PDA

View Full Version : No EA Sports NCAA College Basketball this year?!?!

DeBlueDevil
09-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Ok so call me a nerd but every year I look forward to playing EA Sports NCAA College Basketball during the season on whatever system xbox, ps3, etc. So I found out today that they will not be making a game this year. Even worst EA Sports competitor 2K will not be making a college game either. I don't know about all of you but I am VERY upset!!!

It sucks that this has to happen the year after we won the NCAA championship and we have numerous great recruits and newcomers to our team. Kinda just ruined a tradition for me. Anyways, I was just wondering if this upset anyone else as much as it did me? Anyone know the reason for this? Sigh.....:(

strawbs
09-01-2010, 10:31 PM
I in no way mean to come off as a jerk, but this is pretty old news. Like you though, it really disappoints me that there won't be a college basketball game this year. After 2k8, 2k couldn't afford to pay for the license so they stopped making a college hoops game. I assume the reason EA isn't making a game anymore is because they neglected their college hoops series, continuously put out very flawed games, and didn't make nearly enough money to justify keeping the series going. Hopefully 2k will jump back in here in the near future and make a game again, because 2k8 was one of the best basketball games of all time.

Lord Ash
09-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Man... amazingly, I hadn't put two and two together and realized that we would miss our title game!

Damn. That sucks.

I still play 2k7 religiously.

strawbs
09-01-2010, 10:40 PM
ya it would be awesome to play with with kyrie, nolan, kyle, seth, etc... This would be a great duke team to play with on a video game too, since they will be so uptempo, talented, and deep in real life.
To let you all know how big of a nerd I am, I loved the 2k series and owned every version of the game on ps2 and then ps3. I really wish they would start up this franchise again.

magjayran
09-02-2010, 09:31 AM
I still think that College Hoops 2k8 is the greatest basketball game ever made. I think the combination of poor sales and the potential flood of lawsuits coming into EA for using player's likenesses proved to be the downfall. They'll probably keep running with the NCAA football game as it's still a big money maker but it's not worth it for the basketball games anymore. For what it's worth, I generally think the EA versions of college basketball have been garbage.

dukeballboy88
09-02-2010, 09:43 AM
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/jryansmith45/24554_539476649009_169803239_314500.jpg

bubbbabubbabbbbawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

uh_no
09-02-2010, 10:11 AM
I in no way mean to come off as a jerk, but this is pretty old news. Like you though, it really disappoints me that there won't be a college basketball game this year. After 2k8, 2k couldn't afford to pay for the license so they stopped making a college hoops game. I assume the reason EA isn't making a game anymore is because they neglected their college hoops series, continuously put out very flawed games, and didn't make nearly enough money to justify keeping the series going. Hopefully 2k will jump back in here in the near future and make a game again, because 2k8 was one of the best basketball games of all time.

College video games just don't sell enough to justify the huge cost of the licensing agreement

DeBlueDevil
09-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Yea I def understand the reasons given for not continuing to produce the game but it just is disappointing. My thing is..don't they make enough money between madden and the college fball games. I mean to me the sales can't be that different from those of the college football game. Ohh well I just think the whole thing is stupid.

OldPhiKap
09-02-2010, 11:46 AM
I don't think they could program how alarmingly unathletic we were.

What if you built a game, and Duke always lost to Baylor?

Plus, Zoub's beard cannot be pixilated. It's like a law of nature or something.

(In all seriousness, it is too bad that the franchise is being discontinued for the time being -- hope they revive it for our NC in 2011. Kyrie no-look to Kyle in the post, lay off to Nolan swooping down the lane -- that would be groovy).

left_hook_lacey
09-02-2010, 12:58 PM
I don't quite understand this either and I think it is definitely a legal issue somewhere. 2k had already abandoned its college basketball series, so one would think EA would love to jump on that and pick up at least a percentage of those sales since it would be the only game in the market. Instead, it closes its NCAA March Madness series only a year later. I understand its a slow economy so consumers are cutting back, but that doesn't stop EA from spitting out some crap Shaun White Snowboarding game what seems like every 6 months.

Not sure if it relates, but EA is being sued in a class-action lawsuit brought up by scorned gamers who say they were forced into buying Madden NFL games after 2005 because EA signed exclusive rights with the NFL. This left 2k sports(which was kicking EA's but with its $19.99 NFL game) out in the cold with "no other reputable football league" to make a competitive game. (EA also signed rights with Arena Football and NCAA football the same year).

