PDA

View Full Version : Thad Lewis watch

1999ballboy
08-27-2010, 10:59 AM
For those who haven't heard, Duke's own Thad Lewis is playing for the St. Louis Rams in the NFL preseason. So let's have a thread to follow him!

The Rams have 4 QBs on their team. One of them, of course, is Sam Bradford, the first overall pick in this year's draft. Then they've got veteran A.J. Feeley, who injured himself in the second preseason game; Keith Null, who played a lot around the end of last year but performed quite poorly; and of course Thad, who they got as an undrafted free agent.

The Rams have played in 3 preseason games. In the first, a bad loss to a Brett Favre-less Minnesota, the Rams' offense stunk, but Thad performed better than any of the other 3 QBs, completing 5 of 6 passes for 46 yards.

In the second game, a 19-17 win over Cleveland, Thad did not play, even though Bradford continued to struggle big time, and Null was arguably even worse. Feeley threw pretty well, but he injured his thumb and elbow.

In yesterday's game, a thrilling 36-35 victory over the Pats, Bradford was much better and played most of the game, but with Feeley out, Thad got to play most of the second half. It was a bit of an up-and-down night for him, but he did complete 11 of 14 and got a chance to play in a close game situation. He completed a 25-yard touchdown pass, had a nice 10-yard scramble in there, and led another scoring drive in the 4th that resulted in a 2 yard rushing touchdown. He did fail to convert a 2 point conversion that would have tied the game, and he had an unfortunate stretch in the 4th where he was sacked and then threw a pick on the next play. Null ultimately got to finish the game and the Rams kicked a 40 yard field goal at the last second.

Hope Thad can secure a spot on the roster! Looks like he deserves it so far.

mkline09
08-27-2010, 11:10 AM
I've been following Thad and even wrote a piece about him on Bleacher Report following the Vikings game. He has looked like a capable back up and deserves a shot. He certainly has been better than Keith Null and feedback I got from a couple Rams fans seem to indcate they wouldn't object to him being Bradford's number 2.

Reilly
08-27-2010, 11:38 AM
One of Cut's first QB proteges was Heath Shuler. In 1994, the Redskins took Shuler out of powerhouse Tennessee with the #3 overall pick. In his NFL career, Shuler threw for 3,600 yards, had a rating of 54, and threw 15 TDs and 33 INTs. In the same draft, the Redskins took little-known and little-noticed Gus Frerotte in the 7th round from a non-power (Tulsa). Frerotte played 15 years, threw for 21,000 yards, had a career rating of 74, and threw 114 TDs and 106 INTs. From the get-go, it was very clear that Frerotte had whatever it took to be a decent NFL QB, but that Shuler was just all over the place. Shuler was an amazing athlete, but would throw balls at RBs feet on little check-offs. Yet the Skins kept trying to play him b/c he was the #3 overall pick.

Not many bust like Shuler did (Ryan Leaf?), but it is just interesting to note the parallels of a top pick from a power and an also-ran from a non-power coming to the same team at the same time, only this time Cut has a connection to the David not the Goliath.

Thus far: Bradford completing 55% with a rating of 84. Thad completing 80%, rating 97.

Merlindevildog91
08-27-2010, 11:44 AM
I can't imagine a team with a rookie QB wanting to have a rookie as a first backup. I think Thad's best bet is to be the third QB at this point. If the Rams don't keep him, I hope he's played well enough to interest someone else.

mkline09
08-27-2010, 11:48 AM
I'd agree Thad needs to be a third stringer to start but I think he can eventually work his way to a solid back up.

cato
08-27-2010, 05:34 PM
Not many bust like Shuler did (Ryan Leaf?)

I'm pretty sure that Jamarcus Russell now takes first place in the QB flame out rankings. If his shear ineptitude doesn't win the contest outright, then the staggering cost vaults him into the lead.

I wonder if Russell was paid more on a per-TD basis than any QB in the history of the NFL?

Duvall
08-27-2010, 05:44 PM
I'm pretty sure that Jamarcus Russell now takes first place in the QB flame out rankings. If his shear ineptitude doesn't win the contest outright, then the staggering cost vaults him into the lead.

I wonder if Russell was paid more on a per-TD basis than any QB in the history of the NFL?

Nice try Bolts fan, but it's hard to compare Ryan Leaf's career stats (http://www.nfl.com/players/ryanleaf/careerstats?id=LEA220394) with Russell's career stats (http://www.nfl.com/players/jamarcusrussell/careerstats?id=RUS539462) and conclude that Leaf comes out on top.

nmduke2001
08-27-2010, 05:48 PM
Nice try Bolts fan, but it's hard to compare Ryan Leaf's career stats (http://www.nfl.com/players/ryanleaf/careerstats?id=LEA220394) with Russell's career stats (http://www.nfl.com/players/jamarcusrussell/careerstats?id=RUS539462) and conclude that Leaf comes out on top.

