PDA

View Full Version : Time-Warner adds ESPN3

Olympic Fan
09-03-2010, 11:08 AM
This came up in another thread, but I think it deserves its own. The new deal between Time-Warner and Disney will make ESPN3 available to all TW customers:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Time-Warner-Cable-gets-apf-1082294456.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=7&asset=&ccode=

It's a pretty big deal in that a lot of ACC sports will only be available on ESPN3 -- including the Duke-Elon game Saturday. That's the only Duke football game currently on the on-line site, but I'm sure that several of our later games will be there (right now, the Wake game is on Raycom, the Alabama game is ABC regional, and the Navy game is on CBS College Sports ... the other eight are unassigned).

Not as big a deal for basketball. Right now, it looks like the Colgate game is the only one on ESPN3. But several games are listed as Raycom -- I wonder if they will also be on ESPN3 so that people not in the ACC area can access them?

And what about Duke at Oregon? No TV at the moment -- I think that might be the first game in three years or so without TV of any kind. Could that be a late ESPN3.

loran16
09-03-2010, 11:42 AM
I checked this morning in my NYC Apartment with TWC, and I don't have ESPN3 yet. I'm hoping it'll be available for tomorrow's game, but i suspect they won't give access till next week.

Which sucks.

SCMatt33
09-03-2010, 12:23 PM
Not as big a deal for basketball. Right now, it looks like the Colgate game is the only one on ESPN3. But several games are listed as Raycom -- I wonder if they will also be on ESPN3 so that people not in the ACC area can access them?

And what about Duke at Oregon? No TV at the moment -- I think that might be the first game in three years or so without TV of any kind. Could that be a late ESPN3.

Where do you see several Raycom games for basketball? The only game that I see that is on Raycom only is the BC game. Last year, the NCST game was only on Raycom and they did put it on ESPN3, but I think it was blacked out in ACC markets where it was on TV.

As for Duke/Oregon, the .pdf schedule that Blue Planet put out listed it as TBD, not blank. I can't imagine that a non conference game between two BCS conference teams, even if one isn't that good, won't be picked up. I'm just speculating, but maybe there is a question as to who would get first rights to that game between ESPN and FSN since it is a ACC/Pac-10 game that doesn't fall under the umbrella of any official event and it is technically a neutral court game.

airowe
09-03-2010, 12:47 PM

Edited. I can't read...

RoyalBlue08
09-03-2010, 12:50 PM
YES!!!! This is going to be huge for countless basketball games this season too that start on espn3 while some other game on ESPN is running long.

Hyoster
09-03-2010, 12:57 PM
"The Ocho"

GopherBlue
09-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Any word on whether ESPN3 will be available to T-W Roadrunner ISP customers as part of this agreement?

mickeysgotagun
09-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Sweet, I was ecstatic to hear that Xbox LIVE streamed full hd college basketball on espn for free. Imagine my disappointment when I learned TW didn't have ESPN3. I know get to watch Kyrie break some ankles in full HD.

devil84
09-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Any word on whether ESPN3 will be available to T-W Roadrunner ISP customers as part of this agreement?

There's more info from Time Warner here (http://www.timewarnercable.com/nynj/about/inthenewsdetails.ashx?PRID=3004&MarketID=50). The relevant quote:
The addition of ESPN3.com, ESPN's live sports broadband network, which will be available to all Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks subscribers who get ESPN. ESPN3.com gives Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks fans a 24/7 online destination that delivers more than 3,500 live, global sports events annually as part of TV Everywhere. This addition also gives Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks the rights to feature cleared content from ESPN3.com on its sports tier.Also on that page (emphasis mine):
Expanded VOD services in many markets will include: ... Locally relevant sports content from ESPN in several Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks markets, including Los Angeles, New York, North and South Carolina, Tampa, Orlando, Texas and Ohio. This could be very promising...

airowe
09-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Unfortunately, ESPN3.com access likely will not be available fro this Saturday's game. You know what that means, come out to Wallace Wade!

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/business/snafu-may-block-live-online-access-to-ncsu-duke-games

jimsumner
09-03-2010, 04:25 PM
I'm hoping for MASN by the time Strasburg returns in 2012.

Greg_Newton
09-03-2010, 05:18 PM
If you're out of state and a TWC customer, it might be worth searching justintv.com on the day of the game for a stream. Can't promise anything, but it's probably your only shot at a video feed...

Bob Green
09-03-2010, 08:08 PM
If you're out of state and a TWC customer, it might be worth searching justintv.com on the day of the game for a stream. Can't promise anything, but it's probably your only shot at a video feed...

I watched a couple of times last season via justintv.com but I'm very happy right now because I just discovered my cable company/ISP here in Washington State (Comcast) provides access to ESPN3 so I will be able to watch the game tomorrow. I just watched a minute or two of the Villanova vs Temple game to test my ability to access ESPN3.

Greg_Newton
09-04-2010, 12:14 AM
I watched a couple of times last season via justintv.com but I'm very happy right now because I just discovered my cable company/ISP here in Washington State (Comcast) provides access to ESPN3 so I will be able to watch the game tomorrow. I just watched a minute or two of the Villanova vs Temple game to test my ability to access ESPN3.

Nice! One nice feature of ESPN3 compared to a streaming site like that (besides the improved feed and the reliable broadcasts) is that you can replay games later if, god forbid, you have other plans that take precedent at game time.

CameronBornAndBred
09-04-2010, 12:45 AM
Nice! One nice feature of ESPN3 compared to a streaming site like that (besides the improved feed and the reliable broadcasts) is that you can replay games later if, god forbid, you have other plans that take precedent at game time.
That's very cool..I didn't know that. I'll be at the game so wasn't worried about missing it, but that will be pretty cool to come home after my 3 hour drive back and get to experience it later. (As long as we win...)

burnspbesq
09-04-2010, 02:58 PM
I checked this morning in my NYC Apartment with TWC, and I don't have ESPN3 yet. I'm hoping it'll be available for tomorrow's game, but i suspect they won't give access till next week.

Which sucks.

I spoke to Time Warner earlier today. In SoCal, ESPN3 becomes available on September 18.

No TV for the Oregon game? Guess it's a good thing I am getting tickets.

HaveFunExpectToWin
09-04-2010, 07:03 PM
TWC customers are also getting an exclusive (along with Brighthouse) on the brand new ESPN Goal Line and ESPN Buzzer Beater channels. This sound pretty cool, think NFL Red Zone but for college football and basketball. The TWC people out here will have to let me how it looks.

SharkD
09-04-2010, 10:57 PM
"The Ocho"

We're nearly there, as it is:

ESPN
ESPN2
ESPNews
ESPN Classic
ESPNU
ESPN3

If you count ESPNplus, that makes 7.

moonpie23
09-04-2010, 11:03 PM
we got it in uverse......

it's not 360.com....had some issues with starting and stopping....

it's no slingbox either

MisterRoddy
09-04-2010, 11:06 PM
Anyone know if Comcast has any changes coming in the near future? These channels that are coming to TW are making me kind of jealous...

burnspbesq
09-05-2010, 08:26 AM
We're nearly there, as it is:

ESPN
ESPN2
ESPNews
ESPN Classic
ESPNU
ESPN3

If you count ESPNplus, that makes 7.

ESPN Deportes es el ocho.

CameronBornAndBred
09-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Anyone know when we'll (TW customers) will be able to watch it? I was hoping it would be an option by now, but it's not in their ISP list yet. Would like to watch the replay of the game.

Acymetric
09-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Anyone know when we'll (TW customers) will be able to watch it? I was hoping it would be an option by now, but it's not in their ISP list yet. Would like to watch the replay of the game.

I saw on another board (Devils Den I think) that someone had called Time Warner to ask and gotten an answer of September 18th, unfortunately. I don't really understand why it'll take that long, but that's what I've heard.

CameronBornAndBred
09-06-2010, 09:19 PM
The 18th? That sucks. We were thinking yesterday (too late) that we should have brought a VGA cable with us to the tailgate so the ones who elected to stay in the parking lot (it happens..folks don't want football interfering with their party!) could have still watched it through the netbook we had. We'll have it again for the Alabama game, can watch Duke beat up Elon at 9am while enjoying a bloody mary or mimosa.
http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/happy/bouncyblue.gif (http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/posting.php?mode=post&f=3#) http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/duke_bluedevil.gif (http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/posting.php?mode=post&f=3#)

wtm001
09-17-2010, 07:39 AM
Just letting everyone know that espn3 is now available!

DevilWolf
09-17-2010, 09:08 AM
Just letting everyone know that espn3 is now available!

I'm not seeing TWC in the dropdown when I go to sign in.

left_hook_lacey
09-17-2010, 10:52 AM

It's working for me. I've been checking everyday since this thread was started and it worked for the first time last night. I'm very excited.

muzikfrk75
09-17-2010, 12:16 PM

I'm not seeing TWC either.

wtm001
09-17-2010, 12:56 PM

I used to sign in everyday and click the drop box, but now I don't even get the drop box I just get a "watch now" button. I guess that's when you know it works.

Acymetric
09-17-2010, 01:04 PM
I used to sign in everyday and click the drop box, but now I don't even get the drop box I just get a "watch now" button. I guess that's when you know it works.

Have you actually tried to watch anything? I got the watch now button, but when I clicked on a game I wanted to replay it pulled up the dropdown box.

IBleedBlue
09-17-2010, 01:19 PM
May be I haven`t checked properly due to my travel but It`s not yet available in upstate NY. I live in Buffalo and have TW cable at home. Neither see TWC listed in the drop down nor taken to the watch now button.
Doesn`t matter...a Duke fan does what he gotta do...catch up on the games anyway he can... excited for football and basketball season...

ElSid
09-17-2010, 01:23 PM
May be I haven`t checked properly due to my travel but It`s not yet available in upstate NY. I live in Buffalo and have TW cable at home. Neither see TWC listed in the drop down nor taken to the watch now button.
Doesn`t matter...a Duke fan does what he gotta do...catch up on the games anyway he can... excited for football and basketball season...

I believe they said 9/18 was the first available date.

