PDA

View Full Version : The schedule - Where is it?

jammsb
08-30-2010, 05:34 AM
It seems that each year the announcement of the men's basketball schedule comes a little later. September starts on Wednesday and this year's schedule has yet to be posted. I find it hard to believe that it hasn't been decided upon yet.

jimsumner
08-30-2010, 09:04 AM
My understanding is that the ACC is taking a tad longer than usual to finalize their end of the deal.

94duke
08-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Does the new TV contract start this year?
Could that be the reason for the delay of the release of the ACC schedule?

Duvall
08-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Does the new TV contract start this year?
Could that be the reason for the delay of the release of the ACC schedule?

No. The new TV deal starts next year. Next season.

hughesmiester
08-30-2010, 10:16 AM
This is KILLING me. I am traveling to NC for work (live in Boston) and want to base my schedule around a few weeks where Duke is playing home games. I can't keep pushing this off much longer, ahhhhhhh!

PDDuke85
08-30-2010, 01:17 PM
The ACC mens basketball schedule has been held up pending the decision by UNC as to whether or not to accept an open arms invitation to join the SEC
:cool:

coopagrl
08-30-2010, 01:52 PM
@hughesmiester

Good times to come down are Nov 14-19th, Dec 1st, Dec 8-11th, Jan 2-9th, Feb 5-9th, and Feb 20-23rd.

hughesmiester
08-31-2010, 05:28 PM
@coopagirl

I appreciate it, but what are you basing those dates on? Just from years based a best estimate or what? I really do thank you though because I need to schedule ASAP.

Bob Green
08-31-2010, 05:36 PM
@coopagirl

I appreciate it, but what are you basing those dates on? Just from years based a best estimate or what? I really do thank you though because I need to schedule ASAP.

Even though the entire official schedule hasn't been released, many of the games/dates are already known. I suggest you checkout this thread:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?21940-2010-2011-Men-s-Basketball-Schedule-From-Ticket-Order

hughesmiester
08-31-2010, 06:13 PM
Even though the entire official schedule hasn't been released, many of the games/dates are already known. I suggest you checkout this thread:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?21940-2010-2011-Men-s-Basketball-Schedule-From-Ticket-Order

Thanks Bob, but I had seen that earlier. She had listed a few games that didn't have any dates listed there so I was curious if I had missed something or not.

airowe
09-01-2010, 08:12 AM
Its Lebron's fault we've had wait so long, but the schedule comes out today or tomorrow: http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/09/01/658117/scheduling-acc-hoops-a-long-process.html

SCMatt33
09-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Its Lebron's fault we've had wait so long, but the schedule comes out today or tomorrow: http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/09/01/658117/scheduling-acc-hoops-a-long-process.html

That was really interesting to see how it is done. One of the hidden benefits (hopefully) of the new ESPN deal is that the TV part of that process gets streamlined a little. ESPN will just take what it wants and leave the scraps to be picked up.

airowe
09-01-2010, 12:21 PM
That was really interesting to see how it is done. One of the hidden benefits (hopefully) of the new ESPN deal is that the TV part of that process gets streamlined a little. ESPN will just take what it wants and leave the scraps to be picked up.

Word from Pickeral via Twitter that we'll get the full schedule tomorrow afternoon...

GODUKEGO
09-01-2010, 02:03 PM
But the Devils will be highlighted in Blacksburg on Feb. 26th.

http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/2010/08/2011-schedule-for-expanded-basketball-college-gameday/

GODUKEGO
09-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Disappointed to see Maryland at Cameron on Januaury 9th when the students are still on break. Classes start on Wednesday January 12th.

http://www.theacc.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/acc/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/1011teamschedules

SCMatt33
09-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Disappointed to see Maryland at Cameron on Januaury 9th when the students are still on break. Classes start on Wednesday January 12th.

http://www.theacc.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/acc/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/1011teamschedules

We could have seen that coming. The Maryland game was listed as the next game after the Jan-5 UAB game on the ticket order form that was posted before. Just lucky that it is the Sunday night game and not Saturday. I just checked, the dorms are scheduled to be open that day, so students can still show up without having to worry about staying with someone. Still sucks a little though.