Exhibit 1 and 1a on why the NFL needs a rookie salary cap.

NovaScotian
08-27-2010, 08:23 PM
Exhibit 1 and 1a on why the NFL needs a rookie salary cap.

amen. and major league baseball too.

CameronBornAndBred
08-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Steve Spagnuolo on Thad's battle with Keith Null for the 3rd QB spot..

(On battle for the No. 3 quarterback spot)
“Well, I’ll tell you what, that’s another good battle going on. You like to have these. You know as you get down to the end when you have got to make a decision on 53 players, you know you’re getting better if you can get down there and say you have 60 that you’d like to keep. You’re talking about the backup running back battle and now you bring up the third quarterback situation. We’re going to need another game to let it play out. I thought (QB) Thad (Lewis) did a nice job to help himself last night and, wow, I mean for Keith to stand on the side line for three quarters and then go out there and execute a two-minute, I thought that was outstanding. ”
(On if he’d like to see Keith Null and Lewis get a lot of time against Baltimore)
“Absolutely. ”
(On why they chose to have Lewis start the second half)
“We just wanted to make sure that Thad got in. Sometimes, and again last night, to the credit…to our defense because we had a lot of plays offensively, what we didn’t want to do is short change Thad at the end of the game and not get him in there so it worked out good.”

http://www.globe-democrat.com/news/2010/aug/27/rams-vs-patriots-post-game-remarks-steve-spagnuolo/

1999ballboy
08-27-2010, 11:38 PM
It seems relevant to point out that Keith Null was a protege of the legendary Ryan Leaf at West Texas A&M. His numbers from the end of last year tend to back that up. I don't want to jinx anything though, because I'm certainly not rooting for the guy. His loss is Thad's gain.

Son of Jarhead
08-28-2010, 01:05 AM
http://www.stlouisrams.com/blog/

From The Sidelines - The Official Rams Blog - by Nick Wagoner

- Consider some of these eye popping numbers for the Rams offense: 36 points, 30 first downs, 462 yards with 136 on the ground and 326 through the air, 11-of-17 on third down conversions, three-of-five touchdowns in the red zone and points on all five trips and a staggering time of possession of 43 minutes and 46 seconds.

- The Rams' first team offense was excellent but the backups fared pretty well too. Considering that New England kept its starters in for most of the game, perhaps the most impressive drive of the day was Thaddeus Lewis leading the backup offense to a touchdown on the opening possession of the second half.

- Bradford wasn’t the only rookie quarterback to have a big night as Thaddeus Lewis played most of the second half and put together a strong performance.

- Lewis has injected himself into the competition for a roster spot with his effort, finishing 11-of-14 for 120 yards with a touchdown and one interception for a rating of 96.4.

Looks like Thad is making a good case for himself. I've always been impressed by him & would really love for him to make the roster (& hang around for years!). Go Thad!

1999ballboy
09-03-2010, 12:58 AM
As the Rams beat the Ravens, 27-21, Thad once again played in the 4th quarter and went 6 for 8 for 89 yards, and completed a 26 yard touchdown pass. He also rushed for 14 yards on 2 carries. His competitor, Keith Null, also had a decent night despite throwing an interception. Bradford only threw 6 passes, but was perfect and has some impressive-looking highlights.

Here are the final preseason stats for the Rams' QBs:
Sam Bradford: 33/55, 338 yds, 10.2 ypc, 3 TDs, 0 Int
Thaddeus Lewis: 22/28, 255 yds, 11.6 ypc, 2 TDs, 1 Int
Keith Null: 17/37, 191 yds, 11.2 ypc, 1 TD, 1 Int
A.J. Feeley: 8/14, 64 yds, 8.0 ypc, 1 TD, 0 Int

So Thad comes out on top in terms of accuracy and yards per completion. It would seem crazy to give Null the third-string job over him with these numbers, but I'm concerned about the facts that a. Null has been with the Rams for a year, b. Thad didn't even get into Game 2, and c. Thad has been playing mostly in the 4th quarter and may be playing against 3rd string defenses. Either way, Thad has turned some heads and played one hell of a preseason. I'm not sure how long Feeley is supposed to be out for, but I suppose it's possible that he's out for opening week and the Rams keep both Thad and Null for the time. Feeley is a veteran and the Rams want him as Bradford's first backup for sure.

On a separate note, I had no idea that Eron Riley was now playing for the Ravens! His name took me by surprise as I was following the game tonight. He caught 2 of 3 passes for 33 yards. I remember Eron as perhaps the most talented receiver I ever saw play for Duke, but he unfortunately had a tendency to choke in clutch situations. I wish him the best in the NFL as well.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-03-2010, 01:42 AM
On a separate note, I had no idea that Eron Riley was now playing for the Ravens! His name took me by surprise as I was following the game tonight. He caught 2 of 3 passes for 33 yards. I remember Eron as perhaps the most talented receiver I ever saw play for Duke, but he unfortunately had a tendency to choke in clutch situations. I wish him the best in the NFL as well.
That's because your so dang young! ;) Duke had some really fine receivers (and quarterbacks) in the 80's and 90's. Guys who won ACC POY awards. We didn't win that many games (way more than in the 2000's until Coach Cut arrived on the scene), but we had some fine aerial attacks! Fun football to watch!