CameronBornAndBred
09-17-2010, 01:25 PM
It's not showing up for me here in eastern NC either. On top of that, ESPN3 has to be one of the most painfully slow sites I've encountered in a looooong time. It takes forever just to get to the drop down box, when I first open the page it's so slow that my browser is out of commission for a good 45 seconds...if I'm lucky. My DL speed is pretty fast, no other website acts as badly as espn3 does. :mad:

wtm001
09-17-2010, 03:39 PM
Have you actually tried to watch anything? I got the watch now button, but when I clicked on a game I wanted to replay it pulled up the dropdown box.

Early this morning I watched a reply of the UNC vs. Dayton game, but now I can't get it to work. I get the drop box asking me to choose my provider. I can confirm that it was working this morning though.

HaveFunExpectToWin
09-17-2010, 05:36 PM
It's not showing up for me here in eastern NC either. On top of that, ESPN3 has to be one of the most painfully slow sites I've encountered in a looooong time. It takes forever just to get to the drop down box, when I first open the page it's so slow that my browser is out of commission for a good 45 seconds...if I'm lucky. My DL speed is pretty fast, no other website acts as badly as espn3 does. :mad:

Never had any issues with ESPN3 (at least since it's been ESPN3 not 360). It's actually pretty zippy for having live video.

Bob Green
09-17-2010, 06:50 PM
Never had any issues with ESPN3 (at least since it's been ESPN3 not 360). It's actually pretty zippy for having live video.

I've become a huge fan of ESPN3 since I returned to the States from Japan. It has worked good for me the first two games of the season and I'll be watching the Alabama game via ESPN3 tomorrow. I like having one game on the computer and a second on the TV.

Tomorrow I'm going to kinda watch Nebraska whup up on Washington with my peripheral vision. All the locals around these parts think UDub QB Jake Locker is the best QB in the nation. Their obnoxiousness gets, well...obnoxious.

jhole
09-18-2010, 12:29 AM
I've become a huge fan of ESPN3 since I returned to the States from Japan. It has worked good for me the first two games of the season and I'll be watching the Alabama game via ESPN3 tomorrow. I like having one game on the computer and a second on the TV.

Tomorrow I'm going to kinda watch Nebraska whup up on Washington with my peripheral vision. All the locals around these parts think UDub QB Jake Locker is the best QB in the nation. Their obnoxiousness gets, well...obnoxious.

I think the real reason behind the post is Time Warner's new deal w/ ESPN and TWC customers, especially in the Carolinas gaining access to ESPN3.com. Is anyone on TWC in the Carolinas accessing ESPN3.com based on access via TWC? (versus your DSL provider or other affiliate)

Bob Green
09-18-2010, 12:12 PM
I downloaded Firefox a couple of days ago and just tried to open ESPN3 with Firefox and had no luck. It wouldn't work. So I closed Firefox and went back to Internet Explorer and ESPN3 is up and running fine. So anyone having difficulty watching ESPN3 might want to try a different browser to see if it makes a difference.

wtm001
09-18-2010, 01:51 PM
I downloaded Firefox a couple of days ago and just tried to open ESPN3 with Firefox and had no luck. It wouldn't work. So I closed Firefox and went back to Internet Explorer and ESPN3 is up and running fine. So anyone having difficulty watching ESPN3 might want to try a different browser to see if it makes a difference.

I just tried this and it didn't work. Has anyone else got this method to work?

-jk
09-18-2010, 02:04 PM
You might need to make sure Flash is installed for your browser and you enable popups for the site.

http://espn.go.com/espn3/faq

-jk

muzikfrk75
09-18-2010, 02:36 PM
It's still saying 'not available in your area' for Triad Time Warner.

34dukegal
09-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Same here in eastern carolina, still not available. :(

ricks68
09-18-2010, 07:26 PM
I have no problem getting ESPN3 on my computer. We do not have Time Warner here anymore in Houston. It's Comcast, and I have no idea if they will or will not add it. They made some changes a short time ago putting all the HD numbers together, but apparently screwed with the ESPN channels, and now I think we lost our somewhere. Anyone else know anything about this? Texdevil? Anyone?

ricks

Indoor66
09-18-2010, 08:45 PM
I have no problem getting ESPN3 on my computer. We do not have Time Warner here anymore in Houston. It's Comcast, and I have no idea if they will or will not add it. They made some changes a short time ago putting all the HD numbers together, but apparently screwed with the ESPN channels, and now I think we lost our somewhere. Anyone else know anything about this? Texdevil? Anyone?

ricks

I have Comcast in south Florida. I read, in my materials, that Comcast was adding ESPN3 system-wide. We got it here just after the first of this year. Don't know if that helps, but maybe you will have it when things settle.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-18-2010, 11:03 PM
Just tried this a minute ago. I got this

ESPN3.com is available at no charge to fans who receive their high-speed internet connection from an ESPN3.com affiliated internet service provider. ESPN3.com is also available to fans that access the internet from U.S. college campuses and U.S. military bases.
Your current computer network falls outside of these categories. Here’s how you can get access to ESPN3.com.
Please select your internet service provider from the list. If you can't find yours, select "Not Found" at the bottom.

