PDA

View Full Version : HUGE night for Marty Pocius

hotbutteredseoul
08-31-2010, 04:09 PM
I don't know how many people caught the Spain-Lithuania game, but Marty P was amazing for Lithuania. He played really tough D against Rubio, Navarro, and Fernandez. He even switched up on a PnR and guarded Marc Gasol for a play (smartly, Marty just fouled him immediately). On offense, Marty took it hard to the hole in the fourth and hit a huge step-back three to tie the game. Ended up with 13 points (second on the team behind Kleiza) and a TON of crunch time minutes. Impressive, impressive game. We will probably see a lot of Marty through the rest of the tournament.

juise
08-31-2010, 04:15 PM
I was just about to post about this. Way to go, Marty!

roywhite
08-31-2010, 04:41 PM
An important detail---Lithuania beat Spain.

Congrats to Marty and his teammates (http://www.fiba.com//pages/eng/fe/10/fwcm/p/eid/4728/gid/9/grid/D/rid/6944/sid/4728/game.html)

dukelifer
08-31-2010, 04:49 PM
An important detail---Lithuania beat Spain.

Congrats to Marty and his teammates (http://www.fiba.com//pages/eng/fe/10/fwcm/p/eid/4728/gid/9/grid/D/rid/6944/sid/4728/game.html)

Marty gave up his last year and got a great year of experience allowing him to play in the WC and Duke won a NC despite being thin at guard. looks like everyone came out okay. Spain could be in trouble with two L's.

Bluedog
08-31-2010, 04:54 PM
Wow, great game by Marty! Awesome! Most likely, Spain will finish third in the group, setting up a second round matchup with the US (assuming we finish first in our group). Quite early to be getting them, but, as they say, thems the breaks. And who knows, maybe Spain will lose to Canada... ;)

Trooper
08-31-2010, 05:25 PM
Wow, great game by Marty! Awesome! Most likely, Spain will finish third in the group, setting up a second round matchup with the US (assuming we finish first in our group). Quite early to be getting them, but, as they say, thems the breaks. And who knows, maybe Spain will lose to Canada... ;)

It's possible Spain doesn't even make it to us. With Greece's loss to Turkey today, it's very likely that Spain and Greece will meet in the round of 16 with the winner playing the U.S. in the quarterfinals. That's a nightmare for all three teams, but especially Greece and Spain.

It turns out that the best outcome for the U.S. was probably to drop that game vs. Brazil from a pure bracket perspective...

A-Tex Devil
08-31-2010, 05:30 PM
I don't think I care when we play any team. If it's win gold or fail, we are going to have to play a good team like Spain at some point. If a silver medal is as good as last place, does it matter if it is in the quarters or the finals?

SCMatt33
08-31-2010, 06:31 PM
I don't know how many people caught the Spain-Lithuania game, but Marty P was amazing for Lithuania. He played really tough D against Rubio, Navarro, and Fernandez. He even switched up on a PnR and guarded Marc Gasol for a play (smartly, Marty just fouled him immediately). On offense, Marty took it hard to the hole in the fourth and hit a huge step-back three to tie the game. Ended up with 13 points (second on the team behind Kleiza) and a TON of crunch time minutes. Impressive, impressive game. We will probably see a lot of Marty through the rest of the tournament.

I don't believe you! Marty doesn't foul!!!

Seriously, great to see him doing so well, especially on defense. I still wonder how good Marty could have been for us if he had fit into the defensive scheme better here. He often showed flashes of his offensive brilliance, but couldn't quite put it together.

OldPhiKap
08-31-2010, 06:43 PM
I always pulled for Marty and am glad he is doing well. As someone else pointed out above, it seems to have worked well for all parties concerned. Not often you can say that. (Maybe Billy McCaffrey was the last one -- we went on to win again in '92, and he had a very good career at Vandy).

RoyalBlue08
08-31-2010, 10:11 PM
Yes, I am also glad that Marty is doing well in Europe, and wish him nothing but continued success. Seemed like a great kid, and it was unfortunate that he couldn't get more playing time while here. But it seems like he might the right move for his career.

DukieInBrasil
09-01-2010, 04:30 PM
It turns out that the best outcome for the U.S. was probably to drop that game vs. Brazil from a pure bracket perspective...

The best option is never ever to play to lose. Always play to win.

I'm pleased that Marty is playing an important role on his national team, doing things there that he ended up not doing very well at Duke, like defending some really good guards, hitting big time 3s and, at least stats wise, playing a nice all-around game.

MChambers
09-01-2010, 05:16 PM
The best option is never ever to play to lose. Always play to win.

I'm pleased that Marty is playing an important role on his national team, doing things there that he ended up not doing very well at Duke, like defending some really good guards, hitting big time 3s and, at least stats wise, playing a nice all-around game.

Nice video of Marty dunking on NZ:

http://wn.com/Martynas_Pocius_putback_dunk_vs_New_Zealand

BD80
09-01-2010, 05:25 PM
I always pulled for Marty and am glad he is doing well. As someone else pointed out above, it seems to have worked well for all parties concerned. ...

But did he make as much as a pro in Europe as he would have if he had played as a graduate student at, say, Kentucky?

roywhite
09-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Marty gave up his last year and got a great year of experience allowing him to play in the WC and Duke won a NC despite being thin at guard. looks like everyone came out okay. Spain could be in trouble with two L's.

We sometimes forget that Marty Pocius, Gerald Henderson, and Elliot Williams all could have played on the 2009-10 Duke team. If one or more had played, it's very unlikely that Andre Dawkins would have enrolled early.

I have a feeling that any change in personnel, or in the cosmic order of things in general, would not have led to the ultimate outcome of a National Championship. What a ride, and what a blessing.

DevilWearsPrada
09-01-2010, 11:42 PM
Congratulations to Marty!! Marty never got the playing time, I thought he deserved. He was a very nice young man. Would see Marty and his gf, Tara out at restaurants, quite often. I wish him all the best!!! Just not againest the USA team, of course.

hq2
09-03-2010, 12:39 PM
I always wished he could have played more at Duke. He was a decent offensive player who seemed to have trouble with D. He actually had a few good games, here and there, where he showed flashes, but K never had the kind of confidence in him to play him a lot. Glad he's doing better overseas.

DBFAN
09-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Way to go Marty, glad he is getting a chance to continue playing, always seemed like a real good kid. My wife was the real sad one when he left, cause she did not get a chance to seem him 3 times a week in the winter!:rolleyes: