PDA

View Full Version : Mike Gilchrist Waffling On His UK Commitment?

nvr1983
08-27-2010, 10:57 PM
Just thought I would pass this along since I posted on here the other day regarding "Mike Krzyzewski Day".

Earlier tonight Gilchrist, who committed to Kentucky quite a while ago, tweeted that he was going to take 3 official visits and mentioned some reservation about leaving his mother (I have no idea about their situation and don't want to speculate either). It might just be teenage hormones on a Friday night in the summer, but it was enough to get John Calipari's attention (Gilchrist mentions just getting off the phone with him around 10:50 PM).

I don't think Duke was on Gilchrist's previous "list", but I'm sure if he opens up his commitment that Coach K and the rest of the staff would go after him hard.

Link = http://rushthecourt.net/2010/08/27/is-michael-gilchrist-waffling-on-his-commitment-to-kentucky/

DukeBlueNV
08-27-2010, 11:32 PM
IIRC, a few months before he commited, the staff sent some "feelers" (I think it was Kyrie seeing how the used to be HS teammates) to see if he was interested in Duke recruiting him and apparently he wasn't interested. If someone out there knows better how that whole situation went down feel free to step in and refresh everyone...

MisterRoddy
08-27-2010, 11:36 PM
IIRC, a few months before he commited, the staff sent some "feelers" (I think it was Kyrie seeing how the used to be HS teammates) to see if he was interested in Duke recruiting him and apparently he wasn't interested. If someone out there knows better how that whole situation went down feel free to step in and refresh everyone...

I'm trying to get something out of Marc Maggard on twitter but he's being sensitive...

airowe
08-27-2010, 11:49 PM
I'm trying to get something out of Marc Maggard on twitter but he's being sensitive...

Maggard probably has Montezuma's revenge or something. I'd leave him alone...

http://bigblueuncensored.com/kentucky_wildcats/maggard-flees-to-mexico-living-like-jimmy-buffet/

MisterRoddy
08-28-2010, 12:07 AM
Maggard probably has Montezuma's revenge or something. I'd leave him alone...

http://bigblueuncensored.com/kentucky_wildcats/maggard-flees-to-mexico-living-like-jimmy-buffet/

Lol! Good find.

He gets agitated really easily.

JasonEvans
08-28-2010, 09:31 AM
... mentioned some reservation about leaving his mother...

The implication in the above statement is a desire to stay closer to home. His family lives in Elizabeth, New Jersey (he attends the legendary St. Patrick HS, one of the best basketball programs in the country) just outside of Newark. If he wants to stay closer to home, his options among the big-name programs are fairly limited.

He might look at a Villanova, which is just an hour and a half away. St. John and Rutgers are both very close, but they are not the kind of top-tier programs that Gilchrist probably wants. UConn is 3 hours away. Georgetown is 4 hours away. Maryland is about 15 minutes closer than GTown.

Duke is 8 1/2 hours -- quite a drive. Kentucky is 12 hours.

By the way, Gilchrist's original list was Kentucky, GTown, Memphis, Oregon, and Villanova (according to Scout). Rivals listed Kentucky, UConn, Florida St, Memphis, Indiana, Rutgers, and Villanova.

--Jason "I think Duke is unlikely, but ya never know" Evans

DukeSean
08-28-2010, 10:51 AM
FWIW, Evan Daniels of Scout tweeted this last night:

EvanDanielscout: For those asking...@MikeGilchrist is considered a very strong commit to Kentucky.
about 11 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

BD80
08-28-2010, 01:29 PM
The implication in the above statement is a desire to stay closer to home. His family lives in Elizabeth, New Jersey (he attends the legendary St. Patrick HS, one of the best basketball programs in the country) just outside of Newark. If he wants to stay closer to home, his options among the big-name programs are fairly limited.
Duke is 8 1/2 hours -- quite a drive. ...

--Jason "I think Duke is unlikely, but ya never know" Evans

Isn't there a special pipeline from Jersey to Duke?

Spanarkel, Tink (Philly is actually a part of Jersey even if the denizens won't admit it), Ro, Hurley, Jason, Lance, Kyrie, et al?

ACCBBallFan
08-28-2010, 07:11 PM

Spanarkel, Tink (Philly is actually a part of Jersey even if the denizens won't admit it), Ro, Hurley, Jason, Lance, Kyrie, et al?

Zoubs and G say HI

airowe
08-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Zoubs and G say HI

G? Not Gerald Henderson, right?

Kedsy
08-28-2010, 11:26 PM
G? Not Gerald Henderson, right?

They are pretending that the greater Philadelphia area is part of New Jersey.

Indoor66
08-29-2010, 07:50 AM

And we all know that the exact opposite is true.

77devil
08-29-2010, 08:09 AM
And we all know that the exact opposite is true.

Most Philadelphians consider N.J. a landfill between the Delaware River and the beach. ;)

BD80
08-29-2010, 02:41 PM

Don't Philadelphites all go to Jersey to get away from Philly?