1999ballboy
09-03-2010, 02:56 AM
I'm old enough to remember some of the '90s teams :). It's a bit hazy when it comes to remembering too many specific players, but as far as receivers go I remember guys like Corey Thomas and Scottie Montgomery being pretty darn good. Riley wasn't the best receiver I've seen but he was tall, athletic, and had lots of natural talent, and in that sense I'm not surprised to see he's getting a shot at the NFL. I'd take our current tandem of Vernon and Varner over him, though.

Highlander
09-03-2010, 07:46 AM
I'm old enough to remember some of the '90s teams :). It's a bit hazy when it comes to remembering too many specific players, but as far as receivers go I remember guys like Corey Thomas and Scottie Montgomery being pretty darn good. Riley wasn't the best receiver I've seen but he was tall, athletic, and had lots of natural talent, and in that sense I'm not surprised to see he's getting a shot at the NFL. I'd take our current tandem of Vernon and Varner over him, though.

I remember joking that we thought Thomas's first name was actually "Pass inteded for," because that's what the announcers always said.

Joking aside, Thomas and Montgomery were very bright spots during some dismal years. Clarkston Hines during the late 80's was pretty dern good (I'd daresay our best ever), and we had some serviceable guys during the infamous bowl run of '94. I want to say Jansen or Jensen was the guy's name. Kept defenses honest once teams realized they had to respect Robert "the bowling ball" Baldwin and Duke's running game.

Bob Green
09-03-2010, 08:15 AM
Sometime in the next 36 hours Thad Lewis will know if he has made the team:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/article_132b26de-c15f-5f22-98f4-d662164f7c53.html

Good luck Thad! All Duke fans are pulling for you.

cbnaylor
09-03-2010, 08:22 AM
Remember guys, even if Thad doesn't make the team, I'm sure that another team would pick him up because he's had an excellent preseason.

nocilla
09-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Remember guys, even if Thad doesn't make the team, I'm sure that another team would pick him up because he's had an excellent preseason.

I don't know what the chances are, but I am a Giants fan and they are down to 2 QBs because Sorgi was placed on IR. They will be looking to bring in another QB, I imagine they would want a veteran though as the other backup is 2nd year Rhett Bomar. But I would be happy to see them sign Thad.

Really I would be happy to see Thad sign with any team. I don't know how many other teams may be looking to add a QB or if their situations would be better suited for him.

BlueDevilBaby
09-03-2010, 09:51 AM
Bomar did not look too good last night but, in fairness, at least one pass I saw should have been caught. The INT though was totally a bad throw on his part.

rasputin
09-03-2010, 10:57 AM
I don't know what the chances are, but I am a Giants fan and they are down to 2 QBs because Sorgi was placed on IR. They will be looking to bring in another QB, I imagine they would want a veteran though as the other backup is 2nd year Rhett Bomar. But I would be happy to see them sign Thad.

Really I would be happy to see Thad sign with any team. I don't know how many other teams may be looking to add a QB or if their situations would be better suited for him.

And Pittsburgh really needs a QB now: with Big Ben suspended, their backup, Leftwich, was hurt yesterday.

I was at the game yesterday and Thad really looked good. Nice timing on his passes, patient in the pocket looking for the right guy to throw to. When there was nobody to throw to, he scrambled for a gain of about 7-8 yards. I would really like to see Thad make this team. He is definitely better than Null, too.

Merlindevildog91
09-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Null has been around a few years, right? So it might be a bit of a salary cap savings to keep Thad and say "good-bye" to Null?

I'm sure it can't be all that much, but in a league run by the almighty $$, it might make a difference, all other things being equal.

rasputin
09-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Null has been around a few years, right? So it might be a bit of a salary cap savings to keep Thad and say "good-bye" to Null?

I'm sure it can't be all that much, but in a league run by the almighty $$, it might make a difference, all other things being equal.

I'm pretty sure Null was a rookie last year, so the cap thing isn't that big a deal.

SCMatt33
09-03-2010, 12:24 PM
I'm pretty sure Null was a rookie last year, so the cap thing isn't that big a deal.

Isn't this year an uncapped year anyway?

CameronBornAndBred
09-03-2010, 01:33 PM
Isn't this year an uncapped year anyway?
Bradford got 50 million bucks, so if there is a cap it's worthless.

Merlindevildog91
09-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Keith Null prospered under the (ahem) tutelage of Ryan Leaf at West Texas A&M.

