PDA

View Full Version : Housing Market growth

DevilAlumna
05-31-2007, 07:22 PM
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Banking/HomebuyingGuide/HomePricesByCity.aspx?GT1=10020

Lists the top 200 housing markets in terms of first quarter growth.

I'm personally intrigued, b/c the state of Washington has 6 of the top 25 highest regions. Wenatchee is #1. (I was just camping there last weeked; I wouldn't mind a vacation home around there....) I really wonder what's keeping the Washington markets from stagnating like a lot of other areas of the country.

The Gordog
06-01-2007, 10:20 AM
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Banking/HomebuyingGuide/HomePricesByCity.aspx?GT1=10020

Lists the top 200 housing markets in terms of first quarter growth.

I'm personally intrigued, b/c the state of Washington has 6 of the top 25 highest regions. Wenatchee is #1. (I was just camping there last weeked; I wouldn't mind a vacation home around there....) I really wonder what's keeping the Washington markets from stagnating like a lot of other areas of the country.
These lists are so frustrating. If you live in a decent size city it's not nearly so uniform as all that.

Exiled_Devil
06-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Amen to that. I live in east Durham, and while cenral and southern Durham grew the last few years, we were flat ever since we bought the house in 2001.

The really frustrating part is seeing friends and fanily get 50%-100% (really!) increases on thier homes. We just hope we don't end up taking a loss.

Exiled

hc5duke
06-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Amen to that. I live in east Durham, and while cenral and southern Durham grew the last few years, we were flat ever since we bought the house in 2001.

The really frustrating part is seeing friends and fanily get 50%-100% (really!) increases on thier homes. We just hope we don't end up taking a loss.

Exiled

Hey, some of us (bay area) can't afford to buy houses you insensitive clod ;)

Clipsfan
06-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Even more so, some of us live in areas where even a starter home goes for close to a million $, which makes it fairly hard to start...

Exiled_Devil
06-01-2007, 11:34 PM
Hey, some of us (bay area) can't afford to buy houses you insensitive clod ;)

Thats what I remind myself of when I have concern about taking a loss on the house. I originally scoffed at the idea of our house as some speculative investment, but then after 5 years, I have been watching friends and family get insane returns. I am now reminding myself that the value of the house is in living in it, and if we make anything in the sale, it is gravy. We start building our dream house in about a year - I won't care about any appreciation on that, because we plan on living there or 30+ years.

Exiled