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/3226.html

I could see EA being a little cautious of another lawsuit in the NCAA basketball series if it had signed exclusive rights to NCAA basketball like it did with football, but it didn't. 2k closed it's own doors on its NCAA basketball series.

Very strange indeed.

DeBlueDevil
09-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Yea the whole thing is annoying...all probably boils down to $$$. It sucks because you can't even enjoy playing a good ole' video game now a days without the "business" side of things getting in the way. I'm sure it'll get resolved in the future one way or another but it's just such bad timing for Duke fans...so I was a little frustrated. Thanks for the feedback!

RelativeWays
09-02-2010, 05:56 PM
College video games just don't sell enough to justify the huge cost of the licensing agreement

College basketball you mean. The NCAA football games still make bank every year and always top the July NPD sales charts. This year's is very good and they finally added the Duke bluedevil as a playable mascot (he looks like a mix between the old and new mascots). Des Scott is a beast in the game BTW.

As far as 2K8 goes, you can always download current rosters and have accurate teams. It only stinks when your team has players with last names that aren't in, like Plumlee, for example.

Lord Ash
09-02-2010, 06:39 PM
ya it would be awesome to play with with kyrie, nolan, kyle, seth, etc... This would be a great duke team to play with on a video game too, since they will be so uptempo, talented, and deep in real life.
To let you all know how big of a nerd I am, I loved the 2k series and owned every version of the game on ps2 and then ps3. I really wish they would start up this franchise again.

You can easily do this; just make the team each year.

I've got this years Carolina team (Barnes KILLS me every time) and Duke team all done... I could actually use some help with NC State and Maryland, I don't know their rosters to save my life!:(

If anyone wants to do a quick chime-in on their main rosters, that would actually be REALLY appreciate... you know, something like...

Kyle Singer, SF, 6'8, good shooter and rebounder, not a huge post defender. Maybe 90 overall.

That sort of thing?:)

Duke: A Dynasty
09-02-2010, 10:03 PM
i have 2k8 as well cause i heard so many good things about it. well ive been playing it some what and dont understand it. EAs college games were simple to understand. like y do i have to play a game first once i put the game in? i know i could just exit but its inconvienent. and the whole college season on there takes forever.

Lord Ash
09-02-2010, 10:54 PM
i have 2k8 as well cause i heard so many good things about it. well ive been playing it some what and dont understand it. EAs college games were simple to understand. like y do i have to play a game first once i put the game in? i know i could just exit but its inconvienent. and the whole college season on there takes forever.

Try doing 15 seasons, without a single sim in the bunch. Now THAT takes a while.

Or four years, to be more precise.

Go Shane State Defenders!

Son of Mojo
09-02-2010, 10:59 PM
To ask a follow up from what was mentioned earlier--when does the EA/Madden contract end? 2K5 was by far the most fun I had playing a football game since Tecmo but, obviously, much more realistic. Is there hope that when the exclusivity contract with the NFL ends that 2K could put out another NFL game? As far as the NCAA hoops line, 2K7 with JJ on the cover was the only one I had gotten (on PS2 before I picked up a PS3) and it still plays well for me (particularly with our classic teams--if only it could've had more teams in that path, including more classic Duke teams, of course).

09-07-2010, 04:54 PM
also have another question. y is it 2k u cant edit teams? like the players on them and their attributes? or am i missing somthing

Lord Ash
09-07-2010, 05:43 PM
You can; go to manage rosters or something like that.

blueduke59
09-07-2010, 09:09 PM

You'll still be able to do this. All you'll need is a roster update. There's a few guys who post at operationsports.com that creates rosters every year all with the player's correct names, attributes, etc. Last season's rosters are there now. This coming season will be no different

gwwilburn
09-07-2010, 09:40 PM
I still think that College Hoops 2k8 is the greatest basketball game ever made. I think the combination of poor sales and the potential flood of lawsuits coming into EA for using player's likenesses proved to be the downfall. They'll probably keep running with the NCAA football game as it's still a big money maker but it's not worth it for the basketball games anymore. For what it's worth, I generally think the EA versions of college basketball have been garbage.

