PDA

View Full Version : Danny Ferry returns to the Spurs

JasonEvans
08-26-2010, 10:57 AM
He'll be VP of Basketball Operations according to Yahoo Sports. (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AuMAJHInZuEIKYYfn5r2nl7YrYZ4?slug=ys-ferryspurs082510)

Ferry has a strong comfort level with Popovich and GM R.C. Buford and believes a return to San Antonio can put him in position to become a GM again.

--Jason "the Spurs are a class organization, for sure!" Evans

yancem
08-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Good to see Ferry land back on his feet. I think he got a bum deal in Cleveland. And like Jason said, San Antonio is a class organization. I would love one or more of the Duke guys to end up there.

hq2
08-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Ferry did what he was supposed to; build the best team he could to win a title while LeBron
was still in Cleveland. The team didn't get it done, so Ferry got the blame, even though there
were a lot of reasons they lost. I don't think given the available personnel around the league
that he could have done much better. It's maybe just as well; the Cavs are going to be a
lousy team for a long time now. He wouldn't have had much to look forward to.

flyingdutchdevil
08-27-2010, 08:33 AM
Ferry did what he was supposed to; build the best team he could to win a title while LeBron
was still in Cleveland. The team didn't get it done, so Ferry got the blame, even though there
were a lot of reasons they lost. I don't think given the available personnel around the league
that he could have done much better. It's maybe just as well; the Cavs are going to be a
lousy team for a long time now. He wouldn't have had much to look forward to.

Agreed for the most part, but Ferry made some very poor choices, most notably bringing in Larry Hughes to be Lebron's Pippen.

The GM will always get blamed for not winning a championship and rightly so. He is the decision maker for all trades and draft picks and needs to get a team that will gel together and play well. Ferry did that for the most part, but could never seal the deal.

cf-62
08-28-2010, 02:20 AM
Danny is a Spur again - alright! I was always happy he was able to win a ring. FWIW, Barkley never got one - and Grant has won 7 or 8 playoff games - ever.