PDA

View Full Version : Red Means Go

Farlan
09-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Thanks for linking the article on Red Wilson on the front page! I still don't quite understand letting him go after he beat Carolina to finish 6-5 but I'm glad he enjoyed and was good at his job in the medical center. My favorite football slogan of all time – Red Means Go!

fishindevil
09-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Thanks to DBR for posting this link. I wish I still had my “Red Means Go” button. When I was 14, I spent 2 nights at Duke Hospital for a cardiac catheterization when this was not an outpatient procedure like today. I was nervous and scared, but not as much as my mom. Coach Wilson welcomed my family to the hospital and had us in his office to talk and help us all feel more comfortable. When he saw us in the lobby waiting for my room to be ready, he sat and continued to talk with us until it was time to go up. We talked about Duke football and how we thought he should have never lost his job. My family has always been huge Duke football fans and never missed a game so this was a great treat. He was a class act through the whole conversation. Whenever my family speaks of hospital stays we talk about Coach Wilson and how every hospital should have a man like him for the patients. Terry Sanford was a smart man but I believe moving Red to the hospital was suggested to him through a higher calling. Red Means Go!!

OZZIE4DUKE
09-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Thanks for linking the article on Red Wilson on the front page! I still don't quite understand letting him go after he beat Carolina to finish 6-5 but I'm glad he enjoyed and was good at his job in the medical center. My favorite football slogan of all time – Red Means Go!
Well, according to the widely circulated rumors at the time, the players had no respect for the man - during the halftime (?) pep talk during the carolina game the team was laughing at him. Steve Spurrier ran the offense, and the team, and when he left to become a head coach, the administration knew they had to make a change.

Red Wilson was a respected, successful coach at Elon. I don't know why he "lost" his players at Duke. The ensuing 25 years certainly didn't turn out the way we wanted for Duke Football.

Reilly
09-02-2010, 02:43 PM
What was the timing of Red being let go and SOS leaving (and subsequent hiring by the USFL)? I'd always assumed Red was let go in the Fall of 1982 shortly after the Carolina game. Was Spurrier already in line to be a USFL head coach before the end of Duke's season? Or was Red fired, and then Spurrier went looking/USFL came calling?

OZZIE4DUKE
09-02-2010, 03:10 PM
What was the timing of Red being let go and SOS leaving (and subsequent hiring by the USFL)? I'd always assumed Red was let go in the Fall of 1982 shortly after the Carolina game. Was Spurrier already in line to be a USFL head coach before the end of Duke's season? Or was Red fired, and then Spurrier went looking/USFL came calling?
I think that it was known Spurrier was leaving before Wilson was fired, but I don't have first hand knowledge of that nor do I remember the exact time line I wasn't privy to...

tommy
09-02-2010, 03:47 PM

And I remember one of the most painful headlines I've read, from the Chronicle the day after the firing: "Red Means Gone!" Ugh.

killerleft
09-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Well, according to the widely circulated rumors at the time, the players had no respect for the man - during the halftime (?) pep talk during the carolina game the team was laughing at him. Steve Spurrier ran the offense, and the team, and when he left to become a head coach, the administration knew they had to make a change.

Red Wilson was a respected, successful coach at Elon. I don't know why he "lost" his players at Duke. The ensuing 25 years certainly didn't turn out the way we wanted for Duke Football.

Ozzie, I have no inside knowledge about the players laughing at Red Wilson. I do know that several of the trustees didn't like Red's "folksy" image, especially during the Football tv show.

But I would guess that these rumors came from some folks who didn't want to look bad for firing a successful coach because of his image. For me, it would be surprising to find out that a man who succeeded at every other coaching job (high school legend, Elon winner, Duke winning records) all of a sudden lost his touch and became laughable to his players. His subsequent Duke Hospital stint only reinforces my point.

It would be very enlightening if any former Wilson-coached players from that era would help to clarify this issue. I've always felt that Duke made a large mistake when they let Red go.

Also, I find it fascinating that David Cutcliffe, who uses an "ole ball coach" approach just like Red Wilson, is seen very differently today. I do grant that Cut is more polished in front of the camera than Red was.

Kewlswim
09-02-2010, 07:18 PM

Hi Ozzie,

The rumor I often heard was that although Duke hadn't been hit with any violations Mr. Butters feared we were headed that way. I also heard a few people say Red was about as smart as an ash tray. (Ouch). Maybe Mr. Butters also felt he wasn't bright enough to lead Duke football?

I never met him, but Red seems like a nice enough fellow. Nobody said that one has to be a rocket scientist to coach football.

GO DUKE!

Reilly
09-02-2010, 10:52 PM
I think that it was known Spurrier was leaving before Wilson was fired, but I don't have first hand knowledge of that nor do I remember the exact time line I wasn't privy to...

That's interesting. You are right on the timing. Spurrier's official bio on the USC site says he was hired in TBay on November 22, 1982 .... that's two days after the season-ending UNC win. Too bad the 'coach in waiting' thing wasn't in vogue then .... give Red a year or two more and let SOS then take over ....