Just ask anyone from the rest of Pennsylvania if Philly is part of the state.

People that boo Santa Claus don't belong in a state founded by William Penn

They even tore down the Rocky statue for goodness sake (I know - it still around there somewhere - or is it back in the moving van?)

Since somone mentioned G, maybe we have to make a clearer distinction, because I would consider G "Jersey"

How about the southern half of Philly is Jersey?

Kedsy
08-29-2010, 02:46 PM

They even tore down the Rocky statue for goodness sake (I know - it still around there somewhere - or is it back in the moving van?)

Since somone mentioned G, maybe we have to make a clearer distinction, because I would consider G "Jersey"

Funny stuff, BD. I think your opinion, as a longtime resident of Pittsburgh, is suspect.

G came from a western suburb of Philadelphia. Couldn't be considered the "southern half" of anything. The Rocky statue was moved from the Art Museum down in front of one of the stadiums (I believe the Spectrum, where Christian Laettner hit "the shot"). Santa had it coming.

BD80
08-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Funny stuff, BD. I think your opinion, as a longtime resident of Pittsburgh, is suspect.

G came from a western suburb of Philadelphia. Couldn't be considered the "southern half" of anything. The Rocky statue was moved from the Art Museum down in front of one of the stadiums (I believe the Spectrum, where Christian Laettner hit "the shot"). Santa had it coming.

Didn't Pope JP II get booed in Philly back in the 70s (it was too hot to throw snowballs!)

Yes, I confess to being a Pittsburgher (with Heinz Ketchup!), so little I post is on the level (it's a tad hilly on the pretty side of the state!)

SCMatt33
08-29-2010, 04:16 PM

The Rocky Statue was outside of the Spectrum for several years, but was moved a few years ago in advance of the arena closing. It now sits around the corner from the art museum (the museum wouldn't allow it to be put at the base of the famous steps). And if you've never actually heard the Santa story, that particular Santa on that particular day really did deserve it.

BD80
08-29-2010, 07:50 PM
... And if you've never actually heard the Santa story, that particular Santa on that particular day really did deserve it.

Only in Philly.

Some poor schmuck was convinced to go out on the field at halftime in the Santa suit he wore to the game, to cover for the Santa who didn't make it (he may have deserved the shellacking). The poor guy was drilled from the second he was announced until he made it off the field. Many of the snowballs were plummeting from the upper deck! Even the Eagle cheerleaders (dressed as elves) were getting hit, and they quickly abandoned their charge.

The real reason is that the team sucked to high heavens and had no prospect of improving - they even won one too many games to get OJ in the next draft, getting Leroy Keyes instead. Oh, and Philly fans are the meanest fans on the planet.

Don't shirk your infamy, embrace it!

juise
08-29-2010, 09:33 PM

If we count Ro, I think we have to count Dahntay as well.

El_Diablo
08-29-2010, 09:44 PM
Zoubs and G say HI

BD80's list wasn't intended to be exhaustive...hence the "et al" added at the end.

devildeac
08-29-2010, 10:03 PM

They also booed Mike Schmidt.

What's their excuse for that one?

http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/24.gif

(disclaimer: I grew up in southern NJ, about 15 mile from center city Philadelphia so all this stuff is really funnier than Hades to read)

devildeac
08-29-2010, 10:05 PM
Heck, may as well include Luol who was at prep school in NJ.

And Bill Bradley, too. Oh, wait a minute...:rolleyes:

jimsumner
08-29-2010, 10:43 PM
"And Bill Bradley, too. Oh, wait a minute."

Perhaps Bradley was from the Jersey side of Missouri. :)

devildeac
08-29-2010, 11:11 PM
"And Bill Bradley, too. Oh, wait a minute."

Perhaps Bradley was from the Jersey side of Missouri. :)

Obtuse reference that he almost went to Duke but went to a small private school in central NJ that is almost part of Philadelphia.

Oh, never mind;).

BD80
08-30-2010, 08:29 AM
(disclaimer: I grew up in southern NJ, about 15 mile from center city Philadelphia so all this stuff is really funnier than Hades to read)

Maybe you can answer an important question. If we were to lump Philly in with Jersey for the purposes of our "pipeline," would Jersey object?

devildeac
08-30-2010, 08:55 AM
Maybe you can answer an important question. If we were to lump Philly in with Jersey for the purposes of our "pipeline," would Jersey object?

Probably, as we have enough problems/negative reputation points of our own with being the "armpit of the nation", the supposed final resting place of Jimmy Hoffa, home of the NJ Turnpike and GS Parkway and so forth. Although Gene Banks and "The Shot" might provide us a boost;). But, then again, I haven't lived in that area for over 30 years so I don't know the prevailing feeling at this time.

BD80
08-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Probably, as we have enough problems/negative reputation points of our own with being the "armpit of the nation", the supposed final resting place of Jimmy Hoffa, home of the NJ Turnpike and GS Parkway and so forth. Although Gene Banks and "The Shot" might provide us a boost;). But, then again, I haven't lived in that area for over 30 years so I don't know the prevailing feeling at this time.