I'm on TWC.

ricks68
09-19-2010, 12:57 AM
Oz,

I have ATT for my internet provider and have had no problem getting Espn3 by just going to Espn.com. I also have Comcast for my cable TV, but so far have not seen it in my channel selection. Interesting.

ricks

pfrduke
09-19-2010, 02:30 AM
Oz,

I have ATT for my internet provider and have had no problem getting Espn3 by just going to Espn.com. I also have Comcast for my cable TV, but so far have not seen it in my channel selection. Interesting.

ricks

Not sure if you're being facetious or not, but ESPN3 is online only. You won't see it on your TV channel selection.

ricks68
09-19-2010, 04:01 AM
Not sure if you're being facetious or not, but ESPN3 is online only. You won't see it on your TV channel selection.

No, I wasn't being facetious, I just thought there was also an actual espn3 on the TV, just like there is an Espn2. The way people have been talking around here, what with comments about getting it through Time Warner, I thought it was also being broadcast over cable to the TV.

ricks

jhole
09-19-2010, 06:55 PM
I think the real reason behind the post is Time Warner's new deal w/ ESPN and TWC customers, especially in the Carolinas gaining access to ESPN3.com. Is anyone on TWC in the Carolinas accessing ESPN3.com based on access via TWC? (versus your DSL provider or other affiliate)

To clarify my earlier post, the thrust of this thread is to understand when TWC "Internet" aka cable modem users will have access to ESPN3.com via the new agreement between ESPN and Time Warner. Those with internet access thru other cable providers, DSL, and the like may already have this as part of your agreement, but this is a new service for us.

In fact, I intend to call TWC on Monday and see what they have to say as the rumored date of the 18th has come and gone. Will post what they say...

cf-62
09-19-2010, 08:07 PM
To clarify my earlier post, the thrust of this thread is to understand when TWC "Internet" aka cable modem users will have access to ESPN3.com via the new agreement between ESPN and Time Warner. Those with internet access thru other cable providers, DSL, and the like may already have this as part of your agreement, but this is a new service for us.

In fact, I intend to call TWC on Monday and see what they have to say as the rumored date of the 18th has come and gone. Will post what they say...

I asked this question directly to TWC during the FIBA tournament. I wanted to watch the Russia game online.

The answer was "Yes, we have reached an agreement to allow our customers to access ESPN3, but there is no published date as to when it will be available."

HaveFunExpectToWin
09-19-2010, 09:27 PM
No, I wasn't being facetious, I just thought there was also an actual espn3 on the TV, just like there is an Espn2. The way people have been talking around here, what with comments about getting it through Time Warner, I thought it was also being broadcast over cable to the TV.

ricks

It might be helpful if everyone referred to it as espn3.com.

People are commenting about it b/c it is only recently that TWC and ESPN agreed to allow TWC Internet customers to access the website. Apparently, the agreement hasn't worked all the way down into actual access yet.

cf-62
09-19-2010, 09:38 PM
It might be helpful if everyone referred to it as espn3.com.

People are commenting about it b/c it is only recently that TWC and ESPN agreed to allow TWC Internet customers to access the website. Apparently, the agreement hasn't worked all the way down into actual access yet.

I don't toss around brand names willy nilly. I thought about whether to refer to it as espn3.com back when I first started writing about it.

Because ESPN 3 is ONLY available online, I will always refer to it as ESPN3. Not only is it catchy, but it is what it is - a channel only available over the net.

CameronBornAndBred
09-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Nice last entry on Wikipedia...

Time Warner Cable problem
On September 2, 2010, a deal was announced between Disney, parent company of ESPN, and Time Warner Cable (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Warner_Cable) to allow access to ESPN3 to all Road Runner High Speed Online (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_Runner_High_Speed_Online) customers who also subscribe to a Time Warner Cable package that includes ESPN.[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN3#cite_note-1)
As of September 20, 2010, Time Warner customers do not have access.

:mad:

RoyalBlue08
09-22-2010, 09:30 AM
Got an email from TWC today, and it says that ESPN3.com will be available "later in October". No definite date, but at least it is coming...

sagegrouse
09-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Got an email from TWC today, and it says that ESPN3.com will be available "later in October". No definite date, but at least it is coming...

My ISP here in the Rocky Mountains is the legendary Zirkel Wireless, a line-of-sight service named after the mountain range I am looking at right now.

How long do you think it will take the mountain men and women there to pony up for ESPN3?

sagegrouse

CameronBornAndBred
09-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Crapola..sounds like it will be Bob for me then when we head to Maryland. I noticed that in the wiki article I referenced above that they said this will "allow access to ESPN3 to all Road Runner High Speed Online (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_Runner_High_Speed_Online) customers who also subscribe to a Time Warner Cable package that includes ESPN". I wonder if I'll get the shaft..I only have their internet service, I have DirecTV for my TV.

UrinalCake
09-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Does anyone in the triangle have the new fiber-optic cable access through AT&T? There have been a few salesmen going door-to-door in my area and it sounds like a pretty good deal. For roughly the same price as TW, they claim much higher bandwidth (11Mbps) and a dedicated connection. Just curious if anyone could comment on the quality of the service, and whether it carries ESPN3.

94duke
09-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Does anyone in the triangle have the new fiber-optic cable access through AT&T? There have been a few salesmen going door-to-door in my area and it sounds like a pretty good deal. For roughly the same price as TW, they claim much higher bandwidth (11Mbps) and a dedicated connection. Just curious if anyone could comment on the quality of the service, and whether it carries ESPN3.