There are actually some very nice things to see in this schedule, both Duke's doing and the ACC's. First, Duke has no 1 day turnaround games during the ACC season and the only ones all year are the first two games at home vs. Princeton and Miami(OH) on Sunday/Tues and the CBE semis/finals on back to back days. Last year, the ACC made us travel to Boston on one day of rest after a home game against Gtech. Not saying that it was the reason for a lackluster game in Chestnut Hill, but not having those can't hurt.

Also, there is little ridiculous back and forth travel in a short time. Last year, partly by our own doing, we played in Durham, then Chicago, then Atlanta within 7 days. This year we will have a tough non-conference stretch going from KC to Portland to Durham to NJ in 12 days, but we chose the time and place of three of those games and the fourth is a home ACC/BigTen game, so you can't complain about it. In the conference Schedule, we only play consecutive road games twice. Once within the state against Wake and NCST. The other is Miami followed by UVA after two days off. It's not ideal travel, but also not the heavy hitters of the conference.

Overall, I think the ACC gave us a pretty fair schedule. Besides, who cares when the MD game is since their not even our rivals;)

One last thing, two games are listed on the Go Duke schedule as ESPN/ESPN2, the home NCST game and the road UVA game. The Blue Planet schedule lists both as ESPN. Is this just flexible scheduling by the TV folks so they have an option for two games and they can put the more interesting one on ESPN and the other on ESPN2?

jimsumner
09-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Every year we complain about quick-turnaround-games. Thursday at 9, followed by Saturday at noon. Sunday night followed by Tuesday night.

Excluding the O'Reilly Tournament, those games are conspiciously absent.

Also, no more than two consecutive true road games.

This ain't bad, folks.

SilkyJ
09-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Would appreciate the Outlook/CSV schedule whenever someone has it available.

SCACCHoops.com usually has it, but its not up there yet. I imagine it will be shortly.

Biscuit King
09-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Can anyone else remember a schedule with so many games starting at 8pm ET or later? I count TWELVE of these games.

I guess I am turning into an old man, but I hate late tipoffs. Makes it hard to get up in the morning for work, and even harder to go out to watch the game with friends.

pfrduke
09-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Can anyone else remember a schedule with so many games starting at 8pm ET or later? I count TWELVE of these games.

I guess I am turning into an old man, but I hate late tipoffs. Makes it hard to get up in the morning for work, and even harder to go out to watch the game with friends.

Move to the West Coast, and all your problems will be solved. ;)

SCMatt33
09-02-2010, 06:36 PM

It's just a combination of things. First, I think 8 isn't the best cutoff time to use. We have several games every year that tip at 7:45 or 7:30, and I don't see much of a difference in that half hour. If you look at 9:00 games, we have 7/8 this year depending on whether we beat Marquette. Last year we had 8. Of those, we actually have 1 less 9:00 ACC tip, thanks to the second UNC game being pushed up to 8, when it had been 9 in recent years. Both seasons have a post 9PM ACC/BigTen game.

The 8/8:30 games are interesting. We only had 1 such game last year, one of the Sunday night games, which gave us 9 overall 8 or later starts. The extra 3 come in the CBE, against Colgate, and UNC. The CBE is a midwest tournament, so its unsurprising that they would want the second tip so late to avoid a third place game that tips at 4:30 local time on a weekday. We had 3 CBS games both last year and this year, but they are experimenting by showing Duke/UNC in primetime, which explains the second extra one. I have no idea why the Colgate game is at 8:30, but its not on TV anyway, so you don't have to worry about missing a chance to go see it with friends.

At the end of the day, I think its just a quirk in the schedule, especially the 8/8:30 games.

pfrduke
09-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Would appreciate the Outlook/CSV schedule whenever someone has it available.

SCACCHoops.com usually has it, but its not up there yet. I imagine it will be shortly.

It looks like the GoDuke schedule page has an outlook link at the top.

http://www.goduke.com//SportSelect.dbml?&DB_MENU_ID=&DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1845&SPSID=22726

hurleyfor3
09-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Move to the West Coast, and all your problems will be solved. ;)

The Mountain time zone is also a solid option. Better even, in that you're less likely to still be at work at tipoff :)

DU82
09-02-2010, 08:17 PM
I presume the wait for the ACC men's schedule is the reason for the delay in releasing the women's schedule.

riverside6
09-02-2010, 10:03 PM
We've added the schedule over at our site which means that we have Outlook importsfor all of the teams as well as one for the ACC Composite Schedule.