Hey, hey, hey!

Don't even THINK about robbing DEEtroit of one its few claims to fame!

Everyone knows that Hoffa was last seen in a restaurant in Detroit's northern suburbs, and it is commonly known here in Detroit that Jimmy is safely ensconced in a pillar supporting the I-696 overpass of I-75.

I don't see why Jersyites have low esteem, just because of a bunch of garbage dumps, Philly has many more lawyers (Jersey got first pick).

77devil
08-30-2010, 12:08 PM
Hey, hey, hey!

Everyone knows that Hoffa was last seen in a restaurant in Detroit's northern suburbs, and it is commonly known here in Detroit that Jimmy is safely ensconced in a pillar supporting the I-696 overpass of I-75.

I don't see why Jersyites have low esteem, just because of a bunch of garbage dumps, Philly has many more lawyers (Jersey got first pick).

Not sure why anyone from Detroit, of all places, would be in this skirmish. ;)

devildeac
08-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Hey, hey, hey!

Not sure why anyone from Detroit, of all places, would be in this skirmish. ;)

I thought at one time I read that BD80 hailed from western Pa originally, but lives in Deeee-tritus, err, Detroit now and the folks from that part of the state, talking funny as they do, still like to ridicule the phine pholks oph Philadelphia whenever the opportunities present themselves.:D

But, back to Mr. Gilchrist now.

Lennies
08-30-2010, 06:19 PM

Is the southern half of Jersey considered Jersey? It's too nice!

The nothern half might as well be considered part of Mordor.

Indoor66
08-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Is the southern half of Jersey considered Jersey? It's too nice!

The nothern half might as well be considered part of Mordor.

The prettiest part of Jersey is the northwest - up around Mountain Lakes.

sagegrouse
08-30-2010, 06:42 PM
The prettiest part of Jersey is the northwest - up around Mountain Lakes.

The southern tip of NJ at Cape May is the site of a spectacular hawk and songbird migration from late August to early November, and over the 30 years I have been attending, the town has been almost totally restored to its Victorian splendor.

Stone Harbor and Brigantine ain't bad, although it is somewhat incongruous to watch birds at the latter with the Atlantic City buildings as a backdrop.

sagegrouse

Indoor66
08-30-2010, 06:52 PM
The southern tip of NJ at Cape May is the site of a spectacular hawk and songbird migration from late August to early November, and over the 30 years I have been attending, the town has been almost totally restored to its Victorian splendor.

Stone Harbor and Brigantine ain't bad, although it is somewhat incongruous to watch birds at the latter with the Atlantic City buildings as a backdrop.

sagegrouse

I spent many summers at my place at Stone Harbor and it, as well as Cape May are very nice. They are on barrier islands and have that beauty. NW Jersey has the beauty of the Appalachians.

Starter
08-30-2010, 09:56 PM
Ya'll got something to say about North Jersey? Come to Bergen County to tell me about it, but bring eyes on the back of your head, ya dig? (I live five minutes from the Bada Bing)

In all seriousness, everything said about the nice parts of NJ is pretty much on the money. Go west enough on Route 46 and you leave the seedy massage parlors and hourly motels behind in favor of mountain ranges. Take the Parkway down south and you'll hit a string of beaches that stack up pretty nicely.

But if you want some high level high school basketball, you seriously might want to try venturing into the ninth circle of Hell up here in North Jersey. This past decade, I've had the pleasure of watching Blair Academy (Deng/Villanueva), St. Benedict's (J.R. Smith, Lance Thomas, M. Kabongo, A. Galindo, Samardo Samuels), St. Anthony's (I mean, you name it), St. Patrick (Kyrie, Gilchrist, D. Caracter, Mike Nardi), Bergen Catholic (Sean Banks, Adrian Joseph). Especially considering Philadelphia is one of the more wretched big cities in America, I would contend North Jersey prep basketball easily stands on its own track record.

Kedsy
08-30-2010, 11:10 PM
Especially considering Philadelphia is one of the more wretched big cities in America...

Someone from North Jersey is calling Philadelphia "wretched"? Puhleeease.

Starter
08-31-2010, 03:07 AM
Someone from North Jersey is calling Philadelphia "wretched"? Puhleeease.

I know, but deplorable seemed a bit strong. Regardless, I will admit that Citizens Bank Park is very nice -- even coming from a Mets fan -- and I'm a fan of the music of Jedi Mind Tricks.

My two cents, the several times I saw Gilchrist this year, it was obvious he was very talented, but he wouldn't take over games, something you'd expect a consensus No. 1 to do. Like, I never got the feeling I got when I watched Dwight Howard. He was also quite soft spoken and didn't seem to have a dominant personality. I wonder if he actually was having second thoughts about going so far from home -- especially with Kentucky picking up recruits left and right, including the new No. 1 in his class, to where MG might be feeling lost in the shuffle a bit, considering his early commit.