PDA

View Full Version : Football: Hard Hit Comics by Johnny Williams

Acymetric
09-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Saw this (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204987407) on goduke.com just now, looks pretty awesome. Apparently Johnny Williams will be doing a comic before each game, creating a graphic novel for the season. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this (for a sports team). This along with the design stuff Singler did makes it seem like Duke is opening up a lot of cool opportunities for student athletes to get some cool experiences outside of sports...I love it!

brevity
09-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Thanks for telling us. Mr. Williams is sharing his talent AND his insider's perspective. We've had Duke players provide in-season diaries before, but this is something extra.

Someone at Duke Stores should round up our artistically inclined student-athletes (in all sports, not just football and basketball) and have them contribute to a coffee table book. I think a lot of people here might consider buying one.

It's certainly the best idea to hit the coffee table book industry since this one (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmo_Kramer#Coffee_Table_Book_about_Coffee_Tables ).

1999ballboy
09-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Johnny Williams is a cornerback now?

Not a bad idea if it's true. We need more help at the corner than we do at receiver, especially after the departure of Leon Wright. Williams is one of our fastest players and I'm sure he'll still be returning kicks.

Those comics look pretty cool. I like the way he integrates his teammates into them.

Acymetric
09-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Johnny Williams is a cornerback now?

Not a bad idea if it's true. We need more help at the corner than we do at receiver, especially after the departure of Leon Wright. Williams is one of our fastest players and I'm sure he'll still be returning kicks.

Those comics look pretty cool. I like the way he integrates his teammates into them.

This happened months ago. During spring practice if I recall correctly...of course maybe I don't. There is potential for him to play some on the offensive side of the ball, but he has to "prove some things" to the staff first, which probably means he needs to show he has really learned the corner position before they let him slide back to the offense a few times a game. Can't wait to see how he looks at corner in about 4 hours!