I wish. I live in Durham, so I'm stuck with Verizon for my hard-line phone service. I can't get AT&AT U-verse, and Verizon doesn't seem too interested in bringing FIOS to us.
As far as I can tell, I get to pick TWC cable modem or Verizon DSL.

I want FIOS!

(Grumble, grumble... stuck with TWC... Grumble.)

HaveFunExpectToWin
09-22-2010, 04:19 PM
I wish. I live in Durham, so I'm stuck with Verizon for my hard-line phone service. I can't get AT&AT U-verse, and Verizon doesn't seem too interested in bringing FIOS to us.
As far as I can tell, I get to pick TWC cable modem or Verizon DSL.

I want FIOS!

(Grumble, grumble... stuck with TWC... Grumble.)

Verizon sold the NC business as well as many other assets to Frontier last year. The deal closed on July 1st (http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/microsoft_news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=225702214&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_News) this year, so I'm pretty sure you're a Frontier customer now.

BTW, I work for VZ, but I'm speaking as myself.

moonpie23
09-22-2010, 04:27 PM

if they're really talking fiber optic, the speeds should be a lot higher than 11mbps....TW has a new 50/5 tier that they previewed in the charlotte area.....but that's still cable....

ATT uverse has a 24/3 service, but it's still 2-wire copper as well...

fiber should be talking 50mbps and up.....

HaveFunExpectToWin
09-22-2010, 04:33 PM

AT&T U-Verse has ESPN3.com, yes.

UrinalCake
09-23-2010, 06:36 AM
if they're really talking fiber optic, the speeds should be a lot higher than 11mbps....TW has a new 50/5 tier that they previewed in the charlotte area..... fiber should be talking 50mbps and up.....

What I saw was a tiered offering, and 11Mbps was right around the $50/month mark, which is what I'm paying for cable. There were some faster/pricier options too, but I don't think anything approached 50Mbps. Maybe it's only offered for business users?

With cable my actual measured download speeds are under 1Mbps.

moonpie23
09-23-2010, 10:31 PM
With cable my actual measured download speeds are under 1Mbps.

if you're on time warner and you're getting less than 1mbps, you should call and complain .....i think the lightest tier they offer is 3...........

make them give you what you're paying for...

and check your speed on an independent server...

www.speedtest.net

or

www.speakeasy.com

DukeUsul
09-23-2010, 11:07 PM
if they're really talking fiber optic, the speeds should be a lot higher than 11mbps....TW has a new 50/5 tier that they previewed in the charlotte area.....but that's still cable....

ATT uverse has a 24/3 service, but it's still 2-wire copper as well...

fiber should be talking 50mbps and up.....

I'd guess that 11 Mbps is one of the tiered offerings AT&T offers for their fiber service. I think they can go up to 24 or 32 MBps, but offer different levels to price discriminate. AT&T fiber typically doesn't get speeds as high Verizon, since from what I know Verizon is all fiber-to-the-premises whereas AT&T is mostly fiber-to-the-node.

moonpie23
09-23-2010, 11:48 PM
i think 24 is the max....that's what i've got.....and it is really about 20-22mbps.....but it's definitely kicking twc to the curb...

yeah, it's fiber to the node....2wire to the house...

UrinalCake
09-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Awesome, I think I'm ready to do it. Thanks for all the great advice.

-jk
09-24-2010, 11:10 AM
There's nothing inherently inferior with wire at internet speeds. Wire can carry Gbit speeds, but wire is more sensitive to distance than fiber. It's more about the infrastructure that backs it up - how fat the shared pipe is, how many neighbors you share the pipe with, and what you're all doing with that pipe.

I have Comcast cable and usually get download speeds (as measured by speakeasy) of 20 to 35 Mbps and upload almost always about 6. Apparently my neighbors download much more variably than they upload.

-jk

wtm001
10-19-2010, 12:04 AM
Looks like Time Warner will get ESPN3 this Monday October 25th.

http://consumerist.com/2010/10/time-warner-cable-customers-for-finally-get-espn3-access-next-monday.html

moonpie23
10-19-2010, 09:31 AM
T
I have Comcast cable and usually get download speeds (as measured by speakeasy) of 20 to 35 Mbps

-jk

what's your upload?

-jk
10-19-2010, 09:44 AM
what's your upload?

Pretty reliably 6 Mbps.

-jk

Scorp4me
10-19-2010, 10:18 AM
I know ESPN3 is predominately an online thing, but I watched the Duke/Miami game on TV Saturday. It was ESPN3 shown on some high channel, a channel 520 or something I believe. Some kind of special subscription channel, but we didn't pay for any special subscriptions we have just the basic. It was good coverage, although you could tell it wasn't quite right as they stayed with the video feeds and no audio during commercials. Much like listening to a race over a scanner. Perhaps this was just something they did locally since they don't have the online access part set up yet. But for those of you trashing the talk of ESPN3 on TV...might want to reconsider.