The salary cap has been worthless, anyway. You never hear of it until some team wants to cut a well-paid player who has stopped playing to his level of potential, or unless someone "voluntarily" takes a pay cut.

I work for the government. I "voluntarily" took a pay cut, or had a "voluntary" furlough on several occasions. It's voluntary in the sense that I agreed to take it in order to keep a roof over my head. I suspect "voluntary" pay cuts in the NFL are the same. I know Mark Schlereth said as much once. He took a voluntary pay cut in order not to be axed at a time when rosters were already full and he could have gone nowhere else.

AZLA
09-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Just saw Leftwich is out for the year. Man, I feel bad for him. He's a solid professional.

On the flip side, Thad may have a chance to shine -- and he's a great athlete -- so, good luck to him.

Question for the board. I'm not familiar with the Steelers roster, but does this automatically mean Thad is No. 2 and he starts during Ben's suspension?

Or do Steelers also bring in another QB -- let's say Leinhart for argument's sake -- and create a competition for #2?

My guess is that it's too late in the preseason to do that, but I've always wondered, do coaches typically lock in their #2 for the season (not just financially) or do they the keep a competition brewing throughout the season and start a player based on week-to-week?

RelativeWays
09-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Thad is with the Rams, not the Steelers.

Son of Jarhead
09-03-2010, 04:37 PM
From St Louis Rams official website's From the Sidelines blog by Nick Wagoner (Posted: Fri, September 3, 2010 @ 12:30)

"Wrapping Up... The Preseason - Some individual numbers of interest:

- Sam Bradford: 33-of-55 for 257 yards, three touchdowns, no interceptions for a 95.9 rating. He was sacked five times.

- In the third QB battle...Keith Null: 17-of-37 for 191 yards with a touchdown and an interception for a rating of 59.6. Thaddeus Lewis: 22-of-28 for 255 yards with two touchdowns and one interception for a rating of 113.5."

No matter what string defense he lined up against, he most likely had the same string offense around him, so these numbers are pretty darn good. Go Thad!

Link added: http://www.stlouisrams.com/blog/

Poincaré
09-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Thad and Cut made me a Duke football fan. I didn't think that was possible, considering that we may not have won a single game while I was at Duke. Best of luck to him. One day, when I am a crusty old-timer, he will be fondly remembered as the QB who got Duke football rolling in the 21st century.

CameronBornAndBred
09-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Thad is with the Rams, not the Steelers.
Further up, Rasputin noted that the Steelers are low on QB's since Big Ben is out and his backup is hurt...suggested they might look at him if he doesn't stick with the Rams.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Thad and Cut made me a Duke football fan. I didn't think that was possible, considering that we may not have won a single game while I was at Duke. Best of luck to him. One day, when I am a crusty old-timer, he will be fondly remembered as the QB who got Duke football rolling in the 21st century.

When you're in your old age, remember that Thad threw for over 10K yards while at Duke. Very few quarterbacks have done that in four years' time.... approximately 60 in the history of the NCAA.

juise
09-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Further up, Rasputin noted that the Steelers are low on QB's since Big Ben is out and his backup is hurt...suggested they might look at him if he doesn't stick with the Rams.

True, but having said that, Leftwich is not going to be out for very long (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5527499). The Steelers will likely have 4 QB's (Ben, Leftwich, Dixon, Batch) after week 4, so that doesn't seem like a good fit for Thad.

CameronBornAndBred
09-03-2010, 07:58 PM
This guy predicts Thad.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2010/9/3/1667635/nfl-roster-cuts-st-louis-rams#storyjump

throatybeard
09-04-2010, 01:23 AM
One of Cut's first QB proteges was Heath Shuler. In 1994, the Redskins took Shuler out of powerhouse Tennessee with the #3 overall pick. In his NFL career, Shuler threw for 3,600 yards, had a rating of 54, and threw 15 TDs and 33 INTs. In the same draft, the Redskins took little-known and little-noticed Gus Frerotte in the 7th round from a non-power (Tulsa). Frerotte played 15 years, threw for 21,000 yards, had a career rating of 74, and threw 114 TDs and 106 INTs. From the get-go, it was very clear that Frerotte had whatever it took to be a decent NFL QB, but that Shuler was just all over the place. Shuler was an amazing athlete, but would throw balls at RBs feet on little check-offs. Yet the Skins kept trying to play him b/c he was the #3 overall pick.

Not many bust like Shuler did (Ryan Leaf?), but it is just interesting to note the parallels of a top pick from a power and an also-ran from a non-power coming to the same team at the same time, only this time Cut has a connection to the David not the Goliath.

Thus far: Bradford completing 55% with a rating of 84. Thad completing 80%, rating 97.

