inconsistent player. They all roll together, though.

juise
09-09-2010, 01:39 AM
Jameson comes to mind, as does Hansborough.

I'm too lazy to do all the research, but just comparing May's (final) junior year to Hansborough's senior year versus Duke, Hans averaged 17 and 10 while May put up 24.5 and 21. Yeah, I said 21. Keep in mind that May did this against Duke's all-time leading rebounder and shot blocker while Hans mostly played against lesser Duke bigs... though Hans did take it to Shelden on senior day in Cameron.

JohnGalt
09-09-2010, 06:31 AM
I'm too lazy to do all the research, but just comparing May's (final) junior year to Hansborough's senior year versus Duke, Hans averaged 17 and 10 while May put up 24.5 and 21. Yeah, I said 21. Keep in mind that May did this against Duke's all-time leading rebounder and shot blocker while Hans mostly played against lesser Duke bigs... though Hans did take it to Shelden on senior day in Cameron.

Reyshawn Terry - 6'8
Jawad Williams - 6'9 (a looong 6'9)
Marvin Williams - 6'9 (ditto above)

May benefited from the size around him in college more than a lot of people care to admit. The pros have simply exposed that.

We had Shelden and Shav...and an undersized McClure/Mel/Love...yikes.

juise
09-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Reyshawn Terry - 6'8
Jawad Williams - 6'9 (a looong 6'9)
Marvin Williams - 6'9 (ditto above)

May benefited from the size around him in college more than a lot of people care to admit. The pros have simply exposed that.

We had Shelden and Shav...and an undersized McClure/Mel/Love...yikes.

You could very well be making an excellent point (seriously), but I think I'm missing the implication.

Are you suggesting that May grabbed 42 boards in two games against Duke because Duke had to worry about the other UNC size on the floor? Were the Williams' long arms tipping a bunch of balls to him? ;) Was leaving him one-on-one with Duke's all-time leading rebounder a huge advantage for May?

cato
09-09-2010, 12:59 PM

The team benefited from the length around May, but May benefited from his exceptional positioning, agility/weight ratio, soft hands and lack of post defenders in college that could handle that combination. The pros have simply pounded him into submission.

Hansborough certainly got his own against Duke, but his role was not as decisive in his games against Duke as May's was.

MChambers
09-09-2010, 03:06 PM
You could very well be making an excellent point (seriously), but I think I'm missing the implication.

Are you suggesting that May grabbed 42 boards in two games against Duke because Duke had to worry about the other UNC size on the floor? Were the Williams' long arms tipping a bunch of balls to him? ;) Was leaving him one-on-one with Duke's all-time leading rebounder a huge advantage for May?

May's gravitational field pulled the ball to him. It should have been ruled an unfair advantage.

barjwr
09-09-2010, 05:50 PM
May's gravitational field pulled the ball to him. It should have been ruled an unfair advantage.

Awesome. Somewhere, Johannes Kepler is smiling.

hurleyfor3
09-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Awesome. Somewhere, Johannes Kepler is smiling.

Oh, so *that's* what's at the other focus.

Tappan Zee Devil
09-09-2010, 11:38 PM
Oh, so *that's* what's at the other focus.

Wow - that is subtle - especially if you are not a physicist

flyingdutchdevil
09-10-2010, 09:34 AM
I heard that May and Henson are testing out a new medical procedure where 90% of the calories that May ingests go to Henson's body weight...

JohnGalt
09-10-2010, 09:39 AM

I apologize for the ambiguity. I don't deny May's talent; I just think he benefited more than most were willing to admit from teams having to match up with Jawad and Marvin - and to a limited extent Terry - both of whom are matchup nightmares. As you mentioned, he must have (had?) quite an eye for the ball considering he did so well against Shelden, but he wasn't the dominant, game-changer many chose to label him.