PDA

View Full Version : Most historic year for Duke basketball... Ever?!

_TheFakeJWill_
08-26-2010, 09:57 PM
So i have been thinking lately, like most Duke basketball fans on this forum on what accomplishments this team could have this year. One can look for example...

Extending the non-conference home winning steak...

Beating UNC 3 or 4 or 5 times in a row...

Singler possibly and probably going down as the 3rd -5th best statical player to ever play at Duke...

Extending Camerons winning streak to more than 17 in a row...

Coach K going into 3rd...2nd... or 1st place in NCAAM Division 1 basketball when it comes to career wins...

K possibly going into 2nd place in NC if Duke wins their 5th...

Arguably our best freshman since J Will to come to Duke...

The list can go on and on, so after all the rambling (and numerous things i left out) could this be the greatest year of Duke basektball..... ever???? I'm thinking so IF our team can do the distance. Needless to say i think this year has the potential to be the best year for Duke basketball....... EVER! GO DUKE!

OldPhiKap
08-26-2010, 10:20 PM
I think that K's march towards the all-time men's Div-I NCAA win lead is probably the biggest "all-time" thing going as far as steaks, etc.

But as far as the upcoming year, this is a new team with a new identity and new challenges. What they do, or don't do, should have little to do with Duke History. It is a new year, it is a new destiny.

If we stay healthy next season, it could be a very special year. But this year's team does not owe history squat. They owe themselves the challenges of becoming the best team they can be. And in the end, that has to be enough because that's all they will be.

I am fairly confident that Kyle and Nolan don't particualry care about personal stats -- that is what made us a great TEAM last year, and if they were primarily driven by those stats they would not be back this year. Kyrie appears to be a once-in-a-decade kind of take-over guy. K is riding high and more energized than I have seen him in many a year. This could be a wonderful ride if they just let it happen and we stay healty.

As K said in the National Championship game with about 15 seconds to go -- "just be yourselves. Yourself is good enough." If we are fortunate enough to work our way to the Final Four next year, anything is possible.

RIP 'EM UP, TEAR 'EM UP, GIVEM HELL DUKE!!!!!!!

-- OPK

NashvilleDevil
08-27-2010, 08:44 PM
As K said in the National Championship game with about 15 seconds to go -- "just be yourselves. Yourself is good enough."

That quote still and probably always will give me chills.

MarkD83
08-28-2010, 06:07 AM
I think that K's march towards the all-time men's Div-I NCAA win lead is probably the biggest "all-time" thing going as far as steaks, etc.

But as far as the upcoming year, this is a new team with a new identity and new challenges. What they do, or don't do, should have little to do with Duke History. It is a new year, it is a new destiny.

If we stay healthy next season, it could be a very special year. But this year's team does not owe history squat. They owe themselves the challenges of becoming the best team they can be. And in the end, that has to be enough because that's all they will be.

I am fairly confident that Kyle and Nolan don't particualry care about personal stats -- that is what made us a great TEAM last year, and if they were primarily driven by those stats they would not be back this year. Kyrie appears to be a once-in-a-decade kind of take-over guy. K is riding high and more energized than I have seen him in many a year. This could be a wonderful ride if they just let it happen and we stay healty.

As K said in the National Championship game with about 15 seconds to go -- "just be yourselves. Yourself is good enough." If we are fortunate enough to work our way to the Final Four next year, anything is possible.

RIP 'EM UP, TEAR 'EM UP, GIVEM HELL DUKE!!!!!!!

-- OPK

Lets enjoy the ride and discuss the historical significance of the season when the season is over.

DevilDan
08-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Lets enjoy the ride and discuss the historical significance of the season when the season is over.

... Not one basket has been made, and not a single game is in the win column.

This thread is a BIT premature. I am excited that some great things are ahead, but it's all merely on paper at the moment.

That being said, as you read this ... HOW many days until TIPOFF ?????