PDA

View Full Version : Israel Gutiierrez Column

jammsb
09-02-2010, 06:31 AM
I googled the quote from Israel Gutierrez column critical of Coach K and the Duke program that was on the front page. In the various readers' responses to the column there is mention made of Elton Brand's criticism of the university and its students. Is this true? If so, I had no idea that he felt that way. I was always of the opinion that he left because he was ready for the NBA, with the blessing of Coach K who concurred with his decision. What happened?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-02-2010, 08:16 AM
I googled the quote from Israel Gutierrez column critical of Coach K and the Duke program that was on the front page. In the various readers' responses to the column there is mention made of Elton Brand's criticism of the university and its students. Is this true? If so, I had no idea that he felt that way. I was always of the opinion that he left because he was ready for the NBA, with the blessing of Coach K who concurred with his decision. What happened?

Well, here's a trashy summary (http://sportsbybrooks.com/elton-brand-beat-down-silver-spooned-duke-alum-in-leaving-durham-early-for-nba-13059) of some details, but I think that it's blown way out of proportion, or at the very least, it's water under the bridge. It sounds like the product of one bitter, out-of-line student, and a very frustrated reaction of a 20 year old kid who has made his decision.

Brand has been present at many Duke functions and still speaks very highly of the Duke program and Coach K (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5244171). K has reiterated his support of Brand's decision in recent years too - not surprising considering the amount of success Brand had immediately in the NBA.

Anyway, that's the long and the short of it. In the future, when you are referring to an article by someone that you find is controversial, please attempt to link to it (or at least check the spelling of the author's name - oops!). I did a Google search for "Israel Gutierrez" and "duke hate" and came up with so many links I simply discredited the article and didn't want to give him more hits.

Hope this is helpful.

jammsb
09-02-2010, 08:27 AM
Well, here's a trashy summary (http://sportsbybrooks.com/elton-brand-beat-down-silver-spooned-duke-alum-in-leaving-durham-early-for-nba-13059) of some details, but I think that it's blown way out of proportion, or at the very least, it's water under the bridge. It sounds like the product of one bitter, out-of-line student, and a very frustrated reaction of a 20 year old kid who has made his decision.

Brand has been present at many Duke functions and still speaks very highly of the Duke program and Coach K (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5244171). K has reiterated his support of Brand's decision in recent years too - not surprising considering the amount of success Brand had immediately in the NBA.

Anyway, that's the long and the short of it. In the future, when you are referring to an article by someone that you find is controversial, please attempt to link to it. I did a Google search for "Israel Guttierrez" and "duke hate" and came up with so many links I simply discredited the article and didn't want to give him more hits.

Hope this is helpful.

I'm sorry I didn't attach a link. Believe it or not I have no idea of how to do so. I guess its time for this 69 year old geriatric to learn. I accessed the column by googling "Israel Gutierrez column critical of Duke Basketball'Thanks for the response.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-02-2010, 08:31 AM
No worries at all. This new interface takes some time to figure out.

Long and the short of it though - evaluate your sources. I've now been reading up on this Gutierrez and he sounds like a real piece of work.

JBDuke
09-02-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm gonna go ahead and close this thread. This is old news that Duke haters love to keep alive, and us doing so won't serve any purpose, now that folks have the info.

BTW, nice job, Mountain Devil, on your post.

This thread is CLOSED.