Shuler's doing OK, though, insofar as he is a congressman from NC-11.

cbnaylor
09-04-2010, 07:03 AM
Well so far, Lewis is still around. Here's the article.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-report/article_9f966c26-b7b7-11df-a816-00127992bc8b.html

Dukeface88
09-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Well so far, Lewis is still around. Here's the article.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-report/article_9f966c26-b7b7-11df-a816-00127992bc8b.html

Really hope he sticks. Not only for his sake; if we can get a few guys in the NFL, it helps our recruiting pitch for the 3- and 4- star guys. Go to a football factory and get buried on the chart, or come to Duke as a starter and see what happens on the field.

yancem
09-04-2010, 01:57 PM
That's because your so dang young! ;) Duke had some really fine receivers (and quarterbacks) in the 80's and 90's. Guys who won ACC POY awards. We didn't win that many games (way more than in the 2000's until Coach Cut arrived on the scene), but we had some fine aerial attacks! Fun football to watch!

Yeah IIRC, when he graduated, Clarkston Hines held the ncaa record for touchdown receptions and I believe that he at least still holds the acc record. He also set/holds a bunch of other school and acc records. He was a stud, at least at the college level.

airowe
09-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Thad made the team over Null!!!!!!!

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-report/article_ca75d51c-b852-11df-9cf5-00127992bc8b.html

Spagnuolo also announced that the team had released quarterback Keith Null, opting to keep undrafted rookie Thaddeus Lewis as the No. 3 QB behind Bradford and A.J. Feeley.

juise
09-04-2010, 03:21 PM
Sweet! Congrats, Thad!

doctorhook
09-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Great news for Thad! What sort of contract is he likely to get?

JasonEvans
09-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Great news for Thad! What sort of contract is he likely to get?

The NFL's minimum salary is $310k this year. It goes up every year and also increases if you are a vet.

-Jason

doctorhook
09-04-2010, 05:00 PM
The NFL's minimum salary is $310k this year. It goes up every year and also increases if you are a vet.

-Jason

So even as a QB he will likely get the minimum? Not complaining, glad he made it.

JasonEvans
09-04-2010, 10:11 PM
So even as a QB he will likely get the minimum? Not complaining, glad he made it.

An undrafted rookie is making the min, no question about it. Heck, most 3rd stringers are making the min whether they be QBs, LBs, CBs, or RBs.

--Jason "still, I'd take $310k in a heartbeat ;)" Evans

-bdbd
09-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Great news for Thad. He deserved it.

Interestingly St louis is going with thte rookie Bradford as the starter. It could be a formula to get Thad into some games and learn some and get some in-game experience. If Bradford has any rookie issues and Feeley continues to have injuries...
Great situation, also to be on a "up and coming" team.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/09/04/rams.bradford.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

Go get 'em Thad!

-BDBD :D

4decadedukie
09-05-2010, 05:16 AM
Thad's selection to the Rams is wonderful, deserved and another indication of Duke Football's resurgence.

DevilWearsPrada
09-05-2010, 12:09 PM
It was wonderful last night, during the Duke/Elon Game, they announced Thad Lewis made the Rams Team!!!! So proud of Thad!!!! Another QB, under Coach Cut makes the NFL.

CrazyNotCrazie
09-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Great news for Thad, and well deserved. Here's hoping he gets an opportunity to get on the field. Credit has to be given to his advisors (probably including Coach Cut) for steering him as a free agent to a situation where he had a chance to succeed and make the team.

DukeDude
09-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Congrats to Thad! He really earned it in the preseason games. He had the 10th highest passer rating (113.5) out of 112 QBs in the NFL this preseason. This is also a big milestone for Coach Cut and the Duke program.

Son of Jarhead
09-06-2010, 09:00 PM
So happy for Thad, he has obviously worked very hard & earned this opportunity!

1999ballboy
12-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Update! Thad has been a practice squad player for the Cleveland Browns all season, but with both Brandon Weeden and Colt McCoy injured for Week 17, Lewis has taken first-team snaps in practice. The Browns did just sign FA veteran Josh Johnson, but it still seems pretty likely that Thad will see his first regular season NFL action against the Steelers on Sunday. It's not a particularly meaningful game, but it would still be great to see him make a good impression. Good luck Thad!

killerleft
12-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Update! Thad has been a practice squad player for the Cleveland Browns all season, but with both Brandon Weeden and Colt McCoy injured for Week 17, Lewis has taken first-team snaps in practice. The Browns did just sign FA veteran Josh Johnson, but it still seems pretty likely that Thad will see his first regular season NFL action against the Steelers on Sunday. It's not a particularly meaningful game, but it would still be great to see him make a good impression. Good luck Thad!

Thanks for the update. I might have to hit one of the sports bars to watch one of my all-time favorite Blue Devils play. I sure hope he starts.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the update. I might have to hit one of the sports bars to watch one of my all-time favorite Blue Devils play. I sure hope he starts.