And just to pile on, my Road Runner Cable speeds are abysmal. Used to be good, wanna say they even upgraded to 5 Mbps a while back, but now routinely show less than 1 Mbps. Although of course I just tested it before posting this and of course my speeds are showing phenomenal right now, lol.

devil84
10-23-2010, 12:24 AM
I hope this is not news for Triangle TWC customers (and maybe other areas) waiting for access to ESPN3. You probably got the same email I got this afternoon with the subject, "Coming soon watch ESPN live online with Time Warner Cable." If your spouse gets the TWC email and isn't wanting to feed your sports addiction, or if you missed it, here's the scoop:

From your computer or laptop, watch ESPN live online at ESPNnetworks.com and catch more than 3,500 live sporting events on ESPN3.com. And it's free if you have ESPN with your Time Warner Cable video service. All you do is pre-register on TimeWarnerCable.com by clicking on MyServices. Sign up, log on--and you're tapped in, even when you're not in front of your TV."So, I dutifully logged on to MyServices (https://myservices.timewarnercable.com/)(which is a different password/user id than PayExpress, the master email account, the home page account, or the extra storage feature account *faint*). I looked around for the ESPN3 pre-registration. I saw how I can remotely program my DVR (cool, but a bit buggy), looked at My Internet features, perused the Home Phone and My Mobile pages (don't subscribe to those features), and went back to My Account. Nothing there says anything about pre-registering for ESPN3.

Then I used the Support Chat feature. The copyright notice on the transcript sent to me by email prevents me from publishing the conversation here, quite probably to protect TWC from the embarrassment of butchering the English language and restating the blatantly obvious (Me: "How do I pre-register for ESPN3?" Support: "So you want to pre-register for ESPN3?"). At any rate, if the support person is to be believed, all one needs to do is register for a TWC MyServices account. Apparently the MyServices userid/password will be used to access ESPN3. To restate: you're not pre-registering for ESPN, you're registering for your MyServices account. (Thanks for making that abundantly clear in your email, TWC!) Already have a MyServices account? Just logon to activate it (and don't expect any message of any kind about ESPN3).

Support assured me that "ESPN3 has not yet launched to Time Warner Cable customers, but we expect that this launch will occur very soon." Not soon enough, IMHO!

While you're (not so) patiently waiting for ESPN to become available, g'head and get your MyServices (https://myservices.timewarnercable.com/)username/password. And amuse yourself by attempting to remotely program your DVR. (If it works, lemme know and I'll try it again. It seemed to read my DVR just fine, but nothing was ever successfully written back to it.)

moonpie23
10-23-2010, 12:56 AM
Pretty reliably 6 Mbps.

-jk

that's pretty good.....TW is sposed to be dropping 50/5 in the triangle sometime in december....

muzikfrk75
10-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Just tested it on speedtest.net and it says 10.54 mbps, so I guess I'm good to go (I have Triad TWC).

moonpie23
10-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Just tested it on speedtest.net and it says 10.54 mbps, so I guess I'm good to go (I have Triad TWC).

that's about average for the regular TW....the turbo is about 12-14...

Kimist
10-23-2010, 05:07 PM
I hope this is not news for Triangle TWC customers (and maybe other areas) waiting for access to ESPN3. You probably got the same email I got this afternoon with the subject, "Coming soon watch ESPN live online with Time Warner Cable." If your spouse gets the TWC email and isn't wanting to feed your sports addiction, or if you missed it, here's the scoop:

Being a Triangle TWC customer - a question for you:

I do not have the Digital Service (upper channel is somewhere in the 70's) but I do, of course, receive ESPN & ESPN2. The HD broadcast channels I can view, but without upgrading (and paying ever more $$$ to TWC) I cannot receive their "free" HD services for things such as ESPN in HD.

So - will ESPN3 eventually become available to me, or is that another way TWC is forcing me into the higher charges area? :mad:

On a slightly different note: Several of my channels (I was bored the other day and was flipping through channels I hardly watch, such as E! and Oxy) now show a white screen saying that after Sept 30th I cannot watch such because "you will need digital cable ready equipment" to view them. What the heck - I'm paying for the channels, I'm receiving the channels, but there is nothing there now but a white screen with said message. Is this soon to be standard for all of their channels??

My TV is a recent model LG, and I can watch without problems the OVER THE AIR signals in HD that come from TWC. These would include 5-1 (WRAL), 4-1 (PBS), 11-1 (WTVD), etc. (I think the government requires TWC to provide them for "really" free.)

Do I need perhaps a cable card (why?) or is TWC further tightening the thumb screws to force me into paying more for my already over-priced service? And I assume the nice multi-function remote that came with my LG would then become an expensive paperweight with the TWC digital package in place?

Memo to self: Look further into AT&T U-verse !!

k

-jk
10-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Digital cable allows cable companies to send a lot more content down the same wire. Hence, cable companies are requiring you to get a digital converter box. Usually at no extra charge. It gives them more bandwidth to push HD content, so it's not an awful thing. Unless your equipment doesn't work any more. (I had to replace my Tivo.)

Call your local provider to see what's required.

-jk

devil84
10-24-2010, 12:22 AM
I do not have the Digital Service (upper channel is somewhere in the 70's) but I do, of course, receive ESPN & ESPN2. The HD broadcast channels I can view, but without upgrading (and paying ever more $$$ to TWC) I cannot receive their "free" HD services for things such as ESPN in HD.

So - will ESPN3 eventually become available to me, or is that another way TWC is forcing me into the higher charges area? :mad:

The way I understand it is that two conditions must be met to get access to ESPN3:
- Pay TWC for a cable package with ESPN
- Pay TWC for an Internet service (RoadRunner)
So if you also have RoadRunner, it sounds like you'll get ESPN3.