I agree 100%. After the 2k series was canceled, I stuck with 2K8 and ignored the crap EA churned out, and I'm still more bummed about the lack of a 2k9 than I am about EA's somewhat recent cancellation. Sadly to say, I, like you, do not see either franchise returning too soon.

dukeblue1206
09-07-2010, 10:55 PM
They are fail to meet the standards of the greatest of all time...Coach K College Basketball for the Sega Genesis...And you could break the backboard!!

Scorp4me
09-08-2010, 10:29 AM
They are fail to meet the standards of the greatest of all time...Coach K College Basketball for the Sega Genesis...And you could break the backboard!!

That was a surprisingly realistic game I thought. Only problem I had with it was once you got a lead the other team would start making 3's like no body's business if you didn't stay right on top of them. But there were quite a few options that allowed for alot of fun. I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic or not, but I do still occasionally pull that out and play it. At least as much as any of the other new college basketball games.

Of course I don't have any of the 2K ones and only have some of the EA ones, which as most have pointed out are decidely low quality. It is a shame that the business side screws up the simple enjoyment of a video game.

dukeblue1206
09-08-2010, 11:36 AM
That was a surprisingly realistic game I thought. Only problem I had with it was once you got a lead the other team would start making 3's like no body's business if you didn't stay right on top of them. But there were quite a few options that allowed for alot of fun. I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic or not, but I do still occasionally pull that out and play it. At least as much as any of the other new college basketball games.

Of course I don't have any of the 2K ones and only have some of the EA ones, which as most have pointed out are decidely low quality. It is a shame that the business side screws up the simple enjoyment of a video game.

Not being sarcastic. For its time it was one of the best sports games IMO and being that it had Coach K on it made it even better for me as a Duke fan. If I still had a Genesis I would still play it from time to time as well.

And yes the 2k versions of college basketball were head and shoulders about what EA has put out recently. I played the EA College Basketball form this past season and it was worse then what was being put out in the Genesis days. It was horrible.

09-21-2010, 09:55 PM
You can; go to manage rosters or something like that.

I cant. Ive tried. I want to get rid of everyone who has graduated and add the new guys on the team but their is no option for deleting old players or even changing their names

cbnaylor
09-21-2010, 10:17 PM
I cant. Ive tried. I want to get rid of everyone who has graduated and add the new guys on the team but their is no option for deleting old players or even changing their names

I've already completed Duke's roster for this year. I've posted a thread on Operation sports for those who would like to help make the full roster. I will cover the ACC. As for deleting players, you are correct. You are not allowed to delete players but what you do is take the Seniors which were Thomas and Zoubek and change them into Singler and Smith. For instances, Dawkins took the spot of Miles which was a soph. last year. By doing this, I was able to put Irving in Dawkins place as a Fresh.

09-21-2010, 10:22 PM
I've already completed Duke's roster for this year. I've posted a thread on Operation sports for those who would like to help make the full roster. I will cover the ACC. As for deleting players, you are correct. You are not allowed to delete players but what you do is take the Seniors which were Thomas and Zoubek and change them into Singler and Smith. For instances, Dawkins took the spot of Miles which was a soph. last year. By doing this, I was able to put Irving in Dawkins place as a Fresh.

ok ill give it another shot then. is there a way to get around that annoying start up game you have to at least load up and then quit b4 doing anything else?

Lord Ash
09-22-2010, 06:51 AM
A report from my own recent game of March Madness 2k7... it is part of a six game series I am playing of Wake, NC State, UNC, and Duke doing home and homes... I am calling it the Carolina challenge.

Anyway, thought folks might enjoy the work I put into it:D

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/6787/espn2h.jpg

cbnaylor
09-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Nice write up. Just curious, how did you rate Irving?

09-22-2010, 02:15 PM

could you post a direct link to it? i went to look and their were way too many to look through.

cbnaylor
09-22-2010, 04:56 PM
Yeah I sure will once I get the rest of the ACC complete. All I got to say is playing with Curry and Irving is a lot of fun. I didn't make either one ridiculously awesome either.

Lord Ash
09-22-2010, 05:29 PM
Nice write up. Just curious, how did you rate Irving?

Irving is rather high... I think he is a 90 or something. Fast, top ball handling and layups, excellent shooting, above average defense, excellent potential, average rebounding and post defense and offense for a guard.