I hope Thad starts, plays well, and leads his team to victory, leading to an active playing roll for him in 2013, wherever that may be! :cool:

JasonEvans
12-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Here is a CBS Sportsline story on Thad as the likely starter: Browns Notebook: QB Thaddeus Lewis may make NFL debut Sunday (http://www.cbssports.com/general/blog/nfl-rapidreports/21455620/browns-notebook-qb-thaddeus-lewis-may-make-nfl-debut-sunday)

"If my number is called, it's going to be amazing," Lewis said. Lewis was an undrafted rookie free agent out of Duke before latching on in 2010 with St. Louis, where then-offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur became impressed with him. The Browns signed him just before the regular season in 2011, Shurmur's first as head coach in Cleveland. Lewis' last start was with the Blue Devils in a loss to Wake Forest. In three years at Duke, he threw for 10,065 yards and 56 touchdowns and was intercepted 24 times.

"I've had experience with Thad in the past," Shurmur said. "He hasn't had a lot of opportunity in regular season games to go in there and play, but if he's in there playing, we definitely trust that he'll do a good job."

--Jason "so, in a span of 4 days Duke football will play in a bowl game and send one of its alums out as a starting NFL QB... someone check Satan's temperature cause it must be chilly down there!!" Evans

juise
12-26-2012, 08:09 PM
--Jason "so, in a span of 4 days Duke football will play in a bowl game and send one of its alums out as a starting NFL QB... someone check Satan's temperature cause it must be chilly down there!!" Evans

I read that as "Saban's temperature" the first time through. I'm not sure if that subconscious reading had more to do with football or the nether region.

Either way, congrats to Thad! I'll be pulling for a breakout performance in Pittsburgh. The Steelers won't have anything on the line (except pride), so I hope they won't be to vicious on him.

throatybeard
12-27-2012, 12:46 AM
I still can't believe the Rams let him go.

BlueDevilBrowns
12-29-2012, 08:54 AM
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/12/cleveland_browns_qbs_brandon_w_2.html

Now that it's official I thought I'd give everyone who hasn't watched the Browns this year(a great choice on your part) a little scouting report on what to expect if you decide to tune in Sunday:

Offensive Line: Cleveland actually has an above average OL, anchored by 6 time pro-bowler LT Joe Thomas and 2-time pro-bowler C Alex Mack. They should give Thad enough time to operate if they go shotgun or use play action. Of course, Thad's mobility is an asset as well. The line is a bit finesse, though, so they struggle in pushing the line of scrimmage which hurts on short yardage situations and hampers the running game, too. Which leads me to-

Running Backs: Trent Richardson broke Jim Brown's rookie rushing record this year with 950 yards and 12 TD's. However, he's out(as reported in the link above) so Montario Hardesty(formely of the Vols) will start. This may not be a bad thing as Montario has seemed much more explosive than TRich this year(probably due to Richardson being injured throughout the season). Hardesty's problem, however, has been fumbling so look for the Steelers to try to strip the ball from him every chance they get. The backups are Brandon Jackson and Chris ogbanayah(spelling off!) who are serviceable, especially catching the ball off screen plays, but provide little in the run-game.

Receivers/Tight Ends: This is the true weakness of the Browns this year as we are extremely young at the position, hence serious inconsistencies from week to week. The best and most explosive WR is clearly Josh Gordon. He's big and fast and can run the "9" rout and Slant with the best of 'em. Unfortunately, he doesn't know any other routes yet so he's boom or bust from game-to-game. Look for him to have a 100 yard, 2 td game or 3 catches for 30 yards. There is NO in-between. Next on the list is Greg Little(yep, from UNCCH) who has blossomed the 2nd half of the year into a somewhat reliable possession receiver. With Pittsburgh likely blitzing often, look for Little to have a big day stat-wise. After those two, it's a tossup as to who could/would step up from a pool of: Travis Benjamin(speedy but small), Josh Cooper(great hands but that's it), Josh Cribbs(underutilized). The TE that will make a meaningful impact will be Ben Watson, again because of Pittsburgh's blitzing scheme, he may have a big day off of Hot Reads and seam passes.

Bottom Line: This could be a boom or bust day for Thad. If Thad's supporting cast plays to their potential, I expect him to have a strong day (i.e. 200+ passing yds, 1-2 TDs, 1 int.) If the Browns pull a Pacino("mail it in") then Thad could be knocked out of the game by the 2nd half. Both the Browns and Steelers have nothing to play for so the team that is more motivated will likely win. Cleveland beat Pittsburgh earlier this year so that may provide the motivation to even the score for the Steelers.

My prediction: Steelers 30 - Brownies 16.

GO THAD AND GO BROWNS!!!!

75Crazie
12-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Rooting really hard for Thad here, one of my all time favorite Duke players.

throatybeard
12-29-2012, 10:34 PM

Rooting really hard for Thad here, one of my all time favorite Duke players.

juise
12-30-2012, 02:54 AM
I'm guessing that the leadership change in the organization (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8791683/cleveland-browns-let-go-coach-pat-shurmur-gm-tom-heckert-report-says) will not be good for Thad, since the current regime brought him in after seeing him with the Rams. If so, I hope he lands on his feet and that Sunday's game opens opportunities.

sagegrouse
12-30-2012, 08:54 AM
I'm guessing that the leadership change in the organization (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8791683/cleveland-browns-let-go-coach-pat-shurmur-gm-tom-heckert-report-says) will not be good for Thad, since the current regime brought him in after seeing him with the Rams. If so, I hope he lands on his feet and that Sunday's game opens opportunities.

Go get 'em, Thad! Opportunity may knock but once.

sagegrouse

loran16
12-30-2012, 02:28 PM
Thad is 11/18 for 119 YDs, 0 TDs and 1 bad pick. Honestly not bad numbers and his receivers haven't helped (on an attempt at starting a 2 minute drill at the end of the half, his WR fumbled away the ball) but he probably needs to do super well to get a shot at starting next year.

fisheyes
12-30-2012, 02:31 PM
CLEVELAND BROWNS

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT

T. Lewis 11/18 119 0 1

PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT

B. Roethlisberger 8/12 56 1 0

COCO
12-30-2012, 02:41 PM
Thad Lewis just threw his first NFL touchdown. Who is the last Duke grad to have done that. Sonny Jurgenson?

Acymetric
12-30-2012, 02:42 PM
And Thad gets his first NFL touchdown!! Aside from that early pick he is looking really good. Commentators keep pointing out how he hangs tough in the pocket and gets throws off through contact...wonder where he picked that skill up ;)

DukeHLM'13
12-30-2012, 02:47 PM
Gotta love seeing former Dukies making plays in the NFL! Hopefully we start to see more of this in the future with what Cut has going right now.

Son of Jarhead
12-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Thad Lewis just threw his first NFL touchdown. Who is the last Duke grad to have done that. Sonny Jurgenson?

I'd guess the last was Dave Brown with the Giants, with Anthony Dilweg before that with the Packers.

BlueDevilBrowns
12-30-2012, 04:04 PM
Thad finished the day 22-32/ 204 yds with 1 td and 1 int. I thought a winning effort in a No-win situation. Congrats Thad on a solid job!

Jim3k
12-30-2012, 04:20 PM

Probably Dave Brown

sagegrouse
12-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Probably Dave Brown

Dave Brown had 44, last in 2000

Anthony Dilweg had 8, last in 1990

sage

-bdbd
12-30-2012, 04:32 PM

The top overall pick in the NFL's Supplemental Draft in 1992, Dave Brown played 6 years for the Giants and 4 years for the Cardinals. I didn't realize that he'd taken over from Phil Simms in NY. He made his last TD pass in the NFL in 2000. He appears to be doing pretty well now as a senior manager at Lehman Brothers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Brown_(quarterback)

http://www.nfl.com/player/davebrown/2499831/profile

CAREER STATSMORE
Season Team Passing Rushing Fumbles
G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate Att Yds Avg TD FUM Lost
2001 Arizona Cardinals 1 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- -- -- --
2000 Arizona Cardinals 6 2 40 69 58.0 467 6.8 2 3 10 53 70.1 1 0 0.0 0 2 2
1999 Arizona Cardinals 8 5 84 169 49.7 944 5.6 2 6 18 130 55.9 13 49 3.8 0 4 1
1998 Arizona Cardinals 1 0 2 5 40.0 31 6.2 0 0 1 6 61.2 1 2 2.0 0 -- --
1997 New York Giants 7 6 93 180 51.7 1,023 5.7 5 3 13 67 71.1 17 29 1.7 1 1 1
1996 New York Giants 16 16 214 398 53.8 2,412 6.1 12 20 49 276 61.3 50 170 3.4 0 9 6
1995 New York Giants 16 16 254 456 55.7 2,814 6.2 11 10 44 206 73.1 45 228 5.1 4 10 4
1994 New York Giants 15 15 201 350 57.4 2,536 7.2 12 16 42 248 72.5 60 196 3.3 2 11 3
1993 New York Giants 1 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 0.0 3 -4 -1.3 0 -- --
1992 New York Giants 2 0 4 7 57.1 21 3.0 0 0 4 19 62.2 2 -1 -0.5 0 -- --
TOTAL 892 1,634 54.6 10,248 6.3 44 58 181 1,005 67.9 192 669 3.5 7 37 17

OZZIE4DUKE
12-30-2012, 04:56 PM
The top overall pick in the NFL's Supplemental Draft in 1992, Dave Brown played 6 years for the Giants and 4 years for the Cardinals. I didn't realize that he'd taken over from Phil Simms in NY. He made his last TD pass in the NFL in 2000. He appears to be doing pretty well now as a senior manager at Lehman Brothers.