On a slightly different note: Several of my channels (I was bored the other day and was flipping through channels I hardly watch, such as E! and Oxy) now show a white screen saying that after Sept 30th I cannot watch such because "you will need digital cable ready equipment" to view them. What the heck - I'm paying for the channels, I'm receiving the channels, but there is nothing there now but a white screen with said message. Is this soon to be standard for all of their channels??

My TV is a recent model LG, and I can watch without problems the OVER THE AIR signals in HD that come from TWC. These would include 5-1 (WRAL), 4-1 (PBS), 11-1 (WTVD), etc. (I think the government requires TWC to provide them for "really" free.)

Do I need perhaps a cable card (why?) or is TWC further tightening the thumb screws to force me into paying more for my already over-priced service? And I assume the nice multi-function remote that came with my LG would then become an expensive paperweight with the TWC digital package in place?

Memo to self: Look further into AT&T U-verse !!

Like -jk said, you might simply need a free cable converter box. Call and ask them (or go to that MyServices page and chat with the technician 24/7 -- it's quite entertaining). Of course, I'm sure they have another "better" option for "only" $6.95 a month they'll try to peddle. It depends on the converter box, but I'll be that the fancy multi-function remote is rendered nearly useless, except for that ONE button you need infrequently when switching to the DVD player.

If you aren't currently locked into a rate plan and you think you're paying too much, call them and ask them if there's a better price. They'll likely offer a 2 year lock complete with early termination fee. I won't do it because I may want to switch to U-Verse whenever it's offered here, indicated by the fact that they recently dug up a portion of my front yard. Anyway, if you indicate that say you're opposed to a two year lock, the person you're talking to may agree with you, and will quickly re-figure the offer at a few dollars more per month to go for 1 year guarantee sans early termination fee. Saved me $30/month with just RoadRunner and the HD tier with an HD DVR just making the phone call.

Kimist
10-24-2010, 10:54 AM
The way I understand it is that two conditions must be met to get access to ESPN3:
- Pay TWC for a cable package with ESPN
- Pay TWC for an Internet service (RoadRunner)
So if you also have RoadRunner, it sounds like you'll get ESPN3.

Like -jk said, you might simply need a free cable converter box. Call and ask them (or go to that MyServices page and chat with the technician 24/7 -- it's quite entertaining). Of course, I'm sure they have another "better" option for "only" $6.95 a month they'll try to peddle. It depends on the converter box, but I'll be that the fancy multi-function remote is rendered nearly useless, except for that ONE button you need infrequently when switching to the DVD player.

FWIW - I can receive ESPN3.com on my computer. I do NOT have TWC RoadRunner (my inherent disdain for anything TWC related continues) hence I do not know how that plays out for any potential TV viewing.

As for the MyServices page of TWC, I went there and cannot access it because "at least IE 7.0 is required" to use it. Anyone care to guess what I am running? :) ("Goes to credibility, your honor...")

I understand about being able to force more info through digital vs analog, but would you not think that since I am receiving the HD channels (see original msg) that my LG TV is already capable of receiving such digital signals? The only alternative conclusion would be that I am somehow receiving limited HD broadcasts in an analog mode??

It almost looks as if TWC is forcing me to "rent a box" to watch any HD broadcasts (except local over the air HD stations they must transmit) on my HD TV, and now perhaps also forcing me into changing to RoadRunner so that I (might) be able to view ESPN3 on my TV. Does the word "monopoly" suddenly come to mind? :mad:

So, if I feel like talking with a TWC sales rep I guess that is my only viable option for now.

Thanks again!

k

moonpie23
10-24-2010, 12:23 PM
i've got RR turbo here at the studio and TWC is NOT showing up in the provider lists..

rather than actually call TWC, i'll just jab a stick in my eye.......it's a little less painful..

wtm001
10-24-2010, 03:05 PM
i've got RR turbo here at the studio and TWC is NOT showing up in the provider lists..

rather than actually call TWC, i'll just jab a stick in my eye.......it's a little less painful..

Yeah I don't believe its going to show up until its actually working (tomorrow)

muzikfrk75
10-25-2010, 01:09 AM
...I received the ESPN3 email from Time Warner tonight around 1230am. I registered for MyServices then went to espn3.com...still no luck. So I clicked on 'chat online', asked about the availability of 3 and he said it will be available by the first week of November.

*facepalm* then :( :mad:

Stay oblivious, Time Warner.

jhole
10-25-2010, 09:09 AM
I was able to successfully login to www.espnnetworks.com which seems to be a basic one channel ESPN feed for TWC customers. (probably setup to appease us until ESPN3.com is working) Of course espn3.com is the service we are really waiting and the email from TWC says "..Watch ESPN Online and ESPN3.com Now..". TWC is really trying my patience here...

basket1544
10-25-2010, 06:44 PM
I watched my first ESPN3.com sporting event today using TWC. It was a rewatch of a soccer game that aired yesterday but it worked. I can't wait to test a live show and will probably pick one of the first NBA games of the season this week to see how the connection speed is. A friend of mine tried to watch a football game on a similar feed and it was like watching pixels move because her internet speed was so sketchy.

muzikfrk75
10-25-2010, 11:36 PM
It's finally working for me.

ohioguy2
10-26-2010, 10:02 AM
Here in NW Ohio we are up and working.:D

jhole
10-26-2010, 11:10 PM
Here in NW Ohio we are up and working.:D

Here in NC, it's finally working. Just select from the drop down and use your TWC account login and you're good to go.

For those who care, we just did some analysis to live cable TV and the internet feed was around 10 seconds later on average. So, with live TV my ability to affect the game outcome could be a few pts less due to the latency. :)

CameronBornAndBred
10-27-2010, 12:42 AM
Here in NC, it's finally working. Just select from the drop down and use your TWC account login and you're good to go.

For those who care, we just did some analysis to live cable TV and the internet feed was around 10 seconds later on average. So, with live TV my ability to affect the game outcome could be a few pts less due to the latency. :)
If your game affection time is offset, all I can ask you do is to please turn off your computer and run to the nearest sports bar during the close ones.

killerleft
10-27-2010, 11:27 AM
I finally got on to ESPN 3 yesterday... because my part of Greensboro was one of the first to be offered AT&T Uverse!! Yahoo!

Anyone in GSO considering Uverse? I am very happy with it so far. Picture is excellent. My TimeWarner reception was never the best - lots of dropouts and annoying glitches - but I am saving a good bit of cash while getting lots of premium channels I never had before. I have the package that includes internet and phone. Plus the guide is far better, the box is the new Cisco one, and I can record twice the amount before having to delete something. The best things are sometimes the little things - when I change the channel it immediately changes. Sometimes TWC would take 2-4 seconds to change.

I've had two calls so far from TimeWarner offering to drop my rates, but I have no interest in even finding out what they would offer.

Stray Gator
10-27-2010, 12:39 PM
Still no access to ESPN3 through Brighthouse in Tampa. I called and was told that they now anticipate service starting the first week of November.

mickeysgotagun
10-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Not home right how but just wondering. If you don't have TW Cable T.V., but you have TW internet can you still watch espn related content?

CameronBornAndBred
10-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Not home right how but just wondering. If you don't have TW Cable T.V., but you have TW internet can you still watch espn related content?
I fit that scenario (I have DirecTV) and figured I'd be screwed..but I registered and logged in with success.

jhole
10-28-2010, 09:45 AM
Wondering if ESPN3 is the solution for when Duke is the 2nd game of the evening and the first game is still in progress when Duke starts? Frustrating missing 10+ minutes of a Duke game while waiting for Nowhere State to finish up...

noyac
10-28-2010, 09:49 AM
Wondering if ESPN3 is the solution for when Duke is the 2nd game of the evening and the first game is still in progress when Duke starts? Frustrating missing 10+ minutes of a Duke game while waiting for Nowhere State to finish up...

This is one of the few things that makes me angry. I get all amped to watch Duke and have to wait and miss %25 percent of the game.

I seem to remember last year they sometimes put the start of the game on ESPU or another ESPN family channel so perhaps they will make it available on ESPN3.

Acymetric
10-28-2010, 12:35 PM

This is one of the few things that makes me angry. I get all amped to watch Duke and have to wait and miss %25 percent of the game.

I seem to remember last year they sometimes put the start of the game on ESPU or another ESPN family channel so perhaps they will make it available on ESPN3.

If a game is on the ESPN family tv-wise my understanding is that it will be on ESPN3 automatically (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The only exception is if for some reason they blackout the Duke game on ESPN3 in your area...which happens in football for Raycom games which are on ESPN3 nationally but locally are blacked out because it is on the Raycom channel.

mickeysgotagun
10-29-2010, 10:08 PM
I created a login only to find that those that have TW internet but no TW T.V., cannot access ESPN3 or espnnetworks.

CameronBornAndBred
10-29-2010, 10:19 PM
I created a login only to find that those that have TW internet but no TW T.V., cannot access ESPN3 or espnnetworks.
i only have TW internet and no TV and my login works fine.

Edit...you scared me so I double checked...still works. whew.

msdukie
10-29-2010, 11:40 PM

YES, in fact ESPN3 doesn't wait for tipoff a few minutes after the hour, it starts the broadcast at the top of the hour so you get the full ESPN pregame coverage (for example, the ESPN3 feed will start at 9 for a 9:10 tip). And this year, ESPN3 seems to be in synch with ESPN (unlike the last couple of years), so when the game pops up on TV, you can pretty much seamlessly switch. Last year, there was about a 2 minute lag.

HaveFunExpectToWin
11-01-2010, 09:45 AM
For those with an Xbox 360, you can now watch ESPN3 on your TV via the Xbox. The fall update that was pushed today includes the new feature.

I don't think it helps much for basketball season as most of the Duke games are already broadcast, but in case you happen to follow other teams, it's a lot better than watching on a 15" laptop.

Stray Gator
11-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Just to update for anyone who might be interested in the progress in Central Florida, Bright House Tampa Bay sent out an e-mail message this weekend inviting subscribers to register for an account that would facilitate access to ESPN3, which the message said is "coming soon." Given the information I was provided last week that they expect service to begin in the first week of November, I'm hoping that we'll be able to connect here by this weekend.