I hope folks appreciate that fake ESPN story, that took a bit of time to do!:D

Duke of Nashville
09-22-2010, 05:41 PM
Irving is rather high... I think he is a 90 or something. Fast, top ball handling and layups, excellent shooting, above average defense, excellent potential, average rebounding and post defense and offense for a guard.

Not gonna lie, that was pretty sweet. I expect the game at the Dean Dome to be very competitive... pending sprained ankles from the Jordan brand shoes and players that have been thrown under the bus during the season by Ol' Roy.

Lord Ash
09-22-2010, 08:03 PM
Glad you enjoyed! It took two or three hours to do, and I couldn't find the right font, but still... afraid people won't see it because they don't click on a video game thread, but what can you do:(

And the game itself was pretty crazy... my favorite is at the end, the bit about Barnes scoring to put UNC up 4 with under a minute... he actually did a little animated "arm in the air" thing at the crowd and lost Ryan Kelly, who he was guarding, who then scored... somehow it just felt very right:)

09-22-2010, 10:33 PM

90 is really high for freshmen to be honest. i think Durant and Beasley were both like 84 or 85. usualy really good seniors that are on there get high 80's hansborough (dont think i spelled that correct) had an 80. and if irving has a 90 what is Barnes who is rated better? or singler? smith? O and that ESPN thing was fricking awesome!!!! loved it plllzzzz do more

cbnaylor
09-22-2010, 11:37 PM
I have Kyrie at 84.
Barnes at 87.
Singler at 90.
Nolan at 89.

09-22-2010, 11:39 PM
I have Kyrie at 84.
Barnes at 87.
Singler at 90.
Nolan at 89.

yea that sounds just about right. mayb take an overall point away from barnes or give one to irving. but im fine with it like this to i guess. i have kyrie at 85 myself with singler at 89 and nolan 88

cbnaylor
09-22-2010, 11:43 PM
Yeah, I thought about bring Barnes down one more point...but it's hard trying to find where that weak spot would be. Any suggestions? Blocks.

09-23-2010, 12:24 AM
Yeah, I thought about bring Barnes down one more point...but it's hard trying to find where that weak spot would be. Any suggestions? Blocks.

hmm id say something on defense yes. most college freshmen need work on it so why not.

09-27-2010, 01:15 AM
well i created my Duke roster and let me know what you think:
Pg: KI- 85
Sg: Nolan- 88
Sf: Singler- 89
Pf: Mi Plumlee- 80
C: Ma Plumlee- 79

Pg: Curry- 79
Sg: Dawkins- 78
Pf: Kelly- 78
Pf: Hairston- 75
Pg: Thornton- 72

and i didnt put the walk on guys

cbnaylor
09-28-2010, 09:15 AM
I don't know if you guys have heard, but EA is not going to release NBA Elite now due to the fact that they feel the game is not where they want it to be. Therefore, they are going to update the rosters for free for those who have NBA Live 10.

Now, if we could only get them to do the same thing for NCAA 10!

dukeballboy88
09-28-2010, 10:22 AM
hey guys, this is kind of off topic but im having problems with my ps3 freezing and its really frustrating. i just paid to get it fixed from the yellow light of death and now this. do you guys have any solution to this problem?

aro24
09-28-2010, 10:26 AM
Ok...so now that 2K sports and EA Sports are not putting out a college basketball game, is anyone? Has anybody heard anything? I am so disappointed in EA Sports...I have every March Madness game, dating back to the ones on PS1...it was the one thing I knew I was getting for Christmas every year...now what will I do?

ARo24

Lord Ash
09-28-2010, 11:05 AM
As far as I know there will be no college basketball game this year.

cbnaylor
09-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Ok...so now that 2K sports and EA Sports are not putting out a college basketball game, is anyone? Has anybody heard anything? I am so disappointed in EA Sports...I have every March Madness game, dating back to the ones on PS1...it was the one thing I knew I was getting for Christmas every year...now what will I do?

ARo24

Nope, the only hope that we could have is EA updates the game for us which I highly doubt unless more people complain or someone does the roster themselves.

10-08-2010, 09:30 PM

could you give a direct link? There are way too many threads on there to look through

blueduke59
10-09-2010, 07:15 AM
could you give a direct link? There are way too many threads on there to look through

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/ea-sports-ncaa-basketball-rosters/444284-ncaa-11-roster.html

Don't think they've completed rosters for all teams yet but when they do it will be in the above thread