From thse link:
Brown had a successful career at Duke University (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_University). In his November 4, 1989, starting debut he threw for 444 yards against Wake Forest University (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_Forest_University), including a 97-yard touchdown (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touchdown) to wide receiver (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_receiver) Clarkston Hines to establish Duke’s longest play from scrimmage.[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Brown_%28quarterback%29#cite_note-3)

If someone would like to go and update wiki, this 97 yard pass reception is no longer a Duke record! :cool:

Bluedog
12-30-2012, 05:01 PM
He appears to be doing pretty well now as a senior manager at Lehman Brothers.

Probably not as well after 2008. ;) Mostly kidding-thanks for the info.

budwom
12-30-2012, 05:02 PM

http://www.nfl.com/player/davebrown/2499831/profile

CAREER STATSMORE
Season Team Passing Rushing Fumbles
G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate Att Yds Avg TD FUM Lost
2001 Arizona Cardinals 1 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- -- -- --
2000 Arizona Cardinals 6 2 40 69 58.0 467 6.8 2 3 10 53 70.1 1 0 0.0 0 2 2
1999 Arizona Cardinals 8 5 84 169 49.7 944 5.6 2 6 18 130 55.9 13 49 3.8 0 4 1
1998 Arizona Cardinals 1 0 2 5 40.0 31 6.2 0 0 1 6 61.2 1 2 2.0 0 -- --
1997 New York Giants 7 6 93 180 51.7 1,023 5.7 5 3 13 67 71.1 17 29 1.7 1 1 1
1996 New York Giants 16 16 214 398 53.8 2,412 6.1 12 20 49 276 61.3 50 170 3.4 0 9 6
1995 New York Giants 16 16 254 456 55.7 2,814 6.2 11 10 44 206 73.1 45 228 5.1 4 10 4
1994 New York Giants 15 15 201 350 57.4 2,536 7.2 12 16 42 248 72.5 60 196 3.3 2 11 3
1993 New York Giants 1 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 0.0 3 -4 -1.3 0 -- --
1992 New York Giants 2 0 4 7 57.1 21 3.0 0 0 4 19 62.2 2 -1 -0.5 0 -- --
TOTAL 892 1,634 54.6 10,248 6.3 44 58 181 1,005 67.9 192 669 3.5 7 37 17

Somehow I find it unlikely that he's doing well now at Lehman Brothers, what with them having totally screwed the pooch back during The Big Financial Meltdown.

Farlan
12-30-2012, 10:59 PM
Hopefully he has set himself up for more opportunities next year!

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/12/quick_slant_1.html

OldPhiKap
12-30-2012, 11:19 PM
Good luck Thad!

Jim3k
12-31-2012, 04:58 AM
On Sunday, Shurmur's starting quarterback didn't play yet still managed to look bad given the way Lewis moved the offense. The third-stringer made many crisp throws and quick decisions in finishing with a 83.3 passer rating against the league's top-rated defense. He didn't have a single pass batted or deflected. He was especially good at hitting receivers on slants and locating tight end Ben Watson over the middle.

His one big mistake came on the second possession with the Browns driving. Troy Polamalu stepped in front of Benjamin and intercepted a Lewis pass at the Pittsburgh 25.

He threw his first NFL touchdown early in the third quarter after special teams ace Ray Ventrone ran 35 yards on a fake punt. Lewis scrambled left, bought time and waited for Greg Little to flash open in the back of the end zone for a 7-yard strike to tie it at 10.

By Tom Reed (http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/12/thad_lewis_impresses_in_nfl_de.html)

Reed concluded with this:

It's unclear what the future holds for Lewis, but he did nothing except help his employment options Sunday. He answered some questions about his potential while raising others about that of Weeden's.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-31-2012, 08:26 AM
He threw his first NFL touchdown early in the third quarter after special teams ace Ray Ventrone ran 35 yards on a fake punt. Lewis scrambled left, bought time and waited for Greg Little to flash open in the back of the end zone for a 7-yard strike to tie it at 10.
As was pointed out in this morning's N&O, Thad's first TD pass was Duke to carolina. Funny how that worked out. :rolleyes:

Gewebe14
12-31-2012, 10:18 AM
As was pointed out in this morning's N&O, Thad's first TD pass was Duke to carolina. Funny how that worked out. :rolleyes:

My friends and I were talking about that... any way to see if it's ever happened before in the NFL? Crazy.

CrazyNotCrazie
12-31-2012, 10:36 AM
Is he going by Thad or Thaddeus now? I always thought he was Thad, but most of the references I saw to him were as Thaddeus. Just want to make sure to call the guy by his preferred name!

Farlan
01-05-2013, 03:30 PM
Nice article from the Herald-Sun about Thad's visit back to Duke after his big game!

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/x1898436801/Grateful-Lewis-returns-to-Duke-thanks-coaches.

nmduke2001
01-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Any idea what Chip Kelly to Cleveland would mean for Thad? Supposedly, Kelly and the Browns are working on a contract today.