Here is the link for the league's schedule (http://www.scacchoops.com/Schedule.asp) and there is a menu option for each of the respective teams' schedules.

basket1544
09-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Am I seeing this correctly? We don't get to watch the Singler v. Singler game on TV? That's one I've been looking forward to since about April 24th.

msdukie
09-02-2010, 11:25 PM
My guess is Oregon TV is TBD. I can't fathom Duke scheduling a non-conference road game in an NBA area on the West Coast against a power conference team and it not being on TV.

Also, for those not aware, Time Warner/Bright House now have ESPN3.com as of today's agreement between TW/BH and ESPN/ABC/Disney.

Lord Ash
09-03-2010, 01:00 AM
The late games really crush us East Coast elementary school teachers... I get up early!:(

Man, basketball cannot get here fast enough:)

Indoor66
09-03-2010, 08:33 AM
We've added the schedule over at our site which means that we have Outlook importsfor all of the teams as well as one for the ACC Composite Schedule.

Here is the link for the league's schedule (http://www.scacchoops.com/Schedule.asp) and there is a menu option for each of the respective teams' schedules.

Thanks Riverside - I look forward to your schedule - it is the most complete and easiest to manipulate to meet my needs.

stillcrazie
09-03-2010, 09:37 AM
My guess is Oregon TV is TBD. I can't fathom Duke scheduling a non-conference road game in an NBA area on the West Coast against a power conference team and it not being on TV.

Also, for those not aware, Time Warner/Bright House now have ESPN3.com as of today's agreement between TW/BH and ESPN/ABC/Disney.

Thanks, this is great news. I also noticed ESPNU and Raycom on the schedule (Raycom used to be associated with FSS). Anyone know if these will be available to Time Warner customers? I have heard that ESPNU is available on the internet at no charge, but would like to confirm. Thanks.

MChambers
09-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks Riverside - I look forward to your schedule - it is the most complete and easiest to manipulate to meet my needs.

I downloaded the csv file from goduke.com and imported it into Outlook. Interestingly, it looks like the schedule is designed for an old fart like me, with many of the games at 7 or 9 in the morning!

Guess I'll be trying Riverside's schedule next, but will have to remove all of the erroneous entries from the first import manually

msdukie
09-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Thanks, this is great news. I also noticed ESPNU and Raycom on the schedule (Raycom used to be associated with FSS). Anyone know if these will be available to Time Warner customers? I have heard that ESPNU is available on the internet at no charge, but would like to confirm. Thanks.

Raycom is regionally syndicated and has never been associated with Fox. It is sold market by market in the ACC footprint and starting in 2011-2012 nationally. Raycom is also streamed on ESPN3 and in the footprint on Raycom.com in SD and HD. ESPNU has been available on Time Warner since 2007 and is not streamed online. Only ESPN and ESPN2 are streamed on ESPN3.com. Thanks to yesterday's deal, some ESPN3 programming might be cleared for TW's sports pak.

stillcrazie
09-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Raycom is regionally syndicated and has never been associated with Fox. It is sold market by market in the ACC footprint and starting in 2011-2012 nationally. Raycom is also streamed on ESPN3 and in the footprint on Raycom.com in SD and HD. ESPNU has been available on Time Warner since 2007 and is not streamed online. Only ESPN and ESPN2 are streamed on ESPN3.com. Thanks to yesterday's deal, some ESPN3 programming might be cleared for TW's sports pak.[/QUOTE]

Thanks -- in the past, I have seen Raycom games on FOX 50 in the Triangle. I am just wondering, with basic cable and no additional sports package, if I am still going to be able to get all the games.

stillcrazie
09-03-2010, 11:25 AM
So, if you are an impoverished grad student and don't have the ESPN sports package, it looks as if you only miss three games, Nov 14 (Princeton), Nov 16 (Miami of Ohio), and Dec 29 (UNCG). I suppose it could be worse.

