PDA

View Full Version : Ish Smith Update

jimsumner
08-23-2010, 09:11 PM
From Wake Forest press release

"Former Wake Forest guard Ishmael Smith has signed a multi-year contract with the Houston Rockets, as announced by the team on Monday.

Smith, who graduated from Wake Forest in May, went undrafted but received an invitation to play on the Rockets’ summer league team last month in Las Vegas. Smith impressed the team during the summer league, averaging 7.8 points and 4.8 assists per game and shooting 58 percent from the floor.

Smith is expected to compete for time at the point guard spot with veterans Aaron Brooks and Kyle Lowry. Brooks is entering his fourth season with the Rockets, while Lowry is entering his third with the franchise."

FYI

SilkyJ
08-23-2010, 10:06 PM

"Former Wake Forest guard Ishmael Smith has signed a multi-year contract with the Houston Rockets, as announced by the team on Monday."

Thanks, Jim. I didn't follow Ish this summer, but I have to admit that I am surprised (pleasantly) by this. I never saw Ish as being an NBA-caliber PG, just too small and not a good shooter (though incredibly quick and with great athleticism, I just thought 6-0 with no jumper would be too much to overcome). But kudos to him for earning a contract. Hopefully he sticks in the L and can parlay that it into a bigger second contract in a couple years.

left_hook_lacey
08-23-2010, 10:57 PM
I used to love to watch Ish Smith play. It's true he made some mistakes over the course of a game, but he was entertaining to watch. The good thing is he can work on his weaknesses such as outside shooting and decision making. I'm assuming that the Rocket's being "impressed" with him means that he has already improved in those areas. With a little work, he could become a watered-down Rondo.

Speaking of Wake Forest guards, whatever happened to Jeff Teague? He was even better that Ish in college, but I'm not sure where his career landed him in the NBA if at all.

Newton_14
08-23-2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks, Jim. I didn't follow Ish this summer, but I have to admit that I am surprised (pleasantly) by this. I never saw Ish as being an NBA-caliber PG, just too small and not a good shooter (though incredibly quick and with great athleticism, I just thought 6-0 with no jumper would be too much to overcome). But kudos to him for earning a contract. Hopefully he sticks in the L and can parlay that it into a bigger second contract in a couple years.

My first impression was "very surprised", for all the same reasons you listed. Great talent, but small with unreliable jumper.

However, on 2nd thought, with the "no hand check" NBA rule, I can see Ish blowing by defenders all day and he is a great distributor. So looking at it that way, this makes more sense. I wish him well.

JBDuke
08-24-2010, 12:02 AM

"Former Wake Forest guard Ishmael Smith has signed a multi-year contract with the Houston Rockets, as announced by the team on Monday.

Smith, who graduated from Wake Forest in May, went undrafted but received an invitation to play on the Rockets’ summer league team last month in Las Vegas. Smith impressed the team during the summer league, averaging 7.8 points and 4.8 assists per game and shooting 58 percent from the floor.

Smith is expected to compete for time at the point guard spot with veterans Aaron Brooks and Kyle Lowry. Brooks is entering his fourth season with the Rockets, while Lowry is entering his third with the franchise."

FYI

How the heck did Ish Smith average 8 pts a game on 58% shooting? He never shot better than 43% at Wake, and didn't average in double figures until his senior year.

However he did it, congrats!

Duvall
08-24-2010, 12:20 AM
How the heck did Ish Smith average 8 pts a game on 58% shooting? He never shot better than 43% at Wake, and didn't average in double figures until his senior year.

However he did it, congrats!

He escaped from the Gaudio Zone.

killerleft
08-24-2010, 08:53 AM
He escaped from the Gaudio Zone.

LOL. Sadly, it sure looked like nobody should be stuck in the Gaudio Zone.

COYS
08-24-2010, 09:06 AM
Speaking of Wake Forest guards, whatever happened to Jeff Teague? He was even better that Ish in college, but I'm not sure where his career landed him in the NBA if at all.

He's on my Hawks. Didn't get much burn during his rookie campaign last year. Shooting and pure point guard skills are his weaknesses. We'll have to see how he develops, but I think it will take a few years before his basketball IQ catches up with his physical talents and package of skills.

Rudy
08-24-2010, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the news. WF has been my second favorite ACC team for a decade or more. At the ACC tournament last spring it was sad to see the whole team quit except for Ish. I, too, thought his jump shot was too weak to make it in the NBA. I really like his hustle and pluck.

JasonEvans
08-24-2010, 11:28 AM
He's on my Hawks. Didn't get much burn during his rookie campaign last year. Shooting and pure point guard skills are his weaknesses. We'll have to see how he develops, but I think it will take a few years before his basketball IQ catches up with his physical talents and package of skills.

The Hawks are extreme, extremely high on Teague and expect him to play a lot of minutes at PG this year, perhaps even be the starter. Most folks in Atlanta recognize that the team cannot go far with the aging Mike Bibby at PG. Teague will be given every chance to prove his worth as an NBA PG this year.

--Jason "I sure hope he succeeds!" Evans

COYS
08-24-2010, 11:38 AM
The Hawks are extreme, extremely high on Teague and expect him to play a lot of minutes at PG this year, perhaps even be the starter. Most folks in Atlanta recognize that the team cannot go far with the aging Mike Bibby at PG. Teague will be given every chance to prove his worth as an NBA PG this year.

--Jason "I sure hope he succeeds!" Evans

I hope so, too. Actually, considering how hamstrung the Hawks are with Joe Johnson's contract (which will keep us as the 3-4 best team in the East for another two years, I hope) a LOT is riding on Teague developing into a good NBA PG as we won't be able to add much in the way of high impact players in the next few years. I realize that my post seems to be a little down on Teague. I didn't meant that to imply that the Hawks have given up on him. I just meant to imply that I think Teague will need a year or two more of seasoning and building his basketball IQ before he will have a chance to be a star like he was in college.

JasonEvans
08-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Here is an article (http://soaringdownsouth.com/2010/08/13/teague-has-to-win-starting-pg-spot/) on the Hawks plans for Teague this upcoming season.

There is a lot of pressure being put on Jeff Teague at this point. The fact is, the Hawks need him to play because his length, quickness, and athleticism gives him a lot of potential defensively. If the Hawks improve defensively on the perimeter, it will be because Jeff Teague is performing well.

Overall, I’m 50/50 on whether I think Jeff will turn out to be an above average starting point guard in the NBA. I do like his length, quickness, and athleticism. I like his ability to break down the defense and get to the rim whenever he wants to. He showed during summer league action that no one playing in that league could stay in front of him, and I really don’t see that changing against legitimate NBA competition.

--Jason "a big Teague fan" Evans

SilkyJ
08-24-2010, 12:36 PM
Shooting and pure point guard skills are his weaknesses.

Funny you say that b/c I always thought he was a tremendous shooter (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=36121). He shot ~40% from 3 his freshman year and 44% his sophomore year. Maybe he hasn't adjusted to the extended range in the NBA yet...

pfrduke
08-24-2010, 12:51 PM

FYI

I suppose this just goes to show that, to get an NBA job, all you need to do is impress a couple of people at the right time. Kudos to Ish.

From the Rockets point of view, though, why sign him to a multi-year deal? Was there really that much competition for him that they needed to make a multi-year offer? Maybe they thought they needed to offer him enough incentives not to go off to Europe? I mean, I guess it's not too big a deal to have a few hundred thousand dollars guaranteed to him past this season, but it seems like an unnecessary guarantee all the same.

Rudy
08-24-2010, 03:48 PM
I looked back at Smith's stats at WF on shooting and sure enough, they're pretty atrocious for someone aspiring to be a guard in the NBA.

Overall FG% not too bad, from Fr to Sr year -- .429, .426, .430, .420

But from the trey: .354, .338, .241, .222

And just as bad from the line, with Jr year the exception: .462, .291, .789, .494

JasonEvans
08-24-2010, 09:55 PM
From the Rockets point of view, though, why sign him to a multi-year deal? Was there really that much competition for him that they needed to make a multi-year offer? Maybe they thought they needed to offer him enough incentives not to go off to Europe? I mean, I guess it's not too big a deal to have a few hundred thousand dollars guaranteed to him past this season, but it seems like an unnecessary guarantee all the same.

My bet is that none of the contract is guaranteed. The reason it is a multi-year deal is to protect the Rockets and keep Ish from being a free agent after one year if he plays well. This way, Houston gets to keep him cheap for a couple years (if they want to keep him at all). It is fairly standard for undrafted or 2nd round picks to get multi-year deals. It is not really a sign of the player being unusually good (other than being good enough to get a contract in the first place). For example, I am fairly sure that Shav signed a 2-year deal with Philly when he first went there after being undrafted.

--Jason "props to Ish, I certainly did not think the NBa was in his future-- he still has to make the roster, but this is a nice feather in his cap" Evans