PDA

View Full Version : Perception of Coach K changing?

oldnavy
08-26-2010, 07:12 AM
After reading Hayes Permar's blog (linked in main page article about USA team), I am beginning to believe that some of the Coach K hate may be waning. This is the second time this week I have heard or read an avowed UNC fan and Duke/K hater say positive things about him. The first was when I jokingly asked a friend if he could spell Krzyzewski, and he said "yes G-R-E-A-T, but I still can't stand him". Ok, not exactly a warm embrace, but better than what I usually hear. Now with Hayes' blog about loving K... what is going on?

I think it is a combination of things that may have softened the hatred.
-Last years (overachieving?) team, which much was written about how there was no villain on the team to focus hate toward.
-K's and the program's deliberate effort to be more open and accessible.
-And probably most important, K's exposure as the USA team coach.

Most folks I know are very patriotic and pro-USA (well I did spend 20+ years in the military, so go figure), and even their hatred for Coach K cannot keep them from pulling for Team USA. And by seeing K perhaps for the first time in their lives without the Duke bias, they see that he is actually a GREAT coach and darn good man.

The best part of Hayes's article to me was the line about how UNC fans would rake K across the coals for comments that they are excusing Roy for. Many of us have been saying the same thing for a couple of years now. It is nice to see a UNC fan admit it for a change!

ohiodevil07
08-26-2010, 08:16 AM
First time posting here.

Not sure if it was intentional or not (or just bad editing), but Permar says in the article that he can spell Coach K's name without reference yet goes on to spell it incorrectly (twice) in the article.

I do think coaching Team USA can do nothing but help Coach K's perception, unless they start to lose again.

weezie
08-26-2010, 08:27 AM
I predict the green-eyed monster will resurface come, oh, sometime around the first tarhole team visit to Cameron in 2011.

moonpie23
08-26-2010, 08:56 AM
just visit the tarhole thread on Team USA over on IC.......hatred is in full bloom..

http://ui32.gamespot.com/479/702headbanginstick_4.gif

CameronBornAndBred
08-26-2010, 10:11 AM
just visit the tarhole thread on Team USA over on IC.......hatred is in full bloom..

Well, that's a given, and it always will be..but I think the OP's statement that the hate may be waning in the more general and unafilliated population will prove to be true. K is proving to be an excellent ambassador for the country and for the sport. People are able to associate him with more than just Duke. A large reason for the Duke hating is the success that Duke has had. The outsiders have often assumed that the program must be doing something shady for them to have so much success, and now he's proving his coaching works outside of college basketball on the world stage. No "questionable" recruiting to complain about, just a coach who has managed to take some of the biggest egos on the planet and get them to work as a team towards a common goal..for the good of the country. Once they saw that success at the olympics, and then saw him have the same success with a team that wasn't supposed to have such success..it's hard not to pull for the guy.
Unless of course you're a carolina fan. So throw them out of the equation, and I think Oldnavy's on to something.

Lord Ash
08-26-2010, 10:50 AM
This could be true, for sure... K's accomplishments have reached the point where no one can possibly downplay them. He is coaching for the USA, which makes it almost vaguely unpatriotic to trash talk him. The team itself hasn't been too hated recently. And finally, I think that over the last few years K himself seems to have calmed down a bit during actual games... I know that the traditional shot of Coach being furious during a game seems to have faded a bit over the last three or so years.

So maybe put all that together and attitude has changed a little?

flyingdutchdevil
08-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Definitely agree that the bball community is taking a stronger liking to Coach K. His accomplishments in the last 2 years have been fantastic and, as many pointed out, he has definitely calmed down. Players left and right seem to love him, and he's become more likable in interviews.

That said, people still hate Duke like crazy. While Duke will always to associated with Coach K and vice versa, Coach K being more liked has little influence on Duke being liked. People still hate us, and probably always will (I wouldn't have it any other way ;)).

oldnavy
08-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Well, that's a given, and it always will be..but I think the OP's statement that the hate may be waning in the more general and unafilliated population will prove to be true. K is proving to be an excellent ambassador for the country and for the sport. People are able to associate him with more than just Duke. A large reason for the Duke hating is the success that Duke has had. The outsiders have often assumed that the program must be doing something shady for them to have so much success, and now he's proving his coaching works outside of college basketball on the world stage. No "questionable" recruiting to complain about, just a coach who has managed to take some of the biggest egos on the planet and get them to work as a team towards a common goal..for the good of the country. Once they saw that success at the olympics, and then saw him have the same success with a team that wasn't supposed to have such success..it's hard not to pull for the guy.
Unless of course you're a carolina fan. So throw them out of the equation, and I think Oldnavy's on to something.

Exactly, you said it better than I did. Thanks!

OldPhiKap
08-26-2010, 04:25 PM
I am not sure who (other than a committed rival) could watch the National Championship game and not have respect for every participant -- player and coach alike. The way K handled the David v. Golaith angle -- "we have a pretty damn good story, too" -- was excellent. And, as noted, the fact that the best professional players in the world are all singing his praises has to help.

But the pedals will be off this thorny rose by mid-season I suspect.

Billy Dat
08-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Let's see what happens if Team USA does not win....will the love fest commence? Perish the thought...but still food for thought.

CameronBornAndBred
08-26-2010, 09:14 PM
Let's see what happens if Team USA does not win....will the love fest commence? Perish the thought...but still food for thought.
I think K and company would survive fine. Yes, obviously there will be backlash from some folks, media included...but I think they would also recognize that this team is still not the best the US has to offer. I doubt others realize how cool the Spain win was (meaning not your rabid basketball fan), but coaching won that game more than game play did. That was a good experience for the team, and for K and his staff. Another thought about the chance of them losing, I think it would take a bad loss for eyebrows to be raised. Even if Spain had won that game on their last shot, it would still have been looked at as a good game..and losses happen.

ElSid
08-27-2010, 12:50 AM
Love the idea of this post. I think it's mildly true. Maybe more than mildly. I'd attribute most of the thawing to the way he helped win the Olympics, and then to a lesser extent, the way he won the NCAAT in 2010...and that maybe thawed some folks out because their familiar narrative about "why Duke (and K) sucks" got completely undone. Again, probably why it was the most satisfying sports victory I've ever experienced.

But this national team is unique, and kind of awesome. I'm certainly interested in it because you got the old horse Billups, then a ton of very young kids who should be in college right now, age wise. So it's kind of like an all star college team of yore with a few cagey veterans for leadership. It's a project. Kind of no-namers in the rest of the world. If he can win with this group, it's the international equivalent of winning the NCAAT with Scheyer at the point and Zoubek in the block...a totally admirable surprise.

ice-9
08-28-2010, 12:08 AM
Coach K's work with the national team definitely helps. The Olympics team restored national pride and the current World's "B team" is very likable and so far getting it done.

As for the college basketball scene, as always, respect is correlated with success in the NCAA tournament. Do well there, and people will accord you with respect even if they don't necessarily like you. Flame out early, and with someone of Coach K's high profile, the mob will come out with their torches and hates and shouted denigration.

It's just like real life, except compressed over the months of March and April on a basketball court.