ACCBBallFan
09-04-2010, 09:23 PM
One thing that could help VA Tech a lot and help FSU a little, hurt NC St a little to challenge UNC and Duke for top tier of ACC is ACC unbalanced schedule:

9 - VA Tech has easiest only playing UNC and NC St away and hosts Duke and FSU at home once each; plays MD twice

10- GA Tech plays VA Tech (2); UNC, FSU and MD home only and Duke and NC St away

11 - MD plays Duke and VA Tech twice and at UNC, hosts FSU and NC St

12 - Clemson plays UNC and FSU twice and at Duke; at MD; hosts VA Tech

12 - FSU plays UNC and NC St twice and Duke at home and at VA Tech at MD

12- UNC plays Duke, FSU and NC St twice but does not have to play UNC; home vs. VA T and MD

14 - Duke plays UNC, NC St and MD twice but does not have to play Duke; at VA T and at FSU

14 - UVA plays Duke, VA Tech and MD twice and hosts UNC and NC St and is at FSU

14 - Miami plays Duke, FSU and NC St twice and UNC and MD at home, at VA Tech

14 – NC St plays UNC(2), Duke (2) and FSU (2) at MD, home vs. VA Tech

15 - Wake hosts Duke, is at UNC but plays twice vs. VT, FSU, NC St and MD

15 - BC has toughest schedule plays UNC, VA Tech and MD twice and at Duke and at FSU, hosts NC St

Degree of difficulty scale

4 points for playing UNC or Duke twice
3 points for playing VA Tech, FSU NC St or MD twice
2 points for playing a top 6 team [Duke, UNC, VA T; FSU; NC St or MD] away
1 point for playing a top 6 team at home
Average is 12.67

Some tidbits on overall ACC Schedule:

7 ACC teams play UNC Greensboro (Southern Conf)
4 ACC teams play Elon (Also Southern Conf)
3 ACC teams play Charleston (also Southern Conf)
3 ACC teams play Temple (A10)
3 ACC teams play Stetson (Atl Sun)
3 ACC team splay USC Upstate (also Atl Sun)
3 ACC team splay Del St (MEAC)

ACC opponent by Conference
Southern (20) all but UVA and BC, all but Appy St, Samford and Furman
B10 (18) all but Miami due to ACC/B10 challenge
Atl Sun (15) all but Duke, Clemson and BC; all but E TN St and Belmont
SEC (15) all but Duke, MD and NC St; all but Ole MS, Auburn, So Car and Ark
A10 (13) all but UNC, FSU, Miami and UVA; all but Dayton, GWU, LaSalle, Duquesne and St Joe
B12 (10) all but GA T; Wake, NC St, Clemson and Miami; all but KU, MO; TX Tech and Colorado
Pac10 (9) all but UNC, MD, GA Tech, Clemson and Miami; all but AZ St, USC, and Oregon St

Big Sky (0)
Southland (1) Miami vs. McNeese St
Summit (1) Miami vs. Oral Roberts
SWAC (1) NC St vs. Alab A&M
WAC (1) FSU vs. Hawaii
MAC (2) Duke vs. Miami OH; Miami FL vs. Akron
MWC (2) VA Tech vs. UNLV; FSU vs. Utah
OVC (2) VA Tech vs. Murray St; NC St vs. TN Tech
Sun Belt (2) UNC vs. W KY (or MN); FSU vs. Florida International

SCMatt33
09-04-2010, 10:20 PM
12- UNC plays Duke, FSU and NC St twice but does not have to play UNC; home vs. VA T and MD

14 - Duke plays UNC, NC St and MD twice but does not have to play Duke; at VA T and at FSU

Good to know this, though UNC did have to play against themselves pretty much every game last year. They were bad enough, anyway, but they definitely gave away a few games and "beat themselves." I wouldn't be so quick to say that for carolina.

On our end, I'm a little sad to see that we don't play ourselves, as that would be a hell of a game:cool:

Cameron
09-05-2010, 02:48 AM
On our end, I'm a little sad to see that we don't play ourselves, as that would be a hell of a game

I, on the contrary, am quite happy we don't. Not sure we could keep up. I hear they're hellish good, and coming off a title.

I'm not sure why anyone would welcome that ambush with extended arms.