PDA

View Full Version : Additional seating for Alabama game

jimsumner
09-07-2010, 06:14 PM
From Duke press release

"Duke Athletics will add eight sections of temporary bleachers totaling 3,904 seats for the Blue Devils’ matchup with Alabama on Saturday, Sept. 18 in Wallace Wade Stadium. Kickoff for the ABC-televised contest is set for 3:30 PM ET.

“This is a unique and exciting situation,” said Duke Vice President and Director of Athletics Kevin White. “Interest in Duke Football is as high as it has been in decades, which is a testament to the great work done by David Cutcliffe and his staff. Coupled with hosting the reigning national champion and No. 1 team in the country, it has created ticket demands that exceed the seating limits of Wallace Wade Stadium for this particular weekend. The appropriate response is to accommodate as many fans as we possibly can.”

The temporary sections will be on field level in the north (572 seats, all general admission) and south end zones (2,180 seats), as well as in six sections placed around the concourse level above sections 4, 5 and 7 on the east side and 21, 29 and 30 on the west side.

The official capacity of Wallace Wade Stadium is 33,941. With the additional seats, capacity for the Duke-Alabama contest will be 37,845. The normal allotment of 3,500 available for Duke students will be unaffected.

For all ticket inquiries, please visit www.GoDuke.com/tickets. "

OldPhiKap
09-07-2010, 06:40 PM
I'll be in the bleachers at the end of the horseshoe.

I hope the students are fired up for this -- we need a big and energetic contingent. There will be a heck of a lot of Bama fans there, and they are SEC hardcores. This is serious stuff.

Should be great!!!

roywhite
09-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Jim or others,

Does anyone recall the 1989 game vs NCSU in Durham as the Blue Devils went for the conference crown? If I recall, the attendance for that game was over 41,000. I was there, and off-hand don't recall any temporary seating. Was that just a matter of standing room, etc.?

Good win for the Blue Devils as Clarkston Hines came up big, as usual. The State QB threw 70 passes or some ridiculous number.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Jim or others,

Does anyone recall the 1989 game vs NCSU in Durham as the Blue Devils went for the conference crown? If I recall, the attendance for that game was over 41,000. I was there, and off-hand don't recall any temporary seating. Was that just a matter of standing room, etc.?

Good win for the Blue Devils as Clarkston Hines came up big, as usual. The State QB threw 70 passes or some ridiculous number.
The attendance was 41, 200.

94duke
09-08-2010, 09:13 AM
How has the capacity of Wallace Wade decreased?
Inquiring minds want to know?

sagegrouse
09-08-2010, 09:26 AM
How has the capacity of Wallace Wade decreased?
Inquiring minds want to know?

In my career at Duke, back in the day, the capacity of Wallace Wade was listed as 57,500. This was the attendance at the Rose Bowl in 1942. There were temporary bleachers everywhere -- including the endzone. There was an overhead shot of Duke Stadium during the Rose Bowl on the back of the matches available at the Dope Shop and elsewhere.

Even in my era 20 years later, the attendance was frequently above 40,000. There were temporary bleachers all across the top of the east side of Duke Stadium -- not possible now because of the large press box and sports medicine facility.

At some point the 40,00 seats in the concrete portion became 32,000. The obesity epidemic has apparently hit Duke as well.

sagegrouse

DukeUsul
09-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Here you can see what Wade looked like with the temp bleachers for the '42 Rose Bowl. Bleachers are around the top of the bowl (concourse), bottom (where the track is now) and end zone.

http://www.mmbolding.com/bowls/Rose423.jpg

94duke
09-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Here you can see what Wade looked like with the temp bleachers for the '42 Rose Bowl. Bleachers are around the top of the bowl (concourse), bottom (where the track is now) and end zone.

http://www.mmbolding.com/bowls/Rose423.jpg

Holy Cow! Look at all the people!

It's weird not seeing the track. Now I can see why some people advocate removing the track. On the other hand, I would miss it, because I like to run on it occasionally.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-08-2010, 09:41 AM
In my career at Duke, back in the day, the capacity of Wallace Wade was listed as 57,500. This was the attendance at the Rose Bowl in 1942. There were temporary bleachers everywhere -- including the endzone. There was an overhead shot of Duke Stadium during the Rose Bowl on the back of the matches available at the Dope Shop and elsewhere.

Even in my era 20 years later, the attendance was frequently above 40,000. There were temporary bleachers all across the top of the east side of Duke Stadium -- not possible now because of the large press box and sports medicine facility.

At some point the 40,00 seats in the concrete portion became 32,000. The obesity epidemic has apparently hit Duke as well.

sagegrouse

Compared to the personal space one is granted in Kenan, Wallace Wade is comfortable and easy to navigate. At Kenan the amount of space for one's feet is just that. If anyone needs to exit for food, the restroom, etc., the whole row must stand up. The person exiting has to walk out on top of the bleacher seats. And those seat backs over there are murder the way they apply the principle of "verticality."

It's hard to remember when the capacity of Wallace Wade changed, but it was probably when the "new" aluminum seats were installed replacing the tired and true wood with splinters bleachers. I suppose that decrease could be viewed as part of the change in attitude about supporting football program though it was portrayed as an improvement at the time.

CameronBornAndBred
09-08-2010, 01:35 PM
It's hard to remember when the capacity of Wallace Wade changed, but it was probably when the "new" aluminum seats were installed replacing the tired and true wood with splinters bleachers.
As a kid, I almost remember the splinters in my butt more than the games themselves.

DU82
09-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Compared to the personal space one is granted in Kenan, Wallace Wade is comfortable and easy to navigate. At Kenan the amount of space for one's feet is just that. If anyone needs to exit for food, the restroom, etc., the whole row must stand up. The person exiting has to walk out on top of the bleacher seats. And those seat backs over there are murder the way they apply the principle of "verticality."

It's hard to remember when the capacity of Wallace Wade changed, but it was probably when the "new" aluminum seats were installed replacing the tired and true wood with splinters bleachers. I suppose that decrease could be viewed as part of the change in attitude about supporting football program though it was portrayed as an improvement at the time.

Kenan's the reason I don't want backs added to the bleachers. The temp. seat cushions that are available, or ones that can be purchased (I got mine at the Duck Shop) don't take as much room as those awful (redundant, I know, given where they are) ones in Kenan.

The wooden bleachers were replaced in early 1979, if I remember correctly, the same year that the stadium concrete was repointed (which forced the removal of the old bleachers) and WW was painted beige instead of blue and white. I remember that because I only believe I helped paint DUMB's seating section once. (Officially to mark our space, unofficially to keep the splinters down.)

It was the stadium refurbishing that forced graduation to east campus. Fortunately (for me, at least) the graduation ceremonies were kept on East for years to come. Logistically a nightmare (especially if it rained), but a very nice setting.

I think that was the same time that the temporary bleachers came down, and that the sports medicine facility was built (or at least started.)

Reilly
09-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Wallace Wade was blue and white, not beige? Was that the concrete, the bleachers, or both? Any photos of that?

Bob Green
09-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Wallace Wade was blue and white, not beige? Was that the concrete, the bleachers, or both? Any photos of that?

The concrete was white and blue. The bleachers were the color of wood - old wood. :cool:

Faustus
09-08-2010, 10:30 PM
If I remember correctly, the blue (borders and edges) and white (rest of the concrete panels) paint scheme wasn't there for all that long. I think before 1970 or so it was just exposed concrete without any coloring (as always, I could be completely wrong). When I was there in the early 70s it was certainly blue and white, which added a nice touch I always thought, and I regretted the changing to a beige that had no connection or relevance at all. I wish they would bring back the blue/white scheme. I think it was in the 70s when they also painted the track records set and other historical events that took place down on the panels towards the visitors' "dressing room." Are they still there now?

roywhite
09-08-2010, 10:47 PM
If I remember correctly, the blue (borders and edges) and white (rest of the concrete panels) paint scheme wasn't there for all that long. I think before 1970 or so it was just exposed concrete without any coloring (as always, I could be completely wrong). When I was there in the early 70s it was certainly blue and white, which added a nice touch I always thought, and I regretted the changing to a beige that had no connection or relevance at all. I wish they would bring back the blue/white scheme. I think it was in the 70s when they also painted the track records set and other historical events that took place down on the panels towards the visitors' "dressing room." Are they still there now?

Yeah, I think you're right about the general time frame of the blue and white paint on portions of Wallace Wade Stadium. If I recall, it was actually the idea of a Duke Nursing student named Kathy Gracely, who I believe was Class of 1972. The blue and white scheme was a major improvement over unpainted concrete.

And, yes, I remember the track records being painted on the walls, though they've been gone for a good while.

uh_no
09-08-2010, 11:02 PM
Yeah, I think you're right about the general time frame of the blue and white paint on portions of Wallace Wade Stadium. If I recall, it was actually the idea of a Duke Nursing student named Kathy Gracely, who I believe was Class of 1972. The blue and white scheme was a major improvement over unpainted concrete.

And, yes, I remember the track records being painted on the walls, though they've been gone for a good while.

just a note: the bowl game panels have been removed....not sure if this is in prep for the temporary bleachers, but they weren't up for the last game.....

CameronBornAndBred
09-08-2010, 11:30 PM
just a note: the bowl game panels have been removed....not sure if this is in prep for the temporary bleachers, but they weren't up for the last game.....
I noted that too as I was sitting next to Devildeac..I asked what's missing? He didn't catch it at first, and I didn't notice myself until the second half. I doubt it's for the bleachers since they are gone from everywhere. I never minded them being there, but I'd like to see them promote more than academic achievement. (I know, that's pretty much all we've had to brag about lately, but Cutcliffe and the university is working in the right direction to change that!)

uh_no
09-09-2010, 08:30 AM
I noted that too as I was sitting next to Devildeac..I asked what's missing? He didn't catch it at first, and I didn't notice myself until the second half. I doubt it's for the bleachers since they are gone from everywhere. I never minded them being there, but I'd like to see them promote more than academic achievement. (I know, that's pretty much all we've had to brag about lately, but Cutcliffe and the university is working in the right direction to change that!)

Not being for the bleachers, my next two guesses were because they wanted to refurbish/change them....or cutcliffe wanted them down until the team could earn one of their own

mkline09
09-09-2010, 09:45 AM
Not being for the bleachers, my next two guesses were because they wanted to refurbish/change them....or cutcliffe wanted them down until the team could earn one of their own

I noticed that too around the second half. I thought about the Cutcliffe wanting them to earn something this my brother mentioned that since he is such a stickler for tradition and history that perhaps he wouldn't have done that. Could it be to go ahead and prepare for the potential additions planned last year. I know they were planning on adding permanent seating in the those areas and lowering the field (with the potential to remove the track althought that has not been discussed further and still is a contenious issue). At least that is what the schematics of the proposed designs had shown. Although I thought that was coming much later.