PDA

View Full Version : minor knee surgery for Singler

markbdevil
09-03-2010, 04:42 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204987630

Sounds like he will be ready to go by the start of practice.

Greg_Newton
09-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Whoa. Has this been planned and I missed it?

For perspective, that's about the least invasive type of surgery you can do - arthroscopic is just a tiny incision, and cleaning out scar tissue doesn't cause any major disruptions like repairing a ligament or bone. I'd bet he'll be back to playing in 3-4 weeks.

It's never a good thing to have to miss training time with injuries though... here's hoping for a speedy recovery to stronger than he was before.

Poincaré
09-03-2010, 04:52 PM
We need to develop a system for thread titles that will not give readers heart attacks. Some of us are very fragile.

OldPhiKap
09-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Get some rest, Kyle. You've got a great year ahead of you!

cbnaylor
09-03-2010, 04:56 PM
We need to develop a system for thread titles that will not give readers heart attacks. Some of us are very fragile.

Agree. This heading needs to be changed. Sigh, I'm glad that it's nothing too serious.

roywhite
09-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Even a cyborg reguires occasional maintenance. Thank goodness the Duke Medical staff includes some trained micro-technicians and welders.

Mike Corey
09-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Gonna be just fine, not to worry.

CrazyNotCrazie
09-03-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm glad he will be back for the start of official practice, but missing pre-season "unofficial" workouts is not ideal. That is when a lot of chemistry develops, especially since we will have a number of freshmen, particularly a freshman PG. Don't worry - the sky is not falling and this could be much, much worse, but he will be missed.

Devilsfan
09-03-2010, 10:03 PM
"Minor" Surgery? Sounds like a "Minor" Stroke, which is what I had when I heard this today. There are some awful good players on Dukes' squad but there is NO replacement for Kyle Singler. He rates up there with the the best of the best all time Dukies, IMHO.

Greg_Newton
09-03-2010, 10:11 PM
"Minor" Surgery? Sounds like a "Minor" Stroke, which is what I had when I heard this today. There are some awful good players on Dukes' squad but there is NO replacement for Kyle Singler. He rates up there with the the best of the best all time Dukies, IMHO.

It really is a minor surgery though - it's really not even "knee surgery" in the traditional sense. It's not open surgery, and they don't mess with the structures, it's just going in through a tiny incision with a tiny camera and tool and getting some excess cartilage out of the way.

Here's a link to when a KU player had it done last summer, he was only out 2 1/2 weeks: http://www2.kusports.com/news/2009/jun/24/ku-freshman-elijah-johnson-undergoes-knee-scope/

basket1544
09-04-2010, 12:03 AM
I was in the midst of doing a major project at work when this email came across: "Duke Releases 2010-11 Schedule -- Kyle Singler Has Knee Surgery -- Is Austin Rivers Duke-Bound?" Needless to say, my project got put on hold while I freaked out and read the article. Sounds like it was routine and he should be fine. The best doctors are looking after him. Get better soon Kyle.

elvis14
09-04-2010, 01:16 AM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204987630

Sounds like he will be ready to go by the start of practice.

That had to be a really tough surgery for the Duke medical staff because last I checked Sinlger is Iron :D

Hope he has a speedy recovery and is ready to lead the team to greatness once again!

Mike Corey
09-04-2010, 09:52 AM
I'm glad he will be back for the start of official practice, but missing pre-season "unofficial" workouts is not ideal. That is when a lot of chemistry develops, especially since we will have a number of freshmen, particularly a freshman PG. Don't worry - the sky is not falling and this could be much, much worse, but he will be missed.

Kyle won't miss anything, he'll just be courtside rather than on the court.

Would it be ideal for him to not have required surgery? Absolutely. But this is a hiccup, not whooping cough; the season won't turn on this.

BD80
09-04-2010, 01:02 PM
That had to be a really tough surgery for the Duke medical staff because last I checked Sinlger is Iron :D ...

This was the first cooperative effort between Duke Hospital and the Harry Stamper Drilling Co.! (the best only because they work with the best)

Chill out dudes, this isn't Armageddon.

mgtr
09-04-2010, 01:06 PM
I guess it is a question of how you view the glass. With Singler in the game, he dominates the 4 spot -- both offense and defense. This may be a chance for the other bigs to get a little extra attention. Of course, no one wants Singler out for any period of time, just trying to find a rosy side.

Cameron
09-04-2010, 01:20 PM
I agree with those above. Opening this thread almost gave me coronary thrombosis, which wouldn't have been particularly ideal for me. Indeed, I'm overtly frail with regard to these types of situations.

Please work on your turn of phrase, sir.

:)

It is obviously encouraging to hear Kyle will only miss the "unofficial" workouts, but I'm now a little on edge thinking about the possibility of a post-surgery flair-up in the early season. Most of these torments are blunted by the fact that Duke's medical team is of world renown and class, however. We'll be fine. (The psychiatric team I keep on hand for in-season consult says positive thoughts beget positive feelings.)

Indoor66
09-04-2010, 01:41 PM
I am sure that many of us on this board can analyze, over-analyze, obsess and fixate on this until we are loony toons. Prepare the padded cells.

I imagine procedure was done to prevent flair-ups and future problems. IMO, it is something to let lie, heal and go away. :cool:

House G
09-05-2010, 12:34 PM

Definition of major surgery: any surgery done on me.
Definition of minor surgery: all other surgery.
:)

markbdevil
09-07-2010, 10:18 AM
I'll be more careful with the titles of my postings next time, sorry for any skipped heart beats, fainting, etc.............

Greg_Newton
09-17-2010, 01:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5582668

Krzyzewski said Final Four Most Outstanding Player Kyle Singler is recovering well from knee surgery earlier this month, saying that "if this was the season, he'd play today, but there's no reason to do that."

Sounds like Kyle's doing fine.

BTW, that's a great overall article on K. Definitely worth reading.

gumbomoop
09-17-2010, 01:53 PM
I guess it is a question of how you view the glass. With Singler in the game, he dominates the 4 spot -- both offense and defense. This may be a chance for the other bigs to get a little extra attention. Of course, no one wants Singler out for any period of time, just trying to find a rosy side.

Major props to mgtr for sneaking in this [bolded phrase] little gem, just as a throw-away line, which substantive point has, in other threads, led to fierce debate, verging on friendly fire and civil war.

Major, major props - not for the substance of the assertion, about which I will pretend to be agnostic - but just for the sly innocence of the line.

PADukeMom
09-17-2010, 02:04 PM
Way to give a Mom a heart attack!;)

BTW...anytime a scapel goes anywhere near one of our boys IS major surgery to me!

Heal quickly Kyle.

DevilHorns
09-23-2010, 08:44 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/15623/kyle-singler-tries-topping-injury-timetable

"The Duke All-American's arthroscopic procedure was sudden but minor, an attempt to clean out some of the wear and tear that was causing Singler discomfort last season, accoding to Duke assistant Steve Wojciechowski."

" The surgery went well, and as recently as last week, Coach K was saying encouraging things. Singler would be playing already if this were the season, his coach said, but the decision to keep him out until Oct. 1 was a simple matter of rest. In other words: no worries.

A week later, Singler is apparently feeling even better than that. To wit:
Two weeks removed from surgery to repair the meniscus in his left knee, Singler told Sporting News he is scheduled to return at the start of October. But, he added, "I might be back sooner than that, just because I'm itching to get back in there … I think I'll be playing in 5